Today on CNN Newsroom

July 27th, 2010

Hold the mouse droppings, please!

Sports fans expect to pay high prices for stadium food, but they don't always consider the food borne illnesses that may be laying in wait under their bun.

According to ESPN, it recently reviewed the results of health department inspections conducted at more than one-hundred professional sports stadiums. Those inspections reveal that food vendors violated several health code violations.

Inspectors found employees who do not wash their hands, food stored at the wrong temperature and past their expiration dates and cockroaches, just to name a few.

The Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. was one of the worst. It was reported as having 100% of vendors in violation, with mouse droppings found at at least 10 different vendors.

We want to know- What is your most disgusting stadium or arena experience? Share your stories below and Kyra will read some during the 10am ET hour of the CNN Newsroom.

Want to know if your stadium or arena is among the dirtiest? Check out the article here.

Filed under: Anchors • CNN Newsroom • Kyra Phillips
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

I dont eat at sport events they charge too much for the extra ingredients .

July 27, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  2. Mac K- Florida

Worse, than over-priced,and now apparently contaminated, food, these stadiums don't let people bring in their own SAFE food! Why would I ever want to patronize one of those stadiums? I'll watch on TV in my own home where the kitchens and bathrooms are clean!

July 27, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  3. Jeffrey Hartman

Is there a list of how every stadium so I can see how the ones in my area rate?

July 27, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  4. Richard Erwin

I am an American who lived in England for a while. I am on the way to England and will go to see a soccer game at the Carrow Road stadium in Norwich. The soccer team is partially owned by celebrity chef Delia Smith and the food at the stadium is really good and the restaraunt at the stadium is outstanding.

July 27, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  5. Healthy1

Words of wisdom. The next time anyone eats at any establishment other than their home, ask the waiters or waitress' "Who's your Exterminator"? If the answer is anything other than a local firm that you're aware of......run out of there immediately. If they can't give you an legit answer it's because there isn't one. I know it sounds crazy, but Exterminators and Health Inspectors work hand in hand. If you don't believe me, all I ask of you is to simply ask the question I just posed and watch the their facial expression. I've been in the business for a number of years. I know longer eat out.

July 27, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  6. Eric

Glad to see the ones in Canada are amongst the cleanest stadiums. Too bad Kyra didn't share that for her Canadian audience. Especially since she is going to marry John Roberts who is from Canada.

July 27, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  7. Mark

Here's part of a piece I published in the LA Times that goes to the uccky ballpark food issue:

As a kid, I got a summer job as a ballpark vendor. Vendors received no salary. Their sole remuneration was 20% of sales. Being smart for my age, I realized that this meant that selling a higher-priced item was better than selling a cheaper one. "Little Coke," which sold for 15 cents, lay at the bottom of the vending heap. For every cup I sold, I'd make 3 cents. To make $30, I'd have to sell 1,000 cups. The Cubs were drawing about 11,000 fans a day then, and there were 20 or so other guys selling little Coke. For a day's work I was going to make roughly the price of a Baby Ruth.

The soft-drink trays that vendors carried were made of open mesh steel. The caps on the Coke cups carried in these trays leaked like sieves. As a result, by the sixth inning the vendors selling Coke had long dark stains on their pants, running roughly from their belts to their ankles. This did not encourage sales.

During one of my summers, someone in the front office devised a plan for dealing with the unsightly manifestation of the spillage problem (to be distinguished from the spillage problem itself). The cups would be placed in a plastic tub. When the Coke spilled, it would be caught in the tub and discarded.

The Beta test went perfectly. Coke spilled into the tub, the tub was emptied, vendors' trousers stayed dry, and customers bought Cokes after the sixth inning.

We vendors who were given the trays quickly realized another advantage of the new arrangement. It was a simple matter to retrieve used Coke cups from waste bins, fill them with the tub spillage, and crown them with discarded plastic lids. This recycled product could then be sold for a commission of 100%. To maximize this incidental income, my colleagues and I took to bouncing down the stadium aisles, leading management to believe theirs was an exceptionally happy ship.

July 27, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  8. Dan

My worst experience from sports stadium food vendors was, I recall, as a child in the 70's going to a baseball game with my dad and some of his co-workers at Tiger stadium.
    The Hot Dog vendor going up and down the rows was selling hot dogs, but at the same time was picking the wax out of his ear.
    Disgusting. Needless to say, I told my dad I wasn't hungry.
    We stopped at McDonalds on the way home and ate.

July 27, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  9. Darlene Clark

My family and I are huge Pistons fans, so for my 50th birthday a couple years ago, we went to Charlotte, NC for the weekend and to catch the Pistons/Bobcats game. That night one of my sons, my husband and I all had violent vomiting and diahrrea for sevreal hours. It was so bad that I wanted to go to the hospital, but I didn't think I could make it down the 19 floors and into a cab to get there. My son said he had the same thoughts in the night. The only thing we all ate that my youngest son didn't was the popcorn at the arena. Makes you wonder what's in that goop they put on it... Happy birthday to me!

July 27, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  10. Ernie

Well what makes me angry at work is this one coworker. She's paranoid to say the least...always thinking that someone is out to do something to her or is talking about her. She's already got the office in an uproar complaining constantly about the perfumes, lotions, etc. going around the office. An email was sent to everyone about scents and it makes people angry with her. She closes her door and frankly that's the way we like it or she'd walk around complaining. Once we brought her a coffee and she swore someone poisoned her coffee. She said that someone was having sex in her chair and office because she said it smelled like sex but her office stays locked (she's the only one who can do this). She said the maintenance man poured water in her celiing and water was dripping on her. She thinks people are purposefully spraying perfume right by her office door so she comes out saying Karma is going to get us. She gets mad if she hears us laughing, swearing that we're talking behind her back. It's crazy!

September 22, 2010 at 6:03 pm |