Today on CNN Newsroom

November 10th, 2010

THE BIG I: Robot Used To Help Paralyzed Walk

Today's Big I is all about eLEGS. Its a wearable, bionic device that enables people who are paralyzed to walk. The technology was developed at Berkeley Bionics.

To check out eLEGS, click here.

To check out other research going on at Berkeley Bionics, click here.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors • The Big I
  1. Raymond Bechard

Ali,

Far and away the best thing I've seen on CNN or any other news channel in a long time. Well, maybe since the Chilean miners were freed. This story had everything that CNN does best: Discovery life-changing information and presenting it in a way that moves the heart and mind.
    Thank you.

November 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  2. George Phillips

Great job Berkeley Bionics!! Thanks for showing this device Ali V. this is going to be big.

November 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  3. Raymond Bechard

Ali,

Far and away the best thing I've seen on CNN or any other news channel in a long time. Well, maybe since the Chilean miners were freed. This story had everything that CNN does best: Discovering life-changing information and presenting it in a way that moves the heart and mind.
    Thank you.

November 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  4. Jereal Brown

I too have worked on a project for a number of years, to locate and identify Oil,Gas and Water from the surface with "Frequency Analysis".
    I have successfully drilled several Oil wells and numberous Water wells and would like to send you some pictures of the results.
    Perhaps Ali would like to see it work!!!
    I could email pictures of the wells blowing Oil
    Jereal Bro

November 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  5. Judith McMichael

This was an incredibly moving story. In this case, seeing the joy on your guests face was so uplifting. The power of technology to turn her life around is just astonishing. A great story. Thanks

November 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  6. RLS

Great story! I just watched it and almost cried at how happy the lady is. Awesome, as Alis's show always is.
    I hope you can put the video on the website, I would love to send the link to some friends.

November 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  7. Marian

Omg! Truly an amazing story for everyone involved including Amanda, this is what the future holds for people that can't hold, I want to see more powerful stories like this! =)

November 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  8. Michael

Ali, I thought you were always doing a good job at CNN but thought you more of a business reporter and not a general news reporter. You have growing on me and the family over the past few months and watching you today interview the designer and "test pilot" of this amazing machine was beautiful. You asked the questions that my daughter and I had on our lips as we watched. It was a great "get" for you and a perfect match for everyone involved. You are now my firmlies " favorite news reporter" regardless of the genre.

November 10, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  9. Jennifer Crowley

As a Certified LIfe Care Planner, this certainly can change the life care plan for those who were told they would never walk again! When will it be available? I can sure bet there are many who would pay anything to stand upright and move forward!
    Absolutely amazing!

November 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  10. Wes

I am a disabled design engineer and architect. I fell 60 feet 15 years ago that left me a paraplegic. The technology seen in the CNN piece is primitive and unnecessary if the engineers would only think in a non linear fashion. Hint: use a quilted poly suit with tri-axial MEMS accelerometers and a gyro with contractile polymers in the quilted regions controlled by a simple microprocessor. Think piezo-electric, nano, and other exotic processes in the overall design scheme. All in all I give the design seen on TV a C+, mainly for effort. I had that design 13 years ago. As a country we are woefully falling behind in ideas, creativity, imagination, and industry.

November 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  11. Lynn Avery

As a person who uses the tool of a wheelchair, I am dumb-founded as to why anyone would want to make themselves look like a robot just to be at “normal” height. I feel deeply sorry for individuals who consider themselves as“confined” to a wheelchair. Wheelchairs are TOOLS, like glasses. Not restraints!

November 10, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  12. Walt Timm

Boy, talk about being lifted up to more than I could be! I don't believe I've ever witnessed someone who truly and ever-so-deeply, expressed such feelings and emotions, as did this very blessed young lady. The radiance of her faith and hope literally over shadowed the lights of the set.

What a treat (that's big time for me) it was to have the TV on while I was working at the computer. I've been blessed by the report, as have millions of others and I'm envious of the hug you received as it certainly was one of a "thankful bear who just discovered the mother lode of honey."

I pray the Lord’s continued blessings on her journey of faith walk and for you, Ali, in your news reporting ministry.

November 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  13. Arnold (Arne)Johnson

Hearing your report of major losses of income to charitable organizations due to the economy has been compounded by the New York office of the I.R.S.
    That office declared on August 22, 2010 via letter to this taxpayer that weekly donations to Churches, Temples, Synagogues, or others, that is customarily deposited into baskets passed around or placed in other containers of the house of worship to carry out the Church, Synagogue, or Temple mission of helping those unfortunate persons of the community are no longer accepted as bonifide tax deductions by this office of the IRS without a dated receipt with the amount donated, and the name of the organization.

In addition, donations of clothing or furniture to organizations such as the Salvation Army, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Goodwill Industries, Lupus Foundation of America, The Ovarian Cancer Research Fund, and many others that solicit used clothing or furniture that rely upon their collection from residents of this clothing, etc., that they , then give away, or re-sell it at thrift shops, and
    The profits from these re-sales support their on-going aid to those unfortunate people in need.

This will be subject to the IRS Holtsville, N.Y. office interpretation that is in defiance of the directions printed on IRS Form 8283

As filed by the IRS Holtsville, N.Y. office on May 27, 2010 and received by the taxpayer, Under Direction of Diane Muse, Operations Manager.

November 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  14. Michael Armstrong Sr.

What's the M.P.G. for that thing .

November 10, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  15. Lynn M. Kirchner

Ali
    You have discovered the beautiful Amanda Boxtel from our little community here in Colorado. eLEGS could not have found a better spokesperson as Amanda's passion for living in faith and not fear is clearly evident in the ground breaking things she has done to move forward and defy the doctors who once told her "you will never walk again." She is an inspiration to everyone she meets. Her quest, her mission, her belief that she will walk is a reality and is hope for everyone who is challenged with a disability. Thank you for featuring Amanda on CNN, she is an amazing woman and one of the best motivational speakers you could ever hear. She is my hero, my soul sister and everyone here is so very proud of her. xoxo

November 11, 2010 at 12:16 am |
  16. Edgar

I'm loving this article,this is amazing! will most definitely share this with my friends,technology has come really far .i have an app which has become my favorite app in the iTunes store to help guide me through my local shopping mall and it's called FastMall, It navigates me and finds me elevator ONLY routes to make getting around the mall a lot faster and easier,and it offers so much more,FREE as well so definitely worth the download

November 11, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  17. Karen Owen

Are they ever going to do something that quadralegics can use? You definetly need triceps for this. What is the cost? A normal electric chair on average is about 18 thousand..this must be way too expensive to afford.

November 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm |