Today on CNN Newsroom

July 10th, 2011

Black Man Helps Run Whites-Only Scholarship

Joseph Rich (left) receives $500 scholarship for whites only presented by Marcus Carter

On July 6, Joseph Rich became the fourth recipient of $500 from the Former Majority Association for Equality, a group that gives out scholarships to white men only. Its vice president is Marcus Carter, an African-American. Carter and his friend and F.M.A.F.E. President Colby Bohannan spoke with CNN's Don Lemon about why they say it's time for a grant like theirs.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. Ebony

If this organization is not about race then why not help all races of kids who want to go to college.

July 10, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  2. Ralph Goober

It would be nice to have more detailed information about this program as to why they think it is necessary to have such a scholarship, what is the criteria to recieve it, the interview segment did not provide much information.

July 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  3. Haley

I thought it was a great interview, I have two boys that will need help with college in the future. We hope to use my husbands GI Bill when he returns from his 7th deployment on him so he can get a job when he is done with the army. Both of these men have been in my house, ate dinner and played ball with my kids. We love them both like brothers and only wish good for the cause they are fighting for. They are both winners in my book!, good job!

July 12, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  4. Kris

I think this is just as much about race as any other scholarship designated to any specific group of people. However, seeing that nearly every group has scholarships similiar to this one, I honestly have no problem with it.

July 15, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  5. Terry

Well, I finally got time to leave my comment today. Don Lemon's reaction to this scholarship, I found a little disturbing. It's not just the NAACP and other minority groups that should only be allowed to have scholarships such as this regardless of who is setting them up. It is long overdue that someone, whether they be white or otherwise, step up and finally not be afraid to do something like this. The whites have kept their mouths shut for far too long for fear of being called racists if they were to even think of doing anything for a cause like this. There are other matters in our society that should be talked about regarding white people also but nobody seems to have the guts to do it for fear of reprisals by the media or the NAACP. I congratulate the gentlemen that have started this scholarship as higher education of any sort is a financial hardship to white people too. It seems to be thought by the media and the NAACP that every white person can afford the cost of higher education when it is a select few that can due to their families' financial situation. The rest incur huge student loan debt in order to get their education the same as any other race does except due to quotas, the white person has to have a much higher GPA to get into a higher educational facility in most cases. The cost for all races has been driven up because foreign students have the large amount of money to pay for their education when they come here and because the institutions know they can charge them these huge amounts, they figure the rest of those BORN in this country can afford to compete financially.

July 26, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  6. Lauren

I am an african American female,I don't see any issue with this White only Scholarships. Their are plenty of minority scholarships available so why is it such a big deal for this one. Is it because a Black man is helping out? Whether its a white only, black only, or hispanic only scholarship, The most important thing is that everyone needs some help with the stress of financial diffcults within gaining higher education. Everyone deserves the opportunity to recieve an education whether their black, white, poor or rich.

August 1, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  7. m

I have seen whites help with Black only scholarships...
    Stop complaining...
    No scholarship should have a color!

August 11, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  8. ajajaj

no scholorship should be limited by race, just like anything else. people will never be completely tolerant of other colors,

December 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm |