Today on CNN Newsroom

February 5th, 2010

Your Oscar Picks

The Academy has expanded the field of nominees in the race for the best picture this year.  Ten films,  Avatar,  The Blindside,  District 9, An Education, The Hurt Locker,  Inglourious Basterds, Precious, A Serious Man, Up, and Up in the Air  are vying for top honors and a spot in Oscar history.  Do you think your favorite film will make the cut?

There's also a brewing battle between two famous exes, James Cameron, director of  Avatar and Kathryn Bigelow, director of  The Hurt Locker.  Both are up for 'Best Director'.

One thing is certain, the star-studded event is a big draw in Hollywood and beyond.  And our movie expert thinks he already knows who will be taking home some golden hardware to proudly display on their mantle.

Join us at 4pm ET Saturday and find out Ben Mankiewicz's  picks for the top awards, and see if you're on the same page.   You can also share your thoughts about the Oscar nominations.  Did your favorite star get the nominee nod, or get kicked to the curb?

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Laura

I haven't seen any of these movies

February 5, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  2. Alyssa

I haven't seen any of those movies, but I saw Julie and Julia and it was really good. I hope it wins something.

February 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  3. Alyssa

actually i have seen up. it was so good.

February 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  4. Paul R Jaworski

Just watched the program, about 3:45 central time. Ben made a big mistake. He said he wanted Meryl Streep to win because she had been nominated 16 times and never won, even Sandra B. may win. FYI, Meryl Streep has won two Academy awards. The guy should know his facts and maybe Fredricka should have caught the error.

February 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  5. Theron

I'm with you Laura, I didn't see any of these movies.LOL.Except for a little of District 9, I was watching that on DVD, but then stopped watching it because it seemed like a documentary. I heard Avatar was good, but I didn't see it. It just seems like they don't make movies like they used to. The movies were better on average in my opinion when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's, the only thing now is that the sound effects and special effects are ten times better.

February 6, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  6. Brit

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be? I would have to say not sending money to other countries that wont and cant help themselfs....Like Africa, Iraq and Haiti....Our economy is suffering and the government and all these Celebraties dont care....They'd rather send money overseas then help people here in America. Schools are closeing down all over and schools are budgeting their money and can bearly get by each year.

February 7, 2010 at 5:05 am |
  7. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Precious was the best when it comes to real people in a world of desperation to survive poverty and sick minded people .

February 10, 2010 at 10:25 am |