Today on CNN Newsroom

July 9th, 2010

MANAGING YOUR MONEY

Tax cuts put into place during the Bush administration are set to expire at the end of the year unless Congress decides to extend them. So what does this mean for you? Tax rates and long-term capital gains rates will rise among other things. We'll break down the specifics and offer advice on things you can do now to protect your retirement nest egg. Join us this Saturday at 2pm ET for a conversation with Financial Adviser Ron Hart.

Post your personal finance questions and we'll answer them live on the air!

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield • Josh Levs
  1. Erika

I am glad to see Ron Hart on CNN again, those stock pick he gave awhile back worked well. Dell went from 11 to 13 the next week.

How does he see the stock market performing given the tax increasing coming in 2011?

July 9, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
  2. Ralph

It's about time the rich started paying more. Those tax cuts nearly ruined this country. If were up to me, they would pay a lot more. We are becoming a two class country and with all the power big money has, I think it may be too late to stop it.

July 9, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  3. Kimberly

I'd like to leave some money to my kids and grandkids, are there some strategies I can take advantage of now before estate tax rates go up?

July 9, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  4. Lisa

what is a good example of a tax friendly dividend paying investment ?

July 10, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  5. Linda

How should I plan to invest in the higher tax landscape of 2011?

With all the troubles cities are having, do muni bonds make sense?

July 10, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  6. Steve

My parents want to leave me some money, should they do it in 2010 before the estate taxes go up?

July 10, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  7. Rett

What investment strategies would you recommend a young professional take in a Roth IRA?

July 10, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  8. rande

Hi
    Thank you for taking my question. Do you believe Bush benefits will go away? If so, what are your suggestions for safe investments with reasonable growth potential?
    RHL

July 10, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  9. Dr. L

Thank you for taking my question. What do you think of the future liablities of union,state and federal pension plans? Where are we on that issue? What about the promises that have been made to those employees??

July 10, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  10. TOM

Ron:

Here in Tuscany, in the farm country southeast of Florence, we will not be able to hear your response.

But here is our question and observation.

Can a mamby pamby American population pull themselves up by the bootstraps and return to a life of hard work growing crops, digging minerals, refining materials, making the products we use every day?

In my travels through China a year ago and Italy this summer, I observe people sweating to make things grow, to make cloth for what we wear, to make the steel in the car we drive.

I want your thoughts Ron. Does America still have the stomach to create stuff?

Tom

p.s. – Will check our usual e-mail for your response.

July 10, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  11. Kim Polakoff

Hi Ron,
    Are you bullish on buying property along the gulf coast in light of the oil situation in the gulf? How do you think the oil will affect property values along the Florida gulf coast?
    Thanks,
    Kim
    Florida Realtor

July 10, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  12. John

Is this a good time to buy or build in Rosemary Beach?

July 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  13. Mary Holzaepfel

Glad y'all give common sense advise to folks. The government keeps changing the rules. Too many times in my life I've found out about a tax law change after it was impossible to make use of the information. I'm sorry the real estate deduction is going away. It will add another weight to a drowning man. I sure wish we had a flat tax rate. I have wasted so many years I won't get back taking care of filing taxes. I don't resent paying taxes even if unfairly applied but what truely chafes is the loss of time imputing data for the federal government. I suppose now congress will only make it more difficult to comply with the law so they can add penalities and fines at imputed rates of interest.

July 11, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
  14. Terry

Great interview, it actually made sense. That is something complex financial matters rarely do. Kudo to Mr Hart and Fredricka.

July 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  15. Gail

This was interesting, especially on the LeBron comment. That makes alot of sense to me.

Well done Fredricka and Ron. Great chemistry.

July 13, 2010 at 10:23 am |