Today on CNN Newsroom

May 23rd, 2010

Bad Economy Drives Moms to Work Phone Sex

Many people who lost their jobs in the recession have chosen to work from home to make extra money.  Among the more unusual jobs out there are "phone actors."  What does that mean?  In two words... "phone sex."  Believe it or not, a lot of stay-at-home moms are using their voices and telephones to help make ends meet as the folks at Staffcentrix are finding.  The company helps people find work-from-home jobs.  Its CEO spoke with CNN"s Don Lemon.  Christine Durst is also the author of "Work from Home Now."

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. Barbara Johnson

Prostitution and its 'spin-offs' have been a part of life for eons. People who have either been abused or just plain don't care...use these as excuses for earning a living. This is self destructive behavior and 'the recession' is only another excuse...

Barbara

May 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  2. VC

They are more ethical than those working on wall street.

May 23, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  3. Funto

This to me is scary, for the society in general, and the phone actors in particular. By the time the positions are all filled up, with some of the phone actors unable to get these jobs, won't they opt for 'the real thing' and invite you over instead? I pray the economy picks up and people can resume respectable means of livelihood.

May 24, 2010 at 12:08 am |
  4. masloob

Why people trying to give the modern prostitution an humane face?
    Someone has to draw a line and not think to be politically correct all the time especially if it is morality. If it is terrorism call it terrorism if it is prostitution call it what it is. Don't blame the economy. You always look for the jobs profile that fit your personality. These mom if they are honest and if they are thinking what they are doing is good they should do it in front of their children and husband. Please don't call it a job for God's sake, otherwise we would be European style democracy and next step would be to open prostitution center to collect revenue from it.

May 24, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  5. Michael in Phoenix

Like most women I have known they have spent more then they have and now they are falling back on the only thing they have, SEX. If they were younger and not mommies they would be dancing on a pole.

Remember in the first great depression half of all young women were prostitutes. If there was such a thing as phone sex the other half would have been employed.

May 24, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  6. Heather

I am a PSO and a single mom. I can put food on the table by working while they are at school and late at night and still be at every soccer game. No one on the other end knows who I really am. Reputable employers in this industry go to great lengths to ensure that, safety and security is a priority and the callers understand that it is not a dating service. Someone is going to take their money, why shouldn't it go to good use raising my wonderful children?

May 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  7. Stacey

I own a phone sex company and it's FAR from prostitution, I have never met a client, and my phone sex operators are prohibited to meet clients and will and are fired if I find out they do, which I usually find out. In fact, I fired someone recently due to that.

It is totally reputable, legal and safe. In regards to guys being scammed. I will give you my tips, there are plenty of companies that will scam you, make sure you ask about hidden charges and connection fees when you call to talk to a girl, and listen carefully to recorded messages.

Good luck, be safe, if you want to have actual sex, you call an escort, not a phone sex operator. :)

May 24, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  8. maze1gerald

It is easy for one to judge others because you have a job,just hope you don't lose yours.

May 24, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  9. erick

What I think of this phone sex operators is wrong and its not ran by goverment.if this where moms are going to make money the goverment should find out who is doing and have them pay a fee for the cost I think phone sex operators are wrong and that and mothers these days are just too lazy to go find a real job just pathetic wat re u kids gonna say when thry get older mommy where u work or when they get older or there friends call that number the government should step in and ban phone sex on my opinion

May 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 19,706 other followers