Today on CNN Newsroom

July 24th, 2010

Coming Up on this CNN Saturday Morning...

TJ Holmes soars into the 21st century with his first twitvid.

Kate Bolduan shares anchor duties when CNN Saturday Morning begins, 6am ET/ 3am PT.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

American Industry what ever happened building quality products America use to make things that last for years at a larger cost but now all we make is junk as well import someone else's junk our country has become disposible and so has our economy we need to recreate a nation of pride in our workmanship we need new industry with new foresight .

July 24, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  2. Emil

Ask Rev Jesse Jackson is there was a white national anthem what would he say ? don't think he'd have the same comments i'll bet my last dallor on that.
    Have him come to Toronto, Canada and see how we live together with all people. Race is not a issue everyone has a place in this country

Emil
    Toronto, Canada

July 24, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  3. Marcus in Greensboro, NC

I am a 27 year old black man in Greensboro, NC, and I think the song is part of our heritage. Remember the same argument is used about the Confederate flag. Also, it has been less than 50 years since the Civil Rights Act was signed. Things are going to take a while to change. Generations have lived with our horrible history so it is going to take time.

July 24, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  4. Paul

A black national anthem?

If the black community wants to reverse the progress we have made they should continue to seek "separate" organizations. BET, black tea party, and now a black national anthem. What do they think that the non-black population will think about that? If Jesse Jackson truly think there is a need for a black national anthem does he want a black nation as the new black panthers want? Slavery ended long ago and it is time to move on.

July 24, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  5. Martino Harmon

I am commenting on the story about the "Black National Athem" being divisive. Professor Askew's case is misguided. The song is called "Left Every Voice" and if you just go by the title of the song everyone can sign the song and apply it to whatever experience they want. Hopefully Whites will not run from the real meaning because of shame, because that is what it is, but if we just call it by the real title there is no issue. Unfortunately his argument will be used as a silly reason to get rid of this beautiful song that reflects the AMERICAN experience!

July 24, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  6. Jim J

TJ Holmes– Black National Anthem
    United we stand, divided we fall.......
    If the Latinos, Asians, Muslims and other groups all develop thier own National Anthems it will lead to the end of the Union. Multicultural countries tend to dissolve, as demonstrated by the former Yugoslavia and current civil wars going around the world today.
    E pluribis unum........
    We must assimulate into an American culture, first, whatever that is.... and place our individual heritages as a secondary priority.

July 24, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  7. Carmen Richardson

First learn the history. The Black National Anthem was originally a poem by James Weldon Johnson titled Lift Every Voice and Sing. Secondly, the issue is not the song or the lyrics, its the intrepretation and instruction of this historical poem. Throughout all the body of work of James Weldon Johnson, this poet celebrates the struggle of African-Americans in their quest to be included in this great country we call America. The poem was orginally written to honor Abraham Lincoln and performed by young children to introduce Brooker T. Washington who was the civil rights leader of his day. This poem is not about separation but about inclusion.

July 24, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  8. CB

I watched with dismay your interview with Jesses Jackson and the gentleman advocating getting rid of The Negro National Anthem.

What a ridiculous argument!
    African Americans need to be very careful that they don't contine to be "snookered" into denying their histoyr and cultural attributes. Only a fool would buy iino this asinine argument.

July 24, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  9. Ballard

About T.J. Holmes:
    We're very impressed with T.J. Holmes. Personally, I like his confidence, subject matter knowledge, and the way he makes those he interviews feel comfortable. I want him to be encouraged as he moves forward with CNN. He looks good on TV and that's a good thing for viewers.We wish him well.

July 24, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  10. Carletta Davis

Hi TJ,

I saw your show this morning with the professor and Rev. Jackson. I am a african-american from the south. I feel that removing Lift every voice and sing from being our national anthem is setting us back to not realizing our history or seeing our history. It has not been so long ago that black history was not included in history books what soever. As well as indian history and other non white history facts. Youth of our culture must understand without knowing our history we would be destined to repeat it. Race has not been openly discussed until we got a black president. Whereas we had been hearing the racial divide in this country no longer existed we see now that it is there and has been for a very longer time. I feel the african-american and other races have been saying this all along however it was discredit with my former statement. We must not let our history diejust because people in later generation who were not there feel uneasy about what there ancestors put blacks through. Moreover we must not ignore the facts of history as we go through our present and plan for our future,again this make us vunerable to repeat the past.

July 24, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  11. Greg

TJ
    I am a public school teacher in a major urban setting. First...I agree that we need MAJOR reform in both the public educational system as well as the unions. But please research the full story....public school teachers have very little control over one element that is critical to success....the parents and the home life. I challenge anyone to stand behind their statement that this is an excuse. Believe me it is not.

July 24, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  12. Beth

I applaud your education contributor for saying what many people believe but few have the courage to say because they are shouted down by teachers' unions who only care about protecting their own jobs. Why shouldn't teachers be held accountable for their performance? If I don't do a good job, I get fired. Period. In New York, where I live, teachers only lose their jobs through budget cuts or incredibly inappropriate or illegal behavior, not because they don't know how to teach. Ineffective educators are protected by their unions, who unfortunately have great influence over state and local lawmakers. It's disgraceful. D.C. has the right idea.

July 24, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  13. Richard

Who demanded a video game with a graffiti artist? I never tagged around like a maniac. I got a tag from a school kid I went to school. That year when that KMD album came out my school desk ran tagged all over my homeroom teacher who is an English teacher had to clean it with Clorox. That was the weirdest time for me as a student living in NJ. I guess taken out of NYC at that time period was a problem for someone. I guess for the politicians.

July 24, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  14. Richard

I collected a whole bunch of Wu-Tang music from that HOT97. I guess HOT97 is everywhere. I remember those posters probably transsexuals put them over there where I lived. Never buy a music CD every again.

July 24, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
  15. Richard

I am not autistic. I guess that is probably why they made that music.

July 24, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  16. Richard

I am not violent. Ohh but the military would like me, the DEA, ATF, I learned to shoot a gun last year.

July 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  17. Terry Mott

Internet/Cell Phone Racial Divide is an interesting concept but there is an truth to the Internet/Cell Phone racial divide. Look for example, the controversial situation when Kanye West takes the microphone from Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV Awards and rant about Beyonce. Now today, on Reality T.V. Shows, like American Idol and America's Got Talent the viewers vote or text in their votes with cellphones. There again is a racial divide where white contestants win the top awards (more white teenage age girls stay close, network and live with their cell phones 24-7, and more access to cell service).

In Sweden, Government give every child a allowance for a "cell phone paid for from the government",where access is given to all.

July 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  18. Nik

When are you all gonna Blog/Research/Expose the "Blogger" who tried to take down Shirley? Hmmm

July 24, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  19. Mattie Nelson

I do think the story should have been checked out. With race being such a sensitive matter and very very real. I can see it from the presidents point of view. However, had it been a white person they (white boss) would have said, let's see what this is all about. There is a double standard in the white vs black situations.

Just a thought,
    Mattie

July 24, 2010 at 8:09 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 19,832 other followers