Today on CNN Newsroom

December 13th, 2010

VA Judge Rules Against Health Care Bill

To check out the complete health care ruling from the Virginia judge, click here.

For more details on the ruling, check out this report from CNN Supreme Court producer Bill Mears.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors
  1. Pam Olberg

Then is requiring individuals to carry auto insurance legal? And how about mortgage companies requiring homeowners insurance?

December 13, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  2. bob graham/highlands ranch, co

Regarding insurance decision...Doesn't this relate to mandatory auto insurance as well? Or mandatory insurance of any sort? Having had mandatory auto insurance over a period of several years does this not become law of the land? Many questions in my mind as to relativity of all insurance which is made mandatory, by private or public concerns..

December 13, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  3. Jim

Ali – Do you know what the average family of four will be required to pay for ObamaCare health insurance? My family's coverage costs $12,000 per year – my company pays 80% and I pay 20%. Will those being required to buy insurance be able to afford $12,000 per year for ObamaCare coverage?

December 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  4. Wayne Harvey SFC US Army Retired

There has been nearly universal applause for one provision of the national health care reform that allows children without access to employer-provided health care insurance to stay on a parent's policy until age 26. Many insurance companies have already implemented this provision.
    Millions of civilian families already have taken advantage of the new health care reform law allowing children without access to employer health
    coverage to stay on the parent's family policy until age 26, without any extra premium. Because TRICARE is governed by separate law, Congress must pass additional legislation to cover military children until age 26. The still to be enacted 2011 National Defense Authorization Act contains language to include extend coverage to military children to age 26, but this pending legislation would allow the Pentagon to charge military families $2400 per child per year for the extended coverage. I think you agree that it is wrong for civilians to receive this additional coverage without charge yet military families would be charged $2400 per child per year for the same benefit. I am also very alarmed that all the other chidden across America will be able to get coverage until age 26 under their parents plans, but TriCare will only cover those children that are enrolled full time in school..How is that fair and equal?

December 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  5. steve w.

Everyone should be required to have healthcare. I was one of those who used to say "I'm healthy, I don't need insurance" Yeah, till I THOUGHT i was having a heart attack. I wasn't but I also couldn't afford the hospital bill. Ever heard the expression; We grow too soon old and too late wise?? Well thats what 'healthy young people are looking at. And the Republicans are just too busy raking in the cash from the insurance companies, hospitals and doctors to care about the "hard' choices.
    they should DO WHATS NEEDED AND MAKE THE HARD CHOICES!!

December 13, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
  6. wardell hawkins

How can it be unconstitutional to require health insurance but not unconstitution to require auto insurance?

December 13, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
  7. Jim Cartner

Ali,
    If this healthcare provision Section 1501 is considered unconstitutional, what will this do to unemployment and workers comp insurance that we are mandated to buy as employees? Isn't this the same scenario as Section 1501?

December 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  8. Mary

Ali and Elizabeth
    Don't those young healthy people realize that they will get sick at some point in their lives and will need health care.
    Everybody HAS to be part of the system in order to enjoy benefits: the day will come when they will need insurance themselves.

Mary

December 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  9. Jim

Ali – I have heard that the Senate falied to include a provision in the ObamaCare bill that would allow a section of the law to be ruled unconstituional while other sections remain. If true, the entire ObamaCare law would now be ruled unconstitutional based on the ruling in VA today.

December 13, 2010 at 1:22 pm |
  10. amy

Medicare already imposes a 10% premium increase as a penalty for each year you opt out... you pay up when you opt in... how is that any different?

December 13, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  11. Gilbert G.

Ali, When you talk about youg healthy adults. They are only healthy at that moment. Many 30 & 40 year olds develope health problems. I have no problem with them Not buying health insurance, but when they have a serious event and show up at the hospital they should have to pay up front No free care. I no this sounds cruel but there is no such thing as free. All of us who have health pay for those that don't.
    It seems strange when the news people talk about this, it is never brought up about how is this healthy person going to pay for their care.

December 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  12. Lynn W.

It is fine with me if a healthy individual decides not to get insurance,
    just don't get into an accident and show up at an ER! Then, you
    should be left on the doorstep, as you apparently wished for in the first case! Otherwise, WE ALL pay for your bill, one way or another !!!

December 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  13. C Huntley

When is the media and the government going to understand that the NORMAL American without an employer, who is paying their health care premiums, can't afford health care at today's rates. I make around $30,000/year before taxes. I am self-employed and out of this amount must pay, upfront, over $5,000/year for federal and state taxes. That leaves me $25,000 to live on. Rent is $700/month. Now we are down to $16,600. That leaves $1383/month for car payments, utilities, food, clothing. You want me to buy, out of my $1383/month, $700-$1000 for health care. ARE YOU NUTS. Don't talk about me as if I am a healthy adult who just doesn't want to pay for health care. GET REAL, I am a healthy (thank goodness) adult who CAN"T AFFORD health care and who doesn't trust our government on what they tell us will happen to us if we say okay to this program. Yes, there are some great points in this bill, however, I don't agree that the government can demand I have health insurance or pay a penalty. This isn't the United States Government taking care of us, this is the Insurance Industry controlling our country.

December 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  14. frances

Ali, I am an RN and have worked in hospitals for years. When I worked in the E.R. we had to treat everyone who came to the E.R .many of whom did not pay. Of course all sick people should be treated but poeple with insurance have been covering the uninsured.

A young heathy 25 yr old who thinks he or she does not need insurance can be in an accident or require expensive medical treatment at any time and this can be truely devastating financially.

In dealing with patients and insuance as I did for approx 2 yrs I came to realize people have very little knowledge about insurance coverage – for example if 80% of their bill is covered they are still liable for the remaining 20%. This can be for example $ 30,000.00 or more – health care reform has been badly needed and most poeple are unaware of this until they are sick.

December 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  15. Kathleen

All vehicle drivers have to carry car insurance. I don't see the difference.

December 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  16. Thelma Evankovich

Where were the Republicans when the pharmacy bill was passed? I was forced to enroll, or be fined 1% per month until I wanted to join. It cost me more per year to pay this fee than my pharmacy meds cost me. I think that should be illegal,also. They stated that they would use this money to help pay for the people who had large pharmacy bills.

December 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
  17. Chris

How is this different than people being mandated to pay into social security, medicare, car insurance, home insurance, etc. Please explain this on your show. If everybody isn't forced to participate than the rest of us end up paying when the uninsured end up in the medical system for health care.

December 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  18. David - Las Vegas

Hi Ali and Elizabeth: I am opposed to forcing or fining for health insurance. That said, I am in favor of having insurance companies deny coverage for pre-existing conditions. One major argument in favor my position is when people change jobs from company A to company B, the carrier for company B will not cover pre-existing conditions. In my opinion this is not morally right. After all, the person already had insurance from company A.

As to to car insurance analogy: if you don't own a car, then you don't have to have auto insurance. Why then should people be forced to buy insurance for merely existing?

December 13, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  19. Airen

How is requiring those who are healthy to purchase medical insurance any different than requiring those who drive purchase auto insurance? By law I am required to carry auto insurance while driving, although I have never been in an accident I still have to have it, otherwise I am ticketed.

December 13, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  20. Chris

C. Huntley,

Should I be forced to pay your expensive bill when you end up in the ER and hospital for some unforeseen illness or injury? If the answer is NO then who should pay your bill if you do not have insurance?

December 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm |
  21. Carmen

Why do people confuse that which is applicable at the state level equal to those applied at the federal level. If we look at why they force auto insurance, it has been long ruled by the courts that driving is a priviledge not a right. As a priviledge the state has the right to force an individual to meet specific requirements. If you do not want to buy auto insurance you do not have to drive or own a car. Health insurance is different because if captures anyone who is alive. We maintain the right to live. If we are forced to buy health insurance for the meer right to exist would that make the right to life a Priviledge to Live. This would allow the government to legislate who we live and if we can live at all. A priviledge can be taken away a right cannot. The idea here is to look at what they are legislating. Is it you or is it your right? If we have no choices as it pertains to our right to live, the opt-out for this would be death; this is unconstitutional.

December 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  22. linda

No one has asked the question that has been on my mind.. If this is seen as unconstitutional, wouldn't the requiring of any kind of insurance also been seen the same? What if i don't want car insurance? or home owners? I shouldn't have to...

December 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  23. B Norris

Ali- Why isn't the media pointing out all the above-Either the law suits are a stupid waste of tax payers or we should file class action suits against ALL mandatory fees and taxes!!

December 13, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  24. Chuck

I think this is great. This way people who don't want to pay for their own health care can essentially have the rest of us pick up the tab. When all of these people get sick, have an accident, an injury, they go to the ER and get it for free. The hospital in turn jacks up the cost of other services and bills our insurances companies extra to cover the costs of those who don't want to pay for heath care. And of course the insurance companies have to raise our premiums accordingly.

Isn't it amazing that all of these small government, antisocial conservatives ultimately end up demanding social welfare?

December 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  25. Phil Pratz

How does mandatory health care differ from the government requiring US citizens to be in Social Security?

December 14, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  26. Gary

If I own my home I don't have to buy homeowners Ins. If I own my car I still have to buy auto ins. Is'nt this manditory health ins. ?

December 14, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  27. Winski

Since on Appeal this judge's ruling will be thrown out for obvious conflict-of-ibterest violations and bias.

But, the Guv. and the AG are starting the Klan rallies already to try and push this along to get it to the Supreme Court by Thursday. They must think that if they bring a big enough manila envelope of cash for Roberts, Alito, Thomas and Scalia, then they are a shhhooooee in..

And Virginia actually voted for the slavery-loving clowns?? Amazing....and an embarrassment to the nation.

December 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  28. Alicia Simon

Would people PLEASE stop comparing mandatory auto-insurance with mandatory health-insurance? They are COMPLETELY different. For starters, compulsory auto-insurance is by STATE. And, you can choose not to drive a car and therefore avoid that insurance.
    Regarding home-owners insurance – that is required by your lender, not the government. Huge difference.
    I believe that mandatory health insurance is a violation of the constitution.. I'm grateful that at least one judge has ruled that way.
    Let the states impost mandatory health insurance. Then we have a choice – move to a state that does/does not require it.

December 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  29. Alicia Simon

You would think those nasty, corporation-loving Republicans would be all for the health care bill because the insurance companies are going to profit enormously from this.
    And btw, get those IRS agents a-rolling, they'll be enforcing the required health insurance. There's something to look forward to!

December 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  30. Ashlyn

I'm a little confused and would like you all to please feel free to help me understand. When you go to the er and they treat you, you are billed. Won't people who decided against paying for their mandatory insurance be billed and fined? Doesnt this mean that they will be sort of paying for their health insurance anyway when they get fined?

December 20, 2010 at 12:35 am |
  31. Alicia Simon

We don't know how the people without health insurance will pay for their ER bill. They will pay for it out of their own pocket or the tax payer will get stuck with it. The "fine" for not buying health insurance will be imposed by the IRS on April 15th. That will be a seperate issue from their ER bill.

December 26, 2010 at 11:01 am |