Today on CNN Newsroom

April 13th, 2010

Nuke Worries

A bad economy, high unemployment, health care battles, car recalls, bullying, mine safety problems - with all that's going on in the world, how worried are you about loose nukes?

Post your comments here.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Gael

Well, rightly concerned. One good nuke in bad hands makes all those other issues you listed evaporate – literally. As we willingly become a toothless paper tiger, rogue nations, emboldened by their "murder the infidels" faith arm and aim.

April 13, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  2. Carl

We are fortunate to have this President tackle the myriad of untended problems that he inherited. He works very hard while the other President racked up more vacation time in office than any sitting President ever. He is on the mark with his Nuke policy. The world thinks so too and has great respect for him. Its our own Republicans that are deliberately blind to his success because they are racists with a single goal that boils down to treason.

April 13, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  3. michael armstrong sr.

Reducing our nuke power is reducing our military might making our country weaker our number in warheads is what keeps other country's at bay the president has lost his marbles this is what we get for electing a none military president while we reduce they only claim to reduce .

April 13, 2010 at 8:04 am |
  4. top_liberal

On a scale from 1-10, I would say 0. I fear nukes as much as fear getting hit by an meteorite, it's possible but very unlikely. I think crime, bad drivers(drunk and texting) are a bigger problem them the nukes

April 13, 2010 at 8:08 am |
  5. Chico Mayne

Even though I'm affected by most of the issues listed, the nuke worry is the scariest. If terrorist groups get their hands on that stuff and blow me up, I wouldn't be alive to worry about anything else. So yes, I am worried about the nuke situation.

April 13, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  6. Tom McMahon

Kyra, it would be naive to believe that al Qaeda has not infiltrated the Pakistani military and are biding their time to either overthrow the military leadership or to create instability that may gain them the advantage to aquire the nuclear weapons that Pakistan possesses. It would be the most logical way to attain access to these weapons. It has been reported through outside sources that black ops are in place in Afghanistan and Pakistan to insure this does not happen. But all plans can go wrong with the worst case scenario still coming to be.
    If I have thought of this you can bet al Qaeda has too.

April 13, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  7. Rajinder Goyal

More power to the President. He has to be congratulated for his leadership in trying to take on an issue of this magnitude and importance. He should forge ahead and get world opinion on his side. People shold be made aware of the fact that the only nuclear attack was in 1945 when the US dropped bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The amount of uranium used was less than half the mass of a dime. that was enough to level two cities and kill over a million people, and render millions of thers paralyzed for the rest of their lives. What we have today are nuclear devices thousands of times more powerful. All efforts must be made to protect nuclear devices and materials from passing into the hands of terrorists and rogue countries.

President Obama has undertaken a noble task and deserves the support of all Americans. Republicans will oppose anything and everything he does, for such is the nature of the GOP. To expect them to support anything the President does would be detrimental to their strategy. The irresponsible statement made by Palin that no American President should ever make a statement like Obama is a sham. She doesn't know anything and is getting into hot waters again.

April 13, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  8. cyril dsouza

Kyra,
    I am sure that you are smart enough t realise that the 'nuclear' problem can be easily solved without requiring a 'summit', with one simple move. If the world powers make Isreal come out and tell the world that it harbours nuclear wepons I am not only sure that Iran will comply to the demand of world powers, I am sure that the world terrorism and the mid east problems will be solved. But americans are gutless where Isreal is concerned. But they are very good in bullying smaller nations.

April 13, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  9. maze1gerald

With all the instability going on In some countries, I'm very concerned about loose nukes.I don't think it would be wise for one country to deal with countries like iran.all countries should work together to deal with countries like those.I also feel because of this threat, americans should not be squabbling with one another.

April 13, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  10. Linda

Good Morning

On the news last night they were saying that Congress has not decided yet about extending more unemployment. Then they say that Congress does not know where the money would come from to extend these befefits. Also they said over 1 million people yesterday have exhausted all their benefits. What I would like to know is what are all these people going to do? We have enough crime and killing and stealing in the crazy world right now can you imagine what it will be like if Congress dont get on the ball. I feel so let down by this Goverment and by all this mess going on. I guess these poor people who lost their benifits will have to decide to take their own lives or go kill someone or go rob a store. What a slap in the face for the people in the United States. Oh by the way I am unemployed and my husband is Diaabled, so what do I do? I guess him and I will become homeless and loose our home. What a shame. Thank You

April 13, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  11. Osman Deen

The President Is working hard to address all those other issues. It's a complex world with complex challenges that needs to be tackle simultaneously. A nuclear bomb can annihilate all of our hopes and dreams.

April 13, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  12. michael armstrong sr.

I do not trust Obama with America's national security .

April 13, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  13. Arine Ward

I'm totally "pleased" with President Obama and his stand on Americas Security! Nukes are lethal and meant to wipe out and destroy. We as Americans of these United States had the opportunity to see first hand what the lack of Weapons of Mass Destruction produces. Keep up the Awesome Work President Obama!

April 13, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  14. kent

Loose nukes have been around for 40 years and they have not caused any problems. The u.s. has 10,000 nukes and is the only country to have used nukes against civilians. I think it is hypocritical to call everyone else evil when we are occupying iraq and afghanistan. Why don't we impose sanctions against israel for refusing to allow inspections of their secret nuclear arsenal. It is great to talk about nukes but the fact is the u.s. has a negative net worth of 65 trillion dollars. We are broke and the president and congress have no intentions of ever being honest with the american people.

April 13, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  15. Jerry

not to worried about it right now. At this time trying to keep my house which i'm probably going to lose is more important than anything to me

April 13, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  16. Brian

Since I live in the northeast, perfectly situated between Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York City, I sit in the worst location if a nuke was ever detonated in the US as the terrorists typically would target one of those three cities. I understand the urgency regarding jobs and health care, but if a loose nuke gets in the wrong hands, who knows if those issues would even matter, Would we be here to debate it?

April 13, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  17. Josh Hughes

Loose Nukes trump all those other problems. American problems are American problems and are very important for news coverage and attention by our goverment, however, international problems are the problems of every citizen of the globe. To ignore such a pressing global issue would be a disservice to the American public and the world at large.

April 13, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  18. proud dem

I've been worried about loose nukes since the fall of the old soviet union. Reagan/Bush and other presidents have done little to nothing about it. About time we have true leadership on defense issues.

April 13, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  19. Dan Freeman

Having grown up in the 1950s when everyone was convinced we were headed for a nuclear war with Russia, Remember 'duck and cover' drills in grade school? and having been a teenager during the Cuban Missle Crisis, a few loose nukes ain't nothing.

April 13, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  20. Herb Smith

It's essential ,responsible world leadres have to deal whit this threat .
    To many angry folks with crazy agends out there . You go obama .

April 13, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  21. Mel May

I believe all the issues are important even the ones that we push into our subconscious like Nuclear war. Well Obama continues to work on the issues in our own country. It is almost a peaceful note to know our president is thinking of affairs abroad. If we are closer to being blown up we should do our best to try to prevent it at any time. There are those out there who do not give a care about the common man and women. They think we are expendable to whatever cause they have our deaths mean very little to them. As an American, I think the United Nations and the president are doing the right thing even if we all have our own problems at home.

April 13, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  22. LaSonya, TN

WIth all of the issues this administration inherited, I believe the President is handling those issues very effectively. Some things like the economy will always be a problem and is difficult to control by the government. Actually, I don't see Tennessee is experiencing any kind of recession. The only people I know that doesn't have a job, have a felony record and I have one friend quit her job and found another job in less that two weeks making the same salary. Businesses are doing well, the mall is full every week-end.

LaSonya, TN- Nashville/Memphis

April 13, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  23. Marc Simpson

All the above mentioned issued wont be an issue at all if nuclear proliferation isnt reigned in. Nuclear aggressive nations such as N. Korea need to know that we are indeed watching them.

April 13, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  24. Daniel Trules

One nuke could destroy the city of Los Angeles... yes, I am very concerned about the threat of terrorist aquiring these destructive weapons.

April 13, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  25. Paul

I am concerned. We all should be concerned. The U.S. is very much responsible for nuclear proliferation and is the only Nation that has used them. I fear there is truth in the adage "what comes around goes around". The U.S. has enemies who would use them if given the chance and call it poetic justice.

April 13, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  26. Nicole Bolger

As the only country who has ever used nuclear weapons against another country, it is certainly the United States' responsibility and obligation to the global community to assure future nuclear action is not taken. No innocence should ever suffer the devastation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

April 13, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  27. Mike M.

There is no doubt in my mind it is not a matter of if Terrorists will ever procure and use a weapon of mass destruction, but when. As tension mounts, major city living will only become more of a risk for the innocent.

Mike M.

April 13, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  28. William R. Boda

During the 1950's we would do duck-and-cover under our desks in elementary school for fear that if the Soviets launched an attack that we would be somewhat protected. A friend of mine was a nuclear missile tech during the Vietnam era and told me that even at that time the military was worried about terrorists acquiring nuclear material. I believe that President and those around him can focus on more than one problem at a time. I grew up with Cronkite and Huntley-Brinkley as my news sources and they were able to remain objective due to their knowledge on the story that they were reporting, and I believe that you can accomplish this also...Best of wishes

April 13, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  29. Terrance campbell

I'm very worried that fir the right price plutonium can be purchase on the blackmarket. So I'm very worried especially now that I know 1 nuke can take out a major city.......

April 13, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  30. penny marwede

I am very concerned.. I am old enough to remember "duck and cover".. if we don't contain "loose nukes", we won't be around to worry about the unemployment rate, health insurance or the financial mess.
    penny

April 13, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  31. LaSonya, TN

I am concern as with every issue we have in the US, I think the President is doing an excellent job, the only President that is doing actually what he said he would do if elected.

LaSonya, TN

April 13, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  32. Ryan G

Hi Kyra,

I am a Political Science student specializing in National Security. The threat from the Islamic Republic of Iran and their nuclear development program has never been greater. Iran is only a few years away from possessing a nuclear bomb and a delivery system to reach the United States. President Obama has made a wise decision to make nuclear proliferation a priority. We can only hope that terrorist will not come in possession of a weapon of mass destruction.

April 13, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  33. Terrance campbell

I less worried about the terrorist and more worried about the person working in the nuclear factory saling the material.......

April 13, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  34. Cynthia Loring MacBain

It is about time the people of the United States accept the reality that the manufacture, transportation and storage of nuclear weapons puts this entire nation in peril, At last we have a president who has the courage to speak about the "unspeakable." Most of you people who manage the news are perhaps too young to have experienced the absolute terror we experienced during the Cuban Missile Crisis and after. I hope you take the President seriously. I do.

And about the economy: Interview people who know something about economic conversion. I heard the CEO of Electric Boat once say that their company could be converted from nuclear submarines to high speed train engines. Take a look at our Department of Energy Budget and how much we spend on nuclear weapons, which have a negative effect on the economy, since they don't produce jobs to advertise them, sell them, have people pay to see or use them.

April 13, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  35. Dean

I'm not worried at all, I think crime, drunk and text driving are a bigger threat.

April 13, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  36. Sundeep

Hell Yeah, I am concerned! We're not living in 1985 where we could have take care of one problem at a time! Getting "not too worried" about these Nukes today will only make the problem worse for us in 2015! We need to address multiple issues at a time and try to keep the risk LOW, no matter what, while i'm aware that it's not possible to make it zero.

April 13, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  37. VS

Your question about why the President had this summit when restoring jobs is vital for the economy, presumes that he is NOT tackling that at the same time. Why do you believe that your question has any merit?

April 13, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  38. Kevin Casey

On 9/11/2001 two planes brought down the Twin Towers, killing over 5,000 people, paralyzing NY City, plunging us into 2 wars that are still being fought at terrible cost in blood of our young and our treasure, draining our economy and contributing to the economic mess we have today. Now imagine a small nuke going off on the Twin Towers site: 200,000 – 300,000 dead, the financial centers destroyed, Manahattan evacuated – what would that do to our economy? If the World cannot ensure that terrorists cannot get their hands on the material, none of us will never be secure. Every President for 40 years has recognized the problem and tried to work it – more power to President Obama for getting all these Countries to finally stand-up and acknowledge the problem and the need to solve it.

April 13, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  39. P Pickett

Nuclear threat is something we should all give our attention to regardless of our current circumstances. It is a real threat and it is vital we discuss it for the good of all. I lost my job and am now loosing my home, however on the horizon one can still see the devastation possible if we place this issue on the back burner. We might have all of the burners glowing, but that is life in today's world, so we just have to keep an eye on ever last one of them. If we had a leader who could only deal with one or two topics at a time, would we really have a "world leader"?

April 13, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  40. Paul

How could anybody ever underplay the devastation and destruction that a nuclear attack will leave? Terrorism or otherwise, this material has no place in our world. If we do not evolve beyond our desire for power and destruction, our species will not survive another 100 years.

April 13, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  41. Mattie

I am very concerned about the nukes; you don't wait until something happens to get concern; being proactive is part of the president's job. We are blessed to have a president that can multitask and dealing with world issues is part of his job.

April 13, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  42. Jr

Is this a serious question? Since when is excessive bullying more of a priority than the threat of terrorists acquiring nuclear weapons? If 47 other nations agreed to meet at this summit then I think it is important.

April 13, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  43. Mike M.

With all the internal self inflicted problems we have, we are still a world super power. It is my opinion President Obama is doing an excellent job of multi-tasking between global issues and national issues. I like the fact the greater percentage of his time is spent here in our own country, rather than photo ops across the globe wearing oriental pajamas.

Mike M.

April 13, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  44. Jackie

I don't spend any time at all worrying about loose nukes–but I'm glad my president does. Let the man do his job.

April 13, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  45. aga

The goverment worries about theirs citizens being swept out by nuclear weapons by they aloud contamineited sea food come in to U.S and do not have any regulations for poison substances put in to the beef which is also killing people but much slower.

April 13, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  46. joan lewis

If we don't take care of loose.nukes we will not have to worry about the economy or healthcare or anything.

April 13, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  47. JIm

There's an important connection between nuclear security and energy, one of the other issues on everyone's mind these days. The Nonproliferation Treaty simultaneously promotes nuclear energy while seeking to eliminate nuclear weapons. We should not be promoting an energy source that can be a tool for nuclear proliferation! And since 9/11, it should be abundantly clear that we should not seek centralized power sources vulnerable to terrorist attack, especially those that can have catastrophic consequences for surrounding populations.

April 13, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  48. frank firter

Yeah ...duck and cover will never work against a nuclear attack. It’s pretty much resume the crash position and kiss your butt good bye. If anyone heard of what happened to the cities in Japan during WW2 you would know you can’t run nor hide from a bomb when it instantly goes off even if there is a slight difference in the atomic bomb to the nuclear bomb. Even if you don’t die in the explosion you have radiation sickness to think of. Then later in years there will be birth defects in the next generations. Even Tranoble in the Ukraine should be something to think about even if it was an accident it’s left an entire city empty because the high levels of radiations. This can happen to anyone and to know that the leaders of nations are thinking about the threat in the future is a great thing.

April 13, 2010 at 9:33 am |
  49. Dot Kinney

How can anyone think it is a waste of time to give attention to this problem? If we don't take care of the loose-nuke problem, and a terrorist ends up with one, all the other things we are worried about will immediately diminish in importance. And, as was said earlier on your show, this President is capable of doing more than one thing at a time. Thank heavens for that!

April 13, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  50. Charlotte deVere Armistead

The majority of Americans have zero knowledge concerning the ramifications of a nuclear explosion. The destabilization of an entire country could occur with the detonation of one nuke. Especially an air burst. And depending on the type of detonation, military bases could be affected by EMPs over a thousand miles away. Japan was a prime time example of the horrific effects of radiation sickness but, again, most Americans are clueless in regards to the destructive nature of nuclear weaponry. Nuclear weapons are the greatest threat to mankind, period. And one nuke in the hands of terrorists is the worst case scenario for the entire world. Obama is doing his job as the leader of the free world by recognizing these dangers and acting accordingly.

April 13, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  51. John

As a person without a job, this summit is just another way for our government to create distractions from creating jobs. Why not have a job summit with all this coverage and get this country working again. This administration says job creation is important but have not done much since they took office.

April 13, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  52. John

Let's stop worrying about the world, promising billions to support other countries we don't have, quit shipping all our jobs to China, and start worrying about our own people. We have millions of famlies in danger of living on the street, homeless shelters are packed to capacity, and we have 1000 people vying for every job available. Meanwhile businesses fail and close every day putting more people on the unemployment roles, and our government that we trust to protect us is doing precicely nothing, and is worrying about overly much about other countries. This needs to be addressed and corrected

April 13, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  53. shannon

I live in canada kyra,, but I am very fearful for the United States, Russia is not to be trusted! and Mr Obama is not doing His Best I believe to protect the country of the united states.. that is my opinion and also I belethe Pres should be more willing to prect Israel after all they have good friends with Israel for a very long time and That state of Israel is The Apple of God's Eye.... If Pres Obama keeps doing what he is doing to Isreal and to his own country,,, I believe you will see united states falll some way or another!

April 13, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  54. Leon "COJAC" Woodard Polk Couty, FL

I thinks it is a true blessings when nations talk on making a path to true peace. It is time that this Nation , World realize what is to come. These small issues. The subject. True peace, True Glory, Victory, Love One day soon.

April 13, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  55. Kecia

It is upsetting to read or hear Kyra talk about those comments left by people more concerned with their "personal economic" problems rather than ridding the World of an instrument which could make those problems a moot subject, along with the lives of their children and grandchildren, in a matter of minutes. We as individuals will always have our personal issues to deal with. I'd rather have those than the Wasteland created by a nuclear weapon in the hands of someone who will readily give their life and the lives of their fellow man. That is Terrorism.

April 13, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  56. Will

Pres. obama is doing the right thing with trying to stop nukes from getting in the wrong hands regardless of what palin and the just say no party says

April 13, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  57. Gene Lucas

"Loose nukes" are definitely a problem, and there are people willing to sell nuclear material to anyone for a price – even terrorists. So the world should be doing whatever it can to keep such materials under control. I'm also cocerned about commercial nuclear materials being protected – such as power plants, which are very vulnerable.

April 13, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  58. JENNA

Tony

I am not nymore concerned now than when the Berlin wall tumbled and nukes wen't on the loose in Russia. I think that Obama is doing the right thing trying to reign them all in and the other nations falling suit is a good sign.

I think the nation that is the problem is not North Korea or Iran, but Israel. They refuse to be a signatory of the non proliferation treaty, they refuse IAEA inspections, they deny that they have them yet have a nuclear site. Plus they are hot heads acting as if they can do no wrong because the US will have their back. WRONG.

One of the reasons that GW Bush gave to go to war with Iraq was because of WMD's, well folks, let's take a hard look at the so called Democracy in the Middle East.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

April 13, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  59. Dan

Why worry, if you know the almighty? This earth will one day be destroyed and a new Jeruselem created. Maybe it's getting close.

April 13, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  60. Zeus

Highly! Sometimes I look around and feel as though we have lost sight of the true environment we live in. These are dangerous times, and as americans concern themselves with how much they hate the current agenda, and juggle with the fate that previous leaders have paved for us, there are people that seek death to the states for one reason or another. Whether it be for fallen leaders, slain rebels, interference, or simply because they wish to make their problems/conditions ours. Citizens should be VERY concerned with loose nukes NOW, and now wait until one is inbound.

April 13, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  61. Shane

I am definitely concerned about the possibility of a nuclear attack. Anyone who isn't concerned about this must lack a basic understanding of the potential of such an attack.

The economy, jobs, and the like are all issues which deserve our immediate attention. However, most people would quickly realize the triviality of those issues if a nuclear attack were to happen.

Anyone who is opposed to the progress that we're making on the nuclear front simply based on personal politics needs to get over it right now and stop being RIDICULOUS!

April 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  62. Smith in Oregon

With mid-term elections coming across America, the Republican party will constantly attempt to fan the flames of fear and hatred from coast to coast including their often used chestnut of Nuclear War if their racist, hate spewing candidate is not elected.

President Obama has been quietly muting this expected campaign of fear and hatred by the Republican party which they habitually have done for the past many elections.

Largely regaining cooperation with the Russian leaders, a New Start Nuclear Weapons treaty, policing up hundreds of tons of highly enriched uranium around the world, President Obama has certainly been busy this past year and has accomplished a great deal in directly lessening the fears of any future Nuclear bombs being used anywhere by anyone.

April 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  63. ConcernedCitizen

I really suggest you do a news segment on Port Security – it's important for people to realize how it lacks in security and the consequences of that to our nation. It leaves the U.S. vulnerable to terrorist attacks as well as potential threats to smuggling of weapons and explosives. "We're spending $5.4 billion a month or more in Iraq while only $43 million in 3 years on port security." We're so concerned with Iraq and trying to defend ourselves from nuclear threats yet we're neglecting to secure our own ports through which terrorists can invade the U.S.

April 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  64. USAFireFly

I worry how much money USA will be paying to other countries to help them secure uranium and facilities.

The nut case rogue nuke has been a concern for over 40 years and what did everybody do who has these capabilities? Why do we pay for this now? I'm sure we have been paying for this for decades anyway.

So, it's probably positive political posturing for everyone concerned.

April 14, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  65. Angie

Since the signing of the Nuclear Arms Agreement, I'm not worried.
    Why?
    Because in the Arms Agreement it does state that those countries which do not abide by or do not want to participate in the Arms Agreement are not protected under the umbrella.

Just what does that mean, that means we can use them on those countries who even sneeze nuclear at us.

April 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  66. Michael

Not really. I cannot go through life worring about what might happen.

I do believe it will happen and Washington will be waiting so they can take away more of our rights and go bomb another country.

April 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  67. kenneth d stoneburner

untli our elected officials obide by the original constitution, i will give up nothing; we have elected officials giving themselves millions per year in retirement, the original constitution was that only the president recieve compensation for his service and that was limited to two terms after leaving office (8years). as long as congress and other ELECTED OFFICIALS ,milk the system for money that they are NOT entitled to under the original constitution i say , no to giving to the greed ofb government

April 15, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  68. Mike M.

Should one or two nukes be set off in our nation's capital, and possibly another major city such as New York, we the most power nation in the work with all it's might will be brought to it's knees. There will be no country to blame, and no army to fight. The only fight we will have will be among ouselves searching to blame what party or what induvidual man is responsible for letting this happen.
    The size of our armed forces will mean absolutely nothing when in most likely it took maybe a dozen Jihadists to cause this Hell Fire.
    We cannot protect against their ultimate goal. I am fearful this will happen and so I question why do we continue to waste good men and women for the sake of more glory, rank and hard metal for our Chiefs of Staff and below?
    End the Iraq war, and bring our troops home from Aphganistan. Bin Ladin is buying time keeping us busy until he has the bomb. If our country really wants this man, then bring home all the JAG officers and the Army. Then let the Marines and all the Special forces due the real job they were trained to do, and above all, close it to the media.
    M. Munro
    3rd Marines 1 Bat. 4th Marines
    3rd platoon machine guns
    Viet Nam Oct 67/June68

The politicians wouldn't let us do our job either. The JAG shall never be the conscious of our men in arms.

April 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  69. Robert Johnson

Paul's contention that the U.S. is "very much" responsible for nuclear proliferation is wrong. The country most responisble is Pakistan. Pakistani scientist Munir Ahmad Khan traveled to almost every mideast country with computer disks containing blueprints and construction plans for nuclear weapons. Moreover, a public annoucement by Israel would change nothing. We all know they posses hundreds of warheads. It is because Israel trusts no one to guarantee their safety and having been attacked three times by neighboring countries, their large nuclkear stockpile is understandable and mandatory.As for our entire leadership being wiped out in a surpise detonation, one cabinet member is always sent out of Washington during State of the Union speeches and National Command Authority would immediately pass to him.. Lastly, Hiroshima was reoccupied within weeks because a uranium bombs radiation dissipates quickly. A thermonuclear attack would leave the target area uninhabitable for hundres if not thousands of years. If we fail to guard our borders in a serious way and inspect all shipping conainers entering the country, the risk of attack skyrockets. Only a vast stockpile of warheads and the surety of the total obliteration of the attacker maintains our safety. I disagree with trimming our arsenal bu I do approve of attempting to locate and secure all loose nuclear materials. Lastly, the English of the majority of people commenting is pathetic. Get some education or quit embarassing yourselves.

April 16, 2010 at 10:40 am |