Today on CNN Newsroom

March 23rd, 2011

Health Care Reform Law Turns 1

One year ago today, President Obama signed the Health Care Reform Law.  We would like to know what you think.

Leave your comments below.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors
  1. David Thelen

First, the last time I checked, diseases such as Cancer strikes everyone equally. It does not matter if you are a Republican, Democrat, Conservative or Liberal, all diseases strike everyone equally. Also, when it comes to the power of the our Earth, whether it is an earthquake, hurricane, tornado, or flooding, we are small compared to the Earth’s power. Due to these, I wish I could put American as compared to an R or D on my voter’s card. We are all on this Earth together.
    Second, as they say in business, out of 200 ideas, 2 may be doable. The US has many challenging problems. For example, 70 percent of all diseases are caused by lifestyle (obesity, smoking, lack of exercise.) Over 30 percent of Americans are obese; whereas in many other free developed countries, it is two thirds that rate. They spend one half to two thirds the rate on health care than the US. They also have lower unemployment rates (just google these statistics) than the US. Small companies in other countries can hire more people since their health insurance costs are less.
    I wished one may attend town halls of both parties. I believe all candidates should encourage people to submit ideas, no matter how silly. The more ideas submitted, the more likely we may obtain those 2 winning ideas. I wished campaign money could promote healthier lifestyles among Americans. Jobs creation may be as close as a stationary bike and for people to use them.
    I am an American first and my political party second. I wish one could vote for one of all candidates, both R and D. Then perhaps we may find a third way to solve American problems. Then we may end this insane partisan politics. As Winston Churchill once said, “courage is the ability to stand up and speak, courage is also the courage to sit down and listen. I hope political leaders will do the same.

March 23, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  2. J.D.

It should be called the Obama don't care.law
    It is for more control of United States citizens lives.
    It will be bad later on.

March 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  3. Michael Neil

I think the new health care law is holding up as well as possible. It's significant drawback was allowing the insurance industry too much power. While the pool of insured individuals may be larger and (slightly) less healthy, this has led to unjustified premium hikes by the insurance companies in order to "keep up". In point of fact, these companies are still making billions and the new health care law is merely a new whipping boy. Less compromise, a public option, and/or a single-payer system would have saved us this trouble

March 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  4. christinezacher

Let's give this reform a chance for the American people. Despite the political rantings, the bill has been successful in a number of ways. Every new reform needs to be honed, and I believe that this will also be as its advantages and disadvantages come to light. A tremendous effort has gone into making healthcare available for all Americans and to repeal this bill now would be a travesty.

March 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  5. Randy Schornack

Primary Care/ Internal Mediuce Physicans are now refusing to take any new medicare patients. Prior to passage of the act, I had medicare and private insurance. I experienced no problem changing doctors. Try changing today.

March 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  6. Rick B

So far the affordable care act has damaged health care coverage. It has caused the major insurance companies to back away from comprehensive policies and to sell cheaper policies with gaps in coverage. The law has done nothing to contain costs. No wonder the large corporations who supported President Obama have asked for waivers so that they are excepted from the law. As implementation advances, even worse results will appear. It needs to be repealed and Congress should start over.

March 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  7. ron

There are simple solutions to most large issues,We can start a medical training program that is two years that teaches spacific tratments,example a foot doctor could just learn that one aspect ,schooling would be less expensive ,lowering the cost to the consumer,a doctor may just know how to preform a single type of operation, of cource conventional doctors would allways be in need,we need to make big changes to handle big issues.

March 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  8. Jannette Bechdolt

After spending my career in corporate America (as a project manager) watching corporations cut back on health care, lay off employees and replace them with contract workers who work without health care, I feel it vitally important for my children and grandchildren to support government sponsored health care. Health care has to come from somewhere. Corporations are backing away from this responsibility in every way that they can.

March 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  9. Tasha Banat

I've heard arguments that this will force Americans to pay into the health care system. Well we already pay into that system. It is called "Medicare" and yet no one complains.

Actually, if I paid into medicare from the time I began wqorking and used it all along, it would have been much less expensive than having toi change doctors and health insurances every time I canged employment.

If we pay for Medicare, then those who want to pay extra for private insurance, can. But, like

But, like Social Security and Medicare; no one camplains and I don't see anyone forfeiting their benefits because they are rich.,

Republicans complain must better than dwemocrats, but never put their money where their mouth is. Go ahead – give back your Social Security and Medicare....After all Americans don't want it...............

March 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  10. Patrick Joseph Ledwidge

I sell healthcare for a living. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to healthcare. We are going to add 30 million to a system that is over taxed now. Also many 10s of millions of seniors that are turning 65 in the next few years will strain the system even more.
    Please let the private sector resolve the proplem.
    There are no government programs that have ever run efficiently, and now they are messing with our lives!

March 23, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  11. Charles Tait, Philadelphia, Pa.

Since the implementation of Obamacare, my heart doctor immediately cut his office hours. Obviously this was a move showing his feelings about the change.
    The GOP is crying that Obamas healthcare plan is costing jobs. It would seem that it would actually CREATE jobs.
    I think it comes down to money. The doctors want it the old way. They think that their time spent going to med school, then their internship, entitles them to a large income, time on the golf course, THEN work.
    So, why did they go to med achool? To heal their patients or make money. It seems to be the latter.

March 23, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  12. Randy Dunaieff

The only part of the health care law that has helped is the Age 26 portion. My daughter is 22.

However, the health care law has not addressed cost at all. My insurance premiums continue to rise, and I have to pay about $21,000 per year for health insurance for my family. I wouldn't need anything other than catastrophic coverage, except that the health industry rapes people on pricing if they don't have an insurance policy.

FACTS from my own history – Actual EOB's available upon request.
    LabCorp charged $898, Insurance price, $78.40.
    Sunrise Medical Labs charged $439.10, Insurance price, $43.28
    Sunrise Labs charged $244.80, Insurance price, $17.84
    Doctor Visit charged $426, Insurance price, $127.88
    Doctor charged $350, Insurance price, $87.87

In total, for this year so far, Billed charges are $3955.90, Paid $834.86

If that cost differential is not addressed, no health care law will be successful.

Thanks for listening.
    Randy

March 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  13. Bert R

The recent health care legislation is one small step in the right direction. However, it does not approach the benefits to be derived for all Americans with a single-payer system for health care. We need to adopt immediately a health care plan equivalent to that provided Canadians. Then, we can work toward improving that system. Pharmaceutical, health care supplies, and health insurance companies are robbing the American public and contributing greatly to our national deficit. Enough Already!!

March 23, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  14. Betty Turner

I hate everything about the health care law. It is yet another invasion on personal liberties. We are not supposed to be a socialist nation and with every entitlement program the government takes us closer. The people of the U.S. need to wake up and be responsible for themselves. Look at the implications this "entitlement" has. It will essentially set salaries for health care workers,dictate to people of limited wealth their treatment with no recourse, and redistribute wealth that should not belong to the government to give away. The high standards of the U.S. are being stripped away by progressive liberals in the name of social justice when there is not such a thing. There is only hard work, dedication, and love for something other than yourself.

March 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  15. Roy J. Meidinger

A Fool and his money are soon parted. A sucker is born every mnute.

The law is when a health care provider accepts a lower amont for a medical procedure, all the patients have to be billed the same amount. The new healtcare law now says this is mandatory, so why are the hospitals still allowed to over charge everyone. The healthcare industry in the united states is the only industry in the world which says their bills are meaningless, but still enforce them in court. The insurance companies determine their premium rates on the inflated bills the doctors and insurance companies issue, not on the actual amounts paid.

March 23, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  16. Bob in Dallas

I am 61. I have never had a Colonoscopy because my insurance considers the procedure well-care. They will not cover well care procedures. The NEW HEALTH CARE LAW required insurance companies to cover some well-care tests in the cost of your premiums, and not require you to have met your deductable.

So finally, I get to see a doctor. I pay a $900 monthly premium with a $7500 deductible, and could not justfy or afford the additional $3500 cost of a Colonoscopy.

Thank you to our lawmakers who understand and care!

March 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  17. SCPO John Branning, USN(ret.)

All we hear on television is how bad the Healthcare Bill is, and people like that Huckabee guy wanting everyone to sign his petition to have the bill repealed. What we don’t hear is how this bill has helped so many Americans like my daughter, who while trying to pay for college ran up outrageous student loans until she couldn’t pay for college and pay the bills too, so she had to stop going to school, and although she has a full time job, it doesn’t offer her Healthcare. But since the Healthcare Bill was passed she was able to go back on my health insurance for another year, which will help her have time to get back on her feet. The republi”cants” should be ashamed of their selves for wanting to hurt the untold numbers of Americans who have been helped by this bill. It’s about time for the “news” to tell their side of the story too. After all aren’t you suppose to be fair and balanced?

March 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  18. Ralph Nelson

It reduced the cost of health insurance from $1700 a month to $1200 for an uninsurable with the state insurance pool. But that is still 46% of my income (unaffordable) as a disabled over age 60 and not qualified for Social Security or Medicare. And the state is getting rid of its state basic health care (the insurance pool) do to the budget cuts from the recession.

March 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  19. Karin

The requirements relating to coverage of adult children will take effect for plan years beginning six months after date of enactment

This is another "Donut Hole"! My son who turned 19 in August 2010 went to college for the fall 2010 semester and was covered under our family insurance because of this. In January 2011, son did not continue college and was dropped from our health insurance family plan in January – BIG SHOCKER!! I thought he was to be covered despite not going to college until age 26! He is currently not working and cannot afford the $415/mo. premium.
    I think this is something that needs looked into and parents may not realize that if your child is over 19 and when your plan year starts. Therefore our plan year begins on July 1, 2011 and he has to go 6 months without insurance.

March 23, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  20. Frederick. Bronson

My premiums went up my co-pay went up.... The only ones who made out were illegal Hispanics they still get free health care, no co-pay, no premiums. Again WE GET IT FROM BEHIND!!!!!!! WHERE CAN I GET FAKE MEXICAN ID???? Fred Bronson

March 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  21. Roy J. Meidinger

A fool and his money are soon parted. A sucker is born every minute.

The new health care law says that when a health care provider actually accepts a lower amount of money for a health care procedure, every patient and insurance company most be billed the lower amount. So why are all the health care bills so high? The health industry in this country is the only industry in the world which submits inflated bills and does not collect the amounts billed. The insurance companies determine their premiums on the amounts billed to their policyholders and not the actual amounts billed. The insurance companies do not pass the savings of the reduced payments onto their customers. Like every other business in the world, if the hospitals and doctors were held to the billing requirements of issueing bills for the actual amount they are entitled to be paid all our health care costs would go down.

March 23, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  22. Noel Anthony Haughey

Health Care benefits today out weigh any heath care structure in the past. Democrats and Republicans were at the table negotiating the best possible Heath Care Reform for all Americans and finally passed a Bill in favor of any other strategy available. These are the first steps toward National Health Care for everybody in America. Modification maybe necessary as we go along measuring and analyzing the results to be implemented.

March 23, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  23. Bill Gummere

The healthcare market is, as markets go, a relatively inelastic one. That is to say – the demand for healthcare services is driven by human frailty, and is not closely related to the price of the services.

The market has been made more inelastic by the introduction of health care plans because these plans tend to insulate consumers from the financial consequences of their health care decisions. Extending insurance to another thirty million people is more likely aggravate the cost problem than to fix it.

If we really want to get costs under control, we should abolish most health insurance plans (including Medicare) and force the health care industry to make itself affordable. This would be facilitated by a well designed Health Savings Account plan supplemented by catastrophic insurance plan.

March 24, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  24. tonigbourne

When my husband and I planned for an early retirement we were both in our 50's. Not only were we retiring, but we were moving to Nashville, TN. Since we resigned from our jobs, we knew we would have to buy health insurance and dental insurance in Tennessee. We purchased a PPO family plan, for just my husband and me, through "Wise Health Insurance". We paid for the family plan ourselves, initially, the cost was a little less than $400 a month for both of us. Our co-pay was very reasonable at $25 each per office visit.

March 24, 2011 at 3:47 am |
  25. Dan

So, my only question. If this is such a great bill, why are there currently 28 states, yes you read right, 28 states challenging this bill in court? It may have something to do with "forcing" people to buy in to it or be fined. What's next, the government is going to tell me what kind of steaks to buy (sorry PETA).

March 24, 2011 at 6:20 am |
  26. marlin thompson

OBAMA did a great thing-now we must go after the health care providers-they are the ones who make healthcare out of reach to the poor communities-healthcare providers do not care about poor communities-they expect everyone to pay high family cost-then wonder why we end up in the emergency room with no insurance–low payments is the only answer-NO HUMAN LEFT BEHIND.COM

March 24, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  27. Jerry B. Jordan

Why don't Americans have the right to join the same healthcare plan they buy for the Congress?

March 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
  28. Roger McMillan

I am a Canadian and although our health care system in not perfect, it exists and has it own issues. For example, Health care cost in Canada (it various from province to province) consumes about 40% of the provincial GDP. At the rate of increase it will exceed 100% of GDP. by the year 2020. The good news is there will be less government. The ministry of finance to collect the taxes and give it to the ministry of Health. Unfortunately, the US has a much more difficult task and it has to deal with many other cultural and social barriers. Tort law has to change so that doctors dont have to look over their shoulders every time they make a mistake. Yes gross negligence should be penalized but as it stands now, the it is unworkable. The second part is the cost of drugs which is controlled by the pharmaceutical companies. There are profits and there are super profits. I am a card carrying capitalist but...there are limits to morality.
    So when you consider the corollary changes that need to be required, current health care reform law is just a "castle in the sky" It will never be workable.

March 26, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  29. EruditeMan

Nowhere in written papers of the framers of the United States can a hint suggesting the Federal Government should absolve all citizens of all personal responsibility be found. It is a travesty that personal freedoms have zero value and garner no consideration of any Senator or Representative (especially since they always exempt themselves from laws they foist upon us). It is a shame that a person who refuses to prove he's eligible for residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC can be allowed to foist unmanageable debt upon this nation. This country will fail financially so Obama-(un)care will be meaningless as we are all stripped of individual and corporate accumulated wealth. Some writers of comments for this article assert lack of complaint about the Social unSecurity Ponzi and Medicare scheme suggest it is an acceptable confiscation of private property. I disagree. I have been vocally opposed to Social inSecurity my entire working career. I've been given no choice in the matter, because, if I were able to choose I would have opted out and therefore be able to retire quite comfortably now on nothing more than what was stolen from me and my employers for the past 43 years. As things develop now, I expect before I retire in 7 years Social inSecurity will be worthless as result of hyperinflation or collapse of United States currency. I expect Congress to confiscate my personal IRA and 401-k savings account just as other nations have done so with their citizens when they failed economically (see Yugoslavian history a few years ago).

March 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  30. Poetry

It's appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be happy. I have read this publish and if I may I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing issues or tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I desire to learn even more things approximately it!

April 5, 2012 at 11:05 pm |