Today on CNN Newsroom

February 6th, 2010

Tea Party Time in Nashville

Join TJ Holmes with Brooke Baldwin in for Betty Nguyen tomorrow in the CNN Newsroom beginning 6am ET/ 3am PT

Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Richard Hermling

The future of this country is at stake.

Vote the bums (incumbants) out of office.

Support independents.

February 6, 2010 at 11:04 am |
  2. Terry in Colorado

We all know that the Tea Party is for less taxes and less federal government. But what do we know about their knowledge of and attitudes about current events?

It came to light yesterday that Senator Richard Shelby of Alabama is holding up over 70 Obama appointments because a couple of his favorite earmarks were being ignored. How do the Tea Partiers feel about this issue? Do they think it is right for Senator Shelby to hold the nation hostage to get the earmarks he wants? Or do they think he is doing the nation a favor by keeping Obama from governing?

How do the Tea Partiers here feel about that issue?

Another issue that the President brought up in the SOTU address: He said he wants to tax companies that send jobs overseas and he wants to reward companies that keep and create jobs here in the U.S. The Republicans attending the SOTU, refused to applaud that idea.

How do the real Americans feel about that issue?

February 6, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  3. Michael Sanders

Do not forget that Nashville is a Democratic strong hold in the state and always goes to the Democratic party in elections. So, there are many in this city who do not like having a "Tea Party" or Sarah Palin in town!

February 6, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  4. Patricia Tackett

What is up with the endless PROMOTION of the tea party gathering??????

February 6, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  5. Whittier

Why is CNN spending anytime on the Tea Bagger convention? Less than 600 should up to demonstrate they have no understanding of any of the issues. They are just raging against a World they do not understand.

February 6, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  6. A Finlay

Where were these tea-baggers when Bush was in office taking the government from a surplus to a deficit? Why were they not flapping when Bush passed the prescription drug benefits and added to the deficit? Why were they not up in arms when Bush passed No child left behind. Now our children are educated to the lowest common denominator. This does not bode well for America.

Perhaps if the tea-baggers would do some fact checking beyond listening to the shrill rhetoric from Fox news they would be able to contribute to making America a better country. Unfortunately, I think they are only able to make broad accusations of Obama being a communist or socialist without really understanding what they are saying.

February 6, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  7. A. Smith, Oregon

CNN should help to organize a 'COFFEE PARTY' to counter the utter absurdity of the 'tea party wing-nuts' who appear to be directly speaking for massive corporations in America that are protesting the loss of their Bush jr. tax breaks under the Obama administration.

'Coffee Party' for a safe and sane expansion and use of Federal Govt. partnership with Americans would be a welcomed addition to the political landscape in my opinion.

I agree that some government agency's could be joined together to save money, however across the board gutting of essential services and removal of supportive government agency's would greatly increase the misery factor sweeping America at this time.

February 6, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  8. Dan Leahy

At a time when the Republican party is almost exclusively represented by conservatives (moderate Republicans in congress are nearly an extinct breed), you report that the Tea Party folks want the Republican party to be MORE conservative. Given this, how, how, how can the Tea Party be described as anything but extreme? They listen to Glenn Beck and they invite long-time whackos like Alan Keyes and Tom Tancredo to speak to them. How can they be considered even remotely "mainstream"?

February 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  9. Terry in Colorado

600 was their capacity for the event. "Aim low" is apparently their motto.

February 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  10. Peggy Hennessey

I do not understand why there isn't more push back on the assumptions that the tea party convention types are spouting. They complain that the government is taxing them too much...and that the stimulus hasn't done anything to help "the people". One third of the stimulus money...One Third!...was used to lower taxes for 90 percent of middle class Americans. I noticed the increase in my check last year, didn't anyone else notice it????

February 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  11. Gordon Olivant

Time for a little balance in your coverage. All day I have been hearing how the Tea Party attendees paid $500 to attend their meeting. Not once have you reported the cost for members of the Democratic National Committee members to attend their big meeting in Washington This weekend. How much did they pay? How much did it cost the American Taxpayers for the President to speak at that meeting?

February 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  12. Wojciech Moskal

Recently I saw a poster of JFK and kids in the JFK building Boston. I think it said on the poster " the future of America is only as goods as the kids are". My biggest complain against the government is how they allowed the market target the kids, and make their misery, addictions, misfortunes, or struggles with every day liefs a source of income. Again many of them do't have parents or any one to be there for them. Even majority of them started to see how the so called entertainers don't really care about them, all they want from them is money. Many of the entertainers are, in my opinion, victims( I mean some abuse them selfs to get in the movie by throwing up, bleach them-selfs, etc. ). And they have become role models to today everyday kid, or teen.

February 6, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  13. Renee

I would have to be paid $100,000 to listen to Sarah Palin! OMG Screechy, scratchy voice! Also, the current "Tea Party" represents a more Republican group than most of us who are bi-party; they certainly don't rep. "the American People". What a joke!

February 6, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  14. Angie

Hmm,
    I still remember Highmark Blue Cross sending employees email before April 2009 to attend a meeting in April of 2009 and they called it Tea party.

I remember They even had a table in the parking lot for people to sign on the lists, so the company Highmark Blue Cross could give special consideration to employees who were going to the meeting.

yep, The tea party people are bought and paid for by the Insurance companies, Just like the Senate Republicans who got millions of dollars each to stop the Reform Bill. Why? Because the insurance companies DO Not want to stop dropping patients who were suddenly seriously ill or the insurance companies DO NOT want to give Life Saving Procedures for their patients who need it. And many times those patients died.

The Legacy of the Tea Party.

February 6, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  15. Wojciech Moskal

I can only answer this honestly. I personally don not feel comfortable getting close to a gay man, I mean I talk to them but as far as crossing my personal gay don't get closer then this zone, I really do not feel comfortable. In my opinion all the people should be more private with their sex life. On one side people promote it very openly as a very healthy way of living(movies, music, the entire culture), on the other side you have aids, STD's, victims of rape, molestations, trafficking human for drugs and sex, divorces, cheating etc., all of the above related to sexual activities. I personally find women attractive, but I never fantasied about being with more then one at once or have multiple relationships(also known as playing people) at the same time. The relationship, wedding, love what I still find attractive. But even when people are marred I think their sexual relationship should be private. To me tree is a crowd.

February 6, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  16. george

Sorry Don,

I will use the time during Sarah Palin's speech to give my dog a bath. The tea party and Sarah Palin are full of hate and intollerance of the kind I can do without. It seems CNN is going way overboard covering this gathering of people who have nothing but bad words for our President and other Americans. I can' wait until the convention is over and they go back under their rocks.

February 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  17. Linda in Arizona

How can I put this? I WANT TO THROW UP!! I can't BELIEVE you are putting the wasilla THING on your channel for her full speech. You have NO credibility left. Congratulations on broadcasting trash.

February 6, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  18. Linda in Arizona

Is CNN going to give somebody who isn't a piece of trash equal time? I am FURIOUS!

February 6, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
  19. Linda in Arizona

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE GIVING HER UNLIMITED AIRTIME. I CAN'T. NOT EVEN YOU! This is UNFORGIVABLE. How DARE YOU? WHOSE STUPID DECISION WAS THIS? THIS IS A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN JOURNALISTIC INFAMY! I LOATHE YOU!

February 6, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  20. Cynta Ehrlich

Most of her complaints are the direct fallout of policies promulgated or legislation signed by the former administration. The Toxic Asset Relief Program? Check. Budget deficit? Check. Not to mention the rollback of all of the financial regulations that created our current mess. And what exactly are the foreign policy triumphs from that time? Mission accomplished? I was working overseas and I know first hand that America was widely reviled during the Bush years. It takes a lot of discipline for me to listen to her – she is like a wind up Stepford doll spouting talking points – I bet if someone asked her what "tort reform" meant or to explain how exactly cutting taxes for small businesses would allow the owners to hire more people when businesses are scaling back and cutting production left and right because of the recession, and how that mechanism does not really work, she would have a chip overload – just like the "reset" button that actually said "overload" – how is she so clueless, and why do people like her so much? Where oh where has my country gone?

February 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  21. johnlindauer

seems like same old same old.

drill baby drill.

fight terrorism.

cut taxes.

(you can fit all that on ONE fortune cookie.)

what else ya got?

February 6, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  22. Ken Newoften

TJ,
    On Saturday you commented multiple times that the Tea Party was just a collection of people w/ no common interests. Why is that any different than the Democratic Party??? (except that the Democratic Party has created an organization umbrella) But from the pure 'interests' side, what are the common interests between Blacks and gays and union workers and women's issues and Hispanics and on and on. There are some common American interests of 'rights' but each of their rights are aimed at different targets. The Tea Party on the other hand has a very common core focus of Fiscal Discipline and Govt accountability. So their 'core' issue in its specifics has far a far more cohesive focus than Democratic Party .

Ken

February 7, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  23. alex lyrics

Sarah palin was funny. durring her speach she could barely look up from the notes and speach that was given to her writtne by others. It is clear to me that Sarah Palin doesn't read the news papers, and she clearly only watches FOx news, because if she watched any legitimate news, she would have known that the under wa...re bombers been singing like a bird all week. The underware bomber has been talking and giving up information on the entire terror network and its people. Sarah palin is cashing in on the idiots who support her. I am so sick of this doumb bimbo , when will she just fade away?????????//God after she can't make money screatching like nails on a chalk board, her gay husband will divorce her and come out of the closet swinging. Then we will have to deal with his story of the Retarded baby and her numbnut brain.See More

February 7, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  24. sharon le master

The Rep. Dem. Party or Tea Party ..they are all the same I had a little hope for sarah until last night...same ole same ole...speaches..no substances...trying to say from the people by the people, sarah says from the bottom up ..others say grass roots movements...NO NO the Problems are from the TOP DOWN...why don't some one step in and take action against the high self voted saleries of the congress and senate? and the petty cash increases>??every one seems to have to take a cut on the cost of living but them Why? they are above we the people? NO and I want an accounting of their spending on self interests! would any one of them live on what they are inisting we live on? I no longer trust our government....lies lies and mores deals in back rooms!

February 7, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  25. mary stansberry

l/2 gov. palin did nothing but use political platitudes in her speech to the tea partiers - wants smaller federal government - what would she cut? social security? foreign aid? educational benefits? plan D drug plan? medicare? These politicians need to be specific - I would make federal government smaller by ________________. She keeps talking about more oil - missing the point that some of us would like clean air. wouldn't a debate between obama and palin be a hoot? ms in mo

February 8, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  26. mary stansberry

Thought the tea party convention had quite a lot of coverage for the few people in attendance. Think Palin resorted to political cliches in her address - she wants smaller federal government - she needs to explain how she would accomplish that - lower social security, cancel plan d drug plan, no more wars, no educational funding, no more foreign aid - just what would she do? Of course, if Palin were elected President, she would probably sers s serve serve only two years - and wouldn't a debate between Obama and Palin be a hoot? ms in mo

February 8, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  27. Mikey

It seems that CNN AND C-SPAN are going to spend a weekend covering a political event in which 600 people attended. I can not remember any organization whose attendance was this small getting this much attention.
    How many other events attended by 600 people are you going to spend a weekend on?

If CNN wants to keep me watching I do expect some fact checking which I have not seen so far.

I might as well watch Fox .

February 8, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  28. JF

The so call " Tea Party " is a game the rich and will to do Americans are using to trick the easily brain washed low income
    Americans into helping them not pay their just amount of taxes.
    Most Americans may not know how numbers work, but in order for
    the government to have money to do things " good or bad " , it is going
    to need to get money from some were. Do you brain washed Americans really think someone making 500,000 a year and up
    can not pay more taxes. They pay more for a watch or ear rings or shoes or dresses, then your yearly income. And you think their " Tea
    Party " is about you. " Has any American ever looked up the word
    EQUALITY " in a dictionary.

February 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  29. alex lyrics

Sarah Palin had to read off her hand during an inteview

February 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm |