Today on CNN Newsroom

June 3rd, 2011

Dr. Jack Kevorkian's Death

The man nicknamed Dr. Death passed away.  Click here to read up on his death.

How do you feel about his passing?  Did he hurt more than help or help more than hurt?

Leave your comments below.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors
  1. Steven Durst

I think he was a great role model for god. He pulled no punches, said the truth. We will all miss him.

June 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  2. Don R

I believe he did some people a great service. People should be able to die with dignity, and NOT at the pleasure of of others. True, is it hard to lose a loved one. But on the same token, it is hard to watch them suffer before they die.

June 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  3. Kay

Here is a little verse I recently composed:

You won’t hire me because of my age, so I can’t earn a living;
    You want to extend the wait for me to qualify for social security, which I have paid into all my life;
    I must prematurely spend down my life savings, just to survive;
    You charge me health insurance premiums that cost more than my mortgage payment each month;
    My medications cost several hundred dollars, each;
    I don’t qualify for Medicare now, and it probably won’t be there when I do;
    Why not let me choose to die with dignity, under medical supervision?
    You are killing me anyway…..

Signed,
    A sixty one year old American

June 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  4. Bryan

Why is it humane to put an animal out of its misery but aweful to do the same for a human? I do believe hes helped more then hurt because hes brought this to the forefront

June 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  5. Andrew Parness

Dr. Jack Kevorkian was a wonderful smart man and a hero. I'm glad he shared time on this Earth with me.

June 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  6. Gwinne

I am not sure as humans that we can opine on whether he did more good than not but I know one thing; we are kinder to our animals (we put them to sleep when needed) than people, and we are so focused on ourselves and our lives that maybe we are missing the real point. Quality versus Quantity.

June 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  7. AL ANDREWS

I THINK JACK"DR DEATH" BROUGHT TO LIGHT THE FACTS THAT OUR DOCTORS ARE TOO AFRAID TO GIVE OUT ENOUGH STRONG MEDICINE TO MAKE ONE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH TO PREVENT THEM FROM DESIRING TO SEARCH OUT SUCH DESPERATE MEASURES AS HE PROVIDED–

June 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  8. Nikki

I can respect Dr. Kevorkian much more than doctors who abort innocent babies, because at least his patients willing and knowingly gave their consent to die.

June 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  9. matt

i think what he did was great...nobody wants to die a long painful death...why wouldn't you help them if they want you to...isn't that what dr's are supposed to do is help people feel better and not be in pain

June 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  10. mark koenig

He eased suffering for people who asked for his help. He wasn't traveling from ICU to ICU and deciding what lives to take. Americans are huge fans of imposing their belief structure on everyone else around them, there is no tolerance for viewing the world in any other way. If a person is of sound mind and is suffering with no end in sight except for death anyway, why hold on for years of suffering at the hands of doctors who have taken an oath to do no harm, yet seem to have no qualms about extending the period of suffering by prolonging life and then espousing to try to provide comfort at the end. Just another example of the nanny state where I am not responsible enough to make the tough and potentially hazardous decisions for myself.

June 3, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  11. Melissab

After having to see my dad suffer with Leukemia for almost 3 years was very hard, especially in those last few months before he passed, AND also having to see my step father suffer with Esophageal Cancer for about a year, a year in which he lost about 70lbs+, pretty much starving himself because he couldn't keep food down, and finally just basically deteriorating, in the worst pain you can imagine......Just put yourself in these people's shoes....people that you hold dear to your heart that you have to see suffer EVERYDAY, what would make you feel better? Knowing that they aren't in pain or having to see this day after day? And better yet, what would make THEM feel better? Yes, of course, it's hard to deal with the death of them, but honestly after they passed it was almost a relieving feeling knowing that they weren't in pain anymore. I have to say that I was NOT against what Dr. Kevorkian did, I believe in every way that he was just trying to help people. I'm sure he did not in any way try to force people into making these decisions, so what's the big deal?

June 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  12. Tom Powell

I think that assisted suicide is in a way, very closely aligned with abortion. I don"t feel that either one is right for me but it's a personal decision that everyone must make for themselves based on their situation and moral turpitude. I don't feel a need to control or decide for others.

June 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  13. Melissab

OH, and, check out "You Don't Know Jack" on HBO about Dr. Kevorkian's journey. Great story and gives you more understanding as well.
    RIP Jack Kevorkian

June 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  14. KEN

Dr.JACK was a saint, He in opion he helped more than he hurt, it's to bad we lost him i could'nt believe it.. He will be missed...REST IN PEACE JACK

June 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  15. Charlene

I agree with the Valedictorian, since when can the government take our 1st amendment away from us that believe in prayer. This is becoming a ridiculous contest. The 1st amendment gives us the "Right to Freedom of Speech" and it seems every day that freedom is taken away from the United States of America. Our founding fathers built this country on belief in GOD and should not be taken away. Bring back the constitution of the United States and quit trying to change it. Also the same thing happened back in the 60's because of one person taking prayer out of schools. If the student doesn't want to pray then don't, but don't condemn the rest of the students that want it. Also what happened to the constitution that says church and state are separate. That is also going away, and I for one don't believe that is right. Please bring prayer back to all schools. The statistics show that since prayer has been taken away, children grow up on the wrong side and that is why the world is like it today.

June 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  16. Angela

I hold a lot of respect for Dr. Jack Kevorkian. He willingly did what others won't or can't do.
    This isn't about suicide and murder, these people were already dying. He just spared them the inevitable.
    The truth of the matter is there are a lot of terminal diseases that still don't have cures or any way to be stopped until it's host is dead. Why put yourself through the agony when you know the pain you are currently suffering will only get worse (especially when the morphine stopped working months ago); and the other drugs that might work are illegal, not approved, or unaffordable. The only way to stop the agony today is to die.
    If this was your parent, sibling, spouse, or child would you visit them everyday and watch them suffer, knowing they aren't even allowed to die with dignity?

I don't think Dr. Kevorkian was so wrong, just simply empathetic.

June 3, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  17. Terry Washington State

Dr. Kevorkian aided in lives of misery, pain and mental anguish come to a peaceful end. I think the was before his time. There are countries that have had these laws carefully monitored and there are two states now that have death with dignity laws. I'm glad with the health ailments I have to know if I ever get so bad, there could be a way to medically end it. For many of these people, they wouldn't still be alive if not for medical intervention. I never saw him as a bad, mean spirited or despicable man as the media of the day did. I watched a great documentary about the man on HBO a year or so ago which was raw and insightful.

June 3, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  18. Tina Pugh

As a RN for more than 20 years, I believe that Dr Kevorkian brought to the publics notice the need for understanding of terminally ill patients and the suffering that accompanies it. Europe has a much better understanding of euthanasia as it is legal in many countries. The problem in America is doctors are afraid of lawsuits from the family which is not keeping the patients welfare number 1. We as a people need to petition our governement to make the needed changes so that if someone wants to die but cannot at their own hand it is not illegal for a family member to give them the needed assistance to stop the suffering.

June 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  19. Tony

I think he was right in what he did. People should be able to decide whether they want to live or not, especially when they are in a lot of pain. It all goes back to the constitution and you should have the right to self medicate as you see fit, even without a doctor's permission, adult's are not kid's and should not need a prescription from another adult for pain. The government does NOT own our bodies and that is obviously why people do drug's whether they are illegal or not PERIOD.

June 4, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  20. pam

As a nurse, I admired what Jack stood for. People have the right to die any way they want to and many patients are forced into many unnecessary or unwarranted tests and procedures only to die a painful, drawn out death. I want to go on my own terms-not pad the pocketbook of physicians or hospitals. States should follow the lead of Oregon. I made myself a DNR at the age of 40 so hopefully I will avoid a painful exit from this world. RIP Jack.

June 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  21. Juan

I have the right to die, no one can tell me any other way. God can judge me not these religious people who try to push their own values on you. whether is was right or not who are we to decide

June 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm |