Today on CNN Newsroom

January 31st, 2010

Do you plan to read the book about John Edwards?

Former Democratic presidential contender John Edwards now admits fathering a child out of wedlock. The details - all released last week in a book called "The Politician," authored by Edwards' long-time confidant, Andrew Young. Edwards' attorneys have weighed in, saying, "It is obvious that there are many allegations which are simply false."

Do you plan to read the book? Do you even care? Leave your comments below. We may use some of them on this CNN Sunday Morning between 6am and 9am ET.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Findlay

Nah...I read to be inspired. And while I am making assumptions, I just don't think this book or the circumstances within it would qualify in that regard.

January 31, 2010 at 5:11 am |
  2. jerry

I couldn't care less.

January 31, 2010 at 5:23 am |
  3. Stuart Neslin

The whole Edwards saga would be disgusting were it not so pitiful. . . it's almost exploitive to listen to the allegations and the counter-charges. . . we can only hope that all of those concerned get some help and move forward.

January 31, 2010 at 6:10 am |
  4. Doris

No I do not! This Country has way too many other things to worry about than who is in bed with whom. I also do not think that anyone who has been counted as a so called "confidant" should profit from "spilling the beans". What has happened to loyalty? Everyone is out for a buck and for themselves. Perhaps if we started worrying about others and not ourselves this Nation would do a nice turn around!

January 31, 2010 at 6:15 am |
  5. Carol

I wonder how long Edwards would have continued to deny fathering the child if the book had not been written. Edwards chose a pubic life, and unfortunately, people tend to love this kind of scandal. Once a supporter of Edwards, I do not plan to read the book, nor am I really interested in the details. I have more concern for how this publicity will impact the Edwards' children and other family.

January 31, 2010 at 6:17 am |
  6. Scott Stodden

I will not read the book at all Betty! I feel that yes John Edwards is wrong for having an affair behind his wifes back especially when Elizabeth is so sick but I also feel that John Edwards admitted his wrong doing and I feel Andrew Young is just trying to make money with the interview on 20/20 and the release of the book! Its such a shame what John Edwards did to his wife and kids but Andrew Young isn't any better! Shame on you John Edwards and Elizabeth stay strong as so many people are praying for your full recovery!

January 31, 2010 at 6:21 am |
  7. Makeda Tiye Young

I do not plan on reading this book because I know the good things that he has done for our community being that I am from Raleigh, NC and attended Broughton High School. Many politicians, artists etc.. have committed acts that society does not find appealing or noteworthy but I do not believe we should use secondary sources to pass judgement especially those in which we do not know personally.

January 31, 2010 at 6:32 am |
  8. Who needs enemies?

Edwards is an old story. The story now is the Youngs. They claim to write this book because their reputation is in tatters. Well, they ain't seen nothing yet. Shame on them for getting involved in this tragedy, and more shame on them for this book. No, I won't be reading it – don't need to, all the salacious stuff is already in the news.

January 31, 2010 at 6:35 am |
  9. Adrienne

I always thought that John Edwards was a fake and if what Mr. Young says is true this proves my assumption. Thank God Elizabeth Edwards made the decision to move on. I just hope that John Edwards soon moves on so we don't have to see or hear him ever again. He is a disgrace to American politics. I hope that young children don't watch him and think he is a proper role model. He is no one's role model. I feel sorry for his and Elizabeth's children. Hopefully, Mrs.Edwards will find some peace in all of this. God Bless Elizabeth and the Edwards children.

January 31, 2010 at 6:41 am |
  10. Barbara

Absolutely NOT!
    Why would I want to buy or read a book that an aide/confidant wrote about his former boss. Whatever the truth is about John Edwards, Andrew Young is coming over like an angry, bitter, jilted lover.

I think John Ewards was completely stupid in thinking that his denial would make his infidelity go away. Ultimately, this is between him and his wife. Not the media and not the public. WHAT IS DONE IN THE DARK.......WILL EVENTUALLY COME TO THE LIGHT!

Andrew Young's friends (if he has any) should be EXTREMELY careful what they say and do around him.

January 31, 2010 at 6:43 am |
  11. Linda, East End LI

Betty, I agree with your first blogger. Americans ought to become more intune with just what being American means. Americans are lowering their high standards today. Whether the Senator and his wife have sinned or not, Americans have a responsibility...Holding the tongue may save a life or two. This private matter between the Senator and his wife needs to remain private until all the facts are collected and proved. Although it is alluring to listen to tabloidal stories, we ought to avoid them as much as we avoid unhealthy foods. Who will care when these two lives are ruined by (or worse, yet...lost) after all of this tabloidal 'news' is made public? 'Reporting' on so called facts, is not American. Its beneath US. I've been a long time fan of CNN; Even visiting you guys in Atlanta. Clean up your act.

January 31, 2010 at 6:44 am |
  12. Betty Ann London Ontario Canada

The honesty of politicians is always a ? John Edwards sure had me fooled, his honesty commitment and integrity are cemented in the
    sewer. Mr Young make lots of money I am sure going to read it. Elizabeth took all she could take now it is onward and upward. A
    world of women are cheering you on.

January 31, 2010 at 6:53 am |
  13. Norm Trowell

The only way I would read the book is if all profits were going into a trust fund for the child. It seems like we've got one scuzball writing a tell all book about another scuzball.

January 31, 2010 at 7:05 am |
  14. Elizabeth

I do not plan to read the book on Edwards, or Tiger, or anyone else
    who has a "tell all" book. Who are WE to judge anyone else? Let him who is withour sin cast the first stone.

January 31, 2010 at 7:06 am |
  15. Leslie Jones

I can't buy Andrew Young's book quick enough. At least he was man enough to confess to doing the wrong thing. Edwards lied all the way up to a week before the book came out, does anyone else find this shady? What a dirt bag!

January 31, 2010 at 7:11 am |
  16. Bruce

I wouldn't bring this book home even if it were FREE. While the former Senator's behavior is far from admirable, he nor his family deserves the shame and humiliation this has created. This is a PRIVATE matter and should have been handle between Mr. Edwards and his family. This not something that should be tried in the court of public opinion. I have deep concerns about someone who would seek to destroy a family for financial gain. Notwitstanding any judgment, money is the root of all evil.

January 31, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  17. Gloria

Hi Betty, I am not interested in reading the book. I read good books to increase my knowledge and reading this book would not increase my knowledge. These people are suffering enough, I always pray for his wife and I think it very dishonest for his aide to write this book, because he should have been a freind enough to not get in volved. This is a personal matter and it should be solved between John and Elizabeth Edward only. I think the aide wants the attention from the media and to be increase financially. I think it is a shame to publish something that someone did or told you in confidence. When do people know to mind their own business?

January 31, 2010 at 7:13 am |
  18. Concerned for all involved

No, I do not plan to buy this or any other books concerning this sad situation. I hear everyone talking about the concern for the "love child", but what about John and Elizabeth's children who are able to understand everything going on now and the humiliation that they are encountering with their friends, peers and family. I do have concern for that child that did not ask to be in this position, but the story goes much deeper with Elizabeth and her children. It is very evident the Hunter planned this trap for John Edwards without thinking what impact it would have on his family or her "love child", so she is the real culpit of this entire saga. It is just a sad, sad situation for all involved.

January 31, 2010 at 7:16 am |
  19. mary

Fifty seven years and knew each other three and a half months...and they said it wouldn't last!

January 31, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  20. John (Canada)

Hey Renolds,
    Good short tips about driving in snow. A couple of years ago Rob took a winter driving course. Sounlds like you did too – or have experience.
    Regards.
    John (Canada)

January 31, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  21. SHERRY JEFFERSON

elizabeth is one of the most amazing woman. i would have voted for john edwards. i think the affair was a excape for john. this family has had a alot of saddness to overcome. for a moment in time john forgot. i don't approve of his actions at all. the worst thing that will happen to john is he will no longer have elizabeth by his side. that's the saddest of all. out of respect for elizabeth i will not be reading the book.

January 31, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  22. Rodney Sanders

John Edwards situation should be a private matter between him and his family. This is not the first time a politician has been involved in this type of situation. The author of this book is just looking to make money off of John Edwards personal matter. John Edwards situation as unfortunate as it his, should be left between him and his family. I will not read the book. There are far more matters in this country that I and we need to focus on like Jobs/ Education/ and climate change.

January 31, 2010 at 7:20 am |
  23. Louise

I do not plan to read this book. Buying it would be rewarding bad behavior. Andrew Young was a willing participant in this three way affair. He now wants to be paid for being a liar. Who needs friends like this?

January 31, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  24. jean

I wouldn't spend 2 cents on that book. I can read everything I want about it on the internet.

January 31, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  25. Sophia

I have no respect for either John Edwards for Andrew Young. Obviously Mr. Young is motivated by money. Personally, I could care less about the personal life of anyone other than myself. People who write books such as this one are just as bad as the person they portray. I wouldn't buy this book for a penny let alone the regular price.

January 31, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  26. Sheila Harris

I don't plan to read the book. I've heard and read enough already. Although, I do think it would make a good movie; and I would definitely watch it. One more thing, Andrew Young is a perfect example as to why you have to be really careful who you befriend. He is just as guilty, he should have known better. I would not buy his book so that he can make a profit for something he contributed to.

January 31, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  27. Renee

Who would trust someone who would lie about being the father of another men's child in attempt to cover up-the author doesn't seem to have a problem lying.
    Who would trust someone who would hold a sex tape? Sounds very
    sleazy to me.

January 31, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  28. Kenroy Cherrington

It's a tragedy in regards to the John Edwards' affair. The fmr. senator is a good man, but, when you know that you're good looking, affluent, and you could become the most powerful man in the world, it does cause some people to act superciliously. As for the aide, his book maybe intriguing but he has prevaricated before so how can one trust him.

January 31, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  29. Clyde Casstevens

I think feberal goverment should pass laws if you say something about somebody ,you should prove it or be sued for bout 75 million or go to prison for 99 years as this has nothing to do with free speak.you destory lifes with lies &chap thats going on in the country.& I for one wish if they have nothing worth anything to say,than keep thier mouths shut.I care not who goes to bed with any body ,I know no one who cares.

January 31, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  30. Linda, East End LI

There, you have it!

Now that most CNN bloggers have said 'Nay'...now will you listen to your viewers and change the subject of news?

Pleeze?

January 31, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  31. Ms. Mac

I have no plans to read the book, The Politician. What amazes me is that these individuals don't think (in advance) their actions carry any consequences for themselves or others. It angers me that many feel that they should expose wrong doing, not for the sake of what's right, but the for the sake of monetary gain. Finally, it saddens me that we still have little sins vs. big ones. John Edwards and Tiger Woods are human beings – flawed, but forgivable and one sin is no smaller than the other.

January 31, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  32. Jeff T

It's very clear now that John Edwards chicken's has came home to roost!!

January 31, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  33. Bob Gay

Nope i couldn't care less in fact i spent too much of my time answering this question....

January 31, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  34. verna hensel

Yes I'll read the book. I want to be able to sort out all the lies both of the Edwards were spouting....they are more despicable than the Clintons in their heyday.

January 31, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  35. Paul Sherman

Why should I read about some politition who lies to family and to country. Nothing is sacred anymore. The should impeach all those who cheat because if they cheat family, they will cheat us.

January 31, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  36. Wojciech Moskal

Once again. No.

January 31, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  37. Gloria

There should be no monetary gain for the Young couple because they are just as guilty in being accomplices in the cover-up. John Edwards is obviously flawed and stupid in what he had done, but boy, he messed up with a spacey, crazy, delusional woman. He deserves what he got.. Nobody in this story showed any moral values.

January 31, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  38. Bizz

No, I have better things to spend my money on instead of buying a book about some sleaze ball who cheated on his wife who had cancer. Then produced a child out of wedlock and tried to lie his way out of it. It sounds closed to the Newt Gingrich story when he told his wife lying in a hospital with cancer that he cheated on her and wanted a divorce.

February 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  39. ronnie patrick

Hell no. Who cares about John Edwards and his private affairs. This is the so call best friend from the past and John Edwards. Too tell the truth I don't think the best friend should make a dime on this book. The best friend is looking for money and that is the bottom line. I have no respect for this person what so ever.Most people feel the same way. It is almost like buying Sarah Palin's book a waste of money.

February 4, 2010 at 8:21 am |