Today on CNN Newsroom

January 27th, 2010

A$k the Dolans: Your Money Questions Answered

This Saturday, the first couple of personal finance, Ken and Daria Dolan, will join Fredricka Whitfield to answer your money questions.

Here are some of the topics they'll be discussing.

- Stock market: what's going on and is it time to invest?

- What should you do if you own a recalled Toyota?

- What are the 5 deadly sins of retirement planning?

If you have personal finance questions that you would like the Dolans to answer, let us know. We will read some of them on the air this Saturday at 2pm ET.

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. John Tyler Pennsylvania

I retired last year in June. I may need to take money out of an IRA or my 401K this year and this is pre-tax money. Between my pension and my wife's salary we will gross approximately $105,000 how much should be set aside for income tax when making these withdrawals?

January 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  2. Wojciech Moskal

the story goes that all of investing wall street created such a mess that no one actually knows what to do or how to fix it. We have to remember that those are the people who make money by not working, manipulating, lying, cheating. They glorifies their importance to a society, when in reality we do not need them. The best way would be to start new, and keep it simple. The government stepped in and tried to help so called to big to fail companies, but soon every one found out what they are really all about( by the actions they took). Giving them a second chance was a right think to do, but it was also a test of character for those companies. As far as financing new investments I would simply open a new bank, backed up by the fed, ran by military vets( they all are in need of good jobs), at least temporarily, while to big to fail *failed* followed with some prison time. It's all about finding and placing people with integrity in the position of power, and stopping promotion of * who wants to be a biggest scumbag *.

January 29, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  3. Misskenya

I recently bought a house in Nashville and according to quizzle, its worth $7000.00 less than it was when I bought it in November. According to the appraiser, the home was valued at what it was listed for. Can I trust quizzle? I'm very sad to have gotten such a raw deal in the best buyers market. I love you Fredricka and the Dolans rock!

January 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
  4. Dinah

I am 55 and have been unemployed for 15 months. First time I have ever been not working since I was a teenager. Not much savings left.
    Lost most of retrement Wha should i do?

January 30, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
  5. Dinah

I am 55. Have now bee unemployed for 15 months. Little savings, lost most of retirement. unemployment in my area 13.6%. What should someone in my position do?

January 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  6. anne

We keep hearing that mortgages led to the current recession and continue to be at risk to the economy. Last March Obama started the home affordable modification program aimed at 3-4 million homeowner avoid foreclosure. Still we are hearing that an extremely low percentage of these homeowners of been able to obtain a permanent modification under this program and that it is flawed with all type of errors, including questioning of the banks following specified guidelines. Critics are stating that the program is actually causing more harm than good. Why isn't the treasury and the current administration taking more steps to make sure this program is properly applied? Isn't this potentially going to undermine our economic recovery if more isn't being done to protect homes in danger of foreclosure?

January 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  7. Goustuf

Re.: Dolans

During the 1990's a new standard for toilets was issued – toilets produced after the standard was issued only use 1.6 gallons per flush not the 6-7 gallons they mentioned on the show. Using the Dolan's bottle trick on these toilets may require multiple flushes.

Also the instant hot water device that replaces a hot water tank cost around $500 installed! Best used for new or major renovations.

January 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
  8. Jay

The Dolans made mention of placing a bottle of water in your toilet tank to conserve water. DON'T DO THIS! The toilet is designed to properly flush with a pre determined amount of water. Changing the volumn of water in the tank will produce a partial flush requiring a second flush or lead to a blockeage. I have been a plumber for 30 years. Trust me on this one! Replace your 3 gallon flush toilet with a new 1.6 gallon flush but don't alter the water level in the tank.

January 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  9. Larry Bonetti

I have invested in C.D's for years but since President Obama bailed out the banks my interest rate return has fallen from 4%-5% to 1%-2%.because they do not need private money anyone since the government has given them all they need, this is devastating and unacceptable. Is there anywhere I can place my money to receive a resonable rate of return? I love the F.D.I.C. insurance because it lets me sleep well at night.

Retire & Concerned

January 30, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  10. Mark

So the stimulus only helped Union jobs? Many of my Union brothers and I are still out of work. What should be looked into are the construction companies that are winning these bids to do work that is paid with stimulus money. many of these nonunion construction companies are still using illegal labor in order to increase their profit margins. Since these jobs are using federal money, then these projects should be enforced by E-verify, but that is not happening. Yes, jobs are being created, but they are not American jobs.

January 30, 2010 at 2:58 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 20,395 other followers