Today on CNN Newsroom

January 17th, 2010

Haiti and Social Media

Social media expert James Andrews discusses the vital role of the Internet in the immediate aftermath of Haiti's killer earthquake.

Filed under: Clips from CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. Lynn

Why is there no mention in your news about Israel being one of the first medical and rescue teams on site in Haiti, that their field medical operations are one of the only fully functioning ones (a baby born their was name "Israel" by a grateful mother) and they continue to rescue people, as well.

I would expect this from Fox, not from CNN.

January 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  2. George Couttolenc

I agree that the social network has had a more focused activity regarding the awareness of a global community, regardless of political and religious views... Especially through Facebook and Tweeter... Now we all live toghether... COOL

January 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  3. Yvonne

Please add a spot on the Looking Love Ones site to include the Haitian names for neighborhood in and around Port Au Prince. People in Carrefour, Carrefour Filles and Gessier areas of Haiti need food and water and medicine right now. Please send people to the outlining areas to check onthe people who need help there. WE know people are alive but are in need of help!!

January 17, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  4. Lee in FL

I'm not good at getting comments through, but Don Lemon needs to be told that Elizabeth Cohen has options for the patients at the hospital from which she is reporting. The USS Vinson has four under-utilized operating rooms and a number of hospital beds. It is parked just offshore and will come pick patients up by helicopter, according to a report I read. Can someone get that word passed along?

January 17, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  5. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez(WWII)

The social media undoubtedly has being a great tool on the natural disaster in Haiti. The social media has cut off the big companies and influences from society for activism giving a chance to the people.

January 17, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  6. carol Carol Jefferson

I want to know about the quake in Argintena I thought it would be on the news But its not Please mention it

January 18, 2010 at 1:00 am |
  7. James Burns

To Russel Honore- HAITI, IMPORTANT SUGGESTION
    Please consider using Fire & Rescue Air Bags placed under slabs/rubble that are pinning suvivors. These air bags will fit 5/8" to 1" and come in various sizes and will lift different amounts of weights.
    I know you are well aware of them. Seems like they would be very
    useful in this situation.

Resceptfully
    James Burns

January 18, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  8. RJ King

The internet helped our family find my brother in Haiti who has lived and worked in the Port-Au-Prince area for 5 years in an IT capacity, he has had internet service throughout and we have been able to talk/communicate with him. He has decided to stay and help, versus coming home right now. However, he had called AT&T to get his US cell phone working and they told him to purchase the international package and he'd get a new chip and he'd be able to use his cell phone anywhere. Unlike T-Mobile who has opened up their services for anyone to be able to help with communications both in and out of Haiti. I also tried to get AT&T to waive the package and yes our family was willing to pay for cell phone service but wanted my brother to be able to call from anywhere he was. They will not budge, it's hard to believe that such a large corporation could not throw in a bit to help both countries and possibly help people find their loves ones as well. I know just those few hours with out knowing were terrible, in fact not having communication with him over this past weekend was terrible as well. Communication is going to make all the difference in the world with helping this poor country to recover.

January 18, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  9. Shirley

Thank you for trying to get people to understand the main problem right now it getting the supplies allready provided/donated/paid for to the people who need it, I am getting annoyed with people begging the president to act like a father and help these people, begging us the public to donate more money, it does not matter how much we donate if we can not get it to them with all the brains and equipment at our disposal can someone not figure out workable plan to do this, it is like when a car beaks down in the middle of the intersection and everyone toots at them to get out of the way, why all the tooting in the world will not move the care, and all the money on the world is no good if it does not reach them

January 18, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  10. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

I guess that news and commentaries depend from the region they come but technologies do not work the same way in Puerto Rico.

January 18, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  11. Fran G

I would like to thank CNN for staying on top of this tragedy in my Country Haiti 24/7. I am proud to call myself a Haitian/American and very privileged to be here in America. I feel useless for not being able to contribute there right now manually, however I have been able to help in other ways, one of them is adding MINUTES TO HAITIAN CELL PHONE CARDS and given to charity as well as praying. I was lucky to have recovered my family, though they have lost everything (SO WHAT)
    I personally want to thank Dr. Sanjay Gupta who's doing a fantastic job there all around. Thank you to the world for everything. We're all hopeful things will be better in Haiti afterwards.

God Bless America

January 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  12. Mrs. Eileen G. Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

The sad thing is that the Free Enterprise is always going to find a way to capitalize on the less privilege. The common sense under these circumstances abandons any common fight for a common quest which is to help the people from Haiti. In a broken country getting the supplies which have already being provided, donated and paid for to the people who need them will challenge all the step of the way by greed. We have seen how the system was challenge on a simple thing as getting health care. I believe that people are begging the president to act because no one wants to see others suffering. Tonight we will see public figures begging the public to donate more money. The reality is that it does not matter how much we donate the system is corrupted by the so call “Free Enterprise.” The country lacks of structure and we cannot get it to them even with all the brains and equipment at our disposal. The issue is that no one can figure out a workable plan to make it happen. The truth is that all the money in the world does not reach Haiti. I imagine that the banks are closed. Just like Miami with Hurricane Andrew. We could drive up north to get to banks.

January 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  13. Tom

I see what the US is doing. What is the rest of the world doing? That is not being discussed, Why?

January 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  14. Devika Rapp

Hello i will like to thank Dr Gupta for all his good work for his kindess for his love for people and most off all i will like to THANK HIM just for being HIM A GOOD PERSON

January 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  15. Michael Laycox

I watched in amazemnt as Anderson Cooper rescued an injured child from a group of looters in Haiti. Not only did he rescue the child from immediate danger, he carried the child to safety.. Your reporters on the ground in Haiti are great and Anderson Cooper shoiuld be commended
    Mike
    Dayton Ohio

January 19, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  16. Douglas

Do you believe that earthquakes can be started by humans?

January 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  17. deborah pomeranc

The very small coverage of israels monumental rescue efforts is disheartening,first on sight,best field hospital hundreds of drs and nurses ,pulling one of last living survivors out on DAY 10 and most important as everyone packs up to leave this week Israel as a nation of. Great compassion sets an example to the world by deciding to stay another MONTH at least.First one in and last to leave. Now that's a story to be told

January 25, 2010 at 9:17 am |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 18,856 other followers