Today on CNN Newsroom

August 17th, 2011

9/11 First Responders Snubbed for 10th Anniversary

9/11 first responders, who risked their lives to save others, are not being invited to New York's 10th anniversary memorial service due to space restraints.  Brooke spoke to retired NYPD officer James Ryder, who is extremely angry that first responders are being "betrayed."   He says Mayor Bloomberg could figure out how to get elected three times, but can't figure out how to find first responders a seat?

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Carol Olsen

My son Fire fighter Jeffrey Olsen was crushed to death trying to save frightened people on 9/11 – my son-in-law fire fighter Kevin Dinkins barely escaped as the building came down around them – the people responsible for not recognizing the sacrifices they made and other first responders make every day aren't worth these heroe's spit – My family had no intention of going to Ground Zero to listen to the self aggrandizement of these insincere politicians and I would encourage other first responder families to not attend.

August 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  2. Adam G

I have seen the repeated coverage on the "extremely angry" NYPD officer. I am offended by his comment about Soldiers being second responders. If he would stop to think about his fellow NYPD members and friends, he may realize some of those people were the first responders overseas and are still responding on multiple tours. I know many 9/11 first responders serving over seas and are not able to attend the memorial due to their dedication to this country, but would never make such a public outcry. Please show a little more respect for fellow responders, police, fire and the United States Military.

August 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  3. Patty Brady

What are they thinking??? If it were not for the first responders alot more people would have died. They did not even stop to think about their safety, their goal was to save others. My son David Ramsey is a first responder, he also went to New York to help after that awful day, and would do the same again. How dare the City of New York deny them the recognition for what they had done. Has any one stopped to think that possibly the familys of the fallen may want to say thank you. For once in our lives stop all the goverment involvement and think with our hearts.

August 18, 2011 at 10:04 am |
  4. Unjust_Era

I think it's a numbers problem... so many families of those that lost their lives may want to be there, including first responders families. Not sure how big this memorial will be, but they should open the doors and not limit the amount that wish to be there. Sorry for everyone's loss...they are still in many Americans' prayers and thoughts

August 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  5. srhie

Mr. uninvited first responder,

I am wondering if USS New York may be a better place to be invited to.

Perhaps, you should contact the president, secretry Panetta, and secretary of Navy.
    After all, shouldn't the vessel be the part of it?

O, by the way, please don't forget to invite me as your friend. I would love to be on the deck.

thanks in advance,
    srhie

August 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Dynomoose

They aren't being snubbed. they're giving the family members of the fallen a little space to remember their loved ones.

August 23, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  7. Delisa Edrington

This is so wrong on so many levels. I will never forget watching tv and the computer that day. I worked at a retail store ... I think we had about 10 customers and we were 10000 miles away. The world stopped. To any family that lost someone that fateful day ... my prayers are always with you. For the true Americans we will NEVER forget. To the politicians ... you know where you can go

August 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  8. Flo

Shame on Bloomberg for not inviting the first responders. I hope he never needs one. I will turn off the tv when he gets up to the podium and I hope other people do too. How do people like this get elected?

August 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  9. EQ4ALL

Bloomberg makes me sick! Boycott the thing.

August 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  10. sarah morgan

The first responders were not "invited" to the original 911 either...they just came. Thank God for that as they saved many lives that day........and in so doing.....many lost their own lives.
    I hope that on this 10th anniversary event at Ground Zero that they have also not been invited to, that once again....they just come. NYC may not be inviting them, but I'm sure the vast majority of the American people would be more than willing to invite them there.....Shame on the NYC politicians.

August 25, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  11. Patricia Montano-Novak

This has got to be one of the most terrible slights ever. I never ever liked bloomberg. I think he is a big sneak and now an even bigger snake. If he ever needs the help of these wonderful professionals, I hope they do not have room to move their rigs!!!!! He just plain sucks.

August 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  12. Ryan

Sadly this is par for the course for those of us who strive to serve the public everyday. It's mostly a thankless job which makes even the smallest of niceties seem like a grand event. I'm proud of the firefighters, EMTs, and police officers who responded that day and proud to call a few of them friend. I know that there is limited space but to deny a spot to the men and women who lost friends and family, both blood and that type of family that develops from working day in and day out with someone under the most stressful of situations, is almost criminal. It makes me sad that these men and women, some of whom paid the ultimate price, won't have anyone at the anniversary to remember them. I know the politicians of this country could care less but I hope that everyone involved with 9/11 in a first responder capacity knows they are respected and loved by the rest of us in the public service sector.

August 25, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Kamie Hagey

Once again leave it to a politician to make a mocery of something so sacred as remembering the people that this is for! My husband is a fireman, and they are a family! He and his crew save each other everytime they go into a stucture fire or on a call. Those men have bonds, their families make bonds, it's AMAZING! How about they have a memorial service without mayor BUTTHOLE, and just do it for them. I think the mayor just ruined any shot of a repeat win with this. How demoralizing.

August 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  14. Roxanne Carol Montuoro

If it were not for the first responders risking their lives to save others, many would not be here now.

Do the people responsible for the ceremony need the room for all of the celebrities and politicians??? They have to soak up all of the limelight, of course, and to have the spotlight and cameras on them!!!!!

The American public, the people whom you serve and protect, respect you and love you, and thank God every day for keeping us safe.

August 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  15. Jennifer

Apperently Bloomberg was never a first responder. He doesn't understand that the individuals that don the badge, don the fire suit, don the garb of the first responders become a family, as close as one by blood. Blood doesn't make a family. I say that since the first responders weren't invited on that day 10 years ago, but still went should do so again. That is were they need to be, for themselves, for their fallen Bretheren, for the families and for NYC and the country.

August 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  16. Michael Mahoney

Dear Carol Olsen, I knew your son Jeff. He was one of the funnest and funniest people I have ever met, and I will always miss all the times that we didn't have in the last ten years. I agree with your analysis of this shameful display "anniversary." None of the attendees truly care about the sacrifices that Jeff and so many others made and continue to make, only how they can best capitalize on the events to further their own private interests.I promise as much prayers and love as I and my children can provide to you and your family as you re-live these events once again. I have the mass card with Jeff gone fishing in hand. If you ever want to talk about who did this and why, I have spent much time on the matter. Unfortunately it won't provide relief or closure, but sometimes knowledge alone has its' advantages. Neil could speak with Matt if you want to contact, and I could take you out to dinner.
    Best regards to you, Carol and your family.
    ......and to everyone else, PLEASE WAKE UP before all is lost.
    Become informed, become engaged.

August 28, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  17. Harold McLelland

UNINVITED

They say that these are uninvited.
    That there's no need to get excited.
    What if they were not welcome on 9/11?
    The First Responders, who are now in heaven.

Did they say, "Why should we put our lives in danger,
    And all for the sake of a total stranger?
    No, it was their job to go, where others do not go.
    They risk their lives daily, these things they know.

Without their sacrifice, many more would have died that day.
    They climbed those stairs, while others were trying to get away.
    Make way for them, please move to the right.
    Each one knowing, this may be their last fight.

As the Opening of the 9/11 Memorial draws near,
    We wish that our friends and loved ones were here.
    Mayor Bloomberg claims, there is space constraints, there's nothing we can do.
    The event is only for victim's families but shouldn't this be in their honor too?

May we ask the ones who escaped the hands of death,
    To brave First Responders, they owe their very breath.
    The crew members were family, to the First Responders who died.
    Not seeking hero status, for they do their job with a sense of pride.

As you go about your day and you encounter a First Responder,
    Thank them, for they are a commodity we should not squander.
    Tell them how much you appreciate, what all they do.
    They will tell you to save your praise for their fallen crew.

Dedicated to all the First Responders who lost their lives on September 11, 2001

Harold McLelland
    DoD Federal Firefighter
    08/29/2011

August 29, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  18. Ian MacKersie

I'm a proud former service member and current volunteer firefighter/first responder. I'm rememberance of all who lost their lives that day or lived and continue to risk their lives, I will be saluting as the flag at my station is lower to half mast.
    The politicians should be ashamed of themselves for denying all those that responded to show. The site is 16 acres. That's more than enough room for families and first responders to attend.
    If a politician is injured during the ceremony, I hope they have the balls to ask for a first responder to help them and be denied. Maybe then they will realize their mistake in not inviting them to a ceremony for families both blood and uniform.

August 29, 2011 at 1:11 am |
  19. Brenda Tyson

The poem written by a First Responder should be read aloud within hearing distance of the 9/11 ceremonies. How dare that ungrateful mayor exclude these heroes...THEY are what we remember in our minds....going up the stairs to obvious death in hopes they may have helped ONE total stranger. What an AWESOME WRITING! Thank you, Mr. McLelland! For all those First Responders who daily risk their lives in an instant.....Thank God for all you do and are standing ready to do. May God Bless and cup His Hand around each of you as you selflessly give yourself for a total stranger. "No greater hath any man than to lay down his life for his brother." THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS/GALS!

August 29, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  20. Tina ruiz*

Shame on u Mayor Bloomberg! 25,000 more lives would have been lost if not for these brave men and women had not gone back in. I will be turning my car lights on and leaving a light on my porch in support of both inviting and a personal apology from the Mayor. I hope more do the same.

September 6, 2011 at 1:35 am |
  21. Wildwind

To the firefighters and their families of NY: We did not forget, We will not forget
    You may not be at the ceremony thanks to politicians, because they seem to have forgotten:

Who was First in and Last out on 911.

We, the American people remember! You are in our hearts, minds and prayers as we move through this date in history.

September 10, 2011 at 9:00 am |