Today on CNN Newsroom

February 12th, 2010

Are You Spending Less this Valentine’s Day?

Apparently the rotten economy has a new victim: Valentine’s Day.

A National Retail Federation survey shows the average couple will spend $63.34 for Valentine’s Day this year. That’s down from $67.22 last year.

Are you spending less this Valentine’s Day? What are you buying?

Post your comments here. Betty will read some of them on the air during the 10am ET hour of Newsroom.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Chuck

I am spending more this Valentines Day because I spent less on Christmas. My V-Day gift is a belated birthday present since I deployed right before it.

February 12, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  2. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The National Retail Federation must be crazy I can promise you the average person dont have $67.22 to blow off on Valentines Day .

February 12, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  3. Jason

I'm taking my girlfriend to Las Vegas for Valentines Day weekend. I also bought her a jacket that she wanted.

February 12, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  4. Dani

I got my boyfriend a (albeit, very good) video game that was given to me by a friend cleaning out her closet. Nothing's cheaper than free! And we're a nerd couple, so it works.

February 12, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  5. michael armstrong sr. TX.

All you pretty lady's on CNN deserve to be admired on Valentines Day your all pretty and smart Happy Valentines Day CNN .

February 12, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  6. Meta Carlson

My husband and I are not big fans of the commercialism on Valentine's Day, so while we were dating, we started our own no-so-Hallmark tradition. Every year we eat dinner at Hardees. While it started as a joke, we look forward to it now and save candlelit dinners for special days on our own calendar. So we're not spending less this year, but it is less than most couples on Valentine's Day. Mushroom Swiss Burger, here I come!

February 12, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  7. Scott Stodden

It doesn't really affect me at all since I don't really have a Valentine, I'll just buy my Mom some candy and flowers and Happy Valentines Day to my Mom Cathy Stodden who I love and adore and Happy Valentines to you Betty who I also love and adore, your the greatest!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

February 12, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  8. Christine

Not a dime. I do not spend money on this purely commercial holiday. I don't believe telling someone you love them should take a special day, it should be done everyday. Sporadic moments of romance throughout the year mean more than a required bit in February. .

February 12, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  9. Lisa Lamphere

My husband and I are spending MUCH less than last year. As a matter of a fact, we are trying to go closer to the free route. Buying all those expensive gifts truly is a waste in this economy, so we are going the homemade gift route (I made a batch of chocolate covered Strawberries and a love letter). On Valentine's Day we may share a walk and/or picnic in the park, enjoy a free concert or some stargazing, but the most important thing is that we will be spending all day together enjoying each other's company.

February 12, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  10. Alex Mavrogordato

V-day is a make or break day especially in college and therefore I make a point to go all out every year. This year I have planned my masterpiece; flowers, art museum, wine bar, the theatre (not a movie the real thing) , a good diner and chocolate covered strawberries. It will cost around 200 dollars but it is a smart investment that will make my valentine a very happy women.

February 12, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  11. warren tompkins

HI
    Won't be spending anything this year. I'm from Vancouver so will ignore Valentine's Day and spend the next 17 days watching the Olympics.

February 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  12. Shelley in Pennsylvania

My hubby and I will be celebrating at home with time together, which is the best gift of all.

February 12, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  13. Kelley

Typically I let the man do the heavy lifting on this holiday. However this year my fiancé broke his kindle. He was so heartbroken I bought him a new one PLUS a case and extended warrenty!

February 12, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  14. Susan

My husband and I know we love each other and we decided instead of going out or getting presents, we would put the money we would spend in our savings. I think that would be the best way to show someone you love them. That way, even with our interest rates so low, our present to each other will grow, not be depleted. That makes our relationship strong, we are planning for a long future together. We still would like the interest rates to go up, but that is another story for another blog!

February 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  15. Kent Thomas

I am a florist and I would like to provide more information for your story which just aired regarding the reasons it is a "bad" day for florists when Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday. Your story said that florists would not be delivering Sunday, which is untrue. I think you will find that nearly every retail florist will at least do deliveries Sunday morning.

Back to the point of Sunday being a bad day for florists, yes it will but there are predictable reasons. Valentine flower volumes for retail florists are always higher on weekdays. This is due to the guilt felt by husbands and boyfriends because the are working and cannot spend quality time with their partner Valentine's night.

When Valentines Day falls on Friday, Saturday or Sunday partners have that quality time and they will spend it by having dinner, going to the movies, going to museums, spending the weekend somewhere else and may other activities. In light of this, many deem flowers unnecessary. The ultimate convergence happens when, like this year, Valentine's Day falls on a weekend, President's day falls on Monday AND many school systems are off the following week.This is the worst possible scenario as many families spend the entire week on vacation including Valentine's Day.

February 12, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  16. Jon B

Good Morning Betty,
    By the way we love you , Happy Valentines Day!
    Ken and I , the love of life, have a wonderful tradition for Valentines Day , we stay at the Hotel Del here in Sunny San Diego, we live in San Diego , but when we stay at the del we feel the romance and feel like we are miles away from the city. This weekend we are staying at the beach villas at the Del , very romantic resort style villa at the Del, dinner at 1500 Ocean on the property, we love it , and my honey also gave me a empire red kitchen aid mixer for valentines as well , love it, lots of baked goods being made in our house, keep up the great work we love you ! take care Jon and Ken in sunny San Diego , post card weather can not beat it! xoxoxo

February 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  17. Sophia Orlovsky

Hi Betty good morning!
    I believe that people are spending less on traditional Valentines day presents and finding alternative solution. Its just one way that they are changing the way they spend their money and making things instead of buying them. For example, I am downloading and printing Valentines cards instead of buying them, making my cakes instead of buying them. The kids are really enjoying this more, they are more hands on and keeps them happy and off the couch. I believe that people have found alternative ways to adapt in this economically challenging time for many. Plus, remember that more parents are out of work staying home with their kids able to do more in making gifts rather then buying them and make is a fun holiday for everyone like me. I would like to thank CNN for helping report about different financial solutions and economic guidelines about money to help families. All the best~ Sophia O. (Hallandale Beach, Florida)

February 12, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  18. Jon B

Betty ,
    a follow up email , first off after reading all of the comments so far, I feel a bit guilty , about how much money we are spending , but you see , we have not really taken any trips last year, work work work, so we like to treat ourselves to this weekend , because we worked hard all year and its a nice treat. But I would have to agree with the other comments, we would still have a wonderful weekend together, even if we did not have this tradition, because it's also our anniversary weekend. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Jon and Ken

February 12, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  19. Dan

My wife and I are not spending anything on Valentines day; however, if you want a very inexpensive idea for Valentines day, read the greatest love story ever told. It is contained in the B I B L E. It talks of an almighty that loved each and every one of us so much he sacrificed his son for us. It is not fiction, it is true. JC is LOVE.

February 12, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  20. George

For all who want a good love story, read Genesis 1:27 and 2:-725; also, 1 Cor 7:1-7 is great reading. Enjoy.

February 12, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  21. rich spry

I spent about what they forcast for the average, give or take a couple of dollars.

February 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  22. Karla

Spending more – my guy is worth it.

February 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  23. David

Having a hard time finding my valentine right now.

February 13, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
  24. Bob Collins

It's NOOB (none of our business). There are those in the media that are nothing but bottom feeders. All they want is to destroy those who have skills, Someone needs to tell THEM to kiss my grits. Oh guess I just did.
    Go get"m Tiger. We'll praying for you and your family.

Bob