Today on CNN Newsroom

January 17th, 2011

Employment Equality

Reverend Jesse Jackson is pushing for employment equality, and help for the millions of Americans out of work.  Today, he talked with Ali about the importance of making your voice heard.  To that point, Revered Jackson and his son, Illinois Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. are asking anyone looking for work to send them your resume.  They will take them to Washington, to show just how badly the nation is hurting during the unemployment crisis.

You can send you resume to ResumesforAmerica@mail.house.gov and have your voice heard.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors
  1. Regina M. Reid

Tried to access the link ResumesforAmerica@mail.house.gov unable to open the site. I have job searching for about eight months.

January 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  2. Vinnett

Ali, please ask Pier Morgan was his choice of having Oprah as his very first guest, was his goal to achieve The Oprah Effect? We all know everything she embraces becomes successful!

January 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  3. Maurice Jackson

Ali:

I hope some day that CNN will stop giving Jesses Jackson a forum to spout his ignorance & further give him the unwarranted notoriety he has obtained to earn a living at other peoples' expense without adding value to anybody. As a man of color, I resent that Jackson slants his rants to people of color as being disrespected & not given opportunities.

My Father was not an educated man as he quit HS to help his parents who were ill. He initially worked several menial jobs to provide for them & ultimately for his family & eventually got into the printing trade. Further, he stressed the value of education & literally pounded that into our heads. Thus I and both of my siblings are college graduates with respectable jobs & are treated as valuable resources for our companies. If people of color & other "disadvantaged" folks would get off their respective butts & seek work, they could do so & set an example for their kids. Bottom line, we would not have the great welfare society we have today.

Respectfully,

Maurice Jackson

January 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  4. Christina Ginn, CNN Producer

It's an email address. ResumesForAmerica@mail.house.gov

January 17, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  5. Edwin Mercado

Regina Reid:
    The address "ResumerforAmerica@mail.house.gov" is actually an e-mail address not a website. I don't think they're offering any jobs, either. Good luck!

January 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  6. Algernon H. Penn

Ms. Ginn, I have looked for the video of Rev. Jackson on the CNN site. Is it posted? if not is possible for me to access it somewhere else or recieve it from CNN?

January 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  7. Inez Jennings

Tried to access the link ResumeforAmerica@mail.house.gov unable to open the site. I have been job searching for over a year now.

January 18, 2011 at 3:03 am |
  8. Christina Ginn, CNN Producer

Its an email address. You need to send your resume to ResumeforAmerica@mail.house.gov. Its not a website.

January 18, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  9. Lars Bostrom

Bad email address....
    "Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.7.1 Unable to deliver to (state 14)."

January 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  10. Holly Tsur

Hurray for Rev. Jesse Jackson and his son for helping the voices of the unemployed to be heard! It's about time someone inspired unemployed Americans to march on Washington DC! I am a 57-year old white woman living in Oregon with great job skills and fabulous references. I worked as a technical writer and instructional designer in the high-tech sector for over 30 years. In all this time, I have never had as much trouble finding work as I do in this Great Recession. Since being heartlessly laid off in early 2009 by a highly profitable employer when I was in the midst of a family crisis (and after four years of great performance reviews), I have literally pumped out hundreds of resumes, networked till I'm blue in the face, and even hired a career counselor to assist in my search. In all this time, I've only managed to land three short-term contracts, and I've had to use up most of my savings in order to avoid foreclosure on my home. Those who are still employed have no idea how hard it is for us unemployed workers who are struggling so. And, those who think we're just sitting around "on the dole" are not only sadly disillusioned, they are selfishly cruel.

January 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  11. Lawrence Goldstein

ResumeforAmerica@mail.house.gov is an invalid email address. End Of Story.

January 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm |