Today on CNN Newsroom

February 15th, 2010

What's your homemade remedy?

Thanks to the power of fromage, winter games skier Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for this year’s competition. After injuring her shin during training Vonn has been wrapping it in topfen, an Austrian cheese, to reduce inflammation.

Our question: What’s your homemade remedy?

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Kyra Phillips
  1. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Spray shin with W-D40 take 2 or 4 Vicodine and wash down with one pint of southern confort this will kill the pain quick .

February 15, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  2. Nora Tallmon

My father's family remedy is to strap bacon to a wound of any size to 'suck out the poison' and 'speed up healing.' Imagine this cure in action in the summer time as a teenager...nicccce. (Bohemian Gypsy cure).

February 15, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  3. Edith Henderson

When my grandchildren have a fever, my daughter puts peeled raw white potatoes in their socks so that the potatoes are touching the bottom of their feet . The potato actually draws the fever out of their body. She got the remedy from someone else but it really works.

February 15, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  4. John

When I was a young boy and would sprain my ankle my grandmother would wrap my ankle with potatoe skins. When I woke up the next day my ankle would be just fine.

February 15, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  5. Nancy

Good morning >:D
    The best remedy for bruises is COMFREY. Any herbalist knows – comfrey is also used for broken bones – it is called knitbone in the community. The best way to use it: a poultice of chopped fresh root or a poultice of dried leaves or by soaking in a strong tea of boiled roots and leaves and used as a poultice. Comfrey root can even be dug up in the winter for use. Comfrey is available at any herbal store, or I have more than enough in my backyard to supply the football league.

There are actually some sports medicine people that use it. Once a friend of mine was hit in the face by a fist loaded with a bunch of keys. I gave my friend plenty of comfrey and within 3 days the swelling and bruising had reduced significantly. It works people. do not use internally!

February 15, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  6. Nora Tallmon

I forgot to mention the bacon is RAW when applied.

February 15, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  7. Diane Lavett

The Vonn-cheese remedy is simple to explain scientifically. Cheese is salty. When applied to the skin, fluid flows from tissue to cheese, reducing swelling. It's the same mechanism as with using epsom salts to reduce swelling. This is biology or chemistry 101.

February 15, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  8. Sheila Connelly

I see you're giggling about the benefits of a German cheese called Quark. It's been mixed with flaxseed oil and used in Europe to shrink tumors for many years.

My dog was diagnosed with an inoperable bladder tumor (TCC) in late Aug of 2009. In the first 45 days, the tumor shrunk by 30% using Quark/flaxseed oil. The ultrasound pictures prove it.

The 90 day ultrasound shows the tumor remains smaller than it was when diagnosed. Spike is doing just fine, too!

Maybe Dr. Gupta can take a look at this protocol. It has a name – Budwig Protocol.

Sheila Connelly
    Sarasota Florida

February 15, 2010 at 10:22 am |
  9. Sherry

Hi, Kyra! My daughter was a pro ballerina, and one thing we *always* had in the freezer for all the dancers were bags and bags of peas. When someone was injured, we wrapped the peas around the injury, since the peas would mold themselves to the injury, allowing the cold to access the entire injured area. I'm wondering if the "cheese" is doing the same thing! : )

February 15, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  10. Chuck

Welcome back Kyra. As a long distance runner I sometimes get blisters on my toes. Super glue works as quick cure to bond the skin.

February 15, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  11. Barb Capodanno

Since the days of the Romans, salt has been an accepted cure-all. In keeping with that, when aches and pains strike my family, I stitch up a piece of tightly woven heavy linen or an old pillow case to about a 12" square, fill it with coarse salt, stitch up the open end and heat it in a cast iron or other heavy duty pan. Apply it to the affected area and the salt magically relieves that ache or pain.

February 15, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  12. Sheila

My sister kept telling me buttermilk works on cold sores. I finally tried it. It works. You can either drink it or just apply it to the cold sore.

February 15, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  13. Shon Gale

Whenever I would get an infection my Grandmother would wrap White Bread soaked in Cows milk around the infected area. It always worked and got rid of the infection.

February 15, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  14. Tanay

Whenever you feel a cold coming on, you take a bucket of freezing cold water and dump it over your head. The shock of the cold water raises your body temperature for a split second (like you just fell through a frozen lake) and kills off a lot of the viruses in your system.

February 15, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  15. bob

Believe it or not, I found that apple cider vinegar is the greatest thing in the world for hemorroids. It has saved me much pain and since I don't have health insurance, $2,000-$3,000 as well. Tell the world!

February 15, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  16. Jan Thompson

For mosquito bites there isn't anything better than straight Ammonia. It sting s for a second but it totally neutralizes whatever it is that makes you itch. Pure heaven after a bad session of itching and in the south it's a must have...LOL
    Jan

February 15, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  17. Crystal Lyn

I grind up garlic gloves and onions, then put the blend in a coffee filter, and press the "compress" against my ears for ear infections; I go pick dandelion leaves, flowers, and roots from the yard (where no chemicals or pesticides have been sprayed!), and make dandelion tea for sore throats and constipation; I also use honey for any type of wound, instead of antibiotic ointment, because honey binds and heals wounds faster then anything else out there.

February 15, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  18. mizzio

Whats up kyra,
    For a toothache chew orange peel,pain gone!!!!!!!!

February 15, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  19. Maria

Kyra, I have to share this with the world, because it works!!!!! When I was a child my 3 year old brother got in flames because of an unattended grill. My mother put ELMER"S GLUE on his little burnt body, face and entir body. He grew up to be very handsome man with NO SCARS!!!!! We do it all the time in my family with small or bad burns. Let the glue dry and then fall ir the burn is really bad go to the hospital.

February 15, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  20. Stuarte from Mendozza, Argentina

I have found that for strenuous exercising, like biking: that the medicinal effects of moderate amounts Red Wine can help you recover very quickly. Red Wines seem to have a strong anti-inflammatory effect; especially for adult bikers 35 and older! I particulary suggest a Red Wine like a Malbec for these purposes !

February 15, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  21. Richard Fisher, Richmond, California

Sore Throat/Larengitis...

Old Home Rmemdy...From my Grand Mother (Hugo, Oklahoma)...
    Ingredients:
    Vinegar, and Water, Salt, Peper...

Apple Cider Vinegar is the prime ingredient.

in a quart (jar) vessel
    2 cups of Vinegar; 1 cup of Water; 1 table spoon Salt; 1 table spoon pepper.

Shake well for mixture.

Gargle two to three times, with a table spoon of the mixture.

Check in a hour for improvement in sore throat condition.

I keep my mixture in my bathroom and in my car...I never know where I may have a need...I share this with numerous individual who said it did help. This remedy has been used in our family as far back as I can remember (I am 66 years old)...

There is a book lisiting the many uses of Vinegar...assiting in weight loss...and many, many moore.

February 15, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  22. M. R. Peters

What you describe as topfen is a dairy product common in Central and East Europe. The German name is Quark. The best translation is curl cheese. The reason it is hard to find is that in Europe milk is pastaeurized, not homogenized. Quark consists of 60 – 80 % of water. It is quite popular as spread on black rye bread sprinkled with cummin seed and/or chopped scallions. Its preparation for consumption has as many recipes as grirs in the South.

February 15, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  23. jed donavan

this question caught my interest as i have suffered broken legs from ski racing in vermont. my homemade remedy comes from the black bear. bear grease, made from bear fat, can be heated and applied several times to various muscle pains. my wife and i both cured painful bouts of forearm tendinitis using bear grease from one of several black bears i have shot over the years. it works!
    also, my vietnamese doctor who trained 20 years in a vietnam monestery states the bear gall is very beneficial in treating a variety of illness. the first nation people of canada call the bear the 'healer', and won't shoot them because of these spiritual beliefs. having hunted with them for several years, i can attest to their reverence to this animal.

February 15, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  24. Chance Wilson, Brooksville Florida

Too bad I woke up late and this won't be aired on t.v., so others can see it. Oh well...I would have to say that one of the best remedies ever is rubbing tobacco on a sting–whether it's a bee, wasp, et cetera. A former girlfriend of mine got stung by a scorpion, even, and this seemed to help alleviate the pain for that sting as well. My parents used this on me when I was a kid, and I've been doing it ever since. Must be one of those southern things I suppose. lol Oh, and I've only ever used cigarette tobacco but I guess any other would work just as fine as well.

February 15, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  25. robyncaffrey keyser west virginia 26726

att kyra

I believe when lindsey vonn put an ' austrailan cheese' on her shin to reduce inflammation.

as still to this day, I put frenches mustard on any burn' ( as the coldness ' not only takes the sting out of the burn, but after u place the mustard all over' to cover the burn,
    after like 5 minuets ) as soon as u get that burning sting again,
    u rinse the mustard off. and the ' burn wilnot' bubble, and 'wilnot leave a scar.
    I put frenches mustard on an' oven burn, ( i smoke cigarettes ) I put mustard on a 'cigarette burn ' an iron burn'
    the only burn , I would be to scarred to put the mustard on , is a muffler from a car, burn.
    -------------------------------
    also : when your getting a sty ( 'on 'or under your eye' ( boil a hot cup of water, ' place a tea-bag in the boiling cup of water, ( dip the tea bag 4 or 5 times. put the hot tea bag ; where your getting the sty, and do that ' three times aday. and it will not arrise. " kyra ' when I m getting a sty' or what they call a blind pimple, all around that area will hurt ' when u touch that spot,
    so I then put a hot teabag on it, and in like 4 days' theres nothing.

------------------------------
    also : did u ever here of MUD' stopping a bee sting ?
    In 1994 me and my kids moved into a nice apartment.

there school was write down the road, so we all hopped on a bike to take a ride to see the grounds.

after we got back to the apartment, we drove the bikes in the drive way, and ' as soon as i hopped off my bike , a bee stung my ankl

now my father always told me to put ' mud ' or ' butter' on a bee sting,
    at that time I was afraid to put butter' as I was told ,that will take the stinger out, so I quick bent down to the ground, I scooped mud all over my ankl, and like 2 minuets after that ., the sting was completley gone.
    now " I that works.

-------------------------------–also : this might sound really strange, but I got a boil on my thiegh, so i went to the emergincy room, to get it glanced. ( well ) all they did was stick a long pin " to pop it, and they put nothing around it to numb that area, ("as breaking it will l be pain.
    ( then after they poped it, there was a really bad smell ( like somthing died.
    ( now when i get a boil " I take something really pointed , and I put it under a fire flame to steiralize the tip, "then I pop it myself.
    kyra "' a boil or a big pimple , is from an ingrown hair.
    any doctor will tell you that.
    but ya have to make sure u steiralize the needle.
    ----------------------------–

February 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  26. Dawn C.

Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar when you have the hiccups....it really works.

February 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  27. robyncaffrey keyser west virginia 26726

aso kyra

when u get a feavor, put alot of clothing on, ( as ya sweat the feavor out of your body,
    and that same night ' u can bet, u wont be eaven worm.

I was also told when u have a feavor, pure and sit in icewater with lots of ice ,and with in minuets your feavors gone.
    ------------------------------–
    and when u have anykind of brewsing, and abbrasins, put anykind of raw stake

February 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  28. Han G Thesobs

Magnets for muscle injuries- The refrigerator type will do for now. Ronnie Lott retired and started selling them. One of the hardest-hitting players in football! Been around for 1000's of years. Been using them for decades now, started with my bad back. Put one on a bruise for 24 hours- watch it dissipate. No lie! Seems to speed up blood flow like cold and heat patches...but MUCH cheaper! You can use both together too.

Stretching exercises from yoga class for bad backs Every morning I go thru 10 stretches in 10 minutes. It's kept me out of my chiropractor's office by 75%, and my massage therapist by 85%. (Sorry guys- I spend it elsewhere tho!) Take a course at a Jr College!

Air purifiers that kill germs OUTSIDE the machine by the very air coming out neutralizing VOC's, killing H1N1, bacteria, mold, etc. There's only a couple that do this, grab the space-certified one. It's been around the longest...and got both my boys and 28 others I know off their inhalers by 95%. Proven to kill smoke & odors in Casinos, stop staph infections in hospitals, increase attendance in schools and businesses.

February 19, 2010 at 1:51 pm |