Today on CNN Newsroom

September 2nd, 2011

Comedian apologizes for rant on Mexicans

Comedian Katt Williams is apologizing now for some jokes he made about Mexicans that many in the audience thought went way too far. He joked about them being landscapers and how they should go back to Mexico. An audience member got riled up over it and was eventually escorted out of the show. Luis J. Rodriguez is an author who focuses on Latino issues and he tells CNN's Brooke Baldwin how he feels about Williams' rant.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Morris Travis

For Mr Rodriguez, the comedians jokes were in comparison of bopth races. Also, it is interesting how the Latin culture does not recognize that the Civil Rights struggle included them and the Latin Culture does not acknowledge this. I, also, have to say that Mr. Williams jokes were not threatening physical harm as compared to Tracy Morgan and I feel that CNN should show this instead questioning where do we draw the line, where was the line drawn during the Civil Rights Movement and even today with the rudeness and disrespect towards our President Obama???

September 3, 2011 at 2:00 am |
  2. Takesajoke

While it's unfortunate the "fan" was offended, he should have realized he was attending a comedy show. I wonder if he would be offended if Carlos Mencia said the same joke?

September 3, 2011 at 9:42 am |
  3. Robert Huebbe

Who goes to a comedy show expecting it to be politically correct. Mr. Williams makes comments about everyone. You should not focus on a 10 min section of one show. Are we going to start monitoring everything that is said by everyone so that no one was offended?

September 3, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  4. Mrslmer

There should be NO apology. The 'rant' was dead on true. It was deserved because he was being heckled AND it was delivered humorously!! There is always truth in comedy!! Suck it up and get the message. I think what he said was appropriate and I will never apologize for it!

September 3, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  5. Blackheywood

I am not a Katt Williams fan,I despise him but he was 100% correct. If you live in America but your loyalties are with another country then you do not belong here. Katt is correct, this nothing racist about his statement. It sad when a Black man defends America others want him to apologize.

September 3, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  6. Barbara McKee

I am proud of Katt Williams! It is about time someone told it like it is! I will totally support him in all future shows!! Keep it true and that's the facts. He spoke for many Americans and how they feel.

September 3, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  7. Luis S.

Good morning, i was waiting half an hour for this, this joke of a interview, now i know that some people are brought to this life only to make us laugh and nothing else...good one on that ...."have a good one in LA"

September 3, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  8. david sanchez, new mexico

People say exactly what they mean, once it's out of their mouth, no getting it back.

This guy is in AZ with their controversial immigration law, and he throws gas on the fire with stupidity, by trying to patronize the AZ crowd.

Apology not accepted

September 3, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  9. CNN watcher

Katt Williams rocks. No apology needed. It's comedy. Let's discuss topics that matter like the economy. Comedy is meant to be entertainment. As he said, if you don't like it then don't attend his show.

September 3, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  10. Trywine

Great interview! I really appreciate you standing behind your art while also defending our country. It's comforting to know some of you comedians are still real!

September 3, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  11. carla

hey tj what's going on:
    i think katt makes people laugh by talking about other people.....that's what he does and i don't think he should apoligize to that guy in the audiance the guy did say sorry to america......i will continue to watch katt williams and laugh and i will continue to watch you on cnn....let not make our comedians politically correct or we as americans are losing freedom of speech

September 3, 2011 at 11:11 am |
  12. tom durbino

Kat is a comedian, his routines are about being real about everything,thats what he was doing...being real and reacting to a heckler.

September 3, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  13. Roger D. Razo Sr.

I at one point have been a fan of Mr. Wiliiams.His shows very brash but funny. I am not quite sure what exactly was said. But if it were the other way around there would be an uproar in the Afican community rightfully so. I just wanted to say my piece on this matter and also I am an American Mexican as I prefer to say. It cannot be a one way street on all matters of race to move forward. But as it seems to me at this point it will be brushed under the rug. thank you I hope that I haven't offended anyone this should be closely scrutinized as anyone else.

September 3, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  14. bigwood

nothing wrong with Katt Williams comments. we have the right to say things that may be inflammatory to a minority. the problem with the minority is that there is a majority that doesn't care or doesn't agree

September 3, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  15. kay

I am not a mexican but rather an American. I totally disagree with this son of the slave that all Black Americans are slave. I am a Nigerian from Africa, I came here to work as a professional not as a slave. I will recommend this guy to think well before he talks. All comedians are known to be deep thinkers and not shallow thinker like him. Thanks

September 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  16. Linda Lee

There is NO NEED to apologize to ANYONE when the COUNTRY you live in is being attacked verbally or whatever means. People seem to have forgotton it does not matter what colors of skin you have – you live in the land of USA – the Greatest country in the world! As stated by Mr. Katt Williams, 'Leave if you don't like it...." People – truth hurts! You would not have a country if you continue to segregate races, genders. etc... WAKE UP!

September 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  17. Helen Thompson

The media is being ridiculously hard on Katt Williams, he is only speaking the truth. I am an immigrant who chose to come to this country. Most americans I came across welcomed me with open arms. I would be ungrateful to talk badly about America. I do love my country but when I needed a new home America opened its doors to me. If you don't like it here you should leave. And yes, black people did clear a path for me, I am not black but I am grateful to them too, I think they have suffered for me and I thank all black people for that too.

September 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  18. nathaniel harms

sometimes the truth hurts,this is not mexico anymore,if you love mexico so much why are you here! i guess its not that bad make your money here send it all back to mexico wow.

September 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  19. Truth n Just us

Katt was correct. Our ancestors labored for free at no will of their own. Latinos had a choice. Paid employment. Unfair, but paid. They can go back and create a thriving society. They do well here, too. This is an American pride issue. We are here together. USA 1st. Our homelands of orgin 2nd. This one fact is what upsets many people about immigration. Our country is being used by many illegals at the expense of the middle class. It is not just Mexico. Look at what happened with the Presidents aunt and uncle. The President is totally embarrassed, unfortunately. Katt just made the revelation that many of us think instead of say. Mexicans die every day for this country in the army as soldiers. Some are not even citizens. Let's bond as Americans. If you want to be here, act like one. Say the pledge, sing the song, love the country. Love Katt Williams for using the freedom of speech we are proud to have. God bless American and Katt for his courage.

September 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  20. lioneagle

Greetings –

Interesting that Katt Williams said on CNN that he is a Christian; he also mentioned JESUS.

Katt Williams’ apology on CNN might as well not have been an apology. It wasn’t a solid apology; it was lame. He didn’t own up to his misconduct. It’s a disappointment that he didn’t repair the damage that he caused. Isn’t that what a true Christian would do?

I thought that Katt would man up and admit that he went exceedingly over the line with his venom spewed comments.
    Even if the heckler did utter something insulting, Katt's response was beyond justifiable. He went in low life mode, even for a comedian.

Here Katt is mostly blaming the heckler. Why didn't Katt take some responsibility for his cruel comments relative to a whole race of people?

I have an issue that Katt expressed on CNN that he is a Christian. That utterance is a shame to GOD'S name. GOD certainly doesn't approve of what Katt so vilely expressed in Phoenix.

Katt said that he was addressing one man there, the heckler. Katt wasn't just addressing one man. He spoke in foul terms quite a bit about Mexicans NOT one Mexican.

Katt didn't humble himself on CNN. Certainly, he should have. He publicly brought shame to GOD'S name. GOD shall humble/shame him – publicly. It shall come to pass...

September 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  21. Daniel Holt

I don't find any Humor in making fun of any race and if you do then your Ignorant.. If it was a White man making fun of a black man you would never hear the end of it or someone making fun of gays The Conversation no one will talk about. It don't matter if your white, black brown or blue as you may say lighten up, I just say there are more funny things then race or gender to laugh about.. ....................I do understand blacks feel there looked at different and I see that, I see Mexican are taken advantage of..........How could you support any racism as are we not above that in 2011........... I Have Black White Hispanic, Asian and gay friends as I don't look at color or gender.... I look at them as friends and would be there for each and everyone.

September 9, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  22. Q.

I agree with Katt.

September 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  23. frederick bronson

Thank You Mr. Williams there are very few who speak the truth, these hispanics seem to think their s-it does not stink and that we owe them they do not like to hear the truth as they know they are jotos, girl beating low life. they ruined their own country and come here to do the same thing here, if they were real men they would fix their own country. Thank You Katt Williams you are my hero. I LOVE AMERICA, and F-CK MEXICO and MEXICANS.........!!!!!!!! frederick bronson

September 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  24. Tom

Making fun of our racial differences and stereotypes can be funny.

Racism, on the other hand, is never funny.

September 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  25. DuJuan Johnson

His "rant" is HILARIOUS! I wish he'd stand up to the PC Police and tell them where to stick it when they demand he do The Apology Tour.

September 30, 2011 at 7:11 pm |