Today on CNN Newsroom

January 16th, 2010

U.S. family works to get mother's body out of Haiti

Join TJ Holmes and Betty Nguyen weekend mornings in the CNN Newsroom, beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. WalkGingerly

I understand the pain of the family. I think it would better serve their mother to look to what can be done for Haiti and not for them specifically.

January 16, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

It's sad but unfortunate for this family but there are many other family's in the same situation all they can do is hope that the body is placed to where it can be recoverd at a later time and bought home but all the family's must understand some loved ones cannot be recoverd and this is the importance of a memorial to be built on the sites of mass graves for people to have a place to go to for there loved ones .

January 16, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  3. niki

never did this, i hope it is correct. My comment is since all/most of all roads in the disaster area of the earthquake are blocked and aid cannot get through it seems to me that helicopters can be used to drop water and survivor food to these people NOW!! I don't think they are caring right now if the road is blocked! Use choppers and drop water to these people NOW. They made it through an earthquake now they are going to die with no food or water!! Film crews can show air footage of the devistation..do we really need to set up a task force or commitee to chopper in water??

January 16, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  4. gramstoy

What I would like to know is why Dr. Gupta is down there as a reporter and not what he is trained for.

January 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
  5. Jill

I challenge morticians to organize their own relief effort. For the sake of those they leave behind, it is just as important to take care of the dead as it is the living. Someone MUST take charge of the dead, catalog any information about them possible..take photos, names, or even personal belongings which might help identify them later. We need to get mortician volunteers & supplies. Time is of the essence here because of the decompisition and disease that can be caused by these bodies. CNN DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS STORY. PLEASE keep reporting on the dead...be a voice for those who can no longer speak for themselves. I know everyone wants to just literally toss them aside and take care of the living. But the families of the dead are survivors of this disaster too and deserve disaster relief in the form of getting their loved ones back. Use a cargo plane coming back to the U.S. Perhaps cremation after photo I.D. is another option.

January 16, 2010 at 1:30 pm |
  6. Tom

Please put this challenge out to the Bankers.

Here is a great opportunity for the bank heads who are expecting to receive these huge bonuses to show a little humility by donating a sizeable percent of the bonus they receive to Haiti. I know that I along with many others would have a different opinion of these individuals if they would share a portion of their bonus where it is truly needed. Show us you do have a heart and step up to the plate and give back the same way the country came to your rescue when you were in trouble.

January 16, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  7. G. Miller

I am so amazed to hear about so many non-profit organizations and how people can be so cruel to use a tragedy as such to scam people with great heart.

I am warning everyone out there to be cautious about those non-profits and make sure that their money are directing to the right place not enriching those heartless people.

I know some great organizations: Yele(Wyclef), Partners in Health (Dr. Paul Farmer). Those are people who had invested their time, their ressources and their own money before this tragedy to help Haiti.

Furthermore; I have been watching CNN and I don't understand why people are translating in french where most peole in Haiti speak only creole. Even though, Haitians are smart enough to undersatand what the reporters are saying but I am urging the reporters to have translators speak creole so they can better understand the mindset and the conditions of the Haitian people.

G. Miller. Pawtucket, RI

January 16, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  8. Iran Maisonet, Sr.

Guantanamo Cuba is about 100 miles from Haiti. Cuba has been known for their fantastic Doctors. Why has Cuba not stepped up to help, fly victims needing surgery to Cuba and save some lives!

Iran Maisonet, sr.
    Jacksonville, Florida

January 16, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  9. Mary Dallas-Smith

JUST saw a piece with Anderson Cooper! He's been unbelievable. He was (is?) standing in front of the Green Gate (closed) and behind it is the destroyed palace. One sees nothing but green green green lawn – EMPTY! Why oh Why can't you put tent-cities on that nice, huge, clean expanse of what appears to be Green Lawn?????? I know it may be green concrete – but I doubt it..........It seems odd to me that that portion of this war-torn city isn't being utilized to it's utmost. It's like Ms Cohen saying that Israeli says they (the sick & wounded) must leave the 'warehouse'. Then the next reporter challenged her comments and said "WHY????" I'm with him!!!!! Begin using that HUGE EXPANSE in front of the palace – behind the Green Gates. PLEASE. My prayers are with you all! Mary 🙂

January 16, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  10. Ingrid

Thanks CNN as always for doing such a great job covering the earthquake in Haiti.

January 16, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

Mr. Iran Maisonet,
    That is the idea of this tool. Voice our opinions when dignitaries cannot come up with ideas. Your comment is to the point. How come Guantanamo Cuba has not stepped in to transport victims who need surgeries? Guantanamo is about 100 miles from Haiti. Even Cuban doctors are well known. How come Cuba has not stepped up to help? Haitians need immediate help. We need to save lives. I agree with you Sir.

Florida

January 17, 2010 at 4:40 am |
  12. Scott Stodden

I encourage everyone who's in charge to allow this family to bring there mother's body home for a proper burial and to the family my heart, prayers and condolences go out to you all I know this is hard, tragic and devastating but Have Faith and remain strong, its what your mother would want for you all.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

January 17, 2010 at 6:15 am |
  13. Eddinne

Thats my family there, its really hard, i lost my grand aunt oh my god!! i just cant stand that situation but ppl please help us to find her body come back to U>S>A.

January 17, 2010 at 12:37 pm |