Today on CNN Newsroom

August 19th, 2010

This Week's Q&A:

You’ve probably heard the screams “The Double-Dip is coming!”  Sound like a great dessert? Maybe some soft ice-cream dipped once in chocolate and once in caramel? Yum!  Or maybe nachos dipped once in sour cream and once in guacamole?

Unfortunately, we’re talking about a “double-dip” recession – something many economists and doom-sayers say we are headed straight for.  Are we?  And if we are, what, if anything, can you do to protect yourself?  Richard Quest and I will duke it out for the best answer today on Q&A. 2:00pm ET / 1800 GMT on CNN.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors • Q&A
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

How many dips do you get before it changes from a recession to a depression and the ice cream runs out .

August 19, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  2. pope

tell me when the jobs coming back, after 2010 or 2012.....And why so much of students don't gratuate this year. You focus on Dr Laura who to receive a call of a woman who talk her private life on the radio. Rather of focus on the true problem, as the notice of past on their T- Shirts.

August 19, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  3. Tom

I think the unemployment number does not accurately reflect the true number of unemeployed. When I retired from the military in 2007, I never signed up for, nor collected unemployment, even though I was entitled to it for several months before I landed my current job. Many americans are too proud to collect these "benefits". I am wondering how many more will be unemployed as our military heroes return from overseas and try to return to work, or find new jobs. I don't see things getting much better in the near future. I am grateful for my job and job security in today's economy. I feel strongly for our heroes who served their country and will be waiting for their country to return the favor.

August 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  4. Bob

To prevent a double dip recession we need to put unemployed
    workers back to work NOW. President Obama needs to do what
    FDR did. Create government jobs and hire the unemployed right
    away. This will put people to work with a basic livable wage which
    they will spend on normal everyday items as needed and inject the
    cash into the economy to help a rebound. They will also pay taxes
    which will in turn help to repay the expenditures. This rebound will
    create jobs. When more money is spent, a greater demand is
    created for all types of goods.
    Tax breaks were given to the wealthy under the Bush administration
    but they didn't create any jobs. To the contrary we have continued
    to lose jobs.

Bob in Tampa

August 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  5. KelleyMD

I am responding to your segment on whether or not the mosque should be built near ground zero: the gentleman in your segment stated that 6 out of 10 people, have a negative view of Islam: Hello, people, Americans are afraid of Islam/Muslims. This fear is irrational but is it a fear that the previous administration harped on for 8 years and now it is weaved into the social fabric of our country. We will need time to move past this fear. Give us time, Islam!

August 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
  6. Norma

Hey Ali,
    Why would we want to spend the money building telephone poles that look like people instead of burying the power lines??? The overhead electrical lines are a real eyestore throughout the country and I think we should bury them whenever we get the chance. Why not?

August 19, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  7. Bonnie Lynn

I am looking for more info on electrical towers but do not see it on your site as you said it would be. Grrrr.

August 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  8. Edward J. Morawski

"Jobs Will Happen" when the unemployed, under-employed and current employed reconnect with the customers that are paying for the 14 trillion dollars of goods and services. A double dip may be fueled by wrong headed government spending, but people that understand that the customer pays the way will be rewarded.

August 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  9. GMB

What happened to the TARP and relief for main street? Give the money to the people.

August 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  10. Linda

Ali, the double dip has been around for at least 6 ms. There are less jobs to apply for in the last 6 ms than there was this time last year. I've been laid off for over 2 yrs & my unemployment/ext benefits ended 6 ms ago. I'm pushing 60 & I know employers are looking at the younger workers. I've had a lot of interviews but the hiring managers are old enough to be my kid. They don't want their mother working with them.
    No jobs in Ma.

August 19, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  11. izzMan

What would a new round of Tax credits for new home buyers do,and what are arguments against having one.

August 19, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  12. MARY

I am grateful that someone / you brought up Timothy McVeigh. I am from Oklahoma and I understand that 9/11 was more horrific. But nonetheless, it was Al Qaeda that struck the US and I believe that the mosgue not only has the right to be built, but the need. I believe that it would be a great oppurtunity for those of us who are not Muslism's to truly understand the difference between Muslims and Al Qaeda. All the best.

August 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  13. Jacqueline55

With the republicans filibustering everything in the Senate-nothing is getting passed that would help stimulate the economy. Without legislation to help the economy recover we are bound to go back into a depression; unless of course instead of government help, the large banks would start borrowing to small business owners-lol

August 20, 2010 at 1:08 am |