Today on CNN Newsroom

October 27th, 2010

Airport Security

“Empty your Pockets” “Shoes off” “Laptops out”

British Airways Chairman Martin Broughton says there are redundant and unnecessary procedures that the U.S. TSA asks International airports to perform for all U.S. bound flights especially since travelers have already cleared security once. Broughton says, “The practice of forcing people to take off their shoes and have their laptops checked separately in security lines should be ditched.” Broughton also went onto say, “America does not do internally a lot of the things they demand that we do.” If you have flown internationally lately you will see first hand how relaxed and laid back security is at those airports compared to what is the norm at U.S. airports.

Do you agree with Chairman Broughton? Are the procedures that are used daily in U.S. airports just part of a dog and pony show to make you feel safe?

We want to hear from you! Leave your comments and Kyra Phillips will read some responses during the 10 O’clock hour.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Bob

I would rather be safe than sorry. So what if it takes an extra hour out of your life, it's better than being dead, espescially the way people feel about America at this point in time in history.

October 27, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  2. ARMAD WYATT

I don't think we do enough security at times. With the way the threat against the US is going now I don't care what some other countries airline has to say we must protect our country. So the minute we relax our security the minute something else happens so if it's a problem for passengers they should get to the airport earlier to go through those checks.

October 27, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  3. sonja

YES I absolutely agree!!
    The security procedures make it basically impossible for the people working there to focus on the important stuff; instead, they have to make sure I take off my sweater and shoes (?!).
    Yet, so many times friends tell me that they accidentally left stuff in their pockets and/or bags or purses that is "not allowed to pass through security", and it goes unnoticed! Guess what: they don't notice because the focus is on the wrong thing!

October 27, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  4. Bill from Mexico

It's all in the name of "security theater." Designed to scare us, bully us, make us compliant and give the appearance that "they" are in charge. Travel once was a wonderful experience and now has become a stressful Draconian task.

October 27, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  5. Nancy Rose

British Air chief is absolutely right. The security process can be streamlined and safety still maintained. The U.S. has wasted billions and made flying unpleasant...mostly the security regulations. What Al Quaida didn't accomplish the American reaction and fear tactics did. We need to stop living in fear and understand events do happen in the real world.

October 27, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  6. Southgate Jo

Kyra ...we both know that our airport security procedures are a knee jerk reaction by our TSA to help us feel safe in the air. I fly quite a bit. I have been subject to just about all the procedures TSA has. They are confronting an enemy who wants to destroy us. Personally, I think they are doing a pretty good job, given the volume they face on a daily basis. Knee jerk reaction or not, they have gone from trying to sort things out after 911, to an above average job in keeping us safe. Just because some English or European expert says they are too intrusive, is no reason to change one thing. We need to remember that most of threats that have passed security, and actually reached the United States have come from Europe. I am not confident that the Europeans are doing such a great job at security that they can criticize the best security group (given the circumstances) in the industry. Kudos to the TSA it's not perfect but it works!

October 27, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  7. Larry in Atlanta

It does no good what so ever! The whole Airport Security thing is a feel good operation. I have gone thru security many times with my cigarette lighter in my shirt pocket (when in was not allowed) and with my cell phone in my suit coat pocket. Bush started it as a Welfare Operation to keep the unemployment low after 911.

October 27, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  8. Miriam Rodriguez

Re: TSA practices
    It is a major Dog & Pony show. It is stupid to think that taking off my shoes will protect me. The profile of every passenger has enough information to vet out the innocent from the suspicious. Last guy in Amsterdam that caused a scare: it was his last minute reservation, with cash payment, without a suitcase were the red flags, not his shoes!
    As a business traveller with 3 million at AA, my profile has been sniffed, scanned and stamped, let me travel in peace. Unfortunately, the TSA, a deliverable from the Bush adminstration, the modern day Keystone cops!!!!

October 27, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  9. Joey

I travel with two laptops, two iPads, two iPods and several other electronic devices along with their power cables, etc...all in my carry-on, and it can be quite a task removing and replacing them everytime I go through aiport security. However, if this minor inconvenience is the pittance I have to pay to help assure a safe flight for me and my co-flyers, I will gladly endure the hassle.

October 27, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  10. Relteh

What should be improved at airport security points, all over the country, is the TSA. There are too many TSA agents stealing from the airline customers.
    Taking off my shoes or laptop, is an inconvenience and time consuming, but it doesn't bother me. I always give myself plenty of time.
    Bye for now.

October 27, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  11. diane

the only time I've gone through an actual search was in a UK airport
    twice, one at security and again before boarding the plane, It is well known the processes one has to go through with airport security so it's very easy to be prepared for it.

October 27, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  12. Bob

Robert's has nothing better to do than file a law-suit that endangers the safety and security of others. Lawyers of course will do whatever they can to earn a dollar and cost tax payers and those who actually pay the bill more.

October 27, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  13. Dave

I travel every week for my job and I completely disagree with the gentleman who is complaining about security measures. We live in a world where terrorism is real and security is necessary. If you don't want to be searched then drive or take a boat.

October 27, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  14. Sandy

As an airline employee that goes thru theTSA every day, I'm annoyed that my cottage cheese gets confiscated randomly because, depending on which TSA employee is working, it is considered a liquid and thus a "threat". Yet, a passenger in front of me will plead to let them take their toothpaste through and get away with it. First we need consistency, then we need logic.

October 27, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  15. suman

If the pilot actually had an experience of 'fondling' or inappropriate touching like he said, the officer who did that should probably be questioned! I travel a lot too, but haven't had a 'personal violation' kind of experience myself. We work in offices where we swipe our IDs each time we have to visit a washroom. Security is a necessity, everyone must comply..

October 27, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  16. Chuck

Flying in not a right. If you don't want to go throught the TSA security procedures then don't fly. You have a choice.

To say this violates the 4th Amendment is just silly. The 4th Amendment protects you in your home or just walking down the street.

In those situations you should expect privacy.

October 27, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  17. Matt Rinkenberger

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"
    – Ben Franklin

October 27, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  18. Gaston Hinostroza

Whats the Franklin/Jefferson quote? "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

Like Bill said, a long as our 'Big Brother' keeps scaring us with tories of the boogie man hiding in our closet we are going to be a country of chicken littles scared of every lightening clap.

October 27, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  19. Joan Shaw

I'm 77 years old, love to travel.Now with arthritis that makes it difficult to take shoes on and off & hip replacement that gets full scan I say lets get real! Who am I a threat to!!!!

October 27, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  20. Todd

The security measures are the least uncomfortable part of flying. Overbooked flights, charges for everything except the bathroom and crammed in like sardines. Just flew from Las Vegas to Detroit Sunday. Will only fly again if driving is not an option.

October 27, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  21. Melike Monahan

Constitution this, constitution that. When the constitution was written, there was no history of jets with 200 people crashing into building or being bombed in midair. Let's use common sense. Shame on the pilot suing because his rights were violated. I bet if something happened to his airplane and the airlines were not screening, his own family would have sued for the lack of proper screening.

October 27, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  22. Emo LeBlanc

I am a performer and I travel with my Guitar and I get through security in less than 2 minutes. I am alway prepared. I have all the stuff that goes into the tray in a bag in my pocket (metal item only) so when I get to the stop of having to put those item into the tray I take them out of my pocket and then into the tray. My shoes, I have never been asked to take them off. My guitar in on the conveyer belt to be scanned and then I bring it on board with me. Going through security would be a lot faster if people were prepared !

October 27, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  23. William

The security of the flying public is of utmost importance and this pilot should know this. In the light of the attempted bombing by Adbulmutallab using non metallic explosive hidden in the most private of parts, it is clear that the pat-down is necessary. The attorney speaks of "suspected criminal activity" how would you know if a person is carrying a Mutallab type device if the person isn't given a thorough search. I would appreciate if the court ruled against this pilot. Frankly speaking if these are his thoughts then I don't want to be on a plane he is flying.
    I really don't know why people are against the scanner, the images it produces doesn't really show you naked, it only shows outlines and negative images. If you can take X-rays, CT scans and MRIs how is this different?

October 27, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  24. Imani

I feel like the staff hired to work as airport security are not paid enough nor are they trained enough to actually provide 'security'. The staff may go through training to implement the strategies and policies, yet, intellectual or critical thinking is not used or needed to apply these 'security measures'. I compare it to having a car alarm. They only appear to be secure. Loud beeping does not stop the intentions of the criminal attempting to steal it or vandalise it. It is all an illusion of security with no real benefits. Why should people allow the violation of their body for the sake of appearing secure?

October 27, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  25. Tim Rice

Kyra, just viewed you piece on airline travel. I am a business man who will log close to 200 nights out of town this year. On average I fly and go through security at least twice a week. I went through the x-ray system at Logan Airport in Boston recently and LOVED it! Wow, through in virtually no time at all.
    I would rather have a detered method in the airport than to discover we have a major problem once in the air.
    Take offs are optional....landings aren't. I would rather take off knowing my odds of landing on a runway of my choosen destination are very good....as opposed to coming down in 100 pieces.
    By the way, I have never had anyone run their hands over my private areas or feel my butt.

October 27, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  26. Doug

As a weekly traveler on the airlines I believe the security measures are obscene. Taking off our shoes does little to protect us, and in fact, I'm of the belief by taking longer to process us through security presents a large and prime target for a potential terrorist attack while we're all corralled in line waiting to be scanned.

One guy tries to bomb a plane with his shoe and we have to all have our shoes scanned. I started to get really nervous when the underwear bomber attacked.

October 27, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  27. Brian

Lets not forget that people who set out to do harm will do anything they can to achieve their goals. That means the will hide things in places in which they believe no one will check. Safety should be our top priority. I more then welcome being search if it will help keep us safe.

October 27, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  28. Meggie

As an airline crew member, I have been finger printed and had a background check. I am cleared by the FAA to fly, but the TSA feels they have to make themselves look important at security. When every piece of checked luggage AND cargo gets scanned, then they can scan me.

October 27, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  29. Fred

As a Canadian, I try to fly over the US rather than be subjected to US security during a transfer. Unfortunately Canada is following the US dog and pony show, except we now get to keep our shoes on for health reasons and we, like you, can continue to carry lethal ball point pens. It mostly is about appearances when ballpoints are okay, but a small nail file or nail clippers are "weapons."

October 27, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  30. Anne

I am 63 and have gray hair. I have had both knees replaced. My metal knees set off the alarm. Seniors with other replaced parts, such as hips, and other devices, such as pacemakers, are subjected to being patted down or scanned. We are probably the largest group subjected to this indignity. We are also probably the least likely to be terrorists.

October 27, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  31. AFIsmailoglu

As an airline pilot, flight crewmembers should be exempt from the aforementioned security theatrics. There is NOTHING TSA could ever take from a person who has unrestricted access to the flight deck and/or is manipulating the controls, to enhance safety, as they put it. We could walk to work naked, pass by "security" and do just as much damage considering how TSA things we are a threat. Furthermore, don't agitate my passengers and then cram them on my plane. Where's the safety in that?! Of the few times I have had in-flight security issue ALL of the prosecuted claim their stressful day began with TSA drama.

October 27, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  32. Joseph C.

I recently went through security with my three month old. She is transitioning from 2oz nursette bottles to 6oz nursette bottles. Once you open them they are good for only 2 hours. All 12 of the 2oz bottles went through without a second look but we had to open (and ruin) the six 6oz bottles so they could be swabbed and tested explosives and bio agents etc. Call me crazy, but if someone were so inclined as to carry something terrible like that on a flight, appearantly they could sneak just as much through in 2oz bottles as they could in anything else.
    Like everything else in Gov't today, most of what the TSA does is pointless window dressing to make the people feel better. Pretty soon we'll all be flying naked.

October 27, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  33. kirk

As an airline employee I can assure you that TSA security is 1) to stop a crazy person from waking up in the am and deciding to get a weapon onto a airplane and 2) so the traveling public feels safe and thinks the government is protecting them. Just think of the last attempted bombing by the underwear bomber he was a kid with minimal training and made it on the plane. Do you think a intelligent, well trained , well financed terrorist cant get on a plane? Basically the TSA is a show for the traveling public and most people go I'll gladly help to stop terrorist when its a joke thinking you taking your shoes off and taking your computer out of your bag is going to help catch the really scary bad guy terrorist.

October 27, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  34. Frank

I am a former TSA officer now a civilian. Airport security however
    invasive is now a must. We now live in a time where this nation
    must protect it self and the flying public from the constant threat
    of terrorism. In regards to flight crews, they are subjected to the
    same rules as the flying public and have been for some time.
    So whats the problem? In conclusion,
    I'd like to add that as a former TSA officer, we are also subjected
    to periodic body searches. There are no exceptions to the
    TSA security rules and rightly so.

October 27, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  35. R L Jackson

I'm 57 years old, a woman, always on a cane, and I tell the TSA folks as I approach the metal detector, I have a fake knee, a titanium rod going down into my leg, and I offer them my card from the orthopaedist. Not once has anyone taken the card. I am herded into a corner, without being able to grab my purse or carryon before I am "checked." Normally, I travel with my husband, who can look in the direction of my items, but coming home from St Thomas in Julty, I was by myself. I was taken away from my bags, and I saw a young man going through my purse. He was holding my bag of prescription meds, and was going through them. At this point, I refused to go with the woman and demanded my purse. I was polite and did not raise my voice, but I told her I was not moving to where I could not see my purse. She refused to let me touch it, but very angrily got it and brought it with us. I was treated very roughly and my body was searched in what I would call a very explicit manner. I don't appreciate a woman putting her hands all over inside my legs, actually touching my crotch. My breasts were also given the once over, and she did not go near my false knee. There is absolutely no reason I should have had to leave my bags behind. My computer was in the other bag. I was made to sit for about 45 mins. There is no excuse. When I got home, I found a brand new prescription for migraines, a mild pill containing a narcotic, was gone, as was my prescription for muscle relaxers. The previous trip, I lost a dress and a new pair of pants, which could have occurred in Miami. I am sick of being treated like a criminal. I am not. The great thing about the airports that do have a scanner is you go right through, when it is a full body scanner. I like them; they would catch a gun, knife or box cutter. Thanks.

October 27, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  36. Tony J.

This a complete waste or time and money. How much does one those body scanners cost? Is that the reason for the extra fees? Security? Well how come the cargo bags aren't scanned? Perhaps the terrorist wouldn't put a bomb under the plane, blow it up next to five or more fully fueled planes. Oops! my bad. Better work on that "security"

October 27, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  37. Donna Shelley

The comments made by the British Airways chairman are nothing more than a prime example of the saying "How quickly we forget.". Taking our shoes off is "unnecessary"? Hello? Remember Richard Reed (sp?) What about the "underwear bomber"? Yes, it's a hassle going through all these check procedures, but better the minor inconvenience of scans, pat downs, etc., than the risk of another crackpot slipping an explosive onto a flight. The only reason the two cases I mentioned didn't end tragically was because the devices didn't work (and also, other passengers noticed something was wrong). We cannot take the chance that we will be that lucky again. Whatever we have to do for the sake of security and safety, that's what we should do.

October 27, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  38. Kathy

I was supportive of all measures implemented by the TSA to insure our safety until I was targeted in a full body scan. I'm a breast cancer survivor and have a reconstructive implant. I was pulled aside, asked about my medical history and then given a full boy search despite having compliantly disclosed my medical information. I have never felt so violated and literally shook afterward. You would think that they would be trained on how to recognize common medical implants and devices. (I am a retired Army veteran currently working as a contractor supporting the USCG and Homeland Security)

October 27, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  39. Angela Tacoma Washington

First of all sounds like this gentleman may have had touching issues long before we got to the safety issues at the airport... Do I want him as my spokesperson because of his position NO...a hassle yes, but everyone goes though the same hassle. His best safety suggestion... they get to know us personally? iWith that comment alone makes him appear naive and uneducated, for lack of a better term... How do you get to know a persons motives, by appearance, and a short conversation. He should consider a new profession seriously...

October 27, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  40. William

Re: TSA Security Procedures
    Since my late teens, 45 years ago, I have travelled all over the world and found that getting there (wherever) was half of the pleasure of travel. NO MORE! Someone should look at the monetary incentive for TSA's procedures. No doubt, most TSA 'personnel' are provided on a contractual basis to TSA. The companies that provide this 'service', the owners of those companies, and their revenue for providing those 'services' would be very interesting. We might learn that the owners of those companies are already well-known in corporate and political circles. I suspect such an investigation will shed light on the reason for such unintelligent, false-sense-of-security, wasteful, and frustrating 'security measures' at airports.

October 27, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  41. sami

if TSA worrys about security how come every time i travel i do it with my lighter in my pocket (smoker ) would you say a lighter is danger to bring it on the plane? its sad to see all that money its spend for what / nothing!

October 27, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  42. SNOOPI

I have Cerebral Palsy and I'm in a wheelchair. When I fly it scares me to death! I'm no terrorist, but there are many areas on my wheelchair that are never searched; my cushions, under my seat, I have removable caps on the frame of my wheelchair where anything could be hidden, I'm never removed from my wheelchair and so I could simply be sitting on a weapon or anything that I wanted to sneak in.

I fly a lot and there was only one time when the search was to the point where I felt it was worth it. I know without a doubt I could sneak anything past security. So if a terrorist was smart, they'd simply go through security in an electric wheelchair, and then enter a bathroom and retrieve what they snuck in and then board the aircraft. That's scary!

October 27, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  43. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Searching the pilot is a ridiculous the pilot dosnt need a weapon or a bomb to bring the plan down or crash it into a building T.S.A. has people working for them that have no brains .

October 27, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  44. Tod

I am a scientist/physicist. I hate flying now. Let me tell you this, what they do not want you to know is that there are weapons and explosives that can make it through security. The question is, how many people are trying to bring these things through the airport? Statistically, out of 1 million passengers, the answer is 0.01. Meaning that, "maybe" 1 in 100 million will try to do this. Indiscriminate body scans and pat downs will not stop this. The only thing that can stop this is intelligence on the passengers. Stop wasting time and money trying to check every passenger for these things because you are likely to find things that are of no danger whatsoever to other people, like drugs that are for personal use. This opens new doors to stopping people from transporting legal or illegal drugs. For example, if Ca passes prop 19, people will be traveling to Ca to by pot. What do you think they will be focused on at the Ca airports when leaving? Definitely not weapons! Now this becomes a tactic to violate our personal freedoms and pursuit of happiness. We should have no reason to fear traveling, because it is more likely the plane will crash do to a mechanical failure than from someone blowing the plane up or taking it over. Now if people in general were more observant, then someone who is suspicious wanting to kill others will be quite visible. People in general need to have more guts to stop someone who is a threat and not just leave it to the government. I would die to save the lives of the people on a plane because it is just the right thing to do. If we could all carry our guns, then who in their right mind would try to take over a plane? That's real security. I would feel totally secure if I had my gun with me, because I know I could protect myself and the people on the plane. But what if an explosive device gets on in the luggage due to a failure of the bag scanning, there is nothing you can do. So, the best way is to identify the passengers through intelligence for possible threats and scrutinize only those individuals.

October 27, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  45. David Cates

Americans deserve and demand security, certainly I agree with that. In my opinion I do not believe my privacy or civil rights are violated. Clearly the intent is to provide security, nothing more. I believe when you choose to use public transportation you agree to respect the rules weather it is driving a car, using a train, or flying. It's simple for me, if you do not like the rules, protecting all passengers, do not fly.

October 27, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  46. Linn

People need to be aware they can "opt out" of the invasive TSA naked body scanners. Not only is it an invasion of privacy, but everytime you expose your body to radiation it raises health risks. If one opts out, they are subjected to "the pat down". This is most certainly degrading. Being patted down in the private area is not something I would look forward to on my next trip to Disneyworld with my family. I will not put my kids through the insanity. Our next trip we will be driving the 1000 miles to Florida. Metal detectors provide enough security. Don't let our freedoms and rights blindy dissapear, a little control here and little control there... slowly we are becoming less and less of a free nation.

October 27, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  47. Josh

Hi Kyra,

I am very frustrated with this airline pilot that thinks he knows everything about security. All the security measures that we have to endure are based on previous attempts by terrorist to attack us and hurt us. Many of which stem from plots by Ramzi Yousef. Yousef of course is the "mastermind" behind the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. He was arrested in the Philipines while working on his "Bojinka" plot. This plan called for the simulataneous bombing of multiple airliners. The bomb itself was a liquid based bomb that was comprised of a contact saline solution bottle, 9 volt battery and a casio watch. The bomber would go to the bathroom and put the bomb together, then return to his seat, securing the bomb under the seat in the lifevest compartment. The bomb would be timed to explode during the next flight, after the terrorist was long gone.

Yousef was able to smuggle a contact saline bottle of liquid through security with no problems back then. The 9 volt battery was smuggled in hollowed out portions in the heels of his shoes. Standard walk through metal detectors don't scan the first six inches up from the floor. This allowed anyone to keep their feet low as they walked and successfully make it through a metal detector with anything concealed in the soles of their shoes. I don't know why it took so long for these protective measures to be put in place. Yousef was arrested in 1995 but the corrective measures were not put into place until much later.

I work for the government and travel alot. I am not a fan of long security lines and TSA, but I certainly recognize the necessity. So I shut up and stand there. Very much like this airline pilot thats making all this noise should do.

Thanks,

Josh

October 27, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  48. Kari Powell

I am so frustrated when traveling with my children. Not only do they go through my 7 year old daughters belongings, but also insist on making her take off her sweater and shoes too. Where does the line end? We are entering into an abyss that will end in a "policed state."

October 27, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  49. Dave J

This whole debate is nuts.....god for bid we have another event, those people who oppose these screening proceedures will go into hiding or if they are on one of those flights will be the first ones to file suit because the TSA and the FAA did not do enough.....for 25 years I did over 3 Million air miles and never had any issues with security (worldwide). I was also on the very last flight out of Boston Sept 10th, stuck in London for 8 days......I could of easily have been (and have been on those flights prior to the tragedy numerous times).

The FAA and the TSA make it eaiser for those who travel all the time to get through security, with express lines, etc, for those who travel once or twice a year...let's suck it up and in this case, because going a bit overboardin this case is worth the results to avoid any repeat of 9/11. 10 years and we are not close to being over it, and never will, do we really want to go through that again?

BTW the pilot would dis-regard the constitution for "profiling" ("get to know us better") but we can't be patted down, with the back of the TSA's hand?

Thanks,

dj

October 27, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  50. Dean

To fly or not to fly?? To be a pilot or not to be a pilot?? Both are choices one makes and in doing so you accept the requirements set forth. Roberts is grinding for TV time and fame by chasing a shadow. If something personally offends you, quit!! Don't do it!! Go mow lawns or something for a living, take a bus, walk. There is no violation of your rights or the Constitution if you have entered into the act of your own free will. I say screen them, search them and shake them down. By the way...since when are pilots immune to committing random acts of violence?

October 27, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  51. William

"Taking our shoes off is "unnecessary"? Hello? Remember Richard Reed (sp?) What about the "underwear bomber"? " Donna Shelley

Logic would dictate, therefore, that we take off our underwear to have it inspected. If so, for the first time, I would feel pity for the TSA personnel.

October 27, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  52. Adam

This is a very dangerous path for TSA to cross as this device can potentially induce or contribute to superficial lesions such as in the case of the skin cancers. On the other hand I don`t believe that these devices have been regulated. Although the output might have had been checked at the time of installation, I don`t know if there are any protocols for their daily output checks or routine QAs. The government is coming down hard on restricting medically necessary doses, how could this be allowed? As a result, I wouldn`t allow my body to be subjected to such an unnecessary dose of radiation, which is an unknown and unaccounted exposure. They can use their plan B on me. This can be basis of much bigger, more successful lawsuits against TSA.

October 27, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  53. John

I do agree that a lot of the security is kind of a show put on for the public and it can be stream lined. But living in the times we are in, some sacrifies have to be made as far as security goes. Security needs to be left to security experts. The pilot needs to worry about flying plane. Don't think he wants to hear me tell him how to fly the plane. I am a Deputy Sheriff who works in a county jail. We do pat searches, strip searches and use metal detectors. Every time a detainee enters, leaves and returns the facility. They are put through this procedure. But contrand such as drugs and weapons still get in the facility. You got to remember the people trying to cause us harm have all the time in the world to figure out how to defeat the counter measures. that are in place.

October 27, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  54. Tod

Best solution to change things, start driving, take more time to see the US while driving, and stay away from airports unless you have your own plane and do not have to go through security. I drive everywhere in the US and I rarely go to Europe so I fly very little. Stop flying because of the ridiculous security and watch the security change when the airlines bottom line starts hurting.
    We will never forget 9/11, but we CANNOT live our lives in fear, this is not the way to live. For those who like more security, go live in a communist country for a while because security only gives you fools a false sense of security. Those of us who are intelligent enough to actually make weapons and explosives would find a way to cause harm if we wanted to, but why would any "intelligent" human want to kill others??
    Use "intelligence" to find the bad people, if one slips through, well, that's a probability you will have to deal with. If we have "intelligent" people doing the intelligence, then we can sort those bad people out of a group of good people, it is not that hard and anyone who thinks it is hard, is not that intelligent. ie: IQ<120

October 27, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  55. Stuart Oliver

How grateful we are for the strict security checks imposed by the US. All you have to do is arrive at the airport early enough and its just a matter of course. We feel more secure when we hear "Shoes off please" remembering clearly the bomb threat of the guy who hid and explosive device in his shoe heel. British travellers seem to be far too complacent about these things. To heck with the BA chairmans opinion.

October 27, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
  56. Diane

The BA Chairmans opinion is so silly. How soon we forget the threat our world peace was under when 9/11 happened. I travel to the US often and yes it is a pain having to stand in queues, and do the whole security thing but what is the other option. Just let everybody through and hope for the best. Silly man needs a sharp reminder of what happens when people decide they must blow up planes at any cost, even their own lives. I am garateful we have people sensible enough to keep these security procedures in place that take a little time out of our lives to try to keep us safe.
    You choose which plane you would fly on. One where the passangers had gone through strict security or One where the passengers were denied this. I know which one I would go for.

October 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  57. Richard

Hello,kyra am Roichard the security movement is very slow in which the passeneger is not comfortable with their body be watch by the security officers especially the female's. The best way to resovle this issues is to bring up hand devices that is connected to the computer by which the movement we speed up and no body we be happy of late flight

October 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  58. Joanna

I admit, the long lines at security are a pain and a frustration, and taking off your shoes and other procedures may be unnecessary most of the time. However, things in the past have posed a necessity for SOME type of precautions, and though they may be annoyances, they are something small and pretty much effortless that everyone can do just to be on the safe side.

October 28, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  59. John Tyler Erie, Pa

I don't think that security checks are consistent. In my carry on I have a variety of battery charges, at least 7 for every thing from electric shaver, camera chargers and ipod chargers. I keep them in a plastic bag and they show up on the X-ray as a tangled mess of wires and various size cubes. I've been through airports in Europe and US. I was only stopped once at a security check point for a manual check and it was a puddle jumping flight on a commuter airline not even going to a major airport. I would expect to be stopped at a major airport but haven't. I have been traveling with these devices since 2004. I don't think there is a very consistent method of checking bags I would expect the contents of my carry on to be a red flag but they aren't.

October 28, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  60. Dave

The TSA is a colossal waste of money and resources. Their idiotic rules and procedures do absoluntely nothing to make flying safer!

October 28, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  61. Joerg Haentzschel

Airport security is pure spectacle, and a wonderful chance for authoritative bully types to live out their phantasies of power. We're being yelled at like recruits in a military drill. It's sad. Lots of the cargo is going into the airplanes unscreened. At the same time, people who have already been identified as potential terrorists still make it into planes just like on 9/11 because all these different government organizations are drowning in worthless data.

October 28, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  62. Gary

I now wear the most loose, sloppy clothing I can for air travel. If I am going to have my "scrotilia" handled by a TSA pervert and sit in a plane seat that is probably filthy (sometimes even in what passes for first class), why bother keeping up appearances?

November 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  63. Marc

As a person with two artifical hips I would much rather go through a scanner than have a "full-body" pat down. I light up the metal detectors but the scanners generally let me pass. The new TSA pat down procedure is more than a bit shocking. They are very invasive to one's "personal space". They did away with the hand held metal detectors so now no part of the body is off limits for the roving hands of the TSA inspector. I flew just this week and haven't been touched that way since my last physical. There must be some considerations made for us with medical implants.

November 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 18,848 other followers