Today on CNN Newsroom

October 26th, 2010

Jury duty, paying taxes and voting?? Should voting be mandatory?

In a country that embraces democracy – the diminishing turn-out makes you wonder.

Think about it. Can you guess the biggest election this century? Obama vs. McCain in 2008? Nope. Carter vs. Reagan in 1980? Think again. It was Nixon vs. JFK in 1960! And only 64 percent of eligible voters came out to the polls. So what’s a nation to do to get more people to vote? What if – like jury duty, paying taxes, and signing up for the draft – voting was mandatory? And skirting your civic duties means you’re slapped with a big, fat fine. It’s a suggestion being toss around right now.

Tell us what you think! Do you think voting should be mandatory? Post your comments and Kyra Phillips will read some of your responses during the 10 o’clock hour.

Filed under: Anchors • Kyra Phillips
  1. Daryl Charles

I think votin should be mandatory because it is good to here what everyone else has to say than just taking one persons suggestion.
    ;^D

October 26, 2010 at 8:07 am |
  2. Southgate Jo

Constitutionally ...I don't believe it's legal to force people to vote. That of course would have to go to the supreme court. I can tell you this, there would be a strong response from the public. A revolutionary response I believe.

Is voting a must do duty? What if there are no candidates who are running that are worthy of a vote? Should we go in and tell voters to vote anyway? Should we tell them who to vote for?

The suggestion that voters should vote is just that, a suggestion. This is how it should remain. I haven't seen many worthy of being voted for in many years. Most are self serving, egotistic, blowhards who run dirty campaigns and once elected, become overwhelmingly rich. Gee wonder how that happens?

CNN efforts should be focused on broken political promises and dirty election tricks. Focus on the things voters really need to know.

October 26, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  3. Dan

I guess if you don't vote, and get slapped with a fine, that money could go to the national debt and get this debt paid off faster.

I don't know whether or not I agree with it; however, I will say this,

IF you don't vote, keep your mouth shut about who is in office.

If you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain about your elected officials.

October 26, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  4. T. Shields

I don't believe making voting mandatory would solve anything...voter apathy is higher than it has ever been and people are still finding new excuses not to exercise their right to vote. People need to understand how important their vote really is, they need to vest themselves in this country and try to make it better via their vote. Being a Vietnam vet, I believe I see how great this country is. But being born here I took many things for granted until I went over seas, that changed everything. I know what we have here and it is worth my time, my effort and my vote. Making voting mandatory would not solve the problems. As the saying goes.."You don't know what you have until you loss it"...something to think about.

October 26, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  5. BB

Southgate, I completely agree, it's kind of like "forcing" people to buy health insurance. It should be an option.

October 26, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  6. Nancy Weissberg

Take a look at all the millionaires running for office in this country. American politics looks to be completely corrupt and all about "the money" as is everything in this country.

American politicians are morally bankrupt hypocrites. Why do we continue to be disappointed when they don't represent us, they never intended to. It appears to be a totally selfish pursuit of power, connections and money.

The two party system is not serving us well. The level of corruption is just as bad as places that we choose to invade like Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm disgusted. I will vote but I feel as though there aren't any "real" choices. I'm fairly certain that's why most people are distinterested in going to the polls. It's a waste of time. It doesn't matter which party has control, the results will be the same. The control is for them not us.

October 26, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  7. Randy

its almost useless to make it mandatory who ever gets to office isnt going to make a difference they spend millions to get elected for what they can use the money for better things like homeless,jobs instead of sitting around fighting with each other and getting paid for it THEIR USELESS!

October 26, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  8. John Tyler Erie, Pa

I can pay my bills online and manage all of my financial transactions securely online so why not vote online? For those that don't trust online voting they could still go to the polls. We have the technology so why not use it.

October 27, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  9. bryan

Very bad idea!

October 27, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  10. Katrina

In a country, where one is required to register for war before one is even allowed to part take in an alcoholic beverage, should require its citizens exercise the one right granted to them that could remotely affect the aforementioned requirement. Exercise your rights.

October 27, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  11. Steve

Not voting IS a vote. It says that either I'm fine with either candidate, or that neither candidate is worthwhile or worth of my vote.

October 28, 2010 at 11:44 am |
  12. tpn51

Americans have enough on their plate with just trying to survive. How about this for an idea. Fix the existing problems that directly effect our country then worry about issues that are optional.

November 4, 2010 at 10:04 am |