Today on CNN Newsroom

April 14th, 2010

Have you jumped back into the market?

GETTY IMAGES

GETTY IMAGES

Monday the Dow Jones closed above 11,000 for the first time in a year and a half giving many investors rising hopes about the economy. The Dow has posted six straight weekly advances – its longest winning streak in a year and the rise could draw more investors to the market.

Our question: Have you jumped back into the market? If not, what will it take?

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Kyra Phillips
  1. michael armstrong sr.

The market is to risky and unstable with marketeers trying to conduct the same old habits I would rather invest in private stocks .

April 14, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  2. HF Shaw

NO at age 73 I don't have the faith in the market. If I desire to ride a roller coaster I'll go to the amusemant park.

April 14, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  3. Jane

We are retired, we never left, have recovered some but not nearly all the way back. We want strong regulations so we never lose like this again, suggest restoring Glass- Steagall.
    It scares us to death to hear McConnel say we should let the" too big to fail" banks fail. Now? What does that even mean? Grateful for Obama Administration leadership.
    Jane & Spouse

April 14, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  4. Tom Hawk

I never left. The individuals who bailed out during the down market are the ones who bought into their loses.

April 14, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  5. Marcus

What will take for me to get back into the market? A job.

April 14, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  6. FDLJim

My wife and I got back in the market a year ago. We are in 6 Vanguard index funds and a high-yield corporate bond fund. We have gained 30%+ over this last year and 5%+ over the last quarter for an annual rate of 21.5%. Although there are many complaints about or economy and the current administration's policies, the market has been extraordinarily rewarding. This is very important to two retirees.

April 14, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  7. Mike

Reincarnation. Not happening in this lifetime....

April 14, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  8. Suzanne

Now is the best time to jump into the market . The market is on the way up and that is when the funds are cheapest. All economical indicators say we are on a slow , slow recovery.
    I have already recouped about a third of my losses.

April 14, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  9. bill

I never left the market. Remember, the objective is to buy low, sell high. I probably bought a little last january-march and have been reinvesting the income from mutual funds until this past march. Most investments do involve dividend distributions.

April 14, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  10. Max Cook

I cashed out half of my stock and mutual fund holdings over a year ago and put that money into Treasuries. At age 62, I do not regret that decision, as I have been able to sleep well at night knowing that half of my holdings are in cash. I plan to hold this position and not return that money to the market.

However, I am gratified to see that the other half of my funds left in play have rebounded considerably. I feel I have diversified into a safer position for me and am content to stay this course.

April 14, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  11. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

Hi Fredricka:

You do an excellent job as a CNN news anchor in my opinion!

I have not jumped back in the stock market and I have no plans to do so for the following reasons:

1) The economy is too unstable right now. The Dow Jones can have a good day every once in a while just like how a gambler may have a good day and beat the House or win big on a lottery ticket every once in a while. While that is certainly possible, it is the exception and not the rule. The rule from what I have seen is that there is more bad news with the stock market than there is good news. I would have to see at least two years of the stock market doing well before I would even consider jumping back into it.

2) I would never jump back into the stock market as long as Washington remains broken:

A) Where most elected fear Rush Limbaugh and far right wing talk radio so much that they will obstruct Obama on purpose and root for him to fail in order to avoid a primary challenge which they know they will get the next time they are on the ballot if they cross Limbaugh.

B) While I think that Obama is a very nice and sincere person and I am definitely rooting for him to succeed, I think that he is a weak leader and a poor communicator which is why so few Republicans have obstructed him as much as they have since he has been in office.

I do not believe that Obama is in full control of things right now because of how much unnecessary abuse that he is taking from ideologues like Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, and the tea party activist base of kooks. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, if George W. Bush were still President, he and Dick Cheney would never have taken all of the abuse and obstruction that Obama has taken so far in my opinion!

If I saw Obama try and pass some type of serious Fairness Doctrine legislation in order to try and help solve this problem, then I would start to feel better about jumping back into the stock market!

Mitch Dworkin
    Dallas, Texas

April 14, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  12. Dr. Chris Rochon, Canada

Tony: An outsider's thoughts. U.S. debt: Why not charge me and millions of others for your invaluable GPS system services. They are more important to me than my Sirrus radio contract (which I pay an annual fee for). Isn't it time to let the rest of the world who benefits share the costs and the blood of their citizens for the wars the U.S. pays the lion's share of? Most of the world would be delighted to have a man of the intelligence, intregity, and energy of your President. Perhaps a little more of the many positive things he is doing for you and all of us?

April 14, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  13. Margaret

I not only have faith, but I am actively investing and it is paying off. I understand the reluctance of those retired or really closed to it, but I have faith in this President and in our country to bounce back and succeed!

April 14, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  14. John Holmes

No it is too unstable. As soon as gas tops $3+ a gallon the market will crumble again. I think this is a false recovery.

April 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
  15. Sherry N. Calif.

If I want to gamble I will go to my local casino. At least I know who I am dealing with there. After all they are still doing the same thing that got us into this mess. Until regulations are in place to fix the cause of the mess they created then I will keep my money safe and away from them!
    After what Wall St. and the Banks have done to our economy and left Main St. in the cold, they can all go to (you know where and it is not cold there.) They have no morals or ethics. I have moved my accounts to a local bank and will never do business with the Big Boys again. If they are too big to fail then we can make them smaller.
    No surprise today as to what McConnell said. The Republican Party does not want a consumer protection agency for the people, and they do not want regulations for Wall St. regarding their phony packages of empty deals. McCain stated we will say no to everything and they are. Well, I say no to them. I will never vote for a money mongering Republican again. I am done with that party.
    Tea Baggers? There are $80 Billion in TAX CUTS for everyone except for the top 1% so quit your complaining. Offer solutions instead of jumping up and down with your guns, running all over the country in your RV's. No solutions? Then leave this country of freedoms. Go to Cuba! You will be back after you see what socialism is really about.

April 14, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  16. Carl

No way. The market still lacks any regulations to safe guard the public. These gains are artificial and built on quick sand waiting to sink again.

April 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  17. bill

the key is asset allocation and risk tolerance.

April 14, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  18. MR.AL

The only market ive been in is the SUPER MARKET!! You need money to go to either, Ask Lawmakers and the Wealthy and the Rich and Famous this question!!

April 14, 2010 at 11:58 pm |
  19. Roger

I am in my mid-40's, and barely remember the landing on the moon–just all the adults crowding around the TV and excited. What I remember most is the first space shuttle launch when John Young and Robert Crippen flew STS-1 into the first orbital flight on April 12, 1981, when I was a high school student. I wished more than anything that I could go to Florida for the launch. It will sad to see the space shuttle go.

April 15, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  20. Jami

I believe we need to utilize non-violent criminals to do service work such as road work, clean up, Humane Societies, etc. and other community support. Not only would this put our tax dollars to work it would provide inmates with useful skills as well as helping reduce the finacial footprint of the local communities.

I also feel that we should cut foreign spending in half, to include humanitarian efforts unless it directly affects the safety and well being of the American people.

Most importantly, do not provide welfare, medicare, social security, or any other benefit to any Non-US citizen or a person that has not paid into the Social Security and Tax system.

April 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  21. Gene Lucas

The market is way overpriced, with very low PE's prevailing. Earnings need to be higher than money market rates. It's only on Dilbert that,"profits are for losers."

April 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  22. Angie

Jump back into the Market?

Excuse me for asking, but:
    1)why is it that people are always advise not to put their money into the market that they need to survive on?
    2)Why is it that people are always advise to put what little money they can into a savings account every month for emergencies before they even think about the stock market?
    3)why is it that people are always advise that if they put their money into the stock market make sure it is money that they really don't need?

Gee, but could it be because the Stock Market is a risk and not a sure thing? Just asking the obvious.

April 16, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  23. RAMON BAEZ

I don't trust the financial sector, I learned the lesson, I rather go to the business of buying properties in America, that's the best stock market that I can think of.

April 16, 2010 at 11:52 am |