Today on CNN Newsroom

December 12th, 2010

Steve Harvey: 'I don't have female friends'

Relationship guru Steve Harvey gives his answer to the age-old question tackled in the popular iconic movie "When Harry Met Sally." Can men and women just be friends?

Filed under: Fredricka Whitfield
  1. Bar Beach Boy

Steve needs to develop his personality; to say that he cannot have a female friend is just childish. So are we to read from this that when Steve meets a woman, "she must be his"? I sometimes wonder why people take much of what Steve says seriously on relationships, the man is clueless. Some great relationships have started from friendships not "hound-dog bar sessions"!

December 12, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  2. David

He's a comedian.

December 13, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  3. Kimate Richards

I am a heterosexual male and I have mostly female friends, they give me advice on relating with females and they pose no threat to my current relationship. To postulate that men are incapable of normal interaction with the opposite sex is ridiculous. This seems like a person view and objectification of the female sex and suggests that females have nothing to offer a male in a companionship other than intimacy.

December 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  4. C-Dub

His theory is right, but woefully incomplete.

I just take issue with the fact that he thinks all us guys are just waiting in the wings to get with one of our female friends. While it might be true in some cases, in a lot of cases as a guy, you get tired of waiting, and that friend, becomes just that a friend.

The idea that I'm gonna carry a torch for some women that is not interested in me romantically for that long (I have female friendships that span a decade and longer) is pretty ridiculous.

Not to mention, that sometimes you do befriend a woman out of initial interest in her, and as you get to know her, you realize that she's not your type of woman, and you just let the friendship be. It's not always out of the woman's non-interest.

So I can't say he's wrong, but it's more complicated than that. I believe men and women can be friends, but it takes eventual non-interest on one or both party's side.

December 13, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  5. Malik

@Bar Beach Boy

Your statement that "Great relationships have started from friendships" is making his point. He is saying that men and women are only friends due to the woman deciding that she wants nothing more than that. He is saying that men will accept "friendship" only because they are hoping for more. Hence, being married, if he is not looking for anything more, then there is no point in being "friends"

December 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  6. aj

obviously u are missing the point, bar beach boy. he's never said anything about female friends and quality of relationships, he's saying that men have female friends who at an instant, would sleep with a woman if they showed signs of interest. that's why he doesn't have female friends, because he doesn't wnat to involve himself with that temptation.

i always find it funny how people insult people when they didn't even make an effort to listen to the person

December 13, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  7. CJ

If are getting relationship advice from a comedian... your relationship will be a JOKE.

December 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 20,707 other followers