Today on CNN Newsroom

January 30th, 2010

Are you affected by the Toyota recall?

Toyota's president apologized Friday for the gas pedal problems that have forced the recall of millions of vehicles in the U.S. and Europe, Japanese media reported.

Are you affected by the Toyota recall? And if so, how are you dealing with it? Leave your comments here. We may use some of them between 6am and 11am ET.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Marjorie H. Guess

I was the owner of a 2010 Totyota Corolla, I swore by Toyota. I could not get any answers on the fix, repair. I drive my car to and from two jobs and 99% highway driving, I can't have the gas pedal stick while I am on the interstate I would be hit no doubt by the many 18 wheelers than run up and down 91 in Connecticut. I bailed out and bought a new car yesterday from Nissan, I will be more cautious now with my loyalty. I was a die hard Toyota fan and sang their praises but not anymore,I will think long and hard about another Toyota purchase.

I think Toyota should return my down payment for my Corolla and anyone else who buys a new car because of this recall.

Margie In CT

January 30, 2010 at 6:52 am |
  2. Gary Fox 770 909 9500

Toyota has not been able to duplicate the problem. It is Not the gas pedal! I can duplicate the problem by connecting my travel trailor to my 2007 Tundra, and turning on the cruise control. The vehicle will take off on it's own!

January 30, 2010 at 7:10 am |
  3. Kari Cozad

I am a Toyota owner and I have owned my recalled Camry for 2 years. It has not affected me driving. I have owned both Chevy and Ford and I will never go back to owning either nor a Chrysler product. I know the dependability of the Toyota and the fact that they hold their value. I know of many other owners who I have asked their opinions of their Toyota and I get the same opinion as mine. My immediate family are Proud Toyota owners and will continue to own Toyotas.

January 30, 2010 at 7:15 am |
  4. Rick

My biggest concern is that most of the credible reports describe the incident in a way that cannot be explained by a stuck pedal. "I tapped the brake and the car took off", "I felt the gas pedal move away from my foot as the car accelerated", "I did not press down on the gas pedal". Since the cars computer has exclusive control over the throttle position at all times no matter what the driver does, this sounds more like a problem in the electronics.

January 30, 2010 at 7:15 am |
  5. Carol

Maybe it's the floor mats. Everyone in my family drives a Corola and we stick by them. They are reliable and safe. The only trouble I have experienced in one of our four Toyotas is that the floor mat creeps over to the gas pedal and if not pushed back, the pedal can get stuck.

January 30, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  6. Mike m

I hope this shows the American public that the Japanese automakers do not "walk on water". In many ways they are are no better, and many times, niot as good as American vehicles overall. It is time for the American public to take a hard look at domestic vehicles – you will be very pleasantly surprised. Any by the way, a problem like the gas pedal issue would hahve been fixed within hours not days by the domestics.

January 30, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  7. Mary S

Because the report said "some" Camry's, I called my dealer to find out why. Some of the Camry's made in US used two different suppliers, Denso and CTS. They told me with a quick visit to the dealer and visual inspection they could tell me which brand mine was. CTS is the one recalled

Luckily, it is the Denso brand not affected by the recall. I will still get a letter from Toyota with instructions and verification.

January 30, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  8. Cliff Schneider

I have heard numerous comments on Toyoto and the problem with gas pedals. I would like CNN to advise people on what actions to take if they are driving and the gas pedal sticks.

Do they shut off the ignition switch or put the car in neutral? Please advise they motoring public of what action to prevent a accident is best.

This may save lives.

Retired State Patrol Officer
    Cliff S.

January 30, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  9. James (JB)

I complained to my dealership in Jenkintown, Pa when I had only 8,000 miles on my brand new 2007Toyota Camry XLE in 2007 which is supposed to be their flagship Camry model. My complaint indicated an increase of acceleration or possibly transmission concerns in my opinion. After they checked my vehicle I was advised that it was working according to factory specifications. The dealership was in total denial.

I am sure like other Toyota owners, this was my last Toyota purchase eve! Toyota in my opinion is far from properly serving their existing customers. Their motto apparently is 'No harm no Foul'. Or, we will deal with your problem it if you crash, or are injured or killed. Totally irresponsible and unacceptable customer safe service, don't you think?

January 30, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  10. Bob Gay

I bought a Lexus in 2007 and was told of the problem back then. In fact they would not let me order floor mats with my new car. They said i would be notified when a fix was available. I am bringing my Lexus in Monday to have the necessary repairs done. I find it extrodinary that the problem is only now comming to light.

January 30, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  11. Bob Gay

PS never had a problem with it.

January 30, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  12. Lynn Lord

The interview with the black four star general gave me a big lump in my throat ..... What a wonderful message and what a strong, positive role model he is for young people .... black and white. Taking advantage of opportunities in this great land!

January 30, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  13. Don

I`m Smart, I have Owned Ford Products for Years, Have never had to have anything Major Fixed from a Recall and When I did have an issue it was immediately fixed free of cost, Even had Free Coffee and Pastries there.
    No Wonder Ford is doing so Good.

January 30, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  14. michael bolin

you announced what to do if your vehicle is on the recall list . want to know course of action if your vehicle is not on the list, and toyota refuses to admitt that my model is having problems . in august 2006 i purchased a new seinna van, in septemper 2006 i returned the van to the dealership complaining about accelleration and breaking problems the service manager told me that toyota has never produced a defective vehicle and the problem must be me. i took the van to another dealership and complained about the accelleration and breaking problem and got the same answer.

February 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  15. Oscar V

Having been a Chevrolet Dealer for 20 years, I can tell you that Chevrolet and/or GM never took responsibility for their product recalls until they were forced to do so. They practiced denial even after they lost in court and were forced to recall. I know they still practice a form of "silent recall" where the customer comes to the dealer with a problem and is suprised to find that the factory has a recall on that problem. No one isallowed to tell the customer, but if the customer asks and it is a covered problem, it will be fixed by the factory. I found that to be very dishonest, but it was the policy then and probably is their policy today.

GM has never shut a plant because of their concern for their customers safety! Their policy was deny, lie or do anything to avoid facing the problem.

I applaud Toyota for facing their problem and being up front with their solution. The news media critizing Toyota for their handling of this recall have forgotten the track record of the Domestic car makers!

By the way I only own and drive Toyotas.

February 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  16. John

I have a 2009 corolla built in Japan so the issue concerning a sticking gas pedal is not an issue. Although, my vehicle is affected by the floor mat recall.

To be honest, I'm not surprised about the recent major recalls. I've been complaining about my corolla's quality for the last 2 years. I've had issues with questionable quality concerning the emissions system which consists of sulphur dioxide entering the cabin of the car in certain driving conditions..

Toyota never has equated with quality since day one of ownership of my Corolla. My experience has been completly the oppsosite.

Also, a recall was issued concerning the brake assist system on all 2009 and 10's Corollas in the northen states..

Also, a recall

February 3, 2010 at 12:29 am |
  17. Dian Calvo

Is there anyone who can direct me to where i can get help with my
    Toyota problem? Who do write to? I have a 2005 Corolla that I bought
    from an independant seller. From the beginning my speedometer
    did not work. Before I could afford to take it to a repairshop a month or
    so later the speedometer started racing-not the gas pedal the speedometer! When the speedometer came on the car would not go!
    I had to pull over and restart the car. I thought it was a cruise control
    problem, I now believer it was electrical. I have since returned the
    car and it has been at mechanics for 7 months because no one can
    figure out the problem! The speedometer would race excessively up to 100 mph and it messed up the engine after pushing it to keep it
    going.

February 3, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  18. Gabriel H

My family has at least 3 Toyota cars affected by this recall. I have driven Toyota for years and I trust my car today as much as I do before this gas pedal thing come to light. I don't see why not. Naturally I would trust my experience more than other people's. A car is a mechanical device, hence there's a chance to fail for whatever reason it is. GM and Ford are no exception. I'm sure a sticking gas petal wouldn't help, but it could be any random part in Ford and GM too. I've heard enough of those stories. One thing for sure though, Toyota will last longer than a GM or Ford.

Actually, I don't mind the recall so much. I'll have free, new carpet, and a car wash. Maybe free oil change. And in my Lexus case, I know I'll enjoy Starbucks Coffee along with danish and bottled water, before I take the brand new loaner out for a spint. When I get back, I'll pick up a couple of yogurts along with my car. Not bad, right?

February 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  19. Zhi Zhang

Toyota definitly has quality problem

I have three Toyota vehicle, the condensers on both highlander and
    Sequoia were broken. The whole air conditioning system had to be
    replaced soon after the warranty period and costed more than five
    thousand dollards on the Sequoia, the part of the air conditioning
    syste on highlander also had to be replaced. There were a crack at
    the bottom of that highlander and some parts need to be replaced. I do not think I want to buy any of Toyota unless there is some changes regarding their quality

Zhi Zhang

February 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  20. Cliff Nickens

Aloha,
    Along with Toyota my 2004 Honda, 39,000 miles has a gas pedal problem. We took our car in for repairs Friday and they said that they had a gas pedal / corrosion problem with new car three years out. They also said the bill will be $500.00 for parts and 200.00 labor. The Honda Warranty will not cover it!
    They also deal with the same CTS supplier as Toyota.
    Do we have a valid complaint?

February 8, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  21. J.L.D.M

I bought a Matrix 2009 and I have to pay $34,000 in 6 years (due to high interest because first time buyer – real price $16,000), I think that they have to re-do the contracts at least to no pay to much interest. My life and the life of my kids have been in risk since I bought this car without knowledge. It is hard to react when you are in a highway at 70 mile per hour. How they can say just put neutro and go to a safe place. come on!!! you will think that you will die and you will be frozen in front a high speed situation, with your feet in the break....screaming.... At least they have to be consider with costumer....this is mental trauma now....I'm afraid to go to a highway...without think in this recalls.....I was near to get a huge crash with my kids, my wife and my mother....because the floor mat ,after I clean my car in a wash car place....they leaved the mat afeter vacum and I didn't check....couple blocks later almost die....And I have to still continue paying high interest in something that can ruin my life for ever....what about credit....I don't care about credit if the life of my kids and my life.....are in risk for this unsafe car....I prefer to loose my credit and not loose the life. The USA goverment or any consumer deparment has to do something about this....the dealer they don't really care....they just want their money....and that's it.....some one has to do something else...Now this expensive car will be devaluated, I will not make a deal when I will go to buy another car....no one will give a fear price for this car now...so USA consumers consider that our life is in high risk now.....we need to do something else...no just fix the cars and it is all....we have to take mesures to not to be fraud on this.....because when I bought this car no one said to me that this car will be not safe....and that it was a lie – fraud....Thank you

February 9, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  22. Paul Atwood

I have owned 12 Toyota products since 1979 and have never had the first problem with any of them. I currently own four Toyotas with my son driving one back and forth to college. My faith in the product has not wavered one bit. I do not beleive Toyota is trying to hide anything besides if all the analyst have the supposed elecronics issue then why can't they prove their findings. People unfortunately die in car crashes everyday and now if they are driving a Toyota it is automatically because of the product. Look at Toyotas track record over the years that is proof enough for me.

February 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
  23. roseb

I have recently moved and my mail is being forwarded. however, what if this recall notice gets lost in the mail and i don't receive it? I am concerned about this since my local dealer tells me i have to wait for my notice. In the meantime, I have to drive myself and my child in a car that may or may not have issues with the accelarator???? I don't think toyota is doing enough to assure people's safety. I think I should be able to call my local dealer and be able to schedule an appointment to get my car fixed without the recall notice!!!! God forbid something should happen while I am driving this car, but Toyota is looking for many lawsuits if something does. Not very smart of their company to handle it this way.

February 14, 2010 at 7:28 pm |