Today on CNN Newsroom

April 17th, 2010

International Adoptions

U.S. officials will travel to Moscow soon to discuss the future of U.S.-Russian adoptions.   Russia recently said it will suspend adoptions of Russian children by U.S. families after a Tennessee woman sent her adopted Russian son back to Moscow, all by himself.   She sent a note saying the child had psychological problems and violent tendencies.

U.S officials appear optimistic the adoption issue can be resolved, and they say adoption cases are still  moving forward.

There's no doubt adoption is a painstaking process.  CNN's Fredricka Whitfield talked with Dr. Amy Pakula of the Marcus International Adoption Center about the unique challenges of international adoptions.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. John D

Lets send this woman from Tennesse to Russia and call it extradition. Besides this woman must of sound dumb and why didn't she just commit her adopted son to a mental institution in Tennesse and my guess she has never heard of one. What a pile of Garbage I heard of my whole life. I hope that woman reads my comment and responds.

April 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  2. Carl

If I were the Russians I'd be asking for verifible proof on how America has ensured safety with these adoptions since this incident. I'd be asking how your airlines in the U.S. would accept a child on board traveling alone without asking questions and banning that child from the flight. If you are that sloppy about security in America whats to stop a terrorist from strapping explosives to a child and putting them on any flight?

April 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  3. Scottish Angela

I hope she is never allowed to adopt a child again.
    When we are provided with childern by adoption or by normal birth. we do not get a written gurantee as to the health of the child or what the health issues later on may be. If this woman had given birth herself to a child and they child turned out to have health issues, what would she do send it back to the womb?
    All childern deserve love and taken care of, we can not pick and choose what genetic disorders may be fall or childern.
    Does that mean the child does not deserve love and care.
    This woman sounds like she wants a designer baby how very very sad. I hope that the child she cruelly sent back to Russia gets the love and care it so richly deserves. As for the woman, I hope no one ever considers giving her a child she does not deserve to be a mum.

April 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  4. Sharon,Daniel Island, South Carolina

apparently we have made adopting american children so difficult that potential parents rather face years of waiting and paperwork to adopt a child from another country. we should revisit the barriers making adopting american children so difficult.

April 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  5. michael armstrong sr.

American's should adopt American children and wannabe parents needs to decide if they want a puppy or a child .

April 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  6. barbara bishop

We have so many children in our own country that need a loving family and someone to care for them. Why do we think we have to go abroad for a child?

April 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
  7. Sha

As an adoptive mother of a child from Russia and two girls from Moldova, I am horrified by the actions of the family that sent this little boy back to Russia, unattended, on a plane. As a social worker myself, I have seen, firsthand, the joy that adoption brings to families. I certainly hope that a few very bad eggs won't keep the thousands of wonderful US parents from realizing their dream to adopt.

As for why people adopt overseas, I get so annoyed at this question. Why is it that people who have biological children feel they have the right to dictate to parents who wish to adopt where, when, and how they should do so? Parenting is a personal choice and there are many factors that go into deciding what the best plan is for each family. Obviously, we have many children in our country that need homes. But, who are we to say that we have to ignore the needs of orphans, many in institutions, because we should be single-handedly solving the problems of the US? Until you have traveled overseas and seen an orphanage, do not presume to know what it is you are talking about. US, Russia, whatever – children EVERYWHERE have a right to a forever family. If you think people need to adopt children in the US, then maybe that it what God is calling YOU to do.

April 19, 2010 at 5:40 am |
  8. ek

My sister and brother in law are in the final stages of an adoption from Russia. They are actually in Russia for their final court date to get custody. They had just arrived there when this whole incident occured. Penalizing them and every other American who wants to provide a loving home for a child due to the wreckless act of one person is crazy. Russia is using this as a political ploy to the deteriment of many Russian children who still need good homes.

To answer one persons question of why many go abroad for adoptions....imagine pouring your life into a child adobted from here in America, treating it as your own for years and then 10 years later having the birth parent change their mind and take the child back. Our society gives too many rights to "biological" parents instead of those who have really been the child's parents for years. If America protected the rights of adoptive parents of American children I think there would be a potential for more adoptions of American children.

April 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm |