Today on CNN Newsroom

April 7th, 2010

Charging for Carry-On

First fees for checked baggage, and now fees for carry-on?

Spirit Airlines will be the first of major U.S. airlines to charge customers $45 for any bags placed in the overhead bin. But if you pay online in advance, it will cost you $30.  These fees will apply on any flight booked after August 1. Misplaced suitcases, long lines at baggage claim – but most importantly convenience are some of the many reasons why especially frequent travelers choose to bring carry-on.

Of course some items will be exempted from the carry-on fee, including umbrellas, coats, cameras, car seats, strollers, medicine, reading material and food for immediate consumption.

Our question to you: How much would you pay to bring carry-on baggage?

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Mahari

Soon it will be cheaper to fly without luggage and FedEx your luggage to your destination. This is ridiculous but people will pay it because they have no options.

April 7, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  2. Tom Gallub

How soon before they install pay toilets?

April 7, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  3. Scott Bornstein

I will gladly pay the $45!! As long as I fly free with my bag!

Scott B. Lakeland, FL

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  4. Sarah C.

Im shocked. However I did see it coming, only a matter of time. There's only one thing we can do now...CARGO PANTS! pockets pockets pockets.
    Can they charge for how many pockets you have or how much items you put in them. :)

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  5. Tom J

That's fine, let them charge for carry-on luggage. If people don't like it, they'll fly another airline. No harm, no foul.

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  6. michael armstrong sr.

I wouldnt pay them the time of day I would just simply choose another airline or else send my stuff by U.P.S.

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  7. Bernard Rock

No I am not ready to pay $45 dollars for carry on.. That is plain out right not cool.. It is bad enough that we have to pay for luggage in the first place.. Soon people is not going to want to bring luggage..

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  8. Joe

We should avoid flying airlines who try to charge us more, while their service gets worse and worse. It would unthinkable to do this in Europe or in Asia. If the airlines cannot manage their business, they should not hold the public for responsible.

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  9. Waskom

I wouldn't pay anything to bring a carry-on. Hopefully, there will always be an alternate to airlines who blatantly take advantage of their customers.

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  10. jerald

I wouldn't pay a dime. I would just fly on an airline who isn't charging that fee.

April 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  11. Mike m

These flks ought to give me $45 for putting up with lousy service, arrogant flight personnel and dirty air in the aircraft. If it is less than 8 hours away i won;t even consider flying – it just isn't worth the effort. Do you wonder why the airlines are going broke? LOL...LOL...LOL

April 7, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  12. Idaly

This is ridiculous, I can see the airlines' need to charge for luggage that is checked in, but now for carry on?? This is yet another reason why Southwest Airlines is the way to go regardless of their low budget reputation, I rather fly "low budget" than pay for bringing my luggage on a trip. I am sure they are not going to stop at $40, they are only going to keep increasing these fees.

April 7, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  13. Scott

I think it comes down to the total cost of the flight. I don't begrudge the company for trying to eek out every bit of revenue, but when I book my flights, I will really just have to start looking at all the costs when comparing any airline against the other. If Spirit offers a similar experience at a higher price, I will fly elsewhere. If they offer something unique, or allow for certain business-related travel benefits, I would consider paying more. I read yesterday that the current method of charging for checked baggage generates more than $2B, and obviously they want to continue to capitalize on alternative revenue generating opportunities.

April 7, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  14. Keith

I'm pretty sure that I can ship a carryon cheaper through UPS...

April 7, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  15. S.A.Brown

I think they all should charge, have you seen what they bring on board? Its about time!!!!!!

April 7, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  16. Timothy Ford

How far will un-bundling go? Free bathrooms, but charge you for toilet paper!

April 7, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  17. David

The airlines got it wrong by charging for checked in baggage. They should have all included charges for carry on luggage. Every flight one takes passengers cause cram roller suitcases into the overhead lockers and complain if they do not fit or if there is not sufficient room. The situation is crazy. I would have them and all of us pay at least $50 to stow suitcases in the over head lockers

April 7, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  18. Bruce Dow

Nowadays, people aren't bringing just "carry on" luggage onboard flights - they are bringing everything they own, just to avoid waiting at the luggage carousel. It's been ridiculous for way too long.
    Am all in favor of charging people for carry on. New York.

April 7, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  19. Ian Haines

I fell that, like most Americans, when the new train system is in place the Airlines will have a huge problem in general. A $45 charge will just be another reason not to fly. In China, Airlines are already having issues selling tickets with its newest high speed train. So in the final analysis let them charge; and when trains, like the Phoenix , rise again let them fall.

April 7, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  20. Aaron

I wouldn't like to pay anything! Its just a carry on bag. What's next? Charging people just to carry iPod's, iPad's and other portable devices on the plane?

April 7, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  21. Ryan Malham

Isn't it a red flag if you don't check a bag? What does it mean if you don't have a carry on?  Are they trying to encourage us to fly naked (to speed up security screening) then make us purchase our items when we arrive at our destination (to help redistribute the wealth)?

April 7, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  22. Sage E. Mathis

Kyra I'm absolute appalled, as a servicemember we are required to take the necessary items for survival abroad but for airlines to charge such a horrid amount is inconceivable. Twenty dollars maximum or perhaps a cap on the weight of a carry on should be a much better option on the travelling public. Can anyone say high speed rail?

April 7, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  23. Elaine

As a frequent business traveler who uses Southwest almost exclusively, I wouldn't pay a single cent for ANY luggage...and on Southwest, I don't have to.
    There's only one word for Spirit's actions....greed. I would rather WALK than fly Spirit EVER
    Go Southwest!!!

April 7, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  24. raistlon

There is no way that I would pay to carry luggage. I speak with actions and typically only fly Delta due to my platinum status where a lot of these misc fees don't apply to those with airline status. However, if I did choose to fly a discount carrier, Southwest would definitely be my airline of choice. I can only hope that Spirit doesn't charge its frequent fliers this fee, otherwise I could see them seriously driving away business by this decision and I could Southwest benefiting further.

April 7, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  25. Elizabeth

If I had to pay I wouldn't pay more then $15. But really, its almost becoming like highway robbery, people have to fly and most need to bring some luggage with them. Very few are the type of business traveler, who flies out and then comes back home in the evening. As these type charges currently apply largely to domestic flights only, I would become truly outraged if international flights started charging for carry ons and regular checked luggage, because that would be truly outrageous!

April 7, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  26. Xavier

You can't complaint about the airline(s) creating fees as they fit. The charges will keep escalating and sadly the other airlines will follow. Hey, America wanted de-rugaltion, there you go, de- for them and stick it for us. ;) Free Capitalism, God bless America !!!

April 7, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  27. Suzette Schepers

I wouldn't support an airline that starts charging like Spirit Airlines, they are going way too far. The CEO and top dogs are getting too greedy for my blood, I'll drive before I make the greedy bastards get richer. I think they are insensitive to the average person out here trying to make ends meet, it's obvious they don't have to make ends meet. Hopefully more people will boycott them and I would love to see them fly empty airplanes, they deserve what they reap.

April 7, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  28. Don Peterson

In my case, I will ship my carry-ons and checked luggage using UPS.
    The charge is less and I have the time to send using ground and
    my things will be at my destination when I arrive. A second advantage
    is that my trip through security will be much faster since there is nothing
    to check through!

April 7, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  29. Kevin

I would pay the hand luggage fee only if I know that the flight was much cheaper than other commercial airline.

April 7, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  30. Jeff B

Good! I hope it does spread. Too many people have too many giant "carry-ons". If I have to pay to check my luggage, they should have to pay even more to bring it on the plane. The excessive carrying on of luggage makes it take longer to get on and off and fills up the overhead bins, making it difficult to find space even for those with reasonable size carry-ons.

April 7, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  31. Willis Botney

The passengers have brought this on themselves. My husband and I travel often and I have watched many persons dragging two 21 inch suitcases and those large fold over cases stuffed to the hilt and push, shove, and take up an entire overhead bin. They bring them on board in order to avoid the $25.00 check on luggage fee. Shame on them. because they have caused this additional fee.

April 7, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  32. Bill

The first airline to break away from all these fees will be the first to start making money.

April 7, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  33. Matthew

Finally, change I can believe in... One of the largest bottlenecks during travel is waiting for people to get their bags through security. Unless you have a child or a company laptop, your bags should be in the cargo hold. I wish they would charge more.

April 7, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  34. Arete

This is ridiculous! I wouldn't pay ANYTHING to have carry-on luggage.

April 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  35. Yasmin

I will be shipping my clothes to my destination and carrying a large handbag with my most important items!Wow, this is not a great business practice! I will drive or maybe take the train!

April 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  36. Tim Ciciora

I travel a lot and I travel light. You would be amazed at how many people "push the envelope" as far as the carry-on policy. I can't believe the size of the suit cases that they try to stuff in the overhead. I think, "Are you that cheap that can't pay the check in fee?" I've lost count of the number of times my flights were delayed due to flight attendants either struggling to close those compartments or arguing with a passenger: "Sir, that won't fit in the overhead; you should have checked it." Maybe if the airlines would actually chech the size carry-on baggage prior to boarding, this wouldn't happen. Personally, I welcome this fee.

April 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  37. Sophia Foley

I do not agree with any airline charging passengers for carry on items. I just spent an additional $150 for 3 checked items on a recent trip for Spring Break. If this carry-on fee had been in efffect, with 3 items, my total baggage charge would be nearly $300! That is highway robbery! How do you expect people to travel? The airlines will go belly-up and people will stop flying because of corporate greed. This is insane!

April 7, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  38. tim

What's going to happen is a foreign air carrier is going to come in and operate without taking advantage of it's customers. Then after the American companies loose their customers, the new slogan will be "Fly American".

April 7, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  39. Rich

This is ridiculous! I would rather see a total fee when booking my flight and choose my carrier based on the fare. I don't want to see one cost for the flight and then additional fees for checked luggage, blankets and now carry-on luggage.

How about the competition that our free market is supposed to create? When one airline raises ticket prices or creates a new fee, they all follow suit. Does anyone really believe that they don't discuss this ahead of time and decide who's turn it is to be the first to raise prices?

Unfortunately, in our society, we can't just stop flying to send the message. When you let companies operate without Government controls, they take advantage of the general public. The airlines are in good companies with the Oil companies.

April 7, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  40. Tai

When are they going to install vending machines for their customers?

April 7, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  41. Adrienne Z

Absolutely NOTHING! Don't start charging us for things we don't trust in the general cargo, and for what we've been doing since flight began. If it's not broken, don't fix it! I hope this airline experiences a drastic loss of business because of this greedy, exploiting experimental decision.

April 7, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  42. Willis Botney

Passengers have brought this fee on themselves by dragging 2 large suitcases on board and put them in the overhead, instead of paying the $25 checkin fee. You see more and more persons doing this. The overhead bins were not intended for this. Shame on them.

April 7, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  43. James A.R. McFarlane

As a frequent traveler I would be more than pleased to see the number of bags that are brought into the cabin reduced. The large number of bags that are currently found in the cabin started in earnest when fees were initiated by the airlines for checked bags. It is to be noted that the list of non chargeable items computers and their cases are not listed. Regardless of all this I will move to a different airline before I would pay for a carry on. The deterioration of the airlines and the service they provide has reached new lows over the past decade.

April 7, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  44. courtney

For the time being I would fly with another airline that doesn't charge for a carry on and refuse to fly on Spirit all together!

April 7, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  45. Mark Silver

EASY SOLUTION: The airlines should simply charge a seat fee plus a fee for the total weight of the person plus everything they bringing onto the plane. It's not discrimination, since it's applied to everyone evenly, and it's weight that affects fuel consumption. Your check-in already gets weight. They'll just add a scale for passengers to walk over after their ticket is scanned at the gate (no need for an embarrassing display), and the passenger's credit card will be adjusted automatically.

April 7, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  46. Michele Gesell

Nothing....I would pay absolutely nothing. I have given up on airlines in general. I already make a car payment...so it doesnt cost me any extra to put luggage in my own trunk.....I can control the movie being shown in the backseat....I can control any "layovers" ( if any).....and if I choose to stop along the way....I can plan the stop around something of interest.

April 7, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  47. Daniels

For the last 10 years I have worked for the airline and have been forced to watch as people try to stuff there oversized bags, that should have been checked, into the bins. I truly hope that all airline jump on carry-on fee bandwagon. And for those who think that there to important to wait for their bags in baggage claim get over it.

April 7, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  48. Adrienne Z

What about the connecting flight? Do we have to PAY AGAIN to put the stuff we brought in the overhead bin? Is this going to be another double-whammy?

April 7, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  49. Marlon McCaulsky

Are they kidding me? That's it I'm walking.

April 7, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  50. Butch Jordan

Spirit Airlines have just gone too far. Their loyal customers will, undoubtedly, look elsewhere for their travel needs. Those of us who fly quite a bit, will take Spirit out of our search engines as a potential carrier. This opens the door for upstart airlines to take over a huge market share once owned by Spirit.

Take a good look at an airline committing suicide ....this truly is an example of that ...

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  51. Danny Pryor

This is insane, but the danger is the rest of the industry following suit. There's not really a way for the consumer to revolt against this kind of thing, unless only one or two airlines commit to these kind of charges. I find the idea of paying to use the overhead bin offensive. It's an insult to offer a low air fare, then charge for everything else, including carry-on baggage. Raise the air fare, eliminate the baggage costs, except for overweight items, and be realistic about what it costs to operate an airline. Or ... get out of the industry.

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  52. Adi

Ahh! You will be charged for your legs, hands are free for the time being.

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  53. Patricia Cheyne

Spirit Airlines new carry on fees are ridiculous! Carry on bags should be "paid for" under the exorbitant ticket fees we are already paying. As a frequent business traveler, I also find it insulting that baby gear is exempt, yet my laptop bag is not. These airlines are simply putting themselves out of business by tacking on all these additional charges. Online meetings will certainly become more popular in my future if this fee carries across to other airlines. Shame on Spirit! BAD customer service.

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  54. Traci

I'm in favor of this. I get so tired of how long it takes to get on and off of a plane because people think they have to carry all their worldly possessions onto a plane. Here is my alternative rule - if you can't lift your carry-on bag over your head (to put it in the overhead compartment yourself) - then it's NOT A CARRY ON!

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  55. Brian

So…$45 for carry-on. Next is paying to use the Lavatory on the plane, maybe even charging to process through the terminal? I understand times are tough, but come on!

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  56. George Mitchell

Charging for carry-on bags is the beginning of a good idea. The airlines should weigh everything being brought onto the plane; the suitcases, purses, laptops, even the passengers and compute fees based on total weight times miles travelled.

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  57. Jeni

I would be willing to pay the fee as long as the total cost of the flight is still the cheapest. I have been ok with airlines charging lower fees for the seat and then charging extra for things like water, pillows, etc. I'd rather choose what I pay for and use then be charged a higher ticket price and not need any of the extras. I will be looking closely at the costs before booking. I have a feeling Southwest will still be the best deal!

April 7, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  58. Mac

I think it is a great idea and about time. I hate getting on a plane with other people carrying on everything but the kitchen sink. They have all that room under where we sit, why be cramped in an already tight space. Now if they just relax or reduce the cost of checked luggage, maybe people will start using the area of the plane that was designed for storing luggage.

April 7, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  59. Barry Johnson II

This is absolutely uncalled for. Just another way for the airline company to squeeze an extra dollar out of us..what ever happened to customer service? Fly SOUTHWEST bags fly free :)

April 7, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  60. carol pattersojn

Pay? NOTHING! I will drive and be a danger to myself and others on the road - or I will stay home and visit places via the internet.

April 7, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  61. Brenda

I say charge for the carry on bag that is stowed in the overhead, but reduce the checked bag fee. Passengers who are busy filling up bins in the cabin with their belongings seriously hold-up boarding, and deplaning. Imagine how much nicer it would be to just go to your seat without watching packrats holding up the flow.

April 7, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  62. Bob

Everytime I see people bringing huge suitcases, etc., that clearly don't come under the category of carryon luggage, I immediately wonder why the people behind the check – in counter didn't do their job and insist that those items be checked. What this comes down to is that those of us who abide by the rules have to pay for employees not doing their jobs.

April 7, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  63. Paul G

I am a frequent traveler. I am in favor of any move the airlines take to curtail the baggage space horders. I always check my bags except for my laptop bag.

Several times, I have been asked by the stewardess to move my laptog bag out from the overhead compartment to make room for the bags of these people who haul their entire household with them.

I welcome this change. It is about time the airlines consider the comfort of persons who are a little more considerate of others.

Paul

April 7, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  64. Gokhan Cukurova

this is unacceptable.

they have to admit that they don't know how to run the biz. This is the richest country on earth, almost everyone can afford flying to any domestic destination versus poorer countries only the elite can fly.
    so they say the operating is too expensive?
    S T O P lying! Just say I want more and more money. They have not improved the fleet quality, planes stink, seats are dirty, hardly ever on time on bigger airports, charge for a stupid pretzels and the list goes on.
    now $45 more!!!!
    It is simple guys, go to Europe where the fuel is 3 times more expensive than here and see how clean their planes, how they run their biz.
    L E A R N!

I will fly with whoever gives me more for my money!

April 7, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  65. tian

I actually agree with this fee. I travel alot, and like good deals to travel like anybody else. But what is so annoying is other travelers, bringing their 2 week trip in the overhead bins. haha.. This fee, would make people check their bags, cut down on boarding delays, which could mean less time taxiing to take off, maybe even a faster overall flight.

April 7, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  66. Lis Shepard

I fly all over on Southewest because 2 bags up to 50 pounds each are free. I travel for racewalking and bring my own food in one bag. I carry on my race clothes. I carry on only that which I can't easily replace. I am completely blown away the amount of junk people bring on or the fact they are bringing on luggage then get irritated when there is no room for it. Check your bag. Wait for it at the other end. And spend more time bathing and not dousing yourself in perfume/cologne!

April 7, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  67. Mark

Dear Spirit Airlines:

I think the $45 charge to use the overhead bins is great but why stop there?? Why not charge just to board the plane, like a cover charge or better yet, why not install pay toilets??

Keep up the good work and please sign me up for your frequent flyer program right away!!

April 7, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  68. Steve G

Would I pay $45 for a carry-on? It depends- if their fare + $45 is still cheaper than other airlines, then why not?

April 7, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  69. Dusty

When they started charging for "checked bags" a large number of people began taking advantage of bringing things on board and putting them in overhead bins to avoid the checked bag fee. By charging a higher fee for carry on bags, people will pay the lesser checked bag fee now and wont be filling bins with oversized suitcases that should be checked anyway.

If the airline personnel actually enforced the carry on size restrictions and made people who had oversized bags or too many bags go back and check them, then this might not have happened.

April 7, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  70. Jerri Sweeney

I do not fly very often but I started checking my small bag because of all the people who abused the carry on rules. Full sized suitcases and duffle bags the size of hockey bags shoved into the overhead taking up all three spaces. If you get to the seat after that is shoved into the overhead then your luggage goes anywhere they can find a space. Now getting off the plane is backed up as people try to find where their overhead pieces are located, usually far behind where they are seated. I also blame the airlines for not policing their policies since they wrote the guidelines. I think it was inevitable that charges would be a reality.

April 7, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  71. Rick

We have been faithful Spirit customers. We are planning a trip in he next 2 weeks and others in the next few months. We were planning to fly Spirit. Chage in plans. Now we are driving. By-By Spirit...

April 7, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  72. Sal

Soon they'll be charging for the oxygen you breathe in the cabin. If you use it...you buy it!

April 7, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  73. Jesse Oliver Jr.

Airlines fees have increased over the years...bags did not cost..now they do: A fee for carry-ons? Boycott the airlines and see how quick all the fees are dismised...

April 7, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  74. Gokhan Cukurova

I agree, a lot of ppl try too big stuff on the over head bins to avoid the wait at the luggage claim, take too much space.
    this could be prevented by placing measurement bins next to the Self-Check In machines. If your carry on is too big you'd have too choices:

check in

or we will check in right before you step onto the plane, we will fine you!

believe me, this would work!

April 7, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  75. Scott Stodden

Kyra I think the price is resonable but why do people who fly have to keep paying more? Airline tickets are already out of this world when it comes to pricing, then you have to pay for your luggage to be checked in and etc...! Its just amazing that everybody is being charged outrageous prices just to fly.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

April 7, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  76. Elinor

This is crazy. The airlines don't enforce the rules about the size of what goes in the overhead bins, so people take advantage in order to avoid the checked baggage fees. This is just another way to charge for something that people can't really do without. Not planning to fly Sprint any time soon, but at this point, NEVER!

April 7, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  77. Tricia

Personally I think this is becoming ridiculous. They already charge an arm and a leg for the ticket itself. Then the airlines started charging for bags to placed in the lower compartment. Now......holy smokes! The overhead too?? This HAS got to stop. I have not flown in about 5 years and I refuse to pay this crazy amount to get from point A to point B. If I can drive I will.
    Tricia from Kansas

April 7, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  78. michael armstrong sr.

Thats too bad the carry on's are the only baggage that can make it to it's destination without getting lost .

April 7, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  79. clyde hudson

It's about time the airlines are wising up! The amount of luggage people carry on is ridiculous! They should charge the same for carry on as they do for checked!

April 7, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  80. Daniels

As an airline employee most people brought this on themselves. If they would have checked their bags in the first place the airline would not have had to take this step. Make up your mind America you can have cheap tickets or top level service not both.

April 7, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  81. Kevin

The airlines can tack on all the extra charges they want because when I take my family on our next vacation I will drive. I will turn the drive into part of the vacation experience by eating at places we don't normally eat, staying at motels with swimming pools etc. These new fees make the drive that much more affordable. I also find driving through Atlanta less stressful that getting three children and our baggage through security at the airport.

April 7, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  82. Carmen

Kyra,

Enough! Airlines have taken advantage of passengers, and charging us for carrying our own bags onto the flight is going TOO FAR!!!

Passengers need to reclaim their power and begin carpooling, taking trains, Skypping, or just staying home so that big business realizes that the pimping of the consumer must stop!! We are exhausted at the excesses that we don't get to take advantage of. We are penalized for everything. We are taxed, fined, ticketed, stickered, increased, upsaled, rounded up, foreclosed, sold and tossed out of everything and everywhere. We the consumer are outraged, broke and tired, and now we have to not only pay for the seat to stretch our legs, but wear all of our clothes at the same time, so we don't have to pay to put them in the correct size bag and carry them onto the plane we bought the ticket for!! When does our break come? Oh, right, we should be glad we're breathing. Oh, I don't have enough for the electric bill. Maybe I can't go uncle's funeral. Can't afford to bury him. Needed that money to pay for preexisting...

April 7, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  83. Rich Spry

As for the carry-on charge, people should figure in drive time when I come to visit!!!

April 7, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  84. Gayle Sellers

People should avoid airlines that pull this stunt like the plague. Yes, we may have to fly, but we could do boycotts. Airlines need to price the tickets as to costs for their operations. Then people can check prices and determine which carrier to choose. All these schemes to tack on added costs are ridiculous!

April 7, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  85. Cheryl W

Increased fuel costs was the original reason the airlines gave for adding additional charges. But when fuel prices dropped, the fees remained. By charging for checked luggage instead of carry on luggage, the airlines have created a nightmare at both the security lines and during the boarding process. Passengers now try to avoid fees by carrying on unbelievable amounts of luggage and items. I suspect Spirit Airlines didn't bother to consult their marketing department before making the decision to charge for all luggage. I suspect they could have made the same amount of money by increasing their ticket costs by a few dollars and avoided the outrage. If the other airlines are stupid enough to implement these charges, I think it will backfire on them. I will ship my luggage before I'll pay the airlines to fly it for me. After all, at least with FedEx or UPS, I know my luggage will arrive at my destination.

April 7, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  86. Julie

Four people in this room say...FedEx, UPS, DHL, are you watching/listening? We see a business opportunity. Go get em!

April 7, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  87. ross

As a flight attendant for a major carrier, I completely support the charge for carry-on bags. The size, amount and weight of carry-on bags has gotten out of control causing injuries to flight attendants,delays because of last minute check-ins at the gates and hold-up boarding because passengers are busy trying to stuff their over-sized bags in the overhead bins. Passengers should be allowed 1 free checked bag and charged for carry-on bags.Elite airline members will be allowed 1 free carry-on.This will eliminate problems during boarding and make for a smoother deplaning.Another problem with carry-ons is some people can't physically put them in the overhead and expect the flight attendants to do it.There is a reason it's called a carry-on, you pack it , you stow it..

April 7, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  88. Hope

I totally agree with Mark Silver's post: EASY SOLUTION. Every passenger should be weighed with all baggage and charged accordingly since weight affects fuel cost. As others have noted, it is ridiculous what passengers are bringing on as their free carry-on bags. It should be mandatory that those who carry-on are the last to exit the plane. We who pay and check our bags are tired of waiting on passengers who stuff their free over-sized bags in the overhead bins and then hold up the line trying to dislodge it. RUDE!

April 7, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  89. Daniel

Don't be giving the airlines any suggestions, they might start charging for it. Why don't they just raise the air fares?

Daniel ... Toronto, CANADA

April 7, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  90. bev mcenany

the people that are complaining the loudest are the ones that abused the carry-on service the most–shame on them!

April 7, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  91. marion

There is an easy solution to the passenger-luggage-weight issue. Each passenger should be given a maximum cabin weight allotment beyond which extra charges would kick in. You could use the allotment for personal body fat, photographic equipment, heavy woolen clothing – whatever you choose.

April 7, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  92. Arete

They should check to make sure the carry-on baggage is within the limit BEFORE/WHILE we pass security to avoid people taking in large luggage if it's such a problem, rather than charging. But this doesn't really affect me, I have never heard of Spirit Airlines and I try to only fly Southwest.

April 7, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  93. Dan

Kind of like the price of gas going up.
    AMERICA, do you know if the whole nation boycotted the airlines and gas stations on the same day for an entire day how fast they would change their policy? Do you realize how much money these industries would lose with no business for 1 entire day?
    Any takers?

April 7, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  94. Carl

Charge eveyones baggage fees to Michael Steele cause Steele gets away with stealing anyway so who will notice.

April 7, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  95. Jim

I have used Spirit Airlines from flights from Cancun on numerous occasions. I emailed the airline this morning to inform them that I will no longer need their services and would advise my associates and friends to do the same. There is a limit to what consumers will tolerate and Spirit has just exceeded that limit. When they ask for a federal bailout..all consumers should remember and tell congress to refuse.

April 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  96. Donna Shegonee

It is greedy airlines like this that have made my decision to no longer patronize the Airline industry. They seem to think it is ok to slap people in the face when they are down. I think a Boycott is in order, its time we send a message to the greedy airlines, there are other options (drive, Amtrak or even Greyhound) I personally refuse to give my business to those that don't treat me like they appreciate it.

April 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  97. Richard A. Lawhern, Ph.D.

How much will I pay for carry-on baggage? ZERO - and I will boycott any airline that is damn fool enough to emulate this outrage by Spirit Airlines.

April 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  98. Gail Loyd

Do they imagine I can travel far enough to justify taking a plane and not need a change of underwear and a pair of pajamas? This has to constitute false advertising. The real cost of the ticket is the cost of your airfare and your luggage. Weight is a factor in the very high cost of airline tickets. But the individual weight allowance surely ought to include a carryon bag, a briefcase, and an overcoat at a minimum.

April 7, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  99. crab fisherman from washington state

Quit complaining. Reagan broke the air traffic controllers union, de-regulated the airlines,and set up the blueprint for no control and tax breaks for the future. Try flying Seattle-Dutch Harbor,AK. $750. one way.That doesn't include any and all extra charges they can screw you out of.What will it take before everyone begins to hang together and solve these problems, or hang separately and keep getting shafted?

April 8, 2010 at 7:01 am |
  100. sandy creed

Incredible! I have often seen people who wanted to carry on bags having to check them at the gate - not because their carry on was too large according to standards, but because the plane was too small to allow anything other than a medium sized purse in the carry on bins. Will they charge me if my shoes are too big? I will avoid any airline that charges for carry on luggage. I bet this idea came out of a brainstorming session and someone forgot to toss that sticky note in the trash.

April 8, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  101. John Tyler Erie, Pa

When the airlines started charging for checked bags people started carrying larger carry on bags. This caused the overhead bins to be over stuffed and not always enough room for all passengers to use the space allotted for their seat. I have seen the bins pop open during flight. I would rather have them increase the price of the ticket and deduct at the time of check in if you don't have any bags to check in or put in the overhead. This could be done easily for those that paid by credit card and for those that pay in cash the price of the fair would be less or given a mail in voucher.

April 8, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  102. pjcintc

Airlines are trying to "increase" revenue. I think they are going about it the wrong way - increase the rates and not implement baggage charges. Although, the baggage situation on airlines has gotten "overdone" - people are carrying on "suitcases" instead of checking them. A charge for "excess" bagage would probably be the best solution - and enforce the rules on the size of carry on luggage.

April 8, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  103. Phillip Assenmacher

They are going to have a large seat cleanning bill if the charge for using the loo.

April 8, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  104. Jennifer

I think that the air lines need to make flying affordable and comfortable if they want people to continue to travel. if it costs 50$ to take your personel items which are all ready limited on what you can bring with you by the air ports, that it may be cheaper to replace the items at your destination then to bring them along.

April 8, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  105. John L

The airlines are quick to add fees, but they are fooling no one-we can add. Want to stop overcrowded overhead bins? Stop charging to check luggage-boost the fare. Who can travel without luggage-it comes with the territory. Just raise the price and stop the nickle and dime childishness. We aren't that dumb – we still add all the costs when making our flying decisions.

April 8, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  106. Stephen Tzankoff

How about per pound, both luggage and passenger?

April 8, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  107. NEIL BROADBENT

UK's BMI and Canada's Air Transat weigh ALL of your luggage and charge accordingly

April 8, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  108. Annette Feldman

We are little people–a family of 5 ranging in weight from 95 lbs to 150 lbs. It has always bothered me that if one of our bags is over 25 lbs we get dinged for the same charge as the 250 pounder stuffed in the seat next to me. I am invariably the one asked to accommodate larger passengers by "volunteering" to take the middle seat.

Airlines argue they need to charge more because weight increases cost of expensive jet fuel? How about variable pricing based on the total weight one bring to the plane–including oneself? Would be logical.

April 8, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  109. James

Finally, I have been waiting for the airlines to start charging for large carryon luggage. I check my bags about 90% of the time...but when boarding I have to wait, and wait, and wait while the flight attendents scramble up on down the aisle trying to accomodate and fit in all of the large luggage everyone carries on.

There is never enought room for me to put a backpack or computer bag in the overhead...because it is PACKED with all of the large bags people carry on.

I hope all airlines start to chage for large carry ons. To me it means faster boarding and more space on the flight for true "carryon" items.

Eveyone keeps crying about all of tha assesorial fees the airlines are charging. I have a soution for them – "then don't fly!". Less lines and more space for me.

James

April 8, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  110. Mike T

I believe this will play Spirit right out of the market, if you factor an additional $60-90 roundtrip, thier prices are no longer as competitive, especially to sit in seats that are so tight that your knees maybe be right up by your ears.

April 8, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  111. Kevin

I wondered how long it would be before an airline starting charging for the overhead bin and despite the uproar, I'm sure that the other airlines will soon follow suit. I pretty much gave up flying once they began charging fees for luggage; this latest move only reaffirms my decision and I may never fly again.

April 8, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  112. William Chornooky

The airlines are missing the boat on refining their fare structure. They are carrying a form of cargo, that is human, and most carriers charge by the weight and distance. As the current fares are primarily based on a seat distance factor, they could reasonably employ a surcharge based on the total weight of the passenger and all their luggage. This could be determined at check in by having all checked baggage and the weight of the passenger and their carry ons weighed. Beyond a set passenger luggage average total weight, ticket adjustments could be applied.. This would provide a rational and justifiable basis for a surcharge and possibly a credit on the ticket. This would probably be challenged by the civil liberties organizations as discriminating against obese people when fares would be based of their weight. To compensate, they could always carry less luggage.

April 8, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  113. maze1gerald

Because of all the headache of security searches and apparent hostile attitude toward passengers from the security people at the airports I wouldn't dare travel by jet,I'd rather drive ,my 2005 chevy impala has enough luxury for me trave cross country.I know those guys at cnn has those big traiways buses.

April 8, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  114. Gary

How much would I pay? Not a dime! They need to price their tickets to cover their costs in line with market conditions. This kind of nickle and dollar stuff is out of hand. I wouldn't fly Spirt under any conditions. Apparently they have lost the spirt

April 8, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
  115. nina

I agree ..............the airlines should strict for those people who carry to many bags / huge bag as a carry on bags . Many times I didn't have room for my own small carry on bag cause my seating number is the last .

April 9, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  116. Nolan H. Goldberg

If an airline wishes to charge for something and that charge is disclosed prior to customer purchase, so be it. One may choose another vendor, method of baggage delivery, or mode of travel.

April 12, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  117. Bill

First, read the new policy! The ticket prices have been reduced by $40. The only people who will be charged $45 are the ones who insist on paying for the bag at the gate. If you pay at the kiosk, $30. If you're a club member, $20. Personal items are not subject to a charge. So, if you want to take your carry on, pay for it when you check in. Something needs to be done about the carry on madness. Either the airlines need to enforce the size regulations or they need to charge fees. I have this to say about the representative from NY – learn to read and listen.

April 12, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  118. Chester Bickerstaff...Arcadia Florida

Hi Tony: I'm sure that what President Obama said on TV a couple of weeds ago would solve ALL our money problems. Change the cut off point of paying into Social Security to $250,000 and start paying back when your income reaches a million. I have cut my gas consumption in half because I am retired and living on a fixed income. If everyone who makes more than a million dollars or more had to pay on all their income, just think of all the money it would generate. I live on less than $50,000 a year myself, so I think anyone should be able to live on a milion or more. I have been saying this for years and heard Obama say it on TV a couple of weeks ago. If we did that maybe 1% of the people in the United States wouldn'tg control 90% of the money.
    If we could take a vote for the people and by the people on this matter, I'm sure the 90% would win. thanks, I watch your show all the time

April 13, 2010 at 11:30 am |
  119. Michael...Fort Lauderdale

Spirit Airlines nickels and dimes its passengers every step of the way, and–believe it or not–denies any obligation to get its passengers to their destinations within any particular timeframe. They also deny responsibility for the inconvenience or costs incurred by stranded passengers as a result of their delays and cancellations due to any reasons, including "mechanical problems". I wonder whether they cut corners on aircraft maintenance, too?
    Before anyone even thinks about flying on Spirit, I strongly recommend a thorough read of their entire Contract of Carriage!! On a recent round trip from Fort Lauderdale to Washington D.C., both my outbound and return flights were canceled at very short notice. The only options offered by Spirit were alternate flights 2 days later than those for which I was ticketed and confirmed, or a refund. Worse yet, any attempts to reach customer service were met with unconcerned, rude and dismissive attitudes, and when I asked the customer service representatives and supervisors for their names, on several occasions, I was 'disconnected' every time. Consequently, I had to book a new outbound flight at my own expense–within a few hours of departure, which was not cheap.
    When my return segment was canceled, my anger-driven determination and unconventional methods enabled me to reach some emplyees at the head office in Miramar, who said there was nothing they could do. When I insisted that I would call and/or visit every member of Spirit's board (the names and addresses of companies and their management and directors are public record!), and take news crews to the airport, they agreed to my demands: a $100 credit for each canceled flight (why would I fly with them again?) and paid tickets on other airlines for all their passengers stranded by that canceled flight. They also assured me they would pay for overnight hotel accommodations, but failed to contact me as they had promised regarding the name and location of the hotel; no surprise!
    As for the comment on in-flight pay toilets, I believe they have already implemented them on European airline RyanAir.
    Bottom line: discount airlines like Spirit may not get you to or from your destination, and can cost substantially more than non-discount airlines!

September 24, 2010 at 11:48 am |