Today on CNN Newsroom

October 11th, 2010

Countdown to Election Day: Battle of the Attack Ad’s

Many are saying this is one of the nastiest elections ever! Candidates are flooding the airwaves with down right nasty ads at their opponents. Florida Democrat Allan Grayson likens his opponent Dan Webster to the Taliban. Senate Majority leader Harry Reid in three separate ads has called Sharron Angle “extreme”. Angle struck put up her fists with a mocking ad about President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid as “It maybe the most tragic love story of our time.” This has been the norm across the country and will only get worse as we get closer to November 2nd. Will these ads deter you from voting and do you even watch them?

We want to hear what you think. Kyra Phillips will read some of your responses during the 10 o’clock hour of CNN Newsroom.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Kyra Phillips
  1. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Were all just getting a preview of what the next two years are going to be like which is a bunch of back and forth fighting between the democrats and republicans and Obama wearing out ink pins vetoing bill's .

October 11, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  2. Heather

If a candidate airs negative ads, they won't get my vote. If they need to stoop that low, that isn't the kind of person I want representing me.

October 11, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  3. denise richardson

Thank goodness I'll be out of town during the elections. It is sickening watching the ads. I've already sent in my absentee ballot. I work 40 miles from home so I think this may be the way I vote from now on.

Thank goodness for cable and good books

October 11, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  4. Ronald Serafine

Any such ad is a sign that the American election process has degenerated into a disgusting game driven by sleazy politicians. What ever happened to statesmanship?

A politician's ads speak against his opponent (The politician attacks his opponent because there is nothing good to say about himself.); a statesman's ads speak for himself.....what he has done and what he intends to do if elected.

It's time for all politicians to climb out of the slime that they hurl at one another, stop the juvenile sniping and act like mature, respectable adults. We need a law that says a candidate for any public office on any level in this country cannot refer, directly or indirectly (The sleazy–forgive the redundancy–politician would try to circumvent this sensible law by saying, "I'm not the candidate who....") to his opponent in his ads.

October 11, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  5. Jackie Silva

I find the attack ads obnoxious and disruptive. They don't change my choices at all. I just switch channels to calmer viewing.

October 11, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  6. Jack Holland

Kyra – You and the rest of the Yellow Journalists at CNN are so out of touch with mainstream America, it's pathetic. You must have trouble washing the sleaze off in the morning, knowing all the propaganda you shoved down American's throats the day before. Want to know what America really thinks about you? Just set foot in any coffee shop across America. Nobody cares about most of the issues you are covering. That is why the Tea Party is winning. You should take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself on just what day it was that you sold out your soul to be manipulated by the pseudo-intellectual babbling idiots.

October 11, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  7. Bruce Molholt

Dear Kyra –

You're right. This election cycle is absolutely the most virulent I have witnessed in my 50 years of eligibility as a voter. Here in Pennsylvania virtually every contest is steeped in negativity – how horrible the opponent is and will be in Washington. It is no wonder that most Americans have a dim view of our elected politicians!

October 11, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  8. Sean Williams

I watch these ads only to see how LOW some of these politicans will stoop. Unfortunately, the nature of our country is surrounded by a lot of negativity and Dems/Reps are aware of this when creating these ads. Lets stick to the facts

October 11, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  9. Ed

The negative campaign ads have gotten out of hand. The mudslinging has reached new levels of insanity and I will not vote for anybody running the nasty, misleading ads. Why don't the candidates lay our their specific plans to fix the unemployment problem, fix the economy, fix healthcare, or tell us how they are going to fix social security etc. instead of stating they are conservatives, or good family people and their opponent is a bad person or whatever. Probably most candidates are from good families but that doesn't have anything to do with fixing the country's problems. The two parties point fingers at each other and blame the other's policies for the problems we have. Both parties are part of the problem and neither really offers a solution to the mess. Many companies are sitting on a lot of money but playing a waiting game until the election is over. Individuals are saving more now than we have done recently because of the mess our economy is in. I do not think huge tax cuts or big increases in government spending will be the answer to the problems we face due to the changes in business and personal spending. The two parties need to work together and find a path to fix the problems by changing their "old" strategies.

October 11, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  10. Alissa

Smear ads show us exactly what's wrong with our political system: 2 polarized parties that squabble and attack each other over very minor differences in their ideologies. Smart voters avoid this childishness and seek out their own forward thinking candidates, regardless of "party affiliation."

October 11, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  11. elaine

This is indeed one of the worst election seasons I have seen in a long time. The nastiest in decades. Someone threw a book at President Obama at the ralley yesterday. At the same event, a naked man attempted to streak past Mr. Obama. The ads are terrible, and lately I have muted them or simply switched the channel. Kyra, I am also so weary of the pundits and talking head sprewing out misinformation about issues.

I have now switched almost to C-Span and whitehouse.gov for accurate information. It seems as everyone is concerned only about themselves and not the country and its people. I am so tired of ME, ME, ME.

My heart goes out to President obama as he tries to wade through the nonsense and selfishness to govern the country to very difficult times.

October 11, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  12. Tom Davis

Thank goodness for the mute button. We are so tired of the repetitive negative ads, perhaps we need to follow the UK's example and limit campaining to 8 weeks before any election and eliminate TV ads altogether. The voting public is treated as if we have no idea what is going on and all we need is the 30 second sound bite to make a rational decision. I find this approach most insulting.

October 11, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  13. Cynthia

The ads are embarrassing to watch, and I definitely will not vote for anyone who throws mud, but it will not deter me from going to the polls. I wish the networks would stop running the ads, because they are sickening and very distasteful, and leaves me with a feeling of having to pull from the bottom of the barrel for a candidate worthy of my trust.

October 11, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  14. joe

i am 25 years old and i cant find a job. these politicians are talking about each other and what the other one wont do. talk about the 70% of young male minoritys not finding a job...talk about how to fix unemployment...the percentage is rising higher and higher..noone cares if he or she had a sex scandal or drinks a little...frankly i think they are preaching to the wrong choir when they put that nosense on t.v....the american people dont care about that other stuff..we just want somebody to get into office that is going to make changes..not point fingers..thank god for president obama...

October 11, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  15. Mikey

I will tell you what I wish , I wish CNN was interested in,the effect of the scotus ruling on American elections, but that would take some investigative reporting. I want to know who is funding our canidates repuiblican or democrat. To all those tea party people ,who would our founding fathers voted for in 1776, the canidates being financed by England? All this flag waving ,don't tred on me talking, but Karl Rove gets
    on Fox News and says trust him with election financing and that makes it all right ? Hypocrites.

October 11, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  16. dee

When you can not run on a record you attack........ Pay attention to who is attacking.

October 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  17. Dan

@Heather, so I guess you won't be voting. There is NOT one candidate that has ALL positiive campaining ads.

October 12, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  18. John Tyler Erie, Pa

Mud slinging campaigns are they way of the future. We will never really know where a candidate stands on the issues with the process we are subjected to. This constant distortion by all parties on TV commercial should be outlawed because the future of the country is at stake.

October 12, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  19. Dan

Dee, you are absolutely right. Both Democrats AND Republicans are attacking. Neither party is exempt.

October 12, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  20. Smiley

All I have to say is President Obama is trying to get things right. It may not be the way you think it should be but at least he's trying. And I believe in my heart the republicans are doings things on purpose to make him look bad like he's not doing anything. If you trying to block everything he's trying to do how can he do a good job....OH Ms. Kyra don't know what it is but you are looking especially radiant today. Its something different about you today..its all good. You go girl!!!

October 14, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  21. Breck DeWitt

Kyra – just an update on your story about early voting. At least for some counties, Tennessee has also begun early voting. I voted this past Saturday. TN was not identified as such on your maps.

Per the discussion on the ongoing ugliness in the election campaigns and our political system, maybe our candidates should look back to U.S. Poet Richard Amour and his comments years ago that... paraphrasing here... politics has become much more about left vs right than right vs wrong. It's time for our candidates to support what's right for their constituents more than their party!

October 18, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  22. Muin

I liked the Christine O'Donnelad. It made her likable. And the aqua budha one. That's hilarious. Christine's story is interesting. it shows everyone has the right to live the American dream. I don't understand why President won't stop campaigning for mid-term. If he could realize two weeks before election Scott Brown had it in the bag, he probably knows that mid-term is gone from democrats.

October 19, 2010 at 12:22 am |
  23. Ellen Sarns

I sure would like to find a place to go for actual information regarding a candidate's stand on issues. I want to vote based on facts, not ads. Everything I have managed to find so far on the internet is biased. Is there even such a thing available? If not, could you please devote some time to this subject instead of bombarding us with all of the juvenile behavior that is occuring during this election? Don't get me wrong, I love CNN, but I don't know how much longer I can watch this stuff . . .

October 19, 2010 at 9:10 am |