Today on CNN Newsroom

May 18th, 2010

High-Stakes Elections: What do You Want?

Voters are turning out at the polls for several high-stakes elections today. Voting under way in Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Arkansas – seen as a measure of just how angry voters are nationwide.

Being put to the test: Anti-incumbent sentiment and Tea Party power.

One thing is clear: Most of you do not like the direction this country is taking. A new Gallup Poll shows 24% of respondents are satisfied with the way things are going. A whopping 74% are dissatisfied.

We want to hear from you. What do you want?
Leave us a comment. We'll share some of them on air in the CNN Newsroom, 11am-1pm ET.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Tony Harris
  1. Leslie Weinberg

Republicans in, Democrats out!!!

May 18, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  2. Mark Weber

I want the government to start being more responsible and stop spending so much money. Our deficit is out of control. We are going to end up like Greece if we continue on this path. I am going to vote against any incumbant no matter what party they belong to.

Louisville Kentucky

May 18, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  3. Jane Alexander

What I want to see is the courage to rein in government spending before we go the way of Greece!

May 18, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  4. Scott F

I would like to see job security again. It is now being reported that the only jobs being offered are temp/contract positions which offer no health insurance, sick days, vacation time, or 401K options. As a 28 year old, I find this trend incredibly disheartening and frightning. So bring back jobs– good jobs that pay a fair wage and offer some security.

May 18, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  5. Joe Jarvis

What do I want? What I want is secure employment. I have worked for 34 years (30 with one company) and now find myself withour a job. Am I mad?.....hell yes.

May 18, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  6. themanonthestreet

Throw ALL of the Cronies out! Every incumbent needs to go! Anti-Croniesm will rule!

May 18, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  7. Modi

Basically Tony the main thing that a lot of people want is civil debate and actually rational discussion. Extreme left and right drive ratings and advertising. The country does not think that the current system of fighting back and forth with media trying to referee it. Good for ratings bad for society. I also want to add that the phrase politics as usual is extremely loaded and bias towards the core ideals of public service. Keep it up and no qualified engaging people will ever get involved.

May 18, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  8. Jim

What we need is leaders that work toward a common goal. Right now we have two parties that have the Bush doctrine as a party rule "You are either with us or against us." What we really need is to get the money out of Washington. The supreme court was wrong when they said that a company has the same rights as an individual when it comes to contributions. Companies are made up of individuals so those individuals are being heard twice for some.

May 18, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  9. Mayur

We want our out-of-control government to stop thinking they need to take care of us all from cradle to grave, monetizing our record debt with inflation, and end bailouts as we know it for everyone! Less is more.

May 18, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  10. Julie

I am voting today for Bill Halter. I am very tired of Senator Lincoln not voting for the things that are important to me as a Democrat. Her vote against the Public Option in the Health Care Bill, was one of many times she wasn't "Democrat" enough for me.

May 18, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  11. David Hamilton

We want tobacco, oil, and drug companies to be forced into a not for profit structure, along with the health insurance industry, and possibly retail (ie wal mart). We want to decriminallize opiates, regulate them, tax them, and force them non profit, in order to end the war against the drug cartels in Afganistan. We want to decriminallize all other drugs, in order to end wars in Colombia and Mexico, over profit generated by our hypocritical drug laws (We are, after all, the #1 consumer worldwide). We want a modern education system, free online classes for all citizens, k -phd. We want to eliminate tax loopholes for "international corporations", and the wealthy. We want a lot more than our government is willing to give us right now, but the tea party, that wants our government to give us less, doesn't help.

May 18, 2010 at 10:09 am |
  12. Norm

Hi. What we want is for most of our so called political representatives to get their collective heads back on their shoulders where they belong. They no longer care or think about just who it is that pay their salaries. They have forgotten they are there to represent us, not their personal pockets. Republicans and Democrats alike just don't get it! I think if enough of them are fired and replaced, perhaps then they will listen. Even our President does not get it. All they can think of is to get the job by any means possible, even if they have to lie, cheat, and steal from the tax payers to get it. Watch the elections. You will see what we really want!

May 18, 2010 at 10:09 am |
  13. Keren

I'm a lifelong Democrat, but I'll be the first to admit that America has long been a moderately conservative country. Republicans have gotten too extreme, and the opposition and rhetoric from both sides have often stalled progress in this country. What I want is for Washington to come to an agreement about what needs to be done, and get it done.

May 18, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  14. Kathy Short

I would like everyone to remember that there are millions of long-termed unemployed workers. I am 60 years old, am a single mom and have been looking for a job since May, 2008. My benefits have run out, I have not been able to pay my property taxes for 2 years (even though I paid off my house on my own, years ago). They now want to auction it off. Those of us need unemployment benefits to continue still want to work, but have not been successful yet. Who wants a 60 year old instead of a 30 year old? Employers are afraid that the older workers will leave when they can receive social security (who could live on that?) or that we will take a higher paying job later on. Who knows? But right now, we need to survive, not live on the street and do without food and meds. Please bring this to the forfront-I have not heard anyone seriously discuss this on a news show or in the media. I speak for all the exhaustees (or 99's, as some call us)-PLEASE DON'T FORGET ABOUT US! Thanks, Tony Kathy

May 18, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  15. fedupvotor

I want what we were promised.
    Change, transparency, bipartisanship, and to be heard. Unfortunately, this is not happening. (no surprise) This administration is not much different that previous ones although they have found a way to control their image. The arrogance, corruption, and the LIES, it too much to swallow.

May 18, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  16. Mark

I want a Congress that works together on all issues and puts the people first. I want the roll of lobbyists to become nonexistent. I want the American people to become more involved with the issues. I want the media to report only unbiased news and not to give conjecture/opinions and personal comments.

May 18, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  17. Mike

Tariffs on foreign goods to cut the trade deficit and protect American workers. Penalties on companies that outsource jobs. Enforcement of the immigration laws. Penalties for companies that hire illegals. We are tired of government that listens more to big business than to the people they are suppost to represent. Washington is suppost to be government for the people by the people. Not government for the greedy at the expense of the people.

May 18, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  18. carlton

This country has to start with a common goal . First educate all children in every state with the best and proven educational system possible. As for elections I believe a 8 yr term sholud be the limit you can serve in the senate or congress. They all be come to comfortable with the power and the game of politics. Just as we see today it takes a personal failing to get politicians to resign!! 8yrs and out!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  19. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Whats wrong with wanting our leaders to read bills before they veto them none of them have read Arizonas bill .

May 18, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  20. Dwayne

A lot of things need changed in Washington starting with those elected representatives we expected more out of. In spite of a great number of "worthless" elected officials in Washington there are a lot of good ones who have worked to fix our problems. The Obama administration took on more significant problems on day one than any other president in current history. The GOP immediately declared war on the Democrats and the Obama Administration and have done very little to help fix our problems. Most of the Republicans though are good people but fell in behind the GOP leadership rather than stand up for what they believe in and what America needs. Hopefully when the voting is through we have a new group of representatives that believe more in America than their party leadership. Certainly the GOP leadership needs to be replaced

May 18, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  21. Steve

Here is the change I want to see in America:

Smaller, less partisan government.
    Lower taxes (from smaller government).
    Less dependency on government spending (ie, smaller government)
    More efficient government agencies with less layers of bureaucracy.
    An end to the arrogant power trip in Washington.
    Servants in public office, not lords.
    An immediate end to "machine style" politics that we are seeing today.
    Protection of personal freedom, despite our flaws and mistakes.

I want American Government to return to the basics outlined by the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence... a long way from where we are today.

May 18, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  22. Jose

I want Congress to make tough decisions and stabilize our economy. Part of this includes slashing the military budget and recovering bail out money plus interest comparable to what credit card companies have charged the general public for years! I believe Obama was given a mandate by the people and for the people but Congress has not honored our voice. Thus, Congress will feel the pain of our anger in the upcoming elections.

May 18, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  23. Brigette

I want the government to start treating America's Truck Driver's and their families with respect, and to stop using Truckers to finance all their problems. America's Truck Driver's are in serious trouble, and knowone will listen; however, they have no problem introducing new laws and regulations that should be imposed on all All Americans, not just a specific group.

I am fed up with politics being played they way they see fit with no regards whether we receive a pay check, or are able to feed our families. The majority of Truck Driver's bring home between $300 and $800 a week before the government gets their hands into the kitty. They need to stop targeting truckers to fix their problems.

Not one representative cares about the truckers and the truckers know it. Imagine how many votes will lost because know body cared. Washington does not even take time to sit down and talk to truckers, they just shuffle us through the system to benefit their own needs. Regulation, and more regulations, and still more regulations, and lets not forget TAXES!

May 18, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  24. Roger

Is "new" or throwing out the existing leadership because 'Washington is broke and not working' necessarily a "good thing"?

How much turmoil will a major turnover in leadership make on existing legislative efforts – some of which take years to formulate, draft, get concensus on, negotiate. Believe me, I'm not exactly 'for' professional politicians, but, a major turnover in congressional and senatorial membership can set some efforts back for years and we end up with a 'lame duck' polictical machine not much better than we have now.

"New" is not always better...........sometimes the american public are a bit short-sighted and get concerned with only the here-and-now, and forget the bigger picture.

I am also concerned with some 'polictical opportunisium' I see from those who are positioning themselves as the "New" solution – for example 'purported' Tea Party candidates who are or maybe taking advantage of the current sentiments of the american people.

May 18, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  25. joe larson

hi tony, this is joe from watertown wi. i want all americans to have a voice in what the government puts into law. what about us lets just bail out everyone who needs it but has there been any help for the average american? i am a nurse and they say there is a nursing shortage! i have not been able to get a decent full time job since oct 2009. is anyone listining!

May 18, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  26. Lisa K

The people who are unhappy with the economy are those who naively expect over night change. They seem unable to recognize that this administration kept our country from sinking into a full blown depression and that it has already made some positive changes and continues to do so. If they think electing Republicans will give them the overnight change they want – they are sorely mistaken. It was a Republican administration that got us into this mess. God help us if people don't wake up and realize this before they go to the polls.

May 18, 2010 at 10:22 am |
  27. Michael Armstrong Sr.

We have to much change in America we want dollar bills .

May 18, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  28. Joe

What do I want? I want the same thing Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and other Founding Fathers wanted. That is liberty and small government. Further I want a government that stays within the limits put on it by the USA Constitution. In today's political climate they'd be calling for another revolution, government has gotten too big, with liberty and not government limited.

Heck, many of the Founders would be considered drug dealers now. The first three presidents of the USA grew or supported growing hemp aka marijuana. The first president George Washington said "Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere." John Adams the second President said "We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption." And Thomas Jefferson said "Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country." After congress and FDR made hemp illegal it encouraged farmers to grow it during World War II. The federal government went so far as to made the movie "Hemp for Victory" then showed it to farmers to encourage them to grow it.

No matter how many tymes I read it and search the USA Constitution I can't find the words "health", "medical", or "medicine" in it and as Thomas Jefferson also said "To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specifically drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."

May 18, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  29. A Baker

It is time big business and their stake holders take responsibility for the survival of their business. It should not be up to the Tax Payers to bail out companies who fail! It is time the U.S. gets an updated Immigration Law that does not include amnesty in anyway for any illegal aliens and no “bumper babies.” It is time our elected officials show some fortitude and do what is right for America and not just blindly fall in behind the GOP leaders. These people were elected to represent their states and the country not the party leaders! Fix Americas problems, get the illegal aliens out of our country, and start taking care of the people rather than corporations.

May 18, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  30. Jeryl

I want a smaller federal government and more power returned to the states. I want less government intrusion into the private sector, however, I am in favor of reining in big business. Give more encouragement to small businesses, which are the backbone of our country. I want the borders secured and all excess illegal aliens sent back to their country of origin. Let their own countries educate and feed them. I want far less entitlements and less government employment.

May 18, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  31. DAlnB

Immigration reform WITHOUT AMNESTY for ANY illegal Aliens and no automatic citizenship for babies born in the United States to illegal aliens or immigrants on short term work or educational visas. The majority of Americans and legal immigrants want immigration reform but very few want amnesty for the illegal aliens. The immigration laws can be rewritten without giving amnesty but the gutless representatives in Washington are afraid they will loose votes and the big companies that are employing the illegals are paying off elected officials to stall immigration reform. If We Do Not Get Positive Action In Getting The Illegal People Out Of Our Country Before The General Elections Then Every Person In Office Needs To Be Removed; if they are not enforcing our federal laws and are not worthy of being in office!

May 18, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  32. Dianna

Tony,
    I am unhappy that Sarah Palin gets so much undeserved attention – she's just smart enough to keep stirring the pot to make money. Once her life in Alaska was taken away from her she needed to find a platform to support her family and that is exactly what she is doing. She's is an attractive sound box for hire.

May 18, 2010 at 11:02 am |
  33. Dianna

I am not sure where these polls come from that show so many people dissatisfied with the direction of our country. Are polls being taken at Tea Party Rallies because the base of the country that I am exposed to feels positive, proud and have hope with patience and understanding that even though times are tough right now we are making progress and it is getting better.

I also agree with comments left by Roger and Lisa K.

May 18, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  34. Brigette

I agree with other viewer's concerning illegal immigrants. The United States should not endure all the responsibility. Nothing ticks me off more than making a phone call and having the recording tell me to push one for English. Why? Why don't the recordings say, "push one another language?" Sorry, but there is something wrong with the options.

May 18, 2010 at 11:09 am |
  35. Dianna

Even though there has been alot of debate (negative by most of the republicans) – there has been alot of good intelligent debate that bring smart ideas to the table for what our country needs most. President Obama has been very effective and intuitive in bringing these smart people together and keeping a firm backbone on those just wanting to make noise and not be part of the discussions of solutions for all of us.

May 18, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  36. Susan A

What I would like from Washington: Congressional Job Transparency. Every American should search the Secretary of Congress website and view who "donate$" to each Congressmen. Citizens could then see if a Congressmen Votes to "spend" taxpayer "revenue" dollars based on any generous donation$. Additionaly, just as public companies must disclose Leadership team compensation, the compensation of public servant Leaders must also be completely disclosed. Anderson Cooper would do well to encourage a clear presentation of this information on Each Congress person's website – as a "Just Keeping them Honest" segment...

Did your network report that each Congressmen personally spends about 2 million to run for one of these 'seats'?
    –Would Honest Abe have a chance today?

May 18, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  37. Dianna

I want more of the details of the changes to our country to be explained to everyone. I feel voters are angry because they do not understand enough of the details about the benefits of the changes that are taking place in our country.
    For Example: If there was a healthcare bill sooner which offered an alternative medical plan option to those that have not reached medicare age and want to retire then many of those people could have retired sooner and left job openings to those what and need to work now.
    There are many who work and don't need to work but do so just to keep healthcare benefits. They worked many years and have saved for retirement and now want to enjoy life....but needing healhcare benefits have kept them away from spending money in your town and from have kept job openings from being available.

May 18, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  38. Joe Collins

I want a much smaller govt, dramatically lower taxes and a strong defense. That is not a lot to ask and it would help most Americans.

May 18, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  39. Ben

well I believe the answer lies somewhere in between ron paul and jesse ventura.

May 18, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  40. Eduardo Mitchell

I want my country back. I want my government to protect our Constitutional rights and freedoms.

May 18, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  41. Carroll

Tony what I want is a Congress that will support the president's program without so much fighting, at least until we get out of the mess that we're in.

May 18, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  42. Brandon

A) End the federal war on drugs. (Rand Paul supports this coincidentally)

AP reported that after $1 trillion spent and 40 years, this "war" has achieved ZERO of its stated goals.

B) Legalize industrial hemp farming. Hemp is much more ecologically friendly. It requires less water to grow than cotton and no pesticides or insecticides. This could spawn a new generation of manufacturing products that could replace cotton for fabric and trees for paper.

May 18, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  43. Benjamin L

The govenrment is making many steps to expand central government which as a side-effect limits our freedoms. New taxes, new rules, and new penalties involved with the healthcare bill are prime examples.

May 18, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  44. Scott M. Davis

I live in Arizona but I think that Spector is too old for the position. He should be voted out.

May 18, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  45. Larry Iverson

For over 15 million of us... JOBS. While congress wasted 8 months on health care refrorm (????) the jobless kept growing. Many of us run out of unemployments benefits the end of this month. Wave 2 of housing defaults? Vote the bums out!

May 18, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  46. Eric

I want a congress that has the political clout to:
    1) shut down K Street
    2) remove the filibuster and ALL ridiculous parliamentary rules
    3) establish appropriate regulatory oversight over critical markets
    4) completely overhaul our entire tax system

May 18, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  47. pie

stop illegal immigration.we need to secure borders.
    illegals place huge burden on taxpayer.

May 18, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  48. peter black

Tony,

What do I want you ask. i want this country to reverse its current evolution into a fascist state. i want nafta and the other trade agreements ended. i want corporate control of the media to be outlawed. i want public financing of political campaigns. i want americans to stop trading freedom for security. all of that would be a good start.

peter

May 18, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  49. S Laange

It is time for the elected officials to represent the US Citizens and not the foreign countries/people. This government has sold our rights and souls to China and Mexico. It is time to take it back for the people and protect our rights. Immigration is a main issue I will be voting on (will happliy switch parties if necessary) to protect my Constitutional Rights. Millions of immigrants (including my family) came legally to America....why can't millions of illegals do the same. My heart goes out to those who are legal but are looked down at because they are lumped into the illegal category. This is not a Mexican issue it is ALL illegals from many countries. This is a huge drain on America and they are prejuring themselves if they say differently. Vote for the candidate with the American Citizens in mind not the one who will say anything to get a vote.

May 18, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  50. Dianna

I want to keep our Democrats who are strong and have backbone to fight and defend what is right and do not back down to out of control and extreme republicans who have no good idea's of their own. I want to keep in office the Democrats who understand that sometimes to get want you want you have to negotiate for a common solution.

May 18, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  51. Robert

I would like to see a national works program like the one ennacted by President Roosevelt in the late 1930's. Perhaps a well structured and planned project would put many Americans back to work. Surely the money can be found somewhere to train employable Americans, and the resulting skills learned by individuals in the program could be transferred to future private sector positions after the labor term has been completed.

May 18, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  52. Sam

A more imperialistic United States. Nothing like having human rights trampled on all over the world while we sit back and watch. A united planet will equal a more peaceful world. Get with Russia and China, we could split the world in thirds and then work on integrating everyone after that.

May 18, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  53. Judy Lachance

I don't understand this dissatisfaction because while there are serious problems, things will get better. I'm 70 years old and maybe that's why I don't feel so angry but it seems like whenever there is some positive news, someone is in the media saying "yes, but..." It seems like we, as a nation, have become so short sighted and so self- centered that we don't look long term and at the bigger picture. Or perhaps, I'm just old...

May 18, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  54. Craig -- Kentucky

You asked, "what do we want?" Well, I want someone in DC to actually do what they came there to do, not just stand there and blame the other party for not making progress. From the Democrats, man up and do something, stop worrying so much, from the Republicans, instead of just being the sore losers that you are clearly being, get up off your butts and be "for" something again, not just against President Obama.

May 18, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  55. Ruth

I just want us to learn how to have civil discourse. From TV pundits chattering on so called "news programs" to talk show hosts to all the members of both parties in Congress, the screaming matches have to stop. Hatred and negative talk that fills the air poisons our souls. Couldn't we respect those who may differ in opinion with us as fellow human beings and at least start listening to WHY they believe and feel the way they do rather then simply discount them as "Idiots"?You in the mass media are key to starting this type of conversation about ideas, not attack against humans.

My biggest disappointment since the last election is that the "we are the UNITED nations" has become a joke because particularly it seems all sides see it to their political advantage to take hard line positions and rational discussion is lost.

I have lived as a US citizen in Africa for twenty years of my life and I guarantee you that if we don't find a better way, we will have tribal warfare here just as it has happened in countless other countries. Having lived through a coup, I tell you it is not a pretty sight.

May 18, 2010 at 11:43 am |
  56. Pat K

I want a more liberal agenda than we've gotten.

I'm a straight, married woman, but I'd like to see the end of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and DOMA and implementation of ERISA. I'd like to see my gay friends able to wed and get full benefits for their partners.

I'd like to see speedy implementation of the health care bill pass be congress.

I'd like to see us out of Iraq and a rapid conclusion of our presence in Afghanistan.

I'd like to see the pubic aknowledge the remarkable job that the administration (not necessarily the congress) has done to correct the disasterous direction of economy and to begin creating jobs.

May 18, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  57. Brian Smith

People want jobs. Simply to become economically viable like news anchors. To provide for themselves and there families. That's it!!!!
    However, due to most American's lack of appreciation on behalf of the Big 3 auto makers, which have fueled America for over a century. The jobs are gone forever, never to be replaced. The future, hmmm!!!!

If history is a lesson, then we should have learned. However, American's are reactionary. They only respond after the fact. Never preventive in business sector of America.
    Corporations have lobbyist. They all should be banned. It makes no sense to have lobbyist.
    It only breeds corruption. I guess you have to be a rocket scientist to have common sense in this country today.

May 18, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  58. Timothy

Too much government intervention and regulation has obviously created the financial crisis we are in now. The last thing we need at this point are more bailouts, stimulus packages, and other massive spending programs. The fundamental principle that needs to permeate through the federal and state governments is that more government is not the answer and that begins with cutting spending.

May 18, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  59. Geo. Pat. Bahan

Z.P.G.! If we honestly embraced zero population growth (or better yet targeted lowering the number of Americans) we would be in a much better position to deal with many of the other problems we now face. Wouldn't it be a radical concept, to try to provide for a better quality of life, instead of more consumers?

May 18, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  60. Dianna

I want people to understand what the benefits of regulation is: If we did not have government regulation in some area's of our lives then for example we would not have clean water. Do people understand where and how that came to be and where we were before. Our elected officials need to educate the people of our country in these and many of the simple facts.

May 18, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  61. Pat Ritchie

Easy: Congress get out of the way. A congress of the people, by the people and most of all FOR the people.

May 18, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  62. Marc

Jobs, manufacture plants not leaving the USA, no more temp jobs through 700 billion stimulus funding, real stability jobs. Stop the war spending, spend our tax dollars here where we need it most. Stop sending money to countries that can take care of themselves and spend our money here.

May 18, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  63. KarL S

I want imigration reform at the goverment level: campain finance reform; line item veto; spending cuts; no more pork barrel spending; vote out whoever is in office now and put in new(Rep or Dem); put back in place regulations on wallstreet and impose the invisable hand; a comprehensive plan to stimulate business in USA; trade balance; and get off foreign oil as fast as possible. A dream that can never be in our govenment until the gangrene of partisanship is eliminated.

May 18, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  64. Jimmy T

I want to see change in Washington. Back in 2008 we all thought that change would be Barack Obama. Even though I think he has good intensions all I see from his administration is more of the same. Looking back I believe the right candidate to bring about this change was Ron Paul. I support his veiws of lower spending and lower taxes, less federal control and more state power, non interference in the internal affairs of other countries and more individual freedom. In my opinion these steps must be taken in order to bring down our national debt and return America to the prosperity She enjoyed a generation ago.

May 18, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  65. Travis

I want what alot of the same things that my Alabama constituets want jobs jobs jobs and if u can't deliver then we will find someone who can!

May 18, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  66. Dave

What troubles me is when i hear Republican candidates,running for office in upcoming elections in 2010,say that Democrats are the foe.Lets face the facts the Republican,the party of no,have accomplish nothing in Washington D.C. but stalled vital bills(health care reform,extending unemployment benefits and now financial reform.)Republican will understand how angry voters are come the November election.

May 18, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  67. Bryan

We need to and want to put term limits on all politicians 2 terms your out,and make lobbying illegals our politicians and there greed has sold out to evil greedy terrosit, bansters, oil greed, the arms cartels. we need to take governemtn back and our meida for one to break up the media lobbies becuase our media is worthless, there government/ corporate news hacks actors to selingl lies to the American people. I

May 18, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
  68. Mogul3

I honestly do not understand what has happened to the average American. I always thought we were a strong nation, a resilient populace, and believers in the power of our might, but all I am hearing today is a bunch of whinners, blaming everyone for their, often self-imposed, misery. So what if you vote out all the incumbents? How is that going to help the situation? We must change the paradigm and from what I am seeing in the new crop of candidates, we will simlple end up with more of the same.

I suggest Americans become more educated instead of foolishly following talk show hosts and other less educated types. Take a course in economics and learn how the system truly works. While you are at it, read the constitution – all of it. True, the deficit is large enough to cause concern, but think of the alternative. Come on folks get real. You cannot have it both ways. We all need to sacrifice in ways we have never done before. It's not about the president or the incumbents, it's about our profligate ways that are coming home to roost. We created much of the chaos through out-of-control spending (yes, we did) and living recklessly and above our means.

Yes, we should hold our representatives responsible, but it is long past the blame game. Think of workable solutions instead and send them to your representatives. Let us all look for solutions instead of playing the blame game. We are better than that,

May 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  69. Jim L

I Want to see reductions in spending. A cut back of 50% in foreign aid
    would go a long way in reducing our indebtedness. Some of the countries we give millions to are in better financial shape than we are
    and some are not even our friends. Let's get our own house in good order first. Our infrastructure,highways & bridges are in dire need of repairs. State governments need federal assistance, education
    and medicine also need funding. And let's start looking at ways to extract ourselves out of the conflicts in the middle east.
    When families find themselves in financial trouble, they cut back on all non essentials. I would not be giving money to friends and neighors at the expense of my own.

May 18, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  70. kelly

Hey CNN, you are already are saying "The Tea Party candidate" what party, do they operate under the same restrictions and guidelines the Democratic Party and the Republican Party are operating on? When was their primary?
    The Press should ask them in every interview, "Where was this anger under Bush #2?" After all, the Democrats left him a Balanced Budget, Trillions of dollars in surplus when he took power. The Republicans left the Democrats Trillions of $'s in debt, 2 unfunded Wars, and an Economy that was about to colapse. Where was the angry "Tea Party" then? Huh? Quit treating them as a "Party". Tthey are an angry bunch of far right, rich white people, who will be losing their unfunded Bush#2 unfunded tax cuts. Poor, Poor "Tea Party"

May 18, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  71. dave

What do I want? I want CNN to analize the incumbants voting record and compare it to the record and report it. Are they do what they promised to do? Did they introduce bills to do what they intended?

May 18, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  72. Richard V

I am a conservative and I do not like the direction this country is taking. I'm one of 74% dissatisfied. I'm joined, in this sentiment, by many liberals who want the opposite of what I want, and lunatics on both sides who propose silly things like legalizing drugs. A better poll would determine what direction do we want the country to head?

My direction would be:

Less spending – we don't need the government to do so much for us.
    Less entitlement – for the most part we can take care of ourselves.
    Less government – corruption and inefficiency? Less, please!

May 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  73. Michael in Phoenix

I want to see the same thing happen to our ruling class as france did with theirs in 1793.

May 18, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  74. Donna

People want (and deserve) decent services. Education, law enforcement, emergency services, and so on. However, in order for the government to provide those services, it has to have the money to pay for them. Where does it get that money from? Our taxes, that's where. But what happens when the government says "oh, we can't afford this, we'll have to raise taxes to pay for it"?? There's immediately a knee jerk backlash "NO NEW TAXES!!" You cannot get something for nothing. If we want to improve education, if we want to have a decent level of law enforcement in our communities–and I've read where all over the US some communities are being forced to cut back on just those things due to lack of money in their budgets–we are going to have to grow up and accept more taxes. For the sake of our children's education, for the sake of safe communities, let's stop protesting when the idea of raising taxes is even mentioned. Let's accept paying out more taxes, we'll get that money back in the form of better services.

May 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  75. Ray

I want CNN and other networks to quote Dick Blumenthal directly. Even The New York Times mentions the debate in March in which Blumenthal said he had been “in the reserves” and added, “Although I did not serve in Vietnam, I have seen firsthand the effects of military action.”

The quote is from a video of him telling the truth on video during a debate. So of course he misspoke. Be honest, CNN.

This is more freakin' swiftboating.

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  76. Karl O. Moyers

I just want the elected officials and their governmental staffs to just do the peoples business, not wall street, not the oil companies, not the automobile industry, not the health care business. I still hope that WE THE PEOPLE really stands for something!

May 18, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  77. Elvia M. Chalmers

I want politicians who are not career politicians who are in Washington to "represent" their constituency. I was a Democrat at 21, switched to Republican somewhere in my 30's and don't know where to land now. As an independent I have no say as to who is on the ballot, but.....I am not certain I do anyway.

By the way I am an African-American female, Evangelical and a retired educator age 65. I've lived through a lot of changes and am praying for politicians who truly care about Main Street.

May 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm |
  78. Tom - Retired Teacher

Voters are being pushed to support the extremes in each party , from ultra conservative to ultra liberal. Even the party leaders make their members stand in line for party votes. Most people are in the middle of the extreme views. I've always wondered why there aren't more moderates in both parties, who can compromise positions. Seems to me, the majority would be happier than have the opposite extreme view. Of course, the party and their leaders would lose some clout.

May 18, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  79. maze1gerald

I don't trust sarah palin she seems like the type that if she was president she would continue to give meaningless speaches while everything goes down hill.getting jeers and catcalls.I'm for Obama.

May 19, 2010 at 2:20 am |
  80. John Tyler Erie, Pa

Change is good, and we need a good house cleaning every few years. Term limits would be a good place to start. This would prevent these elected positions from becoming careers. We do need people elected that are intelligent and capable of compromise to prevent grid lock. Those elected should remember that they are employees of the American people and not big business.
    For those that don't vote don't complain.

May 19, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  81. Dick Crabtree

The United States of America.

What I want and expect.

I am sick of Politics – I want Government

I am sick of Robber Barons – I want Business Leaders.

I am sick of the Lying Media – I want Honest, Relevant News Reporting.

May 19, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  82. Daniel Jordan

Who runs this country? The lobbyists who line the politicians pockets and fill their election coffers. You can't take money from special interests and not do their bidding, because if you don't, they will make sure someone is elected who will. I want our elected officials to work for us!

May 19, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  83. Dan

I was glad to see good ole boy Spector voted out of office. He ignored his PA constiuents by jumping ship after his people voted him in on the Republican ticket. He got FIRED. Way to go PA, let's do more of the same in other states.

May 19, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  84. Tony Segura

Tony I listen to your show daily, GOOD JOB. I am a Mexican American 72 years old and live in the Kansas City subburbs. A couple of years ago when the first round of (send the Mexicans back to Mexico)
    I was stopped one block away from our home by two motorcycle policemen where the wife and I have lived since 1987. One policeman
    came to my pick up window to question me while the second policeman
    stood about seven foot away with a 45 caliber automatic weapon pointing at me. The barrel opening looked like that of a cannon.
    I pointed at our house and said that is where I lived, next to a retired policeman. Had I been white would a gun been necessary to question a General Motors retiree who has no police record of any kind other than being a Mexican looking man.

May 19, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  85. ROBO Brain

The world is changing and our technology is playing a big part. How can we have Immigration laws the way we have them today and then have an Internet that allows international profit and reachings world wide. Our world is getting more and more integrated and I personally feel its time to "ABOLISH IMMIGRATION" World wide. Don't get me wrong we still need a tracking process but we should simply allow anybody anywhere to travel in the world as long as they follow the laws of the place they are in. Times have changed and so should we "ONE WORLD FOR ALL"

May 19, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  86. Sheena

I want this anti american present government out of office NOW

May 20, 2010 at 10:29 am |