Today on CNN Newsroom

July 7th, 2010

Arizona Sued by Feds Over Immigration Law

Yesterday the Justice Department filed a lawsuit against the state of Arizona over it's extremely controversial immigration law.

The suit is based on a technicality, with Justice Department lawyers arguing that the law should be ruled invalid because state law cannot overstep federal law.

The highly-debated law requires immigrants to have their alien registration documents on them at all times, but an officer can only ask to see the papers if they have reasonable suspicion that the individual is here illegally. Anyone unable to provide papers would be detained.

Critics say that this allows officers to harass Hispanics and opens the doors for racial profiling. But Arizona government officials in support of the law argue that they are only strengthening the current Federal immigration laws.

What do you think about the Justice Department's lawsuit against Arizona? Please post your comments below.

Read more about the lawsuit here.

Filed under: Anchors • CNN Newsroom • Josh Levs • Kyra Phillips
  1. Cole

This is all the federal governments fault. If they would just learn to get along and pass a law then we wouldn't have this issue. I for one think the Feds should adopt this bill as federal law! And if more than half the people in America support this law why is the government trying to get rid of it?

July 7, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  2. Laura Moore

July 7, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  3. Dave

Kyra,

What happened to the comprehensive immigration law that we passed in 1986? Part of that law was going to be a one time only amnesty for the ones that were here and from then on they would be arrested and returned to country. IF a law has been on the books for so many years, why is there a problem. Why should Arizona's law be determined to be unconstitutional when I've had the same thing done to me in colorado. You should try this: Drive though Colorado without your papers and drivers license and see what happens, I REALLY wish that your porgram would produce the fact that immigration laws are not against mexicans. It's against illigal immigration of people from all countries. China, Japan, New Zealand, all countries.

July 7, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  4. Lori

If the President and the current administration would spend as much time and resources on the BP Oil Spill as it is spending on Arizona's Immigration Law it might actually accomplish something.

July 7, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  5. James Dix

With the Tea Party, The Independence (Fringe) party in Alaska and the now Arizona and Texas support of State Immigration Regulation, the elements seem to be there to start the next Civil War. Again we are faced with a clash of greed, exploitation and perceived superiority.

July 7, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  6. Dave

@Laura Moore

Are you confusing papers maybe?
    In this country you must carry your papers at all times. Try driving without your license opr registration. Those papers give about any kind of in formation available

July 7, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  7. Greg Gullord

Big business does not want to curtail the illegal immigration because of the fact that they can pay low wages. Many big businesses actually advertise in Mexico for people to come up to work. Maybe someone should address this?

Also, I think this whole situation of people saying it is a big problem is just smoke and mirrors to keep the public attention off of the issues that need to be addressed.

July 7, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  8. Bill

July 7, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  9. phydroxide

They're arguing the legitimacy of the law on it's own merits when the source of the problem was the health care bill which threatens to bankrupt Arizona on the backs of illegal immigrant welfare. What they ought to do is enforce the immigration laws at the point of service where welfare is distributed. That would solve both wouldn't it? I guess as always there is more to it including political posturing. What ever happened to the "Missouri Compromise" days of legislation? Sure compromise isn't perfect but it moves us forward even in the face of extremely heated emotion and politics.

July 7, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  10. phydroxide

The Fed doesn't like to be challenged. They know that Arizona has a legitimate claim, or they wouldn't be putting so much firepower behind making it stop. It's a cock fight, and Obama can't stand losing so he bullies.

July 7, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  11. George W Kinsella

I have to show my papers in Canada EH? Who do these border folks
    think they are? In Mich you have to show a drivers lic and insurance if
    you have snow on your lic plate in winter and are stopped by a cop.

July 7, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  12. Former Marine

I am a new father of three and been married for 13 yrs. I see that mostly immigrants are working what job that American citizens ought to be working. It's a shame that most average citizens lost their homes for not haveing jobs that would have taken in order to keep their homes. I am fortunate enough to be stillo fighting to keep my home and have a job but I can tell you that there are alot of people that are citizens that are either homeless or almost homeless becaus ethey cannot find work that immigrants have. America has to give back now to Americans and pass laws to run illegals out of the country back to their homes where they came from, make it illegal to hire illegals and more laws to prevent illegals from comeing back to America. America is being drained for its resources to give free education healthcare and jobs to illegals.

July 7, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  13. Dave

People Please!!! I'll say this again. Its not about Mexicans! Immigration is about all nationalities. Some states have problrms with Peurto Ricans, or Chinese etc. Please keep that in mind when making comments.

July 7, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  14. laura

I don't have a problem with the law per se. My only problem is this, if I were stopped and asked for proof of citizenship, I wouldn't have that on my person. I would have proof of identification, but that isn't the same as proof of citizenship. Are we all going to have to purchase passport cards? I already don't carry a social security card anymore and never carried a birth certificate and I'm pretty sure that most people don't. Isn't the burden of illegal immigration being placed (once again) on the actual citizens to prove our citizenship as well? You can't just assume that only person's who don't "look like Americans" would be asked to prove citizenship... after all, who looks like an American and who doesn't! Having worked in law enforcement for many years, I can tell you that if you don't have a criminal record your citizenship will not show up when a police officer "runs you in the system", DMV does not provide proof of citizenship, only proof of identification and right to drive with or without restrictions, so your state id and drivers license aren't enough to prove citizenship.

July 7, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  15. Rides Ahead "Sah-Mu"

I am a Native American(Blackfeet) who served as an Infantryman in the Marines, Army, and National Guard. I vote Republican because I've always welcomed the superior support of the GOP as an American Serviceman. Let me say this...In 1492 did the Natives say, "Well they don't have papers let's make them go back to a life of religious persecution and dictatorship." Did all the non-Natives forget about how this country was first populated? For one, we were here first and we welcomed you with open arms and look how they repaid us! Now, do you all think that the illegal immigrants are going to push the Americans on to reservations? Fat chance!! Try to help these GOOD people to have a better chance at life like we gave you! Stop all the racist nonsense!!!!!!

July 7, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  16. gisela

hi i am an immigrant my self, the only thing i have to say to this matter, give everybody a working visa, and charge them a small fee, then the people can go to work and pay legal taxes, all others send them back, that takes care of all the ; sweatshop employers and i mean every body who complains about illegal immigrants, but yet employ the so called people for cheap labor.

July 7, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  17. Heather

This is nuts! What have we come to? Perhaps we should be calling ourselves the Divided States of America? What kind of example are we setting? Failing to defend our borders, suing our own States seeking security, claiming that illegals are protected by the American constitution... I am an immigrant and did it legally, but even I support immigration laws being enforced, Federally AND on the State level. I would proudly present my papers.. We are continuously being told how hard it is is to defend the borders, why tie the hands of those who can? If I had to immigrate legally, so should everyone else! Otherwise, I want my money back; it is a tedious and expensive process. We are wasting money on lawyers instead of investing in protection...Ugh...Nuts!

July 7, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  18. Fabiano

@Dave

I think you are confusing things a bit. A driver's license is required for you to drive a car, as you probably recall from Driver´s Ed classes, driving is not a right but a privilege in America. You must prove by presenting your valid driver's license you are entitled that privilege at the present time, if you are driving.

Should your remarks be "Try walking around" rather than "Try driving", then Laura Moore's comments are seen in a different light.

July 7, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  19. Superman

What federal law?!? They are not doing anything worthwhile to stop illegal immigration! Back 20 years ago, police used to do routine traffic stops all the time in Virginia to deter DUIs. There's nothing wrong with making sure someone isn't an illegal immigrant! Illegal immigrants are obviously getting income either from legitimate work or through crimes. With the economy in a such a deep, deep recession with no companies hiring, they need to deport these illegal immigrants!!!

July 7, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  20. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Just wait and see I bet Obama looses this fight .

July 7, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  21. Linda

I am of Mexican decent and a citizen of the US so does that mean I would be stopped in Arizona? How could I prove I am a citizen. I only carry my driver's license. What about the Polish and Italian? Would they be asked to prove they are citizens?

This country was built on immigration...I mean invasion. The Europeans invaded America and then the Americans invaded Mexico. Arizona was a part of Mexico originally. So do don't cry about Mexicans invading the US. First recognize that half this country was a part of Mexico and you are the invaders. Also recognize that immigrants pay their taxes too. And think back to previous racist acts our country has commited and ask yourself if you want to add this one to the list. I guess it is not a problem if you just rewrite history.

Gracias!

July 7, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  22. Mike

ALL other countries PROTECT their borders. We as Americans do not protect our borders. You cannot as a American go to any other country in the world, get a job, get assistance, get a education at the expense of the people in that country. Why should we continue to assist so many while our countrymen, woman and children are suffering here, now. Why should we continue to pay such high taxes to pay their bills, I do not understand what is going on in America anymore. Most countries do not like us, but they can come here, live and eat for free.
    Beaverton, Or.

July 7, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  23. ken, nj

I think the justice department lawsuit against arizona is laughable. The justice department which is headed by a former corporate attorney has not prosecuted one employer for hiring illegal aliens. 12 million illegals continue to stay here illegaly, receive free health care and education all at taxpayer expense while obama and holder sit on their hands. Arizona needs to file suit against obama for not enforcing the federal laws he took an oath to enforce.

July 7, 2010 at 10:09 am |
  24. Steve

Josh:
    With the Federal government’s lawsuit against Arizona, I think we may have a new definition of the word ‘chutzpah’.

The Justice Department’s lawsuit is, in effect, saying even though the U.S. government has totally and completely failed to live up to its constitutional responsibility to secure the southern border you (Arizona) may take no steps to cope with the side effects of the Federal government’s failure because securing the border is the Federal government’s responsibility.

July 7, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  25. Dean Cade

Specious and disingenuous.
    Both parties see illegals as potential constituents.
    20 million people is an invasion.
    They willingly broke the law, and because of their numbers, we are to change the law to accommodate lawbreakers.
    The federal government is reckless and derelict in its duty to the citizenry.
    Where exactly is fairness and diversity? Illegals, overwhelmingly Mexican and Hispanic, feel entitled to go to the head of the line at the expense of those who chose to legally become citizens.
    The race card is particularly offensive, especially from a demographic that is championed by a group known as la raza.

July 7, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  26. Dave

@ Fablano

Your comment has good merrit, however... If you have a drivers license in the US, you are a US citizen. Trust me, if you get stopped at a traffic violation, or are in the area of an altercation, dispatch will check your license and driving record for sure, BUT if you don't show up in the system at all, and the system covers all states, they will do further investigation. If you don't even exist in said system, you're going to be arrested. Trust me, I've been involved in said system for over 20 years.

July 7, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  27. Bob Gay

Don't we have laws on the books already requiring aliens to carry ID with them at all times. Now that jerk Holter wants to sue Arizona for enforcing HIS law. I tell you these Jerks running our country dont read anything do they. Lets make it a requirement that they all from Obama on down read the constitution. Yikes we are in such trouble

July 7, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  28. Mimi

Try living in a Sanctuary City, VA.

Our Mayor and City council voted for this, not the residents.

Here illegals have more rights that regular Americans
    hospitals, free schooling, jobs, jobs , jobs...no taxes.......
    They are the house painters, the brick layers,
    the cleaning house crew, the babysitters, the nannys,
    restaurant workers, all in the service industry.
    They are the only faces you see on road crews.

Guess the employers don't have to pay any taxes either
    since they dont show these people as employees?
    The govt is therefore not getting its share either.

Yes they are hard workers .

Where are Americans getting jobs, not here .
    American business owners are the greedy ones hiring
    the illegals at less than minimum wage,
    and we all know it.
    Yet no one goes after those business owners.

After all if the city government sanctions it , its ok for everyone.

Obama is a one term President.

A democrat leaving the party..........

July 7, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  29. Robert

I think the arguement many people are putting up to protest this law is ridiculous. I myself am a legal immigrant, true it may take some time, and there may be alot of paperwork but why should those who cross into the United States illegal be forwarded even more rights than those of us who are here legally. True only the Federal Government should be able create laws about who can immigrate, but Arizona is only passing a law to enforce the federal laws.

July 7, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  30. Dave

I'm not educated on this so someone who absolutely knows for sure tell me. Can a person who is illigaly in this country get a drivers license in this country, there by proving their legal status?

July 7, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  31. msabena

sounds like the start of another civil war to me- all this state's rights and carrying guns to presidential speeches, and into restaurants and now passing laws that sound an awful like old fashioned apartheid identity papers – so where does it end? they may be getting "papers" from immigrants today but tomorrow. let's see, undocumented gay people, homeless, disabled, mentally ill, potheads, or, hey, maybe just chronically unemployed people may be filling the back seats of police cruisers. i know all of this is backlash to a Black man in the White House-but, come on, get over it. we are lucky to have this man at any time in this nation's history and blessed to have any chance at survival after bush. where was all this anti-government ire when the dimwit was in power – 8 years of insolvency and insanity! and not a peep from the teadraggers – ! arizona's illegal alien situation had been bad for a long while – why didn't they give birth to this law when bush was in the cockpit? i agree the fedeal govt needs to rigorously enforce the laws they have on the books, but if illegal aliens did not have such a rich employment ground in this county, they would stop running across the borders. start prosecutng the EMPLOYERS who hire these people. American born citizens have to show everything but their baby footprints to get a job or a license – why not extend the same courtesy to illegals! you want to stop illegal aliens – STOP HIRING THEM! give an unemployed american a job! And for God's sake, give President Obama a break!

July 7, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  32. Linda

Dave:

My mom was an illegal immigrant and she had a driver's license and she paid taxes. She was a single mom that raised 2 girls who have graduated college (paid by themselves) and are living the American dream. My mom is now a citizen.

July 7, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  33. Bobbi

WOW, well I agree with most of you. I think that the immigration laws in this country need to be adjusted. Not just towards Mexicans but anyone that is here illegally. I think that they should have to go throught he process of becoming a legal citizin to be able to have the benefit's that us American's have. I am a single mother of 4 young children. I am working very hard to put myself through school and I tell you getting help is difficult. But if my skin were a different color than white I can recon that it would be much easier!! It sickens me every time that I think about it. And then our Federal Government using our resources to fight ourselves is just plain insanity, in my opinion. I think that we need to look at what is best for AMERICAN'S. That means those of us that were born citizens and those of us that have gone through the process to become a citizen!!!!

July 7, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  34. Dave

@ Robert

Please, could you tell me, could you get a driver's license while waiting for your judgement on being an American citizen? Please.

July 7, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  35. Bill

This issue seems black and white to me. Protect our border first, then deal with the immigration issues. Yet the Arizona law has polarized this country. Illegal aliens and Mexicans on one side and everyone else on the other side. The US does not owe Mexico anything and it is insulting to this country that we would allow another country to insist on a voice in our political system. The will of the American people is being overlooked. Countless polls show overwhelming support for the Arizona law, yet the vocal minority villifies those that would put America ahead of foriegn interests. Has anyone missed the point that it is to Mexico's benefit to keep a porous border? What would happen to Mexico's own welfare system if even 10% of the illegal aliens were to suddenly get sent back to Mexico? In this horrible economy and world strife, we need to look out for American interests first if we are to even consider supporting and aiding other countries. Close our border now before the floodgates open so wide that no law would be able to mitigate it.

July 7, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  36. Lenny

I'm so tired of hearing about needing immigration reform. There is nothing wrong with the system that we have in place now. What we need is to actually enforce the system that we have in place.

Yes, this country was founded on immigration....LEGAL immigration. I don't think that anyone here has a problem with immigrants that are here legally. It's the ones that have entered and reside here without having gone through the legal process that people have a problem with.

As for Arizona, they are simply enforcing laws that the Federal government has passed. The new law merely requires aliens to carry registration documents that they are already required to carry under federal law. They aren't redefining what constitutes an illegal immigrant, nor are they trying to change the immigration process. Again, it is simply enforcement of EXISTING laws.

July 7, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  37. G

The authority of the law has never been perfectly applied in our nation. No system is perfect. Yet, I wonder if we are not eroding the founding principles of law in our nation when do not enforce those which are clearly being violated. The subject application of law depending upon ethnicity, class, religion, etc. removes the blindfold from the "Lady of Justice". I believe this is a much larger issue which is related to the problem of illegal immigration. Yet, the fair and just application of law needs to begin somewhere or we are in much graver trouble than we realize.

July 7, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  38. Brenda Morgan

Why does the State of Arizona not turn around and file a lawsuit against the federal government for not enforcing the federal law concerning illegals in the Arizona and the rest of the United States. I, myself, would love to join a nationwide lawsuit against I.C.E. officials for stating that they would not pick up and deport the illegals arrested in Arizona which is, as far as I (not an attorney, just a concerned citizen) is illegal for them to not follow through on what they are supposed to do to enforce the Federal law

July 7, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  39. phydroxide

It shouldn't matter that a state border another country to be allowed to protect it's border. Illegal immigrants may arrive by plane, or they may come from neighboring states. It actually does make sense that the Federal government maintain the authority to enforce the border, but with the current administration it is clear that they have no intention to. As someone said, the federal government is deaf to the needs in Arizona and this is why it behooves Arizona to re-assert their State's rights. What use is it to be a member of a union that doesn't protect its own. This is why states defected early in our country people!

July 7, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  40. Andy D.

The suit against Arizona is not valid. Arizona did make a new immigration law, it enacted a mirror image of current immigration law. The feds are not claiming the law itself is unconstitutional only that Arizona doesn't have the authority to make immigration law a state law. That is going to be tricky for the feds to prove since it has a 287 g programs across the entire U.S. when state and local authorities enforce immigration law.

The racist rehotric needs to stay out of this debate. The issue illegal immigration and their rights to stay here. If the proponnets of SB1070 keep their focus they will when this suit. Most are against illegal immigration and want more enforcement in this area however no one will associate themselves with a bunch of racist.

July 7, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  41. Rick

Why do the illegal alliens pay so much money to be let off in the middle of the desert? why don't they come thrue the border passes legally? They say they do the jobs Americans won't do. if a white American goes to work picking fruit in California they get their tires slashed or get threatened and screwed with in other ways! The illegals have had the jobs there sown up for 20 years! And also I was under the idea that traveling anywhere in the U.S. without I.D. on you is illegal! I guess only for Americans! Folks We have been invaded! It's equil to Your neibors raiding your ice box When your not home! Look at Mexico how can one of the worst countries in the world manage to exist next to one of the best countries and not help themseves up out of their despair? What We complain about them is in many cases what is ruining their own country!!!! It's time they go home! Also is there a list of laws somewhere that aren't enforced?

July 7, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  42. flamboyan27

Dave, get it right: Puertorricans are CITIZENS and serve in all military for the U S of A since the Treaty of Paris. We LEGALLY ocupy American ground, thank you

July 7, 2010 at 11:04 am |
  43. Gene McHenry

I could post the Ca. Immigration Law but you can look it up if you wish.
    The Fed's should it is the same as AZ.s 1070. What is going on with this? Think about it. Go look it up and make the call for your self.

July 7, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  44. Marti

No one seems to be focusing in on a major aspect of this law. If enforced, the arrested suspects will be detained in "Sheriff Joe's Jail" rather than turned over to the Federal Immigration group. Sheriff Joe said it himself in one of his interviews.

I live in Phoenix and am aware of the crime statistics although I don't feel threatened. The law is unnecessary and does not address the real problem which is not about illegal immigration, but about drug traffic and crime.

July 7, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  45. Steve

In re Pearce-Garcia interview:
    The Arizona law wrongfully puts the pressure on the police; the number of opportunities for errors of judgement is beyond guessing.
    Garcia does not distinquish between legal and illegal immigrants. She should be defending legal immigrants only.
    The law should put the pressure on those who higher workers.
    The Feds should be policing the work places.

P.S. Your headline banners at the bottom of the screen are a challenge to read. The way Fox News does it is better.

July 7, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  46. DDB

First off to use the term "Extremely controversial immigration law" is simply ridiculous. The AZ law was modeled after the CURRENT FEDERAL law but unlike the federal law it provides terminology against racial profiling. Secondarily the Federal law suit against AZ doesn't even mention racial profiling. So I guess the federal government no longer believes that racial profiling will be an issue. Even though there was an attempt early on to paint this AZ law as racist!

July 7, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  47. Bret

It's all about greed!!!! We the people of the United States of America have taken advantage of illegal alliens for years. We have broken the law by hiring, paying very low wages and evading taxes. We have caused this hardship on ourself many years ago. We are now reeping what we have sowed.

July 7, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  48. max

I lived in AZ,for 30 years. Had to leave.to much crime,drugs,gangs,drop houses,kidnappings.I am glad I left,for a small town in oh This law should have been on the books 30 years ago Thank You

July 7, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  49. Linda

Europeans did not come to America legally, unless you consider killing legal. Mexico shares a continent with the US which is more than i can say for the Europeans. If you don't like brown people your ancestors should not have immigrated to a country next to Mexico and a country already occupied by brown people. Centuries ago you were the alien and the invader. Brown people have lived on this continent before Christ and that includes Mexicans! Go worry about the Canadian border where the terrorist responsible for 9/11 came from. It does not matter how you feel about this issue. This country was founded by immigrants looking for a better life. Nothing stopped your ancestors and nothing will stop future generations from doing the same. You can just be cranky and upset but you and your children will have to face reality.

July 7, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  50. DDB

I find it interesting that the Federal government is suing Arizona for a law that helps the federal government enforce immigration laws and yet they refuse to do the same for sanctuary cities which are clearly in violation of Immigration laws. It seems like we live in some Bizzaro alternate universe. Those who help are punished while those break the law are awarded.

July 7, 2010 at 11:30 am |
  51. Arizona Fan

Go Arizona. I have carried paper for years, my drivers license and my checkbook. I am driving and being legal, I am proud to show any
    paperwork needed, so my taxes don't pay for a bunch of muslims coming over here illegally and Mexicans, who take our jobs, if they don't kill us and rob us first! This is the first of many steps of Christians taking this country back for God and our children, and taking back for the God-fearing men that wrote the constitution, not giving over to non-american Presidents, who are kenyan throw-backs.

July 7, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  52. Dave

@flamboyan27
    You're so right, my appologies, my mistake. So sorry.
    My comment is not against any nationality, race or immigration status. It is only to inform people who believe that immigration = Mexicans. Immigration, legal or illegal pertains to all countries, races and nationalities. Again, no harm intended toward you.

July 7, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  53. William

Linda, EUROPEANS immigrated here for the same reasons that the ..."brown people" you mention immigrated here. I can't say one way or the other.

My opinion is the law as it stands may infringe upon the rights of the world community through a stance of "doing nothing" or by racially profiling.

"It actually does make sense that the Federal government maintain the authority to enforce the border, but with the current administration it is clear that they have no intention to. As someone said, the federal government is deaf to the needs in Arizona and this is why it behooves Arizona to re-assert their State's rights. What use is it to be a member of a union that doesn't protect its own. This is why states defected early in our country people!"

It's up to the law to pick out the pieces it favors and the pieces it dosn't favor. And I guess Albert Einstien was really disguised as Satan for all that it's worth.

July 7, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  54. Bob

I don't see a problem with the law at all requiring them to carry their papers with them at all times, after all, I'm supposed to carry my driver's license or some form of ID with me at all times.

July 7, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  55. brian

Texas needs to join Arizona and pass similar laws. New Mexico, too.

July 7, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  56. Clay

Laura Moore

Quoting: "Has any thought of the civil rights of the American citizens? I thought it was our right to not have to carry "papers" to prove who you are."

Exactly where did you find this in the constitution?

July 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  57. Elizabeth

I have no problem with Arizona's law. Anytime I am stopped by a police officer on the road the first thing he wants is my identification (driver's license), regristration and proof of insurance. It doesn't have a thing to do with my nationality, it is procedure. I am not an immigrant....my people settled in this country in the late sixteen hundreds....am I offended because he asked for i.d.? No, not at all. If the people who are here illegially have a problem with that they have two choices. Go back where they came from or get legal.
    We should expect our federal government to address the illegal problems and if they can't or won't then the states bordering on Mexico or Canada must pick up the slack. This situation has only escalated in the last several decades and the feds have done basically nothing to stop the flow.
    Go Arizona!!!

July 7, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  58. Linda

At one point half this country supported slavery and that did not make it right. Reflect on what is truly fair and not just what is convenient.

The American founders were not put to justice for the crimes committed against Native Americans and Blacks. All was forgiven and everyone stayed and continued with their lives. So why can't you give amnesty to the newcomers for coming in illegally for a better life. The majority are families who only aspire to work and eat. They do pay for taxes, they fight in our wars and stimulate the economy. There is violence of course but that has been the case in all poor communities since the beginning of time. It does not matter if you are Polish, Irish or Italian. You were at the bottom at one point and you were not wanted. Remember our past and don't commit the same mistakes that will be regretted sooner or later.

July 7, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
  59. J L Turner

The critical point in this law is: When the Federal government actively disregards its own law does it abidicate its authority to the States? when the courts rule on the consitutionality of the Arizona law, this is the constitutional issue that can have far reaching effects on more than just immigration. Basically it comes down to a States right issue again.

Sure immigration is the basis for the law but the law would not be needed if the Federal government enforced their own laws. Government officials took an oath when they got their jobs, to uphold all the laws of the United States, not just what they want to.

July 7, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  60. Jeryl

The Federal Government is two-faced and disengenuous! The Obama Administration absolutely refuses to enforce immigration laws and is now putting pressure on a state that is trying to protect its citizens. Shame on Obama!

July 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  61. lee

any boby that goes to another country from u.s.a. has to have driver lic id or passport or work visa. what is diffrence here.
    hope all works for safty of all.

lee

July 7, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  62. Jonathan Robinson

I, an American, apologize to the illegal immigrants here in the US. I apologize that your country is inferior to ours. You can argue all you want, but your argument will have no merit for one reason: you chose to escape your home country and live HERE for a reason. If you did not escape here, then why did you come here illegally?

Having said that, I have no problems with you staying in my country if you do so legally. We have a process that you must go through. I understand that the process takes time. Do things legally (my ancestors did) and I won't have a problem with you.

I thank our law enforcement and our common citizens for both enforcing and working toward improving our immigration laws simultaneously. I work hard to live as an American and abide by the law. If I break the law, I expect consequences.

I ask everyone, American and not, to abide by the law. Specifically, employ only legal citizens. Though you save a penny today by employing illegal immigrants, you are costing yourself (or your children) a dollar tomorrow.

Sincerely,
    An American on paper, an American at heart, an American for tomorrow

July 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
  63. Mr. Eister

Americans seem to forget that their ancestors STOLE the land in this country from the Indians on their way West, called them savages as Union troops murdered thousands of men women and children, and broke 'every' treaty ever signed with them. Americans have forgotten that WE as Americans thanks to Bush and the Republicans over 9/11 with the Patriot Act, that WE (also) now MUST, since 4/15/09 have 'Permission to Work' REAL ID's (papers) called TWIC. Americans MUST buy from the gov't, a REAL ID, and before you can even have it, the gov't makes sure WE are not terrorists in our own country, RICO Act crimminals, or have mental hospital backgrounds. And, all this is being enforced by the 'military' USCG to enter private property in the 'private sector', but do we hear of anyone complaining about that? NO! No one mentions that WE must provide OUR papers to the military (verify for yourself, google TWIC) to work, yet whine and cry about illegals without papers being here taking our jobs.

July 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  64. Arizona supporter!

I agree with Bill. He said it nicely:

"I fail to see the logic that allows people (aliens and citizens alike) to break the law in this country and then act indignant when we choose to seal our borders. Where is it written in the constitution that we owe illegal citizens anything except a free ride back to their homeland?With that said, I fully support all people who enter this country legally and then go through due process to become American citizens. But I refuse to spend one cent of my hard earned money to go to supporting illegals in our already swamped welfare system. And I am getting tired of illegal aliens stealing my identity and SSN. Notice that I do not zero in on Mexicans. I support any State wanting to enforce their borders and stem the tide of illegal aliens, drugs and firearms."

July 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  65. Brian

It's funny to see how illegals are scape-goats for the economic crisis were in right now, lets remember it was i quote, "triggered by a dramatic rise in mortgage delinquencies and foreclosures in the United States, with major adverse consequences for banks and financial markets around the globe" just another false argument this ignorant man uses.

July 7, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  66. Aracely

Arizona your law only targets Mexicans, what about Swedens, Germans. Hindus the color of skin determines whether you get stopped or not. Well , I was at the Welfare offices a few weeks ago, just to see who goes there and there was not 1 Mexican in the freebies line. You see they don't qualify, it was just whites there. So who is here draining the federal government. Mexicans work here in what ever they can find. They find lots of jobs, and the unemployment offices are full of (not mexicans) getting unemployment benefits because they don't have the right job, so there families end up on welfare lines because they can't work cleaning the airport, cleaning hotels, Mcdonalds, they claim bankruptcy so they don't have to pay their debts, cause they are too proud to work in something less than a white collar job. Hispanics are here to stay and they will continue to come no matter what! Shame on you Arizona I definitely will never live there. Thank you just an American Citizen.

July 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  67. Lori

I really don't see what the big deal is about having to prove who you are and having to carry that proof around on your person. American Indians have to provide proof of who they are. I know, I'm always asked "Well if your American Indian do you have an ID Card"?

July 8, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  68. Paul

What is up with this? and why doesn't CNN cover this. Justice Department lawyer who once defended "American Taliban" John Walker Lindh is now leading the administration's case against the Arizona immigration law. So the people who defend the Taliban is now fight against the states that defend its boards.

July 8, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  69. ed

The trade center was leveled, people killed. The country began a campaign on securing our Country. We have built fences around airports, put security systems in schools and government buildings, created the patriot act which is a joke. We have added more airport security and gone to war with Afghanistan and Iraq. We worry about Iran getting nukes and smuggling them into the US. We all know the deal.
    So, why all this if people can walk right into our country from Mexico and our Government do nothing about it. This looks like a major homeland security issue to me and the Government is doing nothing. Oh, excuse me, Oboma is suing Arizona for doing what he said he was going to do in his campaign to be elected.
    Issues like these are what the Tea Party Is About.

July 8, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  70. Al Dunn

Thank you, thank you governor for upholding our federal laws. They are breaking our federal ,state and city income tax laws also. Obama is also going to give them free health insurance and sell them citizenship. Our citizenship is NOT for sale that would be a slap in the face to every soldier that has ever served our country please stop this invasion of our country and send the criminals back. Thanks CNN for keeping us informed of this criminal activity.

July 9, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  71. Jay Jarvis

Why r we having to pay for this It is our federal gov to do their jobs not to go behind our backs and pass laws the we don't want.....

July 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  72. mountainmike

The whole issue is what constitutes "probable cause" for law enforcement asking for identification. Racial profiling should never serve as probable cause.

July 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm |