Today on CNN Newsroom

January 20th, 2011

BIG I: Sleeping Bag Coat

Right now, more than 3,000,000 people are homeless in America.  More than 30,000 are homeless in Detroit alone.  Today's Big I highlighted a young design student who created a coat that transforms into a sleeping bag!  Its called the Element S(urvival) coat.

Click here to learn how you can help Veronika Scott get her coats made and out to the homeless.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors • The Big I
  1. sarah

Shame on you. No roof, homeless...lets just give em a coat they can travel with? Boy now I have seen it all. Wow we are REALLY helping now!

January 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  2. Tyler Malnerich

Ali, what a great thing that Veronika is doing. I love it. There is a couple that you should know about, Dave and Morgan Hansow. They have a nonprofit called Light Gives Heat (www.lightgivesheat.org) Dave and Morgan employee widows in Africa making jewelry out of recycled paper. They pay these women four times the national average. Great people.

January 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Donna Thompson

Veronika has my sincere appreciation for the humanatian gift she has invented for our homeless. I'm sure the coat/sleeping bag will be greatly appreciated.
    However the color white isn't the best choice, a dark color would be in the best interest of the coat recepient, as they won't have the money to
    clean this coat. That's assuming it's machine washable. When wool was
    mentioned i have my doubts, as that is usually not washable.
    How does it fasten in the front? I realize zippers would increase the cost,
    but it must close securely to prevent heat loss.
    However, so few people spend their time finding practable ways to help the less fortunate.
    So, God Bless You and your efforts.
    Donna

January 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  4. Ricky

Thank you Ali Velshi for mentioning the 99ers on 1/20/2011.As always you have showed respect for the suffering people.Glen Beck from Fox News doesn't.He said some 99ers are un-Americans.I think he forgot that we are almost four million people plus our family members suffering in this economy without a job.

January 20, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  5. Dennis Lukasik

I think Sarah might be missing the point – this isn't just handing people a coat and say 'all done' – it is an empowerment plan; it provides marketable job skills to the homeless who make these coats. We need to prevent people from freezing to death. This project is about saving lives and it is really myopic to think it displaces other projects to help the homeless. I'm really proud to call her my niece.

January 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  6. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua

Good on you, Ali. Your assist in publicizing the project will save innumerable lives. She couldn't do that without the high profile you are giving this. Genius needs plenty of help.

January 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  7. joseph

It is quite a wonderful story. Fantastic work you have put into the sleeping bag coat. I would love to technologically help with this project. How would we help?

January 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  8. johnny cox

Wow! thats a great ideal wish more people were thinking about others in this way...

January 21, 2011 at 5:29 am |
  9. Judy

The interview failed to mention that the non-profit involved in the Coat Project is Cass Community Social Services in the city of Detroit. At Cass, people work every day to feed and house the homeless, always offering the opportunity to come in off the streets and find help. Women from the Cass (CCSS) shelter program will now be employed to help produce these coats and distribute them. We trust that through this outreach, the homeless will come into shelters and find the help they need. For those who choose not to come, at least they will have been given a coat/sleeping bag to protect them from the cold.

January 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 19,761 other followers