Today on CNN Newsroom

May 3rd, 2010

A Brand New Day by Ali Velshi

It's a brand new era for CNN.  Unfortunately I can't be here with you this week as we launch our new set and our new show but I've left you in good hands with my colleagues TJ Holmes and Don Lemon.
Before I left though, I wanted to leave this message for you.  This new set is symbolic of changes we're continually making to make watching us important and useful to you. Obviously we look a little different today than we did last week, but we're also going to be delivering a different experience. Our team will  be introducing new segments this week that we hope will keep you visiting us during this time we share, in this space where we welcome all kinds of backgrounds, views and political stripes.
  • In this new space we'll bring you stories of people affecting great change in a segment we call Mission Possible.
  • For my geeky friends out there…and trust me…I'm not mocking-I am one…we'll have The Big I.  The Big I tackles big ideas:  inventions, new ways of doing business, cures, scientific advances, whacky proposals and technology.  It's the stuff of our science fairs and business plan competitions, ideas that will change the way we live and ways you can prosper from them. It's positive, optimistic and it's not stuff you'll see on other news shows.
  • But those inventions and innovations wont keep coming unless our kids are educated properly, which is why each day, we'll be bringing you Chalk Talk. If your child doesn't get a high school diploma, they're twice as likely as the average of being unemployed. Who is doing education right? And how can we make that happen in every classroom across America? Chalk Talk will tackle that.
There's lots more like this so please continue to join us here every weekday at 1pm on the East coast and 10 am on the West coast.
And don't worry news and politics – you'll still get it all here.  The news is, after all, what CNN is all about.
These are my words;  Ive said it before and I'll keep saying it – YOU  are the people I get up in the morning to serve.
I need your input and your criticism – good or bad.  This show is for you.
So reach out to me on Facebook-send me a tweet @alivelshi -   The street I work on runs two ways. If you have a story you think needs telling–send my Executive Producer a note: Kelly.Frank@cnn.com
I grew up on and love the news but today when you can get the news anywhere you look, we're aiming to give you more insight, deeper analysis, and a detailed understanding of the things that matter to you; information that can help you make better decisions about your health, your safety, your prosperity and your family.
I'm trying to build a different relationship with you.
My team and I will do the heavy lifting.
All you have to do is turn us on.
I promise-I'll work hard to make it worth your time.
Thanks for watching,
Ali
Post by: , ,
Filed under: Ali Velshi • CNN Newsroom • XYZ
  1. Amanda Walton

Looking forward to the always improving CNN Ali.. Cheers!!

May 3, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  2. sherif nathoo

Looking fwd to the Big I segments

May 3, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  3. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Will the new blog be set for arguments between blogger's .

May 3, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  4. David Thelen

I believe we all have a small piece of the solutions puzzle and may not even know it. As they say in business and in the sciences, if you are not taking 2 steps forward, change of itself will set you back by 1 step. They also say, out of 200 ideas, 2 may be winners.
    Can a new talk radio or news program, with the help of the internet, solve problems? For example, can new CNN videos educate the public on current technologies facing various situations? This time it may show the technologies used for oil drilling offshore. It could also show the challenges of plugging the current oil well that is leaking. Various technologies could be shown that are being considered today to plug that leaking oil well.
    Perhaps a few levels of contests could be organized. Ideas could be submitted by blogging. This way, good ideas may build upon one another. Ideas could be voted on by tweeting. Experts could be involved as part of this new contest. This way they could blog the strengths and weaknesses of every new blog idea. These contests could be equipped with large scholarships or monetary awards for the best ideas submitted. The larger the prize, the more ideas will be submitted. The more likely an excellent idea will be formulated. Runner-ups would also win awards as well.
    After solving the leaking oil well problem, CNN could organize contests for everything from solving the immigration problem to our deficit problem. I believe we all have a small piece of the solutions puzzle and may not even know it. These contests may raise the chance of us discovering new ways to solve the many problems we are facing…Today it is the leaking oil well problem. Tomorrow it may be the baby boomer retirement crisis and what to do about it…

May 3, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  5. Butch Jordan

The future gets brighter every day! Cheers Ali ...

May 3, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  6. Pam

I liked your mid-day show because you actually permit your guests and other reporters to complete a sentence. You don't interrupt with your personal opinion on the topic.

With that said, who's going to cover finance? Will you still have your weekend show?

May 3, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  7. Sheldon

As Tony-the-Tiger would say the changes sound GRRRRREAT!!!

May 3, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  8. Jason Wright

I'm glad to hear that you're playing to America's strengths in innovation. I look forward to your Big I segments. I'm writing a scifi story that, while entertaining, will propose several ideas for tackling big world problems (i.e. clean energy, lack of potable water, long term economic stability). It is now a proven concept: user generated content leads to better solutions. Occasionally, some college student will propose a presidential running mate that won't quite work out.

May 3, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  9. Gene Lucas

First, Good Luck Ali. I hope that the education part of the show will include career/technical education, which California has a massive (and excellent) standard for, but no programs. The school systems are still in the hands of the academics-only crowd – even though less than half of our high-school graduates here in Chico go on to college of any kind. Again, good luck, Gene

May 3, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  10. maze1gerald

I kinda like the new set it puts me in the mind of a bridge on a starship anything that is futuristic has my full attention.

May 3, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  11. maze1gerald

I like to see a real time yes and no opinon bargraph to the right of the Video screen.

May 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 19,331 other followers