Today on CNN Newsroom

April 25th, 2010

Will Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law lead to racial profiling?

Brooke Baldwin joins TJ Holmes this morning in the CNN Newsroom, 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. AmericanFirst

If you have a green card, carry it with you. Any foreign national should be able and willing to prove their legality. It used to be that immigrants had to file a yellow card every year by January 31 to INS indicating where they were living. Unfortunately, this stopped and we just don't enforce any federal laws. It is up to "we the people" in the states to establish our sovereignty and stand up to the federal government.

April 25, 2010 at 3:09 am |
  2. derc

I've been living in AZ for 18 years and I can assure you that law enforcement already engages in racial profiling as a matter of fact, a close friend recieved a settlement about a year ago related to this subject. This law is just going to encourage it a lot more.

April 25, 2010 at 3:32 am |
  3. Miguel

I think this law will help fight illigal immigration. If you have proof of your citizenship and lawful permanent residence in the U.S, NO PROBLEM!!!! just present that and you're good to go. The people who oppose this, are the one's with no legal status here or have family in that situation.

April 25, 2010 at 4:00 am |
  4. CarrWatt

Not only the BO Administration, but previous administrations before him have ignored the "illegal" issue, letting it grow out of control because of the vote. Shame on all!

All elected officials are responsible due to their greed and selfishness for their own good, vs We The People!

April 25, 2010 at 5:33 am |
  5. Macy from Georgia

This reminds of a Police State where if a police officer wishes so, may just stop a man or a woman and ask for his papers. This was practiced during the Nazi times in Germany, then in countries where there is a coup d'etat, it is again resorted to by law enforcing officials. I would like to ask if only the white Americans will be given such duty to inquire or will all who are employed in the police force can do this duty of inquiring for relevant papers.

April 25, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  6. Rosa Gomez

I don't think it is discrimination, this country is full of hispanics who has documents and obey the laws of this country and we are no body to question or try to change the law specially if it is for security of the country.
    They have to make line as we did, and they will be welcome, and will live in peace.
    The illegals want to win the game cheating.

April 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  7. Copperhead

When we DO catch them they only get deported . Big deal!
    They have commited a crime! Put then in Sheriff Joe's keeping for six months and require then to do some road work. That should discourage them.
    Americans need work.
    I sick of pressing 1 for English.

April 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  8. Bob

Why doesn't the government secure our borders? The government can deploy our National Gaurd to our borders. Isn't that what the National Gaurd is for to protect our Nation? I think the government shoud reinact the draft. If the illegals want to stay in America they must serve three years in our armed forces to earn their legal status. If not leave our country and quit bleeding our system.

April 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  9. dave

Republicans say seal the border first. That is political blocking. To physically seal that border is beyond budget. You know how many miles of border we have. It is an excuse to do nothing! We have been doing nothing for decades and we have 12 million unhandled illegal aliens to prove it. Cant deport them all at a cost of $6,000 each to process through court and pay their flight home. There is an alternative to court immigration bill cooking up on the hill and you "seal the border" by making the bill close the door on those who entered prior to a set date and making them prove residence prior to that date. For anyone newly illegally entering the United States, we can "seal the border" in a new way: stiffen the penalty for entry without inspection or over staying a visa to where it would be entirely repugnate to be illegal in the United States. Make it a well punished felony and remove the loop holes immigration lawyers are using to keep illegals in the United States. The new legislation I believes incorporates providing legal ways into the United States as well.
    Republicans know the "seal the border" is another way to do nothing yet another decade and puts them at odds with the democrats who want to finally provide a solution. I am becoming dis-illusioned with the Republicans for fighting any progress.

April 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
  10. David

So if an officer pulls you over in Arizona what will he/she base the decision to ask if you're an illegal immigrant on if its not your skin color or nationality?

April 26, 2010 at 12:21 am |
  11. Christina

Racial profiling goes on everyday – unspoken. It is a sad state of affairs when MOST Americans here originated from other countries and some of them think they have the right to legislate who's going to be here. Many of their parents wouldn't of made it here if there wasn't immigration opportunities. Illegal immigrants aren't the problem, LEGISLATOR's are and all their BS. Figure it out, control the borders, maybe we should help Mexico get their stuff together since they are our neighbor instead of the Middle East where we will never win or be successful.

April 26, 2010 at 12:30 am |
  12. Jeremy

I can offer a unique perspective as an American who lived in Europe for the past 4 years.

1 – Requiring documentation – This is standard, and should be. I always carried a copy of my valid work visa in my wallet, just like my drivers license in USA. This would quickly show authorities that I'm legal there. I forgot about this small paper in my wallet. And never viewed it as a violation of my rights, since I wasn't a citizen there.

2 – I have no sympathy for illegal immigrants. My European wife is stranded in Europe now, because she's going through the LEGAL process of immigrating to our great country. Try not seeing your spouse for months because you're doing as the law says, and then dealing with whining illegals who crept into USA in the dark of night.

We are a nation of immigrants, and I fully support continuing immigration from all nations which makes our country diverse & balanced. When tens of millions of one nation's citizens sneak in illegally, the balance is shattered. And to make the situation worse, our politicians are afraid to do the right thing (deportation) because they view these scoundrels as a future voting block.

Illegal immigration hurts us all. And those of us who either immigrated legally or whose family has to suffer months of separation to do the "right thing" are victims. We watch people cut in line endlessly, and Obama sees nothing wrong. "Protect their rights". What about thinking of Americans first?

April 26, 2010 at 7:49 am |
  13. Jackie Burns

America must take all measures necessary to deter the incoming tide of illegal aliens. Down with "political correctness" – it is our nation's downfall. It is a privilege to be an American Citizen and we should all be prepared by carrying a citizenship card at all times – just like a driver's license.

April 26, 2010 at 7:53 am |
  14. Terry

I don't understand what the problem with Arizona's law.The law states in the normal operations.That means if they stop you while you are driving and you don't speak english, no problem you must be visiting from another country.Do you have a drivers license? What no drivers license (REDFLAG)Do you have any identification? What no Identification? Oh well that's alright just go on you way!
    Is this what we really want ? No if someone is asked to produce some sort of identification from the police in their normal course of investigation then they have an obligation find out who this individual really is.No Drivers license,No visa,No passport, No insurance if you are driving?These are ALL legitimate questions from a police officer.If they are walking down the street and the police say look there's a couple of Mexicans lets see if they are illegals.That's racial profiling and can not be tolerated .If the police have probable cause to question you then that;s fine.If the person being questioned feels that they we profiled then there are the courts for that.After all if I am stopped by the police they are going to want me to have some way of identifying my self.

April 26, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  15. John Tyler Erie, Pa

This will lead to racial profiling since most illegal immigrants are from Mexico. So the sins of a few will lead to the harassment of the innocent. If we pulled American troops from the middle east and put them on our borders and ports we would have better control over this situation.

April 26, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  16. Don

If politicians were not afraid of losing hispanic votes, we would have had reform a long time ago. Term limits are needed to remind our leaders that the biggest part of their service is no to keep getting reelected.

April 26, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  17. David

The rights of the few are now infringing on the rights of the many, the costs and security threat that illegal aliens pose are fair more important then ensuring them rights they have no claim to. How are we supposed to be the country of freedom if we sacrifice the freedoms of our citizens over non citzens first. Let's take care of our own then we can help others.

April 26, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  18. Nick S.

This law will no doubt about it lead to profiling, how else can stop someone "You Think" is in the country illegally. I'm a life time democrat but I can understand AZ reasons for doing this with the crime rate going on down there. I'm with the replubicans on this one. If there were reform, then this wouldn't of happen. Now AZ has forced the Admin to do something.

April 26, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  19. Rebecca, Glendale, AZ

I am a hispanic female who's family came here legally. Immigrants and illegal aliens are not the same thing–illegal aliens are breaking the law. When I travel to other countries I am required to have my passport and visa with me at all times. I fail to understand why this is considered a problem here when as a citizen if pulled over by police the first thing they ask me is for my I.D. which required I showed proof of citizenship to get in the first place. I am also not happy with Obama's comments about this new law. I believe he is misguided and ill informed if he does not realize the magnitude of the problem of illegals on the country's finances, security and general resources. Also he must not realize that there is no other country in the world I can think of the Americans can move to illegally and it not be a problem.

April 26, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  20. anna jacoby

Hooray for the governor of Arizona. Finally, a politician willing to publicly define and address a huge problem. I fully support her and wish that many other governors would do the same. The Washington clowns seem to have their heads in the sand. And you know what part of their anatomy that leaves vulnerable. Keep that in mind in November!

April 26, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  21. Roger

I support "Human Rights" That people should be treated with dignity and respect.
    What is lost in the indignation and perceived mistreatment is the fact that "WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES" have the right to require those who want to enjoy the freedoms "WE THE PEOPLE" to be here using the LAWS that make us "WE THE PEOPLE"
    I'm tired of being ignored by those who would abuse our rights and freedoms. Illegal aliens should not be allowed nor given those rights. ILLEGAL means just that ILLEGAL.
    AZ stood up... they have been overrun with illegals, Fair has nothing to do with what Illegals bring into this country.

April 26, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  22. D.J. Gula

No, the AZ law will not lead to profiling. Furthermore...
    Regarding illegal Immigration...It's not their race, it's their numbers!
    Over 12+M illegals, and over 31M of their children are destroying
    and overwhelming state, municipal & school budgets in America, etc.
    WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? Jesus would tell them to go home.
    WHY? Because anyone who actually r-e-a-d-s the Bible know
    that Jesus never advocated stealing or breaking the law.
    Illegals steal from Americans (free health care & free education)
    and break our laws every minute they are in America!

April 26, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  23. Julio

Illegal immigrants migrate to the US in search of a better life. sometimes one has to do what one has to do. There are many illegal immigrants who obey the law, pay taxes and are an asset to the U.S.. There are illegal immigrants who do the jobs that the Americans are not willing to do; The DIRTY JOBS: working in the fields for example. Most are working hard to support their families. The ones that are commiting crimes and have an illegal background should be the ones subjected to deportation. You cannot blame someone for trying to have a better life. Some americans are so quick to judge without knowing the circumstance in which some peple live in their country of origin. I can bet you 100% that if an american were to be in the immigrants place, they would to the same thing and migrate to the United States, which provides a better opportunity for success; something that is very scarce in other countries. in many countires, there are no clean water to drink, no adequate place to defecate, no reliable source of light, lack of jobs, no bed to sleep in. There are people who go many days without eating, its just horrible. I understand from a different point of view that some of them are taking american jobs. well, employers should enforce the educational requirements for a job. There are many jobs that are hirring but american citizens are so picky to choose them, so the immigrants get them. and so it seems that immigrants that are taking the jobs. There is a small percentage that are, but again it is a very small percentage. I believe that they should leave the one that are here in the U.S. and deport the ones that have a criminal background or contribute to crime or any malignancy effecting us.

April 26, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  24. Frieda Polinsky

Hi Tony, I am a third generation Italian-American.When my grandparents came to Amereica from Italy, they came for most of same reasons as immigrants(OF ALL COUNTRIES) had.B UT THEY DID IT LEGALY. They did not assume that because they have two feet on U.S. soil ,that they are now legal citizens.My grandparents had to learn to understand HOW TO LIVE IN THIS NEW COUNTRY and learn ENGLISH, in the speaking , writting from.Why do our neighbors to the south believe they are exempt from the laws of the country they so badly believe they belong to.Yes we have a great contry, but that because all of our citizens live within laws and we respect those laws.Without laws, we would have mayhem. as many do from other countries.

April 26, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  25. M.J. Smith

I feel that the american people are tired of the mexicans coming over here without going through the same channels that everyone else who want to come over to this country for other countries. All they have to do is run accross a river bed. We give them welfare, free medical etc. The government wouldn't even do this for the people who have lived here all their lives, the same deals. Why?? Would Mexico treat us the same if we ran accross the bourders??? NO !!!!I

I feel the we should STOP LETTING ANYONE INTO OUR COUNTRY !!!
    Churches need to STOP helping other countries out and HELP THE POOR of this country. Send everyone back who DO NOT WANT TO SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE and try to get along. I am sorry that their countries are in so much turmoil, but we are NOT the haven for them. I feel that everyone that have been brought oven by churches and other sympathic groups, should be sent back from where they came from!!

The mexican people should be requied to go down the legal avenue to be able to stay here. It is NOT profiling nor the color of the skin, it's the facts.

No other country in the world would do for us as we do for them . Would any country in Europe give us welfare and free loans if we went over ther either legally or illegally??? NO!!!

April 26, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  26. bob mitchell

regarding the hispanic soldier in arizonas comments about americas liberties being for everyone, that statement is only partially true, if you are in this country legally, then, yes, by all means enjoy all that america has to offer,...however....if you are here illegally, then none of americas liberties should be extended to you....period!.....and you should be fined, prosecuted, and even deported back to where you came from

April 26, 2010 at 11:30 am |
  27. Joseph

"If you have a green card, carry it with you. " works great if you are an immigrant. But what if you are a natural born US citizen from an immigrant family who happens to look and speak like an immigrant? What ID should you carry? This law is racist, pure and simple.

April 26, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  28. Lauren

I think that there should not be illegal immagration at all. Some immagraters might sneak out of the state and go to other states and it might be illegal in the other countries....

April 26, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  29. Sage

I think there should be no illegal imiggration. Thats all I have to say. I am ll. Does it look like a care? uhh no! My teacher told my class to blog on this subject but i have no idea what to write. So all I am going to say is I think there should be no illegall immigration. So now I am bored with this subject. I am going to move on to something that is actually worth my time. Bye!

April 26, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  30. Samuel James Robinson

Hey CNN: READ the bill. It essentially MANDATES racial profiling. Every person who is not white and speaking perfect, unaccented English will need to carry a greencard if they are not American, or a passport or something to prove they are not illegal if they are American. Illegal Canadians will be fine, but I know many US citizens who look and speak as if they are from Mexico.

April 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  31. maze1gerald

Now I looked at a news video of latinos protesting in arizona some were throwing gang signs at the camera nuff said.

April 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  32. thomas giron

if your here illegally your illegal and breaking the law. round em up and deport them asap. just show the permnament resident card issued by the immigration services. we have to card everyone. the only way to get the illegals out of this country is to weed them out and deport them. if they have been here fifteen years and don't have a immigration card, boot them out they are illegal. what don't you understand about breaking the law and being here illegal. they have brought crime and drugs.

April 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
  33. colleen

Oh my gosh! Everyone needs to calm down and see what happens. It seems to me that the only reason this was done was as a desperate measure to draw attention to the problem in this state. I don't live in Arizona and don't know what it's like to worry about the violence and crime they are faced with on a daily basis. I truly doubt the intention was for racial profiling and believe the Governor when she said she would not tolerate it.

April 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  34. David

If most Americans spent time in a country where there was no clean water to drink, no adequate place to defecate, no reliable source of light, a complete lack of jobs, and no bed to sleep in this debate would sound very different.

Obviously the US has the right to control its borders for the most basic reasons. But we, the leaders of the free world, can not ignore the basic human struggle going on in Arizona, and treat getting kicked out of the country like getting kicked out of a restaurant.

April 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  35. VerBul

I sympathize with the citizens of Arizona, who are now subjected to this new, demeaning "law". As an African-American (an "American of Color"), as far back as I can remember, I was stopped by the "Big 4" – not because I might be here illegally – just for being here!

April 26, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  36. Lee

I agree with the AZ law...my problem is with illegal, unlawful, undocumented...whatever they wish to call themselves...people who come to this country to live illegally...and feel they have the right not only to come here to live illegally but feel they have the right to pick and choose which laws they choose to obey ??? They whine and whine because they don't like our laws about immigration....well then....Go back to where you came from...the rest of us who are here as legal US Citizens are not afforded the right to decide what US Laws we want to obey & those we choose to 'dismiss"...we have to carry drivers licenses, passports etc.....why the heck is it such a big deal to carry proof that you are allowed to be here like the rest of us have to ? And if you choose to call it racial profiling...well maybe you should have done more to have encouraged such a high percentage of your "race" to go about it the legal way...they are the ones to blame for the stigma being given...NOT the United States. Also for those who say we are all children of immigrants...yes...but remember the fact that people had to get through Ellis Island with proper credentials and purpose....so forget that argument that it always used to be the way it is today....if you want to be here GET LEGAL...it is not fair to all of those who respect the country for it's laws as well as it's lifestyle...stop being Lazy....

April 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  37. VerBul

I understand – and appreciate – the need for immigration reform and its intended purpose. Unfortunately – and, especially in States such as Arizona and Texas (my birth-state) that originally were a part of Mexico – some law enforcement officials will only use this new "tool" to harasss and intimidate. They will be stopping law-abiding people – regardless as to whether they have committed an offense – simply because of the color of their skin!

April 26, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  38. Richard

The young soldier who was born in Mexico said he did not want to live in Arizona anymore. He said he was seriously thinking about taking off his uniform and quitting the U.S. military. Clearly, his commitment to the United States is paper-thin.

As a young man, my father came here from the Middle East to attend college. He never broke the law to enter the USA. He played by the rules. And he fell in love with America. He did the best thing he could do for America at that time during World War II – he quit college to join the army. You could have tortured him and he would not have betrayed his new country. The idea of taking off the uniform of the United States Army and going back to his old country never crossed his mind. My father was a loyal American, a member of the U.S. military even before he became a citizen. He is buried with his fellow soldiers in one of our nation's National Cemeteries.

So, please don't judge all legal "resident aliens" by the statements of this one disloyal young man.

And at the same time, don't confuse people who come to American legally with those who break the law to get in. Dad said he did not understand the thinking of people who felt they had a right to break into a country against the laws of that country. It struck him as being fundamentally dishonest.

April 26, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  39. S.S.

I can't believe this is happening in America, this was a land of opportunity and freedom once. As a naturalized citizen, I do not feel safe to go to arizona, any policeman could easily abuse this and arrest pretty much any citizen who doesn't speak with an American accent or any citizen who doesn't look like a Caucassian American.

April 26, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  40. Vivianne Johns

I am a US citizen, immigrated from Cuba legally...However, I would hope my parents would have come to the land of freedom and opportunity any way possible. I owe my life to this country and the citizens who did not object to refugees. These people are looking for a better life, just like so many others. We are all part of the human race people. Have we forgotten this? How can we be so selfish as to deny these people the shelter they seek? What happened to American compassion for those seeking a better life?

There would be less illegal immigration if we made it easier for people to legally enter this country.. if we made it easier to issue work permits..easier to enter legally. The costs are astronomical, the waiting period is unacceptable What's the root cause...spend your energies fixing that.

If I visit Arizona will I be stopped and asked to prove my citizenship? My drivers license is not proof, so I must carry a passport? This is racial profiling, plain and simple...and Arizona should be ashamed!

Is the immigration issue in Arizona more important than your homeless, elderly, children's education? Spend your cash and energies making laws to help your legal citizens. Deal with criminal regardless of green card or citizenship. Leave those trying to live a better life alone...

Someone commented we should not be a haven for those seeking shelter..what a selfish uninformed comment.. In foreign countries this is known as the land of hope and opportunity...the hope of some day coming to this country is the only hope some have. We should be proud of that...not destroy it.

April 27, 2010 at 6:20 am |
  41. Tricia

This should be legal in all states. We, as Americans, with our great grandparents, and grandparents, had to follow the rules to get into this country. Why shouldn't they. Illegal is illegal. Something should be done. They drive without a license,they have kids in this country, and we end up paying for it , because they don't have insurance, they can't speak english, and they don't have any identification except the are from Mexico. If you think they are just in AZ, well, they are all over the country. I live is SC, and they are here as well, and they are illegal as well. You need a license to fish, why not to stay in this country. I have an ID. Why should I have to learn how to speak Spanish. I live in America and I am English. If I wanted to lean to speak Spanish, I would have in high school, or college. Just like everyone else. I am so sick of making exceptions for certain people that don't follow the rules and laws and the ones that do are always bailling the ones that don't out.
    Just like the banks. We as Americans have to start standing up forourselves. That is what this country was made for, not for the government to make our minds up for us. If this country continues the way it's going, I feel sorry for my grandchildren.

April 27, 2010 at 7:22 am |
  42. Lynda Puff

All you need to present is a picture ID just like we all are required to carry. Drivers license, etc. When traveling to a foreign country which we just did, we made sure that we carried our picture ID. All of this talk about presenting 'papers' is just media and political hype to get people riled up.

April 27, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  43. Lee

I just love how those who are against the Arizona law insinuate that the rest of us are "selfish" for asking people to obey the laws of this country; get over yourselves...this country has laws !
    I also agree with the post about the young soldier who doesn't want to live in AZ anymore...yes...what country is he fighting for ?...if it's truly the USA...then he knows we are a country of laws...not "suggestions"....HONOR DUTY COUNTRY...if the country they come from is bad as another post said...then come here legally...don't come here illegally. He admitted his family came here illegally...how many at that dinner table are still undocumented ? Tricia also has a great point...this issue happens in every state and if we have to carry our DL as well as our passports or Birth certificates till the US gets a handle on this problem...then do it...it's paper...it's not like you are being asked to carry a 50 lbs bowling ball...bottom line...why are the illegals afforded more considerations for breaking laws than us U.S. citizens ? Equal rights for Legal Citizens....I also think the media just LOVES to embellish certain aspects of this issue to stir up reasons for excessive air time chat....the nature of the 'Biz"

April 27, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  44. Valeria T

The majority of immigrants, regardless of how they came into this country, are simply ordinary people who want a better life for themselves and their families. They want decent jobs, housing, education. They do *not* want to be a burden on others. We should welcome these. Immigrating, in, by, and of itself should not be "legal" or "illegal". People should not be labelled criminals merely for crossing a border. The ones who come here and then commit murders, thefts, who smuggle and sell drugs, *these* are the criminals. Let us identify these rotten apples, and deport *them*, but don't ship the entire basket back for the misdeeds of a few.

April 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  45. Harvey J. Garza

If those in law enforcement do their work correctly, there should be no questions raised as to legality. Many people assume that a police officer will automatically start out asking a "Latino-Looking" Person for proof of citizenship, etc. Law enforcement has standardized protocol in what always starts out as routine police work. Example: A Patrol Officer notices a vehicle making a right-hand turn without engaging their right directional signal in their vehicle. At that point in time, a police officer will stop the motorist, walk to the motorists car, inform the purpose of the stop, and proceed to ask the motorist to produce their drivers license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. The police officer will take all these documents back to his/her patrol car, where the police officer runs the notorists relevant information through Specific Law Enforcement Data Bases [NCIC], DVM, etc. If all the motorists information is current (up to date), with no warrants out for the motorists, the ownership of and registration of the motorists vehicle match (e.g. Vehicles Plate matches the Same Vehicle being stopped; etc. Then the Motorist can receive either a verbal and/or written warning (a Fix-It Warning if the turn signal is defective; or a traffic citation (fine and court costs to follow) . . . and the motorist is given all his/her documents back, and is free to safely drive on. Now that that being said; It Is At This Time of Ascertaining the legitimacy of the aforementioned Proofs of Identity (Drivers License), vehicles registration, and Proof of Insurance that Matches the Vehicle being operated by the driver . . . . that the Police Officer making the traffic stop will proceed with a line of questioning of the motorist to establish citizenship/documentation; etc. , if All the Background Information given to them Indicates a Inconsistency that could strongly be looked at as a motorist that Has No Legitimate Proofs of Citizenship (Proofs to Include "Green Card", Visa, etc.); then it is at this time only that the Motorist will be Placed Under Arrest. The Motorist fate will lie in the United States Court System. Racial Profiling had Nothing to do with a Legitimate Traffic Stop (for a Traffic Violation) that was Procedurally Correct. NOTE: To All That Read This . . . I'am Apache [Chiricahua] who has a Spanish Surname . . . and I think that all Non-Indians truly know my thoughts/position on any Illegal Immigration.

April 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  46. Lee

I feel inclined to liken the behavior of the "illegals" outrage to a 16 year old girl who has been told they are too young to have a 25 year old boyfriend ....they will still sneak around and try to do it anyway and whine & complain when they get caught and grounded....USA law is USA law...you may not agree with all of them, but if you live here you must abide by them....So stop your whining 'illegals' and act like Americans...obey the laws or face the consequences like the rest of us !
    Way to go AZ....this country takes enough BS from the rest of the world...thanks for causing so many people to come out of hiding....maybe the authorities should check some protestors' ID's at these big rallies they are all "whining" at ????
    Gosh I guess I'd be upset if they came out with a law that says you can't talk on your cell phone while driving in NY...OH YEAH there IS a law and I OBEY IT even tho I don't like it !
    ...... See how it works, protestors ????

April 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  47. Matt S from Philly

Do you know who would carry out legislation like this in the past? The National Guard. Does Arizona want President Obama to recall the Arizona National Guard like Eisenhower did when Wallace would not integrate the schools? National Guard troops under the authority of the President of the United States marching in Phoenix. Is that really what this state wants? Because that is the legal response from Washington.

April 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  48. Matt S from Philly

I meant Kennedy did the integrat, it was his job. The executive branch enforces the laws (ition thing. He wasn't happy about it, but the law is clear. How can you integrate the schools? Wallace didn't want to do it, so he sent troops. The executive branch enforces (or executes) the laws, thus executive. Could the Constitution be written any clearer and people still get it wrong? Unbelievable.

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  49. Arturo De Angelis

Many of the old people who arrived from Europe back in the 1930 and later feel very disapointed, since when they arrived on the States the first thing the authorities did was to check them out for papers from the original countries, to check any health issue etc.
    These guys cross the border and many of them change their name here on the States, they commit any felony and is extremely difficult to catch them on the other side of the border etc.
    They know exactly that they are illigaly entering into another country as soon they cross the border, they breaking the law, rigth there, and they want to have rights after that...???? Nobody is above the law.
    Have somebody ever read other countries inmigration laws...??
    You guys will be surprised, we will change the inmigration laws when
    they change theirs...........

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
  50. Jim

Define a US Citizen – by race?

I am an american, I have served my country for 20 years as a combat veteran. I will not enter Arizona if my family is harrassed because of our ethnic background. I find it insulting and degrading after facing harms way for my beloved USA.

A Patriot,
    Jim

April 27, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  51. TonyInLargo

I'm on the fence on this issue, leaning heavily towards believing that, yes, it will likely lead to profiling.

Is Vegas taking bets on this?

April 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  52. Patricia(Pat) A. Tracey

Hi everyone at CNN!
    I am wondering why so many people are complaining about showing their papers or id's as the case may be. All of us, in America show id's everyday at the bank, in any store when purchasing with a credit card....I just don't see the difference!!!
    I don't feel I am being profiled or being put out! This is to safe guard me and my family from illegal people stealing from us. It also saves other people from me in case i have their id through some illegal maneuver.
    If people do not like us to protect them her in the United States then maybe they should go back where they coud complain all the time.
    There are alot of people who have come from other countries, went through the correct way to become a citizen...it's not fair to the people who are legally in the U.S. to have people not become citizens in the same manner. Thank youl
    and deserve others who are here illegally

April 27, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  53. Brook McDonald

Concerning the Arizona Bill

As a country we are so afraid at offending anyone we can loose sight of our common sense. Laws like the one in Arizona have already been enacted many years ago in other states like California and my home state of Utah. It is not the law that is in the wrong… What has incited the minds of the people (generally minority groups) is their FEAR of how the law will be carried out. While our country’s past may justify concern, I like to think we have come along way from such abuse and feel it best to wait and watch how the law will be enforced. In those other states it is generally peaceful, and if not, all individuals “citizens or not” have recourse through the court system. If this law is unconstitutional it will eventually end up in the court system to be so challenged. While Illegals might not put trust in the American system of government, we Americans should, give it time to work.

Brook

April 28, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  54. Brook McDonald

I'd also like to add... The Arizona Bill does NOT supercede Federal law.. it "aligns" with it.

April 28, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  55. Jack

Arizona is inviting every racial nut to site statistics about illegal immigrants and crime in Arizona which distort the truth-thank you CNN for doing some fact checking...you can also go to the Arizona Public Safety site which lists crimes by ethnicity...Hispanics accounted for 31.5 percent of crimes in Arizona-Whites accounted for 82.6 percent-get your facts straight

April 28, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  56. right

Its about time someone did something about the mexcian takeover in america

April 28, 2010 at 11:11 am |
  57. Herman

I hope that all of the country will adopt the same laws that Arizona has just passed..... after working with so many illegals and seeing all of the legal citizens looking for work here it will not come soon enough!

April 28, 2010 at 11:11 am |
  58. Greg

I have no problem with non U.S citizens coming here to work. They have every right to provide for their families but I do have an issue with people who come here and commit illegal crimes. So I do not agree with this this law because I do believe it would lead to racial profiling.

April 28, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  59. Anita

How much time have you spent letting the public know that ALREADY a Fed law that immigrants are to have their green cards on them at all times–better for your obvious liberal agenda while you tout down the middle–how much time did you spend onthe young republican woman stomped in LA by protestors–have you compared the tea party crowds and the immigration protestors–which is an angry crowd that attacks physically

April 28, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  60. Hal

Great interview with the head of the police union in Phoenix! He explained how the law will be enforced – legally – better than anyone else I've seen.

I've just cancelled a meeting in San Francisco for over 120 of my employees. I'll boycott SF as long as they boycott AZ.

We'll hold the meeting in Phoenix – thank you very much!

Hal

April 28, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  61. MARTHA

Of course the Arizona law will lead to racial profiling, anything that is created with malice can only produce negative results. The Governor and all those coward politicans fo the state can say whatever they may like to excuse their actions, however in the long run who will also suffer the consequences of this ridiculous law will be the citizens of the state, not just illegal immigrants.

April 28, 2010 at 11:17 am |
  62. Judy Ivie

I see no problems with this law and laud Arizona for passing it. Those of Hispanic heritage who are law-abiding, here legally or not, will have no cause to worry. Those who are participating in suspicious or illegal activity will be asked their legal status. I only wish California officials had the backbone to suit.

April 28, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  63. Neil

We all need to trust our law-enforcement officers. Most of them are real professionals. I don't think that racial profiling will be an issue.

The USA is the only country where people are rewarded for breaking its immigration laws. Waters separate other immigrants from access to the US borders. Therefore, everyone must abide by the rules. They that entereth through the window is a thief.

Possible Solution:

The USCIS or state Department must charge each illegal alien $25,000 for adjustment of status to permant residents, not citizenship.

April 28, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  64. Mr. C

I am glad some one decided to put a stop to Illegals. We have so many violent gangs in this country and most of them are illegals. They are putting this country in the hole. They get free health care that Americans have to pay for. They get money from the government that we as Americans can't get. I hope all the states do this.

April 28, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  65. Rob in Wisconsin

Why is it that we only hear Hispanics making the claim that because of this law they will be racially profiled, harassed or deported? Illegal immigrants are in this country from every ethnicity and origin and perhaps if the Hispanic community spent half as much time helping their illegal friends to become legal this sort of law would not have been needed in the first place. The fact of the matter is that the 1980's amnesty was a huge mistake and one that we are not about to make again. It's HIGH time state governments start following Arizona's lead by enacting and then enforcing laws exactly like this to send a strong message to anyone else planning to enter or reside in this country illegally. As far as anything the Mexican government has to say? Try looking at their immigration policy which will either throw you in prison if you bypass their immigration policies by entering Mexico illegally, or not allow you to work in Mexico even if you are there legally! They can sit down and shut up given these facts.

April 28, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  66. kim

As citizens we have to abide by all the laws and are punished to the nine's when we disobey. So why is it okay for illegal immigrants to drive without even OWNING a license? Why is it okay for illegal immigrants to not claim taxes or get tax breaks? Why is it okay to let them infiltrate this country and get away with anything? I am honestly sick of watching illegals come to this country & post their mexican flag on their vehicles when they have come to this country for opportunity. GO ARIZONA!!!!!! i think ill move there. And I would love to go to Wrigleyville and protest AGAINST the protestors 🙂

April 28, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  67. Lucy

The new Arizona law will not lead to racial profiling. It doesn't alter or change the requirements for an officer to stop a person. The law only changes what can be asked after they've been stopped. There has to be a reason to stop a person – the law clearly states race or ethnicity isn't a valid reason to stop someone. As for carrying documents, current FEDERAL law requires all legal aliens to carry their green card at all times. Arizona now just wants to enforce the law. The bill was actually written to enforce current federal law. Also the law doesn't require anyone to proof citizenship – just legal status. In most states to obtain a drivers license you must proof legal status. So your drivers license would proof your status.

April 28, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  68. David Hoyt

Is it really racial profiling, or is a excuse for a liberal group to file another motion for "racial discrimination", I noticed that the increase for duel citizenship for both countries has increased, by 100%. That alone explains that there are many illeagl persons in the United States. Maybe they should have not been here illegally!

My family lives and travel in many countries, and they carry their passport, they are asked for proof of ID. so why not here. People need to grow up and stop crying every time someone does or says something they don't like. Yes, it's the land of the free, but not a Free-for-all! If you become a citizen of our great country, pay your taxes, and don't expect to have everything given to you, I work for everything I have, you too, must do the same!

April 28, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  69. martha

I read all this comments and I realize that there are so many people that take the law just passed as a great step, but to what? Do they even know? Thinking that the economy troubles were caused by immigrants or that unemployment rates are caused by the jobs taken by illegal immigrants, goes to show that you are basing you opinion on ignorance of the facts. I am sad to see that this great nation is filled with "great" citizens that live misguided and filled with intolerance, and maybe even hatred. Forgetting that the United States of America is just that states filled with people of different backgrounds united by the love and respect of equality and the freedom to chase success and happiness and peace for each indivicual in it. If you don't like to share those values, then maybe the ones that need to relocate, move, migrate, are those intolerant, ignorant "great" citizens of the United States of America.

April 28, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  70. Robert Lobos

I am a retired Arizona Administrator and fully support this new law that has been considered since the 90's. This law is solely based on conduct and if ones conduct is breaking the law, then arrests should be made no matter what the color of the skin. If you become a US Citizen and do not break the law you will not be arrested and you can go on you "merry" way just like all of us do (i.e. when at an airport or entering a government building. If you are not a US Citizen and break the law you should be returned back to your country of origin and not supported by hard working American Citizens from all countries. This country and a State like Arizona cannot afford to carry the expenses of non-citizens on the shoulders of legal residents. Mexico would not, nor would any other country. BECOME A CITIZEN AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT PROFILING if you are a responsible individual.

April 28, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  71. Brook McDonald

The comments of the Mexican embassy are unfounded... The engender fear in the Mexican population be telling them our undifined guidelines in the law will lead to profiling with abandon. This is simply not so. Perhaps if the law had the same wording but was a "Mexican Law" it would be interpreted to lead to profiling, but here in the United States we do things differently, and those familiar enough with US law know there is no real cause for alarm. The Arizona police are professional and will continue act that way. As for politictians bringing focus to the matter, what else do you expect them to do with a bunch of Legal Immigrants (that don't really understand our legal system) breathing down their throats as their voting base... they have to show they are doing something to keep them happy, so it turns into a charade of show... heck they might even enact some pointless law that has no real effect to change to the reality of how the law is interpreted, but helps immigrants understand it better.

April 28, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  72. Fred Doane

The U.S. is being overrun by terrorists from Mexico. Just calling them illegal immigrants is way too kind. They bring a culture of rape, robbery, murder, drugs, an obsession for failure, You name it, that's what's coming in. They overload our judicial system, health care system, and an education system that results in about a 50% dropout rate which in turn produces more criminals. 20 years ago the president of Japan warned the U.S. that we would become a 3rd world country if we didn't stop the flow of illegals into our country. Our gutless politicians are like elevator operators – step back, GOING DOWN (to 3rd class status in the world).

April 28, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  73. Ken

I think it's a good law. My wife is from the Philippines and if Hispanics think its tough to come here legally they should check out what the U.S. requires of Philippinos. Let them pay for the applications and fees like they should and it will be alright. I don't they should be allowed any special treatment because they have been here for awhile illeagally or may have had children here during that time. To me if they were here illeagally and had children here the children are illeagal too, because the parents should'nt have been here in the first place. Sorry if it sounds harsh but thats the way it should be.

April 28, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  74. Adam

It seems like a no brainer to make "Illegal Immigration" illegal. Officials are saying that they will not stop people based on race, color, creed, etc. So why is nobody asking what they will be looking for? As far as I can tell, the only problem people have with this law is the profiling U.S. citizens. Let's find out how law enforcement officials plan to make this law work, without violating our rights.

April 28, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  75. Nancy Manard

Regarding the new law in Arizona. I am appalled at the political forces in this country. The lengths they will take to twist things to cause so much frenzy. I have friends that live in Mazatlan, Mexico. I visit every two to three years. Here are the facts, whether you live there or visit, you carry your passport, drivers license, or at least copies of them. You can be stopped and asked for "YOUR PAPERS" anytime.

This is true in any country you travel in. I was in Mazatlan in March, when 6 policeman were murdered in 3 days. Headless bodies were left in the main streets of another large vacation mexican city. Murders, day and night in Nogales, and other border towns, and all this is moving into our country.

So, no I do not think this is bad, if I did I wouldn't travel outside this country. I just wish the whole truth would be told and how important it is to protect our borders and the citizens of this country.

Politicians using this to fuel fires that don't need to be fanned. Shameful, no wonder the rest of the world laughs at us.

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  76. Fred Doane

Concerning racial profiling: I sure hope so. Then we can really go about sending back 10 to 20 illegals that don't belong in this country.
    Whatever it takes, I'm for it. Just tell me what type of documents that I need. I'm white and they can check me as long as they want if it helps get rid of all the illegals.

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  77. Pat Le Day

Tony, unfortunately this has the potential to lead to racial profiling.
    I am a Creole of black and native american decent with roots in Louisianna, growing up in Watts Ca. (South Central LA). I now live in Phoenix, Az. and have for over 20 years.
    I have a very international look.
    I am set aside and searched almost always when traveling by air.
    I anticipate being stopped and asked to present proof of citizenship often due to the consistant actions of the Maricopa Sheriffs dept.
    I am fine with that.
    I perform Behavior Therapy in the community and find it more difficult to find work due to the fact that most service provider agencies require I speak Spanish. Those requiring service are not required to speak English although my taxes assist in them recieving the services I provide. The illegal allien situation is hitting my family very hard.
    I am all for the law and respect those that are here legally.
    We are truely being discriminated against here in Arizona if you do not speak Spanish. My qualifications, as my colligues, far surpass those that are getting emplyment ahead of us, in this field, due to their being bilingual ( able to communicate with those that do not speak english). We need this law enacted for a variety of reasons on a variety of levels.

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  78. ms cali

I do not believe there will be any more profiling than has been happening and is still happening with afro americans. Something has to be done. Our goverment has sold english speaking americans out. You cannot get a job unless you speak spanish, which is a social injustice towards anyone speaking english. There are more illegal immigrants working than americans. Are people in our government speaking spanish around Pres. Obama or in congress. I think not!
    Someone need to go to downtown LA. You can't buy a receipt! Why? Because they don't pay any taxes!!

April 28, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  79. Chris L

I am a white male living in Washington State and I agree with this law 100%. If it makes our county safer then I would be more than happy to carry papers saying I was born in this great county and I am here legally. I would be happy to see the police checking my papers, because I would know they are looking for criminals and keeping the rest of us safe. The only people who would oppose this are the ones who have something to hide.
    I don't believe all illegal immigrants are bad people, in fact most are just looking to better their lives by coming here. But we see it in the news every day about the drugs and gang violence that is associated with illegal immigrants (a few bad ones give all a bad name). If they were forced to go through the proper channels to become American citizens then maybe we could catch the criminals at that point.

April 28, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  80. Edward Nickus

Let's see...illegal immigration. Seems to say it all. This who wish to dance around the rules need to spend more time in congress, not in the streets.

April 28, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  81. JoEllen Ferullo

I'm thrilled that Arizona has the guts to remove ILLEGAL immigrants from this country. Why should LEGAL citizens be taxed to death to care for illegals. Send them packing and protect the LEGAL citizens of the United States.

April 28, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  82. Barbara

My plans of traveling through Arizona on a trip are on hold. The new legislation is too reminiscent of Nazi Germany and despite my blond hair and blue eyes, if it looks like a police state and talks like a police state, it's not the America I know and love.

April 28, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  83. Robert

Change the law to require law enforcement officers to check the resident status of EVERYONE they come in official contact with to avoid the appearence of racial profiling as claimed.

April 28, 2010 at 11:43 am |
  84. Jason Malin

Considering the complete and total inabiltiy of Congress to accomplish anything at all on this issue, I'm surprised it took a border state to do something like this. It is time to do something to stop this. If properly applied, Arizona's law may be a good step in the right direction. I think we should go further and have English declared the national language. I have no problem with people using other languages at home, but we should not have to pay for it in other places with our taxes. I also think that if illegal have kids heren we should keep the kids and send the parents home. It is time for the American people to grow a set on this issue.

April 28, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  85. Fred Doane

One of your views named Jack cited crime statistics in Arizona. He said whites committed 82.6% of the crimes and hispanics committed 31.5%. That's 116.1%. So much for those dummies who can't add or count. Even thou 31.5% (almost one-third) of hispanics commit crimes, one has to realize there's considerably fewer hispanics than whites and that they therefore commit crimes at a higher rate.

April 28, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  86. themanonthestreet

First off, entering this country illegally is ILLEGAL. Second, anyone who harbors any illegal invader is perpetuating a crime, as well as committing a new one. Third, Anyone who employs an illegal invader is committing a crime against all legal american citizens.
    Illegal is illegal, it is not a race or color or religion. You can't profile an illegal, for it could be anyone. 8 million legal Americans can't find work, and the only ones working ARE the illegals! Do the math, 12-20 MILLION

April 28, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  87. Michael n Seattle

Boycotting Businesses in Arizona is the only way for people to show their support against this civil right violation hit the corporation in the pocket book let them complain since they enjoy the profits from low paid wages that attract the people that are being targeted. we all know what is behind this law those of us that remember the civil rights battle that is.

April 28, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  88. Frank Opalka

My parents came into this country LEGALLY, thru Ellis Island as were millions of others, many were sent back for various reasons , they stayed and raised a fine family, I served the military to help our country. You MUST be legal to live in this country and use our services. .

April 28, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  89. Mary

I agree with what has been done in Arizona, the Federal Government has to step up and have all illegal people removed from the US. The only other way it could be done is put the responsibility back on the employers, each employee must prove they are citizens of the US to be employeed and they must keep records to prove this citizenship in an employee file. The government then checks the records of employeers to see this is done and stiff fines if it is not.

The other place to hit is schools, hospitals, food banks ect, seems like that would be more efficient and if ALL people are made to show citizenship it would take the racial profiling issue away.

April 28, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  90. Jack Krug

Racial profiling is already rampant among police departments throughout the U.S. This law just makes it easier.
    A wall, internal documents... we're becoming East Germany.

April 28, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  91. Kevin

What I would like to know is when you will stop focusing on only the negative aspects of this law. Why not focus on the 70 percent of ARIZONA RESIDENTS, that live there? It's easy for people all around America to criticize Arizona when they don't even reside there, and most likely have ever even visited Arizona or any other border state. As a Texas resident, I have contacted all of my state leadership and reps and requested they consider similar legislation here also.

April 28, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  92. DP

I am on the fence about this issue so if you are against the bill please suggest other alternatives on how to get illegals to pay taxes. It sounds like most people against the bill are calling it racial profiling but not offering any alternatives. Are you okay with paying taxes while hundreds of thousands of people live in this country and give the government nothing? I don't know about everyone else here but I could use the money the government takes from me every spring. It would be nice to know that everyone living in this country and using its services are being treated fairly.

April 28, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  93. Manuel

THANK YOU ARIZONA!!! Maybe now, with this being such a hot topic, Pres. Obama will tackle immigration reform like he promised he would do within his first year in office. Everyone take a step off of your soapbox for a minute and remember there are illegal children here who were brought over by their parents and had no choice... and now some of them are left here after their parents have died! Do we send them back or give them a path for citizenship?

April 28, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  94. Shannon Bryan

I am a 23 year old graduating college in a week. As some one who was born and raised in AZ I love my state. But with the passing of senate bill1070 for the first time I am ashamed of AZ. This bill is not about immigration it is about the infringment of American civil liberties and human rights. Now a distinct group of AZ citizens and legal immigrant, based on their ethnic and cultural backgrounds, are required to carry and present id cards any time a law officers requests it. This WILL lead to racial profiling. This is a violation of our civil rights. This will create a dangerous precedent; will states soon pass a similar law for muslim americans? I think we need immigration reform to limit the entrance of illegal immigrants but this is the wrong way to do it. While I know that a boycot of AZ buisnesses will hurt our economy I do think it is the only way for our legislators to listen.

April 28, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  95. BA

Green light to racial profiling! Although, some viewers believe that individuals who oppose this law are illegal immigrants they are making an erroneous assumption. One does not need to be Hispanic or illegal to see the harm that comes with enforcing such law. If, this new law didn’t imply racial profiling there wouldn’t be so much controversy behind it.

Instead, they could consider hiring more border patrol agents and increasing job opportunities that will greatly alleviate, at least to some degree, the Arizona unemployment rate which lingers at 9.6%. Also, I would like to note that I do not live in AZ and I would definitely not move to a state that exhibits such poor leadership in this matter. The governor refused to answer the question that required her to describe what an illegal immigrant “looks,” like. However, this law was implemented to target/protect the Mexican-American border. Mexico is issuing an advisory to all Mexican citizens because they will be the primary target of racial profiling by law enforcement. One would think that we should be making progress against racist attitudes not repeating Nazi history in the U.S.

April 28, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  96. William Dean McGaha

I am an American and live in AZ. I just seen where it cost AZ more than 800,000.00 to just educate children of illegals. This is my tax money .
    I agree with the other post "As an naturalized citizen of Spanish heritage, I have no problem with this law. This is not profiling. Illegals come in all size, shape and colors. They come from Ireland, China, and the Middle East. Quit whining and support our nation from the illegal alien invasion that we are experiencing."
    Why can't the federal government enforce the nations law on Illegals. The state of AZ has asked for help but with 480,000 illegals in this state alone what is the national government doing about it.
    I followed the national law when we had the draft in 1968 208,000 didn't and went to Canada, After the war they was given amnesty is this the way the government is going to deal with the illegals.

April 28, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  97. Bill

I am a native of California but am retired from Law Enforcement in Kansas. I believe the Az. law should stand and I believe that every state in the Union should support it. Every human being in this country that drives a car is issued a Drivers License and is checked in every contact with law enforcement related to motor vehicles. Usually it is used or an I.D. card issued by the state as a form of identification and usually is verified as valid via computer. Having to show proof of lega residence shouldn't bother legal immigrants. I currently live in Central America and have to carry my U.S. Passport everywhere I go, it's the law and I can be stopped at any time, anywhere. I know and accept it to live here, the immigrants in the U.S. should have to expect to be checked. I don't believe the Az. law enforcement community will use it to "profile", and I think it's absolutely crazy that some U.S. communities are urging a boycott of the State!!! I for one will be visiting Az. when I come back to the states in July!!! I suspect there are millions more like me who will rally to support the people of Az. You people don't seem to understand the negative results caused by all the illegals in this country, and not just Mexican or Latinos, ALL of the illegals!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  98. Mary

I think the vast majority of the Media and celebrities do not have a clue as to why many pople are in favor of the new laws passed by AZ regarding the immigration problem. I think many of us are fed up with the federal government not enforcing the laws already on the books. Anyone is welcomed in this country but people who have done it illegally are putting our lives and financial security at risk. These people have no proper identification and are not held responsible for breaking the law. Why would American citizens not be angry over this? We suffer the consequences of any illegal activities that we engage in. The existing immigration laws were well thought ourt and made to protect the citizens of the U.S. The message our government sends is that they can ignore the laws they do not like, while it continues to do nothing to secure all our borders. Not only do the illegals bring in undocumented people, diseases,and drugs but how do we know that WMDs are not being smuggled into our country. It is not racist to want this to stop. It is just common sense. It is not unamerican to protect its people by any means but it is unamerican to enter the country illegally. Try that in N. Korea and see what happens.

April 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  99. Denise

I am very please with this new law. I dont understand why other states feel the need to "boycott" us, when they dont live here in the problem. People are losing their jobs because illegal immigrants come over here and are willing to do the job for dirt cheap pay, and companies are allowing it to save them money. We are paying taxes for them to use our health system and welfare, and its just not fair to the citizens of Arizona. They just recently busted a drop house with 75 illegals living in it, now tell me why that should be considered okay? People should be proud to show their Ids as citizens, especially those who have went through the process and did the right thing. I dont believe it is racial profiling due to the fact that illegal immigrants consist of many different races, not just hispanics like everyone is making it out to be. Something needs to be done, and I believe this will put enough fear into illegals, they wont be so eager to cross that border, let alone take over the state of Arizona.

April 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
  100. Brownies

@All Anti Bill. A) have you read it? B) have you read the Bill ICE uses? C) can you see any difference? D) do you trust a diverse police power to carefully use the Bill? – if not then why – trust them with other things E) AZ cannot just hire more boarder patrol- it is a Federal thing, which the FEDs – including Bush have not sent us troops F), they are here now, so the local police powers need to clean up their cities, and give them a reason to remove AZ from their choices of States to go to.

we still need SB 1070 to conduct local clean up. The way I look at it is simple. We have extra food and drinks, so we invite the neighbors over for a party, and after the party is over and we have no extra food and we find out some people snuck into our party without us knowing and will not leave our house they are hidden under our beds and coaches, and they come out at night and eat our food- they do not have legal rights to be there, so we have to use SB 1070, our neighbors with party visas go back home like they are suppose to after the job is done.

The worse thing is they had a kid in our house and want all of our benefits of our family too... We tell them they are in violation of the Son of Sam law- no Anchor baby for you.

What harm are they doing? A) they are here, B) they are using other people's socials and recking their lives with IRS issues, with credit reporting issues, with just a living nightmare. They are tapping our welfare system dry, abusing our medical, and weakening our education system.

Then look at the raps and murders they are committing. They are no where near 50% of our population, but they are 50% of these terrible crimes.

This Bill will make AZ a more attractive please to visit, live, and conduct business.

The legal Hispanics are 100% for this too, because they are tired of being profiled by the common person for the crimes of the illegals. Many Hispanics are top educated own and run amazing businesses, but because of the illegals they do not allows get the respect they deserve by their community.

This is amazing change...

April 28, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  101. Howard

I fully support the new Arizona law ... and I'm sick and tired of all the cry-baby, fear-mongering, whining about bogus "racial profiling" concerns. Europe has had "proof of citizenship" laws for years without problems and I see no reason (other than trumped-up, phoney, scare-tactic worries about "political correctness") that we can't have the same here. The Federal government won't enforce our own immigration laws, so I applaud Arizona (and everyone else who does what they have done).

April 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  102. Jim Delp

First of all, its not illegal immigration, its tresspassing, there is nothing about it that is immigration. There is a process to immigrate and they are not using it. And it is theft when resourses such as health care, and jobs comes from our citizens, many who are working and still living in poverty. Our laws are broken, and some of these people are crimminals. Do we really think our laws can be enforced without allowing our police force to question those suspected guilty parties? Or do we tell the illegal tresspassers its OK to come into our country, just don't ask and don't tell.

April 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  103. Andre

Stop trying to be politically correct and put Americans first in our country! I'm an African American man. Don't give me that argument about racial profiling. I have been a victim of racial profiling. It happens with Blacks, Arabs, Whites and even Hispanics.

Blacks are targeted for drug dealing, Arabs are targeted for terrorist, Whites are targeted for meth labs and serial killers and Hispanics are targeted for illegal immigration. If each racial group would stop committing the crimes that they are profiled for the stereotype would go away.

The labor groups that are coming out against the law are full of crap. They talk about the families that are being affected by the law. They need to be honest and say that this law will stop them from being able to hire cheap illegal labor.

April 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  104. Jon from GA

I find it funny that people assume CNN is a liberal network. However, my comment on immigration wasn't posted because I pointed our country's history of racially-charged lawmaking. In doing so, I had to name an act that was passed into law in 1954. I cannot name this act without using a racist term to describe those of latin descent. So please, study our immigration policy throughout history. Look at the Bracero Program that attracted immigrant workforce from Mexico to the US during growing economic times. Then look at the legislation that is passed during reccessions....You will find that the new AZ immigration law is following a troubling pattern of racism that is built into the very structure of our government.

April 28, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  105. duncan

first, can we stop calling them "illegal," but "undocumented" maybe.

secondly, but most importantly, this anti-immigration bill is a way of systematically kicking out hispanics. I know that if i were of hispanic ancestry, i would not go anywhere near arizona for fear of being arbitrarily prosecuted. therefore anyone there who is hispanic will probably wanting to move out asap.

these arizonians are just confused. they are hurt by the economy and they are looking for a scape goat. this has been done before where human rights were being violated.

we need to let everyone know that this is not the way to even think.
    this is not a political, or even a bipartisan issue. this s a crime against humanity. there is no justification for this. as a note to anyone arguing against their jobs and space, the entire country can fit into the state of new hampshire with the population density of brooklyn.

April 28, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  106. Dan

Okay, just my .2..... I first off I think home land security is most important. Especially since we are literally under the gun for terrorism. For example. If folks crossing the boarder illegally what stops anyone in the world to travel to the USA? Food for thought! I also think all states should follow through with this new law. Due to the fact that we can't hide what is true about crossing boarders illegally. Also what about the economic state our country is currently in... What if there were no issue think about the money that could be saved. I have sympathy for countries in worse conditions then the USA. But we can't afford to continue to bust and pack up the illegals and send them back. Also what about the support we provide to the illegals that actually get by and not busted?. Just stay out or do it legally! This is not a racial issue.

April 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  107. Dan

What if our southern border were with China? Would we be racial profiling the Chinese? This is childish! Why not address the foundation issue. You make a decisiion to cross a line and you know it is illegal to do so but you do it anyway... hmmm seems like a no brainer to me. You made a decision to do an illegal action in hopes of getting away with it... for as long as you can. Take a look also at Mexico's SOUTHERN BORDER... how many illegals are coming in down there? Let's face the facts Mexico take care of mexicans and your own government, and leave the U.S. to handle their own issues. We don't need any more to deal with.

April 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  108. Don/Tennessee

Give Arizona a big hand. They are the first to come up with something to police illegal immigrants and to send them back to their own country if here illegally. You want to come to the United States, all we say is to do it legally.

April 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
  109. Mr. Bennett

As a born and raised Tucsonan, I can tell you at the age of 45, I've had to watch this unfortunate situation for the duration of my life. I used to fish at a lake called Pena Blanca. This lake was 10 miles from the Nogales border. On a few occasions, we saw people making their way through the deserts on our way home, and there was always a border patrol station that blocked off traffic heading north to Tucson. This station did not discriminate–these fine men did their jobs without prejudice, checking every car, driver, passenger, trunk, or truck bed, etc. We have accidents on I-10, and by the time help arrives, the people that immigrated illegally have already scattered in the desert– most of these are at night when searching for scattering people would only catch a few, thus allowing the rest of the illegals in this country. To be an AZ politician or hold a position of law enforcement and back this boycott, is the worst thing you could do to your community. Things got this way over 50 years of allowing this to happen from the federal gov't. If we'd gotten help years back, this wouldn't be happening now. To take a stand against your home state and country is to show you have most likely, in some way or another, been bought off. There is not one decent explanation a person in office could give as to why they should not want their state to be safe. Illegal means illegal. My father, who had a very important job in Tucson, heard many, many times how illegals were stealing jobs from other true citizens because they do work for half the price. This is going to get worse before it will get better because it's gone on way too long. No Hispanic official wants to lose the Mexican vote, so they will keep fighting what WOULD help this great state, insteada of better it. Some people are now here legally and are mad because their race is not being allowed a free ride anymore in this country. If you are truly American, help fight this good fight. It is to cure this problem. If you want to hinder America becoming what it once was, then go back to Mexico, and leave the people who are proud to be here stay here. Weren't the Hispanics boycotting the census, too? If this keeps going another 50 years, as it will with Hispanic politicians not wanting to lose that vote, there will not be an America anymore. Finally, someone took a stand–I guess some people feel it's ok for illegals to break laws, and live off the true citizens. C'mon people–back the law, or gracefully, back out of this country!

April 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  110. Lizzy

Kudos AZ,

It is about time something is being done about this problem. The politicans just want to push this under the rug~election time is near -Repubs and the Demos don't want to go far enough to make it a real reform bill. Everyone seem to be scared that the Mexicans will not vote for them. If you are illegal, how do you get to VOTE?

Using the idea that USA legal working class do not want the jobs that the illegals are doing is a bunch of BS. If the employers are made to pay the prevailing wages, they would have a line out the door of applicants.

You want the illegals to learn english, but you put everything in spanish, so where in the incentive? Every other non-american in the USA do not have the priviledge to press a number to hear info in their language. Why is the illegals so special.

Since when does two wrongs make a right? If a man is illegal and the woman is illegal, please tell me how the baby is legal. I am sick and tired of everyone (ACLU) using ina law given to Black American Slaves after the civil war (legalization) for anyone else who comes have a baby gets legal status. Illegal is illegal period.

By the way, where is the BACK OF THE LINE to take place? In the USA, no incentive tobecome legal. In their own country ~ now thats a great idea!!

Liz

April 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
  111. leatrice feaars

i am a afro american female and other raceses , america raceses is so mixed up now its hard to tell whos who to me stopping people for the color of their brown skin is wrong thats what it will be. some policeman abuse their power any way. its another form of slavery laws just like when afro american had to carry their freedom papers around with them to show that they were free blacks with out a master sure it has to be something done about immigration and securing the borders ,but arizona done it the wrong way, thank you reading this comment

April 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  112. Jen

My question is, why aren't you focusing on I.C.E.? This Arizona law would not be an issue if the Federal govt was enforcing the laws already on the books. In Baltimore, for example, if police suspect that someone they have in custody is illegal, ICE won't even tell them their status. This is ridiculous! Would we want police not to be able to check suspected criminals against outstanding warrants, or terror watchlists? People in this country don't realize that their children's social security numbers and identity have already been used by illegal immigrants to get jobs and driver's licenses. Fake documents can be purchased in mere hours in any city in the US. This threatens us all. This isn't about immigrants (I married one, and he's a cop now), it's about being illegal.

And if the Mexican president is so concerned about his peoples' well-being, why doesn't he make his own country safe and prosperous enough so that his people don't need to make a mass exodus for the border?!

April 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
  113. William Dean McGaha

Secretary Napolitano was the Governor of Arizona and could not stop the illegals from crossing the state boarder. The state of Arizona now has over 480,000 illegals. She was appointed head of the homeland Security. If she could not protect the boarders of Arizona how can they say she can protect this country.
    On any given day a terrorist could walk across our Arizona boarder.

Is this Home Homeland Security.
    I stand behind the state of Arizona Illegal Immigration Law.

April 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  114. Andrew S.

The individuals who support illegal immigration should be investigated for civil rights violations as they would rather see someone scrape by in the shadows of illegal immigration then become legal and prosper in the shining light of American Democracy. Shame on the employers who knowingly hire illegal’s and knowingly pay them a less then livable wage. Way to go Arizona!

April 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  115. frederick bronson

If you are a true american you see and know the problem and expence that illegal hispanics bring you would not mind showing your papers if it means getting rid of all the illegals here .

April 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  116. Ms. C

I think it is going to cause racial profiling. But also I believe if illegal immigrants really wanted to stay in the U.S. , they would have went and filed for a GREEN CARD or ALIEN RESIDENCE card. But now that this is going they are scared and trying to file or still doing nothing at all.

April 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm |
  117. Angela Savage Austin

QUESTION... Do you agree that the State of Arizona has the right to be a Political Vigilante...to rewrite a Federal Law that they and others nationally, believe is inadequate or just because appropiate, timely and necessary action has not been taken, gives them the right to be a self appointed doer of "Just-Us" legislation?.

...We all have been in their shoes when it comes to the "Criminal Environment" they express. Crime is an Equal Opportunity Employer....in every state. I totally agree that is a major concern for all who resides in Arizona...even the Hispanic population. However, this has put light on the desperation that many feel and ... See Moreexperience and should be addressed before individuals take the Law in theirs Hands. We have troops stationed all over the world and some of the military personnel in each base can be reassigned and relocated to protect all borders in the US. We all know that "Hostily Breeds Hostility" especially when the Law itself is not clear...for example how do you profile someone such as a Canadian, Russian, Italian, Haitian, etc...that may be an illegal living in this country...whats next? Also before the United States became the United States much of these lands were first occupied by the very same people. I pray that the Federal government will takes the steps necessary and fair to address this situation.

Now another consideration I haven't heard mentioned is the Big Business of Prisons and the money that will be made incarcerating the illegals that are detained. How long are they detained before they are exported back to their countries?.

April 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm |
  118. Delos Cloud

Just saw the poor illegal immigrant college students who marched to Washington D.C. and could not resist adding my comments. One had been here since the age of 2 and would not know how to survive in Venezuela if deported. I know its not easy but tell me again why over the last 10 years this young man could not gain legal status? Unless it was impossible to achieve I stand firm that we should enforce immigration (and all other) laws of the land (state and federal). America needs to return to being a Nation of Laws that we enforce until they are changed! Of course Politics must get into the way as our government ignores existing laws so a political party can gain another voting block. To bad we gain nothing as a nation because both political parties are to busy trying to get votes for their next election. Bottom line – If you are here illegally you need to become an legal citizen. If not you should expect to be deported because you are violating the law of the land. Get legal and you will have nothing to worry about, except paying taxes!

April 29, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  119. SirRobRN

This is another dumb law,that is not only racist in nature,but also creates unnecessary problems,like racial profiling and alot of discrimination,among other things,that will also help to keep on dividing the races,and further create more hatred and abuses against the Latino population in Arizona. This law should have never been allowed to pass,and is creating such a massive back lash against Arizona,as well by Mexico,the Latinos,and other minorities, along with other countries who are totally against this law, and find it abusive as well.But the biggest losers of this new Immigration law,are no doubt,"The Conservative Republican Party, along with all those,"dumb and ignorant Tea Party idiots",who helped to push this new law,and are now being referred to as the new Nazi movement in America,by alot of Latino groups in the U.S.Already many Latinos, along with the rest of the minority groups in America,are now fighting back,and eventually this type of ignorant stupidity,that was started by the Republican Party in the first place, has now apparently back fired, against the Republican party,and the Tea Party movement.This has created alot of hatred,and mistrust against them,and will most likely help the Democratic Party in the next November elections,for both the house and senate seats,as well as helping to reelect President Obama,in the next presidential elections.Apparently the Republican party took the Latino voters for granted,and will now bleed for it, in the next elections.I hope CNN takes a good look and remembers all this, because the Latinos in America will never forget this.

April 29, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  120. MC

Congratulations. You managed to stir up emotions with accusations of racial profiling. Now you dig a little deeper and see what is required or needed for "reasonable suspicion." Too bad you cut from the facts to broadcasting uninformed people's opinions. You are spending more time showing the possible down side and not the actual "real" situation regarding illegal immigration.

April 29, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  121. Lori in Arizona

I live in southeastern Arizona and have been following these reports very closely. From what I can tell 99.9% of people writing in are in support of this law. I would like to know why CNN only wants to hear from the ones against this law. I would like to know why CNN doesn't report about the vandalism of our State Capitol. Are their actions justified because of their color?

April 29, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  122. Carol G.

The reasonable application of this legislation is so stupidly simple. Not all illegal immigrants are hispanic; therefore, Law Enforcement should ask ALL individuals: white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. if they are in the U.S. legally. No profiling, no bias, no sniveling.

April 29, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  123. E.Diaz

It's time to do something about this inmigration madness! The US rejects people from other countries who could legally be here because too many cross the border illegally. As an inmigrant, it took me ten years and thousands of dollars to come to the US legally only to find that there were those cutting in line and coming into the US illegally every day by the thousands. it cost me thousands to pay for tuition when illegals were getting free tuition and financial aid. I had been laid off because they could get two people for the same pay. I had to pay twice as much and work twice as hard because I followed the law. Now they are talking about giving amnesty to about 11 million who broke the law and cut in front of the line. How is that fair? Why isn't anyone holding signs and protesting about this injustice? what about all the people whose lives and dreams to come to America are being put on hold because amnesty will be given to millions that just crossed the border without background checks or any scrutiny and clog the health, education and financial systems?

April 29, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  124. James

I'm Glad that Arizona stood up to the immigration crisis that's facing America as a whole.What these pro lobbyist don't realize is the meaning of illegal.It's a crime.And also people trying to boycott Arizona because they decided to wake up and tackle the problem of illegal immigration, do they remember that this is the United States of America? We are composed of 50 states. They can boycott all they want, but Arizona will still see business coming their way.Remember that their are 50 states.Boycott all you want.The majority of the US doesn't support it, or even care.Thank you Arizona for doing what's right.

April 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
  125. Saki

I don't think that this law will lead to racial profiling. The pro-lobbyist been using racial profiling for years to try and make illegal(criminalism) the right thing, instead of realizing it's not the right way.They hide behind the "Racial Profiling" card to try and push the agenda, but never works.Let them continually make fools out of themselves.They're conerned with no way out.Thank You Arizona for standing up for what's right. And the civil rights movement and Jim crowe Laws?Blacks were Legal Citizens of this country.Quit comparing our movememnt to something Blank and void.And Ceasar Chavez? The Man who stood for migrant workers?You realized that they never mentioned him at all in this protest.That's what you call hyprocrisy and ignorance.

April 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  126. Angela Savage Austin

Look beyond the obvious....Drugs and criminal activities have plague my communties longer than I have been on this planet...I am 55 years old, Afro-American. No one ever suggested to create, change, rewrite or address the Laws on any level to prevent the suffering and destruction of our neighborhoods...even to this very day. Crime is an equal opportunity employer/destroyer and the criminals come in all races, cultures, blue collar, white collar, faith and status. Our children are exposed to the destruction of their childhood and family foundations on a daily basis. I believe that the influxtation of drugs in this country lies in the hands of politicians/law officials who look the other way or their hands are dirty getting a cut of the profits. Low income communities all over this country have been walking in the shoes of the state of Arizona and no one cares because drugs is BIG MONEY!

April 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  127. SCOTT

Profiling is just for some people to cry about. If your in our USA illegal ,then leave. Go home your not wanted here ,you have no rights as a person that's braking the laws of the USA . Why cry here ,go home and cry to your own country reps.Change your own country not ours.

April 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  128. marisin wissmand

I am hispanic female from centroamerica who came here legally, since I came to the beautiful country I been working legally.. It is time to the American people to stop does illegal immigrants to control United State ,everything that they don't like they call inmediatly discrimination. the illegal immigrant need to understand that they are breaking the law and they hurt us all. I been travel to others countries and they required to have my passport and visa with me where ever I go all times, is nothing wrong with that. so I don't think it is discrimination they need to deported those people. I supported 100% to the Gov. Jan Brewer

April 29, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  129. ROB

why is aliens rights being fought for so hard?????????
    not one thing is said about citizens rights...........aliens are criminals,
    if it wasn't for vote chasers, congress would get rid of them...the funny
    thing is with all the people yelling for aliens, they would be surprised
    how many aliens after being checked had a copy of their ID...it is crazy
    to give amnesty to any no matter how long they've been here.........

April 29, 2010 at 8:45 pm |
  130. EviB

All immigrants who are not documanted and are on the run and hiding ,in jail ,murderers,rapists,peadophiles or any drug dealing and violent nature, possession of guns, should b etold to register first .

In that way you can deal with the ones who are danger to society.

Do not punish people who have been paying taxes,and working their backs off to survive.Dont separate families who are genuine.

There will be lots of suicides an dblood in your land as many people have nothing to go back to in mexico.

Be wise

April 29, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  131. JB

I just watched CNN's report on the couple that had to split up because of their FEAR of the new AZ law. The woman has a masters degree and her husband is an undocumented resident. Apparently, according to the reporter, they were legally married.

This story was presented and written to produce sympathy for an issue that doesn't exist. If the couple had been married in the US (which the journalist never divulges where they were married), then the husband can stay – all he has to do is go get his green card.

If they didn't get married in the US, then they should hot foot it down to the local justice of the peace and do so. Then they will be legally married and he can go get his GREEN CARD.

The irresponsibility of CNN to fail to present the facts regarding the federal laws affecting MARRIED citizens to non-citizens is incomprehensible to me. As a news agency you should not only protect the right of free speech, you should also guard it from blantant abuse. You are a news agency, if you dont' like the thing that is happening fine report the truth, but don't fabricate a story just to incite anger and sympathy. If you truly wanted to help this couple, maybe instead of reporting on their ignorance and perpetuating it. You could have done the story from the angle of educating worried LEGAL immigrants about what they need to carry with them and what qualifies them to be LEGAL.

Same on CNN for such a biased and inacurate piece of propaganda.

April 30, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  132. Gary Ryan

Joe Arpio and the feds are arresting lots of people without this new law and are getting results.these people that are protesting are all of those that illegally migrated here for years and now that they have to put up or get the heck out they think that this is illegal.well it's simple .either your an American citizen or your not.there are a few ways that you can prove this 1-with a drivers license-in which no illegal can get because you have to be a citizen-2 -a social security number-in which no illegal has because it is registered with the federal government -3-a medicare card-in which no illegal can get because they would have to have a driver's license to show that they are who they say they are.so if all of these people think it illegal then they are the ones that are illegal.And now the feds have a hot line the police can call in a minute to check as to who you are.Wake up illegal people in this state of Arizona and around the country.the check is coming to you next!!!

April 30, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  133. Chad Isbill

I am watching these illegal immigrants on T.V. being angry that they are being jailed and deported because of minor violations. Being in our country illegally, the first act they did was break our laws. Do we want people here who disregard our laws. We are a melting pot but come here legally.

May 1, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  134. michael

the wording of the law leaves too much open. what if the police say i stopped him because he was jaywalking and he was "acting nervous" so i asked for papers? that "reasonable suspicion" wording is already abused on a national scale so i support the boycott. The governor is responsible for the people's situation so either accept the consequences or change the law to make it better. The jobs the hispanics have, americans would gladly do. BUT not at 3 dollars an hour or possibly less. and that is why we have this so called "problem" pay us even 5 dollars an hour and see what happens. but then again even if we were willing to take the lesser amount we still wouldn't get hired.

May 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  135. 69buick

Its about time they are cracking down on illegal immigrants, its the law that you cannot be in the United States if you dont belong here, we all have to get passports to visit other countrys, they need to go through the proper avenues too. Arizonia cannot check passports because these people are jumping our borders and smuggling their selfs in. Arizonia is taking the law into their own hands because the government is not inforcing the law. We the people passed these laws, not the illegal immigrants. Citizens should be thankful for Arizonia standing their ground. The people protesting should be ashamed of themselves.

May 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  136. mike dilrya

Apartheid
    I grew up in South Africa during the height of the policy called apartheid. It simply means apartness or segregation. During those years’ people who were classified as "native" as opposed to "European" were compelled to carry passbooks if they worked in "white" areas. They could live in white areas only if they were living in the servant’s quarters at their employer's home. Only the worker, not her family. This meant that people who were born in South Africa but who were not classified as white had to carry their passbooks on them at all times. If one was as unfortunate as to forget it at home when going to a local store to buy a loaf of bread they could be arrested, and would have to wait in the cells until their "madam" came to fetch them. It seems that Arizona is heading the same way, as legitimate citizens born elsewhere and legal immigrants will have to carry their documentation on them. No different from pass laws without the dubious convenience of having a single document. I would loathe going there as a tourist, as I would have to carry my passport on my person even if I went for a jog, but then again – they won't stop me – after all I am white. Make not mistake about it racial profiling is a form of fascism. This is a sad turn in a land once known as Freedom.

May 1, 2010 at 5:49 pm |