Today on CNN Newsroom

August 23rd, 2010

Extra Charges for Overweight Customer

A Georgia woman says she was charged an extra five dollars after treating herself to a manicure, pedicure and eyebrow arch at a DeKalb County Nail Salon. The manager told her the surcharge was due to costly repairs of broken chairs by overweight customers. She says the chairs have a weight capacity of 200 pounds and cost $2,500 to fix. The Georgia woman argued that it constituted discrimination. The manager refunded the money but asked her not to come back to the salon.

Who do you think is right? Email us your comments and Kyra will read some of them in the 10am hour eastern.

Filed under: Anchors • Kyra Phillips
  1. Leah

I do not understand what business it is of anyones who Pres Obama worships and where! His spiritual life is between him and God. The whole thing of freedom religion is the fact EVERYONE deserves the right to worship in their own way!!!

August 23, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  2. Jean

I am SO disgusted with obese people being discriminated against. No other group can be discriminated against liike the obese. This is definitely blatant discrimination.

August 23, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  3. Summer

The manager is in the right, why should they pay thousands of dollars for broken equipment because the customer is too fat to be able to be in the chair? Even though there are "health reasons" to being fat, there are many ways to lose weight even with the health issues. Some are just too fat and lazy to actually DO the work.

August 23, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  4. Eric

99% of overweight people are overweight by choice. I'm sorry, but being unhealthy does not give you the same protection under the law as being paralyzed or mentally disabled. I have no sympathy for this woman.

August 23, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  5. Jason

It is not unfair for someone to be charged extra for additional wear and tear. However, it is the responsibility of the store to clearly post this so there is not "sticker shock" or apparent discrimination. That spa should not have charged the fees without first providing full disclosure. But sometimes people are idiots so...what can you do?

August 23, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  6. Annette

The salon owner has a right to protect her equipment, but should have given notice "beforehand" about overweight customers. There have been problems with communication with Asian owners. They need to bone up on customer relations in the US.

August 23, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  7. James

This is price gouging and fraud. I am sure there is no disclaimer stating that overweight customers will be charged an extra 5 dollar fee. Legally she can't be charged the 5 dollars without being informed before the service that there was the extra fee and what it was. This is a contract and the contract for service was breached by the salon owner.

August 23, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  8. Alan

That's crazy! Maybe the owner should be charged for not speaking english too well. By the way, You look great today Kyra!

August 23, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  9. Jon

The owner of the business.
    Maybe this is a wakeup call for the customer: you could stand to shed a few pounds?

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  10. George Cohen

We live in a country where over 60% of us are overweight. Overweight is the norm, so businesses better plan appropriately. I doubt any business could survive if they lose 60% of it's customers. So any business that puts off overweight people better watch out.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  11. Bill from Greensboro

That shop owner has the right to charge whatever price they see fit. If the shop owner so chooses, they reserve the right to not even unlock their doors for business in the morning!

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  12. Lindsay

I think the nail salon should put a sign in front that displays the safe weight limit for their chairs. They shouldn't put people over that weight limit in their chairs to begin with...that's the point of a weight limit.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  13. Steve

This was a clear cut case of discrimination as far as I am concerned. The business should have insurance to cover damage to equipment. Telling the customer to "take her business elsewhere" is probably the best thing that could have happened...for the customer. Word of mouth travels fast and this negative refection on the business hopefully will be just punishment for their insensitive actions.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  14. Will

I think that it was a totally fair request, the lady has a business to run and if customers are going to risk ruining her equipment she needs to charge extra cash for insurance against further damages. furthermore i could tell by her accent she's vietnamese that accent sounds like they're are yelling at you, when in fact its just how they talk. i bet dollars to donuts she had nothing against the big lady.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  15. Lee

Obesity is a public health issue, just like cigarettes were a public health issue. It doesn't matter if you make a conscious choice to be obese the same way that smokers make the conscious choice to risk lung cancer to continue smoking you will be discriminated against to make the healthier choice. If obesity is not addressed head on, then it will be a problem in America until it is. The woman's "discrimination" complaint should fall on deaf ears the same way that dissenting opinion on hiking cigarette prices has fallen on deaf ears.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  16. Rob

In this situation I have to side with the business. While I do understand the customers outrage at being charged more simply based on her weight, I think that she must understand the financial hardship repairs to that chair could cost. The only fault I can find in the business is that the charge should be made transparently, not placed discreetly on the bill.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  17. Casey G

Business owners have full authority to protect their equipment. Being overweight is something you can change. It is not discrimination to charge an extra 5 dollars. Tell them to lose some weight and they would have never had this problem.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  18. Brian

I agree with the merchant as far as adding on a surcharge. American's are obese. Those of us who are inshape and healthy should reap the benefits of not being charged a fat-ass fee. Besides "women" like that customer who is complaining is exhibiting typical behavior of her class of people.

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  19. Susan

Kyra,
    Even if this woman is overweight, this is not relevant. Insurance on equipment and the premises will handle anything that is damaged.

Being overweight most of my life, I have had to deal with discrimination in almost ALL aspects of my life.

Look at her 'national origin'. When you sit on the other side of the fence think about other people's feelings before you react or remark.

Susan in Arizona

August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  20. Julianna Huntley

As an overweight woman, I see no fault in charging a few dollars extra to ensure that costly machinery doesn't break down. It's not an insult; it's a safeguard. People who are overweight often have to pay around $5 extra for clothes as well; it's something you have to either get use to, or lose weight. Discrimination generally means being treated differently due to something you can't change. Most people are capable of losing weight; it's not discrimination.

August 23, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  21. Carl

I think it is unfortunate that this woman was made to pay an additional charge for her pedicure and manicure. We should not discriminate against someone because of their weight. Let's all be kind to one another.

August 23, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  22. Tim Northrup

The customer seems to be forgetting a basic rule of retail business: you break it, you buy it. As an obese man I'm all too aware of how much damage I can do to chairs, and if these chairs are similarly fragile, it is completely reasonable to ask her to help defer the costs for excessive damage to the chair, unless she wants to pay for a full chair someday.

August 23, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  23. Karrin

No this is not right. While it was only $5.00 – it is the principle behind that charge – and that was wrong. I go to a salon here in Allen Texas and I know the owner would NEVER do a thing like this. To blindside a customer like that, then be SO rude as to say 'gee you're too fat, go somewhere else' ?! That adds insult to injury. I fail to see how an extra $5.00 charge will cover an imgainary $2500.00 repeair. Has it happen yet that a chair broke due to weight? If not, well then enopugh said. If so, sweetie you need insurance, it's called the cost of doing business.

August 23, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  24. Ken

Simalar situation is with the airlines. do you charge for weight. If it is going to be an extra expense for them then yes but make sure you have the price increase up front and published. then the consumer in my opinion can make their own decision as to whether or not buy their services

August 23, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  25. David

This overweight woman seems to be confused about immutable and mutable characteristics, believing that it is wrong to discriminate on the basis of either.

If the salon owner had discriminated against her on the basis of things she has no control over (skin color, sex, height, etc.), that's one thing.

But the basis of the discrimination in this case was the culmination of decisions SHE has made (eating poorly, eating too much, and not working out) that tax the health care system, the stability of salon chairs, and the patience of airplane passengers unfortunately enough to be seated next to her.

Not only should she be discriminated against - it is healthy society's obligation to put pressure on these people to improve themselves for the good of all.

August 23, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  26. Abbas

Obesity is an epidemic in this country due to poor diets and lack of physical activity, causing deteriorating physical, psychological and physiological problems. It costs more from every perspective to service an obese customer than it does one who is not. I side with the business owner, but she should have informed the customer prior to providing services that there would be an "obesity charge". Education and Implementation regarding Obesity are important in getting our country healthy.

August 23, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  27. Lucy

If the customer was a good tipper in general, she would not have been charged.

August 23, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  28. Rusk

They say size don't matter, but in this case it does. Nothing wrong with charging extra for being super size.

August 23, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  29. Sherry

Would the customer have felt better if the $2500 chair in question had a big sign on it that said "Weight Limit 200 LBS" and then been ASKED (in public) if she met the weight limit? This is how I think it should have been solved – with the business required to post a sign, allowing those overweight to decide they didn't want to pay an additional fee, or change their list of services requested. The store has a right to protect its equipment, and the customer has a right to refuse a service rather than be embarrassed with a weight question.

August 23, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  30. Deborah in Blue Springs, MO

Yes, this incident does smack of discrimination. However, the incredible number of obese Americans is making it necessary for businesses to protect their investments by limiting access to fragile equipment and charging for risk of damage. Excessive weight is not the fault of individuals, but the resultant reaction should not come as any surprise.
    That lady with the nice hands and feet cannot claim she was unaware of her obesity.

August 23, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  31. Peggy Smith

I suppose businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they want. However, I don't feel it is right to levy an extra charge that hasen't been posted or explained to the customer. There are a lot of overweight people in the south. I hope none of them give their business to this salon!

August 23, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  32. Sabina

It seems there was a lot of miscommunication. The salon was uncomfortable with the overweight customer and the customer was rightfully embarrassed. No one "wins" this one...
    Better guidelines should be established so everyone knows the rules upfront.

August 23, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  33. sglewis

I hate to say it but yes. The vendor should be compensated if a person can damage their equipment due to their weight. What would have happen if the chair broke? I think that too many people are getting too big and we need to take more responsibility for our weight.

August 23, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  34. mike weaver

i bet she would sue if the chair broke with her in it ,so yes the shop should be able to charge a fee for clients over the weight limit on the chairs. i do think they should post the fee...maybe then the overweight customers can make the decision about having their nails done there, and the owners can avoid excessive wear and tear on their equipment.

August 23, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  35. Michelle

I think it is terrible they charged her a surcharge without first telling her before the services were performed that they were going to do so.If the equipment had a weight limit than the salon owner should have not allowed the women to use the chair in the first place. It appears the salon owner was not upfront with this women I have went to these types of the salons and they charge different rates for regular customers over drop in's they have not seen before which is clearly unethical!

August 23, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  36. JerseyTechGuy

I agree that perhaps they should have a sign saying that their policy is to charge for people over 200 lbs and why, however I think businesses should have the ability to charge for over weight people where appropriate to their operation. Obesity is out of control in this country and it is not because of medical ailments. It is because people simply can't control their eating habits.

August 23, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  37. Ms. B.

This is a tough one and I can't wait to see feedback. As a Massage Therapist tables are capable of holding up to 200/300 lbs but after that, I would think there could be a liability issue involved if a client fell off or through the table.

I'm not sure if this would be similar for a nail technician's chairs, etc. I think it was wrong to tell the woman after the fact that she had been charged for being over weight. How cruel! Maybe there should be a sign placed somewhere in the shop stating the weight capacity of the chairs so that customers know what they are dealing with ahead of time.

August 23, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  38. Charles Payne

The only thing this Obese Country cares about more than their stomach is their wallet. I Completely Agree With the business owners on this one, If more businesses took this approach, maybe people will have more incentive to stay in shape.

August 23, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  39. Melvin

In a democratic and capitalistic society, which we still (barely) are, of course the owner of a shop has a right to charge whatever they want unless it's illegal discrimination. This was not illegal discrimination. But it was wrong of her not to post the charge. Also, I think the "owner"/spokesperson lied when she said that the equipment would only handle 200 pounds. Commercial equipment should be able to handl more than that. So whatever the manufacturer's stated limit is should be the figure used. Perhaps a better policy would be to have every patron sign an agreement that if their weight breaks the unit, they are responsible for repairs or replacement.
    The women who said, "You can't discriminate for being overweight. This is America" obviously does not know the law. You can. I just wish the airlines would enforce their obesity policies more frequently. If a truly obese person ever sits next to me, I'd get up and move - or off the plane. I wouldn't embarrass them, but nor would I subject myself to 2/3 of a 17" seat!

August 23, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  40. Latoya

I think that the salon owner knew before hand that she intended on overcharging the customer and should have spoken to her privately before doing the job. It is unfair and rude to sneak charges on your customers. I totally disagree with this salon owner.

August 23, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  41. Creed Wait

Americans have a right to be morbidly obese. I have a right to get what I pay for. I am sick and tired of paying for an airline seat but only getting 3/4 of that seat because the person next to me is the size of a house. I am disgusted by their flab and fat spilling into my seat, pressing me up against the window for the duration of the flight. Sure, fat people have rights but so do the rest of us. When I buy an airline seat I expect to get 100% of that seat.

August 23, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  42. Eddie James

People have to realize that not everything is discrimination. This is going too far. Discrimination is being judged for something you can't help. MOST over weight issues in this world are self inflicted. You can't break people's equipment and then say you have a right to do it. The shop owner has the right to protect her business interests.

August 23, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  43. Mrs.Taylor

I am a blabk woman and i dont think it was discrimination i as a buisness owner think the lady was witin her rights because eventhough she charged the lady 5 dollars more if the chair was damaged that would not have helped fix that chair and she would have lost more business than just that 5 dollars she charged her and i dont think that it wa unfair.

August 23, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  44. Summer

Lucy this has nothing to do with tips. This has everything to do with her weight and the fact there is a weight limit on their chairs.

August 23, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  45. Bob

Is the long standing policy of many businesses, "No shirt no shoes no service", descriminatory? Choosing not to wear a shirt or not to wear shoes is a personal choice. Allowing oneself to become grossly obese, at least in most cases, is also a personal choice. Are there not consequences for all of our personal choices? I truly feel for the business owners in this case. Perhaps they should post a sign stating their policy regarding the servicing of obese customers and after this publicity, I am sure they will. The bluntness or matter of fact way the customer was communicated to I would attribute to the language barrier. The customer's indignation and disbelief that another Amercan could speak to her in such a way is just insane. I wonder what the customer would say if she knew how much of her health insurance premium was providing for the care of habitual smokers. Yet another choice made by some that all of us are paying for. Not to sound insensitive, but I think she needs to consider the $5 fee as a gift. Maybe it saved her from abusing her body even more with yet another trip to McDonald's. Lastly, how in the world did this warrant even local media coverage. Now it is on CNN? Oh my...

August 23, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  46. Denise

Anyone who frequents those shops knows that it's all about getting as much money from you as they can. Those chairs are huge, so it is highly unlikely they would be unable to accommodate a woman of that size. If that were the case, they should designate one chair in the shop for heavy women. I think this is a farce...............all they care about is offering you services (toe design, eyebrow arch, etc.) to make more money. This is simply a ploy to get more money and they did not like the lady questioning them. Normally, people don't add up what the services totaled........they just pay. She should sue the shop, especially since the owner was on television defending their stance, and telling the lady she should not come back. Basically, you can't change how you do business, in the middle of doing business.

August 23, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  47. Dawn Coyle

Yes I believe that a business does have the right to charge extra for services rendered to an overweight person if there is extra wear and tear on equipment because of that extra weight. However,I feel that if they do charge extra then it should be posted and the business loses the right to refuse overweight customers.

August 23, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  48. Ronda

The shop owner should have posted this notice, but she is within her rights. Americans have been asked for many years to take responsibility for their health and eating habits and yet they continue to get fatter. Perhaps peer pressure and embarrasement will be the only things that finally get the point across. From joint replacement surgeries on obese patients to diabetes and high blood pressure, obesity is COSTLY to Medicare, Medicaid and insurance plans. Ultimately we all pay for some people's choice to ignore their health.
    Ronda MSN, RN

August 23, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  49. Lauren

Pedicure Chairs hold around 170-200 KILOGRAMS, which means around 350-400 lbs. The salon manager was judging this customer and she's either dishonest or highly inaccurate in her statements about her equipment. I absolutely believe it's the news' responsibility to call people on junk like this. I wish y'all would do that. Fact checking, the good old days.

August 23, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  50. Haley

I feel for the woman, but look at our country every day someone is
    discriminated against, from smokers being denied employment to
    obese people being surcharged, to gays being denied the right to
    marry. What's next?

August 23, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  51. Steve

While this is discimination, it is not covered by current law. Currently in the US you can not be discriminated on the basis of race and ethniticity, age, sex and gender, physical and mental disability, religion and miitary status. Unfortunately, a persons weight is not concidered a disability.

August 23, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  52. valery baranuevo

the owner is right. Extra charges because of race, gender or sexual preferences thats discrimination but for being obese is not. They choose to be overweight now they need to pay the price..If you are that sensitive than put the fork down.I traveled the world a lot and America have more obese people than any other country. We need to do something about it maybe charging extra for everything is a new way.

August 23, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  53. Elizabeth McDowell

The owner of the salon is discriminating against the Georgia woman. The owner's attitude is most disturbing. She exhibits a sense of entitlement, no one has to patronize her business. Maybe it's time for a reality check.

August 23, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  54. Kim

I believe the salon should have the overweight prices posted on their sign before entering the business. That being said, I do believe that they have the right to charge an overweight fee for anyone that uses their equipment because if anything does happen to that equipment, the owner is responsible for the repairs. Otherwise, salons should get equipment that can handle overweight, so they won't have to worry about this issue. As for overweight people, they know they're fat and shouldn't act stupid when going somewhere thinking they have the right to do anything. Lose the weight. This is one big reason why our health insurance is so high. Why should I have to be punished for what they so with their bodies?

August 23, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  55. Jim

Discrimination against overweight people is nothing new in our society business owners and even some doctors act in a less than professional manner to customers or patients.I believe the business in question was wrong to treat the lady in such a horrid manner and will most likely hurt thier business due to both thier attitude and general mistreatment of a customer. If this business wants to keep potential clients then I suggest they get a chair that meets the requirments for big ladies to sit in safely and dismiss the manager for being rude and acting irresponable.When you do business with people you must treat them fair in order to stay in business otherwise you dont hope that business takes heed.

August 23, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  56. Angela Wong McKinnes

Unbelievable!! Calling all Plus Size Girls In Atlanta, don't do business there, tell your friends not to do business there, stand outside that shop with signs telling people not to do business there...shut them down!!!! Throw your weight around girls!! Run them 98 lbs nail techs out of town. How rude of the owner...so only her plus size customers effect her equipment? You mean It has nothing to do with that fact that they services hundreds of people every day on that equipment. Unbelievable!!

August 23, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  57. Peggy Smith

Does this business weigh their customers? Is everyone over 200lbs charged the extra $5? How do they decide – by their opinion that someone is overweight? All women should boycott this business!

August 23, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  58. Vanessa

If the client was not informed up front or if the extra cost was not posted in plain sight, I think the owner was wrong to add an extra cost for being "overweight" "after" services were received. The arrogant and embarrassing behavior displayed by the owner was not "quality customer service." There are so many nail shops competing for business that are willing to provide quality customer service, just take your business elsewhere.

August 23, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  59. Jim in Los Angeles

When a 5-axel big-rig truck drives on a toll road they pay more than a 2-axil passenger vehicle. The reason is wear and tear on the road. In this case, since the equipment can only support 200 pounds, clients that exceed this weight limit should be referred to another business that has more heavy duty equipment. But in this insanely politically correct country where everyone thinks they have to right to do everything no matter what the expense to the business, as long as a business clearly posts all its charges I think it is reasonable to apply a surcharge for overweight people.

August 23, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  60. Lucy

Summer – I tip my nail guy $20 each time out of human kindness. i guarantee you, he would have not charged me $5 for being overweight. And, that's a fact.

August 23, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  61. Matt

Obesity is a choice, so it is not discimination. What will also not discriminate is knee and hip degeneration, type 2 diabtetes, high blood pressure, stroke and heart disease.

August 23, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  62. Heather

I think it's dead wrong regardless of how you look at it...Come on people let's be realistic here? And NO WHERE on that board in that shop does it say 5$ surcharge for obese customers. I've been there trust me I know! And the people there have crappy attitudes. I hope she sues them for every dime! And the fact that she was refunded, then told...not to come back there. That's crap. I would've flipped the chair on them..at least she kept her cool

August 23, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  63. Mary Ann

If the weight limit on the chair is 200 pounds you shouldn't be put in the chair in the first place. You are putting the customer at risk. Your concern should be the customer not the chair!

August 23, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  64. Matthew H

Extra Charges for Overweight Customer.

The worker/owner is in the wrong. Whenever you have a business of caring for the public, you have to care for them.
    To view someone as a dollar and place them in a chair that the worker said was not going to support the customer, is a safety concern. Again the nail salon is the wrong.
    We all want to make money but its not more important than showing some passion for what you do. Take care of your customers and keep them safe without discrimination. If you cannot help a person then tell them upfront. Obesity is a problem in the U.S.

August 23, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  65. Summer

Its still not about tips. Its about someone being too fat for a chair that is rated at a lower weight than she is. Not discrimination (or tips) in the slightest.

No matter what health issue she has, it is no excuse for her to not lose weight. This is a personal issue she needs to deal with and the manager has every right to protect their property.

This woman would just on the sue wagon if the chair broke while she was in it.

August 23, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  66. stormy weather

it's gotten to the point that yes, obese people need to be told they have a problem, we tell people w/alcohol& drug problems to get help etc. but nobody wnats to tell obese people to get help in my book its not discrimination these folks need to start getting the message & sometimes humiliation will get they're attention on the Dr.'s show they even said what I'm saying this is the only thing that is going to get theyre attention

August 23, 2010 at 9:24 am |
  67. Catherine Falkner

Kyra,
    Isn't the "bigger" question the patron's weight regarding her concerns and not her eyebrows and nails? The salon owner could partner with a local gym advertising they are concerned with their overweight customers significant health risks. Obese patrons could then reward themselves with manicure, pedicure and eyebrow arching after losing X amount of pounds at possibly reduced price-everybody wins.

August 23, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  68. Gail

This is a clear case of discrimination and may be a violation of the Americans with Disabilities legislation. The salon should have been equipped with a chair that accomodates clients who weigh in excess of 200 pounds. The manager of the salon had a rather 'heavy' accent – how would she feel if the businesses she frequents charged her a premium because it takes more time and effort, which translates into more money, to understand her?

August 23, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  69. mikhail

this is a good and practical solution , overweight has to ask bussiness owner if the chair can fit or not , what going to happen if he or she break the chair and get injury, more problems not discrimination, cuz overweight relize that

August 23, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  70. Fat-tabulous

Kyra, there are no federal laws against weight discrimination, but the salon owner was wrong. She had no problem accepting that customer's money. So if it was no BIG deal, then why couldn't she inform the customer of the cost before performing the services? I say boycott…let’s see how much she gets from those chairs if she has no customers sitting in them.

August 23, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  71. Tim N Tn

That sur charge was rediculous,Did the salon owner have a sign stating this xtra charge,?
    Do the manacure chairs have scales on them?
    Did she ask the woman ,before she started,"Excuse me what is your weight..
    I think the answer to these question is NO!!
    This caused the woman pain,obesity is a serious disease,and americans are plagued by it.
    But you dont charge some one because of it.
    What has happened to customer service?
    What has happened to manners and respect?
    Our society is decaying like a rotten apple,"From Within".
    Last week our country were debating two of our fundamental rights.
    the right of free speech [Dr Laura} and the right of your choice of religion.building a Mosque.
    What has happened to mature sensible adults in america?
    Would love to see more positive stories on the news,but it aint happening,in our world.

August 23, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  72. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Most salon chairs are made agile to position people to a suitable position for grooming and can not be treated as if there a crain unloading elephants it would be like someone going into an all you can eat food outlet and eating four times as mush as a normal weight person and busting the chair's there .

August 23, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  73. Barbara Hiserodt

The facts are: the salon provided the overweight customer with services, AND the customer didn't break a chair. To be told after the fact that you're being charged extra because your weight 'might' have caused the chair you sat in to break is insulting and wrong on all levels.The salon owner needs to find a good business model for covering the costs of running her business including breakages and wear and tear of her equipment.

August 23, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  74. sally aloff

i don't think the lady should have been charged an extra fee. that is
    discrimination for sure. did the shop have this practice before? the
    shop owner seemed really nasty.

August 23, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  75. Tom

I think it's a great idea, I am a big man, but if I am paying more, I want a comfortable chair !!!!!!!!!

August 23, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  76. Sean

If theres a risk she may break the $2500.00 chair, what is 5 dollars going to cover? I would have just told her you are too big to be sitting in my 2500.00 chair and there is a risk it may break, im sorry but you chose to be overweight.

August 23, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  77. Angie

Whoever wrote that 99% of overweight people are so by choice has absolutely no idea what he/she is talking about. It is true that some people live poor lifestyles that have caused them to be overweight. However, it is also true that some people suffer from low thyroid function or low production of leptin, both of which cause people to gain or keep on weight and make it incredibly difficult to lose weight. I agree that there is a serious problem with obesity in the United States, but insulting people with inaccurate facts does no one any good.

August 23, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  78. mike

Bravo to the salon owner. i am 6foot 6 inches tall 300 pounds and have been in many places were the furniture does not FIT me it is just a fact. it also impacts the customers own saftey in that chair. so she should thank the salon owner for protecting her from a chair not designed to handle her weight.

August 23, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  79. Joseph M.

Being unnaturally large means you wear things down faster, cost more fuel for transport, and take up more space. So if you're using more than a normal person, why shouldn't you pay the extra cost for your extra weight?

August 23, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  80. George

What's the difference between this and Southwest Airlines requiring the purchase of an additional seat for obese passengers?... other than when the notification was made. No sympathy - buck up and pay the fee - or hit the tread mill fatty!

August 23, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  81. Larry

Honesty is the best policy. I believe it is better to be open about things such a as surchages like this salon so that the customer can make an informed choice and not feel a discrimation feeling.

August 23, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  82. David

If I own a company I have the right to please every customer whether they be fat skinny black or white. But in this instance the company wasn't even prepared but just like if that lady were to go to a movie theater or to a coffee shop she may not even be able to enjoy it because of her weight.

Point is companies should appeal to ALL types of customer, BUT the customer should be prepared for such instances if they are overweight.

August 23, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  83. Robert

This is a weighty issue, but why should businesses bear the burden of handling overweight customers? If an overweight person were to dine at an all-you-can-eat restaurant and end up breaking one of the chairs, would it be fair for the restaurant to eat the cost of the replacement or repair? Let's chew the fat over some coffee and donuts.

August 23, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  84. SG

Put the fork down and stop complaining! Obesity is an emotional disorder, just as alcohol abuse is. The salon owner was harsh, she should display and or disclose her policy, but please don't whine about being overweight. It's something you can fix. Now hit the tread mill lady.

August 23, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  85. Andrez

this is not discrimination, it's business if the lady had broken this chair would she not have to pay for it anyway? i mean really if it's that much of a big deal that she would start crying because she was embarassed then just lose the weight spare yourself that embarassment, if not expect things like that to happen.

August 23, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  86. Ray

Lose the weight. Plain and simple. Obesity is not a national problem, it is an individual problem that is nationwide. People need to realize that the health insurance problem is directly related to escalated heart disease and diabetes. Obesity is a health resource killer, and it takes the lives of too many of our citizens

August 23, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  87. Steve

I work in a similar environment and by the Asian ladies tone I can tell it is beyond the weight issue. She is fed up with ignorant people. When a chinese or a Vietnamese turns away money it HAS got to be more severe than an overweight person.

I'm not saying the woman she charged $5 was ignorant but if you had a way to do a study on the amount of ignorant trashy people frequenting that shop the number would be high.....

August 23, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  88. Frank

It is amazing how people will jump to saying "You can't do this! This is America!" while completely forgetting that the other person is also in America and if they want to charge you extra or not even serve you in the first place they have that right. Obesity is an epidemic in this nation and rather than label these people 'disabled' and provide additional benefits for them we need to do the things that motivate them to become healthier. We all end up paying for obesity in one way or another. If you are obese your health suffers if you aren't then your insurance is higher because of the obese.

August 23, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  89. steve

Wait, weight, wait, weight, here it comes-the weight card. Now its time for the weight card. What better way for hair trigger feelings about the fat issue to get the same rights as other folks while limiting others rights and not getting their feelings hurt. For example on the plane when one pays a fare and has to enjoy the larger than life passenger overflowing into their seat who just made the cut for a regular fare. Ah, so what. A little human touch never hurt! Right! The only thing that the salon owner should have done is post up front or tell the customer up front of the charge. No need for hurt feelings on either side.

August 23, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  90. Anita

I think the salon owner had a right to charge that surcharge. however, she should have told her from the start. Maybe the client would have chosen to not have the service. I do find Asian people to discriminate. I have a cosmetologist license and applied to several Asian establishments but they always say they are not hiring. I've even experienced them acting like they didn't know what I was talking about when talking about employment. Now that is discrimination.

August 23, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  91. Bob Duff

This is just a continuation of the same egregious service these asian nail salon owners provide.

My wife drives 25 miles one-way to the next city where there is a nail salon run by Americans. This is because an asian propriator here in town wanted to charge me $20 for taking up an empty seat while I waited for my wife to get a pedicure/manicure.

August 23, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  92. Ron

The shop owner shuold post a weight limit sign on her chair. In this country the obese cost tax payers 150 BILLION dollars a year in related health care costs. If obese people dont have enough respect for themselves to care for thier own heath, how can they expect others to respect them?

August 23, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  93. Johan

The manager should have refused treatment since the weight limit on the chair is there for a reason – to protect the equipment and the customer. The manager had no right to add a made up amount to the total as this was not agreed to before the treatment started. This is not discrimination however, the overweight woman needs to understand that her weight will impact her lifestyle as well as her health and stop blaming other people.

August 23, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  94. MrsBojangles

I think the surcharge is inappropriate. This salon owner is just trying to milk as much money as she can from her customers. Surely people of all shapes and sizes come in for nail services, and this is not the first time an overweight person has been in her salon. If this is indeed a store policy, then it should be posted (along with the price list) for anyone to see. That way the customer can make up their mind whether or not they want to spend their money in that establishment. And, if they claim that the chairs can't support more than 200 lbs., do they plan on putting a scale there to weigh every customer that comes through the door? C'mon now!

August 23, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  95. Carl

The decision to overeat is akin to the decision to smoke cigarettes. We can tell smokers that they are not wanted in restaurants and other places where second hand smoke offends or places others at risk.

Overly obese people, when in certain public situations such as being seated in confined spaces made for average sized people should understand that it is they who are outside the realm of protection for their choices. I would not want to me made to breath second hand smoke to protect the feelings of a smoker who is the one outside of the norm of behavior. I feel the same way about overly obese people.

And for the record I used to be overly obese. And when I was I felt uncomfortable about subjecting others to the discomforts of my choices.

August 23, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  96. Jo

I would like to correct Eric, as obesity is not always by choice, for example I had cancer and they gave me steroids which caused me to gain weight,I am working on weight loss now, however I did not gain weight because of laziness or choice, it was due to medications. I also know of others who have gain weight due to cortisone, etc....

And obese people should not be treated badly, no one should! Well except maybe you Eric!!!!!!

August 23, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  97. Snowbyrd

The airlines charge extra fees for OBESE passengers and I feel the salon owner had the right to do the same thing...I feel the salon owner should've notified her beforehand...and she has the right to protect her equipment..I just finished nailing a porch chair back together after a 400 pounder plopped down on it and broke my rattan chair...grrrff...

August 23, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  98. Perry Hollins

The owner didn't give a prior notice because she knew it was discrimination. C'mon! When you open a business you are fully aware of the clientele you will be serving (they come in all shapes and sizes)... Don't use the excuse of furniture cost when a big portion of your business has customers sitting down. You know there will be wear and tear on equipment... Don't buy cheap equipment!! The owner is wrong.

August 23, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  99. Travis bolden

i think that if you own a business in the united states of america you are to build you business to accommodate all walks of live big or small its not ones choice to be big may god bless that lady

August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  100. Gene Logan

Any business dealing with obese people should have the right to charge them extra for the damage their weight causes and the extra space that their bodies take up. I'm sure it was nothing personal, just business.

August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  101. Tom

It is time that people stop accepting obesity as ok. It is not normal for a human to get that big. Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in this country. Maybe the only way to get it under control is to make it socially unacceptable like smoking and drunk driving.

August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  102. Suzanne Mumert

This is awful. If the customer had been too tall, would they have had an extra charge added? This is definitely discrimination. That salon should be fined or taken to court. They should not be able to be open like that. I am enraged about this.

August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  103. Glenn Stewart

George Cohen: Illegal immigration is the "norm" right now, do we just ignore that problem, too? The store should post the extra charges, however it is a private business. They can charge whatever they feel like, it's called capitalism.

August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  104. Millie Sweet

People who have never been overweight do not understand that problem.

They assume it is by choice. This is not true. Metabolism is so bad in most over weight people (due to forcing themselves to lose lots of weight over and over until their metabolism has become so slow they cannot lose again) that they are faced with terrible depression over the idea of trying again.

If trained properly they would have worked on gaining muscle so the metabolism would not have been killed. But most of them are so hated by others and told to just lose it that they try and try until it is impossible.

Then they give up and are told they are despicable people. This is so not true. I am a lucky one who built muscle, but no one teaches them the truth. And they are often the object of hatred.

August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  105. Jim

I hardly believe that overweight people are the "most discriminated against". This person needs to quit crying about being mistreated and just loose weight to improve her health. The shop owner needs to put up a sign that says "Due to the limits of our equipment we can not serve persons over the weight of 200 lbs (or whatever that max weight would be). The overweight woman need to face the fact that she may not be able to use the same facility and go to a place that can and not make a BIG (overweight) deal out of it!

August 23, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  106. Greg

I am uncomfortably impressed at how the owner protected her property. I just think she should have stated it up front. Charging obese individuals for services that require higher costs to service (e.g., airfare, healthcare) must be offset with a either a.) premium on the obese or b.) a premium on everyone. I simply don't accept the latter... those who are fit should not have to pay for those who aren't.

August 23, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  107. Allan Sanders

Obesity is so common place in the U.S. that it seems normal. I am in the middle of the weight chart for my height, yet people say I am thin. The problem is how we see ourselves. We are a fat people. Heavy people damage spa chairs, other chairs, tables, and beds. We need to lighten up. No offense intended.

August 23, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  108. JoAnn Cassello

I think it was so wrong for the manager to charge that woman extra. First of all, she should have equipment that can accommodate ALL sizes. She said the chairs hold up to 200 pounds. I know there are MANY women that are over that. I also know that many men go to get pedicures, and they also weigh over that. does she charge less for underweight people???? It was just a mean thing to do to this woman who is a paying customer,and a human being with feelings. I am not overweight, and I would NEVER patronize that salon.

August 23, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  109. Sam Vicino

As long as charges are posted regarding over wieght or just extra large people there should not be a problem where services are rendered. Regarding airline charges, there are some that are absolutely ridiculous but when it comes to seat charges, I say they are correct. Have you ever been seated in coach next to someone that is way too large for their seat and they hang over into your space that is limited to begin with. It is extremely irritating, especially on a long flight. They should be required to buy an extra seat if they infringe on the passenger seated next to them. If they don't like the charge thay have two choices, don't fly or lose weight.

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  110. Lucy

When I walk into my Vietnamese nail salon, they fight over me.

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  111. John

The overweight should take responsibility for their condition. Each day Americans pay bills to cover the cost of healthcare directed to fixing complications of being overweight – diabetes, high blood pressure, joint damage, and heart disease. These bills hit American pocketbooks by way of taxes and insurance premiums. While some people have medical conditions preventing them from getting healthy, the profound and simple joy of being fit is not enough incentive for some obese persons to get healthy. Perhaps economic incentives should be in place. The concept of an obese surcharge is no different than requiring obese fliers to pay for an extra ticket on an airplane or charging more for XXL clothes.

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  112. Ralph Beach

I am fat so I take offense to what the store manager did and said. It is not right for anyone to be so cruel to another. The company should remember that the chair were paid for to be used by customers. If the company wants to complain about the chairs then they should change the chairs. Go ahead people, make fun of me! The manager shows me that there still is hate and discimination against others. Very sad!

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  113. Jon S

We have the right to pursue happiness; even if it means being fat. However, that doesn't mean obese people have the right to have the same access to goods and services as do moderate weighted people. The availability of services based upon income has always been a discriminatory practice. Work hard enough for money and more services become available. Work hard enough to be of proper weight and more areas become accessible and lot more times cheaper.

August 23, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  114. Steve

UPS, FedEx, and the Post Office all charge to ship packages according to the weight of the package and the distance it's being sent. Airlines charge us if our bags are over a certain weight, but a 120 pound passenger flying from JFK to San Diego pays the same fare on the same plane as 240 pound passengers and 300 pound passengers.

That means I am paying more for the extra fuel required to haul obese people around the country. I'm with the beauty shop owner and wish the airlines would follow her lead.

August 23, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  115. Bill Ronay

The overweight...OBESE...woman's naive expectations were unreasonable in respecting the shop owner's liability and the obvious equipment limits.

August 23, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  116. Alexandra

Why is it that Americans are so Prejudice. Everyone is not skinny and it makes me sick that people think they wont get fat newsflash you will be maybe not now but later yeah. One day you will be old Fat maybe not obese when you reach your 50&60. And when since did the Amendment say that you have to be skinny for the laws to protect your right you know what people are absent minded idiots who dont think about peoples feelings. And by the Way if you Dont want people breaking down your chair then PAY TAXES. instead of giving then FREE TAX to run tthoose buisness we need to Charge you. WHAT HAPPENS to the Tax you dont Pay. Use that money. Cause we all know Americans pay tax on Buisness and Foriengers Dont.

August 23, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  117. Patti Nelson

I have had very expensive chairs broken in my salon because of overweight customers. They pay more for plus-size clothes, & don't question that. I agree with the salon owner, but the customer should be aware of that charge before the service, allowing her to make the choice of using that salon, just as she made the choice of eating that last donut!

August 23, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  118. bill best

I, as well as my wife are large people. My wife always has been, I have not. This has given me the chance to see both sides over the years. The discrimination for the women is far worse I believe, and the people doing this are more apt to be women. The little Asian lady in your piece was way out of line, and I believe this is more cultural than anything else in that instance. What happened to the good old days of being nice to all your customers? By sheer word of mouth, she should be out of business. I would not tolerate that type of treatment, ever. All people should be treated exactly the same, unless the size is an actual problem, such as airlines, movie seats, etc. where the company actually incurrs an expence for the accomodations of such.

August 23, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  119. Rosonda Bell

I think this is outrageous, what about guys that come in and get their feet done. I'm sure they weigh over 200 pounds but does she charge them extra. I'm curious as to how many other people she has charged that didn't notice the charge. She should've been charged for theft, considering that it wasn't posted anywhere. What if the lady would've said something discriminating to her for being a foreigner would she have discriminated against. If I lived in Georgia I would definitely not be a patron to her establishment.

August 23, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  120. Cory B

It's not discrimination if it's consistent. If a large muscular man that weighs over 200lbs(or any person over 200lbs) were to visit the salon were charged a surcharge I think it would be fair. However, that fact that this lady was not told in advance is wrong.

The salon owner needs to have a sign stating that clientèle over 200lbs will be subject to a $5.00 surcharge.

As a matter of fact, if what the salon owner says about the chairs only being rated for up to 200lbs is true, then safety could be an issue and those clients should perhaps be turned away completely.

It's like a carnival ride with a height restriction, it's not there to discriminate over short people or children, it's there for the safety of the people not being large enough for the safety devices to be effective. It may be a crude analogy, but still fitting nonetheless.

August 23, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  121. Jon

While everyone loves you fuel their outrage and speak their mind whenever they feel they've been wronged. But let's look at the facts:

#1. Customer Overweight
    #2. Providing A Service
    #3. Customers Dollar
    #4. Service Providers Equipment
    #5. Service Completed
    #6. Service Needs To Be Paid
    #7. Surcharge

I agree with both parties on this subject. The business (and other businesses) need to display all charges that may occur during a session of services being provided. You would want to know about hidden fees with credit cards, banking fees, cable bill, doctors visits, etc. The same applies here.

Now for a consumer to say "this can't happen this is America." Well millions of things happen on any given day because it is America. The business owner has the right to charge whatever, for their services. Including wear and tare on their equipment. Fees, however small or large, are passed to us everyday from Doctors, Lawyers, Mechanics, etc. so why shouldn't a Nail Salon.

At the end of the day . . . . . Business owner has the right to charge surcharges (but inform the consumers beforehand), and the Consumer has the right to take their business elsewhere.

More important things going on in the world to devote time on this story.

August 23, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  122. Tyrone

This lady needs to calm down this isn't discrimination are you kidding me... You're over 200lbs the seat has a weight limit of 200lbs your lucky they even allowed you to get your nails done. Just like theirs a height limit to ride on some roller coasters same thing applies in this case. But at least this Nail Salon will let you sit and receive their service at a small fee for ones who exceed the limit. Remember this isn't a cheap Wal-Mart chair it's a special messaging recliner cost a whopping $2500 that's very expensive.

August 23, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  123. Sharon Carroll

People who are obese and are not being real with themselves about the burden this causes on society is simply living in denial. However, the owner of that salon handled this situation completely wrong and not only should they have refunded the customers $5, they should have refunded her entire services since she asked her customer not to return. Seems to me they did not want to tell the customer their was a $5 charge PRIOR to the service or POST a SIGN in their establishment so all potential customers could see this rule BEFORE they decide to have service, because they know this would cause them to LOOSE business! If I were her, I would demand a REFUND of ALL my MONEY or I would pursue a LAW SUIT! But for those people who are obese, you really need to start taking a closer look at what you are asking and expecting everyone else to sacrifice, because in most cases YOU are NOT WILLING TO DO THE SAME......SACRIFICE THE JUNK FOOD, so you can get healthy and no longer be subjected to issues you face daily as a result. The fact is, too much weight on chairs that are not made to hold too much weight means YOU WILL BREAK IT! Then who in the salon is supposed to pay for it?

August 23, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  124. Aneesah

I hope the customer sues the salon owner. This is outrageous. No matter how people feel about obese people right is right and wrong is wrong, and this was wrong on so many levels.

August 23, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  125. Christina DeHart

The customer should file a lawsuit , she clearly was discriminated
    against . The salon owner can call it what she want's it all comes
    down to discrimination. The Salon owner needs to Pay for her
    ignorance!

August 23, 2010 at 10:09 am |
  126. Travis bolden

are these china focks here legally we are on the mexicans What about them and jamaican And them hati people why do we in our own country have to deal with Thats we dont speak those languages go back to china where every body less than 100 lbs

August 23, 2010 at 10:09 am |
  127. Aidan

I,m with the owner , if you want to be unhealthy and fat then its your choice , its not discrimination , its lack of self control on the side of the customer , whats next , the door at MICKEY DEES is too narrow , ok lets sue them for discrimination , come on people give me a break .Now watch the chair manufacturer is speeding up production on the over weight chairs and they WILL start showing up at salon near you .!!!!!

August 23, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  128. Angela

It's called BUSINESS. If it costs more to provide a service to you then you are charged more – is that so hard to understand? To NOT charge extra would be considered BAD BUSINESS, since that choice creates a loss rather than a profit.

What about all the airlines that charge overweight people more to fly? Of course obese people will immediately accuse them of being discriminatory, but the truth of the matter is that the heavier you are, the more it costs to sent you in the air. Should all businesses suffer just because you choose to be huge?

Why not take this instance as a wake up call and lose some weight instead of complaining on national tv? Big (at some point) is not beautiful, it's UNHEALTHY, and frankly, uneconomical.

August 23, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  129. Michelle

I believe that this is clear cut discrimination. First you can not upcharge a person with out a disclaimer written for them to see. Second the way that the situation was handled was absolutly wrong. This customer is bringing her business to the company. She should appreciate the fact that someone wants to come to her establishment in the first place.
    If this passes the next thing you know, we will be charged at other establishments such as tanning, rides at amusment parks, rental cars and food resturants. This is rediculous and hurtful. The situation could have been handled much better than that.
    Obesity can be caused by an individuals own actions but it is possible to be over weight due to genetics and thyroid issues, ect. Before this shop owner did this she should have discussed what the charges where. You can't just add charges for what ever you want on a bill. Come on.

August 23, 2010 at 10:11 am |
  130. Linda in Dumfries

Denise's comment stated it best. "You can't change business in the middle of doing business", otherwise, it's poor business. And the shop owner, in her own defense, proved she's a sorry business owner. With this knowledge, shame on any new customers. The salon owner was not only rude to the customer, but was unlikeable during the interview. Whereas the customer appeared very friendly, despite her mistreatment.
    Great opportunity for the entrepreneurial spirit to open a nail salon catering to all sizes.

August 23, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  131. Pete V

I think everyone is missing that the owner knowingly exceeded the manufacterers weight capacity, In the story the owner said that the capacity is 200 pounds yet allowed a customer to sit in the chair even thought she thought that customerexceeded the stated capacity AND charged her extra to do so. If the chair broke injuring the customer were would the story be? PS what is the true capacity of the chair ( I found manuals for similar chairs on line showing in general a 250 lb capacity and what is the womans true weight?)

August 23, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  132. Beckie Bogard

IF the woman is so concerned about the equipment in her salon she should post signs ststing that there will be a surcharge.Was she charged a surcharge when appling for her license because she was not native of this country.Of course not.How in the heck can $5.00 replace a massage chair she would have to charge 500 people an extra $5.00, maybe she should charge for people who have big feet or hands.

August 23, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  133. Mason

The Facts...the woman was quite heavy..the manager was in the constraints of the law and what a hysterically interesting story that was...why don't we just call the police and have them sort it out that way "justice" can be served

August 23, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  134. Ralph Beach

@jon s.... That is wrong to say! That is the type of discimination I am refering to. Are you saying that we should be like you? Just to remind you, not everyone is the same. Should the manager also just allow beautiful people to come to their business?

To other comments....Why do people compare "Humans" to "material goods"? Yes, the company should have signs up about the weight limit. But the manager didn't have to be so rude to the woman or any other person. What?, just because she manages a business? When I get married we plan to go to Hawaii 1st class... Guess who will pay for it? Me

August 23, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  135. Chris

Shame on this Salon! Rude! is Rude! Someone forgot The (Treat the
    customer with Respect ) Rule !

August 23, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  136. Kim

If the salon where to buy stronger equipment they would not have this problem. They should close down and reopen when they meet respectable standards. I wounder if broken chairs/equipment pose danger to customers. They should be inspected for this and sanitation.

Why don't the salon charge everyone 5.00? It will get there chairs paid off that much faster.

Don't get me started on discrimination. These are the same people who feed us there version of fast food, all you can eat. They don't feed us what they eat. They eat healthy and they sell us food that is not.
    Just adding to the obese problem.

They want us to stop braking there chairs they should stop braking our diets.

August 23, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  137. corrine from Santa Fe New Mexico

I agree with Alan, Their english is very hard to understand. That women should never go to a place where they have those chairs, they are very hard to clean.I know i have a salon. I feel for the client about discrimination
    i'm spanish,orgin from Spain been here when the first settlers came

August 23, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  138. fishintruth

The salon owner was wrong to charge without notification. She also could have invested in one plus size chair as smart business rather than turn away customer. Profits would easily outwiehed cost. Her action was rude to discuss it like that with the client. She was still rude in her discussion during interview. That's why I have only been in those nail salons maybe 3 times. On the last time, my toe was nicked and I got a foot fungus. I live in Atlanta and I have done survey visits to many of these salons in multiple counties and have found services and infection control practices very poor and unsafe. Americans need to know most of the people in these salons are not trained and just a way for people to get relatives into America on work visas. This industry was once well supervised and clean. Now it is like a stockyard with no privacy or grace. Once again, Americans have given up an industry to foreign workers and are now whining because not getting service and consideration as expected in American culture. What were you doing about your nails before all these cheap places cropped up? You pay $25-$40 per visit. How much would a foot tub, nail kits and polish really cost? My family have fun spa days and do our own. Why feed people who don't respect you? That use to be the American way? Like all the cheap junk we foolishly buy Made in China and whine about no jobs. Stop being economic slaves. How many hours did it take her to make $24 and get insulted? She could have spent it on her health.

August 23, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  139. BLMD

Annette, Jason, the wear and tear of equipment goes with the territory of doing business for profit. If you worry about equipment wearing out, maybe one should be working at Wal-Mart. No worries there. Think about that.

August 23, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  140. Paul Ernest Show

Simply an insulting, exploiting and desperate move by the salon and some businesses, lately. Starting with banks to airlines, these practices of attempting to create some means of making extra money from customers is slowly becoming the trend. It is equally corrupt. I think attorney generals, DAs, and the justice dept should be on the look out for these new, found ways of bilking people

August 23, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  141. Rosa Gomez

The overweight people are fat by choice, they should do exercise,
    eat healthy, and then they will see excellent results.
    The Salon owner should communicate with the client before do the service due to bad experience he has in the past, the overweight clients will be responsible for the damage they can cause to the forniture.

August 23, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  142. Gary Cooper

I think the store owner should post a charge, for fat people in the salon period. every buisness ownershould charge fat people more money for everything maybe that will give them an incentive to lose the weight what a cocept

August 23, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  143. Gary Cooper

I am fat thats my fault no one else is at fault for that and my fatness is cureable dont claim this as anyone elses fault fat people in other country's are considered wealthy cuz they know it cost money to cater to us fat people. wake up people if you cant afford to be fat lose the weight

August 23, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  144. ken

Private businesses should be able to discriminate all they want for any reason.. You as a customer have the right to go to another store. Doctors and lawyers refuse customers all the time by simply saying I will not take your case or I don't take new customers. It is time to stop all the whining about discrimination.

August 23, 2010 at 11:09 am |
  145. Ernestine Nagell

After working as a Paraegal, and having my own Accounting and Tax Prepearation business for over 30 years, I'm wondering if the owner/manager of the nail salon hasn't been told there is insurance she should have, to cover anything that happens to her equipment, and not have the reputation of being predjudiced against the obese !!!

August 23, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  146. Karen in PV

Absolutely, the salon owner has the right to charge an appropriate surcharge – i.e., airlines (not apples to apples, just an example). Absolutely, the salon owner needs to post and even possibly verbally notify the customer of the surcharge and specify the weight limit at the time of service. Customers need to be made aware of any and all costs they may incur for a service.

August 23, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  147. Dee Ward

I am very glad the the patron of the beauty spa has spoken out – THANK YOU!!. I am white, mid-60's and usually very soft spoken. Approximately 15 years ago I had the extra funds in San Jose, CA to treat myself to manicures. All manicure shops in the area were owned by non-white business people – men and women. Over several years I tried 4 to 5 shops in the area all with the same result. I would have my nailbeds burned at each shop as the operator worked, I would wince in pain and ask if they might try to be more mindful, and the operators would share their pleasure at my uncomfortable experience IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE and with accompanying giggles. I finally decided to vote financially and have never returned to a nail business or operator from the same nationality. I could only vote financially and never return to the nail shops. In the current case, I only hope that customers vote financially and stay away!!!! It is NOT an overweight issue, it is about treating the customers that WILLINGLY come to a business with fairness, courtesy, and wanting to make them a return/happy customer. P.S. I weigh 115 lbs.

August 23, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  148. Stacy

Does the owner intend to weigh every customer prior to a pedicure treatment to ensure that they do not exceed the chair's weight limit? Her decision to charge an extra fee was not based on any factual evidence but on something she discerned with her eyes alone. In addition, this was not even a charge that she explained to the customer until the customer noticed a discrepency in the charges; how often does this sort of thing go unnoticed?

August 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
  149. Jessica

Hey Leah.... wrong topic... lol

As far as the story goes I am SHOCKED to say the least! This is crazy!

If we overcharged them for not being able to understand their dialect they would be outraged.... I wouldn't have stood for the over charge either!

August 24, 2010 at 7:26 am |
  150. John Tyler Erie, Pa

Looks like businesses are riding the coattails of airlines with surcharges. If a business is going to do this it should be clearly advertised and not just added on after the service is provided. Businesses today should be more than happy to get customers coming into their business with the economy they way it is. It is also time for the consumer to stop using these businesses.

August 24, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  151. Ashley

The customer should have been notified in advance that there would be in additional charge. However, I wholeheartedly believe that if this establishment had ANY care about customer service they would seek other options such as providing larger chairs. In my opinion, investing in the funds to purchase larger chairs would be worth it if it meant keeping loyal customers. I'm sure this was embarrassing for the customer and I wouldn't be surprised if she never returned. This is all about good business practices. If they want to keep the customers they must keep the customers happy. .it’s as simple as that!

August 24, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  152. Sherita

First of all, America is known as the most obese country in the world. So if you decide to have a business here, you need to respect the ways and people that live here. I bet if she was back in her home country , she would not have direspected her customer like that. She, the airlines and and other place that decides to conduct their business here is wrong to think that it is okay to charge a person for being overweight in a country that is known for it. Accomate!

August 24, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  153. Greg, Ontario

I tend to agree with the manager but I would have handled it different. I would have a special chair or work station for Obese people and it would have a table attached for eating pizza or several other snacks and junk food that I would sell. If tubby wants a heart attack and drive up the cost of health insurance you might as well see the opportunity in it. The government and the politically correct want to protect these peoples rights to kill themselves more than my right to protect my business? Fine...but they are going to pay.

August 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
  154. Fujak

Ya know if someone was told that they were going to be charged extra because they were a "minority" or a homosexual than the whole country would be ready with their torches and pitchforks to skewer the offending merchant! Funny how if it were a different reason that this woman was charged 5 dollars extra we would see much different responses! Shame on you Salon owner, and shame on you news network for not telling us the name of the place so that people would know not to patronize such a terrible business owner!

August 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  155. Maria

I really can't believe what I'm reading. If you have a business open to the public then you take the risk for whomever patrons your business. The lady did not break anything so what gives the owner the right to charge a "just in case" fee. And the owner didn't tell the lady up front, the lady noticed the extra charge after she payed. LUDICROUS. On that note, maybe businesses could charge extra for wheelchairs, age preferences or what about wearing weave. They'd make a killing off that one. Everybody in the world is not the same. How glorious would it be if all men looked like Don King or Ted Turner. And women looked like Whoppie Goldberg or Dollie Parton. Wow what a world. Have you ever thought that maybe the lady likes the way she looks and forget about anybody who thinks otherwise.

August 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  156. Leslie Baker

i think the coustomer is right she had every right to get her money back . It doesnt matter how big you are, its a business, if she continues with that attitude, she will lose her business real quick. Thats just wrong.

August 26, 2010 at 7:54 am |
  157. Maureen Merrill

If the chair capacity is 200 pounds, It would be unsafe for the owner to allow anyone in it who weighs more than that.

August 26, 2010 at 9:09 am |