Today on CNN Newsroom

January 5th, 2010

Are You Happy or Unhappy at Work?

From Executive Producer Cari Hernandez

According to a new survey, only 45% of Americans are satisfied with their work. That’s the lowest level ever recorded by the Conference Board Consumer Research group, in the more than 22 years it has studied the issue.

Researchers say the number of unhappy workers has increased for a variety of reasons:

- Fewer workers consider their jobs to be interesting.

- Incomes have not kept up with inflation.

- The soaring cost of health insurance has eaten into workers' take-home pay.

Economists say that if the job satisfaction trend is not reversed, it could stifle innovation and hurt America's competitiveness and productivity.

We want to know what you think about this study.

Tell us why you are happy or unhappy with your job.

Post your comments and Heidi will read some of them in the 10a hour of the newsroom.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. michael armstrong sr. TX.

When I was a Maytag repairman I loved my job I took on other brands just for something to do it was good until the government chased all the industries out of America with unfair taxes and unions .

January 5, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  2. S Williams

I have not gotten a raise in 5 years,and we are understaaffed,so I have to work on holidays. My employer feels that I should be grateful that I have a job so I am treated as disposable.

January 5, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  3. Nancy

I've been unhappy for several years at my job. I have a graduate degree and 20 yrs experience, but am now doing the level and type of work I could have done in high school. My fears + the economy + a dearth of jobs in my area have combined to keep me tethered. I try to be grateful to have a job; it's a battle between my happiness and my practicality/reality.

January 5, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  4. Shawn

I'm unhappy at work because I couldn't find anything in my hometown, so I have to travel and work jobs in other places, which keeps me away from home and my husband. I'm also trying to transition to doing what I truly love instead of what I'm doing now, which I hate. But this economy makes it very hard. So I work a job I hate in a place I'd rather not be just to make it. It's depressing.

January 5, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  5. David

I'm happy, but, then.......I am retired! (Of course it would have been nice to get a COLA increase).

January 5, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  6. Danny

You people need to be thankful you have a job. You're in a lot better shape than the 10% of people in America that are unemployed.

January 5, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  7. Brittany Drake

I totally agree with the percentage. I also believe that the attitude and tone of the job/office also plays a big part on job satisfaction. I can handle that the economy has caused budget cuts and few raises because my income is supplemental to my husbands but morale is not something that i can deal with.

January 5, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  8. Brenda

I work at a small, private University in Western NY. While the economy is not great (cuts have been made across the board) and no one got raises this year, I love my job and who I work with and for. It is the positive energy / attitude of my colleagues and the satisfaction of growing young people that keep me motivated. It doesn't hurt that my boss is topnotch and reporting to her is like standing in the sun.

January 5, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  9. Aponte

Being in the economical downfal this country is in I'm just happy HAVING a job. Not happy that I work this job.

January 5, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  10. David Gnida

Hey Heidi ive been an IBEW worker in NJ for the past three years. All though it was hard work, I did like it. Up until October 08 i was loving it until i found out that i had a bone disease that will keep me from enjoying the rest of my career. Now my disability has run out and my job searching isn't going so well. Hopefully stocks will be up soon so i could make some money.

January 5, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  11. Lorena

I'm a college student and I work part time on campus. Although I make minimum wage and am not allowed to put in too many hours, I love my work environment and would not change my job until I graduate. At the end of the day the size of your smile is more important than the size of your wallet.

January 5, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  12. Chocomel911

I have a great job, however as management tightens the corporate noose and adds ridiculous responsibilites not in my job scope, my enthusiasm is waning. Unfortunately we are obsessed with performance meterics, spread sheets and data which in reality do not reflect the unyeilding sacrifice made by team members. Work/life balance has been destroyed. I feel like Harriett Tubman navigating the underground railroad. I am likely to resign in the coming weeks.

January 5, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  13. Randa (AZ)

I LOVE what I do! It is everything I ever dreamed of and it turned out even better than my dream. A few sayings I try to go by: 1) Happiness is determined by ones state of mind than by external events. 2) If you can't do the job you love, love the job you do.

January 5, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  14. Yolanda from Canada

I think that to be happy in your job you need to:

1. be doing what you love (and not just what you can get)
    2. be able to talk to your boss, (wo)man to (wo)man, about what is going well or not so well without the fear of being reprimanded, and
    3. always be faced with a challenge so you reaffirm that you have the skills and can handle just about anything thrown your way.

Without these you'll be unhappy in your line of work and will regret ever going in for the initial interview. As a student, I don't work. But when I do decide to look for a career these elements are high on my list, along with the pay!

January 5, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  15. nabil batarseh

of course i am happy with my volunteer work,since i am retired and pick the volunteer job that will makes me happy.nabil

January 5, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  16. Bethany

I'm miserable at work. It would be nice if bosses actually still cared about their employees
    instead of be focused solely on the bottom line. The two can co-exist.

January 5, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  17. Kim Anglin

No, I'm not happy at my job. I'm thinking of going back to school if I can find a way to help pay the bills and the mortgage. The lack of jobs in our area, I'm in Oregon, keeps me stuck. I work for a great company with good benefits and low pay. It is positive work but monotonous with a high turnover. We've just came out of a hiring freeze but the past year or so those of us who still have jobs are working too hard to make up for being understaffed. I don't necessarily believe we'll ever be adequately staffed again.

January 5, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  18. andra

Hello, I am very happy with my job! I work in the music industry, for a great artist. We tour the country quite often and try and make evryones life at least a little better for 3 hours. I do think things will turn around, just takes time

January 5, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  19. Eric from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Heidi,
    I think this is a very interesting study. One which we need to look at more closely as American workers on an individual basis be it as a worker or leader in a company. We need to put our energies in making and working at jobs we like, jobs that make sense for our economy, and with that eliminate the vast dissatisfaction which exists in many occupations. This displeasure also leads to rudeness, bad customer service, and with it our enthusiasm overall. We have to love what we do daily so its not a job but a fun challenge to tackle everyday. Imagine the productivity we would have in the US if everyone or a majority of American's liked what they do.....The market would turn around and we'd get the country running again.

January 5, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  20. stephanie mims

very unhappy with the job situation. I work in corrections in Denver Colorado and now all we are seeing are bank robbers and grocery thefts. If the economy doesn't get better, the jails and prisons will be MORE overcrowded. People doesn't understand this!

January 5, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  21. Donna

I am very unhappy in my work place,I work in retail and the company have this thing about pay for performance, which I think stinks. If anyone knows working in retail is hard work and you don't make any money, Out dated equipment, no pay raised, due to the economy. We are not giving the opportunity to celebrate the hoildays with our familys. Anyone hiring nneds a good worker?

January 5, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  22. Shawn

@Danny Thankful does not necessarily equal Happy. I think we're all thankful. Doesn't mean we're happy.

January 5, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  23. Mary

I loved my job for several years, then new managment took over. Now they demand more production, more paperwork, no mistakes, and more overtime. Morale is at rock bottom. Yes, I am lucky to have a job- but I despise going there. Yes; overtime is nice on the paycheck, but it is nicer to spend time with my family. Managment can make or break a company. Management at my company treats the hourly employees like morons. Managers need to remember that employees are people; with lives and feelings. Most of all-A happy employee is a productive employee. I assure you there are not many happy employees at my company.

January 5, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  24. Linda

When I was working, I did like my job in fraud prevention but did not like my boss. It seems if you want to keep your job, you need to be an ass kisser. She was my boss not the owner of the company so why do people brown nose their boss? Some of my co-workers did and that's why I was let go.

January 5, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  25. Cindy Ruiz

I don't understand either. I left a job on 2007. stressed out and VERY unhappy.
    But I would rather be stressed out and have a jerk boss. Then have no job in these times. There are NO jobs to be found here in the desert ( Palm Springs, CA ) My husband and I are both out of work wirh 4 kids. Now how fun is that!!!!! Just kidding.
    Respectfully,
    Cindy Ruiz
    Palm Springs ,Ca

January 5, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  26. David

I have to say that I look forward going to work because I like what I do and where I work. Sure, there are things that could make it better, but I think I have a great boss and the employer is great. I consider myself to be very fortunate.

January 5, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  27. liza fortibui

Hello Heidi........my job is the public/community health education i'm getting....so i am very happuy with my job 🙂

January 5, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  28. Karen

My husband has been out of work since last April. So if anyone is lucky enough to have a job and is unsatisified with it, let us know. My husband would be interested.

January 5, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  29. Kimberly in Atlanta

I work from a home office, so the commute is great! And, since I'm my own boss, when the gal gets on my nerves, I just eat chocolate.

January 5, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  30. Henry Quoikapor

im not happy at my job, but i have no choice at this point in the economic. my pay is low, but i cant let it go.lol

January 5, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  31. RMorris

I have worked at the same hotel now for 2 years. In that time I have lost all insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, and under threat of termination; have worked every holiday for two years in spite of others with less seniority than I getting those days off. Furthermore, I haven't seen a raise in 18 months.

Satisfied? Not for 2 years at least.

I want to know what gives employers the rights to dump on their employees. Even Scrooge gave Cratchett off Christmas Day with pay!

January 5, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  32. Kevin L. / Omaha, NE

WHEN I'm working...it seems more like an social experiment. Who's going to be IN and who's NOT despite skills and performance. So I guess I'm not too happy WHEN I'm working. SELF-ENTITLEMENT seems to be the norm and works for those who ARE IN. The rest of us...well.

January 5, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  33. David

As a college professor I am dissatisfied with a job that I used to love. First, we have a state government that has never given us enough money for adequate salaries, supplies, and equipment. Secondly, more and more students come to college unprepared and unmotivated. They come to classes late and leave early; they are rude and unattentive yet they all want to make A's for what is at best mediocre work. The bright spot is the international students who respect teachers and work very hard. Part of the problem is America's overall disrespect for learning, it's anti-intellectualism. We pay coaches of football and basketball millions yet hesitate to reward great teachers. Our priorities are misplaced.

January 5, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  34. M

It is not about whether I like where I work because I absolutely love my line of work. What I am seeing is the work more with less resources and payroll. It is tough, the management knows it is an employers market and everyone is expendable. Sell, sell, sell!

January 5, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  35. Tarrie Franke

I am dissatisfied with my work operation. It's not that I dislike what I do.I dislike the politics. For example, our CEO received a 6 million dollar severance package when he partially retired. All the employees had to take a 24 hour cut in combined time off. The hospital reported a 6 million dollar profit. Who do you think paid for the bonus. Exactly, it's not the CEO's or Presidents of corporation that take the loss,
    taf

January 5, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  36. jake

If you dont like your boss spend the money to start your own company... Most people are unhappy with their jobs, but if they started working for themselves it might help turn their frowns upside down. Self-employment was my pass to being happy with my job because every moment I work it is for my future.

January 5, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  37. michael p

i am a career wildland firefighter of 16 years. i have an extreme passion for all aspects of my job and have NEVER felt it was unsecure.......... i am currently employed by a private firm, my supervisor is positive thinking motivator and i am very proud and happy to be working for him......... i wish eveybody could feel this way

January 5, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  38. Ella

I am extremely unhappy with my job coupled with fact that i do 10 peoples job and get 1 persons job.
    The fact that i do have a job that does not pay well plus a boss who doesn't even like own herself is enough stress for the day

January 5, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  39. Eileen

I love my job. I work as a substitute teacher for grades k-8. Everyday is rewarding and the kids are so much fun. Although the pay is not that great; I look forward to going to work!

January 5, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  40. Pat

I LOVE my co-workers.My boss is a NINNY!!!.I'm been kind.

Toronto

January 5, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  41. James Cash

For the people who are not happy at their job or with their co-workers...Think of living today without a job...You may just see the good in your job...When you can't afford to drive, eat, live...Then while your imagining this think of throwing a child in the mix...It's sad that society can't just be greatful for what we CAN do or what CAN have...Remember all the places in the world where the populus doesn't get the choice to even dislike their job because there aren't jobs to hate...

January 5, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  42. Ann

I love my job and the people with whom I work! As planned, I retired last year but when I was offered another position, even at a significantly-reduced salary, I jumped at the opportunity. I value my education and, formerly as a public school teacher and presently as a college instructor, attempt to excite my students about learning. So far the feedback is encouraging.

January 5, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  43. Amos Morris

Yes, I'm generally happy at my work. I am the director of a zoo in the midwest and have the pleasure of working with individuals who are passionate about the work they do. They are not always happy people but they are passionate. I've learned over time that job happiness is really up to ones self. Yes, there are bad situations but one always has a choice. If the negativity is overwhelming, make a change. I've learned from my wife that money is not the most valuable thing in life. Just knowing that helps me handle the hard times at work thus it keeps things in perspective and balanced. I do not seek happiness from others but from within. From within is what I can affect thus I try not to focus on those things I can not affect.

January 5, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  44. Reddie

I'm happier now than I was since I realized that I'm pretty much fire proof. My job comes with benefits and it's hard work but very worth it. The boss is in her own little world and what she does doesn't really affect me. No one likes her and I believe she knows it. I work at an assisted living facility which it full to capacity and with a waiting list. That is impressive in my world since there are other facilities nearby that have many openings. I cook for them and hearing "I love you"' each and every day makes me very humble. My love is genuinely returned many times over.

January 5, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  45. Mike Hawkins

I love my job. Finding something you truly have a passion for and getting paid for it is a dream come true. Anyone can do it, you just have to believe in yourself and make it happen.

Mike Hawkins
    Duck, NC

January 5, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  46. Days

When you are self-employeed and you get to spend part of your day watching CNN with Heidi Collins is on air and with McHottie Rob Marciano working the weather board, how can one NOT be happy while at work? Looking good guys!! ;c)

January 5, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  47. Latoya Brown

I'm thankful in this economy that I have a job..it doesn't always pay the bills (and I am in no way living beyond my means). However my biggest problem with my job at an airline company is the way management treats us. We are berated, written up constantly for things which we have no control and when we try to speak out our jobs are threatened. Favoritism is the rule of the day and when employees try to lighten each others loads the reprimanded. It has gotten so bad I get physically sick going to work

January 5, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  48. Dennis

I enjoy my workplace & co-workers. It pays well & gives me the extras in life i wouldn't have if i was anywhere else. The automotive trade has given me the life i desire & well rewarded.

January 5, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  49. Debbie

We are unhappy because there is no loyalty anymore from or with employers. Employment is constantly one step away from the next layoff so a company can make wall st numbers every quarter...or it's contract work which is fleeting also.

Then they work us to death 50+ hours a week non stop and we are exhausted. I dont know anyone who is not exhausted. None of us have time for anything accept work. No wonder we are unhappy. And we dont even get overtime.

So basically all the worker protections of the 20th century have slipped away and we've gone back to a sweatshop model for the 21st century.

Corporate America needs to return to a model of value and partnership with their employees. Stability and reasonable hours instead of a barbaric war on thier workers like they've had for the last 15+ years.

January 5, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  50. Serenity

I HATE MY JOB!!!! I work for the post office... all the uncertainty and horrible management makes it really hard to force myself to go there everyday.....At this point all i can pray i win the lottery!!!! And honestly if I could just go and do my job every day I would actually love it, but it really is like they go out of their way to make the employees miserable!!! I dont know why I guess its in hopes that they will quit!!!

January 5, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  51. Robert

I hope to find a job I am happy with. I was happy with the last job. Most of it is attitude. Walgreens is opening within walking distance. I am leaving this comment box to apply on line there.

January 5, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  52. T. King

the social security admin should be proud that their employees are doing, they get promotions here in Neb for dening services and access to anyone that knows what they are to provide or been getting itand ssa decides that you dont need it anymore like me, i went throw a year of a appeal that they tried to stick a waarent to my name so they could deny me, yes they suppervior got a promotion for stopping most app/claims for benefits.!

January 5, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  53. vincent

i hated my job, i hated my boss, and i hated my coworkers. i quit bought farm equipment and have becomne a custom farmer. now i love my job, i love my boss {me}, and i love my coworkers {me again}. if you are not happy it is up to you to make yourself happy.

January 5, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  54. Travis

I'd be happy at my work, if I had a place to work. In the last 9 months of unemployment, I've learned to be thankful for what you have. I was in the 40% of technical people in the small business demographic. Unfortunately that company went under.

January 5, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  55. Joe

I am very happy at work. I'm a police officer, and it's my job to deal with new and different people everyday. What better way to get the pulse of the community than to be out in it and interact with its citizens in both their best and worst of times? I just wish it was a bit of a warmer endeavor lately!

January 5, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  56. Kandace

I fly almost every week for my job. Am I happy at work? NO! Why? See the post below: New TSA Rules. Just sick of dealing with all this as my lifestyle. Of course, nobody is hiring so I'm 100% stuck.

January 5, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  57. MikeP

a few months ago a fellow employee threatened me, I continually work in fear, but the job market is so bad I cannot leave. I'm treated with fewer rights than ever before, less respect than ever before, and paid less than ever before. To make matters worse my employer doesn't pay unemployment (yes, it's possible!) so the only way out is to quit, which isn't an option. Save me!

January 5, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  58. Krstofer

You know.. When I was in the Military, civilians who complained about their jobs rather annoyed me. Why? They could get a different job- Or even quit working entirely. But if I failed to go to work the Military Police would come to my house & take me to jail.
    Quite the work incentive there.
    So. Don't like your job? Stop moaning & go find one you like. Or join the Military- You might still hate your (new) job but you'll be protecting the rights of those unhappy civilians back at your old job.. And that really warms the heart.

January 5, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  59. Ty

I wish that I had a job to go to! I have 20 plus years of workexperience and an MBA, however, after being laid off from my job in July, I've had exactly 2 interviews, despite a daily job search. Did I mention that I'm also a veteran of Afghanistan? I'm socially isolated by my lack of work. I'd rather be back on the battlefield. The veteran's programs simply can't help when employers aren't hiring. Companies are still taking advantage of the savings from cutting positions. A recovery is a bit far off.

January 5, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  60. Kathy

I've been a nurse for many years and until the last few years, I've loved my job. Now we are saddled with so much paperwork due to federal and state regulations, that we can't spend suffaicient time with our patients.

LPN/LVNs are being trained to do RN duties because of the nursing shortage but are not being paid anymore even though they are having much more responsibility put on them.

Maybe the reason there's an RN shortage is because nurses are the Rodney Dangerfield of the medical profession. We get no respect, experience long hours with forced overtime and there's never enough staff to enable us to take more than a few days vaction at one time.

January 5, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  61. Mike A.

I am a captain for an airline. need I say more. Since 9/11 I, like many have suffered loss of position due to airline closure, reduced pay, benefits, increased work hours, increased scrutiny on operating procedures all while our executive level asks for more. Am I happy to have a job? sure, I just wish it was in an industry that isn't constantly hanging on failure

January 5, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  62. monika

I had to change my job twice, along with careers, to find one that makes me happy. I am glad I did that. Don't be afraid to keep looking and take an other chance. We just have to be patient but keep your mind open to try something new and give it your best.

January 5, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  63. steven

I have worked with Developmental disabled People for over 4 years now, when I got into the field it was rewarding, now it is just all paper work and mostly just redoing paper work(multiple times ) for a boss that has lost it the first time it was done. Then having co-workers that steal from the job and continuously make the same mistakes over and over after working there for 14 years and never getting into trouble, and knowing that raises and along with employee reviews are never given makes it really hard to come to work, many a times I have sat in my car convincing myself that I need to be happy I have a job.

January 5, 2010 at 11:11 am |
  64. Kelly, DC

I work for a very selfish man who has admitted that he doesn't care about anything but his salary. Unfortunately he works for the federal government. This is a problem because when I want to protect the taxpayer's money, he is so nonchalant. He really couldn't care less.

I am actively seeking employment elsewhere. I enjoy working for the government, and I enjoy doing my job, which is to spend the taxpayers' money wisely. I hate going to work, but I will continue to do my job in spite of my supervisor.

January 5, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  65. Tammy

I am very unhappy with my current employer. it is a very small business, business is slow, the company debt is high and the owner does not make very good business decisions and treats his employees poorly. Morale is very low and most of the employees dread their jobs as much as I do. I have looked for other jobs but in this economy, they are few and far between. I am thankful I have a job but this job has taken a toll on my health and I have vowed to find a new job this year.

January 5, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  66. Steve

I had a pretty good job in a family owned company until last April and I got laid off. I could survive on unemployment but after Labor Day I went to work with a friend. Two months into the job I got blamed for an equipment failure...the Plant Manager called me into his office at quitting time on Friday the 13th to interrogate me. I thought that I was laid off but found out later that they were blocking my unemployment stating that I'd been terminated. They had postponed doing the welding certs (required in DOD work) and got the results back after I was dumped, and all 3 welders had failed the test for the same reason. Currently I am working on writing to my state senator, etc.
    Worst part? I can't even afford my health insurance now.....

January 5, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  67. Lee Dell

I work for a Car Dealership that places constant pressure on the salesman to lie to customers just to get the sale and make The Director look good. When sales are down, salesman are punished via working longer hours while The Director figures new ways to steal money from the salesman. I hate my job do to customers returning with car problems that the dealership chooses not fix while more money is siphoned from the salesman pockets. Has anyone noticed that more stores are open on Thanksgiving and Christmas days? Whatever happen to people spending time with their families.

January 5, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  68. Connie D.

I am OK with my current job. But that is not what I went to school for. I went to school to be a Medical Assistant. But no one tells you that being bi-lingual is a must. So I am not working because I am a white American that does not speak Spanish. I am asking you where in our Constitution it Say's you have to speak Spanish to work??? How can it be a requirement to be bi-lingual? I feel the USA is not for the American but for the other then American. This has to stop or start teaching Spanish in grade school so out kids know that you have two be bi-lingual work work and live in America. So the white person can have the same opportunity as the Mexican.

In God We Trust

January 5, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  69. Larson

I work for an old established American company with revenues in the billions. Recently we found out that many of our administrative jobs are being offshored to India. Many people walk on eggshells, nervous about the future. Any raises this year will likely be around 2.5% if you are lucky to receivie one.

January 5, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  70. Katie

I work as a pharmacy technician at a major retail pharmacy. The thing that bothers me most is that customers aren't always aware of changes in their plan and blame us when we can't pay a claim.. They yell at us, call us stupid and management says we must just take the abuse to keep business. They are also gradually fazing out fulltime and adding more part timers to save on benefits. Last year raises were 1/2 of what they normally are yet cost of benefits increased about 5%. The biggest frustration is that we are being asked to do more for less and cannot possible keep up the level of service we are known for because of this

January 5, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  71. Nobody Special

I don't like my job any more. Theres no advancement in my state job for me.. I always wanted to be a NASCAR driver.. I believe I could do it, if given the chance... Its sad that more and more people don't like their jobs anymore. Bosses should try harder to make their employees happier.. Are wages a factor, has wages keep up with inflation, I don't think so.

January 5, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  72. Anna

I am very happy with my job. I believe that a higher education increases your chances of attaining the job you want. I am also in graduate school and noticed that many of my colleagues are having no trouble finding multiple job offers.

January 5, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  73. Nobody Special

Well sometimes higher education will get you a better job. I have seen that no education will get you a better job. I don't qualify for that class.

January 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  74. penny

totally unhappy. lost my job and currently work temp jobs. I take what's available and therefore suffer according to what they want me to do and the income I take in, which doesn't cover my bills/needs in any way shape or form. right now it's about staying as close to afloat as possible. going after what I really want is almost unreachable in this current recession climate.

January 5, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  75. GinaBina

I don't think anyone is stating they aren't grateful for a job, but the working environment definitely has changed in the past 5+ years. I am happy and grateful to have a job and the type of job that I have; however, I am not happy with climate at all. Morale is low...so low to where our managers are feeling it, too. Many changes have taken place, such as increased costs, salary cuts, job reclassification, a hold on education reimbursement (such as paying for a class or a certification) but they still expect you to expand it, layoffs, outsourcing, etc... In addition, each year we have seen where it is almost impossible to get an above average rating when you do excellent work, because there is a limit on how many of those ratings can be given.
    I'm hearing these woes across the board with others in the corporate world, so I do not feel alone. I just wish the working climate was better. If this is un-happy environment like this for me, I'm sure there are others in worse conditions or without a job. I hope things get better for everyone.

January 5, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  76. Michele

I like my job, but, like everyone else, I am worried about keeping due to the economy. We had to take pay cuts, and the state in which I live has revamped its tax codes, which has taken a bit more money out of my check. I think my employer tries to be motivating and keeping our office positive (we had a potluck holiday party) but layoffs are always possible.

January 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  77. Kim Roberts

I feel that everyone is unhappy with their job at one time or other but those same people really need to think about all the unemployed people out here (like me) who would give anything to just have the security of a job and health insurance! I am a single mom with health issues that I can't get help for because of no insurance. My son also has health issues but thankfully he has medicaid and though it doesn't cover every doctor at least I can get him help. People should be thanking God that they have a job even when they are unsatisfied with it!

January 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  78. debbie

I'm a 53 year old widow and I love my job, but hate the pay. It does not cover my monthly bills or my medicine. I work for the school systems as a bus aid and haven't gotten a raise in over 4 years, even though I've been there full-time for 7 years and subbed for them for 4 years before I became full-time. I'm a diabetic and I've had a stroke and I need the health insurance but it's so stressful just trying to make ends meet it feels like it's not even worth it anymore.

January 5, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  79. the_untitled

god i hate my job.

January 5, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  80. scott

I'm very unhappy with how most factory jobs are. Way to many Illegals working in jobs were Americans citizens should be .Here in Wisconsin it's very, very bad.Employers keep wages very low this way, And bad insurance. It's time to keep Americans working not Illegals.

January 5, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  81. Nathan

Yes, those of us who are employed are thankful for the jobs we have; especially with so many around us who are out of work.

But a lot of us had to take jobs that aren't ideal in order to put food on the table. It's not that we're ungrateful, it's merely that we'd jump at the opportunity to work somewhere better if it came along.

January 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  82. randy

Yes, it time to punish employers for hiring Illegals.Wake up America.

January 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  83. Elisabeth, from Brazil

I'm not satisfied with my work. I'm economy student and would like to work in the economy/finances area, not as secretary of the mayor... 😦

January 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
  84. "Bob"

While I'm thankful to have a job, I am completely unhappy at work. The general work environment is good, however my manager has no real experience in the field (Higher Ed) and it is difficult to respect her as a manager. Additionally, we are furloughed two days per month due to the California budget crisis and next year looks to be worse than this year. Furloughs were a compromise to lay offs, which looks inevitable for next year. To make matters worse, management seems to think that the same amount of work can be completed even though staff work hours are reduced by 10%. Of course, publicly, they say otherwise. Very unhappy at work.

January 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  85. Vance

I am very fortunate to work for a company that listens (for the most part) of what is going on and what needs to be done. The bad thing is with the economy being still down we have a hard time making any money and are struggling since we are not able to charge a decent price for our services. You do have to keep a positive attitude at work and that things will get better. If you dont have a good outlook then your fellow workers can also start becoming unproductive and things just get worse. I just smile and look at the good things everyday and more people should do so.

January 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  86. Michelle

I'm not happy with my job. I work at a college and while I love helping students on a day to day basis, working in a bureaucracy limits my chances of a promotion. There is no promotion based on performance. Everything is based office politics.

January 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  87. Robert

I love my job but see as with about 98% of us working will never see any kind of real retirement like my parents and grandparents enjoyed! I also believe that since theres no future for the rest of us then we should not have to pay for all of these outlandus retirements. The only reason some in this country are enjoying retirement is because I`m paying for it one way or another! To promise past generations with things like the generous retirement plans and expect future generations to pick up the tab is ludicrus! I look at my Grandfathers Social Security statement and what he made and paid into taxes is a mere drop in the bucket to what I`ve already paid and I`m only 40 yet he got to retire at 60 with all the bells and whistles while I`ll never see any real retirement!

January 5, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  88. Robert

I think the question now needs to be asked of the wealthy in this country, Do you enjoy your wealth? As long as the rich people in this country keep trying to find next to nothing labor costs and keep outsourcing our jobs to slave labor countries such as Mexico and China then we will see the final decline to this country within my lifetime! The more people you keep putting out of work means less people to buy your products and services! It will come around back to you and it wont be what you are looking for! I think it shameful for any American to ship jobs overseas all in the name of having more material things! Greed is the down fall of this country! On the other hand I`m sick of supporting other peoples habits and wants just because I have more than them! I say if you arent willing to work hard you dont deserve the free handouts! I`m sick of watching people sit on their butts while having everything I have without working for it! Live within your means!

January 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  89. Chris

With the recession everybody is cutting their workforce, but there should be some lines that you don't cross.

I work for a major company in Manhattan and we have endured more work, less employees, higher prescription co-pays (40 – 60% of cost to be paid by the employee) fewer managers with more responsibility, no more central heat and air (it broke last April and they won't fix it; can you say portable loud A/C).

In addition to all of that the employees get less recognition for their efforts, new restrictions emposed while at work, customers who can't read their confirmations before arriving at our place of business and half hearted meetings with managers and departments to see why morale is down and what the Co. can do to improve it.

It is simple, stop being greedy with the profits (which we are making by the way) and fix what needs fixing in a timely manner; better prescription plan options (only one option now); one or two more qualified employees to help with the work load or one or two more managers that can step in and help when the need arises.

These simple steps would help relieve some stress while at work, in turn making for a better work environment.

January 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  90. Robert

People with less are NOT owed by the people with more! This Obama mentality has to stop for the better of this nation!

January 5, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  91. Robert

Chris you live in manhatten quit crying about not having AC! If you had no heat I could see you complaining! AC is a luxury not a need! This is exactly whats wrong with Americas workforce! SPOILED!

January 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  92. Robert

Hey what about gas prices....they keep going up and up and up with no real signs of the economy improving! Its time we nationalize the oil industry the same as we have done with medical care! If its ok to socialize health care than it should be the same for oil! By the way to hell with Obamacare!The only people who will be glad its here are the ones not paying for insurance right now! Both my wife and I work fulltime and pay over $500 per month for lackluster health insurance while the guy laying on his couch get free or next to free health care, this is what Obamacare will be best known for!

January 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  93. David

Does the poll say anything about people who love their boss?

With unemployment so high I guess there's some irony in this poll, but maybe the job satisfaction number has to do with those that have a job right now being overloaded with work because of layoffs and cuts to the workforce, as well as the pay cuts, and ins costs eating into employee's earnings.

Having said that, we seeing a comeback in the economy, and some perking up in various sectors–in housing, manufacturing for instance and that could get things moving again and that would be good for everyone.

January 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  94. Violet

Lorena- love this quote you gave: "At the end of the day the size of your smile is more important than the size of your wallet."

January 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm |
  95. randy

Robert, It's the greed of upper management that has been spoiled. They have made America go down to third world living. With millions of dollars they want more and more. Never happy with what they have so they keep taking away from the middle class.Sending jobs away to other countries what's wrong with America. Just so they can fill their pockets.

January 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  96. Bill

I was so unhappy at work that I retired last June at 55. I've never regretted it for a minute. The day I retired it was like lifting a huge weight off my back and the stress just disappeared.

January 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  97. Rich R. Chases

Why would an American employer hire American workers when the employer can hire an illegal or oversea's outsource for multiples increase in profit. Of course there's the added benefit of hiring only part time workers with no health benefits and low pay to to sell these oversea's outsourced products in my retail outlets.

January 5, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  98. brian h bourgoine

robert.....oh sorry, Robert whats the answer ? Please DO NOT say more right wingers. ....We tried that !! and we almost bankrupt the country fighting a war in Iraq looking for someone living in the afghan mts. But I'm not worried we can still borrow from China (or walmart)

January 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
  99. Yoaredee

I lost my business to hurricanes Wilma and Katrina in Florida. I took a job until I had a chance to recover and It's been over four years since and I'm not happy with what I do. No benefits, no nothing. Just an ordinary job where the boss is the only one making money. I'm currently on vacation sitting at home; my first vacation since 2005 and I find myself thinking what should I do. I guess I'm lucky to have a job these days, but not enough to make me happy. There's so much trouble in the world.. I wonder if anyone is happy at all. Even people that are well-off financially are not happy. There must be something missing in our society, something we lost along the way.
    Thanks.

January 5, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  100. Dubi

I am happy for having a job that enables me to help my parents and family. Positive outlook helps, and good colleagues and working environment. Always look on the brighter side 🙂

January 5, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  101. Valerie Reyes

Heidi,
    recently our 31/2 year old grandson became the grammar police. He pointed out to us that we were to say yes not yeah, uh huh or nod or heads. We were amazed at how often he was correcting us. It obviously an easy habit to slip into. I hope that you will share this information with you fellow anchors, as we have noticed that yeah is very prevalent. WE enjoy your show very much.

Valerie Reyes

January 5, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  102. Robert

no brian we tried Bush o nomics, totally failure! Now we have swung the other way, making a bunch of lazy people looking for free handouts is not what I call change! While your writing this message on your Blackberry and complaining at the same time! I say go without before asking the tax payer for a handout! Brian by the way Obama is extending these wars that Bush Started! Whats your answer to that?

January 6, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  103. wayne yasinski

I am unhappy at work because some of the managers believe and act like they are better than anyone else. In the retail trade some of the large corporations should look at the big picture. The workers who produce the product to sell to the consumer are the actual assets, the management are more of a liabilty because of the elitist attitudes that they carry.

January 6, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  104. bburns

I am almost 63 years of age and, although many friends have retired, I love going to my job every day bright and early. I followed my passion as a young man and have never regretted it – in fact, it sustains my interest and energies. People should not blame the circumstances that make them unhappy; after all, they either created or succombed to them!

January 6, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  105. randy

Being happy at your job usaully depends on your boss, he can make a job great or bad .But most bosses are spoon feed idots.THey care mostly about themselves and not the workers.Happy workers make happy bosses.But they don't understand that.

January 6, 2010 at 11:02 am |
  106. John in Florida

I keep seeing how the job losses are declining but nothing about jobs being created. The vast majority of people who have lost jobs are still unemployed. Job web sites are asking for volunteers and advertising schools. The economic down swing is slowing? That's great news.

January 6, 2010 at 11:04 am |
  107. Bruce in Missouri

I think the majority of people are unhappy at their jobs in this country because employers have increasingly not taken care of their employees and paid them a liveable wage and benefits that are reasonable affordable. 10 dollars an hour is barely above the poverty lines these days but dont try telling that to many employers. I am willing to bet if you polled those making less than $30,000 a year a great source of their unhappiness with work would likely derive from their feeling of not being paid what they are actually worth. I dont believe in most company that employees or employers are loyal to each other anymore. Both sides see the other as disposable.

January 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  108. Mike

I used to be happy with my small-time pizza delivery job... Now, I'm working 70 hours a week between delivering and working in the kitchen just to make myself indepensible and to keep my job... Good pay? Check. Happiness? I'll get back to you on that.

January 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  109. gloria lewis

In my 23 years of living in the usa i can never truely say i was ever happy at work .I have always lived in fear of loosing my job ,it has now got a hundred times worst .Lower class blacks and minorities really were always the underdogs as the economy has gotten worst and so many people out of work the playing field is really bad .We always had to do more now we have to do even more .
    I tell you what its not a good feeling its a feeling, that why as long as their is life in my body i will do any and everything in my power to prevent my 20 years old son from ever having to feel what myself and so many others feel.Its like you are in a mental prison and you have no idea when your time will end .You just keep hoping it will get better on your job but it gets worst .By the way the jobs that were lost is not coming back and the economy is not turning around not for at least 4 more years .

January 6, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  110. christa

When I was still working, I hated to get up in the morning and go to work. I worked in a government position and 40% of the people got the job, because they were friends or relatives of the 3 people who ran the agency. It also showed that they hated to work and if someone said something, they ran to their relatives or friends. You said somethink work related and you were in trouble, because they said it was racist. We need so many people in government, because like I said 40% do not work, but drink coffee and run around in the office, while other people have to redo, the little work they did. I do not mind anyone who works hard, but it made you angry, just to see those lazy co-workers. So when I retired it took me over two years, to get rid of the stress and to start enjoying my life again. Wonder how many people from Chicago, got a job from Obama in Washington D.C.

January 7, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  111. Babzuptown

I am a nurse in a hospital. I often take abuse from patient family members who come in suspicious that I am out to harm their loved one. I take abuse from condescending MDs. I take abuse from managers who are so wrapped up in health care as a consumable product. There is a revolving door of admits and discharges on this critical floor and everyone needs it done NOW. Acuity vs the number of patient assignments mean nothing. Some days are better than others, but for the most part, I leave feeling like I have survived another day. Nursing in America is a set up.

January 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  112. twklyn

i am very thankful that i work as security ive had a job the last six months when the john deere factory in my town temp layed off for six months

January 9, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  113. Bobbie Ray

I hate my job almost to the point of tears. My coworkers are awesome but I work in telecommunication customer service and over the phone people are extremely disrespectful. However I've recenly decided to follow my life long dream of being a stand up comedian and at 25 years old I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel

January 9, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  114. Dawn Shaw

I like my job and it keeps my interest but not enough companies (including my own) are encouraging a creative environment to keep our attention. I think it has to do with management styles that are not keeping up with how the younger generation function at its peak. We need work/life balance, we need flexibility with our schedule to stay fresh and innovative. The 9-5 work day doesn't work anymore. We need flat structures that encourage innovation based on individual preferences. If you are a morning person, work in the morning – if late night owl, work then. Companies that have tapped into this need have been proven very successful (ex:yahoo).

January 9, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  115. Fred - Illinois

I take exception to the findings of this survey. (1) Those employees who are fortunate enough to have a job are being vastly over worked. They are being forced to wear 4 and 5 hats. (2) Because employers in many companies know that there is a huge gap between the availability of employment and employees. (3) Because employees are being asked to assume even more responsibilities on their job, the stress level has increased dramatically for those currently employed (4) Increased employee monitoring (5) Far too many employees are “faking it till’ they make it” attitude thus causing great dissension employees (5) Employees are having to pull double shifts to make ends meet. (6) Employees have witness an increase across the board in prices for good and service. These are the most salient reasons why 45% of Americans workers are dissatisfied with their jobs. The replacement o f old jobs/careers is moving too slow. Just thinks, what would happen if the unemployment was at 2% in today’s climate?

January 12, 2010 at 1:58 am |