Today on CNN Newsroom

June 15th, 2010

President Obama Visits Gulf: What Do You Think?

President Obama is visiting the Florida Panhandle today. It's his fourth visit to the region since oil started gushing from a ruptured deepwater well in April. He is making comments at the Pensacola Naval Air Station in the 11am ET hour before heading back to Washington to address the nation tonight. Listen to what he has to say and share your thoughts about how President Obama has been handling the Gulf oil disaster. We'll read some of them on the air between 11am ET and 1pm ET.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Tony Harris
  1. Chris Noland

I really think that our Goverment (President Obama) should be getting alot tuffer on BP. It really shouldn't have taken this long for the President to get involved. I voted for this man, but now I can see that was a real major mistake. He need's to take control on this oil spill. The effect's of this is going to hurt up to million's of people and there job's possibly. Just what we need at this time.

June 15, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  2. Butch from Southgate

I believe that allowing BP to drill in deep water, without proper precaution is clearly the result of a corrupt federal agency allowing big oil to do pretty much what it wants. I believe that makes the federal goverment part of the problem, not part of the cure. Anything he does from this point forward is useless until he cleans up and jails, those responsible in the government, for allowing big oil to drill without the proper safeguards. This is a crime ....

June 15, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  3. Michael Armstrong Sr.

I think he trust B.P. to much and should not count on money thats not in Americas pockets yet he should pay for whatever it takes to keep things from getting any worst and send B.P. the bill or else deduct it from this imaginary money that has not bean collected yet and stop letting B.P. promote there stalling tactics mid July is not acceptable .

June 15, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  4. Sarah

visiting the gulf isn't putting money in the pockets of business men is it? Is it stopping the leak? No. Then what's the point? Don't go down there unless you have the solution to the leak, and compensation for those losing money daily in the gulf.

June 15, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  5. rita`

Most of what goes on in this world is accomplished behind closed doors, by so few. The gulf catastrophe has gone on so long, seemingly so unnecessarily - has it occurred to anyone that BP is allowing this to continue as a long-range goal/plan! (And don't snicker over the idea.)

June 15, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  6. PJ Payne

Hi Tony
    I think it is important for Obama to continue to visit the Gulf, if nothing more than to keep BP on their toes. When Obama is there BP behaves in a more appropriate manner. I think unannounced visits would be more effective than announced visits.

June 15, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  7. Jessica Squires

I am glad that President Obama cotiues to visit the gulf. He is interested in the cleanup and is making sure things are going well. I believe that with the government system we have there isn't a lot he can do. There is so much call for government action now that something has gone wrong. I bet most of these people cried "socialist" in the past...

June 15, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  8. Alex

Some have said that it has taken too long for the President to become involved. it is my belief that if the correct response system was in place that the president would not have to become involved as he is now. This does not mean that the office should not have been cognizant. It was the belief of many, inside and outside of the government, inside and outside of the general population, that safety measures were in place. There was an agency in place which was there to oversee this. It seems that the agency was corrupted. Who knew, including the President along with Congress and the Senate 'watchdog' units. In effect, Big Oil has duped the US because of apathy, a very prevalent ailment of this country. I think it is about time we all pull together and begin to make a sincere effort to make this a bi-partisan effort and move forward, TOGETHER.

On TOGETHER: Today as I was listening to the opening statements of Congressional representatives at the hearing which will direct its attention to all of the big oil chiefs, I was appalled to see that several of the Republican members just had to make their anti Democratic statements against the administration instead of keeping focused on the issues. There, in front of the heads of these oil chiefs. I am sad to say that this sickens me just as the constant pictures of the oil gushing out of that well in the Gulf.

June 15, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  9. Jeryl D

It's the government's job to protect its populace in war and in situations like these. That's Constitutional. It is not the government's job to tell us how to live our lives and control our lives. It seems Obama wants to control us, but doesn't want to crack down on his big business buddies. BP, by the way, helped to write the upcoming Cap & Trade Bill. Anyone who thinks that's a good idea needs to look at what's going on in the gulf. Maybe BP is planning on cashing in on the results of the Cap & Trade Bill.

June 15, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  10. LDBean

Until BP CEO and Executives are charged with Criminal Negligent Homicide in the deaths of the 11 men that died, everything he does is for politics and not real. He cares as much as any politician can. He has not divorced himself from oil or his stance would be different.

The residence of oil producing areas suffering are demanding the drilling moritorium be lifted. They are placing greed before safety – as far as I am concerned, then they have chosen their beds and lets leave them to it.

When the WH and the Senate together with Congress address this with as much gusto as they did to protect their wallets in bailing out Wall Street, the issue will be resolved. Until then it's all political.

June 15, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  11. Karin

I think the handling of the cleaning of the birds (actually, the lack thereof) is symbolic of this entire situation. Mr. President, I voted for you and I am very disappointed in how you have handled this crisis. Americans cannot even go out and clean the wildlife. It is our wildlife. Who is stopping this process? BP? Every website that I go to in search of volunteer opportunities related to cleaning the birds leads me to BP. Who is in charge here? BP? Is whatever good for BP good for America?

Mr. President, please take charge of this situation. Take back America.

June 15, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  12. Lynn Esty

It's all great and good that the President is going to visit a 'pristine' beach, 'waiting' for the oil to come. Why is he not going to a beach that is already slicked with oil and see what little is being done (in some places) to do any clean up?

June 15, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  13. walter

This administration is as much a problem with this disaster as the disaster itself. There were many people and companies that offered assistance and this administration made one excuse after another not to use them. Totally unacceptable. 57 days and counting!

June 15, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  14. Faith E. Gagne

President Obama is a compassionate and sensitive man and I know that he feels the pain or the people because of this oil spill. I am sure that this disaster hurts him as well. I know that people are heartbroken, angry and distraught, but they need to support our President. I believe he is doing all he can to resolve this disaster, but he is not God. NO ONE KNEW HOW TO REACT TO THIS DISASTER, INCLUDING THE PEOPLE WHO CREATED IT, SO DON'T BLAME THE PRESIDENT.

President Obama needs our prayers. He is rallying behind the people and the people need to rally behind him. He needs the support of the people.

God Bless the people of the United States of America and God Bless our President Barack Obama.

June 15, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  15. barbara

I live in Gulf Breeze, Fl. I believe there has not been enough investigation of the job BP is doing with this oil clean up. I volunteer for a private group that was formed by Gulf Breeze a Coastal Watch. These people go out on their on time to check where the oil has been sighted. These volunteers then call in to the police/fire department to the dispatch officer, who then relay this information to the BP people in the area. I do not feel that BP is responding to these reports. I saw oil blobs in the tidal flow. BP did not respond to the police/fire department in any way. This oil is now on the beach. I believe that could have been prevented from happening if only BP had paid attention to these people that want to save their beaches and their homes. Who else could be more dedicated to this clean up that the people that live, work and play in these beaches. Thank you for your time, Barbara

June 15, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  16. Matthew

Hi, I've heard a lot on the new about how people think the president isn't doing anything. In my personal opinion, the president, Barrack Obama, is an extremely busy man. Im positive he wouldn't just sit back and watch this happen, he is doing everything that he can do.

June 15, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  17. randy

what about the hole ? no more talk of plunging it. look you dont have to have a business on the gulf or any economic reason to suffer a viable loss when your ocean is polluted every person on the planet has a right to be compensated and those responsible nee to be imprisoned.

June 15, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  18. randy

PLUG THE HOLE should be the priority.PLUG THE HOLE. and stop the dispersant all they do is make it impossible to ever get the oil out. although diluted its still there. ask any microbiologist i truly believe that the only reason they use it is so they wont have to clean it up out of sight out of mind..

June 15, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  19. margaret trask

The federal government needs to stop relying on bp- yake it over PUT GENERAL HONORE IN CHARGE OF GULF OIL RESONSE and use all branched of government to attack this WAR Before Out whole ecosystem and ruin of marshes beaches way of life is extinct and poisonous for deaces to come- General honore Needs to take over NOW!!!!!!!!!!

June 15, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  20. jeff fritz

hello tony my name is jeff. i drew an idea i had to stop the oil leak in the gulf i have contacted bps line to give ideas and had no response i have called army dept of engineers with no response and several tv news stations i cannot seem to get any response from anyone i hope to hear back from you this device is simple in design and only needs the oil drill and submersible to attach thank you jeff is there a place i can send an attachment with pics of my device i have drawings ready for you to see

June 15, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  21. Tom Richards

I think that the president's time would be better spent kick butt behind closed doors rather than catering to the media's need for "boots on the ground" stories

June 15, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  22. Adam Mos

I just wanted to say that I work for an air service . We were preparing to head down to LA under a contract from the govt. to bring 2 sea planes to help with the cleanup. The plan was to head out last thursday, then the govt. said wait for a few more days, then we learned monday morning that they didnt need them any more because the govt. was taking care of it themselves.

I am starting to get frustrated with this administration (even though I voted for them) and I think with this disaster and they way our economy is, it could actually help with both. The govt. needs to employ more civilians, which in turn could boost the economy as well as get this mess cleaned up.

June 15, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  23. C.M.Bartlett

Dear Toni,
    It’s incredible how the American people just sit by and spend so much of their time watching
    and listening to the BICKERING about the President and his role in this ecological crisis which
    was caused by BP .
    Where is the ACTION of the the PEOPLE? when a tragedy like this happens you would hope that we ALL would rally and get together as a PEOPLE and lend a hand to solve the problems.
    My questions:
    1) Where are the “live aid concerts” IN SUPPORT of the victims of this disaster?
    2) Why are so many people canceling their vacations to Florida and to places that have not been affected by this oil disaster? They are only hurting those that need their support most… they are not hurting the president or BP
    3) Why doesn’t BP allow all those who have submitted thousands of ideas to clear the oil a chance to demonstrate their proposed solutions on the oil spill in the OPEN SEA instead of in a little tub in the TV Studio? Tag an award to the best solution and go from there? If all the thousands of Ideas work the oil spill will instantly disappear and not reach the coastal shores.

Just an idea!!!

C.M.Bartlett
    Florida

June 15, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  24. Albert Neal

To a certain extent I feel that the president is the victim of a 'BUM RAP'.
    i see this disaster in the same light as the Hurricane several years ago. Both events are of such magnitude there has to be a lot of time expended to mobilize for such huge disasters. You just don;t flip a switch and sit back and watch the good times roll. Takes a huge amount of organization and supply build-up before necessary assistance can take place. Think he is working at it as hard as he can. Just think of all the headaches he is forced to deal with now.

ADN

June 15, 2010 at 11:30 am |
  25. LDBean

I fail to understand why no one has arrested any BP responsible party for the negligent homicide of the 11 men that needlessly died. Why hasn't even one executive been arrested for Cruelty to Animals? The mammals of the Gulf qualify as animals?

I'll know President Obama is serious if he arrests the entire BP Executive staff and charge them appropriately. Keep them imprisoned until the spill and it's resultant damages are resolved by the company. Short of that everything is placation until the politicians can adequately protect their stock investments in BP.

You said your telephone number too fast for me to get – i'm old and half blind, so i searched for you on the web. I listen to you everyday and shamefaced to admit i didn't know your name. Your care can be heard in your voice. If i were in trouble anywhere on this planet, i'd be reassured by the care expressed in your voice when you investigate.

June 15, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  26. skylar

Honestly there isn't too much the president could do. Except reassure us the problem would be fixed, which he's doing a good job of. When ever there's a disater such as this one, the public/media needs someone to point their finger at. And right now they're right behind obama pointing directly at BP. So the president's appearence in the gulf is pretty much meaningless. What goes through his mind when/if he's down there at the shore?? "Wow, it's really gotten worse since the last time i was here."

June 15, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  27. Manny

OK. What do you expect the President to do about the spill. Stand there and cry? Get mad and stomp up and down? I would rather have a leader who can remain calm under stress and pressure, calm in a crisis, and go about doing things without using emotion as a driver to make decisions. This is a crisis never seen before, I didn't think that President Obama was a Moses or God who can wave his hand and fix it. Stop criticizing him for doing his job or not being a big baby and having a tantrum. Be proud, stand with him and be an American for once.

June 15, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  28. Martha

About the Pres and BP. If you took a better poll and separated the issues, I think you would find we have more of a problem with Obama's handling of the cleanup--not so much with stopping the spill. I think most people realize we can't do anything about plugging the hole faster....we don't want them to screw up again under time pressure.
    BUT, Obama's handling of the cleanup has been atrocious and totally lacking in foresight. Ret. Gen Honore spoke with exactly the right tone last night on AC360. He said what I've been wanting to hear from the first day. It IS the 3rd World War!!

Another thing.......using dispersant MUST be stopped!! It is deceitful and causing more catastrophic damage down below.

Martha Macy
    Vermont

June 15, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  29. Dawn Edwards

BP should be required to put $20 billion in an escrow account to pay for the next several years of cleanup and destruction of tourism and fishing economies along the gulf coast. But lets not forget, these wells are leased to BP by the federal government who keeps the tax dollars from the oil drilled in the gulf. Louisiana gets no tax revenue from these dangerous wells, yet we have to suffer the environmental and economic consequences. Give us our land back. Get out of the local and state government's way from making progress on the cleanup.

June 15, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  30. Timmie Jackson

Setting up a fund of $20 Billion a year from BP is not enough to pay for the damage to the Gulf of Mexico and people who lives are affected. $200 Billion is more like it!!!

June 15, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  31. Angela

I personally have been shocked at the President's rhetoric with regard to BP. This new information re internal e-mails within BP is disturbing if they are true. However, the fact remains that BP is operating hundreds if not thousands of wells all over the world, and one would think, with the dangerous nature of oil drilling, they would take the precautions necessary.
    We still do not know if there was human error or mechanical failure that caused the explosion, or whether the riser pipe broke when the rig sank. Until we have that information, I think we should all pause for thought.
    Bringing BP down like this helps noone. They need the money for the clean up, they need to keep their shareholders, they need to pay their shareholders the dividends they promised, many of whom are retirees in England and America, and they need for the shares to hold their value for all the pension funds that are invested with them.
    I am sure the oil industry could do better with its safety record, but as my husband says, who was a salesman visiting rigs and refineries, it is a dangerous business. I am sure the other oil companies are watching with notebooks at the ready to see how this leak is fixed, and I am sure the mode of operation of these rigs has been the same for many of them.

June 15, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  32. skylar

Also i keep hearing on how Hillary wouldn't have tolerated this; or this administration isn't doing enough. What do people expect hillary to do differently? As president she wouldn't have had more power than the current president. The only thing she would've done differently is say more reassuring words and make more meaningless visits to the coast. It's not like she can go to the bottom of the gulf and fix the problem herself. Unless she's secretly wonder woman. But she's not. Its not like she would've came up with come sort of team to fix the problem, Obama would've done that if that were the case. But he's not superman neither. It doesn't matter who's the president, people need to understand the president has VERY LIMITED power. he cant do everything everyone wishes he could. If he could we'd be out of afghan, there would be no more oil and no energy crisis. and not to mention a perfect healthcare plan. But he's just another puppet being told what he can and cant do.

June 15, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  33. Keri

I was born and raised in Pensacola. In fact, I am sitting in my childhood home looking out on Bayou Grande that seperates my neighborhood from NAS Pensacola. I speak for many people that I know when I say that we are absolutely devastated and angry. My child, our children, will never have the same way of life along the Gulf Coast. Many people here say that the water is NOT safe; I agree. Our communities are beginning to suffer even more in this tough economy in the wake of this disaster. Stop the flood of oil! Clean up the mess! There are no excuses! Everyone responsible should pay and be held accountable.

June 15, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  34. Al

I want President Obama to ask all oil companies to show how they are cooperating on the Gulf spill. Aren't they all responsible? BP has responded poorly but it could (and probably will) be any of the other companies...

June 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  35. Joanne

This is probably not the proper forum, but I JUST HAVE TO SAY THIS!
    I think the president was right when he said something to the effect; "The press is far more critical of the job the government is doing, than the puplic is". In all the interviewing the press does of people on the gulf affected by the oil spill, why is it you only show us the negative remarks? Can it be that every last person you talk to has nothing good to say? I doubt it.
    When CNN says "We're keeping them honest", I have to laugh. I want to know who's keeping the press honest? Has anyone done a poll of how people view the job the press is doing?

June 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  36. Richard

I don't see what the big deal is about the President meeting with the CEO of BP. I think if 3,000 people complain about something, you make a big deal out of in (in the media). His meeting with them would not have hastened anything with regard to stopping the leak. He is doing the responsible thing now (about an escrow account for reparations), because BP didn't think of it on their own. These "3,000" are probably Tea Partiers or Republicans...like the viewer who this morning compared his willingness to meet with Ahmadinijad without a script or pre-agreed conditions vs doing nothing for 56 days w/re to BP. Do you folks in the media realize how much you are manipulated by fringe elements in society, because you are in search of a story to fill the airwaves? Disgusting!!! Simply shameful. And we have to listen to endless days of this crap. Sorry, but that is sincerely how a feel. Why can't you present a story as "certain elements believe..." or "certain elements are pressing..." but my Gawd, it's not as tho 70 % of the population feels he has bumbled this BP thing. Yes, we're upset, but we're not fanatical. Also, while we are on the subject, the folks displaced by the harm to the tourism and fishing industries need reparations too, not just the business owners (of boats, restaurants and hotels) but all their employees. What's being done to take care of them - probably millions affected!!! Please give some coverage to this latter issue.
    thx. Enjoy your show. Richard in Costa Rica.

June 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  37. Maharold

It utterly amazes me that our country has placed our President under such a myopic microscope that every move he makes, including what, when and where he eats, is under such unprecedented scrutiny. President Obama's only mistake, in the case of this oil tragedy, was in not "posturing" in the way that Congress is doing now by "raking the oil executives across the coals"! The world loves a show! Let's be honest, shall we? No matter what President Obama does or doesn't do, there will be those "closet bigots" who will find fault in the first African American President of the United States. Not THAT"S a tragedy!

June 15, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  38. Maharold Peoples

June 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  39. Eleanor Hall

I am glad to see that Obama has said that this oil spill has been a wake-up call, that we need to get away from oil and move towards a green economy with other sources of energy.

In the last few years, the amount of deep drilling has increased because we are running out of the more accessible oil. Even if it weren't for the problem of global warming, we would have to transition away from oil because we are running out of it.

We'll have to get oil from deep drilling for several years because we don't have the clean energy available now - there needs to be a transition period to clean energy.

Obama needs to look at the broader picture, the role of deep drilling as a source of energy.

June 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  40. Ray Dunn

I think it is bull when they get 72 hours to come up with a better plan,and there plan turns out to be is to let the oil keep gushing out and bring more ships to scoop it off the top of the water,I think that well is going to keep gushing untill it gets cemented in,or gets a sealed pipe on it that brings it up to sea level,its not like the wells on the grownd this one has a mile worth of ocean pushing down on.

June 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  41. skylar

We wouldn't have this problem if money hungry goons like BP, weren't raping the earth. But they dont care, as long as they have all of the worlds money in their pocket. Of course they'll let a few hundred million ppl die from hunger and disease, as long as they have at least 100 billion in their wallets. this is what i dont understand about these people, they can care less about starving children and dying animals. they have enough money to die trying to spend it all, yet half of earths llife is being destroyed by the very people whom inhabit it. BUT... they have a choice. Do they keep being the money hungry, earth raping goons that they are, or do they help the starving and the diseased and kill the planet even faster from overpopulation? well we're already at the overpopulated point, raping the earth of 120% of its natural resouces. Within 20 years we'll need another earth to rape. not to mention more people needing more and more oil. BUT... they know that there is a better way to live, safer energy to use in ordder to survive. WOULD SOMEONE TELL THEM TO USE THE HIGLY ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY THEY'VE HAD FOR YEARS!! JUST DO THE RESEARCH PEOPLE THERE ARE BETTER WAYS OF SURVIVING. FASTER AND SAFER WAYS OF TRAVELING. BUT OH YEA. THEY WONT!! WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO HELP US POPULATE THE PLANET EVEN MORE THEN WE ARE NOW????

June 15, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  42. PA

President Obama has made every effort available to secure the oil situation. We are in virgin territory here, he is not a scientist. If the best engineering and science minds in this country, not to mention the world, can't figure out how to stop the leak, why do so many think he has the immediate answer.

He has stated the 'accountability' of solving the problem is his.

I empathize with all the Industries affected, being a mortgage broker in Pensacola, FL I am affected also. We all are. I think we have to be realistic here, this is another type of war zone, it takes assessment, knowledge, and manpower to handle it. He is on a learning curve on this as we all are.
    I would like the major critics to step forward and fix it if they think they have the answer. Since that has not happened, I trust they know less. It's time to be supportative and proactive as a nation.

June 15, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  43. John

At the very outset, the President clearly understood the importance of BP remaining profitable. It would become a nightmare scenario, if BP filed for Bankruptcy. We should support our President for continuing to overcome obstacles of unexplored territories. We are forcing him to become more political because we want to see theatrics.

June 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  44. Richard

Most of the people that complain are the self righteous conservatives
    HYPOCRITES, with skeletons in their on closets.
    They never say anything GOOD about the PRESIDENT. Always complaining.
    nothing he does is good.IF YOU WANT TO GET WEAKENED CALL
    ON THOSE CONSERVATIVE HYPOCRITES. THEY SMILE IN YOUR
    FACE BUT WILL STICK A DAGGER IN YOUR BACK!!!!!!!!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  45. William Clark

It seems to me that BP isn't really trying to stop the oil from flowing. What do you think they are doing with all that oil they are capturing. Of course.. They're selling it. 80,000 barrels a day at today's prices? Wow, how dumb can we be? they are using 'slide of hand tactics', trying to make us believe that they are doing their best to stop the leak, whereas, in reality they are dragging their feet inorder to find a way to continue operating. This is a very productive well that has the potential of many more years of profit at our expense.

June 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  46. J Peters

Come on, Ali!! I like your show better than most on CNN, but you and Ed Henry just did us all a disservice. Report fully!! Mr. Henry just said people in Pensacola are very critical of the Pres. There is a lot to criticize the govt. about, but nobody in the FL Panhandle voted for Obama in the first place. It is one of the most conservative areas of the country. So, of course, they are critical now. Report it all.......that is what a news channel of about. Educating us..........

June 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
  47. Maria

Obama is looking more like a claims-adjustor clerk than a president, telling Mississippians that "we're gathering up facts and stories to take back to BP to make sure people are dealt with in a fair manner." Doesn't he know that BP has the worst record of criminality, negligent homicide and environmental crimes of any oil conglomerate – ever in history? It is time that the US government seize the assets of this criminal cartel in order to stop the gushing of something between 100,000 to 500,000 barrels of oil spewing into the gulf each day and administer the clean up. That's what you do with criminal enterprises that hurt the United States and it's people. What if we find that BP acted to willfully sabotage the United States? Willful or not, we deserve a REAL commander-in-chief to protect us.

June 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  48. John

One of the main reasons we think the president was not responsive is because his immediate involvement was not transparent. We are not aware of his initial course of action. He had to determine what was true.
    He had to assess the facts. He bought a lot of scientists, engineers and scholars together to help resolve this nightmare. He also had to deal with opposition focused on political gain at the expense of bipartisan brainstorming. Lets not forget the term "To Big To Fail". No one understands the long term economical or ecological impact. The president clearly understands that this a disaster that will "change"
    the way we prepare for underwater drilling.

June 15, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  49. John

He had to assess the facts. He bought a lot of scientists, engineers and scholars together to help resolve this nightmare. He also had to deal with opposition focused on political gain at the expense of bipartisan brainstorming. Lets not forget the term "To Big To Fail". No one understands the long term economical or ecological impact. The president clearly understands that this is a disaster that will "change"
    the way we prepare for underwater drilling.

June 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  50. Carl

If you voted Republican you got what you deserved with this BP mess. Republicans are complicit for these crimes because they took millions in oil money to look the other way and let the oil industry run completely unregulated. Cheney and Bush let them get away with having to use the same safe guards that other countries mandate and use to prevent spills. So when you talk about the corruption of the big greedy BP corporation don't forget the Republicans that were complicit in your rape.

June 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  51. Tarball

I beleive by this Administration not taking control will and does give Obama more justification to pass the Cap & Tax Bill. Like Rahm said "Never Let A good Crisis Go To Waste".

June 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  52. Rob

I see your moderator only posts left wing posts. This is one reason CNN's rating are in the tank. Your lose! Keep reporting the left view, that'll be the downfall and failure of CNN. Have a great day.

June 15, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
  53. Timmie

We luv President Obama, he'll fix this oil leak.

June 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm |
  54. deepwater don

Don't forget the guilt and aquiescence of Halliburton and Transoecean. They are American "big" business companies.

June 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  55. Joe Gautier

Where are the bio-remediation experts?!! I know of three companies that can remove the oil and restore the marshes in 20 days. They have these yahoos trampling over delicate marsh grasses and killing bird eggs like rhinos in heat. Anderson Cooper has not heard from one expert in the field. Kevin Costmer is the "expert" we're consulting? Maybe Paris Hilton can consult with Obama on Afghanistan after this!

June 15, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  56. Patty Pinkernell

Don't spend too much time on a distraction CNN. It could come back to bite you on your a__. The problem with BP is devastating and another problem to add to our President's plate. (As if he hasn't had enough). We have American soldiers still at war. Please don't forget. I know our President hasn't.

June 16, 2010 at 12:42 am |
  57. Rick B. D.

Sarah: you hit the nail on the head,do not go there unless you have a solution to the leak, and compensation for those losing money daily in the gulf.
    Randy: PLUG THE HOLE should be the priority.You are so correct.
    I can not believe that I have the tools, equipment and technology to plug the hole and stop the leak in the gulf.I have been trying for eight days and had no response from CNN and the US government, to give more details on how the leak can be stopped in a few days.
    Rick B.D.

June 16, 2010 at 2:36 am |
  58. Mamaknows

The various companies that own the rig are responsible for the tragic deaths and explosion. By ignoring the plans and pleas of various governors and the qualified and available assistance offered by our own citizens and 16 other countries the Federal Govt is responsible for the ecological and financial havoc ignoring the solutions has created. The President's speech greased the skids to push us toward the devastation of cap and trade, nothing more, while the oil gushes on. And he is so busy playing golf he can offer BP only 20 minutes!!!! What an insult to the country and BP. His visits to the area yield unimpressive results and tie up traffic. A resident said there was no warning which roads would be closed, again, no organization. Can this administration get anything right?

June 16, 2010 at 8:14 am |
  59. michael

james Carville,
    Good day – greatly admire your fortitude and honesty – please get us out of this bog of deception – thanks.
    First and foremost focus collection prior/current oil spilled/spilling.
    1) stop dispersant allowing oil to surface.(link 1)
    2) start tankers to collect in proximity of well – where are they?
    Warning: As you may concur – We do not have time to wait for relief wells in August ( may be more like November and may not work) by that time the Gulf will be a dead sea, Florida beaches and Everglades will be black (more like orange goo), oil/dispersant mix headed north to wipe out east coast killing all life in it's path. There will be stench of rotting animal life and toxic air which will promote respiratory disease and cancer. When there is a hurricane it will "paint" the inland with slime and goo which will then be unlivable – We most stop those responsible for exacerbating this unmitigated global disaster NOW . God help us – amen .
    1) – SLN – Replace "riser pipe" (6) hex bolts to a mating flange at the top of the BOP, with new riser and flange (link 2) making a leak-less seal to the surface collection operation.
    2) – OCR – install newley designed Oil Containment Rings.
    3) – Seal Well Now (SWN) – drill +1000' parallel proximity shaft – place proper amount of explosives – seal new shaft – detonate ! Michael Gruters –

June 16, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  60. dylan

fund of 20 billions, It's just for the clean up,of this disaster after 58 days. But, I am not really sure of this strategy. What's about the jobs, and the workers innocent, who lost their life in this tragedy in the Gulf of Mexico . My god just one excuse for this people, It's not enough .

June 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
  61. Lynda in okla.

She was breaking the law, he did what he had to do . they both were out of control

June 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
  62. say the truth

I am a question for you.
    Who is the president here in US. It's not the Gop leader.
    you focus on comment of Rep Barton Who talk of protect, Americans people against this disaster in the Gulf, rather of sit down with of big oil compagny. Now It's the people in New Orleans who pay again. Katrina........ Bush...........is over . Give me the peace. Mr Obama , go out and work for Americans people, who needs of jobs and the clean up the Gulf now. It's not about of $ 20 billions " shakedown" you talk now, thank you for your distraction towards Americans people.

June 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm |