Today on CNN Newsroom

• Financial Reform
  • Funding for the War in Afghanistan
  • Jobs Bill
  • Unemployment Benefits
  • “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” Policy on Gays in the Military
  • A Supreme Court Nomination

It’s an ambitious to-do list for Congress as they return to work. What makes it even more challenging, the timeline: They have a little less than a month until their next recess.

So what do you think lawmakers should make their top priority?

Leave us a comment. We’ll share some of them on air in the CNN Newsroom, 11am — 1pm ET

Filed under: Tony Harris
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Hi Tony the president should stick to making jobs all his attempts at all the other projects has made the people angry with him and until he can abide by the majority of Americans wishes he should stick to jobs .

July 12, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  2. Charlotte Bentz

Congress should have to live on unemployment for 26 weeks. Than tell the people that they would rather be on unemployment instead of working. As the old saying goes try walking a mile in my shoes.

July 12, 2010 at 10:08 am |
  3. Becca Waters

I think that congress should focus on Unemployment Benefits. There are not enough jobs because of the recession. People are having to rely on help from local churches and food banks.

July 12, 2010 at 10:11 am |
  4. William Brooks

Congress should concentrate on passing unemployment benefits there are alot people who need there benefits and are struggling to get by this need is great

July 12, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  5. William Brooks

Congress should concentrate on unemployment benefits people are struggling to get by without it

July 12, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  6. Matt Iron

People are elected to do the work of the people who elected them. It is absurd that this particular Congress especially the Republican members have become the do nothing congress unless it comes to fund raising to get re-elected. We need jobs and need this jobs right away. Those whose kernels were cranked by benevolent spirits, should not forget to be humble. This Congress is taking the American people for granted.

July 12, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  7. Janice Goodrich

Have Congress loose there paychecks for several months and see how fast they pass the unemployment benefits and cobra extension.

July 12, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  8. Tracy Vaughan

There are millions of people in America today who are wondering how to pay their mortgage and car payment because congress failed to extend unemployment benefits. I am one of them, I have been unemployed for 6 months and 2 weeks. I lost my unemployment last week and we are on the brink of foreclosure and repossession. I have applied for every job available in my field and outside my field including those jobs I would have to take a 50 to 75% pay cut. I've not even gotten a phone call for an interview. I lost my job because of the economy not because of poor performance.
    The congress needs to recognize there are millions of people in this country who are my situation, we are on the brink of foreclosure and repossession. If you don't do the right thing and work on extending unemployment benefits and work on creatinge more JOBS in the USA, I want you to know we will be voting you (Congress) out of office because of poor performance. That's just one vote... multiplied by a couple of million.

July 12, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  9. Clayton

Unemployment benefits. I'm a union plumber in California on the bottom of a long list. Unemployment extensions will keep food on the table. Benefits will keep
    Cash in the community. We need this.

Every issue is important, no benefits bring life to a stand still.

July 12, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  10. stephanie

unemployment , because weather or not they don't notice it , they are causing more harm than good on holding off. After all we have our family and bills to pay . they talk about the economic improving, we the millions of people on unemployment is also making a contribution to this progress. To the GOp i say " Do the right thing and say Yes to unemployment we American's need it. its not our fault we in this situation but primarily Yours

July 12, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  11. Betty Martin

Unemployment should be the top priority. Congress gave more than 2 trillion to Wall Street and shouldn't hesitate to spend a few billion to feed and shelter American workers. I think those who voted against benefits should forfeit their paychecks if it's so easy to live without one. Let them look for work in today's job market. Today's unemployed did not make this mess and shouldn't lose their homes and not be unable to feed their families because of the arrogance, ignorance and greed of those on Wall Street and in Washington! Remember: every unemployment dollar returns 46 cents. That's better than the stock market!

July 12, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  12. Tyler

Congress should make the extension of unemployment benefits their top priorty. It is unacceptable that Congress took a vacation while millions of Americans have been cut off from receiving benefits needed for their families. The republican politicians responsible for holding up the extension and politicizing this matter should be ashamed of themselves. I am going to change my party affiliation specifically because of the republicans actions holding up these benefits.

July 12, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  13. Michelle

Unemployment benefits and the jobs bill should be the top priority. These two items have a huge impact on the day to day lives of so many Americans. For those not getting paid while the Senate is debating the issue it is devastating.

July 12, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  14. kathy from phx az

Hi Tony, First thing Congress should do is stop going on so many vacations. While millions are out of work all they care about is themselves. They have no clue what is going on. When they are working they can'y get anything done. They are useless.

July 12, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  15. Mike F

HELP US UNTIL WE CAN FIND A JOB.
    Congress should find the funds to help the Citizens that are unemployed.
    They should TAX THE HELL OUT OF COMPANIES THAT TAKE JOBS OUT SIDE USA.
    I know so may citizens that are unemployed for the first time in their lives, the professional politicians do not see beyond their circle, maybe we should have term-limit.
    MF

July 12, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  16. susan

They need to get on unemployment as soon as their feet hit the ground. People can't wait for WV to decide who they are going to vote in. They need to treat it with the urgency it demands. Like their shoes were on fire and could not be put out until they passed this bill.

July 12, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  17. mark d. zimmerman

Unemployment benefits should be the main thing, we worry about giving money to every other country for different reasons than we do for our own people, i just want what is owed to me! please pass this bill congress!

July 12, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  18. Redspin NY

Unemployment. I am 56 years old have been unable to find a job for over 18 months now and have been freelancing when I can. Things are looking really bad especially for us older folks. We desperately need this extension.

July 12, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  19. OJO

are you kidding me tony this ridicolous i am a unemployed 20yr single father and college student its very hard making day by day especially in NYC when my maximum payable amount ran out and i have only been unempoyed for 6mos and my fate relies on congress for the $88 every week that i recieve that had been in limbo for a 1month will some help me please,i have a daughter to feed !!!anyone's help is appericiated

July 12, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  20. Mitch Morrell

Priority # 1: Extend UIC!!!!
    I have been unemployed since my job was outsourced to Mexico last November. I have applied for literally hundreds of jobs in that time and am still unemployed. I have been without any income since my unemployment insurance ran out during the first week of July and have to go to the library to use the internet, as I cannot afford to pay for access... now I am facing having my phone turned off...

I am desperate for SOME sort of assistance!!!

July 12, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  21. Joe T

Please why did they go in the first place? They work at their own pace SLOW. Where is the unemployment ext? People are living in cars and outside and these fools argue over where to get the funding. I will never Ever cast another vote any time in my life for any of these dinosaurs. They all need to be replaced at election time. Reid and pelosi at the top of the list. Then when America wakes up obamba is next to go.

July 12, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  22. Derek Leslie

Unemployment Extention should be on the top of the list! 2 Million without money for food or bills is unheard of. They should have stayed and took care of it before thier little vacation. They don't care about the people they only care for themselfs. We the unemployed sit here without money while they debate the issue with a steady pay check......Bull$#!^

July 12, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  23. Eric

Unemployment benefits! I'm employed and I think they should extend this to the people. What is the matter with these people in the senate. All I see is a bunch of lazy bums in the white house and not so much on unemployment.

July 12, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  24. Russ

Unemployment.................Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

July 12, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  25. Jerry Svec

I feel that unemployment benefits should be extended. The politicians shuld have to live in our shoes and look for employment and then have the emergency benefits cut and state that the public is tired of bail outs. The bailouts that I am tired of is for th fat cats, banks, auto makes etc and the public constatnly gets screwed. Banks foreclosing on homes so where is the help for us.
    Additionally the government needs to get off their duff and do something constructive about the gulf oil spill instead of making empty promises.

July 12, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  26. Tony Berry

Unemployment benefits should definitely be at the top of the list. The Republicans complain about the money being spent now on this but if nothing is done about it the amount that is being spent now will double with all the people out there needing help. Congress needs to pass this bill now!

July 12, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  27. GFox

First Priority is Get a BILL Passed, The bill should be.

1. Extending Unemployment benefits , Start a tier 5 or what ever it takes.
    2. A tax break for small buisness that hire Unemployed workers.
    3. This part is very important,,,DO NOT ADD TO THIS BILL.
    4. PASS THE BILL...

July 12, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  28. Richard Black

the thing congress should make their priority is to stay in cession and do the job we elected them to do... quit taking all the prolonged vacations..

July 12, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  29. Pam

I hope Congress ate well this past July 4th holiday week. Of course, they did because they didn't lose their salaries unlike the so-called American people. If our government has simple common sense, if not compassion they would think, 'hey, the voters needs to pay bills, eat and pay their rent or mortgages', they would automatically extend the unemployment benefits for the people.

July 12, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  30. Kim

Unemployment benefits, I have a job, but my ex-husband has been unemployed and used up all of his extensions. He pays child support, I will no longer get that $400.00 a month. I cannot pay my mortgage now, so I will be out on the street with my son because of this. Do they not realize what is going on out here in the real world???? I would never have believed that things could get this bad and NO ONE IN WASHINGTON IS DOING ANYTHING!!!!

July 12, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  31. Bonnie

Tony,
    The un-employed people in the USA, needs your help to keep
    talking about people not being able to find a job. I have been looking for work for over a year and I have not found anything as of yet. I feel very strongly that the Senate should have passed the un-employment benefits for a little while longer. This helps to feed the children and keep
    a roof over their head. Please keep talking about this on CNN.
    Bonnie

July 12, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  32. Randy

They were supposed to pass the Federal Unemployment Extension by July 2nd, 2010 so that should be their 1st priority...Millions of people like me need that to live...believe me I've been looking for work and the extension will not make me lazy and prevent me from looking for work...I need that income to pay bills and eat!

July 12, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  33. Victoria of Georgia

Hi Tony

It is really appauling that our Congress has taken their leisure to really be concerned with this country. So as a result millions have had to do without while struggling to pay mortgages and put food on the table.

First things first are the unemployment issues. How do they sleep at night! second: jobs, jobs, jobs!! Most ot those in Congress are well off.....isn't that pitiful......if they were really concerned they would have stayed and help make a way for Americans.... Our country is busy about everyone elses business but our own....

That's why people have grown tired of the greedy as they disregard the needy....even news commenters...why don't you split your job with someone who has none......to keep people employed.

Skip blaming Pres. Obama.....he is only working with the hidden stuff from years of greed....BP is only a additional piece of what was hid about regulations and running this country........

July 12, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  34. Robert

Should unemployment benefits be extended? Yes, but with a policy change: Instead of paying someone unemployment $'s to stay at home, their unemployment $'s should be used to pay them to work for a business doing the same kind of work they were doing before they lost their job. in fact, this policy change should apply to (everyone) receiving unemployment benefits. Net results: The $'s are used to put people back to work.

July 12, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  35. dave

Hi Tony,

First thing Congress should do is extend unemployment benefits for the displaced workers. We can find billions of dollars to give aid to many different countries in need but we can not seem to help out people in our own backyards. As for the naysayers that unemployed people are just looking for a handout, well I would like to see those people walk a month in an unemployed person's shoes and then see what they think.

It is very hard to go from bringing home 900.00 to 1100.00 per week then have to live on a maximum of 387.00 per week. Yeah that makes it all worth not finding a job for, come on let's face it you can barely even survive on that.

It's no wonder the housing markets in the toilet with so many people out of work. Extending the unemployment and adding a tier 5 would not just help out the needy but it would also help the economy out.

Put some money into those people who need the help and it would in turn get circulated back into the economy thus boosting the economy.

The 30 – 50 billion to fund the unemployment extension is a relatively
    small amount in the large scheme of the deficit.

The two parties need to put aside their bickering differences for the power of their political gain and think about the american people who put them in those positions to represent them in Congress.

Let's get this simple thing done!!!!

July 12, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  36. Malcolm from philly

Unemployment Benefits, it should pass and if the Republicans want to know how to pay for it, then they should repeal the Bush Tax cuts since the total cost for the tax cuts is about 10x more then Unemployment benefits would run, but then again what do I know, I'm just one of the millions of America who has been laid off due to rampant mismanagement of our Financial system by Congress and their friends. America just head to your local congressmen's house and crash out on their couch since at this rate they will be the only one with places to live

July 12, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  37. Eve Bailey

UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION – should be Congress' priority before any other issue. After 30+ yrs of working, paying taxes & contributing to society – I lost my job one year ago have been unable to find work. I lost my home..

I live in Nevada – the state with the highest unemployment in the country. My unemployment expires in TWO WEEKS. I will have ZERO income.

My son, a single father of two will lose his benefits next week again, with no source of income . He is a construction worker here, in Nevada – where there is no new construction scheduled until at the earliest, 2012.

We need help. Congress should not take their vacations. They should not leave until this extension bill is signed.

Help us please. I pay property taxes. I vote. I donate to charities regularly. I contribute to society.

HELP US PLEASE!! EXTEND THE BENEFITS. CREATE SOME JOBS. OFFER SOME KIND OF NEW PROGRAMS FOR CITIZENS WHO WILL BE HOMELESS in a matter of weeks!

Pass the bill!

July 12, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  38. Patti

Unemployment benefits!!!! We can fund wars in the Middle East that mean absolutely nothing, we can give aid to earthquake victims overseas, we virtually help the whole world but ..... we can't help our own???? No unemployment extension for me means bankruptcy! Now that certainly helps the economy doesn't it!!

July 12, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  39. donna

They should focus on the unemployment extension first!

I am an unemployed MI worker, a degreed professional with years of experience. I look for a job every day from morning until done; treat the search as if IT IS my job. For a year I've applied for anything from secretary to engineer and don't even receive a, "no thanks".

The only change in the job search today is employers trying to take advantage of a bad situation with postings like, "unpaid intern" or co-ordinator position with a Master's Degree (code words for less pay for the same work).

July 12, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  40. mary hoffman-boshers

unemployment bill, congress and senate need to live on unemployment for awhile and than tell them that the extensions have run out and they get no more help. I have worked 40 years and this is the first time I got unemployment and I have tried to find jobs in michigan well there aren't any, I worked my job for 25 years than told me you are on indefinite layoff. Help america

July 12, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  41. Linda M

HI Tony I would like all Repub Sen to know this –
    Dear Republican Senators:
    I believe we Americans deserve better service from an elected official. You have let me know by your “nay” vote that you obviously don’t know the meaning of, “United we stand – Divided we fall” because you united with others like you and voted to divide the people of this great nation and bring us to our knees when we were already down. The estimate is TWO MILLION by July, this is the number of people whom you have deprived of the help we deserve not only because we have worked for it and are in dire need, but because we are Americans and this is not the AMERICAN WAY. Respectfully,
    Linda M., American and
    UNITED STATES CITIZEN

July 12, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  42. Jonathan Silver

Unemployment benefits absolutely. It is such a drop in the bucket, particularly when we learn about the tax breaks the oil industry has been getting, particularly when the amount sits again the multiple millions in the TARP! Why is is always corporate welfare congress finds so easy to approve, but helping the individuals who are victims to the mistakes these corporations make? Always a struggle.

July 12, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  43. Michael Stewart

Please extend the benefits – if you think the homeless will just go away think again. Wait until there are so many people in “card board cities” – or maybe this is what is wanted for us. If we do not have a permanent address – can we vote? Wow – and here in November that would help who? Oh – the rich!
    There are storms brewing out on the horizon – keep watch!

July 12, 2010 at 11:17 am |
  44. jennifer Reitmeyer

We help everyone else but ourselves. Everyone is trying to have food and shelter in the good old USA. We are not in helping hand mode we are in survival mode! UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS needs to be paid by the monies going to OTHER countries. And while I am at it what about a little education funding rather than blowing our money on material things! We are headed for a massive ignorant society. Who is going to create, imagine and be our future hope if all they are studying for is a ONE right answer test ? (ISTEP) How about a little brainstorming ?

July 12, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  45. Charles J Gawrich Sr.

Hi Tony, What should congress do? Vote to re-establish emergercy unemployment benefits. Congress must think that the thousands of law abiding hard working Americans in dire need of these benefits are nothing more than lazy individuals.I dont consider myself lazy.I am a 56 year old industrial electrician, layed off since april of 2009.,after 11 years of service with the company. Lazy? I think not.I have been activley seeking living wage employment in my feild ever since. This is the first time I collected uc benefits of any kind in 40 years. But now, I have exhausted what savings I had to pay bills.This is only one individuals story,there are Im sure thousands more ,with thousands more to follow. Congress needs to act quickly to re- establish these benefits,stop playing this Republican VS Democrat childish game and try something new,Try being Americans helping Americans out of the worst economic times in decades.Oh, Yes, even unemployed Americans without money CAN VOTE IN THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS.ISNT AMERICA GREAT!

July 12, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  46. Abdoul

Unemployment extension should be congress' first priority, followed by a bill on jobs creation.

July 12, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  47. Charise

UNEMPLOYMENT FIRST! Not all of us get the life of liesure the congressman and senators do. How can anybody find a job when they do not have gas money to go to an interview? My experience is the "who knows who" game going on. Sure, I might get an interview, but the company os going through the motions to apease the gov regulations and all the while they have Mr. CEO's nephew in mind for the position. Wasting my time and efforts (mental and financial) along with plenty of false hope. I'm good at what I do and they can get someone to do my job (not near my work quality) for half the price, cuz folks are so desperate out there! I've tried numerous approaches to stand out and know I made lasting impressions. Yet, Mr's CEO's stepdaughter gets the job. AMERICA GETS WORSE, NOT BETTER! Work quality will suffer, worse than all the outsourced robotics of the trained monkeys in customer service, the future of colleges, unhopeful, who wants to pay for that as wages are declined in areas of expertise?, crime grows, law enforcement is not paid enough for putting their lives on the line, Consumer spending DOWN, there goes Walmart and McDonalds. What does it take to have the (our, i.e. taxpayers) government REALIZE REALITY? We the People are Human Beings NOT HUMAN DOINGS! Wake up America, is this the change we voted for? Im so confused, depressed, let down, desperate......... Oh and what about those credit scores that companies rely on when hiring? DUH CONGRESS! DUH SENATORS! AND DUH MR PRESIDENT!

July 12, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  48. erj1958

I also am not happy with the persons who continue to delay in passing the Unemployemnt benefits. There are to many of us out there in the United States that have suffered and are suffering from the econony and the effects of the former administration. Instead of giving all these other countries and US companies that were arogant in there ways and causing some havic for so many people. So much money has be given to help bail them out and so much money is given or loaned to other countries to help them, but they take in considering the American citizen whom is in need of work and not able to find a job that will meet their needs and be able to pay the bills. But in the mean time Unemployment Benefits MUST Be EXTENDED so myself and others have a chance. I myself have been out of full time work from OCT 2009. I was terminated From Blue Cross Blue Shield office here in ABILENE TX. I developed an injury with caused the nerves that Involved the nerves in my elbows which effects parts of my hands. They said that I was not meeting expectations and how could I with this contition I have now and even then I am not able to do certain types work with out a lot of pain and I don't have the cordination like I used to. I am back in school , Texas Work Force Commission is paying for me to go back to school thru WIA/ITA program which is great ..I am going full time. I am not able work full time because of school and i am not exected to. I am a subtitute teacher during the school year all grades. And that helps.
    I really need the the Benefits to continue paying my bills etc. So the persons up there in Washington DC really need to think about all of us that really need the help to get along. Instead of giving it away to others that are not members of our country. United States Of America is our country and the members of it must be considered first!
    A person in need.

July 12, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  49. Shamontiel

The "don't ask, don't tell" is the least important one. This one can wait awhile. The War in Afghanistan funding, seriously, the U.S. has been draining its money into that for 9 years. The Supreme Court nomination is the least of my worries. The jobs bill and unemployment benefits should be taken care of first. THIS is the one that really affects other people, especially considering if people are dropped from unemployment they'll really be in a bind and need some kind of heads-up that they're going to have to find an alternative to pay bills while still looking for a job.

July 12, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  50. Dan M

I wake up every morning still in shock that there's not more of an uproar over Congress cutting Unemployment Benefits for millions of workers with no other way to support themselves and their family. Re-establishing this crucial lifeline in such a terrible economy should be what Congressmen and Senators wake up in shock over as well.

July 12, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  51. nelson

Unemployment benefits beyond 99 weeks from a disabled vet.

July 12, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  52. Toppolina

Yes, unemployment benefits are paramount for the suffering Americans. I hope that congress will extend it so that people can have roofs over their heads and food on their tables for their families, These are tough times and jobs are not easy to get

July 12, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  53. laddie

Fund the cobra subsidy and unemployment. my wife is disabled and her health insurance cobra was cut off. Our great leaders can send Iraq and Afganistan 38 billion in a few weeks but nothing for the american people. Go figure

July 12, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  54. Frederica Bolgouras

It is appalling to think that we the people who are involuntarily unemployed and constantly searching for a new opportunity during this recession are made to feel less than noble when relying on unemployment benefits which we have paid into for years. Could someone please give a new job spec to the Senate?...They seemed to be living in a bubble.

July 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  55. Brandon

Congress should first focus on the future of the United States manned spaceflight program. NASA has been working on the Constellation moon program, but President Obama has proposed it's cancellation. However, NASA cannot legally cancel a program or start a new one without the approval of Congress. So Congress needs to decide whether to continue Constellation, or give NASA a new program to develop. Until Congress decides, NASA is forced to do nothing, and waste time and money on a program that may be going nowhere.

July 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  56. Mary

It is high time America started focusing on Americans. 26 Weeks of unemployment is not enough. The government needs to WAKE UP, and take care of their own before they take care of everyone else. The only reason the unemployment numbers are going down is because congress is to greedy to approve extensions. It is high time to take care of our own before we have another great depression. We are close to one now.

July 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  57. kelly

i think they should extend unemployment benefits past 99 weeks. i am single mother with a special needs child. have exhausted all my unemployment benefits and no way to pay my bills. i have sold everything that i could sell. i have no money coming in and no help. thank you to your politicans for screwing over the american people

July 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  58. Trell

Perhaps just create a get out of debt stimulus, they tend to make those for what they want them for. Yeah, thats a good idea, a 50,000 get out of debt stimulus!!

July 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  59. JackMandaro

well first things first.... PAYCUTS ! congress clearly is overpaid.

July 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  60. Christopher

Any extension of Unemployment insurance benefits is delaying the problem until the United States of America federal government takes effective steps to enforce existing anti-illegal immigration laws. Karl Marx would be proud of America today! The United States of America is the punchline of jokes from around the world!

July 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
  61. Snowbyrd

I am totally confused here, millions are unemployed, the recession is deepening, we have a Democratic majority & we can't receive extended unemployment benefits..? I don't get it but this will be one thing 2 remember when I go the polls..Mr.Obama may just be a "One Hit Wonder"..I am becoming more & more dissatisfied with him as time goes by..

July 12, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  62. Steven

I think if Congress is looking to create Civil Disobedience in this country they are doing a great job of getting it started by not helping the people that bailed out all the big companies such as the banks, car makers Freddie and Fannie it was our taxes that did that. Now the american people need help and Congress denies the little help we ask for. You have already seen an increase in robberies and you will cotinue to see more and more as long as Congress turns there back on the American people.

July 12, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  63. Andy

I feel it's time to NOT renew jobless benefits! The bottom line is that unemployeement benefits make people lazy. Their are plenty of companies that are currently hiring in my city, but most of the unemployeed see this as a step down and rather collect the goverment hand out. Work is work, so if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

July 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  64. Rob

Unemployment benefits should be top priority for congress. The company I recently worked for closed it's business and I am finding it very difficult to find work. I am 49 years old and have been paying taxes for 35 years and sure could use an extension of unemployment insurance benefits. Help!

July 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  65. Donnie

Before its August recess, the Senate needs to pass a VERY strong clean energy/jobs bill. I graduated CU in geology in 1980. We knew then the dark side of oil and other carbon-based fuels. I am astounded that nothing has been done about the problem in the intervening 30 years – and now we have a ruined Gulf of Mexico. The time is long past due for Congress to do what is right for the environment – and thus for jobs, too – rather than for what fills their campaign war chests!

July 12, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  66. Barbara Jackson

Hi Tony,

Personally, I feel that Lawmakers after they come off their recess should focus thier attention on Extending Unemployment, by providing provision for a 5th tier, and not focus on extending the deadline because millions have "exhausted" their unemployment altogether and what we need most is a 5th tier! Our families are suffering because we do not have the means to provide what is needed, to help keep a roof over their head, lights on and food on the table. Please help us by letting out voices be heard.

Godspeed,
    Barbara

July 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  67. Barbie from Hollywood, CA

I'd like to see not only our elected officials from Capitol Hill on down, but every employer/employee in management positions be required to live on $7.25/hour for two months a year – the month of August and November. This includes all CEOs, COOs, etc.

July 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  68. Theresa

The extention for unemployment has been on the table since before the Memorial Day vacation. This Bill affects 2.5 million people thats twice as many people that are left homeless in Hatiti. Unemployment extenton is the house on fire, leaving millions of American workers hanging for 48 days without knowing how they are going to pay thier bills or put food on the table is unjust and inhumane. We were told months ago that the bill extended benefits for 99 weeks so we made our "just in case" plan if I don't get a job I will have x amount of income till xyz date. There was no small print warning that that xyz date may be held up ant any time for no reason what so ever. This hold up for 6 weeks cause a ripple effect we could not warn our landloards, creditors, stock up on food or medicine. The GOP keeps yapping that they are blocking this bill for the sake of the budget the unemployment extention adds less than a 1/4 of 1%. There is no logic behind the argument. If you need to fix your budget at home you don't do it decided to no longer provide support to one of your children. This is the same logic balance the budget by taking money from workers?

July 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  69. Chris E

Unemployment should be number one. Benefits would help the economy.

I am a disabled veteran w/ PTSD and cannot even find part time work with my restrictions. I was on state disability for almost a year and given 12 weeks to find work and was cut off. I feel that disabled americans are being forgotten in this unemployment mess.....

If nothing is done, I will be on the streets, fending for myself.

July 12, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  70. Jo-Anne

Unemployment benefits!!! How can they be so callous to cut people off from unemployment with no jobs in site. I live in California and went on an interview and was told I would be paid minimum wage. I am a college graduate. So the jobs they keep saying are available making what money? In CA what rent can you pay off a minimum wage job, it's ridiculous!!!! My unemployment benefits were more than a minimum wage job. I would take the job if it would pay my rent but it won't! My savings are depleted and I'm trying to find a roommate and no one has answered my ad. People don't even have the money to pay to be a roommate and Congress cut us off from Unemployment Benefits. It makes me angry that as a tax paying citizen who has worked and made very good money at times in my life that when I need my country to have my back they are putting me in a position to live on the street! Not everyone has family with money to help them. I'm on my own. Period.

July 12, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  71. Chris from South Florida

I am one of those underemployed with Unemployment making up the difference between my gross pay and the weekly benefit (I was totally unemployment for 2 yrs before this). I have heard comments stating those unemployed don't look for work, just sit on their butt ... all the people I know that are unemployed are out there looking for work everyday, tightening purse strings and barely have money to put gas in their cars and food on their tables. I was receiving an additional $400 a month to pay my mortgage, living expenses, now I don't know what will happen – my savings are low and all I have is my retirement I may not have a choice to dig in that if something is not passed .. Everyone screams the deficit the deficit well future generations have always paid the deficit of past generations – what is more important giving people money to pay their bills or more foreclosures and bankruptcies. Have those Senators come to FL and try to get a job and./or live on $275 a week (that is under the minimum wage).

July 12, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  72. John

I have lost all faith in our goverment. The fact that our elected representatives almost all seem to agree that it's a better idea to fund an extension on unemployment benefits rather than allow millions of Americans to suffer through forclosures,bankruptcies,and the inevitable continuance ofthe recession(we would be removing $33 billion from the economy) can continue to quibble over where the money is going to come from.I no longer care where the money is coming from,I need a job,and until I can find one, I need help.

July 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  73. Betty

Unemployment benefit extension should be #1. When I do find a job, I sure hope I get one where I have vacation time like Congress. How dare certain members tell us we don't want to work. We are losing the homes we WORKED so hard to buy. In this economy who can afford to live on unemployment benefits? UI literally just keeps me from going homeless. This is very important, but it is not a way to live.

July 12, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  74. dani

The main thing congress should be doing is taking care of the millions of Americans who are struggling to make ends meet. They can bailout WallStreet, who in turn fatten their wallets with bonuses while firing employees. But do nothing for the many Americans who are losing their homes, unemployed and suffering in this recession to put food on the table and pay their bills just to hear congress say 'Let them eat cake!"
    Congress should also focus on Immigration Reform in order to combat Arizona's xenophobic law before it spreads like a virus and destroys some of the core fundamental values we uphold of equality, liberty, and justice for all.

July 12, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  75. george

my unemployment benefits were cut off june 12th. the rent is two weeks late, and the telephone and internet will be cut off today. we need this extension to keep a roof over our heads. i am begging congress to PLEASE ACT TODAY.

July 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  76. Joyce Thompson

What is happening to America?

Tax outsourced companies & products. If the jobs are outsourced overseas, then the US companies should have to pay US income taxes on the outsource employees. The resulting products should have big US import taxes. This will bring jobs back to the US & generate more products produced in the US. Made in the USA! should be the norm, not the contrary.

Congress should not be able to vote themselves raises. Especially when so many people are out of work, with significantly reduced or no income (no longer on Unemployment Benefits & underemployed), & unable to secure affordable health insurance (higher expenses). not to mention food & housing expenses skyrocketing.

Also, with Medicare issues coming forth, doctors are turning away the older population because they can't afford to accept them? Save $$$, Congress should have the same health benefits as Medicare, which would change their outlook on health insurance considerably. Why is it Congress gets the free ride when Americans have to foot the bills?

America needs to pull our heads out of the sand!!!! It is time for the government to return to "Government For the People"!!!!

July 12, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  77. Mikey

1. End 5.5 Billion /month funding war in Afghanistan.
    2.SPEND 5.5 BILLION A MONTH rebuilding OUR schools,infrastructure,parks ect. Hire Americans people to do this.
    3.Listen to Paul Vocker, we want real financial reform. If it happens again it will devistate this country and the polititions will be the first ones affected.
    4. Extend unempolyment benifits.
    5.Fill supreme court
    6. Let any brave soul willing to serve and protect America do so ,regardless of sexual orentation.
    7.Campain finance reform NOW.

July 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  78. Eric Persons

With unemployment in my county at 15% and with our lawmakers dragging their butts it's obvious to many many of us what needs to be done and when. NOW!! PASS the UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION..

July 12, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
  79. dave

how can these people go home to there big houses and get driven around all day long by drivers when there are family's that cant put food on the table Unemployment should be 1st on the to do list

July 12, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  80. sandy

1. Jobs
    2. Jobs
    3. Jobs
    Nothing helps if people aren't able to find jobs.

July 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
  81. Hector V

Hi Tony,
    Unemployment Benefits should be the number one priority.
    I am 49 years old and have been looking for work for 14 months.

I just filed for my last check and have no idea what i am going to do now. Unemployment has kept a roof over our heads and food on the table. After this check I can lose my car,home,etc. without any income coming in.
    I live in rural PA. and believe me without a car out here you can not get anywhere. I as well as millions of others are in the same situation. We need the extension. Why do the republicans (My Party At That) want to make things worse? Haven't they done enough already.

I can not believe that the goverment officials we voted into office are not looking out for our welfare. What The Hec Is Going On Here.....

July 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm |
  82. Al B

Unemployment should be first on the agenda before angry citizens form a mob and head to Washington with pitchforks and torches!

July 12, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
  83. Danielle Knight

Unemployment benefits should come first!! As people of Congress take a not so needed vacation millions of americans are struggling to put food on the table. Something needs to be done now!

July 12, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  84. lasheila cameron

i live in michigan (wayne) the government just sent money here for those that are receveing unemployment benefits to aid those to keep there homes. For two years i have been trying to get help. My husband is a vetern and we have a va loan on our home. Do you know that no programs to keep your home we qualify for ? because the v.a. does is not participating in any of these programs. There are no, I repeat no programs for those with v.A guaranteed loans for us to keep our homes. As well as no help from the veterns administration. So All veterns such as us. are losing our home. But the president said "no veterns will be homeless". No true plz someone helps us please, he cannot possibles no that these programs are not helping veterns that have lost there jobs and are losing there homes. please help me.

July 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  85. NEAT Production

Unemployment benefits... as of today over 2.1 million Americans are waiting for this.

July 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  86. Nancy Buck

Shame on you, all of you, I'm a 60 year woman that lost a job after 11.5 years for no fault of my own. How am I to live for 2 years till I can draw my SS? I'm to old I'm told to find a job becaure there are thousands of people looking for the same jobs 1/2 my age with pleanty of experience. What if it was your mom or grandma, would you feel the same way? Let me draw my SS early and I['ll leave the unemployment alone. and don't tax me on the 401 k I've earned that I could live on .

July 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
  87. Corey Bailey

I'm a Union Ironworker in Nevada. I'm on a long list of workers waiting for work. My kids & I NEED Unemployment first before jobs are created! Creation of jobs takes longer than minimal weekly unemployment benefits that pay for our home & food. Without benefits we will be on the streets and getting a job thats created months from now will be a bit harder to obtain then.

July 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  88. Debbie

I believe that they should focus on the Unemployment issue and do so immediatly. I cant believe that they took a vacation. i do not know what a vacation is!!!!! The government is the reason I have no job to begin with. They acted quickly to close the company down only to cone back two weeks later and state they acted to harshly. To harsh!!!! I now have not job, cant find one and oh yes I look for jobs every single day of my life now. I would love to have one, but there are none. Pass this NOW!!!!!!!

July 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  89. Brenda

How is leaving those of us on Unemployment without a way to pay our rent, bills and feed our kids helping the economy?? I'm a single mom of 3 kids, I haven't been unemployed that long, yet my benefits end without much notice and leave me with no way to feed my children? I'm looking for work daily. Those that haven't passed the extended benefits should be ashamed of themselves and this needs to happen immediately!

July 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  90. Amy

Who's living the "American Dream"? Congress? Hope you enjoyed your vacation...must be nice. Are they blind or do they not have any compassion for the millions of AMERICANS that now have NO income. What a slap in the face to not make the Unemployment Extention matter urgent. Who wouldn't love to go on vacation, right? Many of us haven't been able to go on a vacation in years because of unnecessary high gas prices and a failing economy. There are no jobs...and the companies who are hiring are totally taking advantage of people that are desperate to find a job...they pay peanuts now!! It's a total outrage that they would cause additional stress to the American people who have already been struggling long enough.

July 12, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  91. Wendy

UNEMPLOYMENT!! Ever notice there seems to be an increase in bank/convience store robberies? Can not say that I have not thought about it. My husband hasn't been able to find a job in 14 mos. There's almost NOTHING out there to find.
    America – the land of the outsourced jobs & hey, why not spend....what trillions?...on the F'ing place called Iraq and Afganistan.

Why would Congress think about the Americans that are actually starving out there? Cuz making $120k + a year, who's starving???
    Thanks Congress.

July 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  92. Chris

My frustration with the Senate is Palpable!
    Unemployment is the ONLY ISSUE !
    I am Sick and Tired of the Mud Slinging that takes up the LIMITED time the Senate is ACTUALLY Working.
    The Arrogance!!!
    For them to leave Americans with no income while they enjoy the life and benifits that we the poeple afforded them is incomprehesible!!
    It is Time for the USA to look inward!
    Our Foundation is Cracking and our Government is far to Concerned with the Trial and Tibulations of other countries while their own go Hungry!

July 12, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  93. kathleen

Like many of these post I am waiting for the little help that congress can give us. I did not choose to have no job, the company I worked for closed and made that choice for me. I have two college degrees and have had no luck finding employement. Congress needs to have their paychecks turned off and all the help from the goverment (which I helped put money into!) turned off on them. That little bit helps. in the mean time help create new jobs instead of taking another vacation!!

July 12, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  94. Kim

#1 Priority should be unemployment benefits being extended. I don't understand this so called America we live in. The House of Representatives approved the bill for Extended Unemployment Benefits on July 1st. But, now we have to sit and wait for the Republicans to take their luxuary vacations on Yachts eating Cavaier, Lobster or whatever extravagant meals they prefer. That's not getting my rent paid. In another week without my unemployment I will be on the street. These people we owe money to needs it as well as we do to pay their bills. So the Senate needs to get off of their HighHorse for a while and take a look at America right now not in the future. Because as far as I can see there will be no future America it will be taken over due to Our so called Senate. We need HELP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 12, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  95. Joann

Are you serious? Unemployment! My husband and I have four children and we are both out of work now. He just lost his job. We were barely making it but thankful. Now we cant pay our bills. Please help us. This may not mean anything to congress but it means our lives and survival. The Lord is my sheppard and I shall not want, but I will wait on the Lord.

July 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
  96. david orta

senate should pass the bill as soon as possible.. there's way to many families hurting right now

July 12, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
  97. Nina

Unemployment should be first on the list. This is so important. My husband is now without benefits for 5 weeks. Chase bank is continually calling me for my 2 months mortgage payment. I've cut back everywhere that I can. I'm starting a new job at the end of July that pays not much more than minimum wage. How do we survive on this? What is happening to our country? The unemployed has been stereotyped as being lazy and not wanting to look for a job. This is so untrue. Try being over 50 and starting all over again. This isn't fair. We have paid our taxes, lived according to the laws of the land, helped each other and foreign countries in need, and served in the military. It hurts, we are hurting. Can't the government see this? Please help us. Reinstate the unemployment benefits.

July 12, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  98. Cindy G

Unemployment! It is scandalous that the Republicans blocked extending UE benefits and then went on a break! They are hurting the very Americans that they are supposed to be representing. Also, UE recipients pay taxes – the same taxes that pays their salary!. With 5 applicants for every job (according to NBC news), it is imperative to bring back benefits and reinstate the tax breaks to small businesses so that they can hire! The waterfall effect on the economy by cutting off benefits is also an issue – no money – no spending. Please reinstate the benefits!

July 12, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  99. Vanessa Barnes

I, as most people have worked all our lives to live the american dream. Since I have been laid off, and not able to find a job, my american dreams have been shattered. I feel Congress care more about sending monies abroad then saving their own people in this bad economy. If Congress doesn't extend unemployment benefits, this country you will start seeing a lot of suicide. Please choose carefully.

July 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
  100. Anthony L. Brown

1 ) Unemployment Benefits
    2 ) Jobs Bill
    3 ) Finacial Reform ( already in motion )
    4 ) A Supreme Court Nomination
    5 ) Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy On Gat's in The Military (waste of time)
    6 ) Funding For The War In Afghanistan

July 12, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
  101. tp

Unemployment Benefits is the first thing those rich old people should take care of, the money goes right back into the economy. How many poor americans have a savings account, less the 10 % ???

July 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  102. Amy

I think that the Unemployment benefits and our soldiers funding, the financial bills of all sorts should take top priority. The "don't ask don't tell" issue is trivial and actually has no place taking up valuable time in my opinion. And if the Congress has an issue with this "time crunch", then I say they should just stay put and work "overtime" like any normal person would when important business needs to be attended to.

July 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  103. Yolanda Hood

The congress should make unemployment their main concern. I'm a unemployed single mother of two, I can't afford to pay rent for my family. So, with that being said, "What do I do now"? I can't afford to buy gas for my vehicle. Please extent the benefits. I NEED THE UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS.

July 13, 2010 at 4:40 am |
  104. Russell T Zimmerman Jr.

I just feel this is getting ridiculas.I had no warning that my EB was able to be cut.Me and my family are barley staying afloat.This really has to get done and fast.When you are collecting you depend on that money,now I just hope we can keep our head above water until this bill is hopefully passed!

July 13, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  105. Jerry KY

Unemployment should be # one. What about those whom have lost benefits and owe back taxes to the IRS, child Support, medical bills and the legals fees attached to these monetary obligations. Is there possible jail time? Our government has to be aware of these situations not to mention the taxes lost on unemployment compensation payouts.

July 13, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  106. kent

Congress has an approval rating of less than 20% so they should quit congress and find a job they are good at. We don"t need to fund the occupation of afghanistan, and we don't need to pay people to stay at home. Removing the 12 million illegals would provide 8 million jobs for the unemployed who really want to work. Congress is not going to break up the large banks and they are not going to end derivatives trading so financial reform is as wortless as congress..

July 13, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  107. Jim C

Along with all the others, it is obvious what should be addressed first, unemployment benefits. I am 57 years old and have been out of work for over two years, just like many others have applied for everything under the sun. My age is working against me along with my limited physical abilities. Applying for jobs below your career is a total waste of time because they think you wont stay once things get better. The job pool is just like Amway, saturated and everybody is fighting for the same job. This cant possibly be allowed to continue. We need unemployment benefits and more jobs period. This has a trickle effect and not for the better, people are desperate trying to feed their families and some will stop at nothing to accomplish it. Why are we forcing people in this country to measures such as these?

July 13, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  108. Dora Smith

I've been looking for part time work right along wtih full time work, and I've been looking for industrial and janitorial jobs along with clerical jobs and data entry. Employers with part time jobs usually don't want me because I don't have a clear reason to just want to work for him forever part time. Even though I have 15 years experience as a hotel maid and five years as a janitor, those employers won't hire me because they have enough people who have never done anything else and they don't believe I want to do that. There are no entry level or semiskilled industrial jobs in Austin. In clerical and data entry work I consistently interview with 50 or 60 people for each opening – asopposed to 30 people for each opening last year. I am 53, with some health problmes, and cannot do quite a number of jobs, such as hard physical labor and working 3rd ship.

I just got my last unemployment payment until Congress passes that extension. I don't know how I am paying the August rent.

July 13, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  109. Tony

McCain, McConnell, and all the republican senators vote against this extension. Take their pay raise, deny SS COLA and some are on Medicare along with their government insurance. Do people who qualify for Medicare but have HUGE incomes really need to be putting more strain on the system? No! It is simply greed. They do not have to sign up and are not signed up automatically. Many reports are made about McCain’s' gambling problems now he is not concerned about the unemployed people who are facing the stress alone. I pray that they are strong enough to handle it or seek out a psychologist's help. Any suicide caused by these pressures should be a wrongful death lawsuit against the GOP (Greed Our Policy). Whatever happened to the power of referendum? We need to pay our DEAR PUBLIC SERVANTS (local, state, and federal) by a simple plan. Every policy making official can earn (salary and donations from lobbyists totaled) than $1000 over the median income of the states and/or cities the represent.

July 13, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  110. Mikey

1,Stop spending 5.5 billion dollars a MONTH in Afghanistan.
    2, If Iraq is such a success why do we still have 60,000 American soldiers there ?Get us the hell out of there.
    3,Start spending 5.5 Billion dollars a month HERE IN THE U.S.
    We need NEW SCHOOLS,ROADS ,BRIDGES,BUSSES,TRAINS,CITIES REBUILT, ECT.ECT.ECT.
    Hire Americans to rebuild America.
    4,We should not prohibit a person is who is brave enough to go to war for this country from doing so base on sexual preferance.

July 13, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  111. Ms. Jackson - Ohio

Extending unemployment benefits should be first priority. Creating jobs should be second. What do they think is going to happen to the economy if people cannot pay rent, mortgages, car notes or even buy food and clothing for their families. There are too many people out of work and not enough jobs. I have been unemployed for 7 months and my benefits have ran out. I can barely go on interviews because I have no bus fare. This is a no brainer......we need this unemployment extension!!!! We the average working american need a bail out too!!

July 13, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  112. Travis

It just not rite I'd like those yahoos up in washinton to call me lazy to my face! Where I live u can't find a mini wage job I now I've tryed to turn the lights out on my family to make my kids do with out food is apauling I've worked all my life and not a 99er where is the humen decency! Travis Alabama

July 13, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  113. Ms.Jackson

Congress should put the unemployment beniefts first on there list, do to the fact that the people there trying to bell out with forclousures , morgage payments are the one's on unemployment. Also if they don't extend the unemployment they'll find more people in trouble then ever, familys will become homeless, and they'll have more problems then they have now.

July 13, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
  114. Daniel G

1. Unemployment Benefits
    2. Unemployment Benefits
    3. Unemployment Benefits
    4. Stop wasting money on Bush – Cheney – Blackwater's Profiteer War.
    5. Take war spending money and put towards Jobs bill.
    (Pull back from all of our NATO bases to save money.)

July 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  115. Jacqueline - OK

I know several of us need this! How many of you think this will pass?

July 13, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  116. Bob

Tony, How about Having Robin Hood Take from the rich tax increase and give it to the poor and unemployed. This should make the Republicans happy! We found a way to pay for it.

July 13, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  117. caf

I have been out of work only 6months and they cut me off. Why are they doing this to people. And today my car broke down and can't get it fixed because I need money to live. So my question congress if everyone on unemployment lost their home Can't vote for congress with no address and that will be alot of votes. And that is a alot of votes. I think the Pres have made them stay and on vacation if it was one of us at a job the boss would want you to finish first.

July 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  118. Robert

unemployment benefits should be first priority. I voted all my life. I will never vote again. I've been looking for a job for over 8 months. Theres no work. Please tell congress to pass this bill and stop playing with people lives. Enough is Enough

July 13, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  119. Hector V

Hey Tony,
    I forgot to metion when I wrote you yesterday, there should a way where these comments can be seen & read by Congress & the Senate. Mabey then, they will understand the immediate need to extend unemployment benefits for all 2.5 million of us.

Stop worrying about how to pay for it.....the money to pay for the extension should come from all of our tax money you are using to help other contries.

Whats so different now? is it because we have a President who wants to change & you all want it business as usual.
    Well hec no.....we're in trouble here. You need to stop helping all these contries in trouble and start helping us, The citizens of the USA who by the way are in big trouble.... Work for us first, then help others.

July 13, 2010 at 8:41 pm |
  120. steven gravely

congress needs to pass the unemployment extension,it's really rough out here,you have 300 people applying and fighting for one or two job openings,we really are looking for work,but we need this extension to help keep us a float,until the economy changes.

July 13, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  121. Rebecca

They should focus on jobs, and not assume that the jobs are available, (there not!!!) and people are too lazy to take them. They they need to provide Unemployment Benefits until there REALLY are jobs out there!!!
    I'm a month away from being homeless, while they took a week off for vacation!!! Unbelievable!!!

July 14, 2010 at 4:12 am |
  122. Mike

I think UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS should be the first thing on the todo list.I been unemployment for a year and half now.I been working non stop since i was 16 years old and lost my job last year.I have applied to at least 40 jobs over the year and half and still havent found one and the sad part is I want to work.Now that they cut off the beneifts it make it more harder to pay bills.How congress going to go on vacation wit all this going on.Remember we voted for you to be in the office and I show dont have a problem voteing u out of office too.This dont make no sense for real.CONGRESS need to do better if they still want to have there job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 14, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  123. David Blair

Unfortunately I am dependent on unemployment just to feed my family. What do I do while congress is on vacation? Please get this passed.

July 14, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  124. Edie

I,m going to school in hopes it will help n me find a job. If the extention doesn,t come through soon I,ll have to drop out because I can't afford gas. I was laid off after 21 years due to the economy, At my age it's hard to find anything. I can't understand how congress can do this to the American people.

July 14, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
  125. Chris

Of course UNEMPLOYMENT FIRST, unless congress wants their states stampeded with food stamp and benefit applications! I also think the crime rates would increase due to the delay in unemployment.

July 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  126. Lee

To the members of Congress who have compassion for the unemployed, we thank you. For the ones that do not.....Try imagining yourself without that cushy job on Capitol Hill and actually looking for a real job like we are trying to do, maybe you might feel our pain. There are millions of hard working people like myself that cannot get as much as a phone call or even a rejection letter to show that their resume/application was even received. Yes, everyone deserves a vacation, but finish business first that takes priority then go. For Congress to not even act on a decision since July 12th is totally inhumane. There would be a lot more money around if the US takes care of their country first before worrying about other countries that could give a rats behind about ours. GET TO WORK CONGRESS!

July 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
  127. Daniel

I have been unemployed since April 2009, in my area of georgia there are no jobs. I started going to college in August of 2009 and will have my associate's degree by Dec. 2010. My unemployment check helps me pay for basic necessities rent, lights, food, while I go to school. Now I have been cut-off since June 2010 because congress wants the economy to live and the unemployed to just go away. It's scary that I may end up homeless through no fault of my own, but because senators in Washington, D.C. want to play politics with benefits; Banks, Big Business, and people in other countries is all the senators care about!

July 15, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  128. Tyler

Your reporter just gave a report on the intense situation regarding extending federal unemployment benefits and I thank you for bringing attention to this dire matter however your reporter incorrectly stated that the most a unemployed person can get for unemployment benefits is 99 weeks. This is not true because the hold up in congress has caused ALL federal extensions to be expired. No one is getting federal extensions until congress approves the extensions. This is a example of government letting down the middle america. I would love to find a job. I have been actively looking for 4 months now. I did not cause this financial downturn, it was the government who is responsible and now they need to step up and do the right thing.

July 15, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  129. Laura Fleischer

I just signed up for unemployment in April it runs out in October, 26 weeks. No extentsion without congress passing the pending bill. I am a Biochemist in Michigan. My husband has been unemployment since September 2008. We are 61 and 62, too young to retire too old to hire. We lose everything come October without the extension. No 99 weeks anymore. Laura

July 15, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  130. LENIN

It takes tragedy to change some peoples lives.Cutting unemployment benefits should be considered a tragedy.How would a person respond due to a tragedy, would that person loose it all or become desperate.
    Ask yourself "AMERICA" what would you do when their is no solution, no help, everything u reach out for is not responsive like a job.Maybe congress should put their feet in these shoes and see what they would do.Playing with peoples lives is not the right way to go about this unless this is what our leaders want.Anyone that fears their life is in jeapordy is in titled to react if they want to keep on living.Survival is an instinct in all animals (this is when good people go bad if neccessary).Passing this bill would help and prevent some tragedies for people who have paid for this from their taxes which have been used for all the wrong things that got us in this mess anyway.DONT RUIN PEOPLES LIVES BECAUSE OF YOUR MISTAKES!

July 15, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  131. Jimmy Wayne

I am listening to the reports of 99 weeks of unemployement benifits. I lost my benifits this week and applied January 2010. After 6 months I am told there is no extensions. What can you report on this that may help me.
    JW

July 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  132. Tom sanger CA

Either extend unemployment benefits and create jobs for people to get off unemployment or Consider lowering the retirement age. This opens up multiple jobs right now and I would bet paying retirement checks are a lot cheaper than paying unemployment checks.

July 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  133. Mike B

Just received my last unemployment check today. (I was laid off in January after 16 years with my last job). I have already dipped into my 401K to pay off as many bills as possible. I'm 55, and it doesn't look very good for me getting a job right away. As a "former Republican"...I would ask the people who voted against the extension-"what am I supposed to do now?"...

July 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  134. Karen

Congress needs to get busy, and help the unemployed. Most of us, it is not our fault that we are unemployed,and most of us are busy looking for work. In the meantime, we need HELP, and NOW>

July 15, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  135. Mikey

1,Stop spending 5.5 BILLION A MONTH in Afghanistan.
    2,Start spending 5.5 BILLION A MONTH in the U.S.A.,rebuilding our Schools,Hwys.,Cities,Trains,ect.ect.ect.
    3,Do not even think about EXTENDING BUSHES TAX CUTS.
    DO NOT say that they did not increase the deficit and unemployment insurance does.THAT IS A LIE!
    You Patriots and fiscal conservitives either the deficit is an issue or it is not. If it is ,start paying for the JOB Losses,two wars and the other red ink we aquired under the tax cuts . START THINKING OF OUR COUNTRY AND NOT THE TOP 2% AS THE TAX CUTS WERE THE BIGGIST TRANSFER OF WEALTH FROM THE MIDDLE CLASS TO THE TOP 2%THIS COUNTRY CAN NOT AFFORD THEM. DO NOT PRETEND THEY WERE NOT.
    4,Any body brave enough to go to war need not explain to me how his or her love life is any business of mine.
    5,Fill the Supreme court my god act like this country is more important than your political party.
    6,We need CAMPAIN FINANCE REFORM so our politicans are working for OUR interests and not some lobbist who contribute the most to their campains LIKE BIG INSURANCE,BIG MEDICINE,BIG HEALTHCARE,AND BIG FINANCE, until then this is what we get.
    7,WE NEED THE VOLKER AMENDMENT AND LARGE OVERSIGHT OVER OUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS,HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO BE ROBBED OF OUR 401KS ?

July 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  136. Charlie from West Virginia

What Congress' top priority should be, is to DO SOME WORK!

July 17, 2010 at 7:23 am |
  137. Andrew Liebeknecht

Crisis in the Gulf:
    OK. We have a cap that appears to be working, devised by a plumber. First of all, fire and blackball all those expert engineers that have been doing nothing for over 3 months. Second, 48 hours of shutting it down, when it's been running consistently for over 3 months is WAY better than any of them did, so let's take the test a face value and admit that your experts are idiots, pay the developer his or her just due. Lastly, if the current cap fails, let's do it again and again, slowing down the oil. Also, whatever happened to those relief wells, seems BP is more worried about their profits and catching the oil than saving the ecosystem they are destroying. Once this is under control BP should be the only company that CAN'T drill in the gulf until all the spilled oil is cleaned up. Just a thought, punishment fit the crime, and this was a crime.

July 17, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  138. mike4ever

What should really happen if for the president to give congress an extended without pay for about 6 months. along with no benefits and I bet everyone of them will be back to work in less than 24 hours because for one their families will be ready to leave them high and dry. When they can't put gas in all the cars they drive or go visit the local bar for their drinks they start working real fast. Give them all a year work without pay and you will see a big difference. What do Obama have to lose they hate him anyway maybe then they will learn to stop saying no to everyything.

We have to treat them the way the parents back in the day used to punish their children when they would not listen, ground them and take away their allowance. For congress take away their pay and their families will do the grounding. Then they will have some respect for this president because then they will see he mean business and until he is elected out he is the man in charge. So they need to get working.

July 18, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
  139. Mike

Once again I'm amazed at how we can take care of other countries, 7.5 billion for Pakistan, and not take care of our own people.
    We continue to ignore the unemployed, mostly ignored by Republicans, while we fund wars and nation building.
    This is one more argument for term limits, or maybe for just a general revolt by the people for the people.
    It is shameful that we can pass judgement or make outrageous statements about how unemployment begets unemployment while those very people continue to collect a paycheck and the peoples expense.
    Share on everyone who is holding up the benefits, balance the budget on someone elses back

July 19, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  140. Bev HB

Thank You for sharing an unbias report about the events with Shirley Sherrod.
    It is a shame that there are still some news reporters like Glenn Beck who are still fighting the Civil War. We are all Americans and race , religion and etc should not be used as a tool to encourage further racial division in this country. Thank God for people like yourself who are unbias and will to present both sides to the nations.
    God Bless You