Today on CNN Newsroom

April 24th, 2010

Immigration Showdown

The nation's toughest new immigration law is under fire.  Arizona's governor signed the controversial legislation Friday amid protests.

Advocacy groups are already planning legal challenges.

The new statute authorizes police to check whether someone is in the country illegally.  Arizona officials say they must do what the federal government won't do.

But critics are vowing to fight the new law in court.

CNN's Fredricka Whitfield checked with legal experts,  Richard Herman and Avery Friedman, to find out if they think the new law will pass legal muster.

/video/bestoftv/2010/04/24/nr.immigration.battle.cnn

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. az lawman

Az lawman say google az 1070 bill. You will find a pdf. Then read the bill with a highliter 3 times. Then come back here with you 2 cents. Why? 90% of you do not even know what is in the bill, and you look stupid arguing you feelings wrongly.

April 24, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  2. lee

hope this gives people better safety in this place where crimes is out of controll

April 24, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
  3. Al Root

It's about time that someone stands up against the immigration crap that is out of control, thanks to Obama and his screwed up administration. Time each state protects the rights of Americans and the hell with the outlaws. Wasting taxpayer money trying to prosecute or sending the mexicans home. The right way would make sure they never appear again, but we're to rightous for anything like that. Ship Obama back with them, he has not showed his proof of citizenship either. Seems odd he protects all the losers and aliens, don't you think. Time to stand together and eject all the losers including anyone standing in the way. Stand up and be counted. Governor of Arizona did.

April 24, 2010 at 9:09 pm |
  4. AbusedCitizen

It is reasonable to expect the pro-crime advocacy groups to oppose any laws that may restrict human trafficking, drug smuggling, or gun running. There are huge investments that may be lost.

April 24, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  5. Jeryl

It's about time someone took steps to curb the flood of illegal aliens and the criminals coming across our southern border. Of course, most of them are not criminals, except for the fact that breaking the law makes one a criminal. But, thousands of criminals are coming across the border, too. However, our government doesn;t seem to care. Kudos to the brave Arizonians for doing what the Fed is too mealy-mouthed to do.

April 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Ann Wright

Hey Are you going to try to send Black people, and African Americans back to Africa? Are you pleased with yourself that half of Arizona belonged to the Mexican, and you took that from them. Are you going to take the American Indians land back. Hey where are the Black Americans and Africa American 40 Acres and a mule?

April 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Roan Garcia-Quintana

As a naturalized American citizen of Spanish heritage I would gladly show proof of my legal status if it means protecting the USA from the illegal alien invasion that we are experiencing. This law is not aimed at any particular nationality. Illegal aliens come in all shapes, colors and nationalities. The federal government has done nothing to enforce the laws that have been on the books since 1986. Each state should follow Arizona's lead and do the right thing. Each state should also punish employers of illegal aliens by removing their license to operate. Removing the magnet is the only way that we will get rid of this invasion. Congratulations to Arizona for having the temerity to face this issue head on.

April 24, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  8. jlvhale

CNN has covered in one week more film footage of the Arizona protests against a state plan on the immigration bill than it did on the Tea Party's yearlong rallies protesting federal government spending, and the healthcare plan. I find that an interesting statement of what and how CNN management picks its news coverage.

April 25, 2010 at 12:03 am |
  9. Anne Cardinal

It seems to me that Governor Brewer is actually acknowledging the racist nature of this legislation as she attempts to deny it. Why would the police need such specialized training in how to implement the law if it weren't inherently racist? There has been cultural sensitivity training, mental health training, domestic violence training, child abuse training, etc and still there are significant problems in the day to day response to these calls. When we enact legislation that permits racism, training isn't going to be enough of an answer. Shame on our Governor- she did not step out of her own box long enough to look at the potential fallout of this law from all the angles. And that, in short, is the job of those in leadership positions. Clearly, she did what she is comfortable with, not what would have been more prudent.

April 25, 2010 at 12:31 am |
  10. Bob

Well if the government would have been doing their job we wouldn't have a stand off. Illegal is illegal they have broken the law. Why should these people have any rights. Let them come through elis island like my grandparents did. Get legal papers have a sponsor pass a physical like many other immigrants have done in the past. The illegals have cost the american people billions of dollars.I could go on and on but you know as well as I it is not right.

April 25, 2010 at 2:08 am |
  11. Luis Teixeira

The immigration exist and been exist since the begining of the world, is a human right, and this right no body can taked from you, you can regulate the immigration and protect our border, but you can look for immigrants inside the country and hunt them, is profiling, violent, increase the hate and the racism.....and is going directly to the Hispanic people...please not do that...

April 25, 2010 at 7:54 am |
  12. GloriaS

These "laws" can only be thought of and implemented in southern states. It is unbelievable how openly backward and racists these people are.

April 25, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  13. Pedro Olivares

A Boycott of all products coming out of Arizona will be left in Semi Truck to spoil and traveler going by your state will gas in NM and Ca.
    No stay over at Arizona Hotels and eat at your resturants.

No Latino tourist will visit your state or contribute to your economy.

April 25, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  14. Glenn Costello

Well you all know I'm a die hard Democrat but I applaud Arizona for finally growing a pair and getting something done with a huge problem we have in America! I have been watching this closely and The officials of Arizona said it best...""Illegal is illegal," said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. "We'll ...have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms." AND to call them "UN-documented" is a joke! It's NOT like they cross our borders and walk right into INS! No, they (unlike my father and his brothers) come here and break our laws, and undermind the very principle of which this country was built on. Arizona (like many other states) have been asking for help from our Federal government for many years ....now they have put thier foot down and for that I applaud them!

April 25, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  15. Deb

Crossing into this country illegally is a crime. When found or involved in a police investigation, police absolutely should have the right to check someones status. I would have no problem with police checking my status, as I have nothing to hide. Illegals cry EVERY time any there is ANY type of immigration enforcement. They think being illegal is a right and they are exempt from following this country's laws. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time !

Oh wait, I went to the bank yesterday and they asked me for an ID. I think they racially profiled me.

April 25, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  16. Rosa Gomez

I am hispanic and I don't feel discriminate if police ask me for papers, they are doing their job.

April 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  17. Jeremy

Police checking if someone / something is legal or not. . .hmmm.

Isn't that their primary function?!

April 26, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  18. jack c.

Immigration been a "Hot Potato" that neither party has not wanted to touch. Now is the time to have them act . Obey our Laws of the Land. Not change them...not break them...but obey them. It's either legal or illeagal. Keep those who are legal here and get rid of those who are not. What part of the law doesn't government understand?

April 26, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  19. Spencer J. and Pamela T. Atkinson, PFTLD

Blog about Arizona's Law on Immigration 4-26-2010
    Question: Who will not benefit from the new Arizona's Law on Immigration?
    Answer: Illegal Aliens
    Question: If the new Arizona's Law on Immigration remains and is adopted by the Federal Government as well, who benefits?
    Answer: United States of America will have a better weeding out process to eliminate illegal aliens, drug dealers, criminals, and freeloaders. The fact that there will be some racial profiling is the cost we pay for a better America. The ends in this case justify the means.

April 26, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  20. Jackie Burns

All LEGAL aliens shouldn't mind carrying their green cards in an effort to keep the illegals from over-taking America. Carrying a green card and having to show it is part of the deal of becoming an American citizen. They have an "entitlement" attitude in place of an "appreciation" attitude. The US is the only country that immigrants can become citizens – it is a privilege – not a right.

April 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  21. Al M

Rick Sanchez, Arizona Senate Bill 1070, you comented that seventy percent of the population are in favor of this bill. Understandably, that the 2000 resident census population is, White: Seventy.five percent and Hispanic/Latino: Twenty five.three percent. That is why most persons in Arizona favor the Short Title: "Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neigborhoods Act"

April 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  22. Peter Thieberger

The only fair way is for all of us to have good safe photo ID showing that we belong in the US. We use photo ID now when driving, at airports, banks, car rentals agencies, employment interviews and so on. Nothing would change, except that we would have a secure ID that is much more difficult to falsify. No profiling, no discrimination, no problem if you are legit. But if you are illegal is another story.
    Peter

April 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  23. PRINCE RAY ANTWAN ALEXANDER

I recommend proper review of Bill that was just pass because of crime in a state which has been the battle of land since it was born. I will likely accept that everyone that was not born in Arizona have a passeport. Very common sense like other nations. Follow the American Laws and dont kill Americans.

April 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  24. PRINCE RAY ANTWAN ALEXANDER

I am pretty sure the Mexicans worldwide will agree that foreigners are welcome to Mexico but when you kill there kids you will get worse treatment. Mexico accept all spanish citizens in North America & South America. Having an extra leader in Mexico will be on the table May 5 2010 to 2012 (offical month undecided).

FIRST PRIME MINISTER

April 26, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  25. Truman

These immigration protesters know they have nothing to fear if they are here legally, so they're only protesting the fact that they have family and loved ones here illegally. So why should we allow so much of our TV coverage for an illegal act to protect only law breakers.
    This law was brought to help law enforcement stop the drug trade and the violence that the cartels are spilling over our borders. Unless they're involved in the drug trade and distribution of drugs would they be howling so loud! It's stopping their income.

April 27, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  26. Caficio

It's a silent invasion from countries who have a high rate of poverty, but they have created that issue, why the States have to absorb that problem.
    They get rid of their problems and send them here, they in return send money to their families and help their economy of their respective countries, thay is why they're lobbying in Washington for the inmigration
    reform.
    Have not seeing a country that discurage their citizens to not tocome to the States, and try to create jobs etc.to have them stay there, by the contrary, by let them leave their country, they get rid of lots of headaches and money flowing back later on.
    On the other hand, they have pretty tough inmigration laws on to protect they citizens, jobs etc.
    Every one of them is trying to milk the States some way of another.

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  27. TonyInLargo

Let them stay...............but make them pay.!

April 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
  28. T.J.

Immigrants, both legal and illegal, come to our country for jobs. If you want to stop illegal immigration then simply enforce immigration law upon employers. Make the fines so draconian that no business will risk hiring an illegal alien. I don't blame immigrants for wanting a better life, but I do blame stupid politicians who refuse to make smart immigration policy. We need to bring in educated, English speaking immigrants from around the world and refuse entry to impoverished, uneducated, welfare loving free loaders. How can something so simple be so complicated?!?!

April 28, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  29. Dan

Look, its a two way street here. Mexico needs to help us enforce boundaries more, and we need to take more initiative in immigration laws. I am a strong believer in the idea that those who wish to live in this country need to go through the standard procedure, fill out the paperwork, do all the things that any other immigrant would have to do. It's a lose-lose for the immigrants, those who may have illegally come over 5 or ten years ago who are now legal to work and live are, as American's once were, having their jobs taken right out from under their noses. I'm not even sure how this should be debate, considering the opposing side to mine would essentially be "Let all immigrants in, never record them, laws don't apply to them." Mexico says their people will 'face harassment' in this country? Well of course, when your jumping fences around nationally syndicated borders and immigration stations, and it would be foolish to think Mexico would not act in the same fashion.

April 28, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  30. Nancy Adkins

I recently was near the border in New Mexico. I was stopped by Homeland Security and was questioned. They also searched my trunk because I was driving down a dirt road near the fence. No signs were posted. We have many gravel roads in Montana. It took me a long time before I realized that they thought I was Mexican. When I explained that I was of Italian descent, the problem ended. I am opposed to this new law and feel that it will result in racial profiles.....etc. Will everyone have to carry a passport with them.

April 28, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  31. Adrian Vidaurri

I used to deliver U.S mail in the Anaheim, Ca when I was in college. In the beginning of each month I would deliver welfare checks to this area. In some cases I would deliver more than one check to an address, well knowing that there was only one family that lived in the house. The next day I would pick up certified mail being sent to Mexico. What I found out was that these people were cashing these checks at an exchange rate by criminals, and sending the money back to Mexico. And what about those kids that are attending public schools that their parents are NOT here illegally. So that means there are not paying into the school via taxes. So my kids have to wait in line, when I pay my taxes.

April 28, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  32. lee jeffries

I feel that all states should have this law. If we dont stop these illegals. The crime and violence, the kidnapping, the killing will be just like juaraz mexico and innocent americans will be killed. And after the illegals kill they avoid jail by going back across the border.

April 28, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  33. johan

As an american living in Amsterdam nl. studying art I can tell you my europe freinds think that a lot of Americans have lost thier collective minds! I and my freinds have had to show OUR PAPERS many times as
    we travel around from country to country, I'am white but I don't feel like its a racest problem it thier gove trying to protect thier people. WAKE UP PEOPLE you are about to let a small % dictate what you do & how
    you live! Spain is about to be the next Greece their system is coming apart because a few turned thier eyes & a flood of Africans have over loaded thier soc/sys's,BELIVE me I see it with my own eyes.

April 28, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  34. Phillip Mihai

Racial profiling?? Well lets see........ these people totally disregard the laws by coming here illegally. They cost us US tax dollars. I worked 30 years at a very demanding job and paid Big Dollars to fed. tax and Social Security. Now i am disabled and CAN NOT work, yet i have been denied MY MONEY that i paid in. BUT, some illegal alien can wonder across the border and automatically have rights to MY MONEY. Its time for OUR government to start taking care of US.... The tax payer. It seems like any illegal group that breaks our laws in this country and then complains about how they are being treated get prefferencial treatment, while the hard working American citizens gets what ever ' left overs ' there are. This country NEEDS to stop worrying about being PC and start worrying that this PC stuff is tearing our country apart. GROW UP CITIZENS. I love America and dont care to give it away to avoid offending someone who doesnt belong here to begin with.

April 28, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  35. THETRUTH

Mexicans have taken away the true meaning of immigration and has become the poster people of what immigration shouldn't be.But because our government allow them to go uncheck,there populution in this country has risen faster than any other group of people.I think that there should be restriction on Mexicans in America and allow those who've gone the right way about becoming a citizen have a chance.

April 28, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  36. Larry

What do people not understand that "Illegal" means breaking the Law? Immigrant means from another country that one is now living in. I see no indication in the law that profiles anyone. If I were to go to Africa to one of their countries and did not have a permit to be there I would be an illigal. If I decided to live there in violation of their laws I would be an illegal resident or immigrant. I would also be an alien in that country, and not from another world as ET, as the demonstrators carrying signs would have you belive with"WE ARE HUMAN".

April 28, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  37. Anne

I think that the Arizona law is absolutely misguided. I have an adopted daughter from Guatemala. She is as much an American citizen as I am, whose family came over on the Mayflower. We have always told her she was born in Guatemala, but that she is an American. She is only 8, but I always worried about the "Americans" like the ones in Arizona, who may immediately call her an alien( she is NOT ALIEN, she is human), by looking at her. That is no better than the jewish people who were made to wear stars by Hitler, so that they could be readily identified as jewish.

April 28, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  38. Kathleen

Those not living in a border state have no idea how big the illegal immigrant problem is. I'm from AZ and now live in Escondido, CA which is essentially a refuge city for illegals. What about all the young women who make it across the border in time to give birth here, or after they arrive quickly become pregnant and have an "American Citizen" child? They are then eligible for free medical care, food stamps and welfare for the child. The more you have, the more you get. Everyday I see these very young mothers pushing strollers around town with 2 or 3 kids. They have no education, don't speak English, and no fathers are in sight. We need to change the law giving automatic citizenship and free social services to children born here if the parent is here illegally.

April 28, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  39. Brook McDonald

Concerning the Arizona Bill

As a country we are so afraid at offending anyone we can loose sight of our common sense. Laws like the one in Arizona have already been enacted many years ago in other states like California and my home state of Utah. It is not the law that is in the wrong… What has incited the minds of the people (generally minority groups) is their FEAR of how the law will be carried out. While our country’s past may justify concern, I like to think we have come along way from such abuse and feel it best to wait and watch how the law will be enforced. In those other states it is generally peaceful, and if not, all individuals “citizens or not” have recourse through the court system. If this law is unconstitutional it will eventually end up in the court system to be so challenged. While Illegals might not put trust in the American system of government, we Americans should, give it time to work.

Brook

PS The Arizona Bill does NOT supercede Federal law.. it "aligns" with it.

PPS The comments of the Mexican embassy are unfounded... The engender fear in the Mexican population be telling them our undifined guidelines in the law will lead to profiling with abandon. This is simply not so. Perhaps if the law had the same wording but was a "Mexican Law" it would be interpreted to lead to profiling, but here in the United States we do things differently, and those familiar enough with US law know there is no real cause for alarm. The Arizona police are professional and will continue act that way. As for politictians bringing focus to the matter, what else do you expect them to do with a bunch of Legal Immigrants (that don't really understand our legal system) breathing down their throats as their voting base... they have to show they are doing something to keep them happy, so it turns into a charade of show... heck they might even enact some pointless law that has no real effect to change to the reality of how the law is interpreted, but helps immigrants understand it better.

April 28, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  40. John

Are roadside sobriety and Drivers License ID Checks racial profiling – No. They are a means to verify that people are following the law. Making a check on immigration while checking license during a routine traffic stop, investigating a crime, verifying identify of witnesses and all the other reasons law enforcement would check identification is not racial profiling its LAW ENFORCEMENT. Before you yell FIRE first make sure something is burning. There has been no proof that the AZ law enforcement has conducted racial profiling so the same argument being use that the law enforcement folks will profile racially is that all law enforcement automatically will profile. Kettle call the pot black. How else is law enforcement going to determine who is in the US lawfully or not, will those here illigally turn themselves in or will the community turn them in – NO.

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  41. Jeff

Thanks to Arizona for taking a lead against illegal immigration! As far as racial profiling, it may be unfortunate, but if police are looking for a 6ft. white male with dark hair who just robbed a bank and I am in the area then I expect them to stop me. Should I scream racial profiling. If we as law abiding citizens can help police by being questioned or made to show our ID, help them catch non-citizens from breaking the law, I am all for it.

April 28, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  42. thomas

Arizona has every right to try and fix this problem that is affecting their state in a negative way. Other states should not act in a childish matter and tell people and make there employees boycott another state that is in a "State of Emergency" for the citizens safety from individuals that are here illegally. The president of Mexico should take a look at his own country because they absolutely do not like the illegal immigrants that come into there country and their law enforcement commits many abuses.

April 28, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  43. doing something!

I agree that there has to be something different done because protecting the boarders is not working. I am sorry that it has gotten to this. If many had not come illegally this would not have to happen...but something does have to change with illegal persons being here...they have to get in line just like everyone else. It is about time something that might work is done.

(thank for allowing our input).

April 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
  44. Paul

If Arizona loses jobs as a result of their racist behavior, that's good. New Mexico and Southern California and Nevada will gain those tourists.

April 28, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  45. Dave

Must be nice to go to another country , live and work illegally ,also not pay any tax . I would be taking a legal persons job opportunity away from them that needs to work. I agree i should be deported . It's about illegal people not race,colour or what you wear. The goverment should follow the law unless it is legal to live ,work and not pay taxes in your country. Note: I would be glad to show my status if asked!!

April 28, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  46. Stephanie

The current immigration law is too vague and doesn't really move foward to achieve the goal of citizernship. This Immigration law covers any ethnicity. My son bi-racial (black/white) has been mistaken for Spanish and Iranian–he could be asked. So be it he is a legal US citizen. However, what proof do you have to carry with you to prove this (a Birth Certificate). You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If the Police don't really want to do this then they won't. Although they should because it's their duty to uphold the law, the law has the human element–what does an Illegal Immigrant look like to that particular Police Officer. We need a permanent fix the US needs the money they earn to atleast be taxed. Permanent fix: have all Illegal Immigrants register with the City in which they live. They will have a document showing this registration and it gives them say 90-days to either go home without penalty/fine or pay an initial payment for citizenship. This would also involve the Police because if they don't come in within the 90-days then the Police would visit to "extradite" them immediately. That way the Police involvement would be warranted rather than just randomly pulling people over.

April 28, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  47. Joe Imbriano

Any well educated politician or lawmaker, even those of "Latino" decent, should know, understand and admit that illegal immigration is illegal even if it is a difficult law to fully enforce.
    Just because a law is difficult to enforce and is continuosly broken doesn't give reason or excuse for the law makers to make any allowances or concessions for its further erosion. Just because they are inept and failing to enforce the law doesn't mean it should be overlooked. Instead they should strive to create a law that works in an effort to prevent these illegal aliens from entering our country.
    Would you feel comfortable if you were property owner in southern Arizona who experiences the constant trespass of illegal aliens and even drug smugglers across your property? Would you feel comfortable as an unemployed american citizen who has lost a job because an illegal has taken your place?
    If I park my car illegally I recieve a fine which is a deterent. The government should create a task force that fines businesses for hiring illegal aliens. For example, a ten thousand dollar fine per illegal for business owners should act as a good deterent to curb the illegal hiring of illegal aliens. The american government doesn't hire illegal aliens and neither should private business. We need to fine the businesses. See how fast the restaurants, contractors and other businesses start handing out the walking papers and hiring american citizens.
    Roll up your sleeves and start doing your job boys and girls.

Joe Imbriano, New York

April 28, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  48. Dan

How many of the individuals in the crowd are legally in the U.S.? Wow wouldn't that be a hoot! Check out Mexico's SOUTHERN BORDER and see how many illegal aliens are coming into Mexico and then do the philosophical rhetoric which ensues.

April 28, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  49. George T.

I live in Tucson, and support the bill 100%. Everyday there are incidents involving Massive amounts of Drup seizures, home invasions, robberies, homicides, etc.... usually involving Weapons and "Illegal" aliens. The term "Illegal" meaning....without proper Documentation. As for the San Francisco City Supervisor not wanting to send his City Employees to Arizona,....he mentioned El Paso joining in on the boycott....All I can say to that....."Send them to El Paso".....While there, they will get a taste of what is happening on the Border....The'lly will love him for that!...and probably never go back!

April 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  50. Dave

If it is legal for me to enter your country, live, work and not pay taxes as an illegal person / immigrant and not get deported please send me confirmation that i can do so. I'll be waiting!!!

April 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
  51. Harvey J. Garza

A CNN Correspondent Innes Ferre (hope the name is spelled correctlly) in conjunction with the New Arizona Law . . . had spoke to a Levi Bolton Member (President?) of the Arizona Law Enforcement Asssociation. Levi Bolton clearly stated that tis law as enforced by the law enforcement Officers/Agents in Arizona "Is Not About Racial Profiling", rather, this Law SB 1070 "Deals With A Persons Conduct". It is my observation in watching CNN Coverage on Arizona's Immigration Law that various news anchors, correspondents/reporters, the Obama Administration . . . feel somehow that this Law is all about Racial Profiling. And this is clearly not the case. Many Politicians are jumping on the bandwagon to seemingly support the Mexican People (Citizens & Illegals) for Political Gain in Up Coming Elections. Other People have Images of Law Enforcement Officers/Agents stopping everyone that remotely looks "Hispanic" and Demand their "Papers". The Mexican President Philipe Caulderon feels that the Mexican People be allowed into the United States, because "they just want to work and earn a living". The Prior Mexican President Vincente Fox once stated: "What is ours is ours, and what's yours is ours". This remark to the U.S. Government dealing with the Subject of Illegal Immigration. POINT: There are many many people around the world who would like to become a U.S. Citizen in Hopes of Achieving the American Dream. These Law Abiding People are extremely patient in their Application for U.S. Citizenship . . . filling out/completing the necessary legal documents; and Simply Wait Their Turn In Securing a U.S. Citizenship. I've read that this process has taken ten, twenty years, maybe more in some cases . . . yet; these Law Abiding Worldly Citizens are Patient and Totally Adhere to Immigration Laws. The Mexican Citizens elevate themselves above and beyond those of other countries who are Patient and Adhere to the Legality of Immigration Laws. Citizenship is a Previlege; Not a Right. This Country is a Country of Laws. In United States; to Conduct Oneself in a Lawful Manner is Allows Expected of its' Citizens . . . in the U.S.; to Conduct Oneself in an Unlawful Manner is Never Allowed and is Totally Unexemptable as a Citizen. For the Mexican Citizens of Mexico (as well as all Hispanic Citizens of other Countries) to Expect to Be Above The Law, and to Simply Be Given United States Citizen is Totally Delusional At Best. If a Person Lawfully Immigrates into this Country (U.S.) and Lawfully Becomes a Citizen of this Country . . . Then Great For Them. So Far; the Illegal Hispanics Citzens Of Other Countries (Mainly Mexico) Could Care Less About Becoming Citizens of the United States. NOTE: In a Past March On Washington by a Mass of Hispanic People (Some U.S. Citizens; and a Whole Bunch of Illegal Hispanics) . . . a young Hispanic Male wore a white shirt that had this Message for United States Citizens: "I'am Illegal, So What?". It's there Totally Disregard of Right and Wrong by the Illegal Hispanic Masses in the Uniited States [estimates of 11 Million; more like 20+ Million Illegals in the U.S.] that Prompts States Like Arizona to Enhance Their Approach to Fullly Address All Laws that Impact the Citizens of Arizona. Again; this is not a Human Rights Issue; It's an Issue of Conduct. And if a Conduct constitutes an Infraction of the Law; then their are Consequences to an Unlawful Act (Conduct) . . . as in; Arrest and Deportation if the Person(s) are in the United States without Lawful Legal Documentation. Right is Right; and Wrong is Wrong.

April 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
  52. Linda Hotaling

So if you are an Illegal in this country , It's okay because our Federal Government Leaders must be Illegals also.Just Keep letting them come into our Country and Have a litter of Children they can't afford so they can get on Welfare and let the Tax payers take care of them. Let the few people who have jobs and there homes flip the bill for these illegals. Keep letting the drugs come into our country so more of our children can grow up to be dope addicts and commit crimes. Better yet why don't all the so called Democratic Leaders Move down on the border and give each one a big Hug and warm welcome as they cross over into our country. You idiots in Washington that are crying about Constitutional Rights!!!! You don't even know how to take care of the American Banking and Wall Street Thieves. How are you going to take care of this Illegal Immigration Problem? Think about it You idiots in Washington don't even know what you are doing or saying. So stay out of it and let Arizona do what they have to do.

April 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  53. WTH

So you just showed examples of "reasonable suspicion" on CNN Newsroom. Well, these are reasons that are already justified for pulling someone over without this new law. You showed cops pulling someone over for blown out tail lights, speeding, and other things that a cop can pull a person over for without this law. So I still don't see a justified reason for having this law. There are Republicans that can see that this law is unconstitutional.

April 29, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  54. SirRobRN

Among other things,the only thing this new Immigration law will do,is to keep on creating more racial profiling,alot of discrimination,and abuses against the Latinos in Arizona.And now the Arizona police dept.,will be viewed as the next Gestapo bullies,when they start going around, enforcing the new law,that will create alot of fear, panic, hatred,mistrust, and anxiety among the Latino population in Arizona, as well as the rest of the border towns near Arizona.But because of this new law,that was passed and supported by the Republican Party,and the Tea Party movement,they will now suffer another massive defeat in the next elections,because the Latino vote,will no doubt be in favor,and go to the Democratic Party,and president Obama.Something the Republican party forgot about,when they took the Latino voters for granted in America.Once again,"the party of no",will again suffer another humiliating loss,because of their own recklessness,and ignorance,when they supported this new Immigration law,which make them look racist,and disrespectful against all the Latinos in America.

April 29, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  55. John

Hispanics who want a better life should demand change in their own country. America should not be the world's ark.
    Tell your congressperson that America wants the same immigration laws that Mexico has.
    Tell you congressperson to tax the churches who challenge Arizona's immigration law.
    Tell your congressperson to deny all federal funding to sanctuary cities.

April 29, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  56. E.Diaz

It's time to do something about this inmigration madness.The US rejects people from other countries who could legally be here because too many cross the border illegally. As an inmigrant, it took me ten years and thousands of dollars to come to the US legally only to find that there were those cutting in line and coming into the US illegally every day by the thousands. it cost me thousands to pay for tuition when illegals were getting free tuition and financial aid. I had been laid off because they could get two people for the same pay. I had to pay twice as much and work twice as hard because I followed the law. Now they are talking about giving amnesty to about 11 million who broke the law and cut in front of the line. How is that fair? Why isn't anyone holding signs and protesting about this injustice? what about all the people whose lives and dreams to come to America are being put on hold because amnesty will be given to millions that just crossed the border without background checks or any scrutiny and clog the health, education and financial systems.

April 29, 2010 at 11:43 am |
  57. carlos

Hey Josh,

Thanks for getting out those statistics and I hope it will help educate the country that this issue is much deeper than Mexican day laborers and smugglers. I have been on the 'Wait list' since for 22 years after being brought here as child. The story is just 1 of 11 million but the evidence shows the system is broken. I hope these figures get more exposure on other CNN broadcasts to make people understand the frustration of those who are suffering because of the legal misteps and mistakes of their parents and the INS/USCIS.

April 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  58. Randy

It's time to punish the companies that hire these illegals. Fine the people that do the hiring. It would stop them really quick if you fine them for any illegal that's working for their company. There would be no reason to come to the USA ,if there's no jobs for illegals.This would be easy to pass as law.

April 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  59. scott

Let's have a nation vote on illegal immigrants, stay or go home .

April 29, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  60. tom sandlin

You asked the question so I'll provide the answer, in re immigration demonstrations. The United States of America is my country. Not because I deserve it, but because I was blessed to be born here, therefore I am an owner, it's mine. Nowhere else on earth has a country over a long period of time been subjected to a forcible and yes even hostile invasion on a large scale, and the citizens just sat there and took it. For some years I have voiced my opposition to this, but no one except a few friends have seemed interested. Know this – I deeply and strongly resent this invasion, I don't want it, I reject it, and yes one might even say fairly that I am pissed. I find that these demonstrating loudmouths are beneath contempt, they are trying to secure something for nothing, yes even illegally. And the best my government can offer is pablum and thinly veiled intent to provide amnesty in the name of political expediency. This invasion should be forcibly rejected. And not tomorrow – forthwith.

May 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm |