Today on CNN Newsroom

January 12th, 2010

Delta’s new baggage fees are…

Starting today, for those passengers who don’t pay their fees online, Delta will charge $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second. That’s a $10 increase for Delta, and more than most other airlines charge. (Read the full story here.)

We want to know what you think – so fill in the rest of this sentence:

Delta’s new baggage fees are…

Heidi will read some of your comments on the air during the 10am ET hour of Newsroom.

Filed under: Heidi Collins
  1. Bill Palmer

...an illegal act of collusion between the TSA and the airlines to make it nearly impossible to carry on your bag so they can force you to pay exorbitant fees to check your luggage. It's the equivalent of the health department forbidding the eating of french fries with your fingers and then the restaurant charging you $25 for the use of a fork.

January 12, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  2. Shawn

a gross abuse of the consumer. How much longer are consumers going to stand for this? I guess we're so busy trying to head off other issues like rising healthcare costs, housing costs and fuel costs that we don't have time to be concerned about the fact that Airlines are taking advantage of us. I fly internationally most times and now prefer American because they don't charge bag fees on International flights. Domestically, I'll be looking at Southwest now. Sorry Delta...

January 12, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  3. masimons

Fees are ridiculous. Cancel your flight and dispute the charge.
    And especially skip going to Canada while they are banning ANY carryon.
    Let flights go empty.

January 12, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  4. Vince in Massachusetts

"Skyway Robbery" !!!!!!!

January 12, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  5. Rachel

why I fly naked.

January 12, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  6. Dan B.

blatant price gouging and will come back to haunt them. Especially with Southwest Airlines advertising no baggage fees.

January 12, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  7. Ruby

Delta's new baggage fees are bogus. The flights are already over priced.

January 12, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  8. Joe

criminal. They are feeing themselves out of our flying plans. I just booked airfare on Southwest where bags fly free, this is something Delta needs to think about.

January 12, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  9. Dean

bad PR...they should have buried half the price in the ticket and applied the other half to the bags. that way it wouldn't have looked so bad

January 12, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  10. Anne

These fees are ridiculous. Delta's customer service is already non-existent, and now they are going to create an even more frustrating scenario as people cram as much as they can into carry-ons and try to put them into overflowing overhead bins. I for one will be choosing airlines like Southwest with free bags and much lower fares.

January 12, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  11. Eddie

Delta's new baggage fees are ludicrous, a way to rip off the flying public....fly on Southwest–BAGS FLY FREE!

January 12, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  12. leah

This is absolutely ridiculous...if that's the case I just won't fly on Delta. I will fly Jetblue for that extra amount.

January 12, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  13. Maria

it is ridiculous. I like to see what other airlines are going to do. If anything all airlines should be included in one price and not separate.

January 12, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  14. Karen

I have had multiple abdominal surgeries and cannot lift anything more than 5 lbs. When traveling by myself I am forced to check a bag because I cannot carry that weight. So far I have paid the fee but I am thinking about filing a complaint under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

January 12, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  15. Darla

I would like to know why they don't charge their employee's and families the baggage fee and also more of a fee to fly, as I have several family members working for the airlines. I guess another perk for the employee!

January 12, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  16. nap

Are not enough for them to make a
    Profit in today's economic environment.

January 12, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  17. Mo

Adding $100 to my round-trip ticket is the difference between whether I go somewhere or not. I'll drive my Prius and take the scenic route instead...

January 12, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  18. Tanya

another good reason to take carry-on ONLY!!

January 12, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  19. T

Silly. I'd rather they added the 50$ fee to the base ticket price. No hassle of having to pay extra for bags at check-in, no people struggling with their overflowing carry-ons at security, and more money for Delta since they'd be getting the fees from all passengers. Should be a no-brainer for the airlines.

January 12, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  20. David Gray

Delta's new baggage fees are the reason why I fly Southwest (no baggage fees).

January 12, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  21. Katherine

Rediculous! The increased charges to check baggage encourage passengers to carry-on and further stress TSA! The opposite should be occuring. . . TSA should FORCE the airlines to require as many bags as possible be checked (x-rayed of course)! Stop nickle and diming people, DELTA!

January 12, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  22. MBN

--are cold and indicative of the painful economic times we are in!

January 12, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  23. Molly Brown

Delta’s new baggage fees are… typical "big business – take take take" tactics. It's a shame that the war on terrorism has become the new way to increase "big business" profit margins.

January 12, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  24. Javier

very clever for their pockets not our's

January 12, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  25. Thomas

Delta's new baggage fees are going to hurt their business. I will only use Delta if I can't find the flight I need from another airline.

January 12, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  26. Russ

Delta’s new baggage fees are going to cause passengers to max out their carry-ons, overfilling the overhead bins leading to gate check frustration and flight delays.

January 12, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  27. Giovanna

Delta's new baggage fees are a rip!

January 12, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  28. Otto Frank

I agree that it is a shock to pay extra fees for checked bags , however I also think that
    some newscasters are not telling the truth about financial facts .
    I hear a lot of talk about the airlines "making money" on bag fees , would you please research which airlines are actually showing a yearly profit .If CNN was loosing money year after year , would you continue to operate ?

January 12, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  29. Saba

Ridiculous! Why doesn't the government do something to stop these skyrocketing fees? Isn't it enough that we spend hundreds of dollars to buy our tickets? Why must we be charged extra for our bags? What's next, a charge on extra clothes we might be carrying onto the plane.....10 bucks per jacket??

January 12, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  30. Lawrence Johnson

Hello, having just returned from the Philippines/ St.Louis via delta airlines for what cost 1500.00 something, you me to tell me they can't haul my one bag under fifty pounds for that rate. Maybe it's time to start to put these over charging companies in their place by not using them.

January 12, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  31. Lavern (Tampa)

Delta’s new baggage fees are ridiculous,...what else can they possibily do to their customers other than break our Pockets...... I will not be flying on Delta.....

January 12, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  32. Tim Bone

More fees for less service. long lines, aging dirty aircraft, tighter seating, less capacity and if you are a frequent flyer, get in line for the possiblity of an upgrade to the 'wanna be section" where most likely there are crumbs in the seat, unclean blankets, and used pillows.
    What happended to the "Friendly Skies"?

Fasten your seat belts (they are free for now)

Tim Bone
    Director, Conventions, Events, Meetings & Travel
    SEIU

January 12, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  33. Scott Stodden

Delta's fees are outrageous! Heidi what will cost us American's in the end to keep us safe? Im sorry but I do not support this because airlines already charge enough for plane tickets themselves now in order for us to be safer we have to pay more money for them to do there jobs and check our bags yeah right!

Scott Stodden
    (Freeport,Illinois)

January 12, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  34. jennifer Kelly

Delta's new baggage fees are rediculous. I haven't been able to travel to see my family for over a year due to all the changing fees. I use to travel about once every two months. I would think most people have this problem and if the airlines would drop fees they would have more people traveling. That should take care of the issue. one person with a baggage fee or 5 people paying for a ticket. Does not take a rocket scientist.

January 12, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  35. Brett

...justifiable. Why you ask? The airlines have not made a profit in over a year now, even with bag fees. If you want to fly from NYC to LAX for $99, I think it is justifiable to charge $300 dollars in bag fees making the ticket worth what it is really worth. These online ticket sales vendors are ruining a business model that is already broken. That is why you are paying for bag fees. I find it funny how every time there is a ticket price hike or bag fee hike people throw a fit. However, they expect to fly across the county in six hours for $99. Go rent a car and see how much that will cost to accomplish, not forgetting the time it would take. This is why Pilots are being paid wages that require them to have a second job and live at home with their parents (Rebecca Shaw) causing a safety issue. But, who cares, I don't want to pay for my bag fees?

January 12, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  36. Samuel Marein-Efron

The baggage fees are an attack to the pocketbooks of the old and the infirm,

I have a very serious case of scoliosis and i am unable to lift anything above 20 pounds, and lifting anything over my head is out of the question. So I either have to pay or live from the charity of strangers.

Gotcha!

January 12, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  37. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Delta's new baggage fees are a sign of what's to come with other airlines to follow in there wake of new high tech scanners to spot radicals. you can blame this on Comacozy butt bombers

January 12, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  38. John Lettelleir

Delta’s new baggage fees are…necessary to keep the airline financially sound given increasing airport and fuel charges. Most all airlines now have ancillary fees and have 'raised' fees such as bag fees within the year even though the Ticket Fees may have come down. Airlines need to remain profitable and paying fees may teach all of us how to shop, pack and select our airline carriers. Examining airport fee charges to airlines such as landing fees and examining safety issues at specific airports might be an area interest to focus on for a future inquiry. Passengers should NOT ever be encouraged to Carry On MORE luggage by the way. Already TSA limits what can be in Carry On and we ALL PAY for TSA screening by the way ... Lets consider limiting Carry On (One or NONE) – faster, safer and less expensive!!!

January 12, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  39. Lawrence Johnson

also the over stuffing of the over head bins has already made a huge problem .now for your ticket price you get one bag under fifty pounds and one carry on ,but when you get on the plane the bins are already full of the bags of people who get to board first,leaving you with no where to put your bag except under the seat in front of you ,leaving you with no where to put your feet for 16 hours

January 12, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  40. Michelle Rich

going to encourage more and more folks to carry on luggage, leading to longer boarding times and increased delays for take-off, as passengers and flight attendants struggle to cram more and more in those already taxed overhead bins! I hope all those bolts are tight and the burgeoning bins are sturdy!!

January 12, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  41. Connie

Forcing people to pay online is a hidden way for the airlines to lay off real people who do real jobs that feed, clothe, and educate their real families. Anytime a company can get the public to use a self checkin or kiosk, whether at the airport or the grocery store, we are putting someone out of a job that provides that family with medical coverage and security.

January 12, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  42. Bill

...diabolicly greedy. Now I understand the real reason for all the talk about the evils of carry-on luggage and the movement toward more restrictive carry-on limits. Now they can force passengers to check bags and pay higher fees...they make more money!!

January 12, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  43. Danny

Airline fees other than government taxes and fees should be considered illegal. Delta raised these fees again because of "continued economic pressures", which will get worse because more people will choose to drive rather than fly. It wouldn't shock me if some of these airlines went out of business.

January 12, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  44. Kristen Schaffer

Delta's new baggage fees are outrageously high and unfair. With this economy it's hard enough to save money yet alone to have to pay $60 extra to go on vacationusing Delta airlines!

January 12, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  45. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

The increase in baggage fees is a clear indication that Delta has no idea about Customer Resource Management. When I fly, Delta is the last airline I check. The entire airline industry should come back under government regulation. They have no understanding of how to compete in an open market and make a profit. If allowed to continue on the current path the US will wind up with only two major airlines and both will need major government bailouts because they will be too big to fail. We are now paying for Delta's acquisition of Northwest. How can Southwest make profits and not get into all of these crazy charges? Could it be that Delta needs some enlightened management?

January 12, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  46. Suki Lee

Counterproductive! This is exactly what we DON'T need! ! ! As an ex-flight attendant I am concerned that more and more people will now be forced to increase the size and quantities of their carry-on bags....increasing security issues for all. TSA is already unable to handle their work load, and Delta's solution is to give them more work – more to worry about. I will NEVER fly Delta if these fees stick. In my opinion, this decision only puts passengers at greater risk.

January 12, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  47. Saige Parker

Delta's new baggage fee's are dumb! Why because the econamy is in rough shape right now. Plus nobdy wants to pay $60 more dollars with there regular pay just togo on vacation!

January 12, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  48. Fran

... interesting, considering that American just announced it will only allow one carryon item on flights into the US from Europe, and will waive checked baggage fees on pieces that could have been carried on before (i.e. that fit the official carryon dimensions). Oh, and all flights into the US from Canada now have a ZERO carryon limit (with a few rather bizarre exceptions).

January 12, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  49. John

...a good way to charge those passengers who use services. Those who don't use baggage services pay a simple ticket fee. Pay for what you use is not a bad way to operate. Families get FREE Baby Items – ‘nice’ but the cost of processing those Free Baby items is passed onto all passengers BTW. Also TSA processing costs are passed onto all passengers. Carry-on baggage should be one personal (purse or computer type) item period. Note: There is not enough room anyway on planes for two items per person per full flight in the overheads and under the seats so why promise to allow the impossible. Get real, carry-on baggage should be checked and those who check baggage PAY for that service. Do NOT distribute those costs to ALL passengers.

January 12, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  50. Cornelius Moore

Delta's new baggage fees are worse than bed wetting.

January 12, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  51. Josh

Won't be flying Delta anytime soon!

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  52. Donna Falco

...just part of the cost of doing business. Everything costs more.

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  53. Vera Long

Delta's new baggage fees are excessive and will make me think twice before booking a flight on Delta. I will definitely check other airlines who don't charge such excessive fees.

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  54. Brian

I think its really crazy, but I do understand that in our economy situation everyone hurts and feels the blow as well..

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  55. Ashley-Atlanta

Delta's new baggage fees are......higher than Airtran's so I am flying with them.

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  56. Jacob P.

...not unexpected, but will push me towards the competition.

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  57. Jen Johnson

...absolutely irrelevant to me and my family because we fly Southwest–who doesn't nickle and dime their passengers every chance they get.

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  58. Nathan

rediculous! Next time I'm flying Southwest!

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  59. Mark

All I have to say is....."WAAHH". In today's economy if you are in a situation where you can galavant all over the country in a plane...I have a hard time feeling bad that it's slightly more expensive to do so now. With so many people barely able to put food on the table for their families.....it seems wrong to get upset over paying to check a bag on an airline....

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  60. Chris Edwards

Delta's new baggage fees are insulting.

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  61. Mike

...are based on greed.

I would rather fly with nothing and have my clothes shipped to my destination by UPS/FedEX instead of paying the airlines twice as much to do the same thing.

I refuse to fly anymore just because of the hassle. The way to go is train!

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  62. Phiil

These fee are absurd. I'll not fly again until Delta brings back their Champagne flights.

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  63. eitan barr

expected

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  64. Dolores

...to quote Colonel Potter, "BUFFALO BAGELS!!!"

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  65. douglas mattingly

...ready whether you are or not.

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  66. Steven B

...unfortunate. Creating the largest airline in the world allows them to engage in this kind of practice with little to competitively stop them. While Delta has found a new revenue stream, a low cost carrier like Southwest is also finding something new: former Delta customers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  67. John

One more way to rip the people off, its just sad....don't fly delta Delta

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  68. Alexandra

Is a joke, if fares need to be raised then raise them, and include the price of your bag in that price.

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  69. Aric

... the reason why I will never fly Delta again. Charging anything for bags loses all of my business.

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  70. Joseph Berman

Delta's new baggage fees are bordering on criminal.

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  71. Marlinna

Having just flown over the holidays with an airline that charges a lesser$15 for the first bag, I believe that baggage fees are encouraging travellers to bring carry-on luggage that barely fits in the overhead compartments. The over-crowdedness of overhead storage compartments is only going to get worse and worse as consumers try to save some $$. Just include the baggage fee in the fare and compel travellers to check their bag. Just my two cents.

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  72. Kurt Gross

To complete the baggage fee statement, I add .....

"of no concern or interest to me as I am not in the minority of people who travel by air on a regular basis. Instead, I am a part of the majority of people who want more relevant news about things of more importance, like why our elected officials are NOT supporting the Constitution."

Kurt G in Knoxville

January 12, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  73. Jerome

Delta’s new baggage fees are a bit outrageous. Sadly though, the average American consumer doesn't realize their power and this rate hike will be accepted by enough of the country for Delta to not change it.

Multi billion dollar company taking advantage of Americans' in the mist of an economic downturn, sounds like the new corporate play book.

January 12, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  74. Priscilla Black Duncan

On December 28, after paying the $15 on-line charge for one large bag, both going and coming from Montgomery to Atlanta to Dayton, Ohio, I debarked in Atlanta and looked out the terminal window to see my suitcase and others thrown from the plane to the ground. When I picked up my bag, it was missing a wheel section - not just the wheel, but part of the suitcase as well. The suitcase is split down the side. There was no one in the Delta terminal section in Montgomery to report to. Delta's 800-number offered no help. I'm driving from now on. Delta never takes responsibility for any damage, and apparently their baggage-handlers know it..

January 12, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  75. Paul

...not a big deal, the airline industry is in bad shape and if this helps Delta earn a reasonable return then it is their business decision. If the new pricing is not acceptable to the customer base, then they will find another way to get to their destination.

January 12, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  76. Charles Jenkins

are as ridiculous as the other airlines charging for baggage. Airline regulation is needed. I support Southwest Airlines because they offer great customer service and have no baggage fees.

January 12, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  77. Natalie

The market place will take care of Delta. I wish these airlines would learn something from Southwest Airlines. By the way no bailout for Delta.

January 12, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  78. Mohamed B.

Exhorbitant, excessively high! What did we do to deserve a fee hike?! Why is everybody slumming us with new rules, tighter regulations and now higher fees? Whatever happened to "customer protection"?! Please help!

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  79. Ty Clark

Heidi,

I'm a Delta Medallion Skymiles customer and I can definitely tell you this is such a bad move from Delta it makes me sick just to think my bag is going to cost me $45 or will cost to somebody since I may be able to get away with that for being a frequent flyer but still i mean come on delta is allready expensive as it is and now those fees wow.

I guess when you are the biggest airline (as they are called now) you can get away with it huh?

The only thing i have to say to every traveler is "welcome to the digital era you get your computers you check your bags online and get the discounts to survive"

Delta better thinks about this before they start losing customers for something crazy like this.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  80. Jose Feliz

unnaceptale, thir prices always up but never down even when the fuel goes top or lower.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  81. Tim

...acceptable for deeply discounted tickets. If I'm paying a premium already for a ticket (last minute purchase, business need to fly on a particular day), this make no sense. If I have flexibility and find a $300 ticket for a roundtrip that normally costs $600, sure paying for the bags may make sense. I'd say all airlines that charge bag fees should do so based on the fare class of the ticket and not do blanket fees across everyone - yes, people would need to be aware of the fare code, but in the end this makes it equitable for all.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  82. Alice

...pure example of corporate greed running amuck, Delta must be owned by Republicans.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  83. Alexandra

It's a joke, if fares need to be raised then raise them honestly, and include the price of luggage in that price.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  84. Meg Albers

Delta should be ashamed of themselves! the baggage fees were introduced when gas prices increased, however they never came down when the gas prices came down. Airline executives are just like wall street bankers...they left capitalism behind years ago and are now greedy sociopaths!

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  85. William

Hopefully an increase towards security to protect it's customers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  86. Mad Monkey

Apparently designed to generate revenue for the Delta Airlines executive bonus plan!

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  87. Aric

... proof that Delta is going out of business. What happened to valuing your customers?

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  88. Susan

....a rip off!!! what does the price of the ticket cover. They are nickel and diming us to death and we have absolutely no recourse. The price of a ticket went up when gas went up, now that gas is lower the flights are still going up. Even when the ticket is discounted they find ways to charge in other ways. Air Tran chrge for a seat if you pre-select...... who is on the consumer side?

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  89. Monika

Important to keep people employed. Since travel is a stretch for most families in the current struggling economy, airlines still have to reach their financial goals to stay in business. With the economy in the slump that it has been over the past few years, airlines have suffered greatly. Traveling with an airline is a luxury in this economy. This is unfair for those who are still able to travel, but it keeps people employed and helps the unemployment rate and unemployment compensation for the country.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  90. Dr. Cyril Evans

Heidi, Delta's baggage fees are increditable. I believe, they are taking advantage of people having to fly, as opposed to them driving. They are aware that people are going to fly, no matter what. So they will pay, no matter what. This needs to be addressed promptly.!

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  91. John Tyler

When these fees were first imposed many passengers stopped checking in bags. What they did do is pack more into larger carry on bags and they would fill up the overhead storage. If they boarded first they took the space of those passengers that paid to check their bags in and had a small carry with no place to put them because the space above them was taken. I've also seen that when the plane hit any turbulence the over stuffed over head compartment doors would pop open and these bags would fall out. I complained to the FAA and the airline involved and never received a response. The airlines better start enforcing the rules about the size of carry on bags.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  92. Michael T

Necessary for the airline industry to survive. PERIOD!
    Unless fuel get cheaper and stays there...fees will always be added.
    Aircraft weight is the killer for aircraft performance and thus fuel expenses....yes even Southwest will add some type of fees to cover this expense.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  93. eitan barr

EXPECTED, had to pay $75 just to get dental records from the office storage, everything does it nowadays

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  94. Jason

...full of crap!!

Honestly, what do you get for airline travel these days. Their executives are over paid and their workers are underpaid. There's an abundance of wasteful spending amongst the airlines. Passengers are treated worse than the bags themselves at times. This is why I don't fly unless absolutely necessary. Eventually, the airlines will put themselves out of business.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  95. sande

next they will be charging outrageous pricesw for carry on luggage.
    I am no longer traveling Delta. It's cheaper to drive.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  96. Jon in Boston

...a ripoff! I have avoided Delta for the past 3-4 years (and I was a Silver or Gold Medallion level customer for a few years (25-50k miles per year). Their customer service has worsened over the years. Fortunately I don't fly as much as I used to, and when I do, I avoid Delta whenever possible. Here in Boston it's not that hard to bypass Delta, a lot harder to do in places like Atlanta or Cincinnati.

January 12, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  97. Dolores

...telling us it is time to nationalize the airlines.

January 12, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  98. Herman

This outrageous and blatantly disturbing, nevertheless they can careless because they know that people will pay the baggage fees no matter what. I call that taking advantage of the American people.

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  99. Chris

Although we don't like any type of price increase, this seems to be the norm for most airlines. At least they are up front about the fees, and not simply hiding it in the already inflated ticket prices. It might help to add that the bag fees are for domestic flights. Delta Medallion customers still have the bag fees waived.

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  100. Tiffani

Delta airlines new baggage fees are absolutely horrendous. I remember how much I used NWA and then starting using Delta when both airlines merged since I have frequent flyer miles. I was absolutely ecstatic.
    Ecstatic now? Definitely not! What is saving $2 online.
    I cannot believe this and I how I wish there were other airlines that meet my needs.
    Delta will definitely not be my first choice anymore when it comes to flying anywhere.

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  101. tom gerundo

reasonable for a business–and industry–that is struggling to attain profitability. Bear in mind that these fees don't apply to those of us that fly frequently and are loyal Delta customers. I, with my carry-bag, don't want to subsidize an occasional customer who feels the need to bring half the contents of his house along with him–

January 12, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  102. Nate

When the economy turns around do you think the baggage fees will disappear, or will the price of flights increase and baggage fees remain in place? Seems to me that during these harder times that airlines have gotten their customers to participate in a practice that they otherwise would have laughed at. Now customers have developed new habits and expectations...hopefully, the airline companies don't continue to take advantage of their consumers in better times.

January 12, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  103. Mike

...no surprise from an industry that can sell more seats than it has available and trap you on a plane for hours with inadequate facilities. Still, they are in business to make money and must cover their costs or they cannot survive so perhaps a necessary step...at least they are giving passengers an option to make use of the service or not, I wish I had the same option to opt out on services I don't use but end up paying for so others may benefit in other areas.

January 12, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  104. Vis Dan

Indication that contrary to some of the recent reports, Warren Buffet is still as smart an investor as before. Buy Railways as that is the way to go:-) We must also realize that Airline are facing the most challenging time. With billions of $ in investment and virtually negative returns, they will do anything and everything to get the books healthy.

This increase will have long term impact on hospitality business. We are already seeing that people are prefering national parks to resorts and such increase will further impact hospitality business. I am surprise to buy a ticket for $700 and realize that 80% of the flight is empty. So why not sell the tickets at $250 and get additional occupancy???

I feel Airline should increase their revenue through alternative medium. Use Planes, Overhead bins, Food Trays, for advertisement. Sell front and better seats for premium, sell gourmet and interesting food for premium, sell merchandise on the local flights. Basically they need to be innovative such that it doesnt impact the load but increase the volume.

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  105. Jon

...new baggage for paying passengers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  106. randy

baggage fees are just another way of ripping us off. The biggest airline just getting richer.If everyone would fly a different airline they will change.Start planning ahead and go,trains,buses,or drive yourself.

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  107. Aric

...the reason why Delta is no longer my #1 favorite airline, and why Southwest now is the new #1 in the industry.

January 12, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  108. Kristopher Williams

Riddiculous!! I expect these fees will continue to increase and new fees to be created. How long before they charge to use the on board restroom or for those currently free beverages? I think airlines have just learned they can nickel and dime us to death and because we need to travel, we'll pay. Until travelers begin to boycott airlines with high fees I'm afrain this problem will continue to get worse.

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  109. Kirk

I stopped choosing Delta when they merged with Northwest Airlines and Started charging bag fees... This has secured the lid on the coffin! My bag & I fly as a pair. Charge us a fair price, but don't add a hidden fee! Good-bye Delta....

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  110. john smith

I think the baggage fees are inappropriate. If necessary, raise the basic fares and charge for the third bag and all additional bags. Almost every passenger has luggage with them when they travel.

It makes me feel glad that I fly Southwest!

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  111. C.Cruz

...is becoming harder on the employees. As an Delta Airport Customer Service employee, I encounter most passengers at the beginning of the trip. It's hard to ensure passengers have a good experience when the first thing I have to do is charge he/she for the first bag (domestic). These bag fees put a lot of stress on the airport agents at check-in and gates. At check-in, agents are afraid to tell passenger they have to pay for their bags. To avoid a confrontation, agents allow them to go to the departure gate with the bags and then the gate agent is left with the charging, tagging and sending of bags to the bottom of the aircraft. Is the stress really worth an extra $25????

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  112. Kurt

a fair way for them to offer a service that consumers can elect to buy or not.

To complain and whine just shows one's ignorance of how the free market works. Consumers "vote" for their favorite airline with their dollars.

Rather than complain, go "vote" at the airline of your choice. That's the only real way of striking a balance between what us consumers want and what a seller can provide with our dollars.

It's a shame that our education system has failed so many by teaching us how to complain rather than how to understand the free-market process, which is THE best economic system in world history.

Let's all chill and go "vote" with our dollars. The economy can use your "votes".

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  113. Chuck

JUSTIFIED! They will use the additional revenue to hire more Red Coats, their primary mission is to fix customer problems. After all, Delta had the worst consumer complaint record in the first quarter of 2009, according to the Transportation Department. Their on time percentage has gone up so DELTA no longer stands for Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport.

January 12, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  114. Erika

a way to milk the general population for all they are worth. I believe the TSA have stepped over the line this time. They make it impossible for average joe to bring his basic human essencials and now poor Joe is forced to check a bag for $25? This abuse of the consumer is getting to be to much and many people will probably just stick to their larger carry on size and purchase essencials on the other end. That is what I have been forced to do, but I do it to save myself money. Maybe they should use this money to increase security screening of the checked bags?

January 12, 2010 at 10:40 am |
  115. George

I will just change airlines,Delta will lose...

January 12, 2010 at 10:40 am |
  116. ken

baggage fees are just another way to rip off the consumer just like the bank fees. The fees help to pay for the salaries and bonuses of greedy ceo's.

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  117. John Whalen

one of several reasons I go out of my way not to
    fly anymore; if at all possible.

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  118. Alyson

...another reason to fly SouthWest Airlines!

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  119. Carlos

Apalling! They lost my bags for 5 days when travelling over the holidays, now they say they are going to charge me as well?!

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  120. Manouchka Merrin

ridiculous. I thought that the purpose of increasing the fees initially was due to the rise in gas prices. Since, prices have gone down and fees continue to rise. I just don't think a lot of companies need to enroll their decision makers in a customer service course!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  121. kevin

How is it Southest Airlines can not charge these ridiculous fees and make a profit? I'm tired of Delta nickel and diming me. I will always try to book my travel an another carrier henceforth.

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  122. James Gillum

Just one more reason why I haven't flown in 5 years and will never fly again. If I can't drive I "ain't goin'".

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  123. Kimberly

I think baggage fee's should be included in the airfare for at least the first 2 bags. Southwest does this, on top of usually having the cheapest rates and when every other airline is slow they seem to be doing just fine.

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  124. Landon

completely outlandish. Why should passengers have to pay to make up the deficit in Delta's inability to run an effective business? Not a single European or Middle East air carrier offers a similar fee instead they offer cheaper fares and premium service. What does Delta offer? Nothing.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  125. Jenni

...the reason I won't be flying Delta. I always add on baggage fees to ticket prices to calculate the ACTUAL cost of my airfare, and I'm guessing Delta won't be the cheapest. The airlines should stop with all the idiotic fees and just jack up the fares outright.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  126. Barbara McCarley

Delta's fees are ridiculous! That is why I only fly Southwest. Other airlines could learn a lot from them. Their planes are always full or near full. If they don't go where I'm going, I will drive!

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  127. Ben Flien

Delta new baggage fees are just a reflection of the real new Delta other wise know as Northworst (Northewest)

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  128. Scott

is fine. Don't want to pay a fee, don't check any large luggage. Called paying for what you get, something the airlines haven't been doing for the past decade and why they have been losing so much money.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  129. PJ

A cost increase may have been needed to keep the airline flying. However, a mere $2 savings for passengers who go to the trouble of paying on-line is ridiculous. Other airlines offer a $5 discount for online baggage checking. Delta could have alleviated some of the complaints by following suit.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  130. Emerson Willis

another way for big business to prey on the little guy.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  131. Patrick O

... a smokescreen to hide the fact that their name stands for Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  132. rania asif

.. .. .. preposterous!

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  133. Steve

I will drive before I fly Delta

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  134. Nancy Bostwick

You can check in online and print out boarding passes... You can also check luggage at $15 online, not the $23 if not checked online.

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  135. Joe

providing more business for UPS. My last trip I shipped my luggage for less than what the airline charged. Both ways!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  136. John

...going up, the same as gas prices, groceries, utilities, etc. continue to rise. Is this surprising news? Haven't you noticed? It's about time to get used to rising costs, friends. No one is making anything any more affordable.

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  137. Amir

...a result of the demand in the increase of security.

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  138. Jessie Plemmons

...so high that it is now far cheaper to DRIVE the 1000 mile trip to see my family once a year rather than fly (which is less hassel as well!)

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  139. SHAWNA

fees are so high its cheaper to go to walmart where you are going and buy new clothes and you know woman love to shop maybe in its own way it will help the economy you know what they say its the economy stupid

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  140. Gayle T.

My last two planned air trips I determined a week ahead what I would need once I reached my destination. I then sent the bulk of my items by UPS to the destination. The rest fit easily into my carry-on. I UPS most of my belongings the night before leaving for home again.
    UPS charges? $8.75. 🙂

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  141. Ronald Scurry

Delta’s new baggage fees are…

what's caused me to select another carrier. Delta and other airlines will not get the word that consumers are fed up with being nickled and dimed if we dont vote with our wallets. Stop flying Delta and the baggage prices will disappear. I will not fly Delta and if Delta is the only carrier that can get me where I need to go, I'll simply drive.

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  142. Rohit Shah

Rip off is now BIGGER RIP OFF!. This is unregulated increase in rate is the straw that will break camel's back! Non cooperation is the appropriate answer to such monolithic oligopoly ! These corporate dinosaurs will take this message to their economic grave because it is going to be the ultimate verdict by the "real BOSS", the consumer!

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  143. valentine

Increditable. There should consider upgrading their services before increasing fees. There have one of the worse services compared to others especially for international flights.

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  144. Frank McGinley

Southwest Airlines is financially sound and does not charge to check bags. They also have no trip change or cancellation fees. While some airlines are driving customers away by making air travel less attractive, it would seem that Southwest is doing the opposite.

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  145. Randy

I think we are all missing the main points, one being terror actions have preceeded this baggage increase. If we are tougher on those committing these acts we could decrease the liklihood of future attacks. Our own soldiers in the United States could be put to death for such actions as those on flight 253. Why not quickly sentence this man with a military tribunal and hopefully the outcome would be death. I believe that death could be a good deterrant.

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  146. Rohan Fernandes

legal extortion! That's adding at least $23 to your airfare (each way!), since you're not being allowed to chech-in your shampoos, shower gels, toothpaste and other toileteries anyway.

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  147. Steve

A good way to need a bail out that I will refuse to pay.

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  148. Andrew in Manhattan

Delta's baggage fees are a reality, that people just need to accept. The airlines are not making money on baggage fees.

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  149. sandra walters

not equitable. Each passenger should be given a weight allowance which includes their body weight + baggage. Anything over this weight allowance will be surcharged. This allows airlines to charge for weight which increases fuel usage and distributes the costs equitably across all passengers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  150. Nick Redmon

It's amazing to me that no matter what price the fuel gets to, even when it declines, the baggage charges never go away. Southwest Airlines seems to be able to afford it, so maybe Delta and the others should look around. It could be the salaries that are being paid need to be scrutinized, especially the flight attendants.

January 12, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  151. John Ashton

please read my previous post, Delta's new bag charge has nothing to do with TSA or airport fees, it is a corporate decision to raise quick capital by bilking customers for the proposed JAL buyout offer. $25 a bag for thousands of bags a day,,,adds up to millions very quickly

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  152. David

I just traveled round trip from Montana and paid $70 extra each way for 3 checked bags!! Plus, we were delayed for over an hour! we all know what DELTA stands for...Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport. I will never fly them again!

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  153. David

Why are the baggage fees going up? What cost is that compensating for? Is it fuel charges? Or other airline costs going up?

January 12, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  154. Rick

someone should figure out how many gallons of fuel a certain plane holds,how many pasengers,how many bags etc. find out how much the airlines are making or losing and report on it!

January 12, 2010 at 10:58 am |
  155. Charles

The increased baggage fees are great since the fees allow passengers to pay for exactly what they use. I don't believe that my ticket price should subsidize those fliers who over-pack. Perhaps the fees will encourage people to pack more conservatively and carry their bag on the aircraft.

January 12, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  156. John

dangerous. We're getting way past the FAA's "average" weights that are used to calculate the weight and balance for aircraft. People keep packing more and more into their carry-on bags and I would be willing to bet the airlines aren't leaving the cargo area empty.

January 12, 2010 at 11:04 am |
  157. Roby Hutchinson

not that smart. In the airline industry the real money is in keeping as many plaines in the pipeline (air) as possible, this means generating the fasted plane turn around possible. By charging for baggage they increase the amount of carry ons, which increases the load time for passengers, which decreases the turnaround time. This slowing of the supply chain actually cost the airlines more, then the revenue they receive charging for baggage. Charging for baggage has become common practice because airlines feel it would be revenue lost if they do not, and in benchmarking other airlines, feel it is necessary. It is a big "group think" mentality that ultimately is false. The only company that has figured this out, and does not charge for baggage, is Southwest Airlines.

January 12, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  158. Carlos

ridiculous...I guess they are passing the cost of merging with Northwest to the consumer. Ever since 9/11 and now the recession, airlines find any excuse to raise fees or come up with new charges.

Unfortunately for me, Delta/NWA is the only airline that goes to the town I grew up at in Mississippi and I have to use their services.

What new charges will they come up with next?....Charging me for shaking hands with an airline employee or for saying "hello" to them?

I would encourage the other airlines not to follow suit. If anything, you will get a lot more customers if you didn't charge (or at least not raise) baggage fees.

It is time for regulation of the airline industry. Prices are out of control and services have gone down.

What does the consumer get for his trouble?...an empty wallet.

January 12, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  159. Jeanie

They wouldn't have to increase fees if they would just enforce the rule on the size allowed for your carry-on. What's the point in having that contraption in the waiting area that says your carry-on must fit in it to be allowed as your carry-on?

January 12, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  160. Missy House

As a retireee w/ limited income, I will drive from GA to IL to see my grandchildren – I get 35+ mpg and can take my dog and luggage w/o an add's charge. It's much cheaper to spend 2 days driving each way. A comfortable drive and many pet-friendly hotels along the way. What would cost me hundreds to fly for maybe a couple hours; then take a commuter bus for $60- $70, as well as paying to board my dog, I can have a leisurely drive for less than $80 dollars (including the hotel) each way. Sorry Delta, you lose big time; many of us Seniors are healthy and have time to discover new alternatives to your ridiculous increase in charges w/ less than acceptable service. No arriving hours before plane departure, waiting in long "cattle" lines, being pushed and never knowing if you will actually NOT spend the night in the airport. Driving has its rewards in many respects.

January 12, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  161. R. Covington

Delta's baggage fees are ridiculous! Reasonable, and consistant fees should be charged for all seats on a plane. Currently, prices can go up and down by the hour. A standard fare should include reasonable luggage, and a meal, or snack (depending on length of flight) put it all back in one package. This would help reduce the anger that most of the flying public experience today. Personally, I hate to fly and will drive almost anywhere to avoid it, just because of the stress and anxiety of dealing with the airlines and all problems associated with air travel.

January 12, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  162. rob

I traveled to Phoenix recently I noticed there was a baggage fee to check my bags its just going to start more people to drive their car instead.

There's a way around most everything so instead of checking my bag up front just tell the agent your going to gate check instead or carry on which is always an option. I cant believe they can get away with checking a bag on a plane. Its like the airline is charging for the energy and labor to get it out the plane. I think its robbery myself!!!!!

January 12, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  163. Scott

If you think its robbery (or unfair, illegal etc) shop around. Simpy make your choice with your money to go to another carrier that is cheaper or free (hiya Southwest!) Its called free market. They can charge whatever they want, its your choice to pay them.

January 12, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  164. Robert

Hopefully they go bankrupt along with all the rest of the greedy corperations and business owners! It is because of them and the outsourcing why theres no more jobs all in the name of making their pockets fatter than they already are! Yes this is being done at the expense of fellow Americans! Does anyone really think that the rest of the world is benefitting from our losses no just the governments of places like Mexico and China that are benefitting! Now China has the ability to compete military wise and now we are screwed! Obama has done nothing but promote this kind of activity! Also Democrates need to stop the hypocracy with the issue of race! Harry Reid should be fired just like Trent Lott was and Obama should be ashamed for sleeping with the enemy on this, all in the name of political gain!

January 12, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  165. Colin Dean

...are what makes me glad I fly Southwest everywhere I go, even if I have to drive a little bit to get to my actual destination. I've never, ever been dissatisfied with Southwest (LUV).

January 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  166. Chris Wright

... good for Southwest! I travel almost weekly on business and I avoid the "major airlines" like the plague. Free bags, choose my own seat, friendly staff, best on-time record – that's for me!!!

January 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  167. Rachel

Delta’s new baggage fees are extremely bad marketing. Why not just keep the fee hidden within the price of the airline ticket. Airlilne ticket prices can vary by $30 to $100 on any given day anyway so why not keep the customers happy and keep it within the cost of the ticket and make life easier on travelers. If travelers feel like they are getting better services included in the price of their ticket it would be much better marketing for Delta or any airline company!

January 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  168. Key

Delta is already one of the most expensive airlines, farewise, now this?! It's a bad marketing plan that's definetely result in a loss of customers

January 12, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  169. Jonathan

Horrible. Why doesn't congress stop this madness, they have their hands in everything else, but when it hurts the consumer. It was originally for "high fuel costs" well costs have dropped, so take the fees away!! Flying SOUTHWEST from now on.

January 12, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  170. guest

I guess that don't want to pay the extra price they will were extra clothes and not check any baggage. will these people be profiled as terrorist since they don't have baggage.

January 12, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  171. Dirigentbna

Skyway robbery!

January 12, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
  172. Brian

. . . just another reason not to fly.

January 13, 2010 at 12:24 am |
  173. Scott N

This price increase is outrages. I can not stand Delta Airlines all of their flights are way too expensive. I went home from Atlanta Georgia to Columbus Ohio and Delta going to the same destnation was almost $200 more than Airtran. The same thing happen trying to go from Atlanta to Newark. I am disabled and have to use a wheelchair. Knowing Delta they will probably start charging wheelchair boarding and disabled assistance fees. I use and electric wheelchair and Delta broke my wheelchair 3 different times. I always fly Airtran now and their service has been great. I will never fly Delta again and Everyone needs to stop supporting Delta. They need to go Bankrupt again and not be bailed out. Delta is horriible.

January 13, 2010 at 1:43 am |
  174. Noel

Air travel is really the pits now.

TSA experience is just awful, and will no doubt get worse. Aside from the high ticket prices, CRAMMED flights, NO or TERRIBLE food, reduced restrooms (notice they took those out of the rear)...you get whacked with BAGGAGE fees that keep going UP UP UP !

But they know we have no alternative, unless we stop traveling – which isn't going to happen.

January 13, 2010 at 1:44 am |
  175. Rose

I am going to Aruba on USAir and they charge $20.00 for 1st bag and $30.00 for 2nd bag if you check in online 24 hours prior. If you checkin at the airport it is $25.00 for the 1st and $35.00 for the second. You are allowed one carry-on and one personal item.

January 13, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  176. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow do Hernandez (WWII)

I consider the increase of fees a gross abuse of the consumer. I hope tha the government will capitalize on this fees. How much longer the federal government is going to stand for this? Yes, I guess that we are so busy trying to head off on other issues like rising healthcare costs, housing costs and fuel costs, the economy that we don't have time to be concerned about the fact that Airlines are taking advantage of consumers. I do not think that this is part of the so call ‘Free Enterprise.’ I am thankful I do not have to flight. I guess that sorry Delta is right.

January 13, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  177. Randy

people can complain all they want if your going to fly your going to buy how about some cheese with that whine

January 13, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  178. Danny

Even with all these fees, all these airlines are STILL complaining that they're losing money! It's no wonder since people are choosing to fly on Jetblue and Southwest or drive to where they're going.

January 13, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  179. Dodie

I have a 14 hour flight for Shanghai soon. I always fly China Eastern or ANA airlines. There is NO luggage cost as long as you are below 20 kilos

January 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  180. Dave

It is up to the consumer to tell these companies like Delta we had enough. Stop using them and go to more baggage friend cost airlines. Believe me, a company like Delta will get the hint very quickly and change their policy.

January 15, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  181. Basak Aydin

Does Delta executives think by charging extra for everything they are going to make profit? Due to these fees even loyal customers like me will switch to other airlines and they will suffer more. They need to come up with some creative ideas to boost their bottom line.

January 15, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  182. Ken B.

Maybe airlines should charge for carry-ons and let checked bags fly free. It would certainly help security getting on the plane.

January 15, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  183. Art L.

The solution for travellers is to fly a foreign carrier.

January 15, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  184. Marcia

I really like to fly Delta but my April trip will be the last time I will be flying with them unless they reduce their baggage fee. The cost of a drive to an airport that carries an airline that does not charge baggage fees is now less than the fee and the tickets are cheaper too. I booked before I realized the fees had gone up. I know I am not a business traveler but I do fly 4 to 5 times a year. I even emailed and got a standard reply about how this was needed for Delta to stay competitive. Well, they are losing me and I regret that this Grandma to be will no longer be flying with them.

January 19, 2010 at 10:58 pm |