Today on CNN Newsroom

January 30th, 2010

Coming up on this CNN Saturday Morning...

President Obama answered tough questions from House Republicans meeting in Baltimore Friday. CNN Political Editor Mark Preston joins us to talk about that.

During his State of the Union speech this week, President Obama called out the U.S. Supreme court for its recent decision on campaign finance. We'll have reaction.

We'll have the latest on the Toyota recall, including what the car company's president has to say.

In the midst of the housing crisis, people are falling prey to real estate scams. We'll talk with finance expert and author Clyde Anderson.

A California school district that pulled a dictionary from classrooms because it defined "oral sex" will allow the reference book back on the shelves. We'll have more on that story with CNN Education contributor Steve Perry.

And from Mississippi to Virginia – the southeastern U.S. is battling wintry weather. Our Reynolds Wolf will be on top of that story all morning long.

Join Betty Nguyen and TJ Holmes on this CNN Saturday Morning, beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Pauly

The President answered tough questions from House Republicans? Hardly. He refuted their talking points. They once again used the cameras to try to score political points rather than open a serious dialogue w/ the President.
    They claim to have all the answers but the only answer they have put forward is to say no to everything. The President had a caucus w/ them before he even met w/ his own party shortly after the election. They chose to say no before they even met w/ the President.
    Now they claim to be victims. They chose not to be involved in serious debates concerning the problems this country faces. They wasted the House's time much like they wasted this great opportunity. The same old talking points that have no factual basis are not ideas!!!
    There was an eerie silence when the President announced the new GDP numbers. Could it have been any more obvious that they are hoping the President fails, taking the economy & country down w/ him? Country first was just a campaign slogan. Since the Presidential elections, the GOP has only been interested in one thing, regaining power. This was never more obvious than during this Q&A session. They weren't lectured by the President, they were schooled by him!!!

January 30, 2010 at 6:22 am |
  2. Brian Price

As for the NFL attempting to put their stamp on the "Who Dat?" phrase, I think it's an obvious attempt at cashing in on the Saints success.

I'm also pretty sure that the fleur-de-lis isn't the Saints/NFL's own design, as it's usage goes back to the earliest human civilizations and is currently used on many things including the Corvette logo, dozens of college athletic teams, the World Scouts, and even the badge of the Israeli Intelligence Corps.

All this is is a money grab by the NFL.

January 30, 2010 at 6:47 am |
  3. Jack Phelps

Concerning the "Who-Dat" situation; In 1957 I was stationed in Sweetwater, Texas while in the Air Force, and "Who-Dat" was a common saying at that time. So, tell me, how could the NFL "own" that saying?

January 30, 2010 at 6:49 am |
  4. David Wilburn, USA, Ironton, OH

There is documented evidence of the use of the phrase 'Who Dat' on an old episode of Abbot & Costello. A brother was walking around in a haunted house and hearing something said, "Who dat", he then heard "Who Dat" to which he replied "Who Dat say Who Dat when I say Who Dat".

January 30, 2010 at 7:16 am |
  5. Thomas K.

What President Obama did, attacking the Supreme Court during a State of the Union Address, is absolutely appalling!

Mr. Obama's contempt for the Court and the Constitution is a disgrace.

Mr. Obama lied when he said that foreign corporations are now free to contribute to political campaigns. Mr. Obama is the same person who bypassed campaign financing so as to allow George Soros and his multinational dollars to contribute to his campaign. The President is the one that owes an apology to the Court and the American People!

Tom,
    Huntersville, NC

January 30, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  6. Gary R. Raleigh,NC

A five thousand dollar credit for small businesses for hirng people,hmmm.Let's see,you hire somebody for at the least min. wage,and that's around twelve grand,in order to get a five thousand dollar credit. Do the math,you going in the hole seven grand,you're hustling backwards.

January 30, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  7. Herman Cain

I was trying out a car it was not a toyota–the gas pedal stuck–I simply turned off the ignition switch–did not come close to having an accident– IF your gas pedal sticks simply turn off the ignition–be prepared to have to push harder on your brake pedal and the sterring could be harder to turn–the sterring wheel should NOT lock as long as your vehicle is in gear–avoid applying the emergency brake real hard because this could put you into a 180-360 degree spin or slide out–DO NOT PANIC

January 30, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  8. noel davidson

Who Dat, this is a word known as patwa, this word used in jamaica for over hundreds of years. it mean who is that.

January 30, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  9. Matthew

Re: President and GOP Testy Exchanges. Rather than rehash and comment on how the President and GOP disagree, why don't you do some real reporting and tell us whether the President was accurate or the Representative was right on his assertion that the President will triple the budget over the next ten years. Do some REAL reporting.

January 30, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  10. Pamala

"Tough questions from house republicans"...hardly! There is nothing tough about our president calling out the GOP for the bald-faced lies and pathetic conspirasy theories they have spread since he was sworn into office, and the hypocrisy they display–daily, AND he did it with ease–using their own questions, in this unprecidented meeting broastcast live on national TV. It was one truth speaker against 140 liar gopers, and the president won, hands down.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO President Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHAME ON THE GOP. The GOP have really STUPID people thinking this president is attempting to take them over, along with the healthcare system, and take away their guns, and turn them into "Socialists", even though they cannot even explain the meaning of the word. They will tell you they "want their country back", but cannot explain what has been taken away. THIS is a direct result of GOP race baiting and it began with the 08 campaign. Race baiting must be ILLEGAL in campaigns in America, and within our polititcal system.

January 30, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  11. fijiiw

Thanks Steve Perry for brining real info to the discussion re the New Orleans school system. You are correct...Vallas left Chicago in shambles and did a big smoke & mirrors in my hometown of Philadelphia before he became the "saviour" of New Orleans. Test scores may be better in New Orleans but we have to remember that most of the familes and children in the most deprived areas of the city have not been able to return. So as long as you displace the problem, yes the test score numbers will go up!

Arne Duncan should apologize to all of the people devastated by the failures of New Orleans pre and post Katrina. Martin's commenst act as if it is the residents faults that the governemnet of their city, state and country failed them and their educational system. Take a look around....our public schools sytems in this coumtry are still a sham...DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, you name it, urban and rural. Thank God Pres Obama has begun to institute some new programs and initiaitives. Arne Duncan must apologize and then seek advice & counsel from President Obama on the grace required to be allowed to seve in his esteemed cabinet position.

January 30, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  12. Shena

I bought a Camry Hybrid in '06. During the first 500 miles the car accelerated into intersections frequently. The gas pedal was not stuck. It was moveable and so was the brake pedal. I had the brake to the floor and car was still accellerating. TOYOTA blew me off and so did the dealer where I bought the car. I went unheard since then and am now in my last year of my lease. I hope my child and I don't die because I am bound by contract to keep this car. I even reported it to NHTSA to no avail.

January 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  13. AL

TJ/Betty
    Please do a segment on 'preexisting conditions'. Our family was denied a
    family policy after our Cobra ran out. We were denied because of preexisting conditions; a stuffy nose which may require surgery, daughter had irregular menstrual cycles. When I went to my doctor he told me that he had a patient that was denied coverage because they were 10 lbs over weight. When I viewed your segment on the lady who wanted to get married to anyone who had medical coverage, I thought it may be interesting to link insurance denials for minor conditions instead of major conditions (how many of us are out there). Even though I have never been admitted to a hospital or have had surgery, our family was put into a high risk pool in MN; $18,000/year with limited coverage. Please think about doing research on this.
    I enjoy the Betty/TJ show; have a great day

January 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  14. Henya, Ca

Great job buy President Obama the State of the union and the meeting with the GOP I never saw any other President do that before, he is so smart and eloquent truthful calm assertive and even funny, he is everything I wonted in my President I’m a happy camper,

January 30, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  15. Richa Mishra

I would suggest teaching kids being vegetarian. It will help the kids growing up healthy and would not require lessons on changing their diet because if they love something its hard for them to give up, better than that just teach them to love animals and how inhumane that is to kill animals( which their innocent mind will grasp). Also there have been studies that vegetarian person are less aggrasive and be able to focus more!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!

February 9, 2010 at 10:05 am |