Today on CNN Newsroom

January 27th, 2010

Survival of the Fittest: Yummy Spoonfuls

One small businesswoman created her own form of stimulus. Cameroon immigrant Agatha Achindu, the owner of an organic baby food company "Yummy Spoonfuls" joined Tony Harris to talk about her successful enterprise.

1. Saundra Miller

I would like the President to speak on, and act on the plight of millions of Americans including myself who are, and have been fighting a desperate battle to keep, and stay in our HOMES. Nothing is said on our behalves. I'm tired of hearing about what "first time" buyers can do to get in a home. This "American Dream" is slipping out of our lives, and out of our possession!

January 27, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  2. Lordiel

Americans should wake up and smell the coffee!!! President Obama is cleaning up what we gave the last president over 7 yrs. to destroy. Yes, we are having hard times, but let's be fair. He is not a miracle worker, but he is our PRESIDENT and we should support him and give him at least half of what we gave the last president. So, the finger that you are pointing at him with ... curve it in and start doing your part.

January 27, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  3. Richard

cmon people
    Do you really expect the Prez. to be able to pull our collective fat out of the fire the Bush admin. left us bubbling in during those eight god forsaken years.
    Cut the guy a little slack, it's bad enough he has to deal with a bunch of contentious, moronic republicans. Getting flack from the public just
    makes matters worse, fixing the economy will take a while, miracles
    take a bit longer.
    Rich

January 27, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  4. Michelle

America is a something for nothing country. The reality is that taxes need to be raised, but no one wants to face the truth. What if every American gave a quarter each month how much would that help our economy? We are a selfish nation. Consider how this country was built.

January 27, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  5. Bill Gonzalez

"Sen. Mitch McConnellPresident Obama vowed to tackle the economic crisis head on, yet over the past year, Americans have seen the situation deteriorate even further"
    I am sick and tiried of everyone blaming President Obama for our ecomomic
    problem and failing to see that the President only sets the goals and both parties in Congress have to come up with the plans. But what do they do
    they sit on their ass and throw stones at each other hoping that this will help their elections. My advise is get anew congress that will work for us and not themself.

January 27, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  6. Mark A Sterling

AMERICA one man cannot keep this Great Nation going strong. Whether it's jobs, homes or security. It Must be a combined effort by all. Thank you Mr President! Thank you! Be encouraged and continue to work hard, as I'm sure you will, at keeping this Great United States growing.

January 27, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  7. rodneyp1

I feel a lot of people are off target ob blaming the President for the creation of the jobs when they should be blaming each state. The federal government is giving most of the money to the states. The States are the ones who are supposed to be putting the money into their projects to create the jobs. This is a typical problem of middle management (States) not doing their jobs, not the President. What have the States done with our money?

January 27, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  8. Sly Edwards, Michigan

Their is "Nothing" the One Term President: Barack Hussein Obama could really say to me that would want me to stay any longer in my own country. I am retired and moving to the Philippines to live out the rest of my life with my beautiful filipino wife. Good luck America.

January 27, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  9. LB

You said you wanted to give a little perspective on the stimulus spending. I think you meant bias, not perspective. First, obviously job losses were not going to stay at a record pace indefinitely. Did the losses slow down because of the stimulus? There are plenty of arguments against that. Second, this administration was warned that the stimulus was not doing enough to help small businesses. Now Obama seems to understand that small business will lead job growth. Third, other countries also passed stimulus and other programs to help their economy. Just the fact that we also passed one does not mean we did it right. Did the other countries do more to rebuild their economy? Did they help more with home mortgages? Did they focus on public projects that do not sustain the recovery? The question still remains, ‘Did this stimulus bill have too much wasted spending?’ If it was not helping the economy recover on an ongoing basis, it had no business being in a stimulus bill.

Richard and Lordiel, isn’t it about time Obama owned this economy?

January 27, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  10. Alexander Mackenzie

I would need to hear that the President, AND congress were going to reverse any assistance to the investors who years ago decided it was time to move their monies to the poorest economies in the world to take advantage of the low low wages they could pay foreign laborers. By that I mean I need to hear the President, will put in place programs that begin the restoration of our manufacturing base. Its loss has caused all our work and money problems we are suffering.

January 27, 2010 at 11:44 am |
  11. Rebecca DeWitt

Hi Tony,
    I feel like I know you because I make a point to watch you every day. You are a breath of fresh air in the world of "let's make everyone nervous so they'll watch the news" journalism.
    I specifically watch you because you report the news in depth, but with a softer approach that draws me to CNN during the daytime. Kyra's a wonderful transition in the 9-11 am slot, so now I've switched all of my daytime newswatching straight through Rick Sanchez's show. The whole Newsroom is a great group and I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your approach to the news.
    I'm always quick to tell anchors and commentators when I feel they've strayed too far from good journalism. So I thought I should write about the best of CNN too
    I hope you are there forever!
    Have a good day, Becky DeWitt

January 27, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  12. Jack

What happen to the mortage companies helping with people refinancing homes. I have asked SAXTON, my mortage company to help me and refinace and they will not. They (SAXON) did lower the interest rate by 2 percent for 5 years but that is not enough. Is there anything the average person can do, short of filing for bankruptcy.

January 27, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  13. Dave Picot

I fear that America has become ungovernable:

The desire for simple answers to complex problems,
    requiring Instant solutions and ignoring the reaity of process,
    The condeming eye of 24/7 news coverage,
    When "great american" is defined as one who has elevated the practice of "ain't it awful" to an art form,

I fear that Ameria has become ungovernable.

January 27, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  14. Mark Cassidy

Instead of talking about Obama’s statistics of jobs saved or created we should be talking about,
    Jobs lost or put in Jeopardy by the government regulating and taxing business to death.
    What’s the ratio of jobs saved to jobs put in jeopardy.
    Because of administrative cost more jobs will be lost than created.
    But what really gets me is the audacity of politicians that brag that they saved or created some job without mentioning that they taxed someone else to death to do so.

January 27, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  15. jean blumer

Yesterday (Jan 26) saw an interview with Consumer Reports who reported the best way to stop a car if the accelerator sticks is to put the car in NEUTRAL and apply the brakes.

I hope this info can be widely distribued

January 27, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  16. Alexander Mackenzie

We need to again, think up what, than how, and than make, here in the USA, products for our use. That will again increase the tax base needed for the social welfare programs that are now needed the most, and at the same time underfunded because store clerks and fast food workers pay much lower taxes than manufacturing workers once did.

January 27, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  17. catherine bradley

On President Obama's State of the Union Address, I would like to know if there will be a stimulus payment to the seniors and veterans, if so when. It is bad enough that our SS raises were taken away. I am a retired worker of the government and my raise in my annuity was taken away as well.

January 27, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  18. TOMMIE TERRELL

The president could have helped the economy and if he had not given the bank a year before the so call credit card reform were to take place, giving the banks time to triple interest rate on credit cards on people who paid their bill making it impossible for them to get credit or purchase anything.

January 27, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  19. Sue Ann

Tony,

If Pres Obama didn't take care of the banks he couldn't possibly improve anything for the middle class. It's too bad this country couldn't have gotten a glimpse of what would have happened if he hadn't saved the banks. This country would be in such a state of chaos and depression that job losses wouldn't even make the news. Suicide rates would however make the news.

Republicans should be ashamed of themselves for trying to break Obama with any concern for the issues. It's historical.

January 27, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  20. John Trompeter

I would like to see President Obama specifically say that help is on the way for homeowners, the unemployed, and the uninsured. This would be in the form of tax credits and stimulus checks, as well as, new trade laws and heavy taxes on those Corps who ship jobs over seas.

January 27, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  21. Paul , Manchester VT

It is time for this President to start realizing that government can only create government jobs that cost money. Small business people (like me and millions of other Americans) create jobs and wealth for people. Until President Obama is forced to sign the front of a paycheck he will not understand that putting money in at the top of a Company does not create the customers that will sustain that company. Community organizers only know how to spend other people's money!

January 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  22. Larry

What I want to hear is what He will do to get Jobs, Health Care & Help Those losing Their Homes!!!

January 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  23. Sue Ann

Tony,

Don't you think Obama might have a better approval rating had he been able to pass anything thru Congress.

Republicans have admitted to wanting him to FAIL. If you are a republican you should be so proud!

January 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  24. Chris

How can jobs be created, when no one is addressing the real reason for job loss, forecloures etc in fhe first place Outsourcing!!! There are those of us in the IT business who were outsourced four years ago who could see it coming. It's simple if you dont have a job you cant pay your house note or buy anything. Thye want to blame whats happening on people who bought homes they couldn't afford, if anyone looked deeper, they would find out that foreclosures increased as outsourcing increased. Did you know that the certification of American Doctors is currently being outsourced?

January 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  25. Mary W

I turned 50 yesterday, have a Master's degree which I now need to hide on my resume. Jobs are scarce in New Jersey. I never thought it would take me over a year to land another job. (Was laid off after Lehman Brothers went bankrupt.) Never saw it coming and desperately need to get back to work. Am hoping President Obama provides employers with some clear cut programs to help the unemployed land jobs. I know there is no magic bullet, and I am trying very hard to remain disciplined and stay positive.

January 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  26. Alexander Mackenzie

The old saying "give a man a fish, he can eat for a day, teach him how to fish, he can eat for the rest of his life". Throwing money at the rich and poor may help in the short run, but when you stop, the problem remains. Give the people a good job, and they will be set for the rest of their lives. We NEED our economic backbone back, factories, factories, factories, manufacturing, manufacturing manufacturing....!!!

January 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  27. Frank

President Obama is doing an excellent job as my President. He inhereted a very difficult agenda and for us to expect for an immediate solution is unrealistic. Myself and my relatives have experienced many difficulties over our life time and we have learned that we have to take responsibility for ourselves and not just blame someone else for problems. We have become a society of immediate gratitude, finger pointing, and selfishness. It is also time to hold our congressman accountable, this politicians are too deep in with big money outfits and are willing to sacrifice us the taxpayers/middle class for their own gain and who voted this cats in we did. How many congressman are without health insurance? Not a one. President Obama needs our help and support to make the changes he has been wanting to do.

January 27, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  28. tony G

here's an idea why not take all the bail out money how ever many billons and give every person on un-employment for over a year 1 million$ with the requirement that they buy an american made car and house in forclosure. and if they want to start a business thay have to go thru . s.b.a. watch the car market go up the housing market gets better and new small business's to help with new jobs. if whoever looses ther money thats there problem . bonuses of over 100billion is crazy. main street bailed them out but main street is still broke and unemployed take some of ther money that we gave them and lets let main street build our economy.tahts where it needs to be fixed.

January 27, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  29. MEREDETH WOODARD

A spending freeze! NOW? After increasing government agency budgets by up to 50%? NOW you want to "freeze" that budget? AFTER the special deals for the long line of donors, cronies, politicians and lobbyists, in the name of healthcare for the little people? AFTER signing the enormous (pork barrel) stimulus plan? It only stimulated enormous, expensive government and you plan more. AFTER turning our economy upside down for phony climate claims? The freeze only applys to a small portion of the government's spending; it's a stunt and we know it. Stop spending my money! Stop wasting my money! Stop printing more money. Stop borrowing money! The less you govern, the better off we are.

January 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  30. Bill Gonzalez

Wake up America President Obama can not cure all our problems in a day. If our Congressman would stop pointing the finger and start working to help us maybe and just maybe things might start getting better. If the
    Republicans would stop worring about party loyality and start helping Us then maybe we can see something done. Also I would like to know if there will be a stimulus payment to the seniors and veterans. It's getting harder to make without a increase in our S.S

January 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  31. Marcia Williamson

What I want to hear from the president will never happen.
    " We will bring bring back Big manufacturing jobs to the the U.S.A. and put hundreds and thousands of jobs back to America and here's how we will do it."
    " Unfortunately we owe China till the end of time but we will find another way of paying off our debt other than buying the products we used to make here."
    " From this point on, we will no longer import ( appliances or whatever ) from China and the U.S. companies that make the products there, will be able to get government financing in their own country. This will force our own companies to make American, support tax paying citizens by the hundred of thousands rather than just promoting small businesses that can't pay health insurance or make a difference in the Big picture of jobs.
    I thought the health care plan was to go to people who have no insurance or have such low wages that health care is impossible....like small business that President is supporting to make a turn around in this country.

Marcia Williamson
    Federal Way, WA

January 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  32. Kenton

I would like tor the President to get out his used 2×4, soaked in used motor oil for a month, and go to work explaining things to the Republicans in Congress and the Supreme Court.

January 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  33. MEREDETH WOODARD

I appreciate your manner of presenting the news, you seem reasonable and ready to listen – not just promoting your personal opinions like so called journalists are doing these days. You are the only one I watch on CNN. Thanks

January 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  34. Rebecca Wark

When I look around my house and everything is made in another country other than the US or Canada, well that pretty much tells me where the jobs are, not here, and the president does not have the magic to make them happen, ask companies like Nike and hundreds of others that get the work done else where.

January 27, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  35. Kenton

The President explained in his acceptance speech that he would bring the jobs back to the US by giving tax cuts to industries that took them overseas. What happened to this idea?

January 27, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  36. Richard Phipps

Tony,
    When are people going to wake up and realize big business, the banks, the energy companies are all right wing entities. For these companies to do the right thing, to help the entire country, T-Baggers and all, they would be giving up the power and shooting themselves in the head.

They want Obama out and if possible his politics destroyed. In short the Republicans, those who so vividly claim they're God's Party, will not do the right thing and help the country because if they do, they know they will lose power for ever. They make me sick!!

Richard

January 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  37. Aya

Obama need to think to a good strategie than good speach .

January 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  38. Walter S. Hrynkiw

I would like to see President Obama tell me that he is going to have real health reform. That includes portability and tort reform. Presently , there is some reform but the insurance companies will get richer. Costs will go up. I want my bills to go down not up.

January 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  39. Bill Garrison

President Obama told us it would take time to turn our economy around. It took over 200 years to get where we were a year ago. We are seeing improvements and evidence that more jobs are on the way. I ask everyone, what action has the greatest potential for good? Is it to obstruct the President’s efforts with negative and often inaccurate misinformation and criticism, OR, to support him and offer our help. He is here for three more years. Why not help him achieve his goals instead of fighting him. I for example, have a strategy that would put well over 37 Billion dollars in the hands of taxpayers over the next year, and every year thereafter. I will be trying to get this plan to him for implementation after the State of the Union Address. What are you willing to do?

January 27, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  40. Carmen

can you find no success stories where the stimulus program creates jobs? I have a hard time believing that it is a total failure, as it comes across from CNN reporters.
    As for the Microsoft bridge., you come to Redmond and see for yourself how frustrating it is to get from 148th Ave to 154th Ave and how busy 148th Ave is. Depending on where you come from, you have to drive some miles, cross the highway, then drive back on the other road to get where you need to get. 148th is congested while 154th is fine. This will redistribute traffic for more than Microsft employees. As a matter of fact, there is very little need for MSFT employees to cross from one side to another.

Anyway. I think news bad news and criticism. Not to mention impartial news...

Keep up the good work! 🙂
    Carmen

January 27, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  41. Don

I'm a small business owner I belived Pres. Obama is the Guy to bring america into the 21th century I like his style of politics, America is stuck on stupid, I dont hold him responsisble for this big mess.
    We can't keep sweeping the dirt under the rugs, thats what got us into the mess we're in now. This guy pull the rug back and has expose the ugly truth and most of you can't handle it.
    This country has become very thin skin!!!! A bunch of cry babies'
    There are "NO" people in this country who do not want and even playing field.
    Its very simple destory the floor i.e. The Middle Class & Poor, The top has to fall. "the guys that threw the rocks now hide their hands"

Peace,
    Don

January 27, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
  42. Alexander Mackenzie

As the government assisted the sending of manufacturing jobs overseas with both inaction and action, ignoring the growing underemployment that the loss of good paying jobs created, the FED just printed paper which gave the illusion of national wealth while the real creator of wealth was allowed to fly away.
    The products, cars, homes, food, medical care, and the like did not become worth more than in say 1960, the increase in paper money made it worth less in real terms. The world and Americans have caught on, all the consumer spending for the items manufactured in foreign factories, thus monies the foreign countries receive, is really trash paper, and we really are playing and paying in monopoly game money.

January 27, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
  43. Vic Vega

We are now suffering the consequenses of the last twenty years of complacency, where nothing has been done to prepare us for the conditions we are smack in the middle of.
    We are in an era of reinventing ourselves, the jobs lost in this country will never come back which leaves us with the need to reconnect with the innovation, creativaty our entrepanuership that as Americans we are very capable of.
    We must stop the greed motivated practice of outsourceing our jobs.
    It is time we realize that because of this greed we are becoming a third world nation, and weather you believe it or not ..we need all the help we can get. What the American people have finally gotten out of all this is a well deserved kick in the ass, now we know how much excess we could have done without. If we don't learn now we never will.

January 27, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  44. Sweet tooth

Tony, you cracked me up a minute ago with that lady from Auburn Bakery. You do have a sweet tooth don't ya? You make the news entertaining.

January 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
  45. joseph s kranitz sr

Hi Tony !Here is My comment on saving the U.S. money problem: In 6 months close ALL overseas military bases. Frees the goveremant workors wages for 2 years. No bail-out to AIG, GM, or any Banks! Give money to any compony that brings back jobs to the U.S.When people areworking, the economy will re-bound fast. We need jobs not Health=care reform.

January 27, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  46. tony G

Hey 862billion dollars for WHAT???? I can't find a job as well as 172million other americans really give them 1million each tahts cheaper than862 billion then watch the economy grow car sales and housing goes up as well as small business that means more jobs. WOW!! How about that for a stimulus package I bet that would work real well.

January 27, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  47. Don

President Obama has got to get more fired up about health care, jobs and the economy. The other party fires rhetorical shots strictly following party line, and their only purpose is forcing out of the way those against their corporate/lobbyist policies. Nobody is going to get out of the way of these issues we must face together.

January 27, 2010 at 12:43 pm |
  48. Bill Garrison

Have we forgotten that the republican's are why we have double digit unemployment. Now they are doing everything they can to derail the most pro-active President we've ever had. Why are Americans listening to their rhetoric which does nothing positive for Americans. All of the research on the Stimulus Plan shows that jobs are being created, saved, and more on the way in the near future. Why not promote support for something that is working instead of playing on people's fears?

January 27, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  49. Robert

First, I want to state that any business person/small or large have to review and make changes to adopt to competition or changes in the economy. i was a business person and made those changes without help from the government..
    The state of the union is going to be the same old liberal promises, throwing money at the problem. As for the Stimulus package, the only professions helped were the Police Officers and Schools. And the continuing giving money to school will not improve learning. Therefore, the stimulus did not helo the middle class. Moreover, This President should abandon Health Care and focus on the economy. To try and pass Healtlh Care Reform after all the back room deals made by this President will further erode the trust and contribute to further skepticsm.

January 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
  50. joseph s kranitz sr

Hi Tony! Her is the simple way to save 100 billion dollar :In 6 months close ALL overseas military bases ! Freeze the government work force wages for 2 years,No more bail-out! Give money to any company that will bring jobs to the U.S. We need jobs not Health-care reform.

January 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  51. Vickie

President Obama has had more to 'save' and rebuild than any modern day President. HIs job can be compared to remodeling a house. It the foundation of the house, as the foundation of our society, is not built well, repaired and additional support added, then any work on the other 'floors' or levels of society will not be supported to hold the 'work and life' of the activity in the house or our American life. It takes a strong frame to withstand the weather outside of the house or even in the frame of the house. If anything is missing or not done well, the structure begins to adjust as Obama is trying to do. Unfortunately, too much was not done, and the individuals in our society, the nails, did not take individual responsibility in doing what is 'right' for the whole of the house. I believe it is the individuals who do their part make the strength of the house. Individual responsibility is shown in how the Stimulus money was spent. Many groups did not plan wisely or thoughtfully what was best for their 'state' or floor. Yet, we blame the government if we do not agree with the plan. Let us learn to that all each person makes a difference in the total function of the house or American Life. If we continue to blame the Government, not the actual people responsible for their part in this structure, we will not grow stronger. We not not want a larger government, then let us do our part so we do not need people watching over us. Similar to the structure of a family. The strength of the family depends on the effort and care of each member. We need to continue to teach and learn about 'self responsibility' and doing what is best for the structure of our 'American Life.' I would not want anyone else trying to solve our 'structure' problems than President Obama. Apparently, we need to continue to learn the infrastructure of what we have effects all levels of life...the middle class is the one that feels the pulls and pushes being in the middle. Again, the strong foundation will lessen the dynamics of the middle level. Blessings, Vickie

January 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  52. Tim

Why is it you only Talk about the Obama Stimulus?, Did the Bush administration get his Stimulus money from a diff group of people?
    Even though im just a Middle class American im pretty sure both parties got the stimulus money from the same place.
    for the sake of your News agency please post the TOTAL amount the American People were FORCED to pay in stimulus.
    We the People wont forget just becuase you choose not to post it as a TOTAL.

January 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  53. Richard Merritt

Retired people will spend money to help the economy but, 1. the government has spent trillions but no increase for social security recipients. 2. The money we have saved in banks now earns about 1/2 of 1 percent from the very banks we bailed out. We used to average about 5%, so if you had saved $100,000 you would get $5000 or $416.66 per month to save or spend, now we get $400 or $33.33 per month for the same amount of savings. Most seniors also pay taxes on the SS benefits and interest on savings so we need to increase senior benefits and get our savings interest back to about 5% and we will once again have $ to spend and help our economy.

January 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  54. Wisdom

Obama needs to surround himself with more staff over 60.
    Obama is only listening to his peers who don't have wisdom. One suggestion that I have that would move the economy without increasing the federal deficit is to reinstate the write-offs on credit card finances. So many Americans are struggling with paying off their credit card debt, it would help middle class and upper class Americans to write off their credit card finances when they file thieir taxes.

Wisdom

January 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  55. Vic Vega

To Sly Edwards......Let me remind you that you are fortunate to have retired in the Good US of A if you haved lived in the Phillipines you would be not going anywhere and you would not be able to afford a wife.

January 27, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  56. Jackie from Manteca,Ca

President Obama should stop extending unemployment and create skill centers, which inturn would create jobs. There are people receiving unemployment benefits, for at lease two years or longer without locating a job. Their are people who work at companies for example; Walmartthat earn or is paid less than those who receive unemployment . Skill Centes would provide them with a trade since he is promoting environrmental jobs.
    The current Srimilus Package has not benefited the middle class .It IS APPARANTE that he doesn't know where midddle class starts and ends. Are the Middle Class doomed to carry the burden, by increased taxation? for entitlements.

January 27, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  57. judyikard

Tony,

I consider myself an Independent even though the last election I was a registered Republican. I follow both CNN and Fox because it is very obvious there is a bias on CNN and I can not solely rely on CNN to give me the news without a very a certain bias. Case in point, today on your broadcast and interview with White House Dep. Press Secretary Bill Burton discussing tonight's President Obama's State of the Union and the future of the health bill you stated that Pres. Obama should "bust as many heads as possible to get the health bill done." I was appalled by this statement because it is exactly this attitude that you are taking and this administration is taking where polls did not matter, phone calls against the health bill did not matter, and town hall meetings did not matter, all have made the American people feel like no one was listening!!!!! For you to make your statement wishing that Pres. Obama would just bust a few heads is appalling. I believe that we still have a bill of rights and a constitution. Judy in California

January 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  58. ANN DeBOE

Dear Tony, I have tried everyone else, and the results seem to be the same. I am disabled and so is my husband. SO, we live on $1397.00 a month. I am counted on the welfare rolls, but my billing # will not be released (activated) until I "spend-down", give them back, $500.00 of our income ! We both worked our whole lives, my husband was a draftsman/control designer for 25 yrs and before that a factory worker and student. I worked before we married and had kids, and at small stores at night when we had kids. When they started school I worked at their school for 6 years for free (volunteered), was on the school board, and helped out where needed. Now, can you please tell me why, being a citizen, tax-payer since the age of 18 (53 now), and I have to BEG for help, was in a coma 4yrs ago due to pneumonia,and need a lot of medical looking after, and I have to give back $500.00 of our 1 social security (ha-ha) check in order to be at the poverty level to receive medicaid help so I can see a Doctor ! If I came here illegally, I would have it all, and why ? If I had chosen to be a welfare lifer, i would have it all. No, we did it right, and now we are counted as having medicaid as our insurance, hubby on medicare (They told me I would be on it too after two years, but alas, again, no).I can see none of the doctors that I need to see, and my medical equipment is orange(tubing), my oxygen concentrator is OLD, and my Bi-Pap machine is not powerful enough for me (runs full-tilt boogy just to keep-up). The company I got them from won"t even service them or replace things that should be routinely replaced(hoses, water container, face mask, ect. . HELP ME! Tell the people the lies on ALL of this medical B.S. is just that ! Who is getting all this $$$$$$ ! Not what I was promised when I was living. Merely existing in OHIO !Husband is Terminally ill, and I'm runnin' a close second. No "Well-Care" here. Say Hi to all at CNN-Love you all, Ann

January 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
  59. colleen

not be watching tonight lied to once not again nothing changed in DC just the names I am 68 indep and voted first time in 08 for you guessed it WANT MY VOTE BACK

January 27, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  60. Mark Cassidy

the Jobs lost or put in Jeopardy by government regulation and taxing business to death.
    QUESTION?? What’s the ratio of jobs saved to jobs put in jeopardy?????????
    Because of government administrative cost, more jobs will be lost than created.
    BUT what really gets me is the audacity of politicians that brag that they saved or created some job without mentioning that they taxed someone else to death to do so.

January 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  61. Mark Cassidy

What I would do is create incentives for energy production.
    And I’m not talking about windmills and solar panels.
    I’m talking about nuclear and fossil fuel production.
    That would bring down the cost of living and make us more competitive and create more jobs.
    If and when the economy doses recover our energy cost will go through the roof.
    Do something about the cost of fuel NOW.

January 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  62. Judy Kuykendall

Tony,
    The report on the Southwestern Conservation Corp is terrific. That one story could be shown more than once OR in a special along with other stories. If peope saw more of these stories, I believe it would make a difference in the general public. We simply do not know these stories. Even if they can be found on the internet, most people barely have time to catch news such as that. Or if retired, as I am, we are even businer than when working. Thanks again and PLEASE do consider a special program. There has been so much difficult news, including Haiti, people need an inspiration, esp. as it deal with our money. Also there was one mention of Shelters in a box. That needs to be shown again. Thanks.

January 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm |