Today on CNN Newsroom

January 18th, 2010

Haiti's Child Slaves

In our first hour today, Ali spoke with a representative of the Jean Cadet Restavek Foundation - a group that helps Haitian children forced into hard labor against their will. If you'd like more information or to donate, you can check out their website.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Haiti Quake • Impact Your World
  1. John Tyler

It's sad that our country has known about this for many years and did nothing to stop it. Maybe too many rich Americans that lived there with mansions on the mountain tops exploited these children had something to do with it. I would hope that this crisis will bring an end to it ASAP.

January 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  2. Ginger Foster

Is there any way to get a video clip of Ali speaking with a representative of the Jean Cadet Restavek Foundation this morning? This foundation has done amazing work on behalf of the children in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  3. Charlie Erickson

I didn't see the interview spot on Ali's shift, but that is so sick (and sickening). Children in poverty have such a hard time to begin with. Forced labor is just intolerable and inexcusable.

Growing up in Brooklyn, I worked in a grocery store when I was 7, in a factory when I was 12, and a filling station when I was 14, but I did it all voluntarily, to help support my family, and to give me some pocket change. I was not forced into it.

These kids are going to need all the help they can get, when (hopefully) they are rescued. God bless their little selves.

I'm going to that website to donate.

Charlie.

January 19, 2010 at 1:34 am |
  4. susanne

i live in texas and was wondering how our fam could help with the orphan children! we would love to take one child in with us.But we dont know how to go about it.

January 19, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  5. Adejumo Oyeleye (the JAH!)

I thank you all for your kontributions and efforts to Help in Haiti, you will all be Blessed!
    I will like you all (the Presidents in Afrika) to komm together and kontribute to the Help in Haiti because, apart from being Humanbeings, this are the Children of and from Afrika, I must konfess to you all now, I'm so disappointed that you did not see what is more important to be done – Football or the Humanbeings Life!
    This would have shown to the whole World that you are what I klaim you all to be if you should have counciled the Afrikan Kup of Nation for this Year and koncentrate on how to Help our people in Haiti! but still, I will like you to know who I am because, all the money that you might have made from this Afrikan Kup-of-Nation, I will like you to donate them to Haiti to show Our oneness World-wide because;
    I am the JAH! My Lovely LISA and Myself, WE Love you all Our Children!!!

January 20, 2010 at 2:01 am |
  6. Edward W

I would like to see more reporting on the religious aspect of the Haiti tragedy. Ask the World people to pray for Haiti. The massive earthquake may have been the result of human intervention / weapon testing. But you will not believe that , You rather think God was responsible.

January 20, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  7. richard

There's 100's of millions of dollars donated/pledged for Haiti.

Does anyone ever keep track or do some audit or due diligence after the crisis has passed to account how the money was spent?

Whenever there is a major crisis [9/11, Tsunami, Katrina, etc.] untold amounts of money are donated by individuals, companies & governments, but I have the nagging thought that a good deal of it is not spent as intended.

With that kind of money at stake, much of it is probably 'lost' due to:
    corruption, greed, mismanagement, price gouging, and outright theft.
    Does anyone ever keep any track of this?

And a separate, but related question:
    does anyone know if all money donated to charities actually reach the victims?
    As an example, will the Red Cross actually spend all the millions being donate via cell phone donations for Haiti? That s/b easy enough to track.

Regards,
    Richard

January 21, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  8. Jean

It is sad that this young man was murdered. At present, there is a lot of lawlessness in Haiti. We have noted that some people who are pushing, shoving and fighting to get supplies . In their desperation and impatience, they fear that they will not get any food. This is not an unusual occurrence as in other countries under the circumstances which Haitians find themselves in after the earthquake. I can only hope that matters improve and it will in time.
    It goes to show that there should be some sort of organization and authority to keep the crowd of people in order.
    I saw the bag of rice. It appears to be a lot of rice. The bags of rice should not be so big. They should probably be half the size. This is sufficient for feeding one or two people and also a family for sometime. Many more people could each get a bag of rice if the size was smaller.

January 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
  9. Allan

Has anyone else noticed that not one single Muslim Nation has offered any help?

January 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  10. william ryals

The only way that enemployment can be brought under control is by putting a declining cap on imports aimed at countries that have built their economies by using our demand. This will forcer companies to restore manufacturing in this country if they want to sell here. The fact that we import far more than we export means that we do not have to fear retaliation because those countries simply don't import that much from us compared to how much they export to us.

January 23, 2010 at 1:33 pm |