Today on CNN Newsroom

July 6th, 2010

Bite marks the new hickey?

From CNN Intern Emily Landrieu:

So we are all familiar with the world wide Twilight phenomenon. It has spawned a complete obsession with all things vampire, from make up to clothing and even to biting. That’s right, biting. Since vampire mania took hold of the world a few years back, teens throughout the country have been showing affection through biting each other. Now with the third Twilight in theaters, True Blood back on the small screen and a slew of others in circulation – the trend in resurfacing. High schoolers say it’s a way to show someone you care about them and that you are chosen- just like in the movies. Bite marks have now even started to be a status symbol. Teens are sporting these bites and their arms, necks, and even faces.

What do you think about this trend? Is it a odd way to show someone you care?

Filed under: Anchors • CNN Newsroom • Kyra Phillips • What the...?
  1. kely

Bite marks are hot

July 6, 2010 at 7:02 am |
  2. Michael Armstrong Sr.

O my sounds interesting for vampires but there are things that are best left unbitten .

July 6, 2010 at 8:07 am |
  3. Helter Siqueia

Let the kids bite each other, as long as they do not cause harm in the process.
    Better bitting than using drugs.

July 6, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  4. Elvis

This is just stupid, so now were acting out what we see in movies?

July 6, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  5. Hagan from Kentucky

I'm a 15 year old high school student from Kentucky. While there are a few people at our school that do things similar to what was depicted in the on air report, it is not nearly as prevalent as described. I've never seen anyone bitten on the cheek, and it's not considered cool to have bite marks all over you.

July 6, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  6. Tom Kahn

This is such a dangerous practice, with human bites being dirtier than dog bites. Wounds from human bites require antibiotics, possibly surgical cleaning, and even possibly amputation if their infections are bad enough. This is just asking for trouble.

July 6, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  7. Steve

It's sick and unsafe. Thank you again for Hollywood for dishing out trash that kids pick up on and consider the norm.

July 6, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  8. Camille Lane

That's completely ridiculous. I'm a huge fan of the twilight series and that is just gross and weird. No one should bite anyone else.

July 6, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  9. Paige

I think it's gross and ridiculous that anyone would want to bite someone to showsomeone you care about them. hickeys are bad enough, looks trashy.

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  10. Nathalie

Bite marks are not hot. Has anyone thought about the diseases from transfer from blood. That is insane!

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  11. precious

I think it crazy, how would a person bite to show affection that is what in Nigeria we call blood oath which is like a bond. It is not good at all. Parents should be aware and advice there kids.

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  12. Gen

It is a super odd way to show someone you care. I'm 18 and not ONCE have i accepted hickeys because they look trashy, and are SUPER pointless!

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  13. Fraz-man

If my teenaged daughter ( no kids yet) ever came home with one of those, some kid would be in jail for aggravated assault the next day! Kama Sutra bites are for adults of consenting age, not pre-pubescent glitter vamp wannabes!

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  14. Alex W.

Honestly, I think this just another one of those "Twilight" obsessions. Once one person does it, the meanings are inferred differently and then taken into the person's own perspective and they create a reason for it.

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  15. Jim Donovan

Biting is incredibly dangerous. The human mouth is one of the most bacterial laden organs. This stupid act is potentially fatal. What is wrong with these idiot kids?

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  16. Mary Jacob

I think this is a disgusting way to show affection, not to mention very unsanitary. Do they realize that the human mouth is one of the dirtiest parts on the human body? It is like cutting open your skin with an infected knife. I'm a fan of Twilight but kids need to realize how to separate reality and fantasy. I much prefer kissing.

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  17. Tori

Biting people to show affection? How obsessed could teens get? I am in fact a teen myself and yes I love any of the Twilight Saga movies but I'm not so obsessed with it that I try to act like a Vampire or a Werewolf. People are becoming crazed with this kinda stuff and thinking that if they bite each other that maybe they'll become a vampire. It's crazy. It's just obsession, and teens can't stay away.

July 6, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  18. Carmilee

This whole "Bite Mark" thing that is going on, is very stupid. I personally don't have children, but I have a younger brother. If he came home with bite marks on his body, I'd be highly pissed off! This is just ridiculous and it is not cute.

July 6, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  19. Teju Peesay

Wow this is twilight obsession taken to a whole new level. Honestly i think this is just CREEPY and this ridiculous trend and will pass once people get over Twilight Fever! Hopefully the trend doesnt pass onto my high school!

July 6, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  20. Joe M

What ever happened to just talking with each other?

July 6, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  21. Conan M

This new fad is unbelievable. I'm only 24 years old and I am just amazed at what teenagers will mimic from movies & TV. Anything that we did even just 5-10 years ago would never risk transferring any kind of disease. I just do not understand it. How hard is it to understand that you are NOT a vampire, nor will you become one if you bite someone else or if you get bitten? I wish these teens would seriously take a second to actually THINK about what they are doing...

July 6, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  22. Katherine

I go to high school in AL and not once have I ever heard of anyone thinking it was 'cool' to bite their BF/GF. I guarrentee you though if anyone was to start that up, it would definatly not be a major trend with the school population.

July 6, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  23. ron rawhoof

With the past scares of the spread of diseases like h1n1 and mrsa, why aren't we doing a better job of educating the young and "impressionable" on how things like this spread?

July 6, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  24. Turray bynum

Biting of any kind is harmful

July 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  25. Amanda

Kyra, I actually had to turn away from my television when those clips of the kids biting each other came up! A hickey is one thing but these kids are breaking flesh! Ewwww!

Haven't they heard of AIDS? Totally unsafe and ridiculous! Don't they have minds of their own to know enough not to ape what pretend-vampires do on the screen? Jeez!

July 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  26. Bob Obowey

What today's kids up to. I remember back in the day, my teacher, Mr Jack Martling always hit us with his ruler, on our hands. Often we had bruises, but back then none of that would matter. Today, a little friendly bite mark is the reason for a report on CNN.
    Bye for now!

July 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  27. Deanna

That is so stupid!

July 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  28. Arganthonios

I hope that I don't offend anyone by saying this, but this biting fad is one of the most stupid things that I have ever heard. The human mouth is actually home to quite a community of bacteria that can be dangerous to open wounds. The same bacteria that causes strep throat is also known as the "flesh-eating" bacteria and it is a very difficult infection to fight. Scarring is another risk with this practice. Even simple infections that can be fought off with topical products can enlarge the scars from the bite wounds. These kids are acting like fools. It's gross, unsanitary, and dangerous.

July 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  29. Anthony

During my high school year, I would commit the same actions, and that was before Twilight became popular. Bite marks are hot as that person said above. ;)

July 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  30. meghan

Cannibalism = Care? Call me old fashioned but a hug is just fine...

July 6, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  31. Casey

Ok so I myself am a Twilight fan but the idea of wanting people to bite you? I just think that is sick. I would never want to walk around school with bite marks on my arms, or look at anyone elses. This will be found mor and more places so please, stop the bitting!

July 6, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  32. Meg B

I am 15 and home from school, Dad called me in to show me the new phenomenon of teenage biting and how it has become a new way to display affection. My reaction to this is why? How is harming ones self considered affectionate. I will be honest I'm completely in love with the twilight saga but I would much rather receive flowers or maybe a stuffed animal rather than a bite from a crush.

July 6, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  33. Cole

Biting, really how old are they, 2? That is just dumb! We are not vampires, grow up.

July 6, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  34. tom

i think when young people see something on the big screen and mimic what they see,there is something wrong with that. the human mouth is not clean. dog bites are cleaner.

July 6, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  35. Greg, Ontario

What a laugh. First it's wearing your hat sideways and your pants so low you have to walk like a Penguin to keep them from falling down. Now they think bite marks are cool! What's next canniblism? I can't help but smile because it reminds me of my parents frowning at how tight my jeans were and saying how it might effect my ability to have children in the future. Every generation goes through some version of this stuff but at least we can laugh at these young people. I'd rather see them biting themselves and each other than doing Crack or Meth.

July 6, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  36. Ravid Chitolie

In my honest opinion, this "phenomenon" will last for some time and the biting will turn into an obsession (which it already is). Therefore, teachers and parents alike should really implement some form of restriction before this "obsession" blows out of proportion ( which consequently will happen if left untamed). Remember the Harry Potter craze? This is the new craze and should be closely monitored.

July 6, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  37. Zack

This is not a trend, it’s a fetish thing. Teens and Adults have been biting others for a sexual thrill since the start of time, and besides even if it was a trend it isn’t anything to worry about. What would you rather have? Your 13 year old lose there virginity, or be bitten?

July 6, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  38. Mike

This shouldn't really surprise us....as a High School Teacher for now over eight years....I "think" I've seen it all!!! Is biting such a big jump from cutting, huffing and all the other self destructive behaviors that we have in our schools and on our streets?
    Parents can't simply "hope" their children come home safe anymore. they might have to take a step down in pay and get involved in local schools (public and private). You have to wonder why our kids exhibit this behavior??? It's more than just a simple fad....in some cases it's a call for help. As a teacher I hope someone is listening!!!

July 6, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  39. Izzy

Just like every high school fad that revolves around pop culture, it hits everyone like a gradual wave. It's usually the vampire-obsessed kids that start it, and pretty soon, it's the cheerleaders that are doing it! Biting...pffff. Give me a break; what's next, poking people with syringes just because a tv show is all about medical trauma? Biting to belong? Haha. If thats is all what a relationship represents, to these teens a succumbing to a temporary Twilight obsession, then forget it. These relationships suck, and that is not a pun.

Cheers!

July 6, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  40. Talitha

I agree with you Carmilee. This is not cute at all. When I was in high school, I use to think that hickey was nasty. Who wants to bite someone else? I don't think that is sanitary. Everybody mouth is not clean!!

July 6, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  41. newyorker

I think that it is nothing more than a form of abuse that (some) young people are accepting as affection. I am a parent (of 7) and society has gone so low that it makes being a decent parent seem like a venom. There are, unfortunately, too many or more insane, bipolar suffering parents today than ever before. Far too many children are being programed (educated) by and through reality tv shows whose participants are products of abusive and/or non loving households. Bitting someone is painful and dangerous. There are too many germs inside of the mouth for people to be bitting others. Eventually, people will transmit bacteria or diseases from this act. Most importantly it's ABUSIVE.

July 6, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  42. Monique

I teach in Houston ISD and my students are 99% minority and most of the girls are mothers. My Hispanic students come to school with hickies resembling necklaces around their necks. It's disgusting for any students especially when they are reading more than 2 grades or more below where they should be. Where are the parents and why is school not as important. This is a sex generation and not an educated one. Displaying hickies and no kind of modesty crosses their minds.

July 6, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  43. Jaelin W.

I am a 13 year old go hard Twi hard fan and I think that this is ridiculously stupid! It's an embarrassment to us twilight fans out here that teens are actually BITING THEMSELVES, To show affection towards each other! This is totally not a way to represent this awesome phenomenon and, I am truly dissapointed!

July 6, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  44. Steve Gawczynski

Oh, the stupidity of youth. Don't they know just how dangerous this pracitice may be. The human mouth contains bacteria that can cause infection at the very least. The infected area may then become even more infected by other more serious bacteria. Loss of life is possible. All this for a "fad" of affection? Parents and school officials need to act on this fast!

July 6, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  45. Linda Stevens

I have several tattoos, but before I got them I checked out the parlor to make sure it was clean, the technique they used and if they used 1 time use needles. I am a RN and this trend of bitting scares me to death! When bitten the individual who is bitten likely bleeds. This exposes the bitter to blood and other fluids, thus exposing the bitter to blood born diseases, ie, AIDS, Hepatitis, etc. The bitten person is also exposed to blood and saliva from the bitters mouth. Again, exposing them to the same diseases including infection. If I were a parent of one of these kids, i'd be scared to death!

July 6, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  46. Patrick

When I was in school there was the eraser challange. How long could you take an eraser rubbed on your arm. It was stupid too. They'll get over it. You live, you learn.

July 6, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  47. Sarah

Yet another way for teens struggling with defining their identities to display their independance. It's much more acceptable in their peer circles to act out and be dramatic than it is to accept that most teen problems are not unique and to make decisions based on what goals and image they want to achieve after high school. The Twilight Saga capitalizes on the teen perception that now is the most important time of their lives. It's amazing that the fate of the world rests in the hands of TEEN vampires and warewolves. Even the actors in the movies can't seem to separate their personal lives from the teen angst and dark demeanor they depict in the movies. Glamorizing this behavior gives teens the illusion of a future as quasi successful actors instead of the more likely future of flipping burgers. I'd like to say that teens are smart enough to not be influenced by movies and are able to separate movie fantasy from reality, but this story about bite marks clearly shows they are not.

July 6, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  48. Jake

it is not Hollywoods fault that these stupid kids have begun biting eachother. they are just movies, I like vampires myself and think they are sexy but these movies are freaking retarded. who has ever heard of a vegetarian vampire??? sorry Stephanie, I know your religion made you take a different approach to the Vampire world and that was ok, but Movies are to much. what ever happend to the good old "Blade" series or the "Interview with the Vampire" now those are some movies.
    As for the kids, you all need to grow up and stop being freaking dumb, childish, and discusting....who is going to think that seeing how many times or how deep you are bitten is sexy? who even started this new trend. I have heard of many different trends in my time but this one is just ridiculous. BITING........Seriously, pick up a new hobby you sick, waste of film fanatics.

July 6, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  49. Sharon

Biting to show a sign of love????? Seriously!!!! Why would someone in their right mind want to put or be put into pain to show or feel love???? As a mother of 4 teenagers (15,16,17 & 18) I think the parents of these kids need to try and help or seek help for their children. It's not normal to want or need pain afflicted to them or to afflict it to others to see or feel love.

July 6, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  50. Chris

I am a graduated senior from Ohio. No where in my high school were there kids biting eachother to look cool. I'm glad that you made it clear that this is purly a problem in Texas. In no way should parents think this is an epidemic spreading across the country. Its just some stupid teenagers being stupid teenagers. There will always be a select few who over-do things to recieve attention, which is exactly how its working.

July 6, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  51. Lindsay

Biting?! I'm 18 (a teen like these kids) and know this is wrong. Since when is it okay to bite someone? I'm not saying these kids need punished..but I know when I was a kid and bit someone, I surley got got in trouble.

July 6, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  52. solomon aryee (worcester, MA)

What are we doing to reinforce love in our families?Do our kids really need to be bitten to be reassured of love. Let us teach and show our children well at home and in our communities so they may grow wholly and responsibly.

July 6, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  53. Yesenia

Bite marks from vampires are hot..I love the whole scenario in movies ONLY..Doesn't biting human flesh hurt to hell? leave it to the movie actors kids don't try this at home

July 6, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  54. Jasmyn Zanzibar

EW!~ disease...breaking the skin spreads them all. "Better biting than doing drugs" !!?? you have gotta be kidding.. one bad bite could spread HIV or any of dozens of life-threatening diseases... why does it have to be one or the other. But if it must be one or the other, I say..."a bag of weed, a bag of weed ~everything's better with a bag of weed~ they're bitin' each other, so if you please, hand them all a lil' bag of weed.~"

But seriously... no... neither...not trading anything on this one. In a time when we don't even risk helping a kid at school with a bloody nose without donning gloves, can we just sit idly by and say, "ah...kids...they do the darnedest things." ??

July 6, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  55. Connie

I own and edit a fine art website for vampire inspired art pieces and I think the kids biting each other is ridiculous and a bit creepy. Admire the myth, admire the lore, admire the art but don't loose your sense of reality.

July 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
  56. Annette

I agree, this is the dumbest thing I ever heard. As for it not being harmful, do you know how many things are transmitted through saliva? The human mouth is one of the dirtiest parts of one's body.

July 6, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  57. Alicia

We are humans not vampires....therefore any one at that age who has the the simplest common- sense should know we should act like humans and not what we aren't. Leave the biting as a hickey for the vampires!

July 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  58. Yelena

I have heard every excuse on here, its the parents fault for not giving the kids attention or the teachers fault for not watching every single one of the students. Or that it is better they are "just" biting each other instead of having sex or doing drugs (honestly if you think these kids are "just" biting and nothing else, then you are in denial). It's not Hollywood with their "evil" movies. It's the stupid kids who have no sense. These kids are doing it not because its a fad from a movie, its because it's something they know they shouldn't be doing. Every time a parent or teacher tries to tell them to stop they will just try harder. Once they stop getting attention for their "bad' behavior they will become bored with biting. It's disgusting to think this is something kids feel they should do, but eventually they will become bored with the vampire craze and move on to the next big fad.

July 6, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  59. styx

Movies do not tell kids to do this but movies can spawn thoughts of oh i should do that its kool because twilight did it. be a parent and tell your kid that its just a movie and is not something to do in real life. stop trying to place the blame on other things for parents who cannot control their kids.

July 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  60. Phil

So whats next?
    New Zombie movie coming out soon, will the kids start eating the flesh of the living?

Keep biting, you'll spread disease (HIV), etc, and can cause infections.

July 6, 2010 at 11:55 pm |
  61. Jamie Starace

Brings me back to the days when everyone had to get a Rambo knife.

July 7, 2010 at 1:02 am |
  62. Fritz Amspacher

This is ridiculous, it has nothing to do with that absurd series, I've been coming home with bite marks, and have been giving them, for years, it has nothing to do with vampires or anything like that, it just feels good, and nobody comes into school with bite marks on their arms, or cheeks or anything like that, you bite, or get bitten, on the neck and thats it, I mean really, how dumb do you think teens are.

July 7, 2010 at 7:09 am |
  63. James Wertz

Ok, I'm 15, and in high school. Few people bite around here. The ones that do do it as a simple sign of affection, but never draw blood. never leave lasting marks. And this is due to a simple like of biting, not the "twilight effect" or anything of the sort. But I will have to say, many people are taking it to far. Biting to such extents is dangerous and shouldn't be so common. But in general, a bite isn't really that bad a thing, unless you draw blood.

July 7, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  64. Martha Stroup

I am a huge twilight fan. I am sorry that this is what the tenagers have taken from this movie to be so important. This is not what should be taken from this book nor do I think that the author intended for this to be taken and used in this way. This is a very horrible practice and I pray the our media, schools, health prifessionals, and most of all Parents will talk to our teanagers and make them understand the life long events that this practice can have on them and others.

July 7, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  65. Ted Nougat

This is so very cool, just what America has been wating for! The mainstreaming of the occult, all made pretty and harmless by hot young actors and an edgey story-line. Sick. Stupid.

July 7, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  66. jessie

the next report we hear is that there is a strange outbreak of Hep C running rampant through the schools. Dumb Kids. I feel so secure knowing that these kids are the future.

July 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  67. Liz

I am a bit skeptical when reports describe some "trend" but give minimal statistical data and scant evidence that this is, in fact, prevalent. Much like the myth of the teen Pharma Party, I'm guessing this isn't quite the widespread phenomenon that it's made out to be. I wouldn't be inclined to really worry that kids are doing this all over the place. Just one person's opinion.

July 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  68. M.J.

Okay people..... how many of you actually Think they literally bite their "chosen one"? this is not in the literal sense and to break the skin and they end up with an open wound "like the Vampires are supposed to do." What they do is bite down whith enought pressure to leave a mark but not break the skin.... This is even less than someone getting a Hickey, which we all know includes the act of suction to bring the blood to the surface. Now we all Should get the idea of this interpretation of marking, there have been many different ways in the past decades of the same idea. This will pass just like all the other fads did. And just for us older kids, didnt this start with Barnabus Collins in Dark Shadows. or even before. Chill out people, as long as they aren't coming after you to survive their existence, then stop being so literal.

July 8, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  69. zombie survivalist

This practice can only bring forth the zombie apocalypse... start gathering ammo and rations now!!!

July 8, 2010 at 9:31 pm |
  70. Cloe

Stephanie Meyers calls herself a morman? Do mormans believe in good demons? (There are no good demons) She has glorified vampires now kids are biting each other? Stephanie starts out writing for young girls and then graduates them to soft porn? What was she thinking?

July 10, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  71. Solitude

You know this was actually something I thought of when I said "I bet crap like this will happen" similar to when I predicted kids would start waving sticks around like wands when Harry Potter started getting popular. The whole shock appeal from adults will just fuel the teen's desire to continue doing it, that's half the attraction right there. Anything seen as a rebellion is like candy to teenagers in this day and age. I'm 21 and while I usually just shake my head at all this "vampire" stuff, it's still obvious that things like this were bound to happen. They needed a public way to display their fandom and clothes weren't doing it, so here ya go. What do you bet we'll see re-distributed copies of old vampire flicks on DVD in store shelves soon? (maybe not, lol)

July 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 19,081 other followers