Today on CNN Newsroom

February 19th, 2010

An Act of Terrorism?

Authorities say they believe the man who crashed a small plane into an Austin, Texas, building Thursday was targeting IRS offices.

Do you consider the Austin plane crash an act of terrorism? Tell us what you think.

You can take our poll here and leave your comments below. We'll use some of them in the CNN NewsRoom between 11am and 1pm ET.

Do you consider yesterday's plane crash in Austin, Texas an act of terrorism?

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Tony Harris
  1. Dean M

Yes it is terrorism. I think most Americans can understand his outrage, but taking the life or injuring others is not the solution. I fear there will be more incidents like this to come. Write your representatives and keep writing, calling, emailing.

February 19, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  2. Paul Brown

If a Muslim flew a plan into an immigration building that he thought had wronged him I wouldn't call it terrorism. In a very black and white definition it does come close though! The fact that this was such a single mans mission kind of kills the "terrorism" label though doesn't it?

February 19, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  3. Don

Did you Know that The IRS is NOT a Constitutional Entity.
    Did you also know that there is NO written law "Passed by Congress" that states you have to pay any tax on your "Personal" Income from your personal labor, The IRS tax Code even states it is "Voluntary" NOT Mandatory, The Supreme Court even ruled that a Mans` wages are his personal Property and thus NOT TAXABLE – LOOK IT UP!!!!!
    While you are at it look up the Definition of "Income Tax" It was never designed to take money from People that live and work within the U.S. Boarders, During World War II , It was a Voluntary Tax to help pay for the War, f it were meant to take a portion of a persons wages, They would have been deducting money from peoples wages almost 100 Years Earlier – LOOK IT UP!!!!
    Reminds me of 1775-1776, Were the Revolutionaries considered Terrorists, They were according to the British, And it looks like our current Government is now taking the same position as the British did back then, And you are surprised that this happened ? I`m NOT, I am surprised someone did not do this sooner or more often, The IRS treats people like the "Kings Subjects" and it is THEIR way or the Jail way, There is NO Fair treatment where they are concerned, They will get money from you if they have to take everything you own, Try to hire a Lawyer when you are Broke – IMPOSSIBLE!!!
    Their attitude is "If you do not like it – Tough, There is Nothing you are going to do about it", I do not condone what happened, I just hope things change before more people think that Firepower is the only way to Correct and Clean up our Corrupt Government.

February 19, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  4. Mikey

If the far right wing, you no the guys that do not think they should pay taxes in this country are terrorist then it is what it is.

February 19, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  5. Dan

Yes, ;most definately. The definition is, in laymen's terms, is to put fear into the government.
    With the exception of the delivery method (plane vs truck) what is the difference between yesterday's attack and the Oklahoma City bombing?
    Both were against the government.
    Of course, the other major difference was this guy committed suicide yesterday, where as Mcveigh was a coward and drove away.

February 19, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  6. Richard A. "Red" Lawhern, Ph.D.

Profound madness, perhaps. Terrorism? No. Any American might understand the impulse to burn the entire IRS institution to the ground. But to do so at the cost of one's life is simply dumber than dirt or crazy.

February 19, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  7. Eric

I am undecided. I am still confused as to his exact reasoning, somewhat like the authorities.

February 19, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  8. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Yesterdays event was an act of desperation and revenge on what one man considerd bullys that destroyd his life .

February 19, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  9. S Gibbs

I recently mailed my tax forms to the Austin area and was not sure if I was affected by this incident. The IRS has not posted anything on line and I am not sure what to do. Any advice would be welcomed.

February 19, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  10. WasNotWas

This guy sounds like a classic teabagger. I'm surprised others haven't been doing this.

February 19, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  11. Jo

tiger didnt need to make a public statement. what happened is his n his wifes business, not the publics. the news is in everyones business nowadays, i, for one dont give a dam, why dont you news shows concern yourselves with things that matter. this doesn't and never did.

February 19, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  12. Rosemary Murray

An act of terrorism occurs when one or more persons attack, intentionally, another person or group of persons for malicious reasons, usually unfounded. In this case, we have one man, one plane, and a building filled with IRS workers and others. So he could have killed or injured more people than he did and that was his intention, was it not? So is there such a fine line between national terrorist attacks and those that are construed to vent just one man's anger? How many more people will "copy cat" this action and aim for the people or institution that aggravates and angers them? Yes, this is terrorism of a sort and it should not be tolerated.

February 19, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  13. Pastor Dennis

What's wrong with society is that they lack forgiveness! Too much negativity. Sinners talking about and against other sinners! Here Tiger is reaching out and asking not only for forgiveness, but for all of these photographers and the media to stir clear of his private life. I respect this as a Christian pastor, but I also respect the fact that he is willing to change. I would hope that he continues treatment and that he eventually would return to golf. May God Bless him and his family...

February 19, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  14. Nell

Tiger did a great job. The guy who said he did poorly would not have been satisfied no matter what he said. Tiger primary focus is his family and not the media. The media should be appologizing to Tiger for invading his privacy.

Tiger does not have to play another Golf Tournment and owes the Media nothing. Leave him alone and let him focus on his family.

Of course, this country is full of the good ole boys and nothing he does will be good enough.

February 19, 2010 at 11:44 am |
  15. mike

not sure about the terrisom thing......I guess I compare this to shooting someone....it is a crime but not sure if we can call all things terrorism......not right but terrorism is something planned by a group....

Anyway, this is what the government, no jobs, foreclosures, high taxes an no future that is making people very upset.....

We need to get our conuntry back on track, be the leaders we our, quit the crazy spending, get jobs back here and quit being a bunch of WIMPS......the leaders we have now are terrible, they spend and spend and do not address the issues and need to take action.....

I can guarantee if we held their paychecks back and out hem on the unemployment line if they do not get things done.....we would accomplish everything......

CUT the taxes in this country...people cannot feed their kids.....

If the government does not start listening to people more of these type of things will happen in our country by our people.....we are FED UP!!!!

February 19, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  16. Jeane

Have you ever known a man who has NEVER cheated????

February 19, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  17. Scott Stodden

Tony I voted no on the online poll and Im sorry but I still stand by my vote because I don't believe the plane crash in Texas yesterday was an act of terroism. I believe that this man was cleary disturbed and upset and that's crystal clear because he burned down his house before the plane crash, I think it was inhumane, unbelieveable and crazy but I don't think it was an act of terroism! What should be discussed now is how easy it is in this country to get on a plane and crash into buildings and kill and hurt innocent people or how in the world somebody can strap bombs inside there underpants and get on and try to blow up airplanes, that's what needs to be discussed!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

February 19, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  18. Helen

I honestly believe that it should not have been necessary for him to make ANY comment. He owed the public nothing. It was a private issue between his wife and children. It is not like he is a public servant and he needed to apologize for his behavior to the people to whom he promised appropriate social and business like demeanor on the public's behalf

February 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
  19. Veverly Wiggins

You know Tony I have listen to all the critics public and media and I can't for the life of me understand why people find it so easy to judge.
    The reason I say this is because as the old statement goes walk a mile in my shoes, sit back and say what you think he should or shouldn't say seems a simple method but if people would realize that we are all human and prone to make mistakes and learn from them this world would be a much less judgemental place. Tiger did the right thing in not answering questions the man is in therapy has noone even thought to think what he and his therapist thought would be the right way to handle this. This man is trying to put this behind him and move on with his life which is what i am sure he and his wife alone with the therapist have decided it is best why open up a can of worms some of us do get tired let him and his family get on with the business of living, because after all it is between him, his wife and his savior. It is ashamed that none of the women he dealt with have been shamed as he has to stepin on someone elses marriage is a horrible thing. What they should have done was contacted his wife and let her know that he had approached them and not sleep with him in the first place.Life is to short it is time for the public to realize that the Woods family does not owe them anything.

February 19, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  20. Helen

This was and is an act of terrorism. If we don't call it as it is we will have more acts like this by people who are frustratead and fueld into thinking that this makes a statement and justifies their actions. This man was selfish and did not think of other people and the pain and hurt his actions would be inflicting on them and their families. His action was an action againt the United States and her people. Yes, we do have problems that need to be worked on...destroying the country and it's people is not the way to correct them.

February 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  21. Julia Smith

An act of terrorism. I don't find that his evil act was perpertated alone or that it is any different from 911. He was fueled and supported by every self-serving right-wing fear monger that has been given mega media attention. These actions have only served those that want to see our country destroyed. At the rate we are killing each other and elected officials failing to govern to the majority rule, it won't take long.
    A house "(or nation) divided aganist it self can not stand.

I think that any so called "Americans" wink, wink; that can say "I understand, it was just a matter of time, and best of all...cast blame on the government meet the following criteria for whiners who feel entitled to the top by birthright and don't have the character and strength to accept blame for anything, and that warped mindset is passed on to other generations.

We have become a nation of weak, fearful, whiners that think in masses not as individuals. You follow talking heads like Saviors. They are in it for the money and the ratings.
    We keep changing politicians, but we never change. We stay self-centered, greedy, afraid of every thing and everyone that thinks or looks different from us. Want to really change America for the best? Change yourself for the better, only YOU can.

February 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  22. mike sey

The notion that small planes and their pilots should be vetted, checked or regulated further to prevent thes incidents would be unconstitutional. Its like Guns. Only criminals and nutbars fly into buildings.

February 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  23. Jerry Glasscock

So if someone attacks innocent lives on an agenda that you agree on, it is a disturbed person or someone not being treated fairly.

If it is someone that looks different than you or has different beliefs it is an act of terrorism. Let's call it what it is then move on to the why...

February 20, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  24. Wojciech Moskal

What's next? Are we going to invade Texas now, and what other state?. There are other ways of dealing with problems then killing people, have you heard of unions?.

February 20, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  25. Ray Gonthier

Hi Tony
    I am 42yrs old with three kids i have good insurance for my family. The thing that bothers me is that the government has completely messed up social security so bad I will never be able to retire and spend time with them. Now they think they can run health care is crazy not only will I have to pay social security and never be able to get it but i will have to pay other peoples medical insurance. I have never said anything just paid my tax and let them waste it but this scares me.
    Thanks