Today on CNN Newsroom

February 15th, 2010

The Debate Over Childhood Obesity

First lady Michelle Obama says 1-in-3 American children is overweight; 1-in-2 among minorities. Now she has launched Let’s Move, a national program to get rid of junk food in public schools and educate children about proper diet and exercise. President Obama backed her up by establishing a federal task force to tackle the issue and come up with a plan of action in 90 days.

Not everyone supports the effort. They say while well-meaning, the initiative is misguided and may lead to even worse health problems among American children. Paul Campos is the author of “The Obesity Myth” and an outspoken critic of Mrs. Obama’s plan.

Dr. Mark Wright is a weight-loss specialist. He says Mrs. Obama is right to focus on the issue of childhood obesity.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Fat kids are the parents fault if the parents have no control over there eating habits then there not paying enough attention to there kids and are not showing tough love .

February 15, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  2. Dennis Linville

While i fully support efforts to put healthy foods back into the school system,I am old enough to remember the slop we were fed as kids.It may have been healthy but the taste was such your dog would'nt eat it.I think if they can come up with a healthy and eatable menu it may very well go over well.
    Rumors of fast food tax is just another attempt to bleed Americans of money they dont have and supports my knowledge of the health food issues.If you have money it may be very easy to eat healthy but the average American has to balance health with paycheck. Instead of taxing fast foods where people cant afford to eat anything,they should be looking at ways of bring the cost of healthy foods down.JMHO

February 15, 2010 at 11:43 am |
  3. Richard A. "Red" Lawhern, Ph.D.

Dr. Wright - unlike Paul Campos - is professionally qualified to comment on the need for weight control in kids. Adults who are now overweight may wish it were otherwise, but the facts are unforgiving:

(a) obesity kills and cripples,
    (b) the high-fat / high-sodium American diet is a major contributing factor in obesity for people of all ages, and
    (c) the lack of healthy cardio exercise is likewise a major factor in obesity and all of the health problems associated with it.

I applaud Michelle Obama's efforts to bring this issue into greater public visibility.

February 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  4. john sudic

Mrs.O admits she has no clue about what her kids actully eat and why not ??!! Her only job is that !!!??? I dont think she has to work for a living?! Not now for sure !

February 15, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  5. john sudic

I hope someone who knows about food and how to eat and prepare it is in charge and not some lobby payed greed person !I already posted here that you need to go to elementary school level and through PTA get the parents going on this in every income bracket you can eat healthy but its not the lazy way lets go out to Mac o Wend o Checkers!

February 15, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  6. john sudic

Its the kind of eating habits you instill in your kids ,hence the end product!Most americans eat junk processed food.Grab a cook book go online if you know little !At the public library its free and you have all the info you need !Are your kids or grand kids not worth the effort ,you might even learn a bit too?!

February 15, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
  7. Mrs. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez (WWII)

I am glad to found comments of full support for the efforts of the First Lady. I am pro put healthy foods back into the school system. We cannot blame partents. Parents are not 100% at fault. I will have to say that it is this unhealthy system of being lazy. I have to depend on my child commitment to exercise because I can no longer stay with her due to my Degenerative Neurologic Condition. My child loves to watch cooking channels and I imagine that this chefs will be open for questions especially from the Whitehouse. Everything that is made apetazing is the ticket. I have to put oatmeal on everything I cook due to my health condition.

February 16, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  8. Wojciech Moskal

Send the kids to Darfur or Haiti for vacation. Weight loss guaranteed.

February 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm |