Today on CNN Newsroom

April 8th, 2010

Nike's New Tiger Ad

Set to air on the eve of Tiger Woods’ return to golf, the Nike advertisement features the voice of the golfer’s late father Earl, who wants to know if his son learned his lesson.

Nike Inc. is one of few sponsors to stand by Woods following the November car crash which sparked revelations of multiple affairs.

Our question: What do you think of the Nike ad?

We’ll share some of your comments on air in the CNN Newsroom, 11am ET – 1pm ET.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips • Tony Harris
  1. Octavio Diaz

You nailed it, Kyra. My first thought also was of Obi-Wan talking to Luke or Jor-El talking to Superman. I think the video/ad/act of contrition is a pathetic attempt for forgiveness. I wonder how his wife feels about the video. It just goes to show, if you are rich or have the right sponsors, you can get away with anything!

April 8, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  2. Martha Sangazure

I was most distressed and disturbed to view the new Tiger Woods Nike ad. Not only is Tiger's marital infidelity unbecoming of a spokesperson, but now he allows Nike to exploit his dead father!?! I am truly shocked and horrified by the lack of taste displayed. I would never, ever buy another Nike product unless I heard a full-blown apology for this blatant garbage pushed in our faces.

April 8, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  3. Brian Cole-Fitzpatrick

Hi Kyra

I have to say that this Tiger Woods infidelity story has tipped so far off the radar
    it makes me sad. The fact that he committed the act itself is one thing, and something that he and his wife should have to deal with and nobody else. The idea that the general population has to continually rant and express their own views over this is worse. It's unbelievable how "Perfect" all our lives are when we are informed of a Crack in the armour of a high ranking individual in society. Tiger is a person who was given a natural talent and also worked his life to be where he is today.
    I'm sure that most of us across North America have done many things in our own lives that we'd love to sweep under the carpet and can, because we're not held up on a pedestal like Tiger.

I'm sure that Nike approached Tiger with the idea of this add to make an amens in some way for the loss of revenue they have incurred over the past 4 months. Tiger is more then likely grasping at straws to right his life as he knew it in his own mind, to win back his fans (Not that he has to as he owes all of us nothing).
    I am not an avid Tiger Woods fan but do work in the Sports Broadcasting industry in Toronto, Canada. This may be why I have had it with this circus of events being constantly updated.

Let the man do what he does best and leave it at that.

Sincerely
    Brian Cole-Fitzpatrick

April 8, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  4. Rich

The ad looks cool. It's not exactly creative in the classic sense, but it'll stop people and make them watch. Unfortunately, it all falls apart from there. The message is so wrong... and the delivery is borderline creepy. This ad doesn't say he's sorry. Tiger and Nike are using the scandal (and, perhaps worse, Tiger's dead father) to their own benefit. Shame on Tiger. Shame on Nike. If this "works", I fear it'll spark a wave of celebrity spokesperson apology ads, each one more vile than the last. No longer will endorsement deals be endangered by dalliances... unfortunately dalliances will be endorsed.

April 8, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  5. Scott Stodden

Kyra I just don't like the ad its creepy and weird! Tiger Woods no matter what is wrong and no matter what he tries to do I can never support him the way I used to, I won't be watching The Masters and I don't care about Tiger Woods because anyone who would treat there wife and kids the way he has is unforgivable, you just don't do what he did, Tiger and Jesse James should get together for dinner!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

April 8, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  6. Chris Paladino

Most tasteless commercial in history. Using your mentor and dead fathers voice to help repair your image and sell more product is something only Nikw would do. Make no mistake- THIS IS AN AD! This is not some independently produced PSA just for Tiger's image- it is to get him and Nike back on track so consumers keep buying their gold equipment- no shame.

April 8, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  7. Carla Padgett-Morris

I think this is a very positive ad. By having to think about how their actions will be perceived by their parents, their grandparents, or others that they love and respect. No child wants to knowing hurt those that they love. No child wants their family to be ashamed of them or their actions. A very powerful message to our children saying to think be before you act, or "Look before you leap". WTG Tiger and NIKE!! And good luck at the Masters!

April 8, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  8. Bob in Seattle

It's awkward and weird, and it doesn't exactly help Tiger's image if he's profiting from his behavior by accepting payment for this ad. But, it's undeniably good marketing for Nike, as everyone is talking about it.

April 8, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  9. Eric

Wow I was cracking up when you said "I guess Nike can't use the slogan Just Do It with Tiger anymore." Made my day Kyra.. news babes forever!!

April 8, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  10. michael armstrong sr.

It was nice that Tiger's daddy came back from the dead to promote his little boy in his quest for the masters but this movie is getting old .

April 8, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  11. Alan Bissett

The Tiger Woods story has gone to far, he is a golfer not a world leader or someone that is making changes in our world. HE PLAYS GOLF A GAME. Let him play the game and lets move onto bigger problems that need to be solved.

April 8, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  12. Butch Jordan

The ad is awkward and makes me feel like i'm listening to a private conversation ...the most private conversation between father and son. The kind of conversation that should stay private and just between father and son.

To use this ad to make money cheapens the image and the message behind what his father was trying to say....Fathers should always say ...what did you learn? Hold your kids to a standard that requires them to think. Parents don't have the answer, you just send them into the world and hope for the best ...

April 8, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  13. Nancy

The Nike ad is dreadful. Tiger's father was
    a womanizer through and through. Nike
    should have been aware of this. This is
    hypocrasy at it's worst.

April 8, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  14. Elinor Bowles

I believe this ad is simptomatic of the growing complexity and confusion of our society. As a commercial, it is in extremely poor taste and reveals the lengths our money-driven society will go to try to capitalize on any aspect of an individual's life. However, the words of Tiger's father are amazingly appropriate for Tiger personally to hear, and I am curious how Tiger felt upon hearing them. I personally was moved at his father's prescience. I believe, however, that it is time to stop the public discussion about Tiger's personal transgressions and let him (1) publicly resume his professional golf career and (2) privately try to continue to heal himself and his family. This continued focus on Tiger's pathological behavior reveals as much, or more, about the sickness of us all as it reveals about Tiger's personal demons.

April 8, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  15. dc

hey Kyra great response to people who question you airing gay issues.
    I have watched you and many cnn (ERS) for years - MY perception is you are honest – direct and very supportive of ALL people– Gay issues can be uncomfortable for many and I commend you for discussing them on your show. i am a gay person who understands , that discussing our differences can bridge this gap.
    KEEP up the great work

April 8, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  16. Larry Kurbatoff

Kyra:

Wow, great commentary about the respect for all people, regardless of their gender.

Larry Kurbatoff
    Bermuda Dunes, Ca.

April 8, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  17. Tim Mannix

This commercial is entirely in line with the way Tiger has continually mishandled this fiasco. It neither elevates empathy nor alleviates the public's disgust for Tiger.

I do hope Tiger’s recovery will produce and adult versus the spoiled child we’ve had to endure of late. Frankly, it's a waste of perfectly good airtime.

April 8, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  18. bruce w miller

His father has passed,therefore his comment is irrelevent. The price of tiger woods discusting behavior will echo thru the fans watching hin.
    If I was there I would be booing.
    Playing exceptional golf doesn't negate his problem.If I was a member of the USGA he would be banned from playing golf in the usa.There is a defenite professional image associated with the profession.
    Why did the USGA allow him to return to golf?

April 8, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  19. marisa pullia

I think its in bad taste but it it's OK with his mom then its Ok with me.

April 8, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  20. Joan Kelly

I believe it shows Tiger will do virtually anything for Tiger. Isn't making much progress in therapy. Tiger it's not about you.

April 8, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  21. shannon bruch

Tigers new add
    What a stud figure for nike

April 8, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  22. A. Doughty

Reminds me of when my father chastised us. Shows the respect of a son for father's advice AND father's concern for son's mental state.

April 8, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  23. David

"he who hath no sin should throw the first stone-" so says the Bible. All these rabid people should leave Tiger alone and get on with their own lives.EVERYBODY has a dark secret hidden in the corner of their lives. Tiger did not commit murder, he committed adultery and that should be between him and his family.Parents should be role models for their children and not expect a super star to fill the void.

April 8, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  24. Justin Foley

Who wants to buy a product that is linked to sinful sexual debauchery? The ad is a clear, however sad, attempt to show Tiger's repentance of his actions and redeem his image.

April 8, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  25. Scott Smith

I think we're in the middle of 2 wars and a second Great Depression. Our president is ordering the assassination of US citizens and we're on the verge of starting another war with Iran. Our troops are killing civilians and reporters with Apache helicopters and North Korea might have a nuke.
    Tiger Wood's sex life isn't News Tony. Start acting like a journalist.

April 8, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  26. NEIL

When are you Americans going to grow up? This guy decided he was a 'star' and so could do anything he wanted. So what? Big deal. Why on earth splash it all over the 'news'? He did it, he got caught-end of story. But no-we get the hiding from everyone, the silence, the rehab (what a joke), the 'apology' (should have just said OOPS) and then the big comeback and on and on and on. One word for all of it--–BORING!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  27. Mary Graham

We deliver too much double-talk in this country. We've said we want Tiger to open up to his fans. He's showing you where his focus trully is these days....reflecting on the positive role models and the advise he received from them. How much more open can he be? I think he's saying...I'm for real! I'm open! I say good on Tiger and good on Nike for allowing him the venue! For the rest of us, I say take it or leave it!

April 8, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  28. Nancy

Tiger says his family is off limits to the media, yet he's using his father's death to resurrect his image.

April 8, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  29. Taryn

This video does strike me as a bit strange in the fact that it seems that it is not an ad at all. There is no product being displayed and promoted. Instead I see a remorseful and sad faced man whose father is verbally reprimanding him in front of the world. I personally do not care one way or the other about Tiger's personal life and I believe it to be his business and his alone but this is a strange medium in which to be asking for forgiveness. I thought a Nike ad would show sports equipment/products of some sort and the spokesperson telling the world in one form or another how great it is. Perhaps I am wrong about advertisement this year though.

April 8, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  30. Tony J.

If this was Tiger's idea, maybe i can understand. Admonish himself on tv in an ad, he doesn't have to keep apologizing. But what does "NIKE" get out of this? He's not 'doing' anything!!! Sounds like a money deal: Tiger keeps a great sponsor, gets creative control on 1 maybe 2 ads and 'NIKE' pays a little less for it's biggest cash cow

April 8, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  31. Gerry C

Terrible. Tiger and Nike are using his father to garner sympathy for Tiger. That's pretty low, to drag his deceased father into the picture. But then again, poor tiger is a victim of his "sexual addiction."
    My parents had 6 children. They never went to therapy for their sex addiction.

April 8, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  32. Dillon

From the start of this circus the majority of people I talk to couldn't care less about what Tiger or any other celeb does in their personal life. You in the media seem to want to keep this whole thing alive for some reason. The dead horse has been beaten beyond recognition. NOBODY CARES!
    GET OVER IT SENSATIONALIST MEDIA!

April 8, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  33. gundi mcclarin

how many times does a person need to say "i'm sorry" ?

this continued public flogging is now bordering on a sadistic circus act
    i know tiger did wrong. but some of the same finger pointers have their own dirty linen to air.

the nike ad is rediculous! i think tiger should put his foot down and say enough already. no amount of money or sponsor ads is worth the continued public humilitation.

April 8, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  34. michael armstrong sr.

I hope Tiger losses so the media will report about something else .

April 8, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  35. Jean Williams

I saw the ad last night, and thought it was very stupid. Nike must be really desperate. The thought of Tiger Wood's Father speaking to him about the problems he is having is absurd. Nobody wins with this one !

April 8, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  36. Bradley

The commercial tries to deliver an emotional and remorseful message; however, I think the commercial was created strictly for monetary incentives. Nike wants to protect its brand image. Tiger Woods does not want to lose anymore endorsements.

April 8, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  37. Josh Isenhart

I've never really followed golf but I know enough about Tiger Woods. This seems very distasteful. I've lost all respect for Nike for throwing money at a cheater. I've seen all the interviews he has done since his accident and he has not convinced me that he feels remorse for his actions. With him trying to sell himself more than save his marriage I really have no desire to participate in anything featuring Tiger.

April 8, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  38. michael armstrong sr.

I love the second commercial .

April 8, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  39. Phil Hamilton

Nike must have offered tons of money for Tiger to sell his soul. The ad is disgusting to say the least.

April 8, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  40. C Babb

not so much creepy as it is profound. i'm sure Tiger remembers much of his father's words, and this is the most intimate view Tiger has allowed us. he probably reflects his father's words often.

April 8, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  41. Kansas City woman

Why is this country soooo absorbed in someone else's personal decisions? If Tiger was a champ from another country, we would hear nothing about this. And I'm curious...there was a short stint regarding Michael Jordan's sexual life, but he was never put through the ridiculous gauntlet of on-your-knees-begging-forgiveness from the public. If anything, it just gave Michael more street cred. Nike forcing Tiger into such a public spanking is beyond their right to control ANYONE'S life.

April 8, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  42. Ehisuoria Isi-Omoigberale

The ad in all is rarity, is a definition of corporate social responsibility, I think the ad was well thought and engaging. It is of paramount interest that we all the see the lessons that emerge from being human. The positive impact the ad is having is history at its finest hour.

April 8, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  43. arlene marie

The Nike ad is fine. The only thing Tiger owes the public is a good game of golf and that he has always done. It is not anyone's business or concern what he does after golf.

If Nike and Tiger wants this ad aired, it is their decision. If anyone does not like it,, then do not watch it.

This is about golf not judgment.

April 8, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  44. MarlonB

I like this Nike Ad. I believe that there is a significant number of Nike users that have probably had similar problems, maybe even currently have them, who can get something important out of this message. Perhaps something to lift their spirits, and make them see that we all make mistakes, and we can all get back up.

April 8, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  45. Jeannette Acree

I think bringing his dad into his mess is a sad thing. I.m sure his father would have set him straight.
    I am also tired of listening to anything about Tiger Woods. Poor excuse for an "idol"

April 8, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  46. alice

first nike should dump tiger. any company sponsoring tiger is a looser and user. tiger only looks worse to the public when companies exploit him in advertising. lets face it; tiger messed up very badly he needs to let time heal the crime. his morals are obviously not what americans want to see represented on tv.

April 8, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  47. pat

Excellent marketing, got attention.

Tiger can play golf, that's a fact.....but enough is enough CNN

April 8, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  48. Laurie

As the mother of a high school golfer, I am intrigued to comment on the NIKE ad....Up until now, I have felt that Tiger's situation is just what it is.....He is an adult, and experienced golfer...he knows how to avoid the "hazzards and traps" on and off the course....but everyone makes a bad shot, now and then.....What concerns me is the use of this issue in the NIKE ad. Nike would have been better off to avoid the issue and just continue with the sponsorship if that is what they wished.....I do not buy NIKE products because Tiger does or doesnt use the products.....However, this ad just tells me that Nike is trying to apeal to all views, by keeping the endorsement of Tiger and scolding him during the ad at the same time....If NIKE had an opinion, they should have stated it, without using his deseased father's voice, or not stated an opinion at all.......I am disappointed in NIKE, for not standing on their own judgement on this one.

April 8, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  49. ken

Great ad "for Tiger" and business. This entire topic is overblown. He is merely a human who is a great golfer. He is not and should not be a role model, nor should any other sports personality or public figure, models are in our home. I believe "his" actions and tribulations, are his and not ours. I will continue to enjoy his skills, and will only watch golf when he is playing as I have always done over the past 10 years. What has occurred has not and will not change my watching habits, as it did not change my habits of watching and listening to Michael Jackson, or Dr. J after learning of his fathering a child during his marriage, or Michael Jordan and his issues, or any other popular figure that have shared their talent with us. I say, focus on what they are known for and not what they do outside of their god given abilities, because it is none of our business. Unless you have no life of your own.

April 8, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  50. Lona Wilken

I suspect that Nike, having not dropped Tiger, is easing back into their advertising of him by scolding him, as a Father would, though the voice of his actual Father. It is almost as if they are saying, "show us why, show us what you have learned and show us that you will honor the people who have placed their trust in you". "Earn the respect we have given you by becoming the person we believed you were, and we will continue to give you our sponsorship"

April 8, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  51. patrick

tony the fact is that.it was wrong for nike to do that an even tiger to go a head with it..if tiger really wants to show us he is better we will see it sooner or later..not him runing behind nike or any other brands.....he should let them come to him cause truly he is the best in golf

April 8, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  52. Susan Lynch

Tiger seems to be apologizing for letting his sponsors down, and losing PROFITS for them .If Tiger wants to truly vindicate himself, he should give 95% of his profits to charity, including disaster victims.

April 8, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  53. A Wilson

Makes me wonder if Tiger's bad behavior started before or after his father passed away...

April 8, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  54. Abel P

At this stage, with the latest aired ad and Tiger's statement to the press, I'm left to wonder: Is Tiger Woods more concerned, as he should, about the integrity of the game that catapulted him to his present status, or is it equally about his success at corporate endorsements? Seems he should be concentrating more on restoral of his tarnished status in the game.

April 8, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  55. Diane

Personally I think it's exploitation. But what do I know? I thought Michael Jordan would lose his Nike contract after his fall from grace way back when. Tiger hasn't done anything unusal in the "Super-Sports-Star" arena. Apparently, America, al beit the world, loves the bad guy (and their exploitating sponsors). Who knew! Let's move on to something more interesting.

April 8, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  56. Buddy Snider

Tiger Woods is a mortal human being who apparently has no self control or morals. That being said he's already been through the shredder of public humiliation. Now Nike is pushing an ad using Tigers dead fathers voice as though he's talking to his son from the grave, I mean how low will a company go. Lets get over it, I'm tired of the Tiger Woods saga, who cares.

April 8, 2010 at 10:58 am |
  57. Judith

Tiger Woods should only concentrate on playing winning golf. A low, humble profile would is the only redeeming reaction he should demonstrate.
    It's offensive that he is trying to regain his huge annual fortune gleaned from Nike. Exceptional golf made the man; his false image made his fortune...now, his exceptional lack of character has destroyed his right to claim this commercial fortune.

April 8, 2010 at 10:58 am |
  58. Bill

We all have a conscience. Maybe we should learn to listen to our inner voice before we get into problems. This commercial is interesting that way, although I find it somewhat tacky, it does make a point.

Tiger Woods is an example of how infidelity can shake the foundations of one of our most valued social contracts, that between a husband and wife. I really think we should try to learn from the mistakes of others and take steps to preserve the value and foundation of marriage and family life.

We are responsible for creating future generations, that requires us to take steps to ensure that our children are strong and healthy, in as man ways as possible.

April 8, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  59. Vel

I don't understand what it is that Tiger is selling? It seems as Nike is using his father to help sell Tiger back to the public. It is such a sad and almost scary ad just knowing that his deceased father was then talking about golf and now it will be associated with the affair(s). Whether it was Tiger's idea or Nike's...it was wrong.

April 8, 2010 at 11:17 am |
  60. Carol Kenney

Tony,
    Since Tiger's father is deceased, where and in what context did his father's quote arise?

And, the current isue of Vanity Fair has some very revealing information about Tiger's father and his philandering. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

April 8, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  61. HOGIE

Excellent ad, very smart for Tiger to do this.....his father would be proud!!

April 8, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  62. Jen

Being the only company that did not drop their sponsorship of Tiger, Nike is branding their understanding of Tiger being human and making mistakes.

April 8, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  63. up_urz

Enough beating on Tiger! Wonder what Jesus wrote in the sand? Now, that wouldn't be a stone in your hand, would it?

April 8, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  64. peter

Most of are taught that if we confess we can obtain forgiveness. The people that have enjoyed and doted on Tiger's performance as a professional athlete should remember this. Even "Windows" is not perfect.

April 8, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  65. Gael

The ad is the creepiest thing I have ever seen. Is there nothing this guy will not do to make a buck? He exhumes his dear father's voice to redeem his own image? He is a golfer, he needs to stick to that and that alone. I don't buy the remorse, the relinking with his father's values, but it does not matter. Just play golf Tiger. The carefuly crafted illusion of you as "a family man with high values" as was just that, its gone. May it and your dad rest in peace.

April 8, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  66. gary

How sad is it that, after violating the oath he took to be faithful to his wife, Tiger Woods once again violates a shared private and precious moment between he and his deceased father by commercializing and attempting to profit from it. My guess? This is futher proof that 45 days is not nearly enough time for therapy to have any profound effect on his demeanor or character decision making.

April 8, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  67. maze1gerald

They should give tiger as break who cares about his personal bussiness I don't . half the veiwers would probabaly do the same thing if they had the chance.they don't have the big big money..

April 8, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  68. Axtionjaxon

Has anyone given the thought to Tiger"s foundation and the MILLIONS he has given to it. If we do not let him make a living the Kids will suffer. Also he has contributed 100's of hours to First Tee. I am sick and tired of of this garbage about he needs to do this, he needs to do that. Move on. I hope he wins the Masters and tells them where they can stick their GREEN JACKET.

April 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  69. Richard Duncan

Tiger's Nike ad is absolutely revolting. Using his dead father as an advertizing ploy is beneath contempt. It makes his behaviour even more egregious, clearly all he really cares about is getting back into the good graces of his former deep pocket sponsors. One comment to Tiger – Please spare us from you rehabiliation manipulation!!!!!!

April 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  70. Angela Savage Austin

The Nike Ad only reminds us all that we all are Human and prone to make mistakes,... yet his father's voice, used as, the inner voice from whence we come is effective...intervention...to do some personal inventory, is a voice we all must adher to daily. It had an affect on me as well, and I too gave permission to ask myself....what am I thinking, how do I feel about the stress in my life, being unemployed for over a year..

April 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  71. Anita C.in Oklahoma

Hate to pour fuel on the flame, but doesn't it seem ironic for his father to be the voice of wisdom. Didn't he have a similar problem?

April 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
  72. E. Joyce

Much of the hype over Tiger's private life has been media generated. He isn't a politician, doesn't hold an office or head a church; he's a golfer. Personally I like the Nike ad; it had to be approved by Tiger and it tells me more about where his thinking is than anything. If he never played golf again, he has all the money he'd ever need. Tiger, get back to golf, play your game and win. That's all we need to see and care about. The rest is between you and family.
    BTW, Billy Payne: What hypocrisy. If you are purporting to be so "moral" you'd have to blast most of the pro-golfers in the tournament. Most people and especially the media have overlooked the outing of this big little fact by John Daly's ex-wife. There is the "other PGA" you know. And then there's that other bit of hypocrisy in that women are not allowed to join your club. #Tiger, focus, play your game. And win.

April 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
  73. Janet

Is Tiger going to look like that when he starts the Masters or is he going to be smiling? What does any part of this ad do for Nike sales? Who cares what he's thinking anyway. I would not purchase anything relating to Nike & Tiger Woods. Didn't they have to get Tiger's permission to do this ad? This makes no sense. Get on with the real news.

April 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
  74. Phyllis

I personnally think these are sad times that someone, including Tiger Woods, would have to be publicly humiliated due to his private life. The public put him on a pedestal because he was good at golf, not because he was a good husband. Now to ask him what he has learned? The question is to the public; "What has the public learned"? I hope that the lesson learned by the public was that he is nothing but a man, not God! So please, leave him alone. His is ours publicly, not personally. He only did wrong to his wife, not me or you, so get off his back!

April 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  75. Nancy, Mystic, CT

The new ad featuring Tiger Woods' fathers voice is in such poor taste. This is a new low for Woods and Nike. Tiger is so remorseful that he is willing to do this to jump start the money train? Tiger personally is a zero. Luck for him, he plays golf well because that's all he has left!

April 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  76. zenflo

It seems as if Tiger Woods will endure any amount of crocodile-teared humiliation in his attempt to repair his image, brand and cash flow.

But to misappropriate his father's recorded voice in this Nike ad is nothing short of ghoulish and vulgar. And so, the mask continues to slip.

April 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
  77. wanda spiegel

do not understand why cnn has not done a more extensive report on what is happening in rio de janeiro. the trajedies are going on and on daily. the only wayi can see is thru a brasilian channel. what about the brasilians who are in this country who do not have brasilian channel are not aware of what's going on. i thought cnn reports internationally. please check on what's going on in rio de janeiro and show it to all of us. thank you for your attention on this matter.
    a concerned brasilian with S.

April 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  78. Scott Hansford - Palm Springs, CA

I think the new Nike/Tiger ad is brilliant. Nike has a brand to protect and they are using their star spokesman again – albeit under stressful circumstances. But rather than shying away from the issue and just letting the story die out... Nike chose the courageous approach; They faced the Tiger issue head on, and using his father's voice as a moral guidance was a stroke of genius. Perhaps if Tiger listened to his inner voices earlier [and thought with the head on his shoulders] he wouldn't be in this situation. Maybe we can all learn something from this ad and Tiger's fall from grace.

April 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  79. jim in nome

Tiger's response: Thanks Dad for your compassionate understanding. yes, I would like to discuss my thoughts about who I am and the roles I am expected to live up to. I hope our discussion about relationships between couples will inspire men and woman to have the same compassionate discussion about the role of sex, marriage, and the life choices we make...

Thanks Dad, I look forward to the next ad with Nike's sponsorship moving
    the discussion forward... love Tiger.

April 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  80. up_urz

How dare you create a sin, Tiger, amongst all of us PERFECT people?

April 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
  81. pete faust

MAJOR CREEPY !!!!
    It reminds me of the Star Wars dead Jedi knight
    talking to Luke from the grave.

April 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  82. RuRus

NIKE just convinced me they have no soul and I will never buy anything with nike logo on it. I have no respect for NIKE and from now on will ridicule anybody I see wearing anything with nike logo on it, I will make them a public spectacle until people choose to stop wearing their trash.

April 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  83. Mike

I don’t agree with the majority of you. This add in my opinion shows Tigers class and humility to a new level. This isn’t a big secret. Tiger made a mistake one he has paid for on multiple levels. His marriage will never be the same, his financial status has been affected and his reputation as a house hold name is forever tarnished. This is simply Mr. woods expressing his humility knowing he probably disappointed his father on a very deep level. Not only do i support the add and Nike Inc. I also regained a small amount of respect for Tiger Woods following the commercial. This whole thing should have been kept under wraps and out of the media from day one, it was a highly personal matter affecting only those directly involved. It was never any of our business in the first place. Now that it has become more prevalent in the news than what American forces are doing abroad why not show a sense of humility? Good for you Nike and Tiger for staying together and showing the world no one is perfect and everyone has their skeletons. Everyone is quick to crucify him for his actions cause he is a professional athlete. I guess none of u have ever sinned or lied before. Let his wife and God be the judge not us. Oh and speaking of his wife...everyone makes her out to be saint...if she was a truly stand up woman she would have left him high and dry she’s only in it for his estate can we say post pre-nuptial?

April 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
  84. Michael

Do not care. I will the rest of you would follow suit. Yes, he plays a nice round of golf. Once he is off the green who cares.

Stop living you life based on these idiots and have a life of your own. Perhaps the world will become a better place when everyone gets their priorities straight. Everyone was watching golf and football while the government tossed our country in the garbage can.

April 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  85. Barb Hipp

Sex sells. Nike and Tiger deserve each other.

April 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  86. Ellen

I find this ad incredibly hypocritical. It is well know that Tiger's father cheated on his wife and cause her substantial unhappiness. The ad asked Tiger at the end "what did you learn?' He learned to cheat from his father, something no one seems to want to acknowledge.

April 8, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
  87. Bill Edwards

I think the Nike?Tiger add is very thought provoking. I believe that Tiger truly loved and respected his father.

Also, I think it would serve a lot of people (us) well to listen to Tiger's dads words and replace Tiger's name with our own. There are times in our lives that we need to reflect on the things that we have been taught, no matter whether from a parent, spiritual leader or role model.

April 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  88. Jeanne M. Madison

I am so tired of hearing about Tiger Woods as if he was this great man.
    Now Nike is exploiting his late father for his or their benefit; I would certainly like to know what family member approved this ??? I actually hope that Tiger gets a big reality check and does not win this tournament. We need to move on and focus on the real heroes in this world........ 🙂 I just want all this Tiger Woods stuff to fade away,..enough already...does anyone really care????

April 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  89. Melody

I am so tired of hearing of Tiger Woods. In the first place there is no one figure so important to any sport that their misconduct must be repeatedly discussed in the media. Let it go already! Personally...I think the world can live without those kinds of folks completely!

April 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  90. dylan

the Gov of virginia; want just than all the americans form one nation.
    And he want also to created of jobs for all americans.And the Gov, want the peace for all also. with the rate of unemployment of about 20% in the community you call Slavery now. This people, want of jobs.

April 8, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  91. Julie

"Chills ran up my spine" as I saw Nike's commercial today with Tiger's picture appearing with his deceased Fathers' voice speaking to him! I hear my deceased Fathers' voice when I make decisions in my life.So many of us can relate to the human impact of that emotion. I find the ad's message to be very POWERFUL and INGENIUS! I do not condone what Tiger Woods has done, but after all he is only human! I wish him, his wife and family the best and hope he genuinely "listens to his fathers' message". I applaud Nike! Especially, for standing by him. I only wonder what his Mothers' feelings are regarding the commercial...

April 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  92. Sherry N. Calif.

Nike has no room to talk. How many sweatshops do they run around the world? Please! The ad was cheesy and uncalled for. Leave Tiger's personal life alone. Let him play golf. Something he is good at.

April 8, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  93. Susan Lynch

Sadly, Nike's ad is all about the money–for Nike and for Tiger. If they want to build up some business and goodwill, why not have Tiger and Nike donate a year's profits to the poor kids, who can't afford their sneakers, and to the children of Haiti who have no shoes at all?
    Susan Lynch

April 8, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  94. Joyce Baker

I am a devout Christian and I understand that Tiger can be forgiven by God for his transgressions, but really, I and many other I can assume are simply so tired of hearing about him over and over again. He may be a great golfer but in reality, he is just another person who fell out of sync along the way partly due to his fame and money. Give it a rest and report on other more important things such as the miners in WVA more. Tiger is no more important than any person. I would rather watch about Haiti's simple people who are struggling just to survive. This is just my opinion. Thanks.

April 9, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  95. John Tyler Erie, Pa

I think it's sad to reach to the grave of your Father to seek redemption. Let Earl rest in peace knowing that when he died he had a son to be proud of. Now it's Tiger's turn to grow up and not hide behind his Father. A parent can only protect their children for so long so it's Tigers turn fend for himself. Shame on Nike to stoop this low to sell products.

April 9, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  96. doug dunbar

re tiger nike ad-ghastly,ghoulish, and, grotesque

April 9, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  97. ryan

Tiger is the man and I think he's gonna win the masters

April 9, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  98. joey

the new ad dosen't make sense. i guess thats the idea huh!

April 9, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  99. Angela Savage Austin

FROM WHENCE WE COME....The Nike Ad of Tiger Woods, reminds us all, that we are Human and prone to make mistakes, Yet his father's voice, intervening as a reminder from whence we come, requires personal inventory daily. I too gave permission to ask myself....what am I thinking now, how do I feel about the stress in my l...ife, being unemployed, the economy, wars, hate, greed, corruption. How will I react?

Being Human,has so many flaws, but it is not enough to encourage us to give up or give in to hate and fear. At age (4,) I imagined my world was going to be an amusement park, full of wonder and amazement. Poeople having fun celebrating life. I wanted to dance every dance, sing every song, taste every flavor, experience every culture, embrace it all as my own. Today, I mend my broken heart... holding on to that dreams, that one day, we will learn to live life to its fullest and have alot of fun doing it. God Bless You!

April 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  100. David Frazier

I understand Tiger's wife is hurt, but she was a no body before she married Tiger, and she will only be a rich nobody after she divorces him.
    Who cares if she wasn't at the Masters? Was she a golf fan before she met Tiger? No, she was a golfer's babysitter. And she didn't have to go to the media and bad mouth Tiger, considering she decided to go back to his house, leading the media into believing she was attempting to reconcile with him. Tiger should let his lawyers deal with her; pay her off and let her go. And if she tries to punish him by keeping the children from him, the years will she keeps them away from him will determine how much the children will punish her.

April 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm |