Today on CNN Newsroom

December 29th, 2009

Increased Airport Security

Many of you have been through airports across the country since Christmas day.
Are you experiencing long delays or security searches after the foiled terror attack?
We want to hear from you! Leave your comments here!

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. Richard St. Romain

It's amazing that Americans will allow doctors to examine every crack & crevis of their bodies if we have any discomfort, but NOT to prevent that same body from being burned & blown to bits by demonic people. Solution is:
    Passangers who value LIFE (theirs & others) board flights that do ALL exams & scans useful to prevent killing good productive people. Plane would be identified as such.
    Passangers who value "privacy" more than life, would board planes that have less, little or no scanning (not required to remove head covers, etc.) Those planes would be identified. Air lines would NOT be required to compensate families if those planes are blown up. Dick St. Romain

December 29, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  2. pimpin

a what would you do if someone make explosives the shape of bones and stuff

December 29, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  3. David

Good spin wrong question. No technology in the world will make air travel safer if the government can't coordinate what a terrorist's name on a list means to safety....

David

December 29, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  4. R. Little

This is the first intelligent comments I have seen on real Security since 911. We have wasted $Billions on useless fake security measures and ignored real measures that will stop those who would do us harm. Reading the others comments it seems that no one actually read the article. The key is that such acts are extremely rare and we act as if EVERY US CITIZEN and EVERY VISITOR IS A TERRORIST - it seem they have already won by destroying our society. In the recent case we only needed to use information we ALREADY HAD! to stop it, the same applies to all known such attempts and clearly to all those we don't know about. We need to respond to these criminals with bravado and the truth, that they are sub-human cowards that will be caught & tried like any other criminal. They deserve no respect or recognition and the more we do that by naming their organization, changing our laws to 'RESTRICT OUR OWN RIGHTS' the more we encourage them to do more. Its not a 'War on Terror', Its a war on criminals, specific people. Target those criminals NOT citizens! Profiling is Essential to stop these criminals! We have a list of 550,000 of these criminals - Profiling is matching people to those lists! - He USED HIS OWN NAME TO BOARD THE PLANE! Duh!! READ the article and ACT!

December 29, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  5. robert wallace

Let me get this straight; the TSA confiscates my sons 4.2 oz toothpaste and my brides 3.5 oz shampoo but lets on board a citizen of a foreign country whose passport shows multiple visits to a terrorst country, and buys a one way ticket for CASH with no checked baggage AND I am supposed to feel safer?

December 29, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  6. Kris

My question is why does the American public have to suffer with increased security because various intelligence agencies can not do their jobs? Had the INS been doing it's job, most of the 9/11 bombers would not have been in this county. The Christmas day bomber was a known problem. The agencies MUST do their jobs before the traveling American public is put through any more "increased security". It would be far more cost effective for the Intelligence agencies to do their jobs then to increase airport security, especially since the TSA is not consistent from airport to airport. As someone that has flown a lot since 9/11, I have seen TSA agents abuse their power and have had enough. I have been in airports, San Diego, where the TSA agents did not speak any English. I wish someone would put them under a microscope and do a real analysis of their success at stopping terrorists.

December 29, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  7. BradT

I agree with and welcome increased security. I travel weekly and actually as I type this message I am 37,000 feet above Arizona. Security at my originating airport was no different than the norm from my angle as my carry on gets searched by TSI about every other trip due to its dense contents. I always say thank you to them and everyone else should as well. In the event body scans become mandantory then so-be-it. If you are opposed to such levels of security I suggest you choose another mode of transportation.

December 29, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  8. Id

Hey Tony, was the message I left here earlier regarding the event in Lagos with online link stripped off? Let me know so I know not to comment here

December 29, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  9. Kate Eellis

I hope a consesnus is building to end random searching of people like me, a Caucasian grandmother. Some have said that "profiling" Muslins violates our core values, but even though most of the world's Muslim population are not jihadists, all jihadists are Muslims. If they travel to Yemen or Afghanistan or Pakistan, they are not going there for a vacation. I submit to full body scans all the time because I have metal knees, but this guy figured out to sew his materials near his genitals, where patting is not done. There are ways to get past a human scan, in other words, but not an effective electronic one. We need these machines everywhere.

December 29, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  10. Jake

A full body scan will be useless.Next they are going to try to swallow the bomb making material and regorgitate it in the bathroom. what about other biological substances. we have to be smarter instead of being reactionary and just making things more dificult for Americans. I can think of a hundread ways to counter terorisim if only the will listen

December 29, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  11. BradT

Departed Southern California this AM and currently at 37,000 feet. Did not experience anything I would call a security delay. I travel weekly so I think I can comment from experience. Tons of travelers this AM but security was very efficient.

Thumbs up to the TSI for performing their thankless duties.

December 29, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  12. rather not say

Tony,
    Did you know that Customs and Border Protection HAD Bomb sniffing dogs that searched people? Unfortunately the program was done away with in Sept. of this year! Why, in the we live in today would they do this?

December 29, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  13. Craig

No, I haven't experienced any more than the usual delays or security checks. But, I also don't agree with the so called profiling that extends to the point about people using money to pay for their traveling expenses. Profiling is good to a certain point, but the use of money to pay for expenses shouldn't be part of that. Many Americans use cash to pay for everything so this where the problem would with profiling on the sole basis the person used cash to pay their traveling expenses.

December 29, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  14. Robin Di Carlo

I have been though the body scanner back in October (which was a domestic flight) and thought it was a great security measure, nor did I take offence to it.
    Now with the recent threat, I think that the more security measure are due.
    Just adjust your time accordingly

December 29, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  15. Gary

Hi Tony,
    It seems strange that we protect our computers, cell phones, and credit crds but cant seem to keep our airplanes and airports secure. As long as these groups (taliban and others) are out there and we know what their intentions are we should always be alert and expecting them to try these plots. And if lines are long and you have to wait too bad... Welcome to the real world......

December 29, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  16. shawn murphy

Tony
    I am baffled. I am a road construction worker so I fly all the time. Just last year in Jacksonville I was pulled into a room and strip searched trying to get home. When I asked why they said red flags went off when I payed cash for one way ticket. I had family emergency so that was what I had to do. It boggles my mind that I was searched and a non american wasnt under same circumstances.
    peace

December 29, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  17. Bruce

My approach would be the answer to "What does El Al do?" They have years of experience as a landlocked nation surrounded by those intent on the destruction of Israel.

December 29, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  18. Marcia Benson

My question is...
    What kind of security is offered for the luggage that is put on the plane?
    My daughter worked for NWA, and lost her job to people who worked for
    less pay, and they were from various parts of the world, such as Nigeria.
    She offered her opinion to the FBI as to how easy it was for such employees to stuff a bomb into luggage being put on the planes. I am
    surprised that this method has not been used by extremists. She was at
    work on 9/11 and saw the Nigerians jumping up and down with job on
    the flightlline. The FBI, as far as she was concerned, did not respond to
    her questions.

December 29, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  19. Greg Duparc

Dear Tony

I am French and i come a lot because of my fiancé who is american and living in Dallas.

I came 5 times in 18months. I ll tell that the main security problem comes from the foreign country airport control.

And i don't really see the point of increasing the control for flight leaving the US. The target is your country so maybe you should oblige the other countries to increase their security as you did for the trade by boat with the C-TPAT regulation.

I am now unhappy with the terrorist as i ll need hours of security to go back home..........

December 29, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  20. Gary Miceli

Things should change; different methods considered

IWe can simplify our – and the world's – airline security problems; without million dollar machines and billion dollar labor costs..

1. – Airline passengers must be searched individually by hand and X-ray or similar device; privately, in a room. The Isrealis have that down pat. Passengers must be permitted to carry absolutely nothing of their own. Necessary medication and like items, would be provided by previous order and meet them at the aircraft. (This would remove any threat of disguising explosives as medication or anything else). People would have to learn to fly for a few hours without their own Tic Tacs or eye shadow. Safe items of many kinds can be made available for sale on the aircraft.

2. – What used to be carry-on luggage should limited to personal necessities and be carried in the belly of the aircraft, either searched or in sealed bomb proof containers. This will allow passengers to claim needed personal items upon arrival just like checked luggage used to be claimed. It will also free up a lot of space and weight. Aircraft can be re-fitted with more seats or travel consuming less fuel, or some combination of both. Take your choice.

3 – Checked baggage never travels with passengers. One separate aircraft would/could carry several flights worth of baggage and meet passengers at their destination. No security would be necessary to protect baggage. Almost all cost of examining checked baggage would be eliminated. The cost of sending one aircraft full of baggage for several flights to the same destination would not even approach the cost of examining all baggage.

There's more.

December 29, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  21. Marcia Benson

My question is...
    What kind of security is offered for the luggage that is put on the plane?
    My daughter worked for NWA, and lost her job to people who worked for
    less pay, and they were from various parts of the world, such as Nigeria.
    surprised that this method has not been used by extremists. She was at
    work on 9/11 and saw the Nigerians jumping up and down with joy on
    the flightlline. The FBI, as far as she was concerned, did not respond to
    her questions.

December 29, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  22. Cathy

I can see US airlines adhering to the new TSA rules, e.g. no one walking around last hour of flight, but I would think the foreign airliners could do what they want. Maybe these are the passengers arriving without any special security precautions taken....

December 29, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  23. jay pattison

flew domestic in canada and ther was no delays. Flying should not be your right but a privelege. If you want to fly or you are a frequent flier you should submit yourself to extreme screening associated with a retna and finger print scan. A seperate securety line is for these people that have been pre screned. They get securety scanned as per todays standards. People that do not subject themsels to the rigorus pre screening as mentioned above have a seperate securety line and are screened with all of the latest screening equipnent and basicly put through the ringer.

December 29, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  24. Max

I recently flew from San Jose, Costa Rica to Atlanta. The added security measures I encountered were that bomb sniffing dogs were checking out people's bags as they checked them in, we went through a manual body and bag search at the gate, no liquids (including ones bought in the airport) were allowed to be brought into the plane, and the "one-hour rule" was enforced. And although the "one-hour rule" was inconvenient (and somewhat unnecessary, in my mind), none of these added security measures caused any major delay.

December 29, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  25. gabriel

The delays are being caused by intelligence services not doing their job.

December 29, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  26. Becky

I'm all for safety, but the idea of a full body scan on every traveller is a little frightening. I have two questions – 1: what type of technology will be used in the scanning process (x-ray involving radiation?) As a 3 time cancer survivor who travels a lot, I'm not inclined to want any more radiation exposure than necessary – nor should the workers be exposed to the impact of scanning the thousands of travellers through airports daily, 2: Will the scan show extra padding inside clothing, like menstrual pads or "Depends." If so, what kind of scrutiny will that bring on the person wearing these items? If it won't show the extra padding, then what is the point of doing it?

December 29, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  27. Bob Sparrow

I certainly felt the impact of disrupted air travel on my recent flight from Winnipeg, Canada to Fort Myers, Florida.
    Long waits to clear security as well as strict carry on limitations make one think twice about travelling. This really concerns me as I am in the accommodation industry – the adverse effect on the hospitality sector is certainly felt on both sides of the border.

December 29, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  28. Vicky, Jersey City

The truth of the matter is that there is really no need for increase in airport security measures only if the higher authorities concerned did their job such as the U.S. Embassy and the Department of State making it sure that ALL NAMES included in the terrorist list regardless of levels must have immediate background investigations and be restricted from flying or even acquiring passports. Best example is when the father of the December 25th suspect already reported his son's name to the U.S. Embassy on November 19, 2009, thereafter the Department of State was informed accordingly and yet it is apparent that the government agency concerned did not do whatever is necessary ASAP. November 19 to December 25 equals more than one month. The big question mark is why does the public have to suffer severely everytime a government agency fails to efficiently do its job? I will be happy to hear what disciplinary measures are being done to awaken those government agencies who failed to do their job efficiently. The core of the problem does not begin in airports, rather they begin from the point where concerned government agencies have to perform their roles efficiently.

December 29, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  29. William

Hi Tony, Just watching your show. Its not the security problem here in North America, the breach occurred in Lagos and Amsterdam.Why arent we talking more about this? I will listen for your comments.

December 29, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  30. michael armstrong sr. TX.

This proublem is caused from one faith no other people's are trying to kill us why are we not concentrating on the Muslim people instead of this none since of going after every one.

December 29, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  31. William

Another thing Tony, what did the officials do in Amsterdam about the elder Indian guy who tried to get the Nigerian on the plane by saying he was Sudanese and didnt have a passport?

December 29, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  32. Jill

Why is the news NOT talking about the American citizens who saved everyones lives from the attempted terrorist attack?? Where the multi-trillion dollar US government agencies failed, the American citizens succeeded. I would like to know who these TRUE American heroes are– they are an inspiration to us all.

December 29, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  33. Evan

On the 26th things were as usual at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International, but the 27th there was stricter screening. Its funny that it took a day for TSA to sort guidelines and implement "new" procedures.

In the past though, I've experienced relaxed screening at Hartsfield numerous times compared to other airports. When I fly home to Atlanta out of Regan-National, Dulles, LaGuardia, and especially smaller airports such as Jackson-Evers International (Jackson, Mississippi), Pensacola, Florida, I experience stricter screening. For instance, in Atlanta– you can get 2 ziplock bags of carry on liquid through; but the smaller airports are quick to notice and make you throw away your items. I feel the screening in Amsterdam may have been too relaxed due to passenger volume. If my personal experience as an American citizen at Atlanta's Hartsfield vs. an airport in Pensacola, Florida, is deemed as a threat due to Atlanta not being at the top of their game at original screening, than radical extremists will find ways to get through the busiest airports. I feel the reason D.C. and New York have stricter screening is because of their location and population basis. Midway and O'Hare in Chicago is the same way as Atlanta...too relaxed. LAX...too relaxed.

Atlanta needs to hire more TSA screeners for increased passenger volume and the TSA workers at the screening belt need not be talking gossip and what they are doing later.

Bottom line: The busier airports need to step up their game as if they are a smaller airport. This would help the secuirty watch and keep American citizens safer.

December 29, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  34. Michael Abbott

I am a frequent traveler to various destinations. I came back on December 27 with a flight Paris – Detroit.
    In Paris was a higher security with different levels. The regular check and then close to the flight gates for planes to the US, an individual check where everybody had to empty all pockets before one got padded down. Then one had to move to a second line where the carry on got checked intensively. Lots of the National Police was around to observe.
    I remember times when this was done before. NW always had a separate, additional screening within the check-in area. I assume that the airlines had to pay for the extra security and they started to cut corners.
    Our flight was pleasant and timely. Only the new instructions were misunderstood by our crew. They told us in the beginning that we would have to stay seated “after” landing and there would be people coming to question us.
    Immigration and customs worked smoothly.
    The delay of my journey came with the flight Detroit – Omaha. First there was a wait for de-icing, then to wait for a start position. All together was the delay about 2 hours just for the small last leg.

As to the body screening, I am hoping that the people you are interviewing are better than their answers.
    We all know our bodies and we are going through different stages in our life. This is not a secret. I am now 66 and my belly sacked. This means that I have an area where one part of my stomach is hiding another part of my lower body! It’s easy to hide something there. What about hiding stuff in other body cavities? Ask our felons, male or female, they can teach you how to do it.

As to the full body screen, I can’t imagine that there wills a picture that sharp to arouse somebody. It’s a lot about nothing and if it helps to keep me safe, I welcome the new technique.
    Last not least, I had a nice conversation with a French who told me the story that a friend who was waiting for the green card, got his green card delayed by two years because he tried to smuggle a sausage into the country! Very good, and what is our Government doing if they know about the suspect? They let him fly!
    In two weeks I am leaving again this time for Kenya. Will see what is going to happen there.

December 29, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  35. Dan

It's amazing. The media is making a big deal out of our airport security. Refresh my memory, but didn't this plane originate in Nigeria and stop in Amsterdam?
    The answer is a resounding YES. So, my question is, how was that a lapse in American airport security?
    Let's ask our Dutch allies why they allowed this thug on the plane.

December 29, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  36. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Maybe our people are so afraid of discrimination that they feel that none profiling is worth taking chances with our lives.

December 29, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  37. Dan

Let's think about this.
    The Muslims claim to be a PEACEFUL religion; however, with the exception of the Oklahoma City bombing, in the last 50 years, what religion did the terrorist claim to be? Not to peaceful in my mind. It sounds like a religion of destruction. Need I say more?

December 29, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  38. Vicky, Jersey City

The big question mark is why does the public have to suffer severely when respective government agencies fail to do their job? Stricter airport security measures is not even necessary if ALL NAMES in the terrorist lists are taken seriously. Terrorists are terrorists.

December 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  39. James in Idaho

Actually Tony, the problem comes in with what Frances Townsend jsut said... namely, that this stuff is an art rather than a science. We, the people, dont' want artistic license screwing up the science of detecting and preventing terror attacks. Profiling of odd behavior is good, but racial profiling is unnecessary, ineffective and horrid. People also need to know enough abotu others cultures to understand the difference between odd behavior, and "just not like you." Otherwise, we get the Manzanar effect that leads us further and further down an Orwellian society.

December 29, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  40. James in Idaho

Actually Vicky, the real problem is, we can no longer trust Intelligence agency assurances. You say a terrorist is a terrorist... okay... well, following that line of thinking... who decides who is and who is not a terrorist? If you say the CIA well, maybe then you shoudl consider their track rtecord under the Bush Administration, and then decide whther or not their assurances alone are good enough.

December 29, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  41. Rory Welper

I have and do fly internationally for business and leisure but what I perhaps most amazed by is our focus on US security. NWA flight from Amsterdam to Detroit has been scrutinized as a US failure, not a failure of the Netherlands to stop and secure the bomber from Nigeria. What gives here? CNN needs to turn some attention to the skies of other countries and their policies as flying internal to the USA is as safe as it has ever been.

December 29, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  42. Susan

Re:Bush's Homeland Security Advisor advice: Do you mean to say that we HAVEN"T BEEN looking deeper into anyone who makes 'the list' to see just how much of a threat they are?!? So THATS why we've had so many babies and politicians mistakenly kept from flying by idiots who can't tell the difference between a potential terrorist and an 18 month-old child who happen to share the same name.

December 29, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  43. James

The TSA should be training dogs to sniff out the PETN powder. These dogs are a huge asset to airport security area's......

December 29, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  44. Thaissa

I am having lots of delays. But as long as my travel is safe... I ask to continue all securitys !!!

December 29, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  45. Geoff Dubrowsky

We need to first make sure the TSA is hiring true US citizens who speak english clearly and pay them properly. I am a traveler who is extremely concerned at places like Newark that the screeners are mostly of foriegn descent.

December 29, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  46. Cesar

Tony, I'll be flying tomorrow, not sure how security searches are at this moment, but I think we are not focusing on the root cause of the problem which is how come we received the information from Umar's FATHER and we did nothing? What you think it would take for a FATHER call the authorities and make that statement? Has the person that received the information been fired already? Who did not connected the dots? The population will now be put in a terror feelling because someone is not doing his job, the good people will be treated as terrorists while the terrorists themselves are not. X-ray the population wont solve the problem, this is only remediating a prior error to fake real actions.

Happy New Year,
    Cesar

December 29, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  47. Leslie

If your privacy in this circumstance is more valuable than your life, you are free to find a different mode of travel. And I add my own concerns to Susan's – Why haven't we been looking more closely at those who make the various "lists?" Seems these people should be put under pretty fierce examination!

December 29, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  48. Steve H

Are you kidding me? I can't ready my book or magazine the last hour of a flight? The next thing they will do is require to have our wrists handcuffed to the seats in front of us for the last hour.

December 29, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  49. they're afraid of being sued............

If you're not PC, THEY'LL SUE!.........:-(

December 29, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  50. Cindy Swetland

Tony, Just watching your program on airport security. My question is, "What are foreign airports doing about more security. Can NATO get them to increas their security? I am totally in favor of increased security.

December 29, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  51. Rebecca

Brian Todd just interviewed an expert who said that airline check-in personnel can often play a key part in identifying would-be hijackers or bombers before they board planes. The last time I flew out of Dulles on United Airlines I was checked in by someone who could not speak or understand english and could not answer any questions about my flight. I contacted United at the airport and was told that the function had been outsourced to another company (not United employees, not TSA employees). If the expert is correct, it appears that United has put a cost-cutting measure in place that removes a key barrier to entry for those who want to harm us. Why are these changes allowed? Has United changed the policy given recent events? How many other airlines have done this at key airports around the country? CNN, please follow-up.

December 29, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  52. Alex

I think it's increased security at US airports is a knee-jerk reaction to what happened on the Amsterdam to Detroit flight. What is needed is increased security on inbound flights into the US from other countries. I fly frequently and find no common sense being used by TSA employees. I also feel news programs put out too much information about suspects and their methods used to attempt to destroy a plane in the air.

December 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  53. Jim

Can the full body scanners see inside orifices? So-called "low-dose" backscatter X-ray scanning, is still of a higher, more energetic frequency than ultraviolet. UV, from the sun and tanning salons can cause cancer. No one can guarantee these X-rays scanners are safe. Millimeter wave scanners are likely OK because, unlike X-ray, it is not ionizing.

December 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  54. zizi

We are talking alot about the different lists out there sometimes we get ahead of ourselfs bottom line..If you make a list shouldn't it be checked twice to find out if your naughty or nice in one sence or another regardless if it is list a,b,c,d etc...

December 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  55. Leslie

Profiling – a tough subject – BUT, it could be argued that people who are not American citizens have not earned the protection of our Constitution.

December 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  56. Jim Gorman

Being confined to your seat, for extended periods of time, does not bode well for those passengers who could be prone to DVT.

If the Terrorists cannot kill you, then perhaps the DVT will – just a thought!

December 29, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  57. David

I do not think it is ok to scrutinize further American citizens while not even subject to normal search a person who was being flagged and reported to authorities! It is incomprehensible and inexcusable and people should be fired from their jobs! The answer is not to further inconvenience American citizens and it never has been! Do your job and stop killing the airline industry at the request of Al Queda or whenever they make a Boo!

December 29, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  58. Scott Stodden

Tony Im not a person who travels by airplane ever, I've never flown in my life anywhere but the question should be is the United States safer from terroist's and attacks than we were 8yrs ago? Here's a hint No! If we were safe then this attempted terroist attack would not have happened on Christmas Day, America has failed the American people once again and we have to do better when it comes to securing our airports and our country cuz if we don't really quick this won't be the last attempted attack or threat against our country and we could possibly see 9/11 all over again. Its time to get serious again America the enemy wants to take us down and we have to fight the enemy and keep our country secure all at the same time.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

December 29, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  59. Nelson

We seem to blame the TSA for lapses that occur in other countries.
    I travel a lot. In my opinion, the internal (within USA) security checks is not our immediate problem. We need to spend more time talking about how to equip the security systems for incoming flights. Some of us who travel international see a lot of lapses overseas.

December 29, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  60. Kyle

I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. I may sound crazy to some but I believe that the government is using the terrorism "fad" to manipulate the American people into giving them more control. Just look at this most recent event for example... A man who's father notified the authorities that he was a threat. His visa wasn't revoked and he was allowed to board a plane. And now that we have yet another foiled attack, the people are crying out for the government for safety. And the government is answering back by taking away our right to privacy.
    Eventually we aren't going to have any sort of freedom at all.

December 29, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  61. Jim

Does anyone know if the perpetrator on Christmas day was screened only in Lagos (Cleared all the way through)? Or screened in both Lagos and Amsterdam? My experience is, once scanned and cleared, this is all the way through to the destination as long as you don't leave the secure area.

December 29, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  62. Alexandra

I am flying from Arizona to California this week. How much time should I leave for security prior to boarding my flight? I am 12 years old and my family would like to know.

December 29, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  63. Carolyn Remley

We know that human beings are fallible and cannot maintain a level of vigilance equal to that of a determined zealot. Therefore, the only reasonable next step is to move to more sophisticated technology. Machines and computers don't profile, don't tire, and don't succumb to political pressure. In the long run, x-ray technology will be less costly, allow for faster screening, and increase effectiveness. Bring it on.

December 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  64. Liliana McGee

i would feel safer if a bomb sniffing dog was on the plane for international flights.

December 29, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  65. Abdul

I strongly oppose the idea of screening people by name or denying them entering into USA. Because this Nigerian criminal is the first Nigerian to come out with such act..If they are to screen people by name then there would be more terrrorism from people getting upset. If this would happen then USA will have to have a special airline that goes directly from one contry to one US airport alone..

December 29, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  66. b

How are these security scans going to work if where the explosives are hidden is in a pocket in the crotch area? I would like your cable segments of the human models walking through the body scanners to show how the body without the crotch explosives and body with the crotch explosives show-up on the scanner. Men are all different sizes, how can they tell one from the other without physically body searching the crotch area and even internal body cavities. People hide things everywhere, too. In prison they do body cavity searches for a reason. What if they swallow it in a balloon and then it comes out in the bathroom on the flight. I am sorry to be so blunt, but it seems that no one wants to talk about the elephant in the room. The scans are supposed to not show certain areas of the body. We have to look at the crotch area to find the explosives. Are padded bras going to be next? Can the scans see inside of body cavities? How far with these terrorists go and how far do the body scanners have to go to match the terrorists. I think the real hero in this situation is the passenger who pulled the burning syringe from the leg of the terrorist and prevented an explosion from destroying the plane and killing hundreds of people. I am surprised that he has not been contacted by the President to say thank you. I hope you address these issues and do not block my post. If bomb sniffing dogs can detect explosives, how about making every person pass by several bomb sniffing dogs? Can they detect them inside of body cavities, too? We have to do something now to stop this because more terrorists are coming – that is the only certainty in this entire situation.

December 29, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  67. Doris

Tony, If body scans are going to help keep people safe, then why not? I can't imagine anyone not wanting to feel a high sense of securtiy. We should do all that is necessary to assure our safety.

December 29, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  68. robert farmer

I Was just watching you and,I think its appauling that there is several teror list. Once you are on a list You give up any rights there should only be one list ,and that should be a no fly for any one suspected of terrorism. With rights come responsiblity ,We are at war the terrorist are not worried about rights. We americans and all our rights are sitting ducks and will continue to be attacked. The Biggest Question about rights is where your rights end and mine begin. My rights end when they start to affect your rights to pursue life liberty and happiness. There for if you are on any list you should not fly you dont have that right. thats the problem,everyone wants to be politically correct. Terrorist are not worried about who they hurt, so why protect there rights. I once was a criminal severed my time but i gave up my rights it was my choice to do the act,so i never complain abou my rights . now im a productive american citizen .

December 29, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  69. Jim

Don't leave these rules up to the crews. Level the playing field or chaos will prevail, from flight-to-flight. Didn't this already happen on the same Northwest flight number 2 days later? Executive aviation in corporate jets is due for a surge as businessmen flee from this nightmare that is commercial airline transportation. We know too, there's no way to prevent someone from taking out a jetliner. This is guerilla warfare.

December 29, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  70. P. Squire

Profiling works. Of course it works better if you have an understanding of who you need to be profiling.

Around 62% of the world's Muslims live in Asia, with over 683 million adherents in such countries as Indonesia (the largest Muslim country by population, home to 15.6% of the world's Muslims[7]), Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh.[2][8] About 20% of Muslims live in Arab countries.[9] In the Middle East, the non-Arab countries of Turkey and Iran are the largest Muslim-majority countries; in Africa, Egypt and Nigeria have the most populous Muslim communities.[

Jingoistic, knee jerk reactions are not a solution to terror.

December 29, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  71. Daniel S

Why are we talking about TSA security checks, when the TSA was never involved. Why aren't we asking why Dutch airport screeners missed this guy?

December 29, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  72. Alex

TSA and Homeland Security are being run by and employs a bunch of Buffoons! They have no law enforcement backgrounds and are political appointees instead of people who know security. What do the American people expect? All this increased security in the US isn't going to stop another attack from a person coming from overseas where that country isn't screening people like they should. We have enough homegrown nutcases like the White Supremist groups, prison gangs, street gangs, and radical Muslims, why aren't we screening these people more closely before they board US bound planes? Is it because Homeland Security is too worried about being Politically correct?

December 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  73. Ben A

It's clear that most arrested terrorists that have been radicalized have been to a middle eastern country for training. Richard Reid went to Pakistan, Mutallab went to Yemen, the five Americans arrested recently went to Pakistan. That should absolutely send a red flag for secondary screening which I would happily submit to if I had been to a terrorist hotspot recently. That's not racial profiling. It's common sense. There are over 40000 flights a day. If all the people on the TIDE list were secondarily screened every day, that's only 10 people a flight. How much delay would that cause? Not a lot. You don't need to put everyone on a no fly list.

December 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  74. Jessie K

I'm a flight attendant for a major airline and I'm appalled that the individual on the Delta flight from Amsterdam was allowed to travel at all. If he was on "a list" isn't that enough to stop his air travel? If you bring any such attention to yourself that should be an automatic "no fly". There should not be a varying degree of list's. My life depends on everyone doing their job, including the Government.

December 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  75. mike saunders

The problem is that you have to think ahead of the curve. Once that is done the terrorist will
    shift to body cavities. So it is now past the point what is already known.The next terrorist attack will possibly go like this. A man who passed through the new security body scan exploded a device which was hidden in his rectum or possibly swallowed within a baloon or contracepyive device. Unfortunately the new scanners were unable to pick up the hidden device. Would I submit to a full body scan? Sure and so will the terrorists.

December 29, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  76. Karen

My last flight was Dec 24, but , sigh, I will probably be flying again for work before the month is out. I typically fly 12-15 round trips a year. I don't have a problem with the whole body screeners, but there are other things the airlines could be doing as well to enhance security. We don't have enough money to put air marshalls on every flight but the airlines do have money to put two or three flight attendants on each flight to "serve" the passengers. In this day and age, having people serve drinks and peanuts to the passengers is an anachronism (it belongs back in the 50's) when what we passengers need is someone to ensure security and address medical problems. If passengers want drink and food during flight, they can buy them at the airport and bring them onboard themselves – many, including me, do this already. I don't think retraining the exiting flight attendants would be that much of a problem in terms of cost and I think most flight attendents would prefer to be overseers of security and safety than "waitresses" anyway.

Another thing that would help is to get rid of first class – that not only ties up at least one flight attendant but it takes space in the plane that could be utilized for other uses, like a secure area to hold someone who is causing a problem, or to treat someone that is ill. For the first class passengers who can't sit with the "hoi-polloi" and the flight attendants who want to be "stewardesses", let them work for charter companies. I am sure there are companies who would love the business!

December 29, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  77. Jessie K

Ask those 300 hundred people on that Detroit bound flight if they would be interested in having tighter security in place for future flights. I don't care how long it takes to line up and be screened, your safety is priceless.

December 29, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  78. Barry

If metal eating utensils are not allowed thru security, why then are they available in first class and/ or business class where they can be used as potential weapons?

December 29, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  79. Dee

Why can't we install the scanning devices on the plane at the entrance. This could be a final check done by the plane before take off.

December 29, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  80. David Powell

We should be using trained dogs to detect explosives in airports, at check-in, at security check points, in the gate, and in the baggage areas.

December 29, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  81. Greg Duparc

Hey dan i ll have to disagree with your comment on muslims i don't think they are all terrorist......(it is an other topic)

but i do agree with the fact that the security failure was made outside the US so making new airport control while leaving the US is useless.

December 29, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  82. A. Smith, Oregon

It is impossible for anyone to get thru Amsterdam's heavy security checks for a international flight to America WITHOUT a passport.

The only way that could occur would be if a US Diplomat or US Govt. Agent accompanied the bomber thru those check points. The Amsterdam Security Gate photos are not being shown.

Demand those photos of the well dressed man of Indian decent that was observed by fellow passengers talking for the bomber and pushing him past all of the heavy security checks in Amsterdam's International Gate be released.

Demand the release of the photos of that US Diplomat or US Agent.

December 29, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  83. Robyn

Sure, if you'll give me back my nail clipers, pens, and other stuff!

The only thing that these restrictions are saving us from is US HONEST LAW ABIDING CITIZENS!

Please note that the Terorists still get on board with flammable materials, and more! Come on... we don't need MORE restrictions, we need better communication of supect lists.

And profiling isn't the sole answer, because some terrorists are home grown (i.e.Oklahoma).

This is just like gun bans. When we take guns away from honest people, the only ones who'll own them are criminals. The same thing applies here!

December 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  84. leo

what i would like to know were the security personal at the airport qualified as security personal and what were they doing if he was able to pass by them maybe a back ground check on the persons working at the time in the security area should be checked out if they are qualified to be working there

December 29, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  85. Jessie K

If you think profiling isn't happening at the airport you are deluding yourself. As a flight attendant we are always profiling. Unconstitutional? Against our civil rights? Tough! You think these terrorist's care about our constitutional rights? They are focused on getting things through security to blow up ours planes. People who are against added security need to get their heads out of their butts. Playing nice because you think it's the civil thing to do is never going to work when you are dealing with religious radicals. We need to do what is necessary regardless of the cost to provide the best security for the traveling public. If that means body x-rays, pat downs, and bomb sniffing dogs so be it. Ask those passengers on board the NW flight if they would be in favor of added security and see what they say.

December 29, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  86. DM Bulzomi

Profiles yes? no? Why not? So airport security spends a little more time with a oerson that fits a terroist profile to make sure all on the plane have a safe trip and arrive alive. They should look at everyone, but some should get more attention, and those that fit that profile should be happy for the extra attention because they to will be safe on the plane

December 29, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  87. Michael Drake

In all I have traveled to 43 different countries. Since 9-11 I have traveled abroad a dozen or so times. I never have any problems entering another country. My problems seem to arise on a return flight to the states. As a 6'4 tall blonde American borne citizen; I get pulled out of line every time. Questioned and at times searched. I want to think the employees of the T.S.A. are picking me as to not look like they are profiling. I can be standing in line next to people who we are told by our government that may have characteristics of a so called terrorist and never questioned. Or maybe I have been targeted by Homeland Security for supporting Rep. Ron Paul and other like minded Freedom Loving Americans. They say the terrorist hate us because our Freedoms. Well if we continue to destroy the Constitution and Bill of Rights; then in reality "They Won"

December 29, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  88. Jeffrey Moll

Are you kidding. Full Body Scans ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT Prevent the problem. Unless you are going to strip search INCLUDING a cavity search, there is no way to prevent someone from sneaking an explosive device on a plane.
    The bottom line is that if someone wants to do this they will. The BEST prevention is intelligence. As evidenced by this case failure to critically evaluate data is a problem.

December 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  89. Willard

I'm wondering if this is a way for airlines to cut down on weight by saying we have to stop letting people bring carry on bag onto the plane. Without the extra weight the airlines will use less fuel

December 29, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  90. Rita

since it takes so little PETN to do harm i expect to see TSA ripping bandages off wounds and cutting through plaster casts.

December 30, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  91. Robyn Knights

I am off to Sydney in a few weeks, hope the security has improved. What if terrorist hide that powder in women's sanitary pads, how could that be detected – only answer is DOGS , sniff each pax. as they enter the planes doors. Last resort tactic.

December 30, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  92. Martial

Tony, I think scaners are great but No one has addressed any possible health risks, are these scanners the same same technology as CT scans, if so that's a lot of radiation to be exposed to every time one travels. I think this might be a tpoic for Dr. Gupta to address. Thank You. Martial

December 30, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  93. Tracy

By any means necessary. We must do what is needed to keep air travelers safe. If a person don't want to be scanned, they have the option to take other means of transportation.

December 30, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  94. Cyndi

I fail to understand why people make such a big about a few extra minutes added to a security search. TSA does not do this to make you late (and if you are late for your flight, its because of you not TSA), they dont do it to hassle you; they are there to help. Period. So people, deal with the security delays, get to the airport in plenty of time and this wont be an issue.

December 30, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  95. Seth

Obviously, we continue to lag behind the terrorists just because our security agencies just won't share data no matter how 'stupid' or 'inadequate' it seems. I travel a lot for work all over the USA and Canada. I'm currently on vacation and dread resuming work! As far as I'm concerned all these so-called extra security measures won't make us any more secure. It surprises me how our governments knee-jerk react to such issues. I believe if our security agents share all data, we'll need little security at our airports. With these new measures comes greater determination on the part of terrorists to renew their plans. It's possible if we were not to react this way, they'll feel de-fanged and not think of new ways of striking us...

Seth,
    McLeansville, NC

December 30, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  96. james

Why does the Repbulcian party find the time to politicize this fiasco when we should be trying to fix the problem. It is absolutely amazing to me that the Republican leadership is asking for Napolitano's job.... when the two towers fell in NYC and it was later learned that the CIA had information on several of the terrorist, did the Republicans ask for anyone's job? Why the double-standard? Could this have been CIA employees purposefully refusing to diseminate information because they wanted something to occur on "Obama's" watch?
    I recall in the not so distant past of several Republican including Limbaught stating that they wanted an attack to occur as well as this administration to fail. That to me is TREASON.

December 30, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  97. Robyn Knights

Imagine a German sShepherd waiting at the end of the ramp, that is trained to sniff the body – wouldn't that put off these idiots who have no lives trying to ruin our lives. Its funny they hate the West but love the Wests technology ? Sad people!

December 30, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  98. Rodney

What good can installing full body scans in U.S. airports do when the threat is from terrorists boarding direct flights to the U.S. from foreign countries? Seems the scanners need to be used in all the countries where there are direct flights to the U.S. The Dutch are a good example.

December 30, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  99. Dan Nickell

On an earlier show, the demonstration showed that, for personal privacy purposes, the subject could be provided a block of metal about 3" x 6" x 1/4" to be placed in their underwear to cover the genitals. What security purpose does this serve? This is exactly where the last guy sewed in the explosives! Women have frequently been self-destructive terrorists. Will the scanner be able to distinguish between a package of explosive and a feminine hygiene product? How will the TSA agent determine the truth in this instance? Talk about privacy issues...this is about as intrusive as it gets...but explain failure to ask pointed questions and do necessary exams to the relatives of the victims of such an explosion.

December 30, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  100. Stan

My wife and I recently flew from Thunder Bay ON to Albuquerque NM for a 2 week vacation. The flight down was pretty trouble free, but the return flight turned into an 18 hour ordeal. Between customs, security baggage transfers and up to a 6 hour connector wait, we vowed to never fly in the U.S. again. I fly frequently inside Canada and don't have any problems with time.

I went down to KS (on the bus) and bought a conversion van. I'll never subject my family to the aggravation of air travel again. I guess you could say those savage terrorists have one this round. 9/11 has changed us forever.

December 30, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  101. R

I always go to the airport 3hours early, and always gets selected for Random screenings. and guess what, I'm brown in skin color but not muslim but asian in origin :). This has reduced my travel via air because of the hassle that I have to go through. I also don't take a carry on luggage because of this. and yes, just to avoid the commotion I pay about $30 and luggage my tiny bag :). what can I say It is what it is.

December 30, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  102. Ronald H.

I know this may be a stab in the dark, but a thought that comes to my mind would be to have people who intend to fly to drop their bags off at least 24 hours ahead of the flight they intend to board and have them pick them up only after the 15 seconds spent in the body scanner. By doing so this would cut down on the time spent waiting in line. Yea this may be a bit expensive, but the price of safety rises after every potential attack.

December 30, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  103. Roger from Madison

Hey Tony, here's a solution to profiling, airport security and the debate over body scanning.

From now on, everyone flies naked! Now there's no where to hide bombs, no need to profile anyone and everyone will stay seated for the entire flight. I mean really, who's going to want to walk around the airplane naked??

Roger

December 30, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  104. John Lehmann

Tony,

You are asking the wrong questions about airport security. It’s not about the long lines at security checkpoints, it’s about the competency of the TSA employees running those lines. Many act and behave as though they have had very little training. Some appear so young that this may be their first job out of high school. I have seen people walk through security with visible bottles of water in their backpack—among other things. If your bag happens to be one selected for additional screening the agent simply opens it, moves a couple of shirts around and sends you on your way.

If this is such a serious issue why is the US government contracting these jobs to an outside company.
    It simply makes no sense.

John

December 30, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  105. ellen Blanchette

What ever happened to the idea of having people pre-screened with priority passes if they went through a background check before they purchased their tickets. I remember when this was being discussed some years ago it was because this is what El Al Airlines does to keep their flights secure. I've never flown on El Al and so only remember this from what I heard on news reports but it seems to me a good idea. I think the industry objected because they didn't want to put restrictions on their customers but I think it is smart. More people would fly if they felt safer and I'll bet a lot of people just don't fly anymore, and it's not just about money. We all know the security efforts are just cosmetic, designed to make us "feel safe" as opposed to actually BEING SAFE. I think we need to reconsider what we do before people even walk into the airport. We need to know a whole lot more about who is getting on the plane and definitely, easy one to follow is to give a second look to anyone who gets on without luggage and paying CASH! How long will it take for them to learn that one?

December 30, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  106. Dan Nickell

What we need are wireless technologies that could be employed that would trigger or detonate explosives as a person carrying them passes through a blast-hardened booth. No scans, no embarrassing questions, no invasion of privacy, no air terrorism... Just a messy cleanup job for housekeeping afterward.

December 30, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  107. Jan

In response to Vicky's simplistic "terrorists are terrorists" comment–If everyone with violent thoughts were seven feet tall and came in varying shades of purple to indicate how close to actually breaking into violence they are, then making no-fly lists could be an exact science and the world would be a safer place. Too bad it isn't that simple. Yes, a huge mistake was made with Abbulmutallab, and I hope it's the last. But I don't think it will be. Acting as if any idiot should be able to figure it all out won't solve the problem.

December 30, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  108. MK

Hi Tony, the full body scan may not be able to reveal whatever is hidden in between legs. The Nigerian boy was trying to hide the powder in the middle section of his underwear, which the machine wouldn't have been able to reveal anyway. So, I don't know if the machine is as good as it is claimed to be!

December 30, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  109. Sharon

I'm with previous bloggers that the public should not have to suffer knee-jerk reactions because the agencies charged with our protection did not activate protective measures already in place in the face of multiple red flags on this terriorist. We have already compromised so much privacy and rationality in the name of security . . . and then this breach occurs. To increase the impact on the common traveller is ludicrous and is simply a public relations exercise. Now we're looking at body scanners. Talk about an invasion of privacy. This is over the top and we must object. When we utilize full body scanners as a standard, terrorists will simply find ways around them. We must actually utilize the protective measures in place, not erode the privacy of our own citizens. We must also remember that a simple box cutter will no longer bring down an aircraft. As evidenced in this recent terrorist attack, our own citizens are part of our defense. We will no longer stand by and allow terrorists to commandeer or endanger aircraft. We will overpower and contain them, even at risk of serious personal harm because we know these actions have fatal outcomes. Fix our existing security processes and heighten our personal awareness.

December 30, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  110. Stan

It's me again. Just a little postscript to my other comment. After 9/11, I flew from Pearson in Toronto and 2 security guards of obvious middle east descent siezed a money clip that was a long service award presented to my deceased father. It had a built in nail file and a blade about 1.25 " long. It was a fond memento of my wonerful dad. I never considered the money clip as a weapon, but post 9/11 measures deemed it to be one. I was never racist or prejudiced against any group, but I look at certain groups in a different light now. The terrorists sure didn't do the muslims any favors by their actions.

December 30, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  111. susan durrell

I just traveled from Seattle to Sacramento and didn’t experience any delays going through security. The TSA workers were moving the crowd along very well. We should be thankful to all the people who work each and every day to keep us safe. We should always be on our toes and reviewing our security procedures, but let’s remember there is no security system, government, or public official that can keep us completely safe. Life doesn’t work like that.

December 30, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  112. james raines pembroke pines, fl

Where is the video tape of the "bomber" in Amsterdam's airport?
    Was there an Indian man that was arrested after a bomb-sniffing dog detected something in his luggage?

December 30, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  113. Jean

The reunion between mother and daughter, the latter who was given up for adoption. What a beautiful story and reunion! I love to hear such stories and see real happy endings. Some of us have been fortunate that we had our parents, caring ones throughout our lives; lived with them and nurtured and schooled appropriately and that they could afford to feed, clothe and house them. Others are not so fortunate. I can imagine what the mother was going through since she gave up her daughter for adoption for whatever reason. No doubt, both mother and daughter who were separated wishes were to unite someday. Thanks be to God who knows, sees and hears all things and who is saddened at all negative matters which are occurring in the world and who sees what His children are going through, they are now united. This pleases God immensely.
    He bears our happiness and sadness as we bear them. There is nothing more which pleases our God to see His children living in peace and harmony which is something all members of humanity should practice towards one another.
    We are the world and we are the people of the world. Wherever we reside, both near and far we could take an interest in others and what is occurring in our world which is why Bloggers write CNN on current matters, good or bad.
    As contained in Holy Scriptures: "Mourn/weep with those who mourn,weep. Rejoice with those who rejoice.
    Having stated that I wish mother and daughter all the best for the future and a Happy and Healthy New Year to them.

December 30, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  114. Ala Alsenussi

Since 9/11 the USA spent billions of dollars on security. What we need to do is to spend money on disrupting Al-Qaeda's recruiting policy. They are brain washing young moslems and recruiting them to carry on terror acts against the west and non-moslems. A recent example is the Christmas Day attack attempt on NW jetliner. I am a moslem from a family that taught moderation and tolerance in Islam hundreds of years ago. I would like the US to sponsor a similar program to counter the recruiting strategy which is adapted by Al-Qaeda. The goal is to get to these young moslems before Al-Qaeda does and teach them moderation and tolerance. Look at this as immunization against this illness called extremism.

December 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  115. Frank

Tony,

I know it sounds crazy, but maybe the answer is no carry-on baggage at all (except in extreme circumstances) and the use of TSA issued disposable garments. Instead of expensive sniffers and body scanners this possible solution might be the one thing that can be instituted at every airport.

Immediately following ticketing, passengers are screened (behavioral screening, pat downs, ID checks...) and change into the TSA garments (ALL clothes worn to the airport are hermetically sealed and checked as baggage).

My larger point is, we (Americans) will have to fundamentally reexamine how we think about air travel and public safety. In the interest of public safety, some indignities will have to be suffered. If some travelers feel that their rights are being infringed upon, they are welcome to walk, bike or drive.

December 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  116. Jean

There are those who may look suspicious but there are others who may not look suspicious. On the other hand those who look suspicious really have something to hide and they should be scrutinized. Some of us are too busy to notice suspicious people are airports of all. This is why there should be people who are specifically trained to look out for those people.
    It is shocking that this Nigeria young man was allowed and able to board the Delta plane without luggage and a valid passport. He did not even have a passport. The other passengers and airplane crew are extremely fortunate that the bomb failed. I do feel that the hand of God on Christmas Day, the Birth of His Blessed Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, when Christians (and others) were celebrating His birth was in this one as always and prevented a major disaster. God was with them and had mercy. God is so good!
    Numerous Holy Masses were said throughout the world on Christmas Day as on Sundays and also other days of the week. It is said that every minute (if not second) of the day Holy Masses are celebrated throughout the world, given the time frame of every country of the world. All offered to Our Almighty Father and thanking Him for sending His Son to earth, to suffer and die for our sins.
    After 9-11, all the world-wide security which was put into place failed. Those responsible who were aware that the young man's father voiced his concerns and wrote the authorities and the airport officials who allowed him to travel should be held accountable. How could this 23 year-old hide from under their airport scrutiny and passed through to board an airplane beats me. These airport officials, the latter in Amsterdam which was the last stop prior to the US should have been alert. It is sheer negligence.
    We must seriously ponder what could have happened if such a disaster had taken place; loss of 300 lives and their belongings, an airplane, world-wide shock, tears, grieving and mourning. The numerous court cases and the financial recompense which the government would have to pay out to the victims' survivors would be exorbitant. We cannot allow this negligence to recur. If it does, mark my words, you and I know that it will not be a happy ending. People have a right to be safe in the air and free of terrorists actions while flying and in their countries.

December 30, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  117. Jean

Tony:

A Happy and Healthy New Year 2010 to you and all at CNN Newsroom. I view the New Year as a challenge. At the beginning of every New Year I always wonder what it may bring for the entire world.

December 30, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  118. Vicki Springstead

As an airline employee of 30 years (now retired) I might mention that we are stil in a holiday travel cycle. Most travelers at this time need help parking, using the Kiosks and may not know that only 3 ounces of liquid are allowed. All this = slowdowns. Many passengers are packing all of Santa's sleigh in the overhead racks-checking lugg
    age will help speed things up and also knowing if your carry on will fit on board before you get to security.
    Smile at the airline employees and TSA-they are on your side!
    Vicki

December 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  119. Jean

My uncle, his wife and a few cousins and also friends resided in NYC. I have visited NYC a few times. My uncle and his wife have since passed away.
    Some years ago I visited NYC for New Years. The hosts brought us to Times Square on Old Year's Night to ring in the New Year. It was a good experience. However after the New Year celebration what with everyone, strangers, wanting to kiss and kiss as we left Times Square, that was something else.
    I will not visit there at such a time again and not since 9-11 and in view of increased crimes.
    I will also not go to Toronto City Hall. Where there is a congregation of people at such a time, who knows what could happen.
    The preference is a family or friend dinner party where we will be safe or having a New Year's party at home.
    Jean
    Toronto, Canada

December 30, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  120. Anna

I just don't get it. What good is it going to do to add all the increased security at U.S. airports when that is not where the terrorists or at least the majority of them are coming from?? This will sound terrible but why can't we just start shuting our doors to the Terrorist countries and those that are closely affiliated with them. Has it been determined yet if this guy even had a U.S. passport, heard he didn't but they let him through anyway.

December 30, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  121. Steve

As long as security is focused on finding potentially dangerous objects rather than identifying potentially dangerous individuals, it will always be a charade which does more to inconvenience the law abiding public than to protect it. Our entire security model is based on reactivity to the latest terrorist tactics, which will always leave us one step behind the bad guys. Even with full body scanners in every airport, terrorists will find a way to get around the technology.

Coordinated intelligence and scrupulous profiling will do more than all the body searches in the world to deal with the problem. Just look to Israel and El Al for a model of what screening should be.

December 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  122. J Smalls

Tony as an airline employee it bewilders me to see how silly people are being as a result of the beefed up security measures. Sure it will take a tad bit longer to reach your flight but at the end of the day reaching your destination safely and without incident should be the main objective. Pointing the finger at the security personnel and the manner by which they are providing your safety is not the problem. If there are some who just have to bicker why not try to email those responsible for neglecting to inform them about the almost tragic event that we were fortunate enough to escape.

December 30, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  123. Jackie

the full body scan would not have worked on the Christmas day bomber because the bomb materials were where an incontinence pad would be wore. We need boom snuffing dogs at the airports to stop the bombs from getting through the screening process.

December 30, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  124. Ana

I am all for all kinds of electronic systems to be used to secure all travelers. I am against racial profiling. Believe me, every time my husband travels the security looks at him odd because he looks like an Arab when he has his beard. Remember, Spain was ...invaded by the Moors for over 700 years; therefore, many Spanish descendants do have some physical Moorish characteristics, geez so many great races but one only counts: the HUMAN race. How are we even thinking of profiling?

December 30, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  125. Angie

The Administration who are responsible for this are the ones who did not take the proper precautions before they released 2 of the Saudi masterminds behind the Christmas attack Back in 2007.
    The same Republican Administration who claimed back in 2007 that none of the detanees they were releasing at that time were terrorists.
    You know who they are.
    speak their names and the party they represented.
    Bush and Cheney, the Republican party masterminds in poor decisions and Bad policies that still reek havoc on the American people.
    Obama 2012 – second term

December 30, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  126. Sandra

What about security regulations concerning baby formulas and diaper rash creams when traveling on an airplane with your baby?

December 30, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  127. MJellison90

Something to think about. So what happens when the computers get hacked and every image of everybody's naked bodies are posted all over the internet? No computer is compleatly 100% safe from being hacked.

December 30, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  128. Nancy B.

Your piece on security was interesting, as was the views of scanned objects a man hid in his clothing. But scanning women would be far more problematic—what about things like sanitary pads, tampons, breast implants, padded bras, etc. How do those appear on a scanner and how would those items appear in scans? And how will security people handle those? After the shoe bomber, we had to take off our shoes. Does that mean that after the "underwear bomber" we all have to take off our underwear?

December 30, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  129. pam mccrum

just heard that Canada is not allowing carry on luggage . good idea. Passengers should receive a clear plastic tote bag to put purse, laptop, i-pod, medicine, book, etc. in to take onto plane, everything else should be checked luggage in my opinion. And you should not have to pay extra to check it. I have seen flights delayed in leaving the gate because the stewards were trying to find space for all the carry on luggage.

December 31, 2009 at 12:53 am |
  130. Grant

There are things that security fail to look into
    'that young man has no passport , and had no boarding pass
    and was allowed to board the plane
    Tony, from the ticket counter to where he got on the plane
    someone would be payed off to get him on that plane.
    Security should be able to scan woman because a female
    bomber could get on a plane and let security thinks is that
    time of the month.

December 31, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  131. Melissa

We expect our military to defend our freedom and safety... yet we repay them by whining about our liberties!

December 31, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  132. April

I don't understand why people are so upset about increased security precautions. I would rather go through a few extra steps than be on a plane with someone who is planning on blowing it up. People are acting naive about the world. The world is not safe and there are many people who do not like the United States.

December 31, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  133. Debra Zarnow

I flew out of O'Hare on Tuesday, just 2 days after the bomb attempt. I arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs early expecting long delays. There were only 3 people ahead of me in line. I was very surprised! I fly weekly and did not notice anything different with TSA – no pat downs, no bag checks. Coming back from Fort Wayne, IN on Weds again no lines. But they did swab my bag for bomb residue. They didn't even check my boarding pass and ID until AFTER I went through the metal detector.

December 31, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  134. Julie O'Donoghue

I returned from the UK on Tuesday and experienced very little delay. All passengers were patted down at the gate and all carry-on bags were searched. Passengers seemed to understand the need for these extra measures and were in good spirit.

Unfortunately the EU have got it all wrong when they put privacy before security, I don't understand what they're thinking. They're being pressured by 'Human Rights' and 'Religious' and groups. Make everyone go through full body screening and if you don't like it there's a very simple answer – don't fly!!!!

December 31, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  135. Rohan

Whts important fear of flying or feeling safe before boarding the flight. Airport security around the world are doing their job for our safety, if they take hours to make sure i can see my family and friends let them do it.

December 31, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  136. Phil

I fly 2-3 times per month and flew yesterday (12-29) from Detroit to Los Angeles on Northwest Airlines. There were no changes in Detroit as to how the security screening was conducted. There was literally no wait at 9:15 AM. Our carry-on bags were x-rayed per normal, no additional inspection took place. There were no pat-downs or any extra measures taken – it was very smooth. On the flight, there were no changes – we were able to use the bathrooms, access our carry-ons, throught the duration of the flight. Let's make sure the actions of a few extremists don't deter us from carrying on with our lives and exercising our freedoms.

December 31, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  137. Olu

Flew in from the UK, there was a long delay at the port of entry(Washington Dulles), but I felt like i was singled out, all my luggage was opened and checked stupid question asked ? like you have a lot of cell phone, just 2 cell phones. Had a book "80minute for an MBA" I had to laugh but if it make us all safe i will go thru the pain and delay – Please make our world a better and safe place Happy New Year

December 31, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  138. Rick

I'm not exactly a frequent flyer but I don"t now why they can't line the women up in one line and the men in the other and do a full body scan with a same sex attendant on the scanner. If people don't like it then don't fly.

December 31, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  139. SECURITY vs TERROR

The problem with soiety today is that we tend to look at the small thing in life , quicker faster security screening = possible terror attack
    more time spend screening individuals = getting home
    what does it take for us to see the bigger picture , the new machines are considered invasion of privacy , ok u prefer your privacy then stay home.
    let me spend an extra 10 mins getting screened. you are saying to yourself i am not carrying anything , how are security officials to know that. then no one will tell u they have illegal items , YE WHO THINKS, THINKS NOT ONLY OF THEMSELVES BUT OF OTHERS

Clarence Thomas
    Antigua&Barbuda.
    Caribbean

December 31, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  140. Ed Holdenmeyer

I have an artificial hip. When I go through the metal detector all the bells ring.
    I have a letter from my surgeon but yhat does not matter.
    Any trip to the USA has been absolutely embarrising .
    I and a lot of people I know do not look to the USA for a holiday.
    If we can we go over or around the security in place for US destinations.
    It is just not worth the nonsense

December 31, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  141. Maxim

I hear all of you reporting how bad this issue of terrorism is, but don't you think for a second that the government is involved in this too? The government makes huge amounts of money thanks to terrorism, at the expence of ordinary US citizens. All these new jobs errupted- terroristic analysts, experts, etc. I don't know Tony, I think that this terroristic action was all set up, because if he blew up the plane, the government would have won, and if he didn't, and thank God that he didn't, the government won too. This story is far too strange to seem like the gov't is all that good. People at the US embassy's aren't stupid! How could they fail to see this Nigerian as a threat, when they bar ordinary normal people from the US daily? I'm just saying, that the US gov't is probably gaining from terrorism too, which is really sad.

December 31, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  142. Nell Miles

Hi Tony–Love you
    I flew from New york to Atlanta on Monday and because of recent metal knee replacement , which of course set off the alarm, I was searched from "stem to stern".By the way, I am almost 80 years old and was in a wheelchair. i was asked if I wanted it done in private and I said no so I had a huge audience watching a wand searching my crotch!!!!I LOL

December 31, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  143. Bob Smith

The security procedures are only part of the problem. The bigger issue is the way the airlines treat their customers. I will fly again when the airlines stop treating their customers like crap. I do not expect that to happen in my lifetime.

Bob Smith
    Simi Valley, CA

December 31, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  144. Cris S

TSA's mission is important for our security and I do feel their work is critical to protect America and Americans from terrorists attacks, but in reality TSA is just a corrupted, incompetent and shameful organization.

As one example out of hundreds that I've experienced: I've flown from Miami to Seattle recently and once back home I opened my luggage to find the TSA brochure saying that my luggage was inspected and few presents I've bought in Miami missing.

I contacted TSA and reported my situation. I was expecting a refund for my stolen items (we are talking about less than 100 bucks). Weeks after reporting the ordeal, I received a letter from TSA saying that I wasn't going to get a refund for my stolen items. TSA did not even apologize.

December 31, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  145. Darren

Funny thing is, most Congressmen charter private jets for their flights and won't be subject to the strip-search in airports, in essence creating another division in class amongst The People.

December 31, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  146. Loren

i love being naked and honestly have no problem with others seeing me BUT i dont want to see most other people nude.... ek

December 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  147. Sara

My mom left the country to Amsterdam with KLM from LAX, they didn't even put her baggage under those scanner machines! what kind of security check is that?! So when are we going to learn our lesson?!

December 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  148. )ctavio

Tony, please, its about money not human rights, we have the right to travel without having to worry. the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid), jump suits for everyone, dogs, its very simple no personal items and it will be very safe to travel, but politicians and large companies will not make money!

December 31, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  149. Gregorio

Airport security? I think this is outrageous! TSA officers are already rude and now it'll be worst!! It makes me sick how "security" is enforced at airports, have you seen Amtrak stations? These are not secured at all in comparison with airports! What about Penn Station in NYC? There's a potential threat there where thousands of people transit every day! How come I don't see new "scanners" installed there?

Come on!! US government only cares about air planes because these can strike facilities such as the Pentagon or White house!! Also, politicians use this for propaganda reasons to convince the american people to believe in something they profit of... WAR!

December 31, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  150. Maritza

What we need to do is drop all this stupid political correctness. TSA wastes too much time checking the wrong people. The most obvious thing would be to concentrate efforts on the people that fit the terrorist profile and be done with it. Lets face it kids and blue haired ladies are not blowing up planes so why waste time, effort & money searching them?

December 31, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  151. Randy

I can't give too much credence to CNN or any of the major mainstream media until they acknowledge that the, "Global War On Terrorism" is a sham. We are in a, "Global War For Carbon Resources and Military Hegemony." The media should make a New Year's resolution to take off the blinders.

December 31, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  152. Wilson

Why not require every person, pay a fee and be registered to fly. The fee should cover an investigation of you to see if you are safe to boars an airplane. Once approved your hand print is entered into a computer system and scanned when you buy a ticket and when you board an airplane! The aproval, for a fee, must be updated every 3 years.

Wilson

December 31, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  153. Ralph Driear

Tony: I've advocated this approach for several yrs. now for the airport secutiry and now seems even more appropriate for the new airline's security restrictions: arrive at the airport naked under a nice bathrobe with a small carry-on of clothes to change into when U get to Ur destination,, no checked baggage,, skip those fees,, get to destination,, change into the carry-on clothes, then go buy whatever clothes U need for whatever Ur destination's weather is,,, before leaving,, donate the new clothes to a Thrift store,, and reverse the process....

December 31, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  154. kurly

dear tony : flying naked is a viable option , as well as airport scans . Naturists have been flying naked air to the islands for several years . naturists are more comfortable with their bodies ,what ever shape . its time to get over body phobias . we are at war ,thats why its called the war on terror ... ps naked people hace no where to hide weapons or bombs ..reality thanks kurly

December 31, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  155. Dave

Future airliners should be designed to carry passengers, only, with a "chase" plane dedicated to ONLY carry checked baggages and carry-on items.

If the 'baggage' plane goes down (which shadows the passenger flight by a few miles), then better than losing the flight full of passengers.

December 31, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  156. Dennis

Why are airlines and airline travelers more important than trains or buses or highways, or children walking down the street in a ghetto? Because airline travelers are wealthier? Trying to prevent a bomb going off in an airplane every now and then is just not worth all of the extra consternation and expense that the U.S. is experiencing. AlQuaida is just laughing at us. When I ignore my grandchild's bad behavior, it goes away quicker.

December 31, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  157. Daniel Erim

I just returned to Boston from Canada through Chicago. In Canada, security was brutal, keeping some of us for over 4 hours. Sadly enough, my checked-in luggage is still being by the airline company (United Airlines) 72 hours after arrival. I wonder if it's related to my being Nigerian.

December 31, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  158. Jerry Frederick

Hi Tony,
    There are several things that bother me about the reluctance that Americans are showing to make flying safer. The people that CNN record that express how it would be violating their rights to privacay if they were completely body screened or completely hand searched are the people that would be 1st in to line make leagal suits against the airline, TSA the government and anybody else they could find to sue if something happened on the aircraft they were on. I have had the idea about flying naked for more than 8 years. It is not a new idea.
    Thanks for the good work.

December 31, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  159. Tasha

I have to say that i preferred being scanned than being searched up and down by the security. If screening helps to prevent attacks, i don't get it why people feel unease about something that could save you and your loved ones.

Don't get annoyed or pissed at the government for trying to keep you safe. You can't trust everybody.. do you trust strangers when you're abroad on plane? so why does the government have to?! They reserve the right to be suspicious with EVERYBODY.

December 31, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  160. Mrs. Klaas

Where are all the 'Bomb-sniffing' Dogs at the airports?

December 31, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  161. Mawuli Dake

Toni, Many guests and so-called experts on the various networks including yours have consistently stated that, the fact the suspected terrorist bought his ticket with cash should have been a source of concern. This is completely ignorant. I am from Ghana and in our part of the world, EVERYONE buys tickets with CASH. In fact it is not possible to use a credit card to purchase a ticket in Ghana, Nigeria and most of African countries. So by their logic, every single passenger from our part of the world should be suspected. Someone please correct this erroneous assertion.

December 31, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  162. Connie

On Tuesday, December 29th I flew to Phoenix from Hawaii that required a plane from Maui to Honolulu. I did notice much more security and police in the airports in Maui, more than Honolulu. In Phoenix I arrived at 1am and did not see anyone but who got off the plane with me. My bags in Honolulu were ran thru portable xray belts three times in three different locations one right at the gate before walking down to the plane entrance.

I Maui the fire alarm lights and sirens went off for at least 10 minutes with police and security running around but no one in the airport could tell me what was going on and if I were supposed to exit the airport or even if it was a true emergency. There was no anouncement. When I stopped an officer I was told rudely to mind my own business and keep walking to my gate. I thought that was odd as well as what was going on. So I ignored it like everyone else.

I think there needs to be better communication of airport personnel and police to better inform customers in the airport what's going on in the event of an emergency or alarms that go off in the airport. It seemed to me that there was no plans. It sure did not make me feel safe.

December 31, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  163. Betsy

Eventually we will all have to get naked and put on a flight suit, any prescriptions will be stored by flight crew and no objects will be allowed. Just like science fiction.

January 1, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  164. patricia

I was shocked to see that
    Butane pocket lighters were allowed through security in Sacramento, CA. I saw it in the tub of thepassenger ahead of me and it was still there after going through the scanner!

January 1, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  165. Michael Mallon

I flew home the day after Christmas from Montreal.I had a 7;45 am flight. We were actually on the plane when we were ordered off the plane with our luggage. Our bags were physically searched and we were patted down and then allowed on the plane. To make a long story short, we were delayed 2 hrs and I missed all my connecting flights. Michael Mallon

January 1, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  166. John Lehmann

Tony,

It simply makes no sense.

John Lehmann

January 1, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  167. Cornelius

when a person makes a reservation, that persons name should be submitted for clearence. when that person arrives at the airport he/she should have already been cleared to board plane and should have proof that they have been cleared.

January 1, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  168. Brittany

I flew from stl to Fairbanks and didn't notice any significant change except possibly more vigilance at the carry on scanners :)

January 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  169. bearroller9640

Tony,

I don't see a problem with these scanners but, will children be put through these scanners and if so then will the people be watching the children be accused of something more than just protecting us. If they don't allow children through these scanners then the terrorist will know ths and start to use children as pawns for their bombs. There is many loop holes I can see in these scanners that could be makor problems!

January 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
  170. donald

we are no longer the land of the free an the home of the brave.

the knee jerk reaction of the govt;s of he world are like closing the gate after the horses are already out. the terrorists want people scarred, want to cause delays and inconvieniance.

upgraded security measures, more like defcon fear.

thr military even screens soldiers comming out of combat zones from secured airfields, yes i had to throw awqy my body wash.

January 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  171. Byron

Just went through security at Dayton International. Lots of TSA agents and a rather easy and pleasant transition through security.

January 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  172. Patricia

I was shocked to see that security allowed a pocket butane lighter through security for the passenger in front of me! What's up with that?

January 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
  173. WTT

We, family of 5, took a flight out from Orlando on Dec 28th. Due to security check and long queue, we ended out missing our flight (domestic travel) despite arriving the airport nearly 2 hrs before the departure time. We were able to get in front of the queue half way thru the long wait for reason we had young children. Even that did not help.

Our second leg of flight, from Minneapolis to Anchorage was considered international flight as announced by the pilot. The no going to lavatory, no blanket or pillow on lap, and no reaching of personal bag were enforced an hr before arrival.

Honestly, how such requirement able to prevent someone from causing harm to the plane truly defies common logic.

WTT

January 1, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  174. TSA Narc

After being injured while working at TSA Denver International Airport that agency has attempted to force me to return to a security screener position knowing I've been (and will continue) taking two mind-altering narcotics, Vicodin and Tramadol, on a hourly basis. TSA written testimony to the USDOL states that other TSO's are taking these drugs while working and there is no concern. This is contrary to the TSA Directive1100.73-5, which states an agent must be free from effects of such drugs. This was the original reason I was officially released from that agency a year earlier. The USDOL says I must prove that I suffer from the effects of narcotics and has refused benefits because I can't accept the position. I'd like to know how many other TSO's are taking Class II and Class IV narcotics at work.

January 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  175. tina

Three years ago Christmas day while seated on an airplane five young middle-eastern men separately boarded the plane and one sat next to me. They acted like strangers but after the flight, in the airport, they were together. The 9-11 terrorists did dry runs so I called TSA and spoke with an African American woman. Now, when I fly, I’m checked and screened with swabs. I’m 50, white, female and American. Is it posible that African American TSA employees are retaliating against white racial profiling callers, placing them on a list, and diverting attention from possible terrorists?

January 3, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  176. Dodie

Question # 1 Why is the US experiencing more terrorists attempts than any other country in the world?

How would you feel if you had Afghanistan and Iraq military in your city, blowing up the place and killing innocent people? I am pretty sure you would be outraged!

By spending more millions of dollars on screening devices, and whatever along with removing our freedoms, why not go to the source of this whole problem….. I would recommend we pull out of the Middle East entirely! Al Qaeda is no longer in Afghanistan; however, large oil reserves are!!! The entire world knows this except for the American people! I would advise people to google 'Project for the New American Century'

January 4, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  177. Rick

There is no such thing as safe travel and it will not change as long as there are people in this world who are hell bent on destroying our freedoms and way of life. The scanners being put in place are just another attempt by our government to show us that they are in control of the situation when they clearly are not. The system is flawed and I'll explain.
    Women wear pads to trap menstrual flow. Older folks wear underware designed to trap urine. Ok, you've got liquids being brought on board of which I seriously doubt will be checked. Imagine a TSA agent following a woman into the restroom to check her pad.
    Now, one person may not be able to carry enough explosives on board, but you get a dozen or so, and you have the makings for a bomb large enough to do some real damage.
    Face it folks, there is nothing we can do as long as there are these kinds of people around. They will always find a way. The scanners are just another waste of taxpayer money. I don't know what the solution is.

January 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  178. Roula

This amazes me how racist some people are in this world. Some of you commented here on how we should focus more on muslims or people from countries outside canada and the u.s when the matter of fact is anyone from anywhere can be a terrorist and stating that we should focus on one group of people more than others because of their race isnt right. Im a candian citizen born in canada yet my father is a candian citizen born in saudia arabia born and evey time we fly they always give him a harder time because of where hes from or the arab woman who where hijabs or indians who were turbins .. i just dont understan how you can except yourselves fo being that way!

January 6, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  179. Darrell

Why is this an issue on CNN. Who cares if the TSA scans you body? We need to protect those of us who fly frequently. If you don't want you body scanned, then walk. It might just get rid of that excess fat you want to hide from the scanners

January 11, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  180. Dean Mackey

Tony
    These people are so afraid of there privacy being invaded. what would they think if they are going to die if they find someone with a bomb on there flight . they are so afraid of they being seen a little they should just stay home and not fly !

January 11, 2010 at 11:45 am |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 20,320 other followers