Today on CNN Newsroom

April 2nd, 2010

Polishing your Pitch

A new report shows the biggest job gains in three years. The labor department says employers added jobs in March for only the third month since the recession started.  However, the unemployment rate remained unchanged at 9.7%

So if you're one of the 15 million people without a job, we've got help. Join us this Saturday at 2pm ET for tips on how to spice up your resume & ways to grab the attention of a hiring manager.

If you have any specific questions on how to get a job, post your thoughts here. We'll read some on the air and get answers from a recruiter, April Fawcett Nagel.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Carl

"Girls Gone Wild" is a discriminating monopoly. I think we could create alot more male employment opportunities to produce a "Guys Gone Wild" company.

April 2, 2010 at 1:30 pm |
  2. Michael

This is not the 90’s where employers could not find enough employees, you may have to ask for less compensation to get a job.

April 2, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  3. Marc

I guess I just dont understand the job situation in the rest of the U.S. but, in the Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota territoritories they are short on employees!!! This area contains a lows density of population and has room to develop and welcome in new eployees and employers. Keyword: RELOCATE America!

April 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  4. David Thelen

I believe I can be a great asset for any organization. I have developed all kinds of ideas to potentially create new jobs. Though this is my first try to make one of those ideas to become a reality. I will begin by selling the following concept to increase workers’ productivity and reduce workers mistakes on their jobs. Some occupations, such as health care workers, require them to be sharp on the job. Medical mistakes can cost billions.
    If you were to google “exercise brain research,” you will find a lot of information on this subject. It shows whenever employees obtain some cardiovascular exercise throughout the day, they are at least 10-20 percent more productive and perform fewer mistakes on their jobs. It seems some exercise burns off negative brain chemistry. I would like to propose major employers, such as hospitals, to buy walking treadmill to be used in break rooms or conference rooms. Perhaps it could be suggested that these employers allow an extra 15 minutes per break per employee so they could burn off the negative brain chemistry. I believe if these employers purchase walking treadmills for their employees to use in break rooms or conference rooms, would save many times the costs of lower productivity and higher mistakes on the job without employees exercising during breaks.
    My business plan is as follow. I have seen stationary bikes and walking treadmills for as little as $100-300 on the internet (on a major retail discount store’s web site.) I would like to begin a new business to hire new people.
    First, I would need a marketing plan to contact major employers on the benefits of buying several walking treadmills for their employees’ break rooms or conference rooms.
    Second, I would need people to deliver these exercise equipment to major employers. Third, I would need people to assemble this exercise equipment. Forth, I would need to contact various DVD music people and DVD educational people to buy these DVDs for employees use while they are exercising.
    Due to medical reasons, I do not have much of an employment record. However, I believe I have the talents to problem solve many community challenges; including, developing creative ways to increase workers productivity such as the one mentioned above. I believe I can be a great asset for any organization. How do I get my career restarted?

April 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  5. Michael

There are so many people that want jobs they had before but were not qualified for. In the past companies could not find employees so they took what they could. Now they are being picky and paying less. I friend of mine said he wants a job getting $70 an hour. He has a GED, no formal training, no college. He is a renaissance man and delusional.

Cater your resume to the job
    Do not lie on it
    Only apply for jobs you are qualified for.

April 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  6. Marc

15 extra minutes of break??? if you only have one break a day employers might not like the fact your missing more time from a work day, also, I work out regularly and to change into workout clothers, get warmed up, and cooled down will take much more than fifteen minutes to even begin to burn calories. I do like the idea, employers need to invest in excercise rooms, and other faculty perks in order to keep employees happy and performing better but, i dont see the advantage of 15 minutes.

April 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  7. Elif Noell

I am a new graduate registered nurse and I am unemployed. Who thought that there would be a hiring freeze on nurses. Instructors and graduates are shocked because we were not prepared for this. Four years of nursing school-four years of hard studying to become nurses and follow our calling and nobody is hiring new grads!

April 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  8. Michael

Breaks, who gets breaks anymore?

Tell the authorities you are not gettin gbreaks and you lose your job.

You want more people hired, make overtime anything over 40 hrs a week, sundays 1.5 and doubletime for over 8 hrs and holidays a day a federal mandate and more people will get jobs. Don't forget this for part time workers too. Anything over 20 hrs a week and same sunday and holiday rules and more people will get hired.

April 2, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  9. Christina

What kind of jobs are being created? I'm sure this number could be spinned all over the place. There is very little new industry being established. As Elif stated above Nursing one of the supposed hottest careers to carry us into the future is frozen and many people who were in established long term jobs are working part time at retail outlets. That is not the same thing. As long as this country makes nothing and buys every other countries stuff we will be like this a long time.

Stop all this global trade! If we are loosing here then stop the trade.

April 2, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  10. Tony

Question for the 2pm EST segment on finding jobs. Can you give some advise on how to go about getting permanent government jobs.

April 3, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  11. Matt

How can an applicant enhance their employment chances when he/she has 1) shaped their resumes around a position's language and 2) omitted college-level education? I have a Masters degree – and I can't even find work as a housekeeper. I'd enjoy your insights.

Matt
    Flagstaff, Arizona

April 3, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  12. Jordan

I graduated college 2 years ago. Despite having a bachelor's degree, I have only been able to find work in a few temp jobs. On the few occasions I find a company hiring I putt in applications, send resumes, make phone calls etc. Unfortunately either I don't hear back, or when I call to check the status of my application they just tell me they don't discuss it. The few times I've been able to get a response as to why (either from a formal rejection letter/email, or from friends) its always been because I don't have the "experience" that they're looking for.

I've only been applying for the lowest level entry positions (secretaries, cashiers, customer service, data entry, etc.) not the higher level managerial or senior positions. So my question is: where do these companies expect me to get the experience for these low tier jobs?

April 3, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  13. David Cary

Dear Ms. Whitfield and CNN,

It's fantastic news that the economy is seeing some signs of life! Good news for today, something to fill the airwaves, and give people a little hope. Unfortunately, I am concerned even if we come out of the recession for a few years, there is a more fundamental structural component slowing working on the entire economic paradigm.

I am afraid no one is talking about it, and hence it is not being serious addressed by our leaders. Redistribution of wealth, socialism, nor capitalism are answers to what's on the long term economic horizon. If nothing is done, we will see the long term systemic loss of millions of more jobs, more poverty, and I suspect one day soon, a violent revolution.

If you think this is fatalistic, consider the symptoms your network reports on daily. I believe their are positive proactive solutions, but only if we start the conversation soon.

If you or your network are interested in leading this new discussion, please let me know.

April 3, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  14. Aaron B

I am a smart and dependable worker and I have been in and out of the Entertainment industry for the past 3 years. As of now I cannot find a solid position that will allow me to grow and move up in the company. I have worked with movie scripts, as a PA on a TV show and I have applied for several jobs that wont even give me an interview. Where can I go or what can I do to find a secure job? I can even see myself working for CNN if the right position came along! (hint hint)

April 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  15. Todd

I hope that my question can help some of the younger job seekers out there. I am an undergraduate student from California and I have just been offered two great job opportunities but am having trouble deciding which offer to take. I've been offered an internship at a highly respected company and also a rare opportunity to participate in undergraduate scientific research at my university. What sorts of things should I take into consideration in making this kind of decision?

April 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
  16. Nicholus

I'm currently on felony probation for a none violent offence. Currently I am 12 hrs. away from completing my bachelors of science in business management. Are there any job tips you can give me, considering the felony I have?

April 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  17. Chris Perkins

I recently graduated but because of some financial hardships I am still left with a balance on my tuition and now the school won't release my diploma until I settle my bill. When creating a resume, what should I say about my education? Do I still write that I have graduated or do I leave that out?

April 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  18. James

I am graduating from a grad program in May; How do I cover up my lack of real professional experience?

April 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  19. Jeremy DeMann

Hello, I finished college 2 years ago as of this month. I have been unemployed almost the entire time. I believe that my location is killing my opportunity to get into my field (3d art). I have a BFA from one of the top art colleges in the country and have applied to hundreds of businesses across the country. I am happy to relocate, but I am beginning to think that my location (rural Michigan) is the problem. I don't have any money, and live with my parents. What should I do, other than continue refining my skills?

Thank you for your time.

April 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
  20. Terrence

Fredricka
    Actually, I disagree with the consultant who just appeared on the 2 pm segment.

As a supervisor searching for a candidate who is the "right fit," I do not want potential candidates telephoning me with inquiries. The job descriptions are usually clear, and many institutions are using online human resource management software that require the necessary qualifications and skills.

I recommend that applicants always check the status of their applications before calling and annoying potential employers. Telephone calls to me about what is clear in the job description reminds me to delete that person from consideration. It simply means the persons has not conducted the proper research, lacks in initiative, and has not prepared a convincing application packet that would be considered.

She may wish to addres the points I have suggested.

April 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
  21. Mary H

How do you get around the "overqualified" objection. You can't pretend you're not when you've have thirty years experience. People 50 over need to make a living too, and not all can sling hash at the local diner or start a new business.

April 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm |